Why I'm betting the Gators

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
I feel bad, SN has started to write up paragraph after paragraph on why he's on a side again and here I am like, 'meh, gimmie the Browns ML. Because I said so, that's why.'

First, the disclaimer. I'm a Gator fan. If you think that makes the following less than objective, that's fine, I can completely understand that, you don't need to point it out.

Now, here's why I'm playing Florida in this game.

Sometimes you bet against teams. Their defense sucks or you know they can't contain the team they're going to play, or maybe it's a bad spot. But other times you play on a team and that's the case here.

I'm betting Florida here far more because of what I see in Florida than what I see in OU.

What I see is this.

One, the best college QB in the nation. Don't get me wrong, Bradford's good, but Tebow is like Vince Young in the way you have to game plan specifically for him. OU will almost certainly have to spy Tebow in some way. This means you're likely going to see a great deal of man coverage and Tebow, unlike a VY or a quicker running QB, can actually make the throws.

Two, more Tebow. No one is going to be more motivated to win this game than Tebow. First, there are the obvious comments by OU. But those are really just the icing on the cake. Tebow is hell-bent on proving he can be an NFL QB and he knows there are a lot of people out there who think that cannot and will not happen.

Personally, I think Tebow comes out after this game and he uses this as a showcase--and generally any time Tebow is fired up to prove a point, he plays very well.

Minor aside: About a month ago, Mel Kiper Jr. gets a call on his radio show as he's talking about Tebow and why he's not pro material at QB. The phone call is from Tebow who wants to know, specifically what it is in his game that Mel sees that says he can't do what he does on the next level.

Tim Tebow is not Matt Leinart. He's not out trying to catch STDs before kickoff, he's working on his game and he's focused--and if you doubt that go back and see the guarantee he made after their lone loss this year. No matter what you think about the guy or that moment, he's never not been prepared since, he's never not been ready to go since--and to me that means all the more when you happen to be the best at your position in the country. It's like when Jordan would spend the offseason adding another element to his game, you're just that much more f**ked.

Back to the larger picture on offense which also speaks to preparation and focus.

This is offensive coordinator Dan Mullen's last game with the Gators as he leaves to go be a HC. Urban Meyer is a touchy-feely coach in some ways, all about creating a family environment (Carroll at USC is somewhat similar). Given this, there is absolutely no way this offense is not focused and prepared for this game. Because win or lose, this is the end of this era of Gator football. Tebow might leave, but even if he stays, this offense, the one the Mullen ran, ends on Thursday night.

So just like USC, when you see a team lose a family member, expect to see them come out just a little more determined to send one of their own out on top.

Again, you can say it's the NC game and no one should need extra motivation, but that's not what I'm talking about exactly. I'm talking about focus, about preparation, about how the Gators have been in a Championship situation before and how in this particular case they have even more reason, on a team level (Mullen's last game), and on an indivdual level (Tebow with something to prove) to focus on what's important here and not be taken in by the distractions.

This team is about winning this game for mulitiple reasons, many of them personal and those are the teams you just hate to play against.

Now, that's all well and good, but how do they get the win.

Well, one thing jumped out at me from the Big XII Championship. Very early on, on one of the first drives of the game, Missouri moved the ball well and relatively easily. Why? Because Daniel scrambled. They very quickly got away from this as the score got out of hand, but getting Tebow out as a runner is in the Gators' gameplan every week. It's not a gimmick, it's something OU has to prepare for.

Which, again, goes back to man coverage. Because if you're spying or blitzing Tebow to keep him contained, you're singling up other guys.

Which, I believe, opens OU up to big plays--particularly from TEs like Aaron Hernandez.

Last night in the Fiesta Bowl they mentioned how Texas doesn't throw much to their TEs. Well, Hernandez, though young, is quite likely going to be an NFL TE as soon as he comes out.

So what you're telling me is that Texas, without a real threat at TE, put up 45 points on OU? How do they account for Florida's TEs?

Remember, Tebow's a lot like McCoy except that he's bigger, more experienced, and, you know, better.

Frankly, it's not just OU, I don't see how any team in the country can really cover all the threats Florida has on offense right now. Especially when you haven't seen them before.

You look at the teams who've played Florida close lately, and they've all seen this team before. Those teams have found ways to contain Tebow, contain Harvin, but they still haven't really found ways to win the game.

So now you have a rested, healthy Florida, playing against a team that hasn't seen them before, when the team that's closest to what they put on the field (Texas) put up 45 on them?

Florida's O-line is bigger, they've handled impressive D-lines like LSU and Alabama. Given that I think they can protect Tebow. And if they can protect Tebow, I don't see how OU keeps this team out of at least the upper 30s if not well into the 40s.

Defensively, I think Florida's good. Everybody seems to think they're really good, but that's not me. I think they have enough to keep OU somewhere in the 20s, and that they're good enough to turn OU over a couple of times. Which, with Florida's offense, is all I think they really need.

Ever since Mike Stoops left OU's had trouble stoping teams in bowl games, I think that continues here. Urban Meyer has proven that he knows how to prepare for a bowl game, Florida has every reason to really go after this one, I think they win. Hopefully big.

This is the biggest play I've made in two seasons.

Gators ML -160 (average) - approx. 10 units.

Gators -3/2.5 (-120 average) - approx. 6 units.

Good luck Thursday night everybody.

Great W/U Joe.

Have the 2nd leg of a ML Parlay with Florida.

This is what this game comes down to.

Two, more Tebow. No one is going to be more motivated to win this game than Tebow

You can't coach what he brings to the table, and you can gameplan against it. These are the types of games this kid lives for.

Thanks, Marlo.

You're right, there are certain types of players you want to not bet against in big games. Tebow fits this mold for me.

Joe let me make it really simple for you brother---

Bradford in MIAMI is playing but wants to win about 100% IN THIS GAME-

TEBOW in MIAMI is playing but wants to win about 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%%% in this game--

MEYER in a big game- smartest coach in a bowl game...

Biggest factor that no one is lookign at is a possibility that the CROWD could be PRO FLORIDA?

IF that is the case FLORIDA wins this game easily-- if they have the support of the crowd also--

OU has never seen a team like FLORIDA speed and plays and A QB like TEBOW--

Florida has seen QB's like Bradford, he does not run, mostly throws from the pocket, they wil attack attack attack BRADFORD and this one is over--

OU offense works vs weaker defenses-- florida can stop their O-

playing in miami is the wildcard for me--

Can anyone find out the crowd support in this game?

Howdy fellas....

Great points Joe - the defense of the Gators is what I see being the difference in this one. Both teams can score, both teams are well coached, but I see a huge advantage for the Gators D vs. OU's O. I see Florida scoring at will on this bunch.

:cheers:

You would have to dip into the Sunday League to find a football team capable of beating this UF squad Thursday night. Also, take a look at the OU tt under :)

I feel bad, SN has started to write up paragraph after paragraph on why he's on a side again and here I am like, 'meh, gimmie the Browns ML. Because I said so, that's why.'

First, the disclaimer. I'm a Gator fan. If you think that makes the following less than objective, that's fine, I can completely understand that, you don't need to point it out.

Now, here's why I'm playing Florida in this game.

Sometimes you bet against teams. Their defense sucks or you know they can't contain the team they're going to play, or maybe it's a bad spot. But other times you play on a team and that's the case here.

I'm betting Florida here far more because of what I see in Florida than what I see in OU.

What I see is this.

One, the best college QB in the nation. Don't get me wrong, Bradford's good, but Tebow is like Vince Young in the way you have to game plan specifically for him. OU will almost certainly have to spy Tebow in some way. This means you're likely going to see a great deal of man coverage and Tebow, unlike a VY or a quicker running QB, can actually make the throws.

Two, more Tebow. No one is going to be more motivated to win this game than Tebow. First, there are the obvious comments by OU. But those are really just the icing on the cake. Tebow is hell-bent on proving he can be an NFL QB and he knows there are a lot of people out there who think that cannot and will not happen.

Personally, I think Tebow comes out after this game and he uses this as a showcase--and generally any time Tebow is fired up to prove a point, he plays very well.

Minor aside: About a month ago, Mel Kiper Jr. gets a call on his radio show as he's talking about Tebow and why he's not pro material at QB. The phone call is from Tebow who wants to know, specifically what it is in his game that Mel sees that says he can't do what he does on the next level.

Tim Tebow is not Matt Leinart. He's not out trying to catch STDs before kickoff, he's working on his game and he's focused--and if you doubt that go back and see the guarantee he made after their lone loss this year. No matter what you think about the guy or that moment, he's never not been prepared since, he's never not been ready to go since--and to me that means all the more when you happen to be the best at your position in the country. It's like when Jordan would spend the offseason adding another element to his game, you're just that much more f**ked.

Back to the larger picture on offense which also speaks to preparation and focus.

This is offensive coordinator Dan Mullen's last game with the Gators as he leaves to go be a HC. Urban Meyer is a touchy-feely coach in some ways, all about creating a family environment (Carroll at USC is somewhat similar). Given this, there is absolutely no way this offense is not focused and prepared for this game. Because win or lose, this is the end of this era of Gator football. Tebow might leave, but even if he stays, this offense, the one the Mullen ran, ends on Thursday night.

So just like USC, when you see a team lose a family member, expect to see them come out just a little more determined to send one of their own out on top.

Again, you can say it's the NC game and no one should need extra motivation, but that's not what I'm talking about exactly. I'm talking about focus, about preparation, about how the Gators have been in a Championship situation before and how in this particular case they have even more reason, on a team level (Mullen's last game), and on an indivdual level (Tebow with something to prove) to focus on what's important here and not be taken in by the distractions.

This team is about winning this game for mulitiple reasons, many of them personal and those are the teams you just hate to play against.

Now, that's all well and good, but how do they get the win.

Well, one thing jumped out at me from the Big XII Championship. Very early on, on one of the first drives of the game, Missouri moved the ball well and relatively easily. Why? Because Daniel scrambled. They very quickly got away from this as the score got out of hand, but getting Tebow out as a runner is in the Gators' gameplan every week. It's not a gimmick, it's something OU has to prepare for.

Which, again, goes back to man coverage. Because if you're spying or blitzing Tebow to keep him contained, you're singling up other guys.

Which, I believe, opens OU up to big plays--particularly from TEs like Aaron Hernandez.

Last night in the Fiesta Bowl they mentioned how Texas doesn't throw much to their TEs. Well, Hernandez, though young, is quite likely going to be an NFL TE as soon as he comes out.

So what you're telling me is that Texas, without a real threat at TE, put up 45 points on OU? How do they account for Florida's TEs?

Remember, Tebow's a lot like McCoy except that he's bigger, more experienced, and, you know, better.

Frankly, it's not just OU, I don't see how any team in the country can really cover all the threats Florida has on offense right now. Especially when you haven't seen them before.

You look at the teams who've played Florida close lately, and they've all seen this team before. Those teams have found ways to contain Tebow, contain Harvin, but they still haven't really found ways to win the game.

So now you have a rested, healthy Florida, playing against a team that hasn't seen them before, when the team that's closest to what they put on the field (Texas) put up 45 on them?

Florida's O-line is bigger, they've handled impressive D-lines like LSU and Alabama. Given that I think they can protect Tebow. And if they can protect Tebow, I don't see how OU keeps this team out of at least the upper 30s if not well into the 40s.

Defensively, I think Florida's good. Everybody seems to think they're really good, but that's not me. I think they have enough to keep OU somewhere in the 20s, and that they're good enough to turn OU over a couple of times. Which, with Florida's offense, is all I think they really need.

Ever since Mike Stoops left OU's had trouble stoping teams in bowl games, I think that continues here. Urban Meyer has proven that he knows how to prepare for a bowl game, Florida has every reason to really go after this one, I think they win. Hopefully big.

This is the biggest play I've made in two seasons.

Gators ML -160 (average) - approx. 10 units.

Gators -3/2.5 (-120 average) - approx. 6 units.

Good luck Thursday night everybody.

:smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe:

Incredible writeup JP.

Mully :cheers:

great write-up Joe. How can I dissagree with any of it? Let's just emphasize the fact that SPEED KILLS. Coupled with the motivation factors you mentioned above plus another one you missed.....who got the Heisman trophy this year? Who wants to prove he deserved it more? :smiley_acbe:

I have good size chunk on it too Joe. We will not lose this one. WORD

GO GATORS
attachment.php

When he speaks, he spits fire!

Very compelling and excellent writeup, Joe P. With you on the gatas....

By the way, nice work to Mully on pulling out the important passages. Something tells me he did very well on the reading comprehension parts of the SAT.

florida , meyer makes sure he gets the fastest players---
OU gets bigger players not sure they are fast like florida

While it appears that 90% of CTG and 70% of the world will be betting on Florida, I'll be cashing OU ML...no need to state my reasons why, as everyone would probably disagree.

GL:popcorn:

BOWL SYSTEM

BUCKING THE HEISMAN WINNER IN THE BOWLS
One of the simplest & most successful bowl systems around, is to go against the
team on which the current Heisman Trophy winner plays. Let's see how this
simple & uncomplicated trend has fared over the last 34 bowl campaigns.

YEAR BOWL FOE OF HEISMAN WINNER LINE RESULT
1974 SO CALIF 18 - Ohio State (Archie Griffin) 17 + 6½ WINNER
1975 UCLA 23 - Ohio State (Archie Griffin) 10 + 14 WINNER
1976 GEORGIA 3 - Pittsburgh (Tony Dorsett) 27 + 3½ Loser
1977 NOTRE DAME 38 - Texas (Earl Campbell) 10 + 6½ WINNER
1978 NEBRASKA 24 - Oklahoma (Billy Sims) 31 + 11 WINNER
1979 OHIO STATE 16 - So Calif (Charles White) 17 + 7½ WINNER
1980 PITTSBURGH 37 - So Caro (George Rogers) 9 - 10 WINNER
1981 PENN STATE 26 - So Calif (Marcus Allen) 10 + 2 WINNER
1982 PENN STATE 27 - Georgia (Herschel Walker) 23 - 4 Tie
1983 MIAMI (FLA) 31 - Nebraska (Mike Rozier) 30 + 11½ WINNER
1984 HOUSTON 28 - Boston College (Doug Flutie) 45 + 6 Loser
1985 TEXAS A&M 36 - Auburn (Bo Jackson) 16 + 2½ WINNER
1986 PENN STATE 14 - Miami (Vinnie Testaverde) 10 + 7 WINNER
1987 TEXAS A&M 35 - Notre Dame (Tim Brown ) 10 + 4½ WINNER
1988 WYOMING 14 - Okla St (Barry Sanders) 62 + 2½ Loser
1989 Houston (Andre Ware) did not go to a bowl.
1990 TEXAS A&M 65 - Byu (Ty Detmer) 14 + 3 WINNER
1991 WASHINGTON 34 - Mich (Desmond Howard) 14 - 6½ WINNER
1992 ALABAMA 34 - Miami (Gino Torretta) 13 + 8 WINNER
1993 NEBRASKA 16 - Florida St (Charlie Ward) 18 + 15½ WINNER
1994 NOTRE DAME 24 - Colorado (R. Salaam) 41 + 7½ Loser
1995 TENNESSEE 20 - Ohio State (Eddie George) 14 - 4 WINNER
1996 FLORIDA ST 20 - Florida (Danny Wuerffel) 52 + 3½ Loser
1997 WASH ST 16 - Michigan (Charles Woodson) 21 + 6 WINNER
1998 MISSISSIPPI ST 11 - Texas (Ricky Williams) 38 + 6½ Loser
1999 STANFORD 9 - Wisconsin (Ron Dayne) 17 + 13½ WINNER
2000 OKLAHOMA 13 - Florida State (Chris Weinke) 2 + 10 WINNER
2001 MIAMI-FLORIDA 37 - Nebraska (Eric Crouch) 14 - 8½ WINNER
2002 IOWA 17 - Southern California (Carson Palmer) 38 + 5 Loser
2003 LOUISIANA ST 21 - Oklahoma (Jason White) 14 + 5½ WINNER
2004 OKLAHOMA 19 - So California (Matt Leinart) 55 + 2 Loser
2005 TEXAS 41 - So California (Reggie Bush) 38 + 7 WINNER
2006 FLORIDA 41 - Ohio State (Troy Smith) 14 + 4 WINNER
2007 MICHIGAN 41 - Florida (Tim Tebow) 35 + 10½ WINNER

RESULT: 24-8-1: 75% VS SPREAD

BOWL SYSTEM

BUCKING THE HEISMAN WINNER IN THE BOWLS
One of the simplest & most successful bowl systems around, is to go against the
team on which the current Heisman Trophy winner plays. Let's see how this
simple & uncomplicated trend has fared over the last 34 bowl campaigns.

YEAR BOWL FOE OF HEISMAN WINNER LINE RESULT
1974 SO CALIF 18 - Ohio State (Archie Griffin) 17 + 6½ WINNER
1975 UCLA 23 - Ohio State (Archie Griffin) 10 + 14 WINNER
1976 GEORGIA 3 - Pittsburgh (Tony Dorsett) 27 + 3½ Loser
1977 NOTRE DAME 38 - Texas (Earl Campbell) 10 + 6½ WINNER
1978 NEBRASKA 24 - Oklahoma (Billy Sims) 31 + 11 WINNER
1979 OHIO STATE 16 - So Calif (Charles White) 17 + 7½ WINNER
1981 PENN STATE 26 - So Calif (Marcus Allen) 10 + 2 WINNER
1983 MIAMI (FLA) 31 - Nebraska (Mike Rozier) 30 + 11½ WINNER
1984 HOUSTON 28 - Boston College (Doug Flutie) 45 + 6 Loser
1985 TEXAS A&M 36 - Auburn (Bo Jackson) 16 + 2½ WINNER
1986 PENN STATE 14 - Miami (Vinnie Testaverde) 10 + 7 WINNER
1987 TEXAS A&M 35 - Notre Dame (Tim Brown ) 10 + 4½ WINNER
1988 WYOMING 14 - Okla St (Barry Sanders) 62 + 2½ Loser
1989 Houston (Andre Ware) did not go to a bowl.
1990 TEXAS A&M 65 - Byu (Ty Detmer) 14 + 3 WINNER
1992 ALABAMA 34 - Miami (Gino Torretta) 13 + 8 WINNER
1993 NEBRASKA 16 - Florida St (Charlie Ward) 18 + 15½ WINNER
1994 NOTRE DAME 24 - Colorado (R. Salaam) 41 + 7½ Loser
1996 FLORIDA ST 20 - Florida (Danny Wuerffel) 52 + 3½ Loser
1997 WASH ST 16 - Michigan (Charles Woodson) 21 + 6 WINNER
1998 MISSISSIPPI ST 11 - Texas (Ricky Williams) 38 + 6½ Loser
1999 STANFORD 9 - Wisconsin (Ron Dayne) 17 + 13½ WINNER
2000 OKLAHOMA 13 - Florida State (Chris Weinke) 2 + 10 WINNER
2002 IOWA 17 - Southern California (Carson Palmer) 38 + 5 Loser
2003 LOUISIANA ST 21 - Oklahoma (Jason White) 14 + 5½ WINNER
2004 OKLAHOMA 19 - So California (Matt Leinart) 55 + 2 Loser
2005 TEXAS 41 - So California (Reggie Bush) 38 + 7 WINNER
2006 FLORIDA 41 - Ohio State (Troy Smith) 14 + 4 WINNER
2007 MICHIGAN 41 - Florida (Tim Tebow) 35 + 10½ WINNER
2008 FLORIDA 38- Oklahoma (Sam Bradford) 28 +3 Loser

RESULT: 24-8-1: 75% VS SPREAD

There you go, I added this year :)

While it appears that 90% of CTG and 70% of the world will be betting on Florida, I'll be cashing OU ML...no need to state my reasons why, as everyone would probably disagree.

GL:popcorn:

Will you PLEASE come back into this thread after the game, win or lose, and state your reasons? I'm sincerely interested in hearing your opposing take.

I think the numerous solid cappers in this thread who've stated their support for The Gators have always shown respect to opposing viewpoints...just because we disagree is no reason to fear posting your opinion.

Good Health on Thursday.

It seems to be rare that the Heisman winner is a dog his bowl game. Not saying anything, because I have the gators @ 2.5 with a buy, but this is an interesting trend as well.

It seems to be rare that the Heisman winner is a dog his bowl game. Not saying anything, because I have the gators @ 2.5 with a buy, but this is an interesting trend as well.

Damn, FSU Fan Jinx...I'm taking OU.

Will you PLEASE come back into this thread after the game, win or lose, and state your reasons? I'm sincerely interested in hearing your opposing take.

I think the numerous solid cappers in this thread who've stated their support for The Gators have always shown respect to opposing viewpoints...just because we disagree is no reason to fear posting your opinion.

Good Health on Thursday.

Ditto :cheers:

Good Health on Thursday.

Will post my thoughts sometime today/tonight...

didn't mean any disrespect!

Another factor is you've got to look at a coach and teams bowl history. There are 40 days from when the final regular season game ends to the BCS bowls.

You have finals, bowl practices, traveling, and most importantly guys that have their eyes on the NFL (OU players go to OU to get to the NFL not to become doctors more then any big traditional power in college football). OU has each year more JRs declare that have no business declaring then any school I've ever seen.

I don't know what Bob Stoops does during these 40 days but whatever it is it's wrong. OU has been pathetic in the BCS bowl games. They've been huge favorites in everyone except for the USC game and they aren't just getting beat they are getting whipped pretty bad.

Look at Pete Carroll and how he gets his guys up and ready for the bowl game every year regardless if they are heavy favorites they come to play.

This to me is a big reason Florida will win. All of you saying Florida is more talented, team speed, etc is nonsense. OU has NFL players up and down their roster and I promise you they will have more first day draft picks in April then Florida will. Florida is not the head and shoulders more talented team in this match up.

The pressure is on OU to perform and based on past bowl history I just don't think they will.

Another factor is you've got to look at a coach and teams bowl history. There are 40 days from when the final regular season game ends to the BCS bowls.

You have finals, bowl practices, traveling, and most importantly guys that have their eyes on the NFL (OU players go to OU to get to the NFL not to become doctors more then any big traditional power in college football). OU has each year more JRs declare that have no business declaring then any school I've ever seen.

I don't know what Bob Stoops does during these 40 days but whatever it is it's wrong. OU has been pathetic in the BCS bowl games. They've been huge favorites in everyone except for the USC game and they aren't just getting beat they are getting whipped pretty bad.

Look at Pete Carroll and how he gets his guys up and ready for the bowl game every year regardless if they are heavy favorites they come to play.

This to me is a big reason Florida will win. All of you saying Florida is more talented, team speed, etc is nonsense. OU has NFL players up and down their roster and I promise you they will have more first day draft picks in April then Florida will. Florida is not the head and shoulders more talented team in this match up.

The pressure is on OU to perform and based on past bowl history I just don't think they will.

Here is a stat from when each respective team has more than one week to prepare for a football game( Includes Bowl games)..

Stoops: 18-7
Meyer: 25-3

damn...that's over 23 units out there on this game JoeP, I rarely see you step up like that, man, I'm impressed with the confidence you're displaying. I hope you're right as I'm on the Gators as well @ -3, thinking their defense wins them this game. Your write-up on the game is spot on in my opinion, good luck.

Euros' Thoughts on Florida/Oklahoma match-up...

A few wanted my thoughts on the game (from Joe Public's "Why I'm betting Florida" thread")...

Since both of these teams are arguably the best two offenses in college football, let's start with each O.

Florida O:
Tim Tebow -- really no need to put up stats here as he is Tim Tebow. However, this is pretty important in my stance.
Tim is 174 - 268 for 2,515 yards 28 TD's 2 INT's. 154 carries for 564 yards and 12 TD's. That is 21 pass attempts and 12 carries a game. Also means he completes only 13 completions/game.
The most he ever completed in a game was 24, the game he lost to Ole Miss.
Florida runs the ball almost twice as much as they do pass. However, I would too, since Florida averages 6.0 yards/carry and have rushed the ball for almost 3,000 yards.
Florida OL: 6'6" 310, 6'6" 310, 6'5" 310, 6'6"330, 6'6"310.
Speed on the outside, however, underutilized due to the passing game IMO because they don't get it to them enough through the air...However, when in a close game, or coming from behind (ala Ole Miss) they had to go to the pass over the run and were not as successful and that game became their only L of the season.
UF O Production: 212 passing yards and 230 rushing yards/game.

Oklahoma O:
Sam Bradford -- 302 -442 for 4464 yards 48 TD's 6 INT's. Does not run...will, but not a threat. No need for stats here.
34 pass attempts and 23 completions a game for 343 yards a game.
As a team (because Murray will be out, Brown and Madu will get all carries), OU has 560 rushes for 2672 yards. That's 206 yards/game.
OU OL: 6'8" 340, 6'5" 330, 6'3" 295, 6'6" 310, 6'5" 310.
OU also has speed on edges with Iglesias, Johnson, and Broyles.
OU O Production: 343 passing yards and 206 rushing yards/game.

I'm siding with OU's offense over Florida's. They average 15 more plays a game than Florida, and IMO, has a more balanced attack. Not saying Florida has no balance, but when Florida threw the ball more than 27 times, they lost the game, because they had to move away from the run.
Two games this year, Florida/Tebow has attempted more than 30 pass attempts. Ole Miss and Miami. Scored 30 and lost toOle Miss and only scored 26 against Miami. More passing, less scoring, more running, more scoring for the Gators. Ole Miss held Tebow to 7 yards rushing, making him have to attack the Rebel defense through the air..
OU had two games where they scored only 35 points, their lowest TT this year. First game against TCU. Their defense held TCU to just 10 points. Second time they scored 35, OU lost to rival Texas 45 - 35. Texas had a great 4th quarter comeback by attacking OU's secondary, and most notably, their 3rd string MLB through the air. Bradford still had 387 yards and 5 TD's in that game. As we found out last night in the Fiesta Bowl, and in the Tech and OU game, McCoy is the best there is in bringing back his team to win by hitting his receivers. With arguably a top 3 OL, I believe Bradford will have enough to time to pass through that Florida defense for 275+ yards and at least 3 TD's.

As for the OU and UF Defenses, I will say this. You have to give the edge to UF here as they have been solid all season. I like both sides speed on the defensive side of the ball, and I like the front 4 of OU as much as I like the front 4 of UF. However OU having 42 sacks and UF having 32 sacks could be a huge stat to think about here....I know Sammy, OU is sacking BS Big XII QB's, blah, blah, blah. I completely disagree with that statement. Florida has played their fair share of BS QB's/OL's in Citadel, Kentucky, Vandy, Hawaii, and South Carolina. I like both teams LB's, as they are big and fast. Definitely side to Florida here due to Balogun starting at MLB for OU. How he plays is huge in determing a winner, I believe. However, UF's backers job on Thursday night is to cover Jermaine Gresham, a top TE in the league in 6'7" 260 and runs a 4.4/4.5 40...UF's secondary will be tested by the best passer in the nation Thursday night and will be interesting to see how they fare. They are young, but are damn athletic.

I see OU getting up early, (1st Q) and leading at Half by 4 - 7 pts (24 - 17). In the second half, if OU can stop UF's 1st and/or 2nd drive, get the ball and score, I see Meyer slowly moving from the run game to the pass game, and Florida slowly fading as the Gators have to be able to establish the run to win their games...as evidenced by the Ole Miss game.
Some will say that UF didn't have their running game going in the Alabama game, and that is true. It was pretty weak for this explosive Florida team, however, Alabama's QB is nothing compared to that of Bradford and their Offense isn't even close.

***Venables spent 3 days in Lincoln with Bo Pelini looking at tape of Florida in mid December. Pelini is a hell of a defensive mind, and along with Venables and Stoops, I think Oklahoma gameplans to stop the run and Tebow and is successful at stopping the run with their athletic front 7.
If Florida plans to stop OU's run game, Bradford will have a field day. If they sit back, Chris Brown and Mossis Madu run crazy.
Tebow must win with his arm, and I have yet to have that much confidence in his ability to throw the ball on a consistent basis throughout a full game.***

This is going to be a good one, a lot better one than people seem to think.

Nice stuff Joe !! I am on Fla minus the points. I have a few other things I feel go hand in hand with this. Will get em written up in the morning.

Basically, if UF establishes the run, pretty much game over for OU as Florida will be able to control the clock and keep OU's O off the field.

I don't think this happens and feel OU stops Florida's run offense, controls the clock with their own running game, and Bradford wins the game MVP.

Basically, if UF establishes the run, pretty much game over for OU as Florida will be able to control the clock and keep OU's O off the field.

I don't think this happens and feel OU stops Florida's run offense, controls the clock with their own running game, and Bradford wins the game MVP.

And hopefully moves on to the Detroit Lions...:cheers:

damn...that's over 23 units out there on this game JoeP, I rarely see you step up like that, man, I'm impressed with the confidence you're displaying. I hope you're right as I'm on the Gators as well @ -3, thinking their defense wins them this game. Your write-up on the game is spot on in my opinion, good luck.

Thanks, horses.

You're right, this is rare. To give some historical perspective, the last time I had a wager of this size it was about 2.5 years ago. It was the first Eagles game against Dallas where T.O. came back to Philly. As it turned out, this was the game where Lito Shepard basically ended Drew Bledsoe's career and began the Tony Romo era.

As others (including Sammy) have said, part of that is because of the intangibles surrounding this. That's when I'm willing to go out on a limb like this, when it's more than just a matter of me believing the team is better than the other, but they have something (or things) driving them emotionally that are very powerful and rare.

I think the difference in this game will be the speed of the UF front 7 versus the Oklahoma OL. I think after seeing Ole Miss get to Harrell, Ohio St getting to McCoy (who is mobile), UF is going to be able to get to Bradford who has no mobility and they are going to hit him, he is going to be moving his feet and he is going to be uncomfortable in the pocket. I think another deciding factor in this game is Special Teams. UF is the best at it and Oklahoma isn't suddenly going to make major strides in a month to what UF has been doing for multiple years. Its like how VT always hits you with some special teams play out of no where, same thing, UF is going to flip field position with the help of James and maybe break one for a long gain.

I do have a future on UF and a bet on them, so maybe I am biased right now.

Tim Tebow is my hero

:moose:

Thanks, horses.

You're right, this is rare. To give some historical perspective, the last time I had a wager of this size it was about 2.5 years ago. It was the first Eagles game against Dallas where T.O. came back to Philly. As it turned out, this was the game where Lito Shepard basically ended Drew Bledsoe's career and began the Tony Romo era.

As others (including Sammy) have said, part of that is because of the intangibles surrounding this. That's when I'm willing to go out on a limb like this, when it's more than just a matter of me believing the team is better than the other, but they have something (or things) driving them emotionally that are very powerful and rare.

I understand how you feel on this game, but does UF have "driving them emotionally that is very powerful and rare" that OU does not have?

OU has to listen to "Chokelahoma," how they can win the big one, how they can't win a BCS Bowl Game, how they are not even supposed to be here, and trust me, the players are sick and tired of it.
No one is giving them a chance and their defensive leader is making it known to them team.
I don't know how one can say Florida is being driven by "some power" and Oklahoma isn't...just doesn't make sense to me.

I understand how you feel on this game, but does UF have "driving them emotionally that is very powerful and rare" that OU does not have?

They do, the end Dan Mullen's tenure there, and Tebow's motivation to both send that guy out with the thanks for what he's done for his career and prove he's NFL caliber.

I think the difference in this game will be the speed of the UF front 7 versus the Oklahoma OL. I think after seeing Ole Miss get to Harrell, Ohio St getting to McCoy (who is mobile), UF is going to be able to get to Bradford who has no mobility and they are going to hit him, he is going to be moving his feet and he is going to be uncomfortable in the pocket. I think another deciding factor in this game is Special Teams. UF is the best at it and Oklahoma isn't suddenly going to make major strides in a month to what UF has been doing for multiple years. Its like how VT always hits you with some special teams play out of no where, same thing, UF is going to flip field position with the help of James and maybe break one for a long gain.

I do have a future on UF and a bet on them, so maybe I am biased right now.

Tim Tebow is my hero

agree with you on ST's. can't argue the other way. OU's KOR game is just not good.
However, Ole Miss sacked Harrell 2 times and hurried him 6 times. OU sacked Harrell 4 times and hurried him 9 times.
I will be very surprised if that OU line does not give Bradford time like they have all season.

:shake:Good stuff JP. I have leaned OU since the game opened but not certain. Already guility of overthinking the game today . I was disappointed with how the FLA defense played vs Bama . Actually very disappointed but they did step up in the 4th Quarter ...

Both teams will be motivated. They are playing for the whole thing.

Agreed, but that's one thing I was trying to underscore earlier. I'm not saying OU won't be motivated. They will be. I'm saying the motivation for Florida is something a little deeper.

It's like that D-lineman for OU, who's sort of playing for his mother who died. Only in the case of Florida, it's not one guy playing for one very personal reason, it's their entire offense, playing as one, for the same very personal reason on top of any personal motivation they have. Doing it for everything this era of Gator football has given them. It's somewhat difficult to explain, but you saw it with USC vs. Penn St. Similar situation. The guy who ran their offense stayed for one final big game. They made sure to pay that off because that's the type of program they've built. Similar situation on Thursday.

I think Joe your trying to say since tebow's speech after the Ole Miss loss he is clearly on a mission . Which is of interest since he has proven to be a leader ...now I go to sleep with that !:shake:

While I agree that OU hasn't seen a team like UF, I would also point out that UF hasn't seen a team like OU. The SEC was WAY down this season. Either way I think this game is bound to be a blowout. Someone is bound to be flat after forty days off. The offenses are too explosive, one early mistake and one side will be up DD+. I would lean UF because I think Urban is the real Manchurian Candidate, the guy ain't human he's so good, but I wouldn't dismiss Oklahoma.

Three things I want to see...

1. How does UF D react to Oklahomas hurry up offense? We saw tOSU get tripped up last night against Texas with it..Oklahoma gets 80 plays a game in, that's asinine.

2. Penalties..both teams get penalized their fair share but Oklahoma always seem to make dumb penalties in key situations whether it's a block in the back on a long kick off or roughing the passer, personal fouls etc. They can be overagressive at times.

3. Special teams..James is the truth and Oklahoma special teams defense is sketchy to say the least. They needed these last 40 days to improve that.

great stuff euros and jp.

If Oklahoma can overcome 2 and 3 I believe they win the game.

Back