WTF...Hunter's a Halo?

Yanks27Sox9

CTG Partner
Former Twins star Hunter agrees to 5-year contract with Angels

ESPN.com news services

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: November 22, 2007, 2:46 AM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Outfielder Torii Hunter and the Los Angeles Angels reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night on a five-year contract thought to be worth at least $80 million.
"They play the game the right way," Hunter said. "They play hard-nosed baseball."

5884.jpg
Hunter

The agreement is subject to a physical.
The 32-year-old becomes the much-needed hitter the Angels sought to protect Vladimir Guerrero in the batting order. Hunter hit .297 with 28 homers and 107 RBIs for the Minnesota Twins this year and is a seven-time Gold Glove winner.
He finished 15th in AL MVP balloting and was on the AL's All-Star team for the second time in his career.
"We are very excited to have Torii joining our organization," Angels general manager Tony Reagins said in a statement. "Not only is he an outstanding ballplayer but he's also an outstanding human being. He'll impact our ballclub and community in a very positive way."
According to the Los Angeles Times, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Texas Rangers, Chicago White Sox, Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Royals and Washington Nationals were among those interested in Hunter. The newspaper reports that Tony Reagins, the Angels' rookie general manager, called Hunter's agent Larry Reynolds on Tuesday and a deal for Hunter came together quickly.
"You're a little surprised, huh?" Reynolds told the newspaper Wednesday night. "It all happened within the last 24 hours."
Hunter will join a talented outfield that includes Gary Matthews Jr., Garret Anderson, Guerrero, Juan Rivera and Reggie Willits.
With Guerrero in right and Anderson in left, the move leaves no space in the starting outfield for Matthews Jr. The Angels said the center fielder, who signed a $50 million, five-year deal as a free agent last offseason, could see time at designated hitter and spell the corner outfielders.
Matthews was sent human growth hormone in 2004 from a pharmacy being investigated for illegal distribution of performance-enhancing drugs, The Times Union of Albany, N.Y., reported last winter. Matthews denied using HGH, which was not banned by baseball for players with major league contracts until 2005.
With Hunter gone, the low-budget Twins' attention turns to two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana. His contract expires after the 2008 season, and other teams think Minnesota will make him available if he doesn't agree to an extension.
Hunter said he also had negotiated seriously with the Rangers, but he thought they were a year or two from contending. The White Sox and Royals also were interested.
Staying with the Twins wasn't a real option.
"Sometimes it's time to move on," Hunter said. "Sometimes your welcome is gone."

According to the Times, the Angels were also in trade talks with the Florida Marlins for Miguel Cabrera, but it wasn't known Wednesday night whether the Angels would still pursue Cabrera.
Reagins has made a splash on the job even before the agreement with Hunter. On Monday, the Angels traded Orlando Cabrera to the White Sox for pitcher Jon Garland.
For his career, Hunter is a .271 hitter with 192 homers and 711 RBIs in 1,234 games.
Information from the Associated Press contributed to this report.

loaded up on SPs first...now they loaded up in the OF too, paricularly CF.

that's 2 now that don't make much sense...again, w/out other deals to follow. it's gotta be either Cabrera or Tejada...with a Halo SP, a Halo OF, plus youth involved.

T-Mike...
Indicted for what? Matthews never perjured himself in a court of law.

MCG...
As of thsi moment...Matthews in LF, Hunter in CF, and Vlad in RF...with Anderson and Rivera sharing the DH role...and Willits on the bench/in the minors...is my best guess.
Still...i think someone, or someone's get moved...cuz they still need a SS.

Xpression...
We shall see.

Fondy...
He's not ready, as a hitter. As a SS, yes...but he's no Tulo, as his few ABs this year showed. They know he still needs time...and they don't want to set him back (Mathis-style) by rushing things.

Satyr...
Definitely great for the Halos. Just a tremendous surprise signing, on top of the surprise trade.
In any case, this new GM will go to the winter meetings holding quite a few chips in his hand...looking to make a deal or two. And i'll bet they're able to deal w/out including the best of their youth, which they have an abundance of.

Halos this offseason have been the most intriguing team so far. Doen't all make sense yet...but i'm sure there's a methos to their madness.

My guess is that Tejada is the final piece of the puzzle, hopefully they'll be able to sign him in the upcoming days.

Miguel Cabrera is fine - the talent is surely there - but the fact that Tejada is a lifetime AL player (nice advantage considering he's going to face AL pitching most of the time) in addition to his veteran presence and his natural, SS position, the Angels may need more him then Cabrera now considering they let Orlando go to WS.

I can see my favorite team finally looking complete and ready to compete and win, especially since they signed Hunter, another great player with good personality. As for the pitching part - Colon is bye-bye but there's young Jon Garland so no worries there ;) I'm sure the team's chemistry won't suffer because of the ppl who're gone, actually I think it will be slightly improved with those 3 new additions.

i agree about tejada...partly cuz i keep hearing the dodgers are very close to reaching a deal w/ the fish for cabrera.

My guess is that Tejada is the final piece of the puzzle, hopefully they'll be able to sign him in the upcoming days.

Miguel Cabrera is fine - the talent is surely there - but the fact that Tejada is a lifetime AL player (nice advantage considering he's going to face AL pitching most of the time) in addition to his veteran presence and his natural, SS position, the Angels may need more him then Cabrera now considering they let Orlando go to WS.

I can see my favorite team finally looking complete and ready to compete and win, especially since they signed Hunter, another great player with good personality. As for the pitching part - Colon is bye-bye but there's young Jon Garland so no worries there ;) I'm sure the team's chemistry won't suffer because of the ppl who're gone, actually I think it will be slightly improved with those 3 new additions.

I can definitely see why you're excited, the Angels are stacked. If the Halos can find a way to get Tejada or Miguel Cabrera then they would be my preseason favorite to win it all.

Back