Who Will Win 2020 CFB Title Futures Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Juicy Value Available For 2020 College Football Title Futures

2020 College Football Title Futures:

NCAAF Picks: Oregon, Michigan, Michigan State

Value is the key concept when it comes to long-term futures. The following teams will be legitimate title contenders and the payout won’t be nearly as sweet later as it is now.

Oregon +3000

Oregon’s 2019 recruiting class is the best in school history and the best in the PAC-12. Plus, quarterback star Justin Herbert is returning for another season. It would be unfair to quibble about Herbert’s statistical regression because he had to execute an entirely different offense. Under Willie Taggart, Herbert tended to throw from the pocket to all four quadrants of the field. Under Mario Cristobal, Herbert is more frequently bootlegging and otherwise throwing on the run, often fitting the ball into tight windows. He will get his numbers back up with more experience and comfort with Cristobal’s offense.

The offense will be run-first. The Ducks return all five starting offensive linemen and their two leading rushers. Cristobal is emphasizing size and physicality and Oregon’s power run scheme will be extremely successful in a soft conference whose defenses are geared to stop spread, pass-first offenses. C.J. Verdell ran for 1018 yards on five YPC as a freshman.

On defense, the Ducks will bring in the second-highest-ranked defensive end recruit, Kayvon Thibodeaux. He can make an immediate impact as an elite pass rusher and so pick up where graduating defensive end Jalen Jelks left off. The rest of Oregon’s d-line remains in tact. Other top recruits include the sixth-ranked cornerback. Oregon’s secondary is already stacked with NFL-caliber cornerback Thomas Graham, who had also started as a true freshman, and rising talent Deommodore Lenoir. Furthermore, the third-ranked linebacker Mase Funa and Ge’mon Eaford, the 11th-ranked linebacker, can replace Justin Hollins and possibly Troy Dye. Both will punish opponents with their physicality.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michigan +1400

Shea Patterson turned out to be a solid addition as he added efficiency and playmaking ability that had been absent at quarterback in 2017-18. Patterson was effective as a runner both in zone-read option plays and as a scrambler. He ran for 273 yards in addition to throwing for 2,600 yards and 22 touchdowns. Nico Collins and Donovan Peoples-Jones return for their third year. Collins is physically talented and has strong hands which allow him to make plays in traffic. DPJ is a game-breaker with his speed and explosiveness on top of his improved route-running abilities. Don’t forget Tarik Black, if he can stay healthy, who had been viewed as Michigan’s top receiver.

Michigan’s run game needs to be a more positive factor against its top opponents. Its protection unit will improve in guru offensive line coach Ed Warinner’s second year with the addition of four four-star blockers, the first blockers that he recruited. The return of its second- and third-string running backs and the recruitment of the third-ranked running back will help make up for the loss of Karan Higdon.

UM’s defensive line will still be one of the best. Losing Rashan Gary is no big deal because he was a non-factor for much of the season. Kwity Paye, most known for achieving two sacks against Northwestern, will supersede his production. Former four-star recruit at defensive end Aidan Hutchinson will play a bigger role and Josh Uche, who led the team with seven sacks, is a menace at pass rush.

At the Viper position, Khaleke Hudson will assume a leadership role in the defense, as he did during the Peach Bowl, and be more of a playmaker in Devin Bush’s absence. Cameron McGrone was a five-star recruit who will see a much bigger role as a redshirt freshman. Unanimous first-team All-Big Ten selection Lavert Hill returns at corner. The secondary will see a lot more speed in order to match up better with Ohio State thanks to Daxton Hill. He’s ranked as the nation’s top recruited safety and runs a 4.30. Ohio State, by the way, will miss Heisman finalist quarterback Dwayne Haskins to the NFL draft and coach Urban Meyer.

Long Shot: Michigan State +20000

Michigan State’s defense was arguably the nation’s best. It ranked sixth in opposing scoring even though the offense was abysmal. The bulk of that elite defense will return, most notably tackle Raequan Williams, who is an important piece of MSU’s top-ranked run defense.

The problem is the offense. Michigan State is so disrespected by oddsmakers because its offense cost them numerous games. MSU’s offense suffered an incredible amount of injuries at every position. Quarterback Brian Lewerke dealt with an injured shoulder for much of the year, top receiver Felton Davis tore his achilles, and numerous other receivers and offensive linemen went down. With greater health, Michigan State can fulfill previously high expectations. MSU last made the playoffs in 2015 and it does better as a team when nobody expects them to.

I love betting futures.

I had 2 of the final 4 teams.

I lost my investment.

It is so tough to play these for the next few years.

Unless you are counting on Trevor getting hurt, Clemson is already in the playoffs next year. They can even suffer a loss, they are there. Alabama will also be right there as well unless they lose to the wrong team in the West.

So, you are left looking for one of these final two teams. There will be plenty of value but are you going to be able to make money off if it? That is for you to decide.

Even though the B1G gets shut out of the playoffs I will look at one team there once they gain some value and that is Nebraska. They should be right there for the west and will have a solid chance vs OSU/UM in Indy, imo. I won't touch the Pac 12 till Urban's 2nd year at USC. I won't touch Notre Dame because they will not get the benefit of the doubt next year and have a tough schedule. Oklahoma would be another I would look at but they won't have much value. You have to hope they lose early then grab a price on them and Texas will be very good as well (ISU not to be overlooked).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, looking at your bets...

I had Washington this past year at 33-1. I played it like 10 months ago at least. Even if they had just lost to Auburn it would have been tough to get a P12 team into it. The conference strength just is not there. Oregon isn't a team I am looking at due to their conference and the low opening price.

Michigan will have more value after losing a game in the B10. The schedule is a tad easier but there will be a white-out game and an odd ND game in October. The final game of the year presents a huge problem, obviously. If you want to bet them, wait and get a better number. They were at 25-1 before the Wisconsin game this season for instance.

Last year after Michigan State beat Wazzou in a Bowl Game they became the flavor of the week. Many people forget that Wazzou didn't have a full squad for that game. I saw tweets/articles all over the place last January of people betting them at 40-1. It was amusing, obviously. They had overachieved and got way to much credit for an exhibition bowl game that Wazzou didn't really care about. Now, the number you have at the top is quite impressive but here are the issues...

1. They are not deep
2. Their coaching is not great anymore (overall, this includes Mork)
3. They play at UM/OSU/Wisky/NW
4. It takes a top notch QB to win in this era. MSU doesn't have that among their three at all

Thanks for getting the discussion started. I think it is wasting money the next two years to be honest. I would look more at solid conference futures both off-season and during the season.

Cannot wait to hear them, honestly.

I am a believer in Lewerke. I think the criticism you gave him was overblown considering whatever shoulder issues he was dealing with, which will have time to heal. He‘s had one year as starter and I get that he overthrows some receivers and makes some boneheaded decidions but a huge increase in qb completion isn‘t unprecedented at all. Like Brady Quinn increased his 10% from his second to third year. Lewerke gets a lot of talent back at receiver, plus his threat as a runner. When healthy he has a nice arm to whizz those outs to the sideline and there‘s always been a lot of reasoned expectation and some glimpses of greatness for him to become a consistently accurate passer

Fields is an instant first or second all big ten selection next year. That team is gonna murder people with Day at the helm. Anyways ... Big ten talk another time.

Okay, let's say he plays just above 2017 level. Will they go 11-1?

I think Sparty would have beaten either Michigan or Ohio State if its offense had a pulse. OSU will take a step back without Haskins. Fields had lost his qb competition to Fromm? Plus no Urban. Sparty evidently capable of winning at UM.
Wisconsin, who is its qb, and Sparty‘s run D is its strength, and it has to do a lot to shore itself up defensively and NW and PSU lose quarterbacks who will also be hard to replace + Miles Sanders and PSU receivers were awful outside of Hamler.

If Mich at PSU is expected to be close don‘t forget Franklin‘s in-game stupidity should count as a few points for the opponent

Interesting trend that PSU and Mich seem to exchange blowouts every year, not sure why that would have to continue

I think Sparty would have beaten either Michigan or Ohio State if its offense had a pulse. OSU will take a step back without Haskins. Fields had lost his qb competition to Fromm? Plus no Urban. Sparty evidently capable of winning at UM.
Wisconsin, who is its qb, and Sparty‘s run D is its strength, and it has to do a lot to shore itself up defensively and NW and PSU lose quarterbacks who will also be hard to replace + Miles Sanders and PSU receivers were awful outside of Hamler.
NW has the #2 QB from a few classes ago, Hunter Johnson, transferred from Clemson. He will be an upgrade to Thorson.

I don't know the odds, but if you think Alabama misses the playoff and loses two games, then the West winner has to have pretty decent odds. I'm UGA's aren't great value, but LSU/AU/aTm/Miss St surely would be

I don't know the odds, but if you think Alabama misses the playoff and loses two games, then the West winner has to have pretty decent odds. I'm UGA's aren't great value, but LSU/AU/aTm/Miss St surely would be

Like I said i was told to argue that Bama would miss the playoffs!

I love betting futures.

I had 2 of the final 4 teams.

I lost my investment.

It is so tough to play these for the next few years.

Unless you are counting on Trevor getting hurt, Clemson is already in the playoffs next year. They can even suffer a loss, they are there. Alabama will also be right there as well unless they lose to the wrong team in the West.

So, you are left looking for one of these final two teams. There will be plenty of value but are you going to be able to make money off if it? That is for you to decide.

Even though the B1G gets shut out of the playoffs I will look at one team there once they gain some value and that is Nebraska. They should be right there for the west and will have a solid chance vs OSU/UM in Indy, imo. I won't touch the Pac 12 till Urban's 2nd year at USC. I won't touch Notre Dame because they will not get the benefit of the doubt next year and have a tough schedule. Oklahoma would be another I would look at but they won't have much value. You have to hope they lose early then grab a price on them and Texas will be very good as well (ISU not to be overlooked).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, looking at your bets...

I had Washington this past year at 33-1. I played it like 10 months ago at least. Even if they had just lost to Auburn it would have been tough to get a P12 team into it. The conference strength just is not there. Oregon isn't a team I am looking at due to their conference and the low opening price.

Michigan will have more value after losing a game in the B10. The schedule is a tad easier but there will be a white-out game and an odd ND game in October. The final game of the year presents a huge problem, obviously. If you want to bet them, wait and get a better number. They were at 25-1 before the Wisconsin game this season for instance.

Last year after Michigan State beat Wazzou in a Bowl Game they became the flavor of the week. Many people forget that Wazzou didn't have a full squad for that game. I saw tweets/articles all over the place last January of people betting them at 40-1. It was amusing, obviously. They had overachieved and got way to much credit for an exhibition bowl game that Wazzou didn't really care about. Now, the number you have at the top is quite impressive but here are the issues...

1. They are not deep
2. Their coaching is not great anymore (overall, this includes Mork)
3. They play at UM/OSU/Wisky/NW
4. It takes a top notch QB to win in this era. MSU doesn't have that among their three at all

Thanks for getting the discussion started. I think it is wasting money the next two years to be honest. I would look more at solid conference futures both off-season and during the season.
LOL

I see you BAWWWWWW

hahaha

Clemson has the title next year. No doubts.

Ross Higgins Etienne Lawrence Amari!

They won’t lose a game next year.

Best team in nation.

Bamas window has closed!

They have out recruited bama. But it’s anaxing that bama was able to reload year after year after losing so many nfl guys.
It’s tough to get back without rebuilding. They had unmatched depth.

I think Clemson though can win the next 2 national titles thus making their dynasty better than the bama dynasty.

The way Clemson plays and wins is a lot more attractive than the bama style of we are much bigger than you and we have a nfl defense to stop you.

Clemson plays sexy attractive football. They are like a good nfl team with individual stars.

Saban has his run and was the best recruiter for a 10 year period except for one class by Jimbo Fisher one class by urban meyer and one class by auburn.

Bamas run is over.

Clemson's schedule is literally a joke next year. There's no way they don't make it back to the playoffs

They have out recruited bama. But it’s anaxing that bama was able to reload year after year after losing so many nfl guys.
It’s tough to get back without rebuilding. They had unmatched depth.

I think Clemson though can win the next 2 national titles thus making their dynasty better than the bama dynasty.

The way Clemson plays and wins is a lot more attractive than the bama style of we are much bigger than you and we have a nfl defense to stop you.

Clemson plays sexy attractive football. They are like a good nfl team with individual stars.

Saban has his run and was the best recruiter for a 10 year period except for one class by Jimbo Fisher one class by urban meyer and one class by auburn.

Bamas run is over.

Nailed it.

Out recruited Alabama? That’s not accurate. They may win the next couple of championships, but it won’t be because of out recruiting Alabama. Clemson is about to find out how heavy the crown is. ACC doesn’t pose much of a challenge but Alabama isn’t going anywhere. Though I am glad Dabo is getting this experience because he’s gonna be better for it when he replaces Saban in a few years

Out recruited Alabama? That’s not accurate. They may win the next couple of championships, but it won’t be because of out recruiting Alabama. Clemson is about to find out how heavy the crown is. ACC doesn’t pose much of a challenge but Alabama isn’t going anywhere. Though I am glad Dabo is getting this experience because he’s gonna be better for it when he replaces Saban in a few years

He’s going to bama ?

I think saban has peaked.

Interesting that his first major loss with bama came with the team that was a passing first team.

This years team was a passing team but it’s defense wasn’t the strength of the team. It was the passing attack.

That was not how Saban likes it. He likes the defensive teams and run based offense

At this point it’s up to Saban when he’ll hang them up. And I’ve heard that he plans to be involved in the hire, which could be good or bad. I don’t see Franklin working out here. Our incoming class is allegedly our best class ever and definitely addresses the shortcomings we had this year. Offense will be as good or better most likely. Lose some key DL, but hopefully we’ll have a healthy Terrell Lewis and Chris Allen, as well as Trevon Diggs. All those freshman DBs that got toasted this postseason should be better.

I think saban has peaked.

Interesting that his first major loss with bama came with the team that was a passing first team.

This years team was a passing team but it’s defense wasn’t the strength of the team. It was the passing attack.

That was not how Saban likes it. He likes the defensive teams and run based offense
Peaked...no doubt. Hard to believe they haven’t fired him today already. Preach on.

Peaked...no doubt. Hard to believe they haven’t fired him today already. Preach on.

He’s too old now. How he had the energy for 10 straight seasons to put out a championship caliber steam every year I don’t know. This guys energy and motor is unmatched.
Eventually he will get tired and just burn out.

I think yesterday was that time. Because Lawrence has stymied Sabans chance at a title for the next 2 seasons. I don’t think 3 years from now Saban would have the evergy required.

Woukd bama do a 1 for 1 trade. Saban for dabo?

Yes they would.

Would Clemson make that trade?? No chance

He’s too old now. How he had the energy for 10 straight seasons to put out a championship caliber steam every year I don’t know. This guys energy and motor is unmatched.
Eventually he will get tired and just burn out.

I think yesterday was that time. Because Lawrence has stymied Sabans chance at a title for the next 2 seasons. I don’t think 3 years from now Saban would have the evergy required.

Woukd bama do a 1 for 1 trade. Saban for dabo?

Yes they would.

Would Clemson make that trade?? No chance
Saban = Fossil - agree.

He went a whole year since he’s won the title.

Saban = Fossil - agree.

He went a whole year since he’s won the title.

If argue that he recruits best. So he always has the best team. He shiujd win every year.

Let’s judge him by how his teams perform when they aren’t all first rounders in nfl.

By that measure he has failed tremendously. Nfl failure and last night was a disaster. He had no answers.

The real Goat woukd not allow that and would have a good game plan.

It was always about the players and never Saban. He doesent know when to go for it etc. He punted down 28. Enough said.

I'll go chalk, Clemson wins it all though I wouldn't bet them simply because it's so hard to win back 2 back. Bama did it a few years ago, but super teams like Miami USC couldn't.

I'd trade your BOLD long shot for Penn St. I think Michigan loses a couple games including to them in a white out. OSU of course would be fave but they may experience hiccups with all the changes but probably not. Fields is an unknown, you don't truly know until he's played. Nevertheless, they lose a lot including their Coach and QB and 3 important WRs. Sparty stuck in the 90s offensively, if they fired their OC, maybe. PSU is probably 2020 from seriously contending but they have a ton of young talent and they should get better as year progresses. Always have that Franklin factor but he did win B1G with 2 losses. They'll be better, bet on that.

It doesn't matter though, Clemson or Bama winning it unless a team like UGA or another SEC team come out big like LSU Auburn. I'd rather donate my $ to a charity then bet on these B1G teams.

If argue that he recruits best. So he always has the best team. He shiujd win every year.

Let’s judge him by how his teams perform when they aren’t all first rounders in nfl.

By that measure he has failed tremendously. Nfl failure and last night was a disaster. He had no answers.

The real Goat woukd not allow that and would have a good game plan.

It was always about the players and never Saban. He doesent know when to go for it etc. He punted down 28. Enough said.

Guy is a bum. You should start a Twitter account calling for his firing. There’s a market there bro.

Guy is a bum. You should start a Twitter account calling for his firing. There’s a market there bro.

He went to the nfl where the big boys coach.

Talent was equal on nfl.

He flames out—

Mostly all coaches in ncaa could win a national title if they coached bama.

Also I saw it through my eyelids while taking a nap that Saban looked worn out, deflated and even saw him seem defeated in the post game presser.

That, by my definition, may well qualify as 100% having peaked, it's something not seen before. I enjoy Sammy's outlandish takes that a lot of times prove not to be outlandish and agree with a few. This one is far from outlandish.

Clemson next two years unless there are riveting injuries will be a favorite, quite frankly it's possible that Nick feels the balance of power shifting to Death Valley at this point. Who knows?

No way I could bet futures next year unless it's a flier on a preseason 5th/6th ranked SEC team. No way there's any value in a top 10 team and it's likely to come from Clem/SEC/Big 12/Big 10 obv, no value.

Last edited:
Scarf, I would take Sammy to coach Bama over Saban. Dude has all the answers straight from his armchair. Wouldn‘t you?

Just because they are coaching it does not mean they are the best coaches.

There are plenty of coaches who are overlooked and don’t get the opportunity.

Saban is definitely good at perhaps getting a defense ready and yelling at players. His approach is old school. He is very risk adverse.

To me he is just another coach. I just don’t see any value he adds to a game. Yesterday was a perfect display of that.

Saban needs an extra talent advantage to build himself up and to win.

Saban is the Jon Jones of the ncaa. Jones needs drugs to compete. To me he is a non factor also.

No way any good coaches coach like a jack ass yesterday. Did James Franklin give the pep talk.
Saban became very worried about fatigue and killing the clock.

I look at things others don’t see and cannot see.

Bama had ball at Clemson 40 yard line with 520 left in first qtr. They scored a fgoal in the second qtr. they lost the game right there because Saban went super Franklin mode and Clemson said these guys are bitches get them off the field.

Clemson was throwing deep while bama was too busy running Tua on designed sweeps and fake fgoals
b

Back