what have we learned week 4

• Thread starter Thread starter dopples
  • Start date Start date
If they made every conference play 9 or 10 conference games, plus only P5 teams OOC, it would be a good start.
That's exactly the wrong thing to do. If the conferences are unequal, the factor that would even things out would be nonconference games. Play 6 or 7 games in conference so Clemson can play three or four SEC teams each year, as we would like to do.

As a fan of the program that benefits the most from the "narrative" I think it needs to change. I wish we could take the human element completely out of it, or just go back to pre-BCS days and let different organizations distribute national championships however they see fit.

Me too.

I do not think we should have anybody choosing who gets to play for a national title. That is why I just want conference champions of every league in (or 8 of the 10). Or I'd be fine to go back to preBCS also or just have a dozen different computer rankings to get lots of different methods of measuring teams, throw out the highest and lowest (like the BCS did) and average the remainder and that is your system with no direct control or involvement from people.

But that isn't what they people who made the system and run the system want. That is why they changed the BCS system to give human polls more influence and now they have exclusively humans deciding who gets in the playoff. Plus, the NCAA has no say in what the championship post season is in football, so it is totally up to the TV companies and the conferences to do what they want (the P5 conferences that control everything, not the AAC or MWC) - and what do you think they want?

I think the best thing is no humans picking teams. Teams picking teams based off their wins and losses. The only way we can do that is a conference champion model only.

None of it will happen. No preBCS, no BCS-type system, no conference champion system. It will continue with meaningless rankings and a committee picking teams. It might go to 8 or more teams someday, but it will still be people handpicking the teams they want in.

It's just kinda a waste of time to even talk about it so I try and just not think about it much any more. Literally the post season is anticlimactic to the September-November season anyway.

I think if you earn the 1 spot preseason, you should have to lose it. Just because one team chooses to empty the playbook and win games by 70 against shit schools doesn't mean they are better than Clemson. As "meh" as they have looked, they haven't even been in danger of a loss, so it is quite possible they are just ok with being vanilla as hell until they need to not be. I get what everyone is saying, but I also understand the concept of "they earned the preseason 1 spot, they deserve to keep it until they show genuine chinks in their armor"
I guess the argument would be why have they earned it if they haven’t even played a game yet. Because of previous years? Who’s to say this years team is as good. Players change, coaches change, injuries happen, etc. preseason rankings is nothing more than a way to build hope and false narratives, in other words, follow the $ and you see why they have them. No team should be ranked until middle Oct.

And to think it doesn’t matter, it does. Because when we get to November and the babbling idiots on ESPN and Kirby say they beat the #4 team in the nation at the time and have four top 10 wins, it’s not true just because some fools ranked a team like Michigan 7 in the preseason when clearly they had no business to that ranking and will probably have 3-4 losses when it’s all said and done. But Wisky beat a top 10 team, please. It’s criminal. And ranking 5 SEC teams in top 10 now just allows them to get away with this shit in November.

I guess the argument would be why have they earned it if they haven’t even played a game yet. Because of previous years? Who’s to say this years team is as good. Players change, coaches change, injuries happen, etc. preseason rankings is nothing more than a way to build hope and false narratives, in other words, follow the $ and you see why they have them. No team should be ranked until middle Oct.

And to think it doesn’t matter, it does. Because when we get to November and the babbling idiots on ESPN and Kirby say they beat the #4 team in the nation at the time and have four top 10 wins, it’s not true just because some fools ranked a team like Michigan 7 in the preseason when clearly they had no business to that ranking and will probably have 3-4 losses when it’s all said and done. But Wisky beat a top 10 team, please. It’s criminal. And ranking 5 SEC teams in top 10 now just allows them to get away with this shit in November.

This is certainly a good argument against my point, and I don't know that there is a solid answer. You are right, in this particular case I think you can absolutely make a case for Clemson being at 1 bc of their returning talent. But in other cases, you are right. Michigan is a great example. And what if Clemson was losing Lawrence? Would they still have bween the preseason 1? Or would voters assume they wouldnt be as good and downgrade them? Yeah, I get it. I just don't think Clemson should be punished because they don't care enough to keep the foot on the pedal against Charlotte. If you go by margin of victory, you are essentially rewarding teams bc their 3rd and 4th stringers playing better than other team's 3rd and 4th stringers in the 2nd half of cupcake games.

Granted, there will certainly be a strength of schedule case to be made against Clemson by years end

Just take subjectivity out of it completely. Conference champs and conference champs only in a playoff. Simple and objective and every single participating team has an opportunity.

They try and make it sound so hard when it isn't. And the powers that be don't want to lose their $ and power and that is why they are against it. Conference re-alignment would be much differentand more balanced under that system and the P5 don't want that. There is a reason tcu is in the big12 and utah is in the PAC. They were tired of lack of opportunity.

Just take subjectivity out of it completely. Conference champs and conference champs only in a playoff. Simple and objective and every single participating team has an opportunity.

They try and make it sound so hard when it isn't. And the powers that be don't want to lose their $ and power and that is why they are against it. Conference re-alignment would be much differentand more balanced under that system and the P5 don't want that. There is a reason tcu is in the big12 and utah is in the PAC. They were tired of lack of opportunity.

Conference champs only can also help the OOC scheduling, since losing a game like that won't be as penal. I get that not all conferences are created equal, but that's life

Conference champs only can also help the OOC scheduling, since losing a game like that won't be as penal. I get that not all conferences are created equal, but that's life
Rivalries as well. Would love texas vs texas AM to renew.

Eventually the conferences would become more balanced too. So any concerns over bama or ohio state rolling western michigan or troy should be a short term one

I didn’t watch the game, but I wondered about LSU. It’s like they have a new toy and they can’t put it down. Unless they are running the same plays over and over, it seems they may be giving later opponents too much info. Maybe I’m just reading too much into it
I have my meat out in my hand every Saturday

I’d rather watch Joe Burreaux and the offense than fuck my blonde haired fake titty girlfriend.
And it’s an easy call

I didn’t watch the game, but I wondered about LSU. It’s like they have a new toy and they can’t put it down. Unless they are running the same plays over and over, it seems they may be giving later opponents too much info. Maybe I’m just reading too much into it
It can’t be said enough show fucking good J’Marrr Chase is.....many had Terrrace rated higher, but I always thought Chase to be stellar.
I really want Ed to let the younger RBs gets reps soon

On Burrow, I think the intention was for him to play a series or two in the 2H, finish on a good note, then play Brennan, but things kind of snowballed.

Score was 38-17 due to a Vandy fumble recovery for TD right before half which basically guaranteed he would play in the 2nd.

2H kickoff was an onside attempt returned inside the 10 for a one play TD drive. Vandy immediately answered with a TD to make into 45-24, and basically right back where the half started.

LSU drove for a TD, followed by a punt block TD to make it 59-24. The next drive probably would have been the first available opportunity to get him out, but they took over inside the 10 and all I can figure is they didn’t want to make the switch given the field position. That drive was a sloppy 3 and out and after a Vandy TD he had one more 3 and out before Brennan played the 4Q.

For the most part he’s out there throwing to open receivers or they were making catches and just running through the Vandy secondary. They had to play off because they couldn’t cover and then they couldn’t tackle once they allowed catches in front of them. I don’t really see where they were getting deeper and deeper in the playbook.

With all of that said, injuries are piling up all over the place. Chaisson dressed and didn’t play, so he could be back as early as Utah State. Both starting DEs remain out and didn’t dress. Divinity went down Saturday and will miss extended time. That’s 4 starters in the front 7, and S Todd Harris went out for the season the week before. Nickel and safety play has been a big problem outside of the injury issues in the front.

On offense WR Jefferson went down with an ankle early Saturday and Marshall sustained a foot fracture at some point, had surgery Sunday, and will also be out a month or so.

They did get good news in that the OG Ed Ingram’s legal issue was resolved and he will be rejoining the team after being suspended for more than a year. He’ll work back into the rotation. The bye week comes at a good time but with lines that will likely be inflated against Utah State and Florida, the other side may be worth a look.
What do you think about Fulton moving inside to cover the slot. Obv they think Kary ain’t playing up to par, but I don’t like Flott that much. WHy not keep your 1st round CB our where he belongs?

Also what’s your take on Delpit? Think he’s playing soft? I see light tackles for sure, but I wanna see him ball like he can

Back