Where Do The Raiders Go From Here?

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
Feel really bad for a rabidly loyal fan base that has been suffering for a while.
Carr is fulfilling the dreams his brother couldnt( through more outside fault than his, or 50/50 at worst)....
This team could've been interesting in the playoffs(probably a few years from the big one, but on the right path!)

So a MVP candidate is likely done for the year....Raiders D is opportunistic and has a couple real good players on that's side of the ball, but can we get a line where they may cover in the playoffs? I see they won yesterday, but I don't know when the injury occurred, etc.

Teams record is not indicative of their team imo. They are good but not 12-3 good. They won a lot of close games with late comebacks, led by the guy who just went down.

I haven't gotten the latest news but I know that whether he can come back depends on the severity of the injury/break. Woodson came back in a few weeks with a broken fibula and he played safety. So it is possible (I haven't seen latest updates so sorry if this is ill informed discussion).

They can find a way to win the divisional round without him but they aren't beating the Pats without him.

They went to +2500 to win a ring so vegas washed their hands of them. I was quietly rooting for them.

Sucks to see him and Mariota go down the same day. I'm not a fan of either team but was very interested in seeing both in the playoffs this season and likely would have pulled for them as I'm a fan of both QBs.

AFC playoffs just got a lot less interesting to me.

No secret there is a special brand of hatred between the AFC West foes that goes back to the old AFL.

With that said it opens the door for KC to get a bye if they take care of business. And I think the Broncos are too proud of a team to lay down next week with nothing potentially on the line.

Also, regardless of rivalry. It's awful. Carr is a great player and by all accounts a great human being. We have all gone through bad runs but the Oakland team and fans deserved better than this.

Lastly, wife and I made the 1500 mile trek and are here in KC for Christmas and tonight's game. So bless David Carr today and fuck the Broncos

Teams record is not indicative of their team imo. They are good but not 12-3 good. They won a lot of close games with late comebacks, led by the guy who just went down.

I haven't gotten the latest news but I know that whether he can come back depends on the severity of the injury/break. Woodson came back in a few weeks with a broken fibula and he played safety. So it is possible (I haven't seen latest updates so sorry if this is ill informed discussion).

They can find a way to win the divisional round without him but they aren't beating the Pats without him.

Yes, but Charles Woodson may actually be God

From Pittsburgh, but Raiders have always been my second favorite team. Really sucks for him but is part of the game. Hope the Steelers get one more ring with Ben this year and Carr comes back better and more experienced next year.

The bad news is Carr is hurt and his season is most likely done. The good news is they have time to groom McGloin.

But let's not act like McGloin is anything special. He's started a few games over the years and is 1-5. Like I said in the other thread Carr masks the defensive deficiencies. And it's not like the Raiders have been blowing people out. We've squeaked by the majority of our wins with 7 Derek Carr comebacks in the fourth quarter. Can McGloin lead the team back in the 4Q like Carr did? The odds are against it.

Time to rally around McGloin like the Rams did back in the day with Kurt Warner. The first goal is later today with the Broncos. If they can win, we secure a first round bye I believe and not only will we get a home game, the best part is we won't have to travel on the road. McGloin on the road is a scary thought. Playing at home will be more comfortable for him.

The running game has to pick it up, and we saw that yesterday. DeAndre Washington showed what he can do with the short passing game and if he can get in space. Murray and Jalen Richard gotta run well too. Defense gotta do what they did yesterday and create turnovers. Khalil gotta be the play maker he's been down the stretch. Janikowski has to make his fgs. EVERYTHING has to be perfect for them to win.

Sucks to see him and Mariota go down the same day. I'm not a fan of either team but was very interested in seeing both in the playoffs this season and likely would have pulled for them as I'm a fan of both QBs.

AFC playoffs just got a lot less interesting to me.

feel like we got screwed out of a possibly entertaining playoffs with TEN getting in over HOU and a healthy Carr

Backup for Raiders is capable. They have time to prep him for playoffs

i agree with this as i seem to remember him being serviceable, but everyone in the analytics community hated this OAK team and thought they were playing above their pay grade so that ship will be coming back to earth really soon if Mack doesn't double his production or something silly like that

The bad news is Carr is hurt and his season is most likely done. The good news is they have time to groom McGloin.

But let's not act like McGloin is anything special. He's started a few games over the years and is 1-5. Like I said in the other thread Carr masks the defensive deficiencies. And it's not like the Raiders have been blowing people out. We've squeaked by the majority of our wins with 7 Derek Carr comebacks in the fourth quarter. Can McGloin lead the team back in the 4Q like Carr did? The odds are against it.

Time to rally around McGloin like the Rams did back in the day with Kurt Warner. The first goal is later today with the Broncos. If they can win, we secure a first round bye I believe and not only will we get a home game, the best part is we won't have to travel on the road. McGloin on the road is a scary thought. Playing at home will be more comfortable for him.

The running game has to pick it up, and we saw that yesterday. DeAndre Washington showed what he can do with the short passing game and if he can get in space. Murray and Jalen Richard gotta run well too. Defense gotta do what they did yesterday and create turnovers. Khalil gotta be the play maker he's been down the stretch. Janikowski has to make his fgs. EVERYTHING has to be perfect for them to win.

Washington looked great yesterday, but gonna be a lot tougher against defenses even more designed to stop the run as they were initially making Carr beat them and I think that'll only get worse with McGloin. I also wonder how comfortable McGloin will be at home vs the road because he hasn't played any competitive snaps in either location until yesterday when they had a huge lead and won't get that next week because of potential clinches

Definitely Gwarner. Defenses should, and will stack the box against McGloin and force him to beat them.

defense isn't as sub par as the headlines say, they were incorporating a ton of new guys early this year and were horrrific the first month

but for the past 10 weeks its been a top 10 unit

Oakland became the first team in 49 years to allow at least 500 yards in each of the first two games of a season and was on a record pace for yards per play allowed at 6.9 through six games.
But the defense has tightened since then, allowing only 5.4 yards per play the past eight games and ranking seventh overall in total defense.

plus they have the biggest defensive weapon in the playoffs in Khalil

the Carr injury ruined 2016, anyone saying he shouldnt have been in the game or anything is second guessing for no reason

there was a whole 4th quarter for Luck to put up 3 scores, he got 2 and could have got the 3rd if not for the Amari catch to end the game

team was ahead of schedule though, most raider fans thought 9/10 wins was more likely and a WC spot in reach, basically playing meaningful games in to December, that they had this many wins was great

the bright side is the injury will heal 100% and this should be the worst team they have for the next 5 years, they have no cap issues, the core is all young, and the front office has shown they know what they are doing

Three game win streak, with potentially 0 or 1 of them being a true road game to win a title doesn't come around often though Teeed. This team could conceivably be better next year but end up 9-7 or 10-6 rather than this seasons result and not even make the playoffs. You only have so many special years in this league unless you are the Patriots. This was one of them ..ironically, the year we lost gannon to the cheapshot by the ravens in the playoffs was another.

Only sack that lineman gave up all year.... only one.

Three game win streak, with potentially 0 or 1 of them being a true road game to win a title doesn't come around often though Teeed. This team could conceivably be better next year but end up 9-7 or 10-6 rather than this seasons result and not even make the playoffs. You only have so many special years in this league unless you are the Patriots. This was one of them ..ironically, the year we lost gannon to the cheapshot by the ravens in the playoffs was another.

Donald Penn feels bad too. I can't blame him though. First sack he's given up all season. Pro bowler too. Just some bad luck.

defense isn't as sub par as the headlines say, they were incorporating a ton of new guys early this year and were horrrific the first month

but for the past 10 weeks its been a top 10 unit

plus they have the biggest defensive weapon in the playoffs in Khalil
That's what I kind of alluded to in my post on the defense...Mack is a top 3 D kinda guy and the D is opportunistic and makes plays at the right time.....remind me of the Saints D in 2009, as far as right place/time etc..

yeah, I hate this. I like Carr and was looking forward to what they could do in the playoffs.

Please , no Pats.

Ya I dont think I was clear mwhen I say it ruined 2016 I mean the year not just this Raiders season

I have to admit .. the Patriots thing is kind of played out for me at this point. I don't want another Pats super bowl game not out of hatred but just because I am sick of watching the same style of football in the super bowl again and the same cast of characters. Were it my team, of course.

I did cheer for the Pats against the Seahawks a couple years ago because I despise Pete Carroll and i have to admit that I loved it when Pete/OC cost them the game with the pass at the end.

I have gone from "raiders" to "anyone in the afc but the pats"

now as Raider fans are you rooting for the division knowing that you're not likely to win this year and you'll have the division winners schedule in the AFC next year so you want to get in and hope McGloin can surprise and win a game or games? Or do you root for the WC and the 2nd place schedule next year when Carr returns?

now as Raider fans are you rooting for the division knowing that you're not likely to win this year and you'll have the division winners schedule in the AFC next year so you want to get in and hope McGloin can surprise and win a game or games? Or do you root for the WC and the 2nd place schedule next year when Carr returns?
We've waited so long for the playoffs (13 years), and anything can happen. So I'm rooting for the division. Things like this don't come around too often and you need to seize the moment, although it will be very tough with McGloin. You never know, anything can happen.

What Cogen said. Get division .. first game is at home ... Can win that ... if Pats get upset in first game, then we get second game at home ... know we can beat a division rival in KC with McGloin, Texans we are better than even if I was QB, Dolphins I think we are still better than if we have McGloin and they have their own backup playing even if he isn't a major dropoff from Tannehill .. so then the only team I think we match up horribly against would be the Steelers in the scenario where the Pats are upset by someone.... but as cogen said .. anything can happen but I admit I would be beyond shocked if McGloin went into Foxboro and beat Touchdown Tom.

I am keeping hope .... and outside of Dallas, not sure there isn't anyone we wouldn't have a shot against in the super bowl either (or lose to for that matter).

I know this .. ... team likes to win now. They are not gonna give up. Supporting cast to Carr was good and getting better as the season went. Coaches are confident and aggressive so I don't think we play super conservative with McGloin in there either. As I recall, he looked decent in the preseason in our offense too.

Maybe I am reaching but I will take my chances with the tough schedule next year for the outside shot of the miracle. We are not winning three road games with McGloin at QB to get to the super bowl so losing the division would mean we are basically knocked out before the playoffs start and that would just be beyond disappointing after what these guys have done and the joy they have brought your average raider fan.

So I am definitely with Cogen on this.

making the playoffs seems like a successful season that will not see any hanging of heads, especially with Carr's injury, but i understand the disappointment

Still drying off from the game last night. It was my 3rd time but if you have never gone to Arrowhead for a game put that on your bucket list.

Here in KC talk radio would have you believe KC will be the 2 but that Denver team is toast. KC's offense put almost 500 yards on them and McGloin is no slouch. I think the Raiders win next week after what I saw last night and we are off to Houston again for another one.

Still drying off from the game last night. It was my 3rd time but if you have never gone to Arrowhead for a game put that on your bucket list.

Here in KC talk radio would have you believe KC will be the 2 but that Denver team is toast. KC's offense put almost 500 yards on them and McGloin is no slouch. I think the Raiders win next week after what I saw last night and we are off to Houston again for another one.

I want to go to Arrowhead just to tailgate. They always do those aerial shots on TV with the plumes of bbq smoke wafting around the stadium.

I want to go to Arrowhead just to tailgate. They always do those aerial shots on TV with the plumes of bbq smoke wafting around the stadium.

It's one of the highlights of the experience. You can smell it before you even enter the lot. And you can come empty handed and the locals will take you right in and feed you like a king. Living in the northeast where people are a little standoffish, it's always a pleasure to come out here.

If you ever do make the trek send me a message. I'll give you the out of towner's guide to the experience.

laying down doesn't seem to be in the DEN DNA, but they have so many backups in i'm not sure that's relevant

laying down doesn't seem to be in the DEN DNA, but they have so many backups in i'm not sure that's relevant

yeah im not so sure it would be "laying down" as much as they just don't have a lot of healthy talent right now. Also would not surprise me if they decide to give Lynch a game to see if he shows any improvements.

ya I didnt mean lay down and throw it

but play Lynch, not give 100% etc, guys with minor injuries that would normally play rest a bit more

like a team in a shit bowl game that just missed out, i.e Colorado and not being in the Rose

That's what I kind of alluded to in my post on the defense...Mack is a top 3 D kinda guy and the D is opportunistic and makes plays at the right time.....remind me of the Saints D in 2009, as far as right place/time etc..

The Colts team with Peyton, that beat the Bears (2006?) - is another "right place/right time" defense that comes to mind. If my memory serves me correctly, they had given up 200+ yards on the ground in a couple games that year. Bob Sanders was the key element there.

This game with the broncos is actually a good game to get McGloin ready. It's a game that if you lose, you're still going to the playoffs. So he can play loose and not all tense. But there's also a lot on the line regarding seeding. We can get a 1 or 2 seed and have a first round bye. Or drop to a 5 seed and have to travel on the road in the first round. A lot at stake. I'm glad he's getting a real time game under his belt before the playoffs start.

The Colts team with Peyton, that beat the Bears (2006?) - is another "right place/right time" defense that comes to mind. If my memory serves me correctly, they had given up 200+ yards on the ground in a couple games that year. Bob Sanders was the key element there.
Man
Bob Sanders.....haven't heard that name in a minute

I don't remember that team as well as my Saints, but if they were like that....then yea, lol.

Saints that year had the Meachem play.
On phone so can't post it, but Brees throws a pick and Meach grabs it from dude and runs in for a TD....

Back