Who was your biggest draft whiff?

D-Woww

Old Man Dan
Fun article about this on The Ringer where Danny Kelly interviewed scouts about this, thought it would translate to a fun thread. Who were you huge on who ended up being terrible. I was too young to know shit about the Leaf/Manning year, but knowing my personality, I bet I would have been one of those "leaf is better" jagholes

Galty always gets on me about my QB picks, I was huge on RG3 but I still blame injuries for his demise.

I was huge on Peter Warrick and Mike Williams

Thought Derek Carr was gonna suck

Loved Greg Robinson

Any of you guys remember Freddie Barnes from Bowling Green? I thought he was gonna be a stud!

Joey Blueskies. It wasn't the talent to me, it was his intangibles, or so I thought.

Andre Ware. Figured perfect fit for rum n shoot offense. But then again, I was ten. I didn't really know the game (prolly still don't).

Wow Mike Williams, what could possibly go wrong with a year off but getting paid by an agent?

So much is situational, like getting drafted by Cleveland for instance, it's an uphill battle from the word go. I do remember how excited Cardinals fans were when Denny Green ran to the mic to draft Matt Leinart who made for a great mentor in the desert to Kurt Warner.

KJ that is a great point and im a huge believer that environment is just big if not more big than a players skill-set

That is why I am such a big fan of Alex Smith: drafte to a terrible team, went through offensive coordinator after offensive coordinator, got the "bust" label...just the fact that he has turned competent is a miracle to me.

Joey Harrington, David Carr, Mark Sanchez, all of these guys who are "busts" could have had a different story had they gone somewhere stable and been properly coached.

I only give that pass to quarterbacks though, other positions I hold the person more accountable. Some guys just lack the drive or ability to learn or change

Every Bengals draft from 92-02. Klinger, Kijana. Akili, Warrick, and the one that hurt me the most Dan Wilkenson. In fairness there were some hits with Big Willie, Pickens, Chad, Takeo, etc buts it's an era known for the reaches and taking players they could have traded back for, still got and amassed picks.

Too many to name...

J Russell is the easy one ...

But Rickey Dudley was probably the next worse pick ever by the franchise.

Rolando McClain was also a disaster pick for the Raiders. My God.

I was high on Leaf as well, wasn't sold on Manning since he couldn't win the big one in college. Oops.

Mel Kiper after JaMarcus wa picked

. [h=5]"JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that Raider nation. That fanbase, that football team, on the practice field, in that locker room.[/h][h=5]"Three years from now you could be looking at a guy who's one of the elite, top five quarterbacks in this league."[/h]

[h=5]"The skill level he has is certainly John Elway like."[/h]

Every Bengals draft from 92-02. Klinger, Kijana. Akili, Warrick, and the one that hurt me the most Dan Wilkenson. In fairness there were some hits with Big Willie, Pickens, Chad, Takeo, etc buts it's an era known for the reaches and taking players they could have traded back for, still got and amassed picks.
How did Jeff Blake get to you guys so quick? Was that a one year deal with Jets, then gone?

We had fun back and Forth and him. And your Patrick Robinson lol.
LOL bro

i almost wrote in my P-Rob there, but didn't think anyone else would get it or know who he was hahaha

if I remember right JOB:

i dont care care how high he can jumbo or what he looks like with his shirt off.......dude can't cover

I still use that line for other picks hahaha.....I don't cite you though lol

Too many to name...

I really thought Jamarcus would be good.....he shot up the charts the year he came out.....insane he went 1

Mel Kiper after JaMarcus wa picked

The old Dickipedia favourite

Mel Kiper, Jr.
From Dickipedia - A Wiki of Dicks
Mel Kiper, Jr. (born July 25, 1960) is an ESPN analyst for the NFL draft, huge football nerd, and a dick. Since 1984, he has been a staple of ESPN's annual draft coverage, which begins in May and extends through the following April.

While ESPN has a storied history of launching the careers of irritating commentators, Kiper is surely in the upper echelon. His achievements include appearing at 24 consecutive drafts and somehow interrupting every single ESPN show ever to air. He is the most recognizable dick in conjunction with the NFL draft.

It is important to note that, in regards to football, Kiper does not have actual coaching or playing experience, and has been able to designate himself an expert simply by saying so, loudly, many times, without anyone questioning it. This is standard dick behavior.

Contents
1 Early life
2 The big board
3 Coach favorite
4 Proof of genius
5 Effect on fan culture
6 Hair

Early life
While attending Essex Community College in Baltimore, Kiper decided to become the kind of dick that runs an obnoxious business while they are in school. Thus, he founded Kiper Enterprises, a modestly named draft information company. While this business was less dickish than, say, stealing an idea for a future million dollar corporation and claiming the idea was your own, it is still more obnoxious than selling "Major League Beer Pong" T-shirts to freshmen.

The big board
One of Kiper's most memorable contributions to the NFL draft is the "big board," a large chart on which he analyzes the order in which players should be drafted based on incomprehensible, vaguely relevant statistics only Kiper understands (also known as “statis-dicks”). Prior to the big board’s appearance on internet, Kiper would physically attach players names to a large white board with dollops of excess hair gel.

Kiper was the first commentator to begin analyzing players in terms of their "draft stock." In his quest to maintain the attention of his loud obnoxious enthusiastic fanbase, Kiper invented a system whereby a player’s “stock” rises and falls based on a variety of factors in the months leading up to the draft. These pre-draft months make up the optimal time for analyzing performance because talent scouts can focus on players’ public and private workouts rather than being distracted by the athletes’ other, less predictive activities, such as playing in football games.

Coach favorite
Many coaches and administrators enjoy hearing suggestions from Kiper. One big fan was Indianapolis Colts manager Bill Tobin who praised Kiper saying, "Who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? I mean, here's a guy who criticizes everybody, whoever they take. In my knowledge of him, he's never even put on a jockstrap, he's never been a player, he's never been a coach, he's never been a scout, he's never been an administrator, and all of a sudden, he's an expert. Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets to the NFL."

Proof of genius
Though a dick, Mel Kiper is an infallible genius when it comes to scouting future NFL talent.

He once snidely remarked of the Colts, "That's why [they] keep picking number two every year," after their 1994 second overall selection. Kiper was widely critical of the Colts’ pick that year, Marshall Faulk, who turned out to be such a bust that he is expected to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in the near future.

In 2005, Kiper praised 8th overall selection, wide receiver Mike Williams, saying, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Many people have yet to fully recognize the abilities Kiper saw in Williams. These people include coaches, fans, analysts, referees, the players on the teams he played for and against, and anyone else who has seen him in a football jersey. Williams’ journey to the Hall of Fame suffered a slight detour in 2007 when he stopped playing football and no one wanted to sign him.

In 1999, he touted the potential of Oregon quarterback Akili Smith to exceed at the professional level. Fans have high hopes for Smith to have a great season this year and to make a big statement in his league.

In 1998, Kiper argued that Ryan Leaf, 2nd overall pick, had an attitude that would be an asset in the NFL. He has since become one of professional football's most notable quarterbacks.

In 2001, Kiper predicted a dismal 0-16 season for the New England Patriots. The team finished slightly better than that prediction, managing to win just one Super Bowl the entire season.

Effect on fan culture
Kiper's rapid and notable rise to prominence is directly proportional to the growth of the internet. While pre-internet, sports news consisted merely of the handful of things that could be covered on ESPN and the New York Post, the development of sports websites and the internet's growing popularity led to a heightened demand for constant sports updates, most of which were increasingly irrelevant and served less to advance the sport and entertain fans and more to simply fill up ESPN Insider with content. Kiper was integral in this shift towards totally unnecessary reporting.

Through nonstop comprehensive coverage via articles and elaborate lists and charts, Kiper has managed to make great contributions to the incredible surplus of unimportant sports information on the web. In doing so, he has created a culture of ultra-zealous football fans that, to an uncomfortable degree, track and follow every tidbit of this information. While this development has allowed some fans greater access to information about their favorite players and teams, it has distracted many others from certain basic human activities, such as art, hygiene, and knowing how to talk to people without annoying them.

Hair
While cultural anthropologists have yet to prove that one’s hair is capable of being a dick in and of itself, it is thought that Kiper’s hair will be the first to hold the honor.

Too many to name...

Vince Young? Although, it is mostly doen to Fisher

Vk bringing up bad memories...

Those post Gruden pre Reggie years were lean

Rickey Dudley should have been Gronk before gronk

Peteys USC squads provided a bunch of these too

Bust might be a big in too much but I thought Reggie Bush was going to be better than what leveon bell is right now

Vince Young? Although, it is mostly doen to Fisher

He won 62% of his career NFL starts and was 8-5 as a rookie. The only other QB that you could remotely say had a better NFL career in that draft is Jay Cutler and he is a few games under .500 now while playing for more talented teams than VY got to play for. What happened with VY is a lesson to all owners about drafting someone the coach doesn't want.

He won the AP Offensive Rookie Player of the year, the year he was drafted.

And as you mentioned, he did this while playing for J Fisher. Remember when Titans were 0-6 and he was trying to do everything he could to prevent VY from playing but the owner insisted? Then VY took that 0-6 team to the playoffs.

He played in two pro bowls, Alan. Who knows what happens for him had it not been for his injury issues and the fact that the coach hated him (a coach who happened to be a moron).

Was looking at the draft that year .... not a good year for quarterbacks.

He was so so skilled....people forget that

huge cannon......just awful how it turned out

set you guys back......you got a real one now tho

Fact is he just didn't give a shit. Was not willing to put in the time. His skills were legitimate, I remember in his second year he beat McNabb and the Eagles & looked great. People joke about calling players "Football guys" or " first guy at practice last guy out" but that is absolutely something I would take in the consideration if I were a scout. Some guys love the game & others are just naturally talented but dont love it. To those who don't it's just like a job

Curious to see how it plays out for Mahomes, he could be in the big leagues by now but just absolutely wanted to play football instead of baseball. I agree d-woww, that attitude would certainly make a difference when it comes to drafting.

Speaking of Reggie, I really did think LenDale White would do well in the NFL. Whiffff.

White just got into the league as the fullback was being faded out and certainly the lead runner fullback was being faded out. Just don't see 250 pound backs as the feature much anymore. I think he rushed for 1000plus just one year and it was a year when the defense had to account for a running QB who had just set the nfl qb rushing record the year prior .... oh wait, that was VY.

Fact is he just didn't give a shit. Was not willing to put in the time. His skills were legitimate, I remember in his second year he beat McNabb and the Eagles & looked great. People joke about calling players "Football guys" or " first guy at practice last guy out" but that is absolutely something I would take in the consideration if I were a scout. Some guys love the game & others are just naturally talented but dont love it. To those who don't it's just like a job
NFL everybody good

thats the deal

That's why I said not a bust but for his position and hype certainly a massive dissapointment
Massive how?

im looking at it from a saints fan......NFC championship 1st year and a SB later.....he was dynamic, just not an every down back, but most new that....Saints drafted him that high for the name as much a to play

You don't draft a change of pace back 2nd overall

That's horrific value

He never topped 600 yards rushing with the saints, averaged around 60 yard per game combined

Good NFL player, not a #1 RB and out of college he was the most hyped RB of the last 20 years

Basically anything shorter than shady or leveon, what they are now, was what people were expecting

Going 2nd overall confirms that

Shady and LeVeon are both incredible. I thought with the workload those two received in college that they would have good careers but much shorter ones.

LeVeon doing well to shorten his career by himself and already well ahead of the curve with that pain remedy...taking hits the right way

You don't draft a change of pace back 2nd overall

That's horrific value

He never topped 600 yards rushing with the saints, averaged around 60 yard per game combined

Good NFL player, not a #1 RB and out of college he was the most hyped RB of the last 20 years

Basically anything shorter than shady or leveon, what they are now, was what people were expecting

Going 2nd overall confirms that
Maybe I have a short memory, but I thought his size was always questioned
I agree the value at that spot should be higher, but it worked well for the Saints on a few levels

Mike Williams from USC....but the guy I thought would be the most dominant WR for years to come was Charles Rogers from MSU.

Shady and LeVeon are both incredible. I thought with the workload those two received in college that they would have good careers but much shorter ones.

I was wayyyy off on LeVeon, thought he was no good. In fairness, he is basically a different player.

Guys not only was Bush considered a good pick at the time, the Texans were laughed at and people were shocked that they didn't take him at 1. Gotta remember the mindset at the time. Nowadays I don't think a RB will every go number 1 bc people know now how much they are a dime a dozen.

Back