Worst Foul Call in NBA history?

The foul on Paul George shooting a three a couple weeks back against the kings was worse and it lost me a bet..

To me it looks like he tried getting the foul call by kicking his legs out. The call is not that bad. Refs are taught what to look for. They see it. They call it. They move on. Basketball is not an easy sport to officiate. Put yourself in their shoes

As the announcer said in the clip, they NEVER kick both legs out to get a foul call, or they end up on their back or head as he did there. Baiting a call is always done by kicking out one leg.

The Reggie Miller comparisons are so far off. Please find one clip of Reggie Miller kicking out BOTH legs to "get a call." Like kj said earlier, try taking a shot yourself and kicking out both of your legs...and see what happens. The fact that anyone, with a straight face, can somehow defend this call is hilarious.

Whether or not running down the court is "showing up" the ref....if the refs don't want to be showed up, stop making ridiculous foul calls. There should be discipline for refs that make calls like this, or the one with Lebron from the other thread, or the Paul George one from the other night. Why are they not held accountable for not doing their jobs correctly? Suspend them for a few games and see how many shitty calls they keep making.

If I was a ref, I'd rather the player do what Lowry did and run down the court instead of get in my face and cry and argue about a bad call.

Whether or not running down the court is "showing up" the ref....if the refs don't want to be showed up, stop making ridiculous foul calls. There should be discipline for refs that make calls like this, or the one with Lebron from the other thread, or the Paul George one from the other night. Why are they not held accountable for not doing their jobs correctly? Suspend them for a few games and see how many shitty calls they keep making.

Referees are not perfect. The leagues have become more transparent in the past few years by actually coming forward and saying that the referees made a mistake... what else do you want them to do, start making tallies of their mistakes and give them fines/suspensions? They are not perfect in any sport. I don't get why everyone thinks it so easy to do what refs do. I just hate how people think NBA refs are fixing games because a bad call is made. Its quite comical. At least there is somewhat of a consistency in pro sports.

I just understand that they are part of the game and it's so unfair the amount of ridicule they go through. Comes with the profession

I am not defending one way or another if what Lowry did was "bad". But it's a rule if you turn your back on a ref and run it will always be called a T.

It's just always a technical. In the eyes of the ref it's obviously then worse than a small and heated exchange.

nba is actually trying to speak logically on this subject and some of you are really head scratchers. Man, I know it was a controversial call...

But #1 - it is a foul by the rules today. Any attempt to draw contact that is not part of a normal shooting motion should be an offensive foul.

#2 - running away in the opposite direction from a ref is a T. Always has been, always will.

Argue the other stuff, like if you think he really stuck his leg out, but that's the rule.

Referees are not perfect. The leagues have become more transparent in the past few years by actually coming forward and saying that the referees made a mistake... what else do you want them to do, start making tallies of their mistakes and give them fines/suspensions? They are not perfect in any sport. I don't get why everyone thinks it so easy to do what refs do. I just hate how people think NBA refs are fixing games because a bad call is made. Its quite comical. At least there is somewhat of a consistency in pro sports.

Yes, that's exactly what I want them to do. Do you know many jobs where you aren't judged on your performance? How about the fact they are completely shielded from criticism? The players/coaches can't even say one negative thing (even if they are 100% correct) or they get fined, yet the refs can continually do a horrible job and have no negative consequences.

No one said it was easy, but this is their job and they should be great at it. The problem I think a lot of people have is the opposite of what you said...there is NO consistency. If it was consistent, the players would know how a game is going to be called each and every night, and probably wouldn't bitch so much. That's not what happens though...how many times do we hear "they're letting them play tonight" or "they're really calling this one tight?" Those phrases wouldn't exist if there was consistency.

I am not defending one way or another if what Lowry did was "bad". But it's a rule if you turn your back on a ref and run it will always be called a T.

It's just always a technical. In the eyes of the ref it's obviously then worse than a small and heated exchange.

nba is actually trying to speak logically on this subject and some of you are really head scratchers. Man, I know it was a controversial call...

But #1 - it is a foul by the rules today. Any attempt to draw contact that is not part of a normal shooting motion should be an offensive foul.

#2 - running away in the opposite direction from a ref is a T. Always has been, always will.

Argue the other stuff, like if you think he really stuck his leg out, but that's the rule.

Sure, it's the rule....but it's NOT what happened last night with Lowry. That's what we're arguing, everyone knows what the rule is. Again, show me another example of anyone who ever threw both legs at someone to try and get that call. I'm pretty confident saying that it hasn't happened because it makes no sense to throw both legs at someone as kj and others have pointed out.

I don't think I've ever seen a player walk or run away from a ref and think "that guy should have gotten t'ed up."

And Lowry "turned his back" on the ref? Lol.

I don't think I've ever seen a player walk or run away from a ref and think "that guy should have gotten t'ed up."

And Lowry "turned his back" on the ref? Lol.

Well unfortunately it doesn't really matter what fans think. Not only are the refs just enforcing what they are told, it's done to protect everyone on the court from the situation getting out of hand. Not to mention that it also slows the game down, however minuscule it might be. If the defender doesn't hit lowrys leg it is not going to be called a foul. But since there was contact, I think the ref was forced to make a call and his view was that he kicked his leg out to try to get the foul call. It's not the worst call ever.

It's not the worst call ever.

I agree with you here. That's what makes the situation even worse though...the fact that the call on Lowry, which was just awful, probably isn't even close to the worst call this year (probably not even in the last 2 weeks), let alone ever.

Well unfortunately it doesn't really matter what fans think. Not only are the refs just enforcing what they are told, it's done to protect everyone on the court from the situation getting out of hand. Not to mention that it also slows the game down, however minuscule it might be. If the defender doesn't hit lowrys leg it is not going to be called a foul. But since there was contact, I think the ref was forced to make a call and his view was that he kicked his leg out to try to get the foul call. It's not the worst call ever.

In Lowry's case, he actually didn't slow the game down...he sprinted off the court, which took much less time than if he stood and argued the call. I'm just being facetious and I agree that's why the rule is in place, but last night probably wasn't a good example of it.

I agree with you here. That's what makes the situation even worse though...the fact that the call on Lowry, which was just awful, probably isn't even close to the worst call this year (probably not even in the last 2 weeks), let alone ever.

Youre being ridiculous. I'm done.

Who doesn't know this? And how does it pertain to this call in which nothing of the sort happened?

I was agreeing with his statement. I wasn't saying this is what happened. Him turning the shot into almost a long-ass fadeaway caused this situation. Would I call it? No, but this is no where near a disgraceful call.

You guys realize how hard of a shot that is to make? Props to Lowry....A set shot NBA three is a tough shot, he stroked a DEEP three as he faded away...

No need to blow the whistle unless its a foul on Sacramento as he makes contact with Lowry after he released the ball.

No matter what, that is one heck of a shot....hurts to see the ref take that away from him.

Youre being ridiculous. I'm done.

I was agreeing with you. There have been at least 2 other calls in the past few weeks worse than the Lowry one. The phantom call that Lebron got called with his horrible acting, and the one on George.

Back