Worth a standalone thread -- RRR Discussion Thread.

I figured the total be 70s, that says a lot to me with it being 59.
I ALWAYS think this game will be low scoring and get tired of learning an expensive lesson

Both defenses are a ton better this year than they've remotely been the last decade, I thought it might be upper 40s. Seems high per usual.

I ALWAYS think this game will be low scoring and get tired of learning an expensive lesson

Both defenses are a ton better this year than they've remotely been the last decade, I thought it might be upper 40s. Seems high per usual.

That's interesting how we see it different.

Reactions: KJ
That's interesting how we see it different.
Doubt I do much with it outside of catching the dog if the number gets better but man every year I think it will be low scoring and it turns into a shoot out

I figured the total be 70s, that says a lot to me being 59.

Gotta respect what I think is a much improved Sooners d, horns d has obviously been fantastic. I can see where you coming from cause I def think both teams will be able to move the ball thru the air in particular but I also think we see a lot of offense between the 20s and some stalling out in scoring range, there be times the defenses get home and kill drives. Both these defenses have been fantastic getting off the field on 3rd downs, horns have the best red zone d in the country only allowing tds on half their opponents trips inside 20. Sooners were incredibly tough in the red zone against cincy.

What so tough for me in this game Is I feel like I’m still kinda speculating with Sooners. After the rough start the d looked great last week but isu offense ain’t exactly great. I thought they were fantastic vs cincy but how good are they? Im pretty confident that will be the only time all yea Satterfield group is held to 6! I doubt they get held under 20 by anyone else. I think the Sooners d is really good, I know they got the athletes and I believe in venables. Not saying they gonna shut horns down but I don’t expect them to be giving up north of 31.

I think Sooners van protect Gabriel for the most part but again I think they will move it between the 20s but then it get interesting. I def think we see yards but with how good both teams are getting off the field on 3rc down should be lot of fg attempts imo.

Texas is the more physical team on both lines, they manhandled a solid Bama squad on the road, at night...but Oklahoma is such a quick strike offense, you better not be sleeping at all. I think this is like Michigan/Ohio State..the team that runs the ball better usually wins.

Texas is the more physical team on both lines, they manhandled a solid Bama squad on the road, at night...but Oklahoma is such a quick strike offense, you better not be sleeping at all. I think this is like Michigan/Ohio State..the team that runs the ball better usually wins.

I don’t think Sooners are soft up front on either Los.

Gotta respect what I think is a much improved Sooners d, horns d has obviously been fantastic. I can see where you coming from cause I def think both teams will be able to move the ball thru the air in particular but I also think we see a lot of offense between the 20s and some stalling out in scoring range, there be times the defenses get home and kill drives. Both these defenses have been fantastic getting off the field on 3rd downs, horns have the best red zone d in the country only allowing tds on half their opponents trips inside 20. Sooners were incredibly tough in the red zone against cincy.

What so tough for me in this game Is I feel like I’m still kinda speculating with Sooners. After the rough start the d looked great last week but isu offense ain’t exactly great. I thought they were fantastic vs cincy but how good are they? Im pretty confident that will be the only time all yea Satterfield group is held to 6! I doubt they get held under 20 by anyone else. I think the Sooners d is really good, I know they got the athletes and I believe in venables. Not saying they gonna shut horns down but I don’t expect them to be giving up north of 31.

I think Sooners van protect Gabriel for the most part but again I think they will move it between the 20s but then it get interesting. I def think we see yards but with how good both teams are getting off the field on 3rc down should be lot of fg attempts imo.

That's kind of my point about being suprised it's 59...makes me think under.

I think Oklahoma is going to be one pissed off squad for sure. 49-0 last year. They were embarrassed.

I doubt we see that score again.

I think Oklahoma is going to be one pissed off squad for sure. 49-0 last year. They were embarrassed.

I doubt we see that score again.
I don't even remember that one with OU going through the transition, kinda forgot if they even made a bowl game last season

Winner of this one I think wins it all. The balance is too good on both sides of the ball.

I have no clue who I’d take if you made me pick at the moment. Lol. Sure wish we coulda seen Sooners against 1 team in the top 15-20

I thought the bearcats on the road was a solid test, but they just aren't very good this year.

I sure would like to see Udub somehow survive the pac-12, That offense is kinda giving me the burrow/lsu vibe!

I’ve felt like I have had a great feel for lot the big games this year but I have no strong opinion either way on this game. I think it starks year but I also been drinking the Venables kiol-aid on this sooner team.

Just as a college football fan, who has no allegiance to a school worth a shit, the RRR is my favorite game every year. Just seeing that stadium split down the middle with burnt orange on one side and crimson is pretty damn cool. Even better when both schools are really good.

I've been to 28 of the last 29. Wife's 40th was the hiccup, ugh. I won't miss the one on her 50th in case she's wondering. Just such an insanely great environment. The bowl sits right in the middle of the state fair - food, carnies, stupid rides and so much more. 92,000 in the stadium for the game, split right at the 50 yard line. Another 200,000 or so outside / at the Fair to be there. I say it every year but any CFB fan needs to make this a must-do at some point.

Good guys won 49-0 last year but "revenge" isn't that big a deal for this one. Both teams hate each other and there's a ton on the line so it's kind of hard to imagine either team having an intangible edge. Biggest thing as a Texas fan is the level of strength and depth on both lines now in place. That's been the single biggest thing Sarkisian has done. Obviously plenty of skill and athleticism as well. If Sanders can't go that will be big. Line seems about right and I won't be surprised if it goes either way. Ewers will get the benefit of playing in this game a year ago but I doubt it will take Gabriel long to acclimate. Good to see Venables righting the ship as it's always better when both teams are good going into this game.

Lots of great Sooner fans including on this site. I just want them to be disappointed about 2:30 this Saturday.

1696256403453.png

In this one, and many rivalry games - I play 1H/2H/live

Last year's SU (loser) starts strong, usually winning and covering 1H - the opposite happens 2H. LY a really bad OU couldn't come back 2H.

SO - this year I'll take OU 1H small at 3' or so - and probably the under too - then look to play Texas 2H, and maybe the over
>> checking to see if current trends support this of course - and they do

I've been to 28 of the last 29. Wife's 40th was the hiccup, ugh. I won't miss the one on her 50th in case she's wondering. Just such an insanely great environment. The bowl sits right in the middle of the state fair - food, carnies, stupid rides and so much more. 92,000 in the stadium for the game, split right at the 50 yard line. Another 200,000 or so outside / at the Fair to be there. I say it every year but any CFB fan needs to make this a must-do at some point.

Good guys won 49-0 last year but "revenge" isn't that big a deal for this one. Both teams hate each other and there's a ton on the line so it's kind of hard to imagine either team having an intangible edge. Biggest thing as a Texas fan is the level of strength and depth on both lines now in place. That's been the single biggest thing Sarkisian has done. Obviously plenty of skill and athleticism as well. If Sanders can't go that will be big. Line seems about right and I won't be surprised if it goes either way. Ewers will get the benefit of playing in this game a year ago but I doubt it will take Gabriel long to acclimate. Good to see Venables righting the ship as it's always better when both teams are good going into this game.

Lots of great Sooner fans including on this site. I just want them to be disappointed about 2:30 this Saturday.

View attachment 78073
Hey FC, nice call on the game this past Saturday as you were definitely on the right side and I have no issue giving credit where credit is due!

Both squads looking markedly better than LY.

Advantage Horns, no doubt, but I am Boomer Sooner till the end !!!

Sat 07 | Day​

72°
4% chance rain
N11 mph
Partly cloudy skies. High 72F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph.

Yeah, mid 50s early that morning.

Nothing worse than watching football in hot weather. Fall-like this weekend. Those of us in Texas aren't quite sure how to handle it after this beating of a summer.

I've been to a lot of these games, but none recently.

I recall very well my first year at OU when it seemed like there was some great event going on every day and night. When I'd say something to the any of the older guys about how good a time I was having they'd always say, "if you think this is a good time wait till Texas weekend." The whole campus talked about it all the time and when Friday before the game rolled around the campus was deserted. Everyone was already headed to Dallas

And it turned out to be just as good a time as they all told me it would be. It's still big, but the crowds are dispersed around the Dallas area now. In the old days the main street of Dallas was blocked off to traffic and the fan bases of both teams were all in one place. Just a solid mass of drunk college students taking up the street and sidewalk for blocks in both directions. For a small town guy it was an amazing scene

I'm on Texas this year. I don't see any area where OU has an advantage. The Texas running game is even better now than it was at the start of the season and while the stats of the two defenses look almost identical, Texas did it against a tougher schedule.

Last edited:
Just had a few beers my old pool shooting buddy, who's with a die-hard Sooner fan, and even he thinks the Horns are too strong this year.

Fwiw.

I have over analyzed this game as usual pretty much all week at the expense of work, family, and anything other than breathing. It’s the same every year regardless of the records of each team heading into the game. The stakes are always high due to the unique nature of the game but even higher this year given both teams are undefeated and Texas could move to #1 with a victory. Keep in mind this is a program that has been wandering the desert for more than a decade since the 2009 season. The fan base has PTSD from false promises and all around underperformance under Strong, Herman and even in Sark’s first two years. We have had this season circled for a while now as the year it could all finally come together - talent, depth and experience on the OL and DL is the nucleus of any elite CFB team. Texas has that and everyone saw it against Bama. Ewers with a year under his belt looks to be more comfortable in Sark’s system which is not easy to pick up.

Other than Ohio State, Texas has probably the deepest WR corps and we haven’t even seen Neyor (Wyo transfer, tore ACL last year) or much of freshman stud Johntay Cook yet. Sark has kept a tight rotation of Worthy, Whittington, and Mitchell along with Sanders at TE (he’s playing on Sat). Who do you double cover? If the Sooners want to bracket Worthy, Mitchell will have a big game and vice versa. Landing AD in the portal from the Dawgs has been massive. But the dude that makes things go is Sanders. Having an elite pass catching TE makes a defense cover every portion of the field.

The main weakness Texas can and should exploit is a weaker interior Sooner OL. And this is a fact Sooner fans are bemoaning on their own boards. Their tackles are very good. Gabriel’s numbers in between the hashes are ridiculous. They play up tempo and know where the ball is going. As long as he isn’t pressured, all goes well. I just don’t see OU being able to keep a clean pocket without a strong running game. You usually know who the OU RB is heading into the game and the fact you don’t says something. it’s been a tough slog getting the running game going this season against suspect competition. Cincy has a good DL. That’s about it.

All of the damage has been through the air and other than a few coverage busts and dead brained deep balls Texas has allowed in each game, they have clamped down on the run and pass pretty damn well, esp in the red zone.

But we also haven’t faced many good QBs. Milroe has huge upside but that was a lot to ask in such a hyped up game and his nerves showed. Texas got lucky last week when Daniels opted to sit out after a pre-game warm up. I was impressed with Wyoming’s QBs and their overall game plan and have been tailing them ever since. That’s an experienced, tough team of grown ass men. Both QBs could sling it on the boundary and play keep away. Texas finally pulled ahead in the 4th in what was otherwise a very close game and a post-Bama hangover was inevitable.

Then Texas absolutely destroyed Baylor in all phases of the game except special teams where we put three balls on the turf, recovering one. Those two turnovers set Baylor up for their only points of the game - two FGs. Baylor would have gladly tapped out at half time. Total asskicking and they deserved every second of it.

Texas piled up 300+ rushing and passing against Kansas in a game where nothing quite looked in sync until late then you check the box score and it looked like a bloodbath. Completely opposite of last year where the Horns started strong and faded late, losing a bunch of one score games; this season is the total opposite. In game adjustments have been better (especially defensive) and I never have worried about whether we were going to lose a game this year. Even on the road at Bama. And the reason is the OL and DL. By the 4th Q most opponents are just tired of dealing with these dudes. Ewers has taken care of the ball, done slightly better in deep shots (still not his strength) but he is making hay in the intermediate passing game with a lot of ridiculous timing routes on the boundary and up the middle (see Sanders’ one armed grab last week that went for 50).

The Horns have not faced an up tempo team that can play fast and spread the ball around. But this defense erases one sided teams. Texas will happily rush four and drop a bunch of dudes in coverage. Squat two safeties deep where Gabriel does his damage and as soon as things get off schedule for him his accuracy and conversions plummet. And if he can hit those passes and lead his team to victory then props to him - that’s a good QB.

There are always are surprises in this game, usually with special teams and whoever gets a big break there can turn that into confidence in other phases - Shipley’s kick return for TD in 2008 turned around a 14-3 deficit and Texas never looked back.

OU has owned this series of late in the Stoops and Riley years. Venables got pantsed last year and everyone knew it going in once Gabriel wasn’t playing. Sark called off the dogs but that game easily could have hit the 60’s. Franklin would have faked a knee and scored another TD…

OU has improved immensely in all phases. But they haven’t faced a real defense yet and I just don’t think Gabriel will find easy passing lanes where he likes to throw the ball. And they don’t have a running game to fall back on.

I’m on Texas -6 and feel pretty good about any number up to 9. The line movement down to 5 has me nervous but not as much as the kids in that tunnel, which always smells like vomit from the freshmen who make that run for the first time.

This is one of the greatest games in college football and nobody has a clue what will happen. Texas has played better competition and has more ways to hurt OU than the Sooners can hurt Texas.

That is way too many words than I intended on typing. If you’ve made it this far, buckle up and enjoy! Nothing would surprise me.

But I think I think I have an idea on how this should play out…

Last edited:
One important note I left out. Venables turned over 40% of his roster through the portal. And still failed to address some known deficiencies in the trenches. So half this team wasn’t even there for last year’s beatdown. Factor that in when you hear the “revenge” mantra. Texas hasn’t won back to back OU games since Colt did in 08/09. But they have won the last four games where they were favored.

I have over analyzed this game as usual pretty much all week at the expense of work, family, and anything other than breathing. It’s the same every year regardless of the records of each team heading into the game. The stakes are always high due to the unique nature of the game but even higher this year given both teams are undefeated and Texas could move to #1 with a victory. Keep in mind this is a program that has been wandering the desert for more than a decade since the 2009 season. The fan base has PTSD from false promises and all around underperformance under Strong, Herman and even in Sark’s first two years. We have had this season circled for a while now as the year it could all finally come together - talent, depth and experience on the OL and DL is the nucleus of any elite CFB team. Texas has that and everyone saw it against Bama. Ewers with a year under his belt looks to be more comfortable in Sark’s system which is not easy to pick up.

Other than Ohio State, Texas has probably the deepest WR corps and we haven’t even seen Neyor (Wyo transfer, tore ACL last year) or much of freshman stud Johntay Cook yet. Sark has kept a tight rotation of Worthy, Whittington, and Mitchell along with Sanders at TE (he’s playing on Sat). Who do you double cover? If the Sooners want to bracket Worthy, Mitchell will have a big game and vice versa. Landing AD in the portal from the Dawgs has been massive. But the dude that makes things go is Sanders. Having an elite pass catching TE makes a defense cover every portion of the field.

The main weakness Texas can and should exploit is a weaker interior Sooner OL. And this is a fact Sooner fans are bemoaning on their own boards. Their tackles are very good. Gabriel’s numbers in between the hashes are ridiculous. They play up tempo and know where the ball is going. As long as he isn’t pressured, all goes well. I just don’t see OU being able to keep a clean pocket without a strong running game. You usually know who the OU RB is heading into the game and the fact you don’t says something. it’s been a tough slog getting the running game going this season against suspect competition. Cincy has a good DL. That’s about it.

All of the damage has been through the air and other than a few coverage busts and dead brained deep balls Texas has allowed in each game, they have clamped down on the run and pass pretty damn well, esp in the red zone.

But we also haven’t faced many good QBs. Milroe has huge upside but that was a lot to ask in such a hyped up game and his nerves showed. Texas got lucky last week when Daniels opted to sit out after a pre-game warm up. I was impressed with Wyoming’s QBs and their overall game plan and have been tailing them ever since. That’s an experienced, tough team of grown ass men. Both QBs could sling it on the boundary and play keep away. Texas finally pulled ahead in the 4th in what was otherwise a very close game and a post-Bama hangover was inevitable.

Then Texas absolutely destroyed Baylor in all phases of the game except special teams where we put three balls on the turf, recovering one. Those two turnovers set Baylor up for their only points of the game - two FGs. Baylor would have gladly tapped out at half time. Total asskicking and they deserved every second of it.

Texas piled up 300+ rushing and passing against Kansas in a game where nothing quite looked in sync until late then you check the box score and it looked like a bloodbath. Completely opposite of last year where the Horns started strong and faded late, losing a bunch of one score games; this season is the total opposite. In game adjustments have been better (especially defensive) and I never have worried about whether we were going to lose a game this year. Even on the road at Bama. And the reason is the OL and DL. By the 4th Q most opponents are just tired of dealing with these dudes. Ewers has taken care of the ball, done slightly better in deep shots (still not his strength) but he is making hay in the intermediate passing game with a lot of ridiculous timing routes on the boundary and up the middle (see Sanders’ one armed grab last week that went for 50).

The Horns have not faced an up tempo team that can play fast and spread the ball around. But this defense erases one sided teams. Texas will happily rush four and drop a bunch of dudes in coverage. Squat two safeties deep where Gabriel does his damage and as soon as things get off schedule for him his accuracy and conversions plummet. And if he can hit those passes and lead his team to victory then props to him - that’s a good QB.

There are always are surprises in this game, usually with special teams and whoever gets a big break there can turn that into confidence in other phases - Shipley’s kick return for TD in 2008 turned around a 14-3 deficit and Texas never looked back.

OU has owned this series of late in the Stoops and Riley years. Venables got pantsed last year and everyone knew it going in once Gabriel wasn’t playing. Sark called off the dogs but that game easily could have hit the 60’s. Franklin would have faked a knee and scored another TD…

OU has improved immensely in all phases. But they haven’t faced a real defense yet and I just don’t think Gabriel will find easy passing lanes where he likes to throw the ball. And they don’t have a running game to fall back on.

I’m on Texas -6 and feel pretty good about any number up to 9. The line movement down to 5 has me nervous but not as much as the kids in that tunnel, which always smells like vomit from the freshmen who make that run for the first time.

This is one of the greatest games in college football and nobody has a clue what will happen. Texas has played better competition and has more ways to hurt OU than the Sooners can hurt Texas.

That is way too many words than I intended on typing. If you’ve made it this far, buckle up and enjoy! Nothing would surprise me.

But I think I think I have an idea on how this should play out…
Awesome stuff Vash!

Thanks for the notes.

One important note I left out. Venables turned over 40% of his roster through the portal. And still failed to address some known deficiencies in the trenches. So half this team wasn’t even there for last year’s beatdown. Factor that in when you hear the “revenge” mantra. Texas hasn’t won back to back OU games since Colt did in 08/09. But they have won the last four games where they were favored.
Daily Wager said today that Oklahoma is 7-3 SU the last 10 while Texas is 7-3 ATS.

This is the one concerning factor for me. Otherwise, I am confident in a Texas victory. This weakness could keep the game within the 6 points. 2 for 6 at 40+

Back