Which baseball team do you follow the closest?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
G

Gyno

Please mention in the thread. Would like to have a correspondents thread where individuals post info on their perspective teams.

I will take the Dodgers.

I definitely encourage anyone to start a thread devoted to their team of choice though throughout the spring to help others...

I honestly will do what I can with the dumpster fire that is Detroit.

Me and @2daBank are Cardinals fans

I'm a fan but not one those delusional types!! If/when they get into playoffs my rational thinking gets thrown out but regular season I'm more than willing to fade cards/be honest about them. I really can't stand homers who not willing to honestly asses their squad, you know the ones who apparently think being a fan means you can't say a cross word about said team!! Imo that is total bs!

being a cards fan (much like Yankees, red sox, ect) you gotta be willing to fade your team as being popular as they are quite often we see inflated lines on them. Most years I do pretty well playing on, against, and totals with them. Last year was my worst in recent memory as they were a serious pain in the ass to get a handle on for me anyways., hopefully that was just a outlier and I can get back to making money with them!!

Think they making a pretty big mistake going into the season trusting waino. I guess fact we on hook for 18mil or whatever it is he making this year has something to do with it. Plus matheny has a tendency to trust vets for way too long even when obvious they not same player any longer. Really hope he learning but his MO has always been a incredibly short leash with young guys and way too long a leash with washed up vets. Maybe waino can reinvent himself ala what CC did with Yankees last few years and learn to pitch with diminished stuff. Signs were not good last year before finally shutting him down which took way to long, was sad watching them continue to trot him out there when he was only hitting mid 80s with his fastball and his curve just not having the bite it used to. This been ongoing for last several years as well, his numbers are awful but they continue to treat him like the waino of old. We will see shortly but I'm sure if/when he struggles in spring training they will chalk it up as rust and still continue sending him out every 5th day in the early going anyways., I really hope I'm wrong and he does figure it out, just being a realist I have serious doubts tho.

Totally agree about the homer business.

The home/away splits have been deathly for me to figure out. Three years ago they were solid at home but then two years ago they kept losing at home. Last year I made a lot fading then live with a big lead. The bullpen issues became ridiculous and the inactivity of the front office is approaching them grew absurd. Siegrist and others were underperforming. Cards are playoff-caliber if they can hold a lead and pennant-caliber if they can get some consistent big hitters in the middle of the lineup. You can only rely on Grichuk so much, Diaz has struggled a lot at times. I‘m talking classic days with in-form Trevor Scott and Jim

Agree about Matheny he‘s pissed me off a lot. He trusted Trevor way to long when he had that cold streak and he‘d keep putting him into a game with big leads altho his era sucked with big leads I remember he almost blew like a 6 run lead vs Zona this was two summers ago

Only a Cards fan since two years ago my great friend here got me into it (altho he doesn‘t like me back löl same with the friend who got me into Sparty, maybe there‘s some psychology to this lol) and didn‘t really follow baseball before so yea go Cards

Being a fan and betting real money is a bad combo

There's the Mayor's report just up front

Being a fan and betting real money is a bad combo

There's the Mayor's report just up front

I've never had a problem fading my squads so I actually prefer/normally do pretty well on and against my teams. Once you come to grips with fact every team loses at least 60 games and pretty much every team gonna win that many it becomes pretty easy. Like I said once playoffs come it a different story but regular season I don't really have any emotion about it. I'd be doing myself a disservice not betting on or against my teams cause I just know them best. What I tend to struggle with somewhat is teams after they face cards for some reason? Don't quite understand why but for some reason after I see a team play a series vs us I have tendency to take away some kind of screwed up misconceptions, lol.

Totally agree about the homer business.

The home/away splits have been deathly for me to figure out. Three years ago they were solid at home but then two years ago they kept losing at home. Last year I made a lot fading then live with a big lead. The bullpen issues became ridiculous and the inactivity of the front office is approaching them grew absurd. Siegrist and others were underperforming. Cards are playoff-caliber if they can hold a lead and pennant-caliber if they can get some consistent big hitters in the middle of the lineup. You can only rely on Grichuk so much, Diaz has struggled a lot at times. I‘m talking classic days with in-form Trevor Scott and Jim

Agree about Matheny he‘s pissed me off a lot. He trusted Trevor way to long when he had that cold streak and he‘d keep putting him into a game with big leads altho his era sucked with big leads I remember he almost blew like a 6 run lead vs Zona this was two summers ago

Only a Cards fan since two years ago my great friend here got me into it (altho he doesn‘t like me back löl same with the friend who got me into Sparty, maybe there‘s some psychology to this lol) and didn‘t really follow baseball before so yea go Cards

Really hoping new pitching coach will have matheny's ear and help with bullpen decisions which always been a incredibly weak spot in his managing.

I like fading my teams

I hate betting on them

Long as you not doing so out of emotion nothing wrong with that. I know several guys who total opposite of the homer approach and get so frustrated with their team they tend to not see any of the potential good. That can be just as bad as betting on your team cause of fandom.

Well it's easy for me to separate emotion from betting

Can't say that for some round here but getting emotional won't just kill you in wagering with money, it will do damage plenty other places

Keep emotion out

Well it's easy for me to separate emotion from betting

Can't say that for some round here but getting emotional won't just kill you in wagering with money, it will do damage plenty other places

Keep emotion out

Double like

I recommend Seneca and other Ancient Stoic philosophers for those with difficulties

I was sympthetic to AZ until I found out that Greinke is a total douchebag. When he refused to sign that autograph for another player‘s kid

I was sympthetic to AZ until I found out that Greinke is a total douchebag. When he refused to sign that autograph for another player‘s kid
He's completely socially anxiety. That's who he is. He'll never thrive in a large market but to hold that against him is nuts. He can't even hold an interview.

Yes, many friends work for the org

Although that was after 2001...was at game 7. Will be no better sports moment in my life

No doubt, I'm sure that was awesome! Think favorite one I been to live was game 7 nlcs against Stros. Rolan hit a jack off Clemons in 6th or 7th inning to take lead. Didn't bother with WS that year cause think we all knew Red Sox were gonna blast us, we really weren't a ws team that season which made it even sweeter getting that far.,

I went to World Series clincher in 06 I think it was vs tigers but again outcome of that series was never really in doubt, we knew they were beating tigers, was just cool being at one where they won it all!! Wish I went to the one vs rangers, game 6 was just incredible!!. I was downtown but wasn't willing to fork over the cash that year, lol.,

For anyone to understand that 2001 season, it's nuts. Obviously 9/11 and delayed postseason...and Yanks. The back n forth....3 games won in the 9th by NYY in New York. Ugh. Then Unit coming out and Rivera with the lead in game 7....and RAIN late in the game in a stadium with a retractable roof. It was f'n November....lads, gonna be tough to beat that one. Grace is the hero but Tony Womack will always live in infamy....not just the hit in the 9th but also nutted up agains the Cards in game 5

Been fortunate, was at games 7 in 2001 and 2014

Both involved Hall of Famers pitching out of the bullpen

He's completely socially anxiety. That's who he is. He'll never thrive in a large market but to hold that against him is nuts. He can't even hold an interview.

Used to be he had a horrible time with it back in his early years with Milwaukee. Seems like they got it sorted out a great deal cause if I remember correctly he was terrible on road or at home (forget which, lol)., I was always saying they needed to get his ass some Zanax! Lol

Lol this time next week I might have a script for Xanax

Anxiety is a motherfucker and I do well with people in general

For anyone to understand that 2001 season, it's nuts. Obviously 9/11 and delayed postseason...and Yanks. The back n forth....3 games won in the 9th by NYY in New York. Ugh. Then Unit coming out and Rivera with the lead in game 7....and RAIN late in the game in a stadium with a retractable roof. It was f'n November....lads, gonna be tough to beat that one. Grace is the hero but Tony Womack will always live in infamy....not just the hit in the 9th but also nutted up agains the Cards in game 5

I was happy dbags won, big time yankee hater here! Lol. That was a incredible series!

Interesting thing (sucks) about ST...tickets and venue are controlled by the city/county (or reservation) instead of the team. MLB and affiliates have no discourse.

Lifetime Mets fan here. Gotta love Dom Smith sleeping in for first ST game. :thumbsdown8:

Glad Callaway practiced what he is preaching about accountability right off the bat and benched him. Of course it was a no brainer with his history of being a bit lax in training and timeliness, I just hope the response would have been the same if it were a vet.

Hard to predict this season as it is so predicated on health....I guess almost all teams can say the same really. Healthy Synd, Degrom, and at least one of Wheeler/Matz/Harvey getting some mojo from Callaway could make us a tough out most nights. On the other side the health of Cespedes (supposedly cut down on power lifting for some yoga and flexibility this offseason) and really not sure what to expect from Conforto, crazy injury last year as he was coming in to his own.

That's great for Cespedes, flexibility way more important than power lifting for long term sustainability. That's a tough move to make for a power hitter.

That's great for Cespedes, flexibility way more important than power lifting for long term sustainability. That's a tough move to make for a power hitter.

Yeah, we'll see KJ. This is the time of "Best shape of his life" etc. around the league.

Oakland Athletics. I chose them as a kid because I was already a Raiders fan. Should win about 73 this year.

I was all excited to see what cards had in this Mikolas character who apparently refined himself over in Japan. Certainly don't want to overreact to a pitchers 1st spring training outing but ugh, could have done without seeing Astros shell him! Lol

Lifetime Mets fan here. Gotta love Dom Smith sleeping in for first ST game. :thumbsdown8:

Glad Callaway practiced what he is preaching about accountability right off the bat and benched him. Of course it was a no brainer with his history of being a bit lax in training and timeliness, I just hope the response would have been the same if it were a vet.

Hard to predict this season as it is so predicated on health....I guess almost all teams can say the same really. Healthy Synd, Degrom, and at least one of Wheeler/Matz/Harvey getting some mojo from Callaway could make us a tough out most nights. On the other side the health of Cespedes (supposedly cut down on power lifting for some yoga and flexibility this offseason) and really not sure what to expect from Conforto, crazy injury last year as he was coming in to his own.

Glad to see ya over here buddy!! Been a minute, Hope all is well?

Mets definitely tough team to figure. As you mentioned if healthy they certainly have the starting pitching to win a lot of games.

Glad to see ya over here buddy!! Been a minute, Hope all is well?

Mets definitely tough team to figure. As you mentioned if healthy they certainly have the starting pitching to win a lot of games.

My man Banksie. This site is gold bro, so much quality and so little BS.

Your back field squad put a beating on us yesterday. One of the things I took away from Cards perspective is they seemed to be putting some emphasis on pitching inside. Not sure if it was rust and poor pitch placement or Maddux preaching importance of getting some plate back in this day and age where everyone so comfortable at plate and swinging from their heals.

On another note your ole friend Duncan working with the Whitesox plethora of young arms as a consultant. I like.

Last edited:
My man Banksie. This site is gold bro, so much quality and so little BS.

I hear ya, that why I've been mostly posting over here. All the trolling drama at sbr has gotten way out of hand, bunch of good dudes I like discussing hoops with over there but just not worth it with the morons constantly running their mouths with disrespectful gibberish. I can only take so much of that garbage from some sorry pussies who wouldn't dare speak like that if we were face to face!! What i would give to run into one those sorry clowns on the street!! Lol.,

Your back field squad put a beating on us yesterday. One of the things I took away from Cards perspective is they seemed to be putting some emphasis on pitching inside. Not sure if it was rust and poor pitch placement or Maddux preaching importance of getting some plate back in this day and age where everyone so comfortable at plate and swinging from their heals.

very excited to have Maddox on board, biggest thing is I believe he has matheny's ear and can hopefully have us avoiding all the terrible bullpen decisions matheny has become famous for!! Lol

On another note your ole friend Duncan working with the Whitesox plethora of young arms as a consultant. I like.

Oh wow I didn't know that Duncan was working with them. Can't do anything but benefit those youngsters, he very good at what he does. They prob all have increased ground ball rates!!

Was hoping we could start a correspondents thread where each one of us posts info on the team we follow the most. I am willing to post my dodger stuff.
With all the talent here at CTG and amount of baseball bettors I think it could be great.

I would love to hear B.A.R's thoughts on the Tigers and Lefty's Rangers thoughts. Those are a couple of teams I don't have a big feel with now.

I will start the threads hopefully there is participation. Could be huge.

I tried to do this for the Rockies last year, but they were crushing me and 162 days is insane.

Will try to pick a new team this year (or COL again)

I tried to do this for the Rockies last year, but they were crushing me and 162 days is insane.

Will try to pick a new team this year (or COL again)

I never play thru the entire season. Normally I start smallish 1st month then feel great may and June. Never had lot of success coming out of all-star break so don't play much, then by August I feel like not nearly amount of games offering the value we see early before oddsmakers have real handle on all the teams. I'm sure others have far different experiences/approach/ ways of looking at things it's just what I've found to be consistently true for myself. Last season I did pick it back up in August and had success focusing on mostly totals (normally play a mix of both during my main may/June run).

Looks like trend of 3 true outcomes will continue to grow this year---BB/K/HR---Defense becoming "less" important....D opportunities down like 20% across field except for the corner IF positions. Teams starting to think more offense in traditional up the middle Defensive spots as less chance to get hurt. Also, teams looking to diversify players in terms of being able to cover more positions so they can carry an extra 1 or even 2 relievers. Next step in evolution will be (except above average starters) pitching by committee. If starter can get through lineup twice will be looked at as a Quality start, otherwise mix and match with extra bodies in pen carrying the load for 4+ innings.

See the Rays. They were at the vanguard with shifts and are taking some interesting approaches this year.

Last edited:
I never play thru the entire season. Normally I start smallish 1st month then feel great may and June. Never had lot of success coming out of all-star break so don't play much, then by August I feel like not nearly amount of games offering the value we see early before oddsmakers have real handle on all the teams. I'm sure others have far different experiences/approach/ ways of looking at things it's just what I've found to be consistently true for myself. Last season I did pick it back up in August and had success focusing on mostly totals (normally play a mix of both during my main may/June run).

lines may be sharper later, but you're still fighting the market and they don't just miraculously get everything right because the calendar switches to August.

I had a terrible start and got a ton back thanks to the Diamondbacks run to close the year, so i don't agree with that notion at all. There's money to be made anywhere if you've got a good hunch

Looks like trend of 3 true outcomes will continue to grow this year---BB/K/HR---Defense becoming "less" important....D opportunities down like 20% across field except for the corner IF positions. Teams starting to think more offense in traditional up the middle Defensive spots as less chance to get hurt. Also, teams looking to diversify players in terms of being able to cover more positions so they can carry an extra 1 or even 2 relievers. Next step in evolution will be (except above average starters) pitching by committee. If starter can get through lineup twice will be looked at as a Quality start, otherwise mix and match with extra bodies in pen carrying the load for 4+ innings.

Yes to a bunch of this, but also good defense will be at a premium thus flipping the scales a bit

I agree Gwarner. That’s why I put less in quotes. It doesn’t mean a good D isn’t an advantage. Just may be a little less than years gone by.

Back