Who do you want as your coach?

P-Unit

Beacon of Calmness
I'll start a new thread so as not to clutter the fired coaches thread. For those teams that are looking for new coaches, who do you want (be realistic)?

Vikes - I would love to have Jon Gruden come in here and make this offense humm, but I'm not sure that is realistic. I think O'Brien could be decent. Maybe even McDaniels. However, one guy nobody is mentioning for HC jobs is Mike Zimmer (DC for Bengals). That guy has done a terrific job and the players play hard for him. I think he would be a great hire. If we hire James Franklin I will cease to be a fan of the Purple.

I think McDaniels would be great in Detroit with the weapons they have. Not sure on Washington or Tampa. Washington probably needs an imaginitive offensive coach - maybe someone from the college ranks. Tampa has a good young defense. Another spot that could be good for Zimmer.

Who else you got?

Looks like it's Lovie in Tampa Bay

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">25m</small>

Former Bears HC Lovie Smith is considered the favorite for the Buccaneers HC job, based on multiple league sources.

Phew, cross him off the list. The annual NFL coaching carousel is really a bizarre phenomenon. Black Monday is becoming almost as exciting to Browns fans as draft day.

I'll say what I say every time this Browns job opens up, or should I say every year. I want Cowher or Gruden or Saban. I'll instead get the next schmuck.

I was never too crazy about Marty. One of my favorite Browns coaches, as I was born after Paul Brown got bounced by Modell, was the late Bud Carson. Probably just because he hung a 51-0 on Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh. Believe it was his debut.

What's the latest with Jimmy Haslam, tip? Haven't been keeping up lately.

He was front and center at the presser today, first time in a while. He has not been charged, but I don't think he's out of the woods either. Pilot/Flying J settled with several trucking companies out of court, but not all of them. And the FBI and IRS are in his hair, those guys don't swing and miss.

I was never too crazy about Marty. One of my favorite Browns coaches, as I was born after Paul Brown got bounced by Modell, was the late Bud Carson. Probably just because he hung a 51-0 on Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh. Believe it was his debut.
Well, I think Marty's the only Browns HC during my lifetime to have had a winning record, but anyways, why would you want Saban? Impressive resume, obviously, but the way he left Miami wouldn't make me too comfortable... Plus, it's not like Carroll who always wanted a second chance - I don't know that Saban really does, or really cares for that matter. He'd probably bolt the second things went south...

Well, I think Marty's the only Browns HC during my lifetime to have had a winning record, but anyways, why would you want Saban? Impressive resume, obviously, but the way he left Miami wouldn't make me too comfortable... Plus, it's not like Carroll who always wanted a second chance - I don't know that Saban really does, or really cares for that matter. He'd probably bolt the second things went south...

You're probably right, it's an old habit to pine for Saban. I get the chance every year or two and haven't gotten around to tightening up my dialogue.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jay Gruden at all. Mostly because it's about the least imaginative pick possible so it would fit.

My argument for Lovie would be the same as it was a year ago, please give me a few years of 8-8 where they threaten the playoffs. Some hope for fuck's sake. Not to mention Lovie coaches defense so we'd have that for a change. Although, in fairness, I liked this years DC hire, he just needs actual talent past Joe Haden.

Honestly, the amount of hope I have for the Browns finally getting this right is exactly none. At this point all I can do is hope to be wrong.

The problem with Saban is that its very unlikely he's going to both move to Cleveland and take a demotion

So how soon before we have openings in Oakland and Atlanta?

I think Gruden stays at MNF 1 more year

if Oakland doesn't make the playoffs they clean house and give him full control or if Atlanta doesn't go probably NFC title game they say Mike Smith is out of time

my guess is McDaniels for Cleveland

Lombardi has a hard on for all things Patriot/Bellicheck

Really hope not. Think all you guys overestimate Lombardi's power, Banner's the guy. I just don't like the potential combo Banner-Lombardi-McDaniel They might have canned a pretty good personnel guy in Heckert. Sure, he's a drunk, but I don't hold that against him.

Jeff Howe@jeffphowe<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">7m</small>
The Browns have asked the Patriots for permission to interview Josh McDaniels, according to a league source.

Next Browns coach is set up pretty well given a little rope and if they draft well, a huge if. But so would have been Chud.

lol, BAR. It's a race for the saps. Five or six or whatever will be hired. One will get it right.

I think Lions could get their pick

best team talent wise to jump in to

no excuse not to be in the playoffs next year

no excuse not to be in the playoffs next year
its too bad the front office always fucks it up, but they do have a ton of talent on paper that I think most coaches coming in feel they could do some damage with.

Adam Gase..biased tho, old roommate in college..kid is a football genius.

Since he's your old roommate from college, does this mean you will at least ask him about hiring a common sense coach? It has to start somewhere, and it's quite evident that basically every NFL team needs one.

I think Jay Gruden is going to get a hard look in wash....

dont tvink ink vikes go def coach this time so maybe bengals can escape with simmer another year

Agree here.

I also think McDaniels would be another station wagon in the car pile that is the Cleveland Browns coaching history. But what do I know.

Since he's your old roommate from college, does this mean you will at least ask him about hiring a common sense coach? It has to start somewhere, and it's quite evident that basically every NFL team needs one.

We don't talk much anymore. Obviously he is very busy answering papa bear hut huts every question. But I will next time.

I don't know who the Skins are considering but I'd love to see Charlie Strong get a crack somewhere. And I'd love that somewhere to be here. Guys I don't want:

Jay Gruden
Art Briles
Lovie Smith

I don't know who the Skins are considering but I'd love to see Charlie Strong get a crack somewhere. And I'd love that somewhere to be here. Guys I don't want:

Jay Gruden
Art Briles
Lovie Smith

I'm comfortable knowing Snyder will make the worst possible choice for the Skins,

Go Birds !!!

I think Jay Gruden is going to get a hard look in wash....

dont tvink ink vikes go def coach this time so maybe bengals can escape with simmer another year

IF we go defensive, Zimmer is the guy I want. Like you said though, I doubt we do.

A potential head-coaching candidate with prior NFL experience is reportedly on the Lions’ radar.
According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, the Lions “have interest” in Seahawks assistant head coach/offensive line coach Tom Cable for their head-coaching vacancy.

1 down

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">3m</small>
Filed to ESPN from me and @mortreport: Bill O'Brien has reached agreement to become the new head coach of the Houston Texans, per sources.

Probably Lovie in TB will be the 2nd one. Jon Gruden, Sumlin, and Shaw have all said they have no interest in any of the NFL jobs as well, so that list is getting smaller if you're looking for a HC.

well i sure as hell dont want tom cable....and i didnt want obrien either....so lovie but seems he is tied up with tampa. jim caldwell no thanks....seems like a weak class of candidates if u ask me.

jay gruden or lovie smith would be my picks at this point.

well i sure as hell dont want tom cable....and i didnt want obrien either....so lovie but seems he is tied up with tampa. jim caldwell no thanks....seems like a weak class of candidates if u ask me.

jay gruden or lovie smith would be my picks at this point.

Agree about Tom Cable for sure. Leave it to the Lions to make the worst possible decision though, so it wouldn't be surprising if they were to hire Cable. The Lions are another perfect example of the owner being the issue and preventing them from having the success they want so bad. It almost always starts at the top with bad teams and poor organizations.

If I am Detroit or Wash or anyone I want Jay Gruden

Do yall think he is mentally retarded or only has a job because his last name?

Someone gonna get lucky...

Back