Who Needs A Win This Weekend to Be Bowl Eligible?

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
I want to say there was a thread on this somewhere?

- Who needs a win to get a bowl bid?
- Who needs a win to get a bowl bid and hasn't been to one in awhile?

Someone much less lazy than me can probably fill in the details here. Thanks in advance.

I want to say there was a thread on this somewhere?

- Who needs a win to get a bowl bid?
- Who needs a win to get a bowl bid and hasn't been to one in awhile?

Someone much less lazy than me can probably fill in the details here. Thanks in advance.

[/http://cappingthegame.com/forum/index.php?threads/division-and-conference-races-updated-11-24.146433/unread

TCU, Liberty, Michigan State, North Carolina, and Mississippi State are favored this week to win their games. Ohio has already qualified, giving the NCAA 73 teams for 78 positions. These 5 teams are all favorites and should make it. Liberty is 6-5, but has two wins against FCS teams. Only one counts.

I didn't think this was much of a factor until I saw Charlotte going crazy in the dressing room after qualifying for a bowl. That was a tremendous motivation for them

Of course that is the the first time in the history of the school.

Still not sure it means much to a big time school trying to qualify for a bowl they have no interest in and in fact may be embarrassed to be seen in

It only gets worse when 4 new Bowl Games are introduced next season. One of the new Bowl Games (I believe it is called the Los Angeles Bowl) will feature the MWC because they have been run out of the Las Vegas Bowl, which will feature the #2 Pac 12 team against a rotating schedule between SEC and Big 10 teams.

I didn't think this was much of a factor until I saw Charlotte going crazy in the dressing room after qualifying for a bowl. That was a tremendous motivation for them

Of course that is the the first time in the history of the school.

Isn't the scenario for Liberty on Saturday?

Liberty (-14) hosts New Mexico State on Saturday. In a rather odd situation, Liberty plays New Mexico State twice this season. They won the first game at New Mexico State 20-13.

Is it correct they will qualify for a bowl if they win this week?

Yes, from their game notes0

Liberty needs a win on Saturday to wrap up bowl eligibility during its first season as a fully bowl-eligible FBS member. A victory would give the Flames their first 7-win season since 2014.

Army is 5-6 @ Hawaii, then Navy. Army has played two FCS teams, needs 7 wins

Boston College 5-6 @ Pitt (BC off disappoinging game following their bye week, I normally look for strong effort in their next game, but Pitt of embarrassing shut out another angle I look to play on - so two play on angles up against each other this game for me)

Buffalo 6-5 vs BGSU (not all 6-6 MAC teams get in, Buffalo got shut out at 6-6 two years ago)

Colorado 5-6 at Utah (tall order)

Eastern Michigan 6-5 vs Kent State 5-6 - (6 wins may not be good enough for EMich)

Georgia Southern 6-5 vs Georgia State (6-6 may not be good enough)

Liberty 6-5 vs NMMSt (7 wins gets Liberty eligible)

Michigan State 5-6 vs Maryland

Mississippi State 5-6 vs Ole Miss

Nebraska 5-6 vs Iowa

North Carolina 5-6 at NCSt

Oregon State 5-6 at Oregon

TCU 5-6 vs WVU

Toledo 6-5 at Central Michigan (Toledo may need win to solidify elibility, CMich playing for West Division Title)

Troy 5-6 vs App State

ULM 5-6 at ULL

I think the strongest angle to look for when wanting to play on bowl eligibility are the teams that it means the most to, something they haven't had before or ones that have gotten left out before.

I don't know how many teams needed to win last week that lost. And last night Western Michigan needed to win to clinch their division. There is no silver bullet in relying on teams that "need to win". Just one piece of the overall puzzle.

North Carolina appears to be a very strong candidate.

They were just 5-18 combined the last 2 years compared to what they have done this year. UNC's 5-6 record is pretty strong considering all the close games they have lost. Howell's 31 TD passes are the most by a freshman in NCAA history (just passed Trevor Lawrence).

And they have lost to NCSt 3 straight years.

New sheriff in town, team needs to pay off this good season with a bowl reward and kick your rival for the first time in years while they are down.

Only problem the price is very high...9.5 is a lot...on the road. If you can swallow that. Maybe UNC plays tight or makes mistakes with the pressure upon them? Or do they rise to meet the challenge?

North Carolina appears to be a very strong candidate.

They were just 5-18 combined the last 2 years compared to what they have done this year. UNC's 5-6 record is pretty strong considering all the close games they have lost. Howell's 31 TD passes are the most by a freshman in NCAA history (just passed Trevor Lawrence).

And they have lost to NCSt 3 straight years.

New sheriff in town, team needs to pay off this good season with a bowl reward and kick your rival for the first time in years while they are down.

Only problem the price is very high...9.5 is a lot...on the road. If you can swallow that. Maybe UNC plays tight or makes mistakes with the pressure upon them? Or do they rise to meet the challenge?
With how depleted the Wolfpack are, 9.5 is completely doable.

You are probably right books, I'm just a little adverse to betting favorites, so anything over 6 is a lot of me to lay!

The one that gets me is Bama/AU. All the pressure is on Bama to keep the pace and impress. Little brother AU would love nothing more than to stick it to them and destroy any playoff chance that lingers. Already sprinkled this one with a 4.5 backer on the line.

CUSA has 8 eligible. They have 5 tie-ins. All 8 could make it or just 7. Charlotte (at ODU) and FIU (at Marshall) sit at 6-5. 7 wins would help them.

I think the strongest angle to look for when wanting to play on bowl eligibility are the teams that it means the most to, something they haven't had before or ones that have gotten left out before.

I don't know how many teams needed to win last week that lost. And last night Western Michigan needed to win to clinch their division. There is no silver bullet in relying on teams that "need to win". Just one piece of the overall puzzle.

And san jose state with that senior qb would of died to of gotten to a bowl, and then they went out and lost to unlv. Go figure. And all the mac teams are definitely losing with conference titles on line, toledo few weeks ago to niu too

And san jose state with that senior qb would of died to of gotten to a bowl, and then they went out and lost to unlv. Go figure. And all the mac teams are definitely losing with conference titles on line, toledo few weeks ago to niu too

I do love San Jose this week. Pun intended.

Actually this will be the 4th game over the last 2 years for them. The challenges of being FBS Independent. Liberty is 2-1. Avg margin of victory is 7.33

I’m embarrassed to say I had to look where the school was up. Jerry Fuckin Falwell is President?!

Wow

I’m embarrassed to say I had to look where the school was up. Jerry Fuckin Falwell is President?!

Wow

Familiar coach though right?

That is when Liberty’s O started working, once Freeze got out of the hospital bed and could actually be on the sideline he and Buckshot started to figure out the O together. No doubt about it, they will score more than 20 this time as last game they weren’t clicking yet. I would just worry that equal probability New Mex St is gonna score more too. Probably double last games output. They too have improved the O.

Was president. He's dead now although I still cannot hear his name without thinking of the movie about Larry Flynt and how Flynt called him Reverend Fartwell.

But just because the Reverend Fartwell has departed doesn't mean Liberty is short of hypocrites.

They hired disgraced coach Hugh Freeze who texted bible verses and claimed moral superiority over other schools while he was busy hiring hookers to talk dirty to him on his school phone.

And they hired the disgraced AD from Baylor who was so alert at Baylor he never heard about a single crime committed by the football team.

Last edited:
Back