World Cup 2022 Discussion

Group A

Qatar - won’t pretend like I know much about this team. They have never qualified for the World Cup. They have no one on a club outside of Qatar. I believe this will in all likelihood be the worst hosting team we’ve ever had. South Africa was not very good in 2010, but they had some talent playing in Europe. I think there is potential for them to steal a point off Ecuador.

Ecuador - a team with a mix of old age and youth - Ecuador won the U19 South American championships in 2019 and much of that talent is now on this team. Caicedo from Brighton is the one to look for on this team but I don’t see much attacking up front. They played 6 games this summer as friendlies against generally solid opponents , and scored 2 goals in all of those games - one of those being agains the worst opponent, Cape Verde. I don’t see that changing much and I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a 0-0 in the opening game. I expect to be on Qatar in someway there but this a weak group and think Ecuador steal one somewhere and end up advancing.

Netherlands - it’s been nearly 18 months since the Netherlands lost to the Czech Republic - that’s their last loss. They are playing 3 CB’s and they are all world class - with options on the bench. The midfield and wingbacks are also potentially some of the best in the world but I am also concerned about the front. Memphis and Bergwjin have potential to tear this World Cup up - but I think they have potential to just not show up. They need De Jong to be on top of his game. I think they are the clear favorites in this group and if they start getting exposed it will be in the knockouts. Netherlands -300 is worth a good hard look.

Senegal - the terrible news for this team and country is Mane he picked up a knee injury just last week and it’s not even clear if he’s going to play, he is by far the best player on this team. There is a mix of great talent on this team and they just came off winning AFCON where they only gave up 2 goals. One thing to keep in mind, they needed a play in and laser pointers to even qualify for this tournament. If mane doesn’t play, or is limited - they will struggle

Group A projection

1 Netherlands
2 Ecuador
3 Senegal
4 Qatar

Group B

USA - This is probably the Americans most talented team ever, and it’s looking like 2026 might be where this team morphs into a golden generation - the USA is the youngest team in the World Cup. But for me they aren’t ready yet. They struggle to score, even against much weaker opponents. That leads to the question of who is the striker on this team? Ferreira? That’s not great. I think leaving pepi off the team is a huge mistake. They need pulisic, mckennie, adams (who got a dumb red in his last Leeds game) and others to really step up. Something not being mentioned often and I hope doesn’t end up factoring is the fact that all of our best players are all extremely injury prone. Biggest weakness for me? Berhalter. He’s not a good manager and he made extremely questionable decisions in qualifying. Somewhere, he will screw this team. I am hopeful that they beat Iran and get a point off England and Wales, or maybe even win one of those.

England - Their defense is not good, with Maguire and Stones prone to mistake. I think Pickford is better then he is given credit for but I’m not sure if he can save them though. attacking options though are some of the best in the World Cup - you would think. But they haven’t won in 6 consecutive games , and that’s includes a 4- 0 loss to Hungary. I think expectations for England are high, but I can see them also struggling to get out of this deceptively difficult group. England media celebrated when the draw happened but I think all three of the other teams can steal points from England. The Wales game will be a big deal at home for them.

Wales - my bold prediction is that Wales will end up winning this group. At +500 it is worth a stab and I will be on it at some point in the next week. Their biggest weakness is if Bale and or Ramsay get hurt, which seems to happen frequently. Keiffer Moore has recently been playing really well for Bournemouth too - and at 6’5 I could see him causing some havoc. Recent success also bodes well for Wales, 2016 euro semis, 2020 got to the knockouts in the euros, and then overcoming a tough qualifying play off against Ukraine.

Iran - I don’t know too too much here other then they’ve brought back their coach from 2014 and 2018 and all I know is they were extremely defensive in both of those world cups. Their starting striker, Tahemi, is also Porto’s starting striker. I think this will be a tough out for everyone with Iran playing 10 men behind the ball and hoping to hit teams on the counter - England and USA are both weak enough defensively where they can steal a win.

Predictions:

1 Wales
2 England
3 USA
4 Iran

Group C

Mexico - they did finish behind Canada in WC qualifying but I think generally speaking Mexico did not look very good throughout - they did not beat Canada or USA in any of the 4 games played. I’m not entirely sure what to say about this team except I feel like they need a refresh. Although they have a lot of depth and experience, I think the team is aging and not gracefully. I think the draw was fortunate for them and they end up advancing using that experience, as they always do. They won’t go further then that though.

Argentina - I am pretty surprised that they are only -250 favorites to win this group. They got the proverbial Mouse off their back but winning the Copa America. They also haven’t lost since the 2019 copa america final. Messi, after a tough first year at PSG, is coming back to his old form in year two by finding the perfect position for himself at his age. Despite previous years success, the recent success has to be related to finding a quality keeper for the first time in many years in Martinez. Despite all this good news, it appears they’ve lost Lo Celso for the World Cup a hamstring tear. Despite his club form, he is a critical piece for Argentina. Romero, also has missed the last few weeks with injury concerns. Still, this is a very complete team and clearly one of the favorites to win it all, and I expect them to float through the group stage.

Poland - every international tournament I hear about how Poland is a dark horse and to watch out. Oddsmakers agree and Poland is projected to finish second in this group. Every time I do watch Poland, the goal is to get the ball to lewandowski and hope he creates something. Lew can do this on Bayern and Barcelona and I feel when he is the one and only focal point on offense, he usually gets shut down. Although you may come to me and say hey lew has scored many goals in qualifying - my answer is against San Marino and Andorra. This team is getting old and I expect a usual flat performance from Poland as it appears they plan to play counter attack football this year.

Saudi Arabia - every player on Saudi Arabia also plays in Saudi Arabia. Despite that they had a great qualifying campaign and finished in first place. That said, as many of these Asians teams I just don’t know a ton other then to say they will probably sit back quite a bit at least initially. Saudi Arabia should get a boost from its fan, who undoubtedly will have many fans in Qatar

1 Argentina
2 Mexico
3 Poland
4 Saudi Arabia

Group D

France - this has been true for a long time but this is the most talented team top to bottom. Even with injuries to pogba, Kante and Varane - they are the best. Now they’ve added on to their team from 2018 with the presumptive ballon d’or winner karim benzema. If France is clicking it’s impossible to think they can be stopped … but with this team there is always a great chance that they won’t click. They are a younger team then 2018 as well. I project they win the group, and that means it’s Mexico in the knockouts.

Denmark - another team with a lot of taken that blew through the World Cup qualifying with no problem, losing one game and winning all of the rest. Denmark have actually already beat France twice this year already, certainly a good advantage to have. I think this is a well put together team that have played together for a long time, and a dark horse candidate to get far or win it.

Australia - the Australians seem to get weaker with every tournament. Their best player, Hrustic, is on an injury and it’s unclear if he’ll be able to play. When Australia left the Oceania federation it was thought that it was a way for them to get bigger with stronger competition - that hasn’t happened. I would be surprised if they are able to win any games and they should struggle.

Tunisia - like every other Arab world team, it seems Tunisia will sit behind the ball and hope to hit teams on the counter. The Australia - Tunisia game has potentially to be be a really tough one.

1 France
2 Denmark
3 Tunisia
4 Australia

Group B

USA - This is probably the Americans most talented team ever, and it’s looking like 2026 might be where this team morphs into a golden generation - the USA is the youngest team in the World Cup. But for me they aren’t ready yet. They struggle to score, even against much weaker opponents. That leads to the question of who is the striker on this team? Ferreira? That’s not great. I think leaving pepi off the team is a huge mistake. They need pulisic, mckennie, adams (who got a dumb red in his last Leeds game) and others to really step up. Something not being mentioned often and I hope doesn’t end up factoring is the fact that all of our best players are all extremely injury prone. Biggest weakness for me? Berhalter. He’s not a good manager and he made extremely questionable decisions in qualifying. Somewhere, he will screw this team. I am hopeful that they beat Iran and get a point off England and Wales, or maybe even win one of those.

England - Their defense is not good, with Maguire and Stones prone to mistake. I think Pickford is better then he is given credit for but I’m not sure if he can save them though. attacking options though are some of the best in the World Cup - you would think. But they haven’t won in 6 consecutive games , and that’s includes a 4- 0 loss to Hungary. I think expectations for England are high, but I can see them also struggling to get out of this deceptively difficult group. England media celebrated when the draw happened but I think all three of the other teams can steal points from England. The Wales game will be a big deal at home for them.

Wales - my bold prediction is that Wales will end up winning this group. At +500 it is worth a stab and I will be on it at some point in the next week. Their biggest weakness is if Bale and or Ramsay get hurt, which seems to happen frequently. Keiffer Moore has recently been playing really well for Bournemouth too - and at 6’5 I could see him causing some havoc. Recent success also bodes well for Wales, 2016 euro semis, 2020 got to the knockouts in the euros, and then overcoming a tough qualifying play off against Ukraine.

Iran - I don’t know too too much here other then they’ve brought back their coach from 2014 and 2018 and all I know is they were extremely defensive in both of those world cups. Their starting striker, Tahemi, is also Porto’s starting striker. I think this will be a tough out for everyone with Iran playing 10 men behind the ball and hoping to hit teams on the counter - England and USA are both weak enough defensively where they can steal a win.

Predictions:

1 Wales
2 England
3 USA
4 Iran
Booo - USA advances !

Spot on for USA . I would say this is USAs most talented team by a pretty large margin.

Not too concerned about the injury situation as most everyone is coming in with a clean bill of health, this last week was certainly stressful as they finished up there club duties ( only 4 players still have club responsibilities as of right now) .

Lack of scoring is a big concern , but they rarely had everyone healthy and playing together at the same time . Do not like our #9 situation, woukd like to see Gregg abandon the true #9 and get our best 11 on the field at the same time playing a false 9 type .

I think Englands backline is vulnerable and we should be able to give them fits .

I like USA to Advance , potentially winning the group and even win a knock out game

Alex , who is the big name team to not even get out of Group?

It happens every World Cup, based on your write up do you think it could be England ?

I've bet Senegal to advance and to win the group among other things, the risk of betting early and no clue what to do with them now. Hate that I was betting against the Dutch to make it out of groups and now w/o Mane they'll probably win it. Now I guess I have to hope for a point from the game against the Dutch with them trashing the game up.

I do think US advance, the Pepi thing is mind boggling for a team like US that has limited history, I can't imagine his current form being any worse than a couple guys that made the roster and at least he's proven he can deliver on the big stage. Berhalter has to know he's out if they don't qualify so I guess he wants to either make it or break it his own way.

Booo - USA advances !

Spot on for USA . I would say this is USAs most talented team by a pretty large margin.

Not too concerned about the injury situation as most everyone is coming in with a clean bill of health, this last week was certainly stressful as they finished up there club duties ( only 4 players still have club responsibilities as of right now) .

Lack of scoring is a big concern , but they rarely had everyone healthy and playing together at the same time . Do not like our #9 situation, woukd like to see Gregg abandon the true #9 and get our best 11 on the field at the same time playing a false 9 type .

I think Englands backline is vulnerable and we should be able to give them fits .

I like USA to Advance , potentially winning the group and even win a knock out game
If the US finish second, they could be in trouble with a potential Netherlands matchup but they would take it.

About the injuries - mckennie and reyna on hamstring injuries as recently as the last 1 weeks

How you are right though

It happens every World Cup, based on your write up do you think it could be England ?

So far yes. Over the summer there was talk about firing South Gate. I don’t think anyone it was serious, but the fact that it was a conversation says something…

I've bet Senegal to advance and to win the group among other things, the risk of betting early and no clue what to do with them now. Hate that I was betting against the Dutch to make it out of groups and now w/o Mane they'll probably win it. Now I guess I have to hope for a point from the game against the Dutch with them trashing the game up.

I do think US advance, the Pepi thing is mind boggling for a team like US that has limited history, I can't imagine his current form being any worse than a couple guys that made the roster and at least he's proven he can deliver on the big stage. Berhalter has to know he's out if they don't qualify so I guess he wants to either make it or break it his own way.

dont think its over for Senegal, but yeah im not making bets until Thursday just in case

If the US finish second, they could be in trouble with a potential Netherlands matchup but they would take it.

About the injuries - mckennie and reyna on hamstring injuries as recently as the last 1 weeks

How you are right though
Gio isn’t off an injury , just started and played for Dort on Friday and has been playing reg for them . Mckennie had a quad issue but is back to training. Non issue .

Such a difference in talent this year than past WC so even if something pops up in the WC there will not be as big of a drop off as before. With everyone healthy someone Like aaronson , weah , Musah , etc isn’t starting so plenty of depth . Going to be exciting for sure

Reactions: KJ
Gio isn’t off an injury , just started and played for Dort on Friday and has been playing reg for them . Mckennie had a quad issue but is back to training. Non issue .

Such a difference in talent this year than past WC so even if something pops up in the WC there will not be as big of a drop off as before. With everyone healthy someone Like aaronson , weah , Musah , etc isn’t starting so plenty of depth . Going to be exciting for sure

sorry that was meant to say "last few weeks"

I think I just remembering scoring in 30 seconds in 2014 and feeling pretty good and then Altidore done for the tournament by half time and I worry but hopefully you are right and nothing to worry about

Largely agree but not on Wales and going to let Poland take my money again lol.

If Qatar has a shot at a point in the three matches, it will be with the home crown on match 1. But I am high on Ecuador and see them handling business.

I think you better look twice, then thrice, then do a line of blow before betting an over in any of these matches

This is where I miss tip's square game

wasn't Qatar pretty solid in the gold cup last year? is this wc squad about the same?
They were interesting early but pissed out

And this will be against much better competition....if they score a goal it will be the highlight of their existence

Largely agree but not on Wales and going to let Poland take my money again lol.

If Qatar has a shot at a point in the three matches, it will be with the home crown on match 1. But I am high on Ecuador and see them handling business.

What kind of home crowd do we expect from the Qatari’s? I’m not sure that’s going to give them any advantage for a team like Ecuador.

What kind of home crowd do we expect from the Qatari’s? I’m not sure that’s going to give them any advantage for a team like Ecuador.
This is a legitimate question. Does anyone actually identify as Qatari? Never met one.

I would not be stunned if it were Portugal. I'd be more confident if there were a team slightly stronger than Ghana/SK

Disagree. You could pretty much make this argument for any European team. Every group has a great team (Belgium), a good team (Wales) and the rest suck. England had San Marino, Poland, Andorra, Hungary (who suck again) and Albania.

I dont think you read the whole thread , just the first tweet

Group A

Qatar - won’t pretend like I know much about this team. They have never qualified for the World Cup. They have no one on a club outside of Qatar. I believe this will in all likelihood be the worst hosting team we’ve ever had. South Africa was not very good in 2010, but they had some talent playing in Europe. I think there is potential for them to steal a point off Ecuador.

Ecuador - a team with a mix of old age and youth - Ecuador won the U19 South American championships in 2019 and much of that talent is now on this team. Caicedo from Brighton is the one to look for on this team but I don’t see much attacking up front. They played 6 games this summer as friendlies against generally solid opponents , and scored 2 goals in all of those games - one of those being agains the worst opponent, Cape Verde. I don’t see that changing much and I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a 0-0 in the opening game. I expect to be on Qatar in someway there but this a weak group and think Ecuador steal one somewhere and end up advancing.

Netherlands - it’s been nearly 18 months since the Netherlands lost to the Czech Republic - that’s their last loss. They are playing 3 CB’s and they are all world class - with options on the bench. The midfield and wingbacks are also potentially some of the best in the world but I am also concerned about the front. Memphis and Bergwjin have potential to tear this World Cup up - but I think they have potential to just not show up. They need De Jong to be on top of his game. I think they are the clear favorites in this group and if they start getting exposed it will be in the knockouts. Netherlands -300 is worth a good hard look.

Senegal - the terrible news for this team and country is Mane he picked up a knee injury just last week and it’s not even clear if he’s going to play, he is by far the best player on this team. There is a mix of great talent on this team and they just came off winning AFCON where they only gave up 2 goals. One thing to keep in mind, they needed a play in and laser pointers to even qualify for this tournament. If mane doesn’t play, or is limited - they will struggle

Group A projection

1 Netherlands
2 Ecuador
3 Senegal
4 Qatar

agree Ecuador, but don't like their chances to advance since they likely only beat Qatar

One thing to keep in mind, they needed a play in and laser pointers to even qualify for this tournament. If mane doesn’t play, or is limited - they will struggle

CAF did play-in's for every WC spot so that's not a demerit and they beat a really good Egypt team in penalties to win AFCON plus this so i wouldn't hate on them for that. Mane v important, but they have other young striking talent to score goals despite being hard to rely upon

agree Ecuador, but don't like their chances to advance since they likely only beat Qatar

CAF did play-in's for every WC spot so that's not a demerit and they beat a really good Egypt team in penalties to win AFCON plus this so i wouldn't hate on them for that. Mane v important, but they have other young striking talent to score goals despite being hard to rely upon

You’re 100% correct on that - I had forgotten they changed their format for everyone to be in the play in

Ecuador didn’t bring their player that is in a citizenship dispute , no idea if he was a key player

Anyways , I’ll be on Qatar , they aren’t the worst team in this competition. Ecuador is an ok team

Mane is out for at least the first two group matches, if they need a win against Ecuador to advance I bet he plays whether it's smart or not

Senegal are a rock defensively the last two AFCONs as well

Will attack through Sarr now imo on the right

Ecuador didn’t bring their player that is in a citizenship dispute , no idea if he was a key player

Anyways , I’ll be on Qatar , they aren’t the worst team in this competition. Ecuador is an ok team
He was a backup rightback

Ecuador media were surprised he was initially selected to the long list because of the risk/distraction compared to his role

Group E

Spain - a regenerated squad from years past that has a ton of talent. Enrique intends to play a high press style with a 4-3-3 lineup. I could easily see Spain winning the World Cup, but I could also easily seeing them bomb out of the group stage. I think where Spain could fall apart is Morata's inconsistencies. We can see him scoring goals for fun in one game, to missing the goal from a penalty kick in another game. Behind him, they don't have much. There were a lot of veterans of previous tournaments left off this team, rightly so due to performance - but that leadership is going to be missed in throughout. Also, in terms of the high pressing style - does the weather have an impact on that? Spain is a warm country, and last I saw Qatar is in the high 80's/low 90's currently ... but will the heat have an impact on such a style? This will be an interesting team to watch.

Germany - After a tough 2018 World Cup, and a tough finish to Low's career, Germany I think is back. Germany has never not qualified for the knockout stage. Germany has been in all of the semi finals since 2002, with the exception of 2018. They've got a good mix of young and old players. Germany's weakness if going to be their defense, which is complete immobile outside of Rudiger. They will attempt to take away the defense's vulnerabilities by attempting to play posesion football. With the midfield that they have, they should be successful even against a high pressing team like Spain. I expect Germany to go undefeated in this "group of death"

Costa Rica - Their chances of doing well stand with one man , Keylor Navas. Navas hasn't really been playing as the starter for PSG due to injury, he may not be in form. Otherwise, expecting to see Costa Rica throwing everything behind the ball and kicking some long balls and hoping for luck. In 2014, Costa Rica finished first in the group of death that had Italy and England in it. I don't think we will see that here, as I would surprised if Germany didn't float through. They started qualifying terrible, and the coach looked like he was going to be fired. They went unbeaten in the last 7 to finish 4th and then beat New Zealand to qualify. Since that time, they've only lost one game in a friendly to the U23 Nigerian team. That undefeated run hasn't been against the toughest competition so I take it with a grain of salt. They might get a point against Japan - but I expect them to lose every game.

Japan - if you can't tell, I'm pretty high on Germany and I think the biggest factor going against Japan is that they play Germany first. I think if Japan were to play Costa Rico, that could given them the momentum they need. Japan is mostly a European based squad with Minamino and Kamada likely being the two star plays. Kamada is currently tin 7th for most goals in Bundesliga, playing as midfielder. Traditionally, this would be another team that would play behind the ball - and maybe they will have to do that against the likes of Spain and Germany.... but I think this team is good enough to get a point from someone. If Japan can find a way to steal a point off Spain, and beat Costa Rica - they could be going to the round of 16 for the second straight tournament.

Predictions

1 Germany
2 Spain
3 Japan
4 Costa Rica

Does the US really not have red white and blue in their logo but the Matt Yag colors?

If so, I hope they lose. Bigly

Does the US really not have red white and blue in their logo but the Matt Yag colors?

French are red white and bleu

Fanboi them since Italians are stuck playing friendlies against Algeria this time of year

I believe, but could be wrong , that those colors are only in the training facilities , press room etc etc . They won’t be on the actually jerseys . So it’s save to cheer for USA

I believe, but could be wrong , that those colors are only in the training facilities , press room etc etc . They won’t be on the actually jerseys . So it’s save to cheer for USA
That this is an actual point of discussion is hilarious #colours

Ecuador barely attacked all qualification, it seems like the game will be on the home team's foot but they may expose themselves

Group B

Predictions:

1 Wales
2 England
3 USA
4 Iran
feel you on a lot of the USA thots, but maybe none of our guys playing real minutes besides the Leeds guys gives us the healthiest roster possible to overcome those injuries. Pepi barely played and got sent away from Augsburg, not sure his absence means anything and Ferreira did punish CONCACAF (but i guess it's concacaf)

Agree on selling England, though i want them to get embarrassed each time they play. Hungary did that, though they're solid, completely agree the group is not very easy i just don't know who to pick to dethrone them. Feels like a lot of draws to me, can Wales get a win cuz 1 goals seems like a maximum unless Bale is sinking free kicks. Moore is dangerous, Ramsey has also been quietly very good for Nice, but just don't know how Wales win more matches than England in this group (but will root for your 5/1)

Iran can cause some problems, i think they have to be defensive because their only big talent playing outside of Iran is Taremi (great) and Jahanbakhsh. Azmoun barely plays then Ghoddos really doesn't

Back