WTF is Al Davis doing?

Yeah Gallery was an absolute nut in college and all 32 teams had him pretty much as a cant miss OT (ala Orlando Pace, Tony Boselli). Just so happened it didnt work out for Gallery, but I still agree with the pick at the time.

Thanks, Mully. Like I said I haven't watched a Raiders game in ages so I was curious what the reality of the situation is.

Those weren't ESPN "inaccuracies", they were just my opinions at first glance, but are probably swayed by the media and ESPN. Sapp maybe full of shit, I can believe that and and I know Walker isn't the Javon Walker from Green Bay. Too bad, because he was a great receiver there.

Here's still my issue with Hall. What are you telling your fan base? No owner or front office wants to admit we screwed up and screwed up royally. They give Hall a HUGE contract and Atlanta a 2nd rounder and give up after 8 games. Can't you move him to nickel or dime back? By cutting half way through the year you're telling your fans we really screwed this one up. Unless he has major incentives for % of plays, games played, etc. it's not going to cost you anything more to cut him after the season or at least try to trade him for a late round pick. But flat out cut him after 8 games when he's already new to the system and on his 2nd coordinator doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Denny Green was in full denial about drafting Demetrius Underwood until the day he left the Vikings. It's just rare IMO the message Davis is sending fans.

Bro, the ESPN quote came from the fact that AD has spent 40+ years ignoring the media and it comes back on him 10X...everything on BSPN is negative...not that the last six years haven't been a complete clusterf*ck.

DHall was due $16M next year guaranteed against injury...Raiders gave him the option of renegotiating and he refused. They need that $16M desperately to keep Aso...he is their only "full-time" player to merit Pro Bowl consideration. (Lechler is also the World's best punter and the Polish Cannon is not too shabby...you know your team blows when you're talking up special teams.)

The Raiders run a zone blocking scheme and believe that you can "plug in" average FAs and make them good...thus the lack of high draft picks the last couple of years. Their tackles are horrendous...LT - Kwame Harris was a bust of a 1st rounder in SF (he was signed to a front loaded contract and will be gone...2nd RD pick in '07 Mario Henderson will get a shot.) RT - Cornell Green is a career backup. (Guards and Center have been OK.)

I see AD and The Raiders getting hammered left and right but it wasn't that long ago they were in the Super Bowl (only 8 teams: NE, Carolina, Philly, Pitt, Sea, Indy, Chi & NYG have been in a SB since the Raiders went...IMO, the "fans" calling them the NFL's worst franchise can STFU) and have a history of success rivaled only by a handful of NFL teams...that was all a result of having Al Davis as Owner...:shake:

Mully :cheers:

This is who I want as coach.

JIM HARBAUGH TO THE RAIDERS?

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 5, 2008, 9:10 p.m.
Could we have two Harbaugh brothers as NFL head coaches?
Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News reports that it’s generally assumed that Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, brother of Ravens coach John Harbaugh, is likely to get an offer to become the next head coach of the Oakland Raiders after the season is over.
Kawakami quotes an unnamed source as saying, “Everybody knows Al loves Harbaugh, but why would Harbaugh want that job? He could wait at Stanford a little longer and get a real job.”
But, according to Kawakami, Harbaugh loves Davis, too, and is one of the few coaches in football who might see working for Al Davis as desirable.
Kawakami, the reporter who had the infamous dust-up with a Raiders official earlier this season, also writes that interim head coach Tom Cable has no chance of being offered the job on a permanent basis after the season. Writes Kawakami, “Cable is so long gone that Al’s lieutenants don’t even have to bother to back-stab him.”

:cheers:

Great take from PFW:

Raiders owner Davis begins to correct mistakes with release of CB Hall
By Dan Parr
Nov. 5, 2008

After a frustrating 2-6 start, including a shutout loss to the Falcons in Week Nine, Raiders owner Al Davis officially waived CB DeAngelo Hall on Wednesday and he is expected to release other several players, including WR Javon Walker in the near future, reports indicate. The roster overhaul could include as many as 12 players, according to reports. The Raiders, who traded a second-round pick for Hall just last winter, will have paid him $8 million for eight games. NFL.com reports that waiving Hall will save the club $16 million in injury-guaranteed bonuses.
Hall, a fifth-year veteran, will go through the waivers process, but if no team picks up his expensive contract, he'll become an unrestricted free agent. The Cowboys, Giants and Redskins have been mentioned as teams that had interest in trading for Hall in the offseason and they still might have a desire to acquire him.

The PFW spin
In a matter of less than seven months, Hall went being from the missing piece that would transform the Raiders’ secondary, making it the best in the league, to being unemployed. During his shortsighted offseason spending spree, Davis dealt second- and fifth-round draft picks to the Falcons in order to acquire Hall. He then doled out a $70 million contract to the two-time Pro Bowler.
On Wednesday, Davis indicted his own judgment and waived Hall in what appears to be the first move in a massive midseason rebuilding project, of which there is no precedent.
Hall never came close to reaching the standard that was set when he arrived. He and CB Nnamdi Asomugha were supposed to become the best corner tandem in the NFL. Asomugha lived up to his end of the deal as teams abandoned throwing to his side of the field. Hall, however, was burned over and over again. In eight games with Oakland, Hall gave up 40 receptions for 552 yards on 66 passes thrown toward him, according to STATS. No defender has allowed more yards this season.
The Raiders are only two games out of the lead in the AFC West, but this move is a signal that the franchise already is looking ahead to the offseason, which might be disheartening for interim head coach Tom Cable and his players. It’s also the smartest thing Davis has done in some time. Rather than dig in his heels and continue down a path that isn’t leading to success, he’s making necessary changes, however painful and embarrassing they might be.
Davis’ decision to cut ties with Hall makes Asomugha an even more valuable piece to the organization. The Raiders put the franchise tag on Asomugha last offseason and they were unable to put together an agreeable long-term deal. Davis once again will try to sign Asomugha in the coming months and after releasing Hall, there will be more cap space to help make that happen. Asomugha, however, is now in a much better bargaining position and it will take a blockbuster deal to keep him around.

Mully :cheers:​

Bro, the ESPN quote came from the fact that AD has spent 40+ years ignoring the media and it comes back on him 10X...everything on BSPN is negative...not that the last six years haven't been a complete clusterf*ck.

DHall was due $16M next year guaranteed against injury...Raiders gave him the option of renegotiating and he refused. They need that $16M desperately to keep Aso...he is their only "full-time" player to merit Pro Bowl consideration. (Lechler is also the World's best punter and the Polish Cannon is not too shabby...you know your team blows when you're talking up special teams.)

The Raiders run a zone blocking scheme and believe that you can "plug in" average FAs and make them good...thus the lack of high draft picks the last couple of years. Their tackles are horrendous...LT - Kwame Harris was a bust of a 1st rounder in SF (he was signed to a front loaded contract and will be gone...2nd RD pick in '07 Mario Henderson will get a shot.) RT - Cornell Green is a career backup. (Guards and Center have been OK.)

I see AD and The Raiders getting hammered left and right but it wasn't that long ago they were in the Super Bowl (only 8 teams: NE, Carolina, Philly, Pitt, Sea, Indy, Chi & NYG have been in a SB since the Raiders went...IMO, the "fans" calling them the NFL's worst franchise can STFU) and have a history of success rivaled only by a handful of NFL teams...that was all a result of having Al Davis as Owner...:shake:

Very Well said :shake:

Here's my question, Mully or Throw...

Would it cost the Raiders anything extra to release Hall at the end of the year?

Again, why not make him a nickel or dime or at least try to trade him to someone who plays Tampa 2?

Those 2 are moot if his attitude sucks, which I don't know...

Would it cost the Raiders anything extra to release Hall at the end of the year?

Again, why not make him a nickel or dime or at least try to trade him to someone who plays Tampa 2?

It could definately cost them games. But we'll never know now that he won't play. But you gotta think some of the Raider players are pissed that he was getting all this money and playing like shit. If anything, it could bring morale up a little.

Nobody likes the loud mouth trash talker if he can't back up his stuff. Some of his ATL teammates wanted to kill him last year for that shit he pulled with Steve Smith that cost them the game with bullshit unsportsmanlike penalties.

There were definitely some "issues" behind the scenes that we were not privy to. For example, last Friday he missed practice and the official excuse was "personal reasons"...MFer was beyond clueless playing Raiders D and looked to be a negative influence in the locker room on a very young team.
My hope is that Davis will start looking at the type of citizens he's signing not just 40 times or production...but I'd also hoped Gruden would be a Raider Lifer as HC...:seeya:
One thing to remember is that there are no more rabid NFL FAN(atic)s...than Raider Nation....:shake:

Coge, I meant money. WOuld it cost them anything money wise to keep him till the end of the season.

love this post.

Could not agree more.:smiley_abcs:

Back