**********WORLD CUP IN-GAME***********

not even close

you didnt watch italy 2 years ago

Waddle's pen sailed over a metre over the crossbar, I've never seen worse. Beckham's in 1998(?) was just as bad (now that I look at it again on youtube, it's even worse. Horrific).

Thing about football is, Croatia can win but in such a way that the books still make plenty both from pre-match bets & esp. live. Russia score 1st-lead at the half-game drawn after 90-Croatia wins in ET, that sort of crap. Football can shaft you badly even if/when the popular fave wins.

Even if I do say so myself, that's a helluva call.

Problem with advancing further than you expected is it creates unrealistic expectations. NZ was in with a shot of qualifying for the knockout stage in the 2010 WC, but they showed no attacking intent at all in their last group game vs Paraguay when 3 pts would've done the trick. Their offensive effort was infuriating to witness with a R16 spot up for grabs, but the fact is they didn't have the horses to compete with Paraguay in an open game, and just settled for not getting beaten (except maybe manage a fluke CA goal). Coach treated the 0-0 draw like a win, and any other day every NZ fan would take that result on foreign soil against a decent SA team in a heartbeat, but unreal results against Slovakia (miracle late added-on time goal to draw) and especially Italy had generated a dream that ultimately just wasn't realistic (making the knockouts).

Russia should've lost in the first part of the ET process, but a reserve keeper being on didn't help Croatia's cause. They were fortunate circumstances that led to the sudden death phase of ET, but Rus's lack of quality finally showed, as it was always going to. Just as it showed w/NZ in 2010.

If you really thought France was, you're a genius

Other than that, no way you penciled in the other three

There are four teams that aren't expected though

The worst of the 4 teams left is still ranked one of the top 20 sides in the world, and is also ranked 50 places higher than Russia (70th). So while Croatia's place in the semis might be unexpected/surprising, according to their ranking and history as a footballing nation (they made the semis in 1998 & ended up finishing 3rd) it can't be classified as having been a completely unrealistic expectation for their players/their fans to have had (unlike for Russia/ns). The other 3 teams are ranked 3rd, 7th & 12th. 12th ranked team makes the WC semis? If a team so ranked can't have such expectations of themselves being considered realistic before entering the WC, why have the WC?

Russia beating Spain was their WC final. The Saudis were ranked 67th before this WC, which means that the two lowest ranked teams were in the same group? That's a FIFA fix if ever there's been one. That served only one goal: give the home nation it's best chance to end the Cup with at least one W under their belts, never mind setting the stage for their qualification for the R16. They were given a mulligan to help them into the playoffs by that 'fix', then they pulled one out of their arse to beat Spain. As a Russian fan, you take that all day every day. Anything more is simply wanting to eat your cake too.

Anyone tailgating? Just had a nice huevos rancheros burrito and would love to bet on some CL qualies but I've only heard of three of these teams and they're all road chalk, and not laying it w/Celtic or HJK, possibly Warsaw? Teed you seem like you might now something about Cork City, or maybe Dylan does. I'm no fan of betting on Legia Warsaw I know that....might throw something on the Irishmen there

No line on Malmo hmm

Back