World Cup Quarter-Finals Discussion

the way i bet sports is with the theory that it's difficult to win a game and even more difficult to cover a spread. I picked Brazil to win in my brackets and every game I've been nervous they were going to lose and this one is no different. I was against COL when they played the Greeks and Uruguay, which clearly didn't do well for me, but I haven't seen anything from Brazil that makes me think they can win this tournament so asking them to take it in regulation is asking too much. I thought COL had a very easy draw and that made them look better than they are, which may be true, but I love the firepower getting 1/2 and think if they score I win this one. Need a big game from Yepes in the back, but Neymar being banged up can do nothing but help me as the rest of the squad is average relying on him to do all the heavy lifting. Can't see Hulk playing like he did vs Chile, though that was a great effort

and gorg i disagree with you on pretty much everything so one of us will have a nice two days :shake:

:empty:

You fuckers are doing a really good job talking me off Columbia.

I want to be mad at you, but your points are well-reasoned and well-thought out. It kind of pisses me off.

=)

I got my hopes up high with France here!
smile4.png

I thought BEL would fuck the US like a $5 hooker but they somehow allowed our boys to take them to extra time. I was highly unimpressed with BEL.

I couldn't disagree with you more here.

The only thing I can give you is that Belgium gave up too many offensive chances to the US. I will grant you that. However, in context it was understandable because Belgium realistically should have scored 4+ times in that game. They should have fucking scored :40 seconds into the match. They then went onto control play for the vast majority of the contest. So while they gave up some chances, you're going to be fine to do it if you're getting three chances to every one you give up.

Now, where I worry about Belgium is that they're going to get less than half the chances against Argy than they did against the US. So they have to tighten up and give up far fewer chances to Argy than they did to the US or they will, undoubtably, get piss-pounded.

But here's why I have to roll with them, Argentina has done nothing to impress me all tourney long and, trust me, I've put my money up because I keep waiting for them to do so. At a certain point, though, Messi is simply not going to be able to save this team's bacon. Someone is going to score on them and I think Belgium has the quality to do it.

I think you're looking at 1-0 or 1-1 in regulation time in this game. And I would not be surprised, at all, if that 1-0 score has Belgium winning in regulation.

You fuckers are doing a really good job talking me off Columbia.

I want to be mad at you, but your points are well-reasoned and well-thought out. It kind of pisses me off.

=)

they can sour your opinion on COL as much as they want, and I do already have a play, but I haven't seen anything in the starting eleven that makes me remotely think I made a bad bet getting a half at plus-money

Oh, I have my bet in as well, they just make good points.

That said, the way the line sets up I'm not sure how you lay the number. Taking Brazil to advance, I get (the price notwithstanding). That makes total sense. But the line value, to me, is all in favor of Columbia.

That, plus the fact that Columbia have (to me) been impressive in every match they've played whereas Brazil has not, made it an easy call.

But these smart fuckers definitely make good points. Curse their smartness, curse it all to hades.

=)

they can sour your opinion on COL as much as they want, and I do already have a play, but I haven't seen anything in the starting eleven that makes me remotely think I made a bad bet getting a half at plus-money

name me a Colombian player other than James who would be considered for Selecao starting XI let alone be on the squad?

name me a Colombian player other than James who would be considered for Selecao starting XI let alone be on the squad?

If individual talent were all that mattered, Portugal & Spain would be laying a goal each in this round.

Yepes is not as good as people think he is, Aguilar will have a far more important role in the middle.
If Colombia win it will be an ugly victory because quite simply they have no creative flare outside of James

If individual talent were all that mattered, Portugal & Spain would be laying a goal each in this round.

He suggested no one on the Selecao starting XI that would pose a threat to Colombia, so I countered.
Also both Portugal and Spain played against teams that posed matchup problems.
I think what some of you are missing the point is h2h matchup. I'm saying at this current time based on how these two teams match up, Brasil has a huge advantage.
I mean isn't that what most games are about how teams match up against one another not just on their past results?

Here's a better question, does Columbia have the speed or system to counter the speed of someone like Naymar?

I'm saying at this current time based on how these two teams match up, Brasil has a huge advantage.

Right, and I disagree.

Despite the fact that you and BC make a lot of really solid points in favor of Brazil, I would argue that the team playing better football right now is obviously Columbia. So you can say, strategy this and talent that, but what's going on, right now, on the pitch? Columbia is playing better. And while there are really good reasons—including the specific positional h2h matchups, venue, history, etc.—to bet Brazil, if you are going to be them you're still betting on the team that, coming into this game, isn't playing as well as the team they're facing.

That doesn't mean things won't change. That doesn't mean, as BC said so well, that the weight of the moment won't crush this young Columbian side. All of that could happen, but the games aren't played on paper, they're played on the pitch. And right now I find it really hard to argue which of these teams is playing better as a team.

Here's a better question, does Columbia have the speed or system to counter the speed of someone like Naymar?

No.
it's not just Neymar they have to worry about speed, there is Alves, Marcelo, Oscar and Willian. I will say that Yepes and Zapata will make Hulk's life a living nightmare but Hulk plays extremely physical. Hulk's presence will open opportunities up for the likes of Neymar and Oscar.
The one downfall that I think Brasil has is that nut job David Luiz thinks he's some attacking midfielder. Dude is a psycho when it comes to attacks and that could pose a serious issue.
Outside of James, Colombia's attacking options are limited he is an absolute gem of a player no doubt but he is not a Messi level just yet.
Don't be surprised if Brasil rotate a lot of players to just kick/trip him, most South American teams both club and international level like to do this when the opposition have a star player.

So the question I've been trying ask Colombian backers is, who will step up if James does have an off night? Cuadrado, Armero? Cuadrado?

For me Colombia's potential man of the match other than James will have to be Aguilar or Cuadrado. That middle of the park is going to be extremely crucial, win there and you win most games but right now James is keeping the Colombians in the game.

I'm saying at this current time based on how these two teams match up, Brasil has a huge advantage.

Right, and I disagree.

Despite the fact that you and BC make a lot of really solid points in favor of Brazil, I would argue that the team playing better football right now is obviously Columbia. So you can say, strategy this and talent that, but what's going on, right now, on the pitch? Columbia is playing better. And while there are really good reasons—including the specific positional h2h matchups, venue, history, etc.—to bet Brazil, if you are going to be them you're still betting on the team that, coming into this game, isn't playing as well as the team they're facing.

That doesn't mean things won't change. That doesn't mean, as BC said so well, that the weight of the moment won't crush this young Columbian side. All of that could happen, but the games aren't played on paper, they're played on the pitch. And right now I find it really hard to argue which of these teams is playing better as a team.

No argument there JP, these guys are playing like CP after Tony Pulis took over, they are definitely coming in with the better form and anyone who doesn't see that shouldn't be commenting.
What I'm proposing though is just the matchup right now against Brasil doesn't really favor them so this is where they could get their train derailed.
There's so many arguments right now about how each team has played against their previous opposition, lets throw that out of the picture and observe how these two play against one another with the players on the field.
So far many are just assuming Brasil sucks because they didn't demolish Mexico or Chile...I mean they did score 8 goals so far so the "offence is shit" is a pretty unfair statement. Perhaps for the calibre that Brasil have yes we are disappointed and expect more but heck they are creating opportunities and most importantly moving on.

Is ET a possibility? Absolutely considering how things are panning out now so why not play +0.5 Colombia? Well I'm not interested in the price, you'd have to give me Colombia +1 or +0.5 @ 2.30 or more but that won't happen.
We can all say how one team is just struggling and scraping through and the other on a roll, but haven't we seen this situation before where all of a sudden the roles reverse. Oh and mind you it wasn't too long ago when Colombia lost to Venezula! Pekerman doing too much tweaking around, will he make the same mistake? He better not or else he'll go from hero to bastard child of Colombia.

Kinda feel the value has passed betting against Brazil. In the chile game we were getting +1 at a reasonable price.

Not sure how many followed confed cup last year, but people were saying similar thing about Brazil being unimpressive. They made it to the final and crushed Spain . Could the Chile game have been a wake up call? Maybe, but when the team is on not sure there is anyone I. The world who can stop them

Personally for me just don't think there is enough value price wise on Columbia right now. Value has shifted somewhat to Brazil for me.

curious why there's more negative talk about how bad Brasil has played but Argies are even worse! It's practically Messi vs opposition.

Hulk plays extremely physical

Can we all admit that this sentence was 'exactly' what his parents imagined when they named him in the hospital?

curious why there's more negative talk about how bad Brasil has played but Argies are even worse! It's practically Messi vs opposition.

My only guess is that it's because the Brazil game is sooner than the Argy game. I've been really hard on Argy and will be some more because unlike Brazil, who I expected to impress, I 'wanted' Argy to impress. I thought this WC set up great for them. Could you imagine making a run at a WC on Brazilian soil if you're Argy? It might actually be better than doing it in your own country.

Meanwhile, you're exactly right, it's absolutely been Messi against the rest of the world and I don't know if that's what people expected when they looked at Argentina for this WC, but the rest of this team has underperformed to a remarkable extent.

Goddammit Joe, I was going to let nEymar (not nAymar) go, but you keep referring to the Ivy League school and not the country. Are you really that trained to keep putting a "U" where there should be an "O" (colOmbia, not colUmbia).

I have to re-read your shit 2-3 times because I get pissed off the first time you misspell the name of the gotdamn country you want to bet in the next round.

My only guess is that it's because the Brazil game is sooner than the Argy game. I've been really hard on Argy and will be some more because unlike Brazil, who I expected to impress, I 'wanted' Argy to impress. I thought this WC set up great for them. Could you imagine making a run at a WC on Brazilian soil if you're Argy? It might actually be better than doing it in your own country.

Meanwhile, you're exactly right, it's absolutely been Messi against the rest of the world and I don't know if that's what people expected when they looked at Argentina for this WC, but the rest of this team has underperformed to a remarkable extent.

This might be very very motivating for Messi. To lift the cup at your most hated rivals soil.

Goddammit Joe, I was going to let nEymar (not nAymar) go, but you keep referring to the Ivy League school and not the country. Are you really that trained to keep putting a "U" where there should be an "O" (colOmbia, not colUmbia).

I have to re-read your shit 2-3 times because I get pissed off the first time you misspell the name of the gotdamn country you want to bet in the next round.

I think he's better off typing Col*mbia

Fortaleza is a pretty hot place, very close to the equatorial line.
suppose to rain quite a bit this evening but clear tomorrow so might be a bit humid.

Hahahahaha. #FairCriticism

Normally spell check would say something, but in this case ...

For the record, I did laugh out loud.

Also, I can't let this go: these guys are playing like CP after Tony Pulis took over

All Palace references are accepted & welcome in this thread.

For example, "Holy shit, have you seen Neymar? That guy looks like Zaha against Brighton out there."

=)

i think brazil know how lucky they are. they now have plenty of time to refocus and chile was a very dangerous team all tourny (ask spain). we all saw uruguay twice with and twice without suarez and it was absolutely jeckle-hyde stuff. colombia's group was garbage and brazil have faced one of the 2 best goalies (ochoa not howard) in the tourney, croatia who imo would have qualified in a lot of brackets, and of course chile, who only scored on a gift (...and i know hulk played a great game, but the refs were against him, he made the mistake that led to the chile goal, he didn't score all game) enough said.

if colombia had a healthy falcao i would be all over them--him playing with jimmy rod and quadrado would and will be dynamite--this is the future. i really downgrade teams who don't have an elite striker at this stage and jackson martinez has looked horrible outside of the last 20min vs. japan in the last game of group stage when japan knew it was going out without an avalanche of goals. plus their back line haven't seen an attack like brazil's all tourney.

same goes for argentina, i am sorry, but this team has done offensively ONLY what messi has done for them. messi has played too many minutes this tourney and pulled them out of the fire late vs iran and in a.e.t. vs switzerland. higuain has been awful and lavezzi hasn't impressed either. maybe they wake up and messi is awesome. but to win these last 3 games you are gonna have to get through some elite back fours--vincent company is as pimp as messi--dude was 50-50 with an injury, played 120 minutes vs. the u.s. and was really the guy who came closest to beating howard in the 1st 90 minutes. the dutch have a great back 5...germany i agree with most would benefit moving lamb to fullback instead of starting 4 cb's--especially when one is named howedes with an umlat in there somewhere.

also with france-germany--i think i like the french forwards over the germans on a pure talent and goal scoring level. benzama could have like 3 more goal (own goal off the keeper in game 1-which i call bullshit to soccer in general for, how can be an own goal just for hitting the keeper while he is trying to make a save-anyone see s.korea's goal vs russia, how was that NOT an owngoal on the keeper and benzama's goal to open the 2nd half vs. hondoras??). then benzame scores 1 second after the whistle blows vs the swiss with a wicked shot and he got stoned by the keeper with a p.k. in that game.

ozil looks like a shell of himself, but we will prolly c more of schuerrle next match. mueller is always potentially deadly, but keidera doesnt look comfortable on the attack (inj?) and i am not too worried about podolski fit or not. i would agree france has the value, but i just don't trust their keeper as much, like the dutchy's he's played well, but looked very awkward at times and is young. speaking of facing shots--has neuer even registered a save this w.c? just kidding, but he surely didn't do much the 1st 90 vs algeria beaten late and beatable later in a.e.t. vs algeria.

wow-if mueller deteriorates to the point where kramer was when they played algeria (meaning if he has the same bug) the germans will be in trouble. and if 7 guys *they only named those 2 and hummels have the same bug, chances are more will get it. that's enough info to get me to pull the trigger on france pk with the plus monney

Stat posts will flow today. First up, historical stats for Brazil in playoff matches.

Please note that I do not consider the final as a "knockout" match. Obviously there's no more tomorrows for the teams playing in a final, where L16/QF/SF matches involve teams knowing they're playing to extend their tournament for at least one more tomorrow, therefore they're of a different nature to the final. The difference may be expressed in the following way -

Brazil totals 14 scoreless halves in their WC playoff history prior to 2014

3 in 6 Finals (12 total halves: 33.3% rate)
11 in 28 L16/QF/SF matches (56 total halves: 19.6% rate)

That's not an inconsiderable difference, but understandable given the greater rate of goal scoring futility applies to the one fixture that has no tomorrows potentially following it (while there's no tomorrows tied to the 3rd/4th playoff, that's a fixture that simply has no weight to it compared to any other kind of playoff match, hence the stats generated from it I'm not inclined to apply to anything other than itself).

------

Historical stats from Brazil's 1930-2010 WC knockout matches

(1) Brazil has never been held to 0-1 goals in both L16 & QF matches played -
1938: 4 & 1 - 5
1986: 4 & 1 - 5
1994: 1 & 3 - 4
1998: 4 & 3 - 7
2002: 2 & 2 - 4
2006: 3 & 0 - 3
2010: 3 & 1 - 4

Average overall: 4.57 goals for the combined fixtures
Modern era avg: 4.50 goals for the combined fixtures

(2) Prior to 2014, Brazil had only ever played out 1 scoreless 2nd half (1986) -

Knockout match 2nd half goal totals
0: 1 ....... 3.57%
1: 11 ... 39.29%
2: 8 ..... 28.57%
3: 5 ..... 17.86%
4: 2 ....... 7.14%
5: 1 ....... 3.57%

85.72% of the time Brazil has combined with its opponent to deliver a 1-3 goal 2nd half in L16/QF/SF matches. Need it be said, Brazil has never delivered consecutive scoreless 2nd halves in matches of this nature.

(3) Brazil's knockout match results in WC played in Central or South America -
1962: 3-1 QF & 4-2 SF
1970: 4-2 QF & 3-1 SF
1986: 4-0 L16 & 1-1 QF
(bolded: played a South American opponent)

Overall average..: 3.17 gpg for & 1.17 gpg against - 5 Overs & 1 Under
Avg. vs. SA sides: 3.67 gpg for & 1.67 gpg against - 3 Overs

Need it be said, Chile was the first SA team to restrict Brazil to 2 goals or less at such a WC venue, and only the 2nd team to do so overall (that 1986 1-1 result also happens to involve Brazil's only other instance of a scoreless 2nd half. They lost on penalties against France that day, unlike vs. Chile).

(4) Some other stats -

- Brazil has only once ever played in consecutive knockout matches that ended in draws: in 1938 they played out a L16 4-4 regulation result with Poland (won 6-5 after extras), then played out a QF 1-1 regulation result with Czechoslovakia (scoreless after extras, led to a replay fixture given no penalty shootouts back then, which they won 2-1). Historical realities don't point with any strength to a regulation draw with Colombia, given their managing such with Chile.

- 35.7% of Brazil's 1st halves in knockout matches have remained scoreless. Historically they've been far far more likely to deliver a scoreless 1st, as opposed to 2nd, half.

- In 12 QF matches, Brazil has only ever held 1 opponent scoreless. However, in the modern era format (1986 onwards) they average 1 clean sheet win per 2.43 knockout matches played. The 1998 WC is the only modern era WC which saw them play at least 2 knockout matches and not manage at least 1 clean sheet win.

- Of the 7 teams to beat Brazil in a WC knockout match, only one has been a non-European side (Argentina in 1990: one of the most remarkable matches I've watched live. Brazil literally had all the ball and attacked almost the whole game. Argentina had 1 decent breakaway chance late - in the 80th min - and Caniggia scored off a great Maradona run for a 1-0 final).

[video=youtube;3X3p0_R0Y5E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X3p0_R0Y5E[/video]

Last edited:
QF Venues

FRA/GER - Rio de Janeiro: 8 goals (4 in 2nd h) @1.60 gpg / 2 fav wins, 1 draw

BRA/COL - Fortaleza: 14 goals (12 in 2nd h) @2.80 gpg / 0 fav wins, 3 draws

ARG/BEL - Brasilia: 16 goals (11 in 2nd h) @3.20 gpg / 5 fav wins, 0 draws

HOL/CR - Salvador: 21 goals (12 in 2nd h) @4.20 gpg / 3 fav wins, 1 draw

(1) In 5 matches, Fortaleza has yet to see a Fav win in regulation, and Braslia has yet to see a Fav do anything other than win in regulation.

(2) Every one of these venues featured in the L16 round, but only 1 of them hosted a game with fewer than 2 regulation goals scored (Salvador, BEL vs. USA).

Last edited:
good stuff b.c.--especially the video, maradonna literally sliced through the entire defense, with the last 4 all converging on him leaving caniggia 1v.1 against the goalie.

love those that's on brazil and it got me thinking, brazil really did score in the 2nd half but it was disallowed by a hulk handball--they one and it was a forgotten play, if they would have lost it would have been under the microscope, prolly a shoulder yes, but i don't think many refs besides the british royded-out mr. clean has the balls to call.

technically then, following your logic, the semi-finals are not really a "knock-out" game either, as both loosers play the 3rd place game. i don't even believe that last sentence, except for maybe a nation who never made it to that level before (south korea when they co-hosted, ticos and narcos this year may apply if they win this round).

happy birthday america, God bless football.

good stuff b.c.--especially the video, maradonna literally sliced through the entire defense, with the last 4 all converging on him leaving caniggia 1v.1 against the goalie.

I was 19 when I watched that WC, only the 3rd one I'd followed. First was was aged 11 (1982), following the NZ team who qualified that year for the first time. They had Brazil in their group, and so when NZ was eliminated Brazil was the team I chose to root for, being oblivious to their history at that age (wouldn't have known Pele from a bar of soap if you asked me who he was). What a fantastic game their 2-3 loss to Italy was, for a place in the semis. Still the best WC game I've ever seen...

[video=youtube;7xZyV7IAm9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xZyV7IAm9s[/video]

Followed them in the '86 WC (still remember the 2 penalties that decided the game: France g.keeper saved one in regulation w/the score 1-1 at the time, and in the shootout a French player's shot hit the post, bounced back into play to hit the Brazilian g.keeper's back, and then rebounded in for a goal. Couldn't believe it). So coming to the 1990 WC (& by then knowing more about their history), I was rooting for them to finally win on "my watch". That game against the Argies was so frustrating, Brazil hit the post numerous times while Argentina did nothing on attack that I have any memory of at all, except that one break late. Just sat stunned. Brazil's earliest exit in a modern era WC coincides with that Cup being the worst there's been, certainly that I've watched (I'm not alone in holding that opinion). Wasn't just that the goals/game avg. was so low, the dirty play contributed to all the diving & red cards, ugly memories. Completely fitting that Brazilian flair didn't go deep that year, it just didn't belong alongside that tenor of football. Enjoyed their efforts in '94 (boring as the final was), but went off them after that so I wasn't bothered to see France win in '98 - always good to have new names on the trophy, as long as they play the right way.

I looked into the historical numbers for a context the the overwhelming number of scoreless 1st halves (6) in the L16 round (the 2nd halves weren't short of scoring futility either, w/a total of 4). Here's what I found...

------

In the L16 round just gone...

(1) There were 3 scoreless regulation time draws.
In the modern era of the WC (1986 onwards), no WC has seen more than 3 scoreless regulation time draws in the knockout games prior to the final (L16/QF/SF)...
'86: 1
'90: 3
'94: 0
'98: 2
'02: 2
'06: 3
'10: 1
...for an overall average of 1 every 8.17 knockout games played.
The average for this WC is currently 1 every 2.67 knockout games played.

(2) There were 5 drawn games that required extra-time after 90 minutes.

In the modern era, no WC has seen more than 6 draws in the knockout games prior to the final (L16/QF/SF)...
'86: 4
'90: 6
'94: 3
'98: 3
'02: 5
'06: 4
'10: 3
...for an overall average of 1 every 3.50 knockout games played.
The average for this WC is currently 1 every 1.60 knockout games played.

(3a) There were 6 scoreless 1st halves.
The modern era scoreless 1st half numbers for knockout games (L16/QF/SF) are...
'86: 4
'90: 9
'94: 5
'98: 5
'02: 6
'06: 7
'10: 3
...for an average of 1 every 2.51 knockout games played.
The average for this WC is currently 1 every 1.33 knockout games played.

(3b) There were 4 scoreless 2nd halves.
The modern era scoreless 2nd half numbers for knockout games (L16/QF/SF) are...
'86: 3
'90: 4
'94: 3
'98: 5
'02: 6
'06: 7
'10: 0
...for an average of 1 every 3.50 knockout games played.
The average for this WC is currently 1 every 2.00 knockout games played.

(4) There were 11 regulation time goals scored in the L16 round.
The modern era regulation time goal numbers for knockout games (L16/QF/SF) are...
'86: 34
'90: 23
'94: 41
'98: 38
'02: 21
'06: 21
'10: 37
...for an average of 2.19 reg. gpg & 30.7 goals per knockout phase (L16/QF/SF).
The current WC would need to average only 1.67 reg. gpg over its remaining 4 QF & 2 SF to match the previous lowest totals from 2002 & 2006, and would need to average 3.28 gpg to match the standard average of 2.19.

Last edited:
France v Germany

Bets:
Both teams to score @ 1.95 (3u)
Germany ML @ 2.81 (1u)
Germany 0 @ 1.97 (5u)
Germany o1.5 goals @ 2.66 (2u)
o2.5 @ 2.25 (2u) will play in game

Pretty straight forward for me, this is an outrageous price for the Gerries.

Brasil v Colombia

Bets:
Brasil -0.5 @ 1.85 (8u)
Brasil -1.5 @ 3.35 (2u)
Brasil o1.5 goals @ 2.16 (3u)
Brasil to score both halves @ 3.35 (1u)
Penalty? Yes @ 3.75 (1u)
Total Cards o3.5 @ 2.34 (2u)

What a joke the officiating in that Brasil match.....40+ fouls and 1 yellow? Disallowed goal that should've counted? Guy that was off was not involved. Germany taking them down with or without JRN.

France v Germany

Bets:
Both teams to score @ 1.95 (3u)
Germany ML @ 2.81 (1u)
Germany 0 @ 1.97 (5u)
Germany o1.5 goals @ 2.66 (2u)
o2.5 @ 2.25 (2u) will play in game

Pretty straight forward for me, this is an outrageous price for the Gerries.

Brasil v Colombia

Bets:
Brasil -0.5 @ 1.85 (8u)
Brasil -1.5 @ 3.35 (2u)
Brasil o1.5 goals @ 2.16 (3u)
Brasil to score both halves @ 3.35 (1u)
Penalty? Yes @ 3.75 (1u)
Total Cards o3.5 @ 2.34 (2u)

missed the -1.5 but instead got the penalty and card bet in!

so it seems Neymar is not going to make it

Neymar is a doubt for Brazil's World Cup semifinal after he was stretchered off with a back injury during the quarterfinal defeat of Colombia, with coach Luiz Felipe Scolari saying "he won't be able to play."

The star forward, who was involved in a late collision, was taken to a private clinic after receiving treatment at the stadium, according to Scolari, though ESPN Brazil reported he was taken to the Sao Carlos Hospital, FIFA's official hospital in Forteleza.
"We lost Neymar, which probably based, on what I'm seeing, he won't be able to play," Scolari said. "We knew he would be hunted, so we are in a difficult situation, but we have good players who can come in. I think we will have a great game."
Brazil advance to face Germany on Tuesday and Scolari said it may be difficult for Neymar to recover in time.
"There will be a series of exams because he was kneed on his lower back and he was crying of pain," Scolari said. "We don't have an idea, but I can guarantee it won't be easy for him to recover, based on what the doctor told us and the pain he's in. I don't know, I really don't know. I hope it's OK."
The Selecao booked their place in the last four thanks to goals from Thiago Silva and David Luiz, with James Rodriguez's penalty proving just a consolation.
However, the gloss was taken off the win after Neymar went down injured following a heavy challenge from Juan Camilo Zuniga in the 88th minute.

The 22-year-old appeared to take a knee in the back, and as the medical staff came out to attend to the forward, they decided to stretcher him off the field.
The forward was swiftly taken down the tunnel, and it remains to be seen if he will recover in time for Tuesday's semifinal against Germany.
Should Brazil defeat Germany, the World Cup final awaits in nine days.
"If we are able to beat Germany, he might be able to play," Scolari said of Neymar's chances for the July 13 final. "But in this moment, I don't think it is very likely [he'll play against Germany], but he is young, has a lot of energy, but let's wait and see after these exams. With 48-hour treatment, he could play in the next match, but I think it will be difficult."

In the last 19 games, dogs have won 1 half (favs have won 16 halves, 21 drawn).

In the last 15 games, dogs have scored first once (favs 11 times, 3 scoreless games).

In the last 13 1st halves, dogs have scored a total of 1 goal (favs with 5 goals).

Dogs = offensive futility as of late.

Costa Rica +1 @ 1.96 (5u)
Costa Rica +0.5 @ 2.70 (2u)
Both teams to score @ 2.24 (5u)
Costa Rica o0.5 goals @ 1.97 (5u)
Netherlands to win in Pen @ 14.7 (1u)
Correct Score 1-1 @ 8.26 (1u)
Correct Score 2-2 @ 24.59 (1u)

I'm going with the idea that CR is going to pull off a major surprise here in the 90 mins

Costa Rica +1 @ 1.96 (5u)
Costa Rica +0.5 @ 2.70 (2u)
Both teams to score @ 2.24 (5u)
Costa Rica o0.5 goals @ 1.97 (5u)
Netherlands to win in Pen @ 14.7 (1u)
Correct Score 1-1 @ 8.26 (1u)
Correct Score 2-2 @ 24.59 (1u)

I'm going with the idea that CR is going to pull off a major surprise here in the 90 mins

congrats on that prop

On paper I think so. But I worry about BEL just getting overmatched and maybe being shut out

And that is exactly what happened, Belgium had no urgency, no ideas, horrendous execution and clearly didn't belong. I have to discount the US performance as well as the quality of the other teams in Group H, that is not an impressive side.

Back