what have we learned thread yada yada yada

I said it was a big injury. But to say Texas would definitely have won bc they were dominating with colt is stupid. He played 4 plays. Him staying in would have changed the whole game on both sides. Colt could have stayed in and played great, or played bad. There is no definite answer. Anyway, I'm done talking about it. Long time ago and doesn't help me or anyone make good bets in 2014

fair enough

One other thing I wanted to say is that Marshall has really killed themselves this year by not scheduling anyone in the non conference. CUSA is maybe the worst conference in FBS now, so they are unlikely to get any kind of test from anyone in that conference and they scheduled weak MAC squads in the NC. It's too bad...they've always had a couple of power 5 squads on their schedule in the past, like VT or West Virginia, but this year, when they have their best team, they have nothing to speak of...a total embarrassment of a schedule. I'd really be interested to see what they could do, too, because we all know Cato is good.

If everything progresses as we think it will, and 2 loss teams are going to be in the mix for the top 4, an undefeated Marshall squad with a couple of good OOC wins might have been in the conservation. You can't even consider it with that schedule. They'll probably be a double digit favorite in every game they play this year, including the bowl, unless they get some sort of guarantee for a good bowl if they're ranked high enough. (not familiar with the bowl rules). So they could go undefeated and never get tested. What's the point of that?

Even byu was going to be outside looking in with their schedule. Marshall had no shot and they have been decent awhile now ... who wants to schedule a team from a shit conference that most people don't know about to lose to? They probably cant get bites from decent teams.

Bama defense was NFL like in that Texas game. Please. Some people are bitter.

You can woulda, shoulda, coulda for every game every Saturday. That night we will never know if colt stays in but he didn't and Bama was nasty.

but texas outgained bama .. so texas defense was nasty too

Illinois is going to fire Beckman. Who would you guys go after if you were them? I'm recusing myself because I went to school there, and I would probably not be able to be impartial.

hmmmm who is succeeding in the mac?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any hate for the fans or posters here. This is more so directed to the self fulfilling prophecy of ESPN in particular & CFB media in general. They say "Hey LSU & SoCar are good, let's have em ranked preseason". When in actuality those teams aren't, so when the other SEC teams beat them its "WOW the SEC is good", as opposed to Ya know bad teams losing. If that same bias was in say the ACC, Duke would've been ranked & Mia's win over them would have proved "the Acc is good" thus making GTs win over Miami to stay undefeated akin to Miss St.

so my beef is really with the lazy "hey team X is SEC so they must be good" & if team X loses to another SEC team that somehow proves team Z is good. Just self fulfilling

Ive vey been saying that for a few years. Typically the SEC has had two of the top teams in the country, but everyone else in the conference gets overated

I will have to consider how ODU is not a great team. Probably middle of the pack CUSA or lower depending on the next few weeks. But Marshall is the best team we have played. They are certainly the best team I have watched in person (not saying much) but I have seen some Teams like VT, UNC, Maryland. They are absolutely stacked. I was extremely impressed with the athleticism. Every DE it seemed was 6-4 250 with 7 foot wing spans. There defensive line dominated the line of scrimmage and thee secondary was physical. They have a good arsenal of backs witha 240 pound workhorse that appears to run a 4.5 plus a small speedster.

Ipthis is really isn't criticism, but Cato didn't impress me as much as I expected. His arm is a rifle, but thought his accuracy wasn't as good as expected and his touch wasn't quite what I expected. Probably bc they didn't need him to do anything, but that was my impression.

I cannot not see them losing a game and seeing the other schools, I don't see how they aren't legitimately top 15. It's a shame VT wasn't on their schedule this year. I think they are a step up from ECU.

Thanks man. I thought you were saying that one team from Mississippi was for real. I was curious as to which one.

Wow, Texas / Bama 2010? Have my own viewpoints, but McCoy v. McElroy? Ok. But that fuckstick Mack Brown never gave Gilbert snaps during the season in hopes of building McCoy's Heisman #s. And we paid for it when Gilbert was clueless for a good stretch of the 'Bama game. Hell, watch the tape, we had to call a timeout after McCoy got hurt because Gilbert couldn't find his helmet, it was somewhere near Santa Monica.

An offshoot I learned this weekend....Chris Fowler likes to bet college football. Not sure if this a revelation. But listen to his call of the Sparty FG attempt in the last couple of minutes of the game that would have covered. When the kick in on the way and seemingly good, Fowler is lit up, but when it hits the upright he sounds like a kid who had his presents stolen on Christmas Eve.

I learned that if Tennessee and Kentucky weren't on the schedule, Muschamp would already be flipping burgers at the Gainesville McDonald's. Those two schools are absolutely terrified of beating Florida and if they weren't, the Gators would have exactly one SEC win the last two years.

Learned a bunch of other stuff too, but that's all that comes to mind.

But hey ... ole miss beat bama about the same as they beat boise or Memphis....

You can woulda, shoulda, coulda for every game every Saturday. That night we will never know if colt stays in but he didn't and Bama was nasty.
agree and VK is just being a UT homer....fun to see every now and again for a dude that can cap blindly in his sleep though

yea...TX people just want a winner

like LA people and I ain't talking Cali

But hey ... ole miss beat bama about the same as they beat boise or Memphis....

Illinois is going to fire Beckman. Who would you guys go after if you were them? I'm recusing myself because I went to school there, and I would probably not be able to be impartial.
Tell me please. My last memory of them was Kurt Kittner playin LSU in the Sugar Bowl....seemed to have a good team then brass?....what happened? They also snuck up on a few teams a bit ago right? Played spoiler to tOSU?

Right?

How many years til lsu returns to dominant fashion? I assume they've recruited well and they won't be down for long. I know the QB and fornette are freshman but are y'all playing a lot of youth across the board?
Rough sledding ahead my bro... The West is so nasty now....this team will be bad ass in 2 years

them dudes jumping ship to the NFL has caught up...it shows now

The biggest personnel issue at the moment is youth on the DL, especially in the middle. Currently starting a freshman and a sophomore, and all of the backups are redshirt freshmen who have been a disappointment so far. There are 9 DTs on the roster. Of those there are two juniors (one of which is injured and the other will never play), and the rest have been on campus less than two years...either true sophomores, redshirt freshmen, or true freshmen. The ends are a junior and senior, but the rest of the rotation consists of a sophomore and a couple true freshmen. The corners are sophomores, and the two most talented safeties are a freshman and sophomore...but they only play in the rotation and aren't starting yet.

With all that being said, the defensive staff will probably get an overhaul after the season. The youth is one thing but you don't have that many players consistently out of position, give up so many huge plays, and generally not even compete unless there are bigger issues.

You mentioned the youth on offense, and basically all of the skill positions are freshmen and sophomores. The top 5 WRs are a sophomore and 4 freshmen. I think time will fix the problems there. The biggest disappointment has been the OL as they are experienced and should be better than what they've been.

And it goes without saying this is a bad year to have all of these issues.
Yes MOT. But the LB situation is awful...as in God awful.

I've been bitching about this forever. It cost them that Auburn game last year.

It can't be forever bc they had a kid from raleigh a few years back that never missed. Def played for at least one of Bam's non made up championships.

Wow, Texas / Bama 2010? Have my own viewpoints, but McCoy v. McElroy? Ok. But that fuckstick Mack Brown never gave Gilbert snaps during the season in hopes of building McCoy's Heisman #s. And we paid for it when Gilbert was clueless for a good stretch of the 'Bama game. Hell, watch the tape, we had to call a timeout after McCoy got hurt because Gilbert couldn't find his helmet, it was somewhere near Santa Monica.

An offshoot I learned this weekend....Chris Fowler likes to bet college football. Not sure if this a revelation. But listen to his call of the Sparty FG attempt in the last couple of minutes of the game that would have covered. When the kick in on the way and seemingly good, Fowler is lit up, but when it hits the upright he sounds like a kid who had his presents stolen on Christmas Eve.

In Fowler's defense that kicked turned dead left at the very last possible moment.

It is one thing to recruit the position poorly

LOL!!! Saban hasn't recruited the position poorly. He recruited the #1 kicker in the nation, and until Griffith missed 2 long field goals (46 & 51) in very windy conditions, he's had an exceptional season including winning "SEC Special Teams Player of the Week" in week 1. Alabama has had one bad kicker in the Saban era and that was Cade Foster. In 2012 Alabama had the best statistical kicker in college football as Jeremy Shelley converted on every FG and PAT attempted. Now Saban can and should be excoriated for many things, including but not limited to trotting the clearly incompetent Foster out there to repeatedly shank field goals in critical situations. But to conclude that because Foster was incompetent, that all Alabama kickers are therefore incompetent is just silly.

Last edited:
SO much bad coaching on display this weekend. Worse than usual, and that is saying something.

Tim Beckman leading the way. His second half coaching performance was on par with the defense he fielded. Illinois is just absolutely god awful on defense, seriously don't know how you can let PURDUE account for over 500 total/350 rushing yards (at home nonetheless). Illinois would finish at the bottom of the MAC.

LOL!!! Saban hasn't recruited the position poorly. He recruited the #1 kicker in the nation, and until Griffith missed 2 long field goals (46 & 51) in very windy conditions, he's had an exceptional season including winning "SEC Special Teams Player of the Week" in week 1. Alabama has had one bad kicker in the Saban era and that was Cade Foster. In 2012 Alabama had the best statistical kicker in college football as Jeremy Shelley converted on every FG and PAT attempted. Now Saban can and should be excoriated for many things, including but not limited to trotting the clearly incompetent Foster out there to repeatedly shank field goals in critical situations. But to conclude that because Foster was incompetent, that all Alabama kickers are therefore incompetent is just silly.

Ironically, if Cade had gone in for the final FG attempt against AU last year, he probably kicks it so bad no way Davis can get a return on it. Or at least he would have made the tackle. Shelley was automatic, but he also had only 1 attempt that I can recall outside 38 yards. And it was blocked against LSU in 2011. Leigh Tiffin was a disaster in 2006, but damn near All-SEC in 2008-09.

The SEC W is panning out to be like the BIG 12 from a few years back. All in the top with back to back to back big games. I will be looking to fade those that win 2 in a row on their 3rd game.

CG

Your thoughts on Fedora, Koenning and UNC football in general?

I can't start this post without first giving Marvin Austin the "finger" for the 1,000th time. I'd love to know where UNC football would be had he not brought this program to its knees four or five summers ago. Not bc I literally want them to cheat, but bc he was just so open/arrogant about it through twitter and Instagram.

UNC football is bad. As bad as it has ever been minus Mack's first two seasons. But we have to start from the beginning and give the Black Santa and the aforementioned MA their credit bc the Heels are 15 scholly's in the hole right now and there are more walk-ons with scholly's now more than at any other time. Fedora has also spent too much time trying to recruit the elite recruits rough this process and not enough time with more realistic recruits. But the biggest problem is none of these coaches (starts with Fedora) gets these players better year to year. That's the most glaring thing to me. Can anybody name one of his recruits and say one of them has progressed as a college football player? I don't think you can.

Koenning is is gone at the end of the year. How many head coaches does this guy need to get fired before they stop hiring this guy? This 5-2 whatever defense he is playing is a joke bc the Heels don't have the athletes at the right positions to play it; they're too small. Fedora signed a 7 year agreement so his job is not in jeopardy at the moment even though I don't think he's the man for the job anymore. It's funny bc all Tar Heel football fans were so worried this guy was gone after 1/2 years bc of the offensive success he had with the former regimes players. Now the same people want him out and know exactly why Southern Piss went 0 fer the year he left. Lol.

The QB rotation. Trubisky isn't good. He's just not. He's Fedora's guy (Williams is not) and that's why they are in this f'ing rotation where Trubisky comes in every third series. He's yet to have any success against good comp and worse he screws up the momentum Williams had built. Neither guy is great though Williams is better, but stick with one of them and let's move on. This has been a terrible experiment.

Believe it it or not, people actually care about UNC football bc of the hope BD brought (cheater or not) and what MB had built twenty years ago. It's on the administration to keep it going which they failed miserably doing so when MB left. People don't like a losing product and won't pour their money into it. Bubba Cunningham better yank a knot in the BOT at UNC and get a blank check ready for the winter of 2015 or all the money that was poured into upgrading the stadium will have been for not and the Southern part of Heaven will continue to be called the "aluminum jungle".

SO much bad coaching on display this weekend. Worse than usual, and that is saying something.

Tim Beckman leading the way. His second half coaching performance was on par with the defense he fielded. Illinois is just absolutely god awful on defense, seriously don't know how you can let PURDUE account for over 500 total/350 rushing yards (at home nonetheless). Illinois would finish at the bottom of the MAC.

If Purdue rushed for 350 vs Illini, what will Wisky do this Saturday coming off a bad loss vs NW plus Lunt got hurt again and O'Toole is a notch below. Wisky might deliver 59-6 type of beatdown this Sat - Im hoping the line isnt above 28.

I never said they recruited the position poorly and went out of my way to focus on the coaching aspect of the position. I said it is one thing to recruit the position poorly or have a few misses at kicker but it is something else to not know what your kicker is capable of and showed that Saban cannot do 4th grade math.

If Purdue rushed for 350 vs Illini, what will Wisky do this Saturday coming off a bad loss vs NW plus Lunt got hurt again and O'Toole is a notch below. Wisky might deliver 59-6 type of beatdown this Sat - Im hoping the line isnt above 28.

If they actually run the ball.

we were good then too (yes i said we)

Saban faking a punt in the 1st quarter tells you he was very worried

we were good then too (yes i said we)

Saban faking a punt in the 1st quarter tells you he was very worried

Don't think it was necessarily called by the coaches. It was an audible by the punter. A read for the punter all season was to throw to the gunner if he was left alone. Gideon faked in then went back out. Good coaching by the Longhorns. Little better pass and it was 6 though.

Back