what have we learned thread yada yada yada

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
I learned ...

SEC is over rated and not by a little bit but by A LOT.
LSU is sporting their worst defense by far in this millennium.
No lead is safe in CFB anymore.
It is impossible to defend the pass in CFB.
Hitting a QB on a pitch is apparently a penalty now too that leads to ejections (TAMU and AFA).
Tackling is optional.
Reyonolds is a shell of his former self for Navy.
Clemson QB is the nuts.
Your QB can throw for over 700 and you can still lose.
Saban is not a big game coach. He would have lost to Texas in title game had it not been for injury, got crushed in bowl game vs best opponent he faced last year, lost iron bowl on horrid coaching against rival last year, was outcoached by sumlin multiple times, was humiliated yesterday, ..... Shine is off that pig ... luckily they pay really well .. errrr ... recruit really well and have nfl talent all over the field so they win most games anyway.

To your last point, it appears the game is passing Saban by, and he either doesn't realize it, or is too stubborn to change. But don't give me that Texas BS. Colt was hurt 3rd play of the game. Not like Colt would have stopped Ingram and TRich putting up 140+ each

To your last point, it appears the game is passing Saban by, and he either doesn't realize it, or is too stubborn to change. But don't give me that Texas BS. Colt was hurt 3rd play of the game. Not like Colt would have stopped Ingram and TRich putting up 140+ each

They almost beat them with Gilbert ... but I don't want to debate it anyway. Bama won ..just think he was outcoached in the game.... by Mack fucking Brown.

I learned that teams like UTSA should never be laying over 2 TDs... And there's lots of opportunities for lower level double digit ml dogs...

Learned LSU is getting blown out almost every week and was a shitty Wisky getting stupid in the 2h from another blowout loss. But somehow ppl are still giving them votes in the coaches poll.

learned a&m' biggest win is vs a 3 loss team that may struggle to make the Advocare v100 bowl & just lost to KY.

That somehow Miss St beating those 2 shitty to avg teams makes Miss St good. Logic seems fucked up to me but hey confirmation bias smh.

i learned Bama is 4-3 in its last 7 & 0-3 in last 3 vs ranked teams. But hey confirmation bias FTW!!

clemson is severely underrated & under ranked.

Now without any sarcasm, on a serious note. It's Auburn ............. Then the rest of the SEC. Let's just be honest.

Learned also that in 2weeks if FSU beats #5 ND, somehow that win will be minimized.

and that Jimbo has reached 50 wins before Muschamp & Golden COMBINED!

Now without any sarcasm, on a serious note. It's Auburn ............. Then the rest of the SEC. Let's just be honest

Who were thoroughly outplayed by someone this year .. no surprise it was an OOC game ... confirmation bias FTW

Also find it interesting that the two middle tier big12 teams that moved to the SEC are doing about the same there as they did in the Big12. Doesn't make sense since the SEC is so incredibly superior to everyone else.

Lot of hate in here. Feel like it's directed at SEC fans from other venues and not this board. The thing about Alabama right now and in the last few big games is the amount of unforced errors they're making. Pre-snap penalties, abysmal special teams play, untimely TO's, etc. Not what has been a hallmark of Saban for his career.

Fun stat #1: After this weekend, Alabama is 1st in SEC in total defense, and 2nd in total offense

Fun stat #2: In it's last 7 losses, Alabama has outgained the opponent

Fun stat #3: Alabama is something like 5-16 on FGs in it's last 5 losses

That all leads up to a serious failure at some point in the coaching. Where it is, I don't know. But for $7 mill a year, it rests on one man's shoulders.

I bet there will be a 3 way tie at the top of the SEC West at 6-2. Pick what 3 teams they are, no telling at this point

I learned ...

Hitting a QB on a pitch is apparently a penalty now too that leads to ejections (TAMU and AFA).
Tackling is optional.
Clemson QB is the nuts.
Saban is not a big game coach. He would have lost to Texas in title game had it not been for injury, got crushed in bowl game vs best opponent he faced last year, lost iron bowl on horrid coaching against rival last year, was outcoached by sumlin multiple times, was humiliated yesterday, ..... Shine is off that pig ... luckily they pay really well .. errrr ... recruit really well and have nfl talent all over the field so they win most games anyway.

See bolded. This has been the case for many years. Nobody can cover downfield. Most of the time, it's not because they get beat by a move or have some physical mistake, it's just that they refuse to cover a guy streaking down the field. Not that they aren't successful anyway, but why offensive coaches don't just air it out on almost every play escapes me. Tennessee failed to throw one pass deep downfield all game despite Florida giving us all the data we needed indicating that they have no pass defense.

As for tackling, it's an epidemic because coaches nowadays are obsessed with making sure players are constantly "swarming to the ball". Guess what: it's hard to tackle when you're always running 100 miles per hour and the other guy's a moving target too. One move and you fly right past them. Whatever happened to getting into a tackling stance, pasting your eyes on their belly button and driving through them? Whatever happened to containment, which is totally out the window these days? (Blake Sims rushing TD on 4th down). It's possible to tackle from a stationary position..you don't have to be sprinting at the runner at all times. Sometimes giving ground for a yard is preferred to reckless abandon which costs you a 70 yard TD. Measured angles. Containment. Proper position under control. These things are foreign concepts.

Sorry, you got me riled up bringing that up, and I totally agree with you. NOBODY tackles well in football anymore, and it's excruciating to watch sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any hate for the fans or posters here. This is more so directed to the self fulfilling prophecy of ESPN in particular & CFB media in general. They say "Hey LSU & SoCar are good, let's have em ranked preseason". When in actuality those teams aren't, so when the other SEC teams beat them its "WOW the SEC is good", as opposed to Ya know bad teams losing. If that same bias was in say the ACC, Duke would've been ranked & Mia's win over them would have proved "the Acc is good" thus making GTs win over Miami to stay undefeated akin to Miss St.

so my beef is really with the lazy "hey team X is SEC so they must be good" & if team X loses to another SEC team that somehow proves team Z is good. Just self fulfilling

Lot of hate in here. Feel like it's directed at SEC fans from other venues and not this board.

I'm bitter about the 2010 and 2011 championships by Bama and Auburn, both of which depended on dirty hits on opposing QBs. I agree with Kyle that UT was in the driver's seat in that game against Bama, and Auburn was about to go down versus Clemson until a defender broke Kyle Parker's ribs with a vicious and flagrantly illegal hit. Cheating off the filed is one thing, but I can't stand shit like that on the field.

Otherwise, I'm not a detractor of the SEC. I don't think it's overrated.

Learned LSU is getting blown out almost every week and was a shitty Wisky getting stupid in the 2h from another blowout loss. But somehow ppl are still giving them votes in the coaches poll.

learned a&m' biggest win is vs a 3 loss team that may struggle to make the Advocare v100 bowl & just lost to KY.

I can't wait till November 29. Five years of payback could get ugly.

That somehow Miss St beating those 2 shitty to avg teams makes Miss St good. Logic seems fucked up to me but hey confirmation bias smh.

i learned Bama is 4-3 in its last 7 & 0-3 in last 3 vs ranked teams. But hey confirmation bias FTW!!

clemson is severely underrated & under ranked.

Indeed. Line last week was a joke. Should cover easily this week as well. Will be interesting to see where the number comes out.

Now without any sarcasm, on a serious note. It's Auburn ............. Then the rest of the SEC. Let's just be honest.

Learned also that in 2weeks if FSU beats #5 ND, somehow that win will be minimized.

Ha ha.

and that Jimbo has reached 50 wins before Muschamp & Golden COMBINED!

Dabo 22-9 ATS as a home favorite. He will be 23-9 next Sunday morning

True, and I'm sure his record covering the 1H line is even better. Like vs. NC State 2 years ago - easy 1H cover, then State backdoored it and covered by 1.

Just blaming them for not finding a kicker isn't good enough imo ...

Look at what saban did last year ...

[TABLE="class: mod-data mod-pbp"]
<thead>[TR="class: team-color-strip"]
[TH="colspan: 2, align: left"]Alabama at 8:28[/TH]
[TH]ALA[/TH]
[TH]AUB[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody>[TR="class: odd"]
[TD="width: 135"]1st and 10 at AUB 35[/TD]
[TD]T.J. Yeldon rush for 13 yards to the Aub 22 for a 1ST down.[/TD]
[TD="class: bi, align: center"]28[/TD]
[TD="class: bi, align: center"]21[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD="width: 135"]1st and 10 at AUB 22[/TD]
[TD]T.J. Yeldon rush for 7 yards to the Aub 15.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd"]
[TD="width: 135"]2nd and 3 at AUB 15[/TD]
[TD]T.J. Yeldon rush for 2 yards to the Aub 13.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="width: 135"]3rd and 1 at AUB 13[/TD]
[TD]T.J. Yeldon rush for no gain to the Aub 13.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="width: 135"]4th and 1 at AUB 13[/TD]
[TD]T.J. Yeldon rush for no gain to the Aub 13.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
<thead>[TR="class: colhead"]
[TH="colspan: 4"]ALA DRIVE TOTALS: 5 plays, 22 yards, 2:54[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><thead>[TR="class: team-color-strip"]
[TH="colspan: 2, align: left"]
Auburn at 5:34

[/TH]
[TH]ALA[/TH]
[TH]AUB[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead>[/TABLE]

Followed by ...

[TABLE="class: mod-data mod-pbp"]
<thead>[TR="class: team-color-strip"]
[TH="colspan: 2, align: left"]Alabama at 0:32[/TH]
[TH]ALA[/TH]
[TH]AUB[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody>[TR="class: even"]
[TD="width: 135"]1st and 10 at ALA 29[/TD]
[TD]AJ McCarron pass incomplete.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="width: 135"]2nd and 10 at ALA 29[/TD]
[TD]T.J. Yeldon rush for 9 yards to the Alab 38.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="width: 135"]3rd and 1 at ALA 38[/TD]
[TD]Timeout ALABAMA, clock 0:07.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]T.J. Yeldon rush for 24 yards to the Aub 38 for a 1ST down.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="width: 135"]1st and 10 at AUB 38[/TD]
[TD]Timeout AUBURN, clock 0:01.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD="class: bi"]Adam Griffith 57 yard field goal MISSED returned by Chris Davis for a TOUCHDOWN.[/TD]
[TD="class: bi, align: center"]34[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]End of 4th Quarter[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
<thead>[TR="class: colhead"]
[TH="colspan: 4"]ALA DRIVE TOTALS: 3 plays, 33 yards[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead>[/TABLE]

It is one thing to recruit the position poorly .. or to have a couple misses on kickers ... that is gonna happen sometimes ,.... but to not know what your kicker is capable of is another. If he cannot trust his kicker to give him a two score lead with 5 minutes to go from the opponents 13 yard line but can trust him to try from 57 friggin yards knowing he can't kick reach the post from that distance with a 20mph tail wind then I just don't know what to say.

His play calling once in the penetration zone ( hehe ) is an atrocity given the kicking situation too.

I learned that Butch Jones disappointed the shit out of me. Justin Worley completed 26 passes for 206 yards. They refused to go downfield despite the fact that Florida can't cover. Kentucky burned them. Alabama incinerated them. Tennessee didn't even bother trying.

Also, in the first half, the only thing keeping UT from being up a ton was that they had terrible field position. 80 yard + fields are tough, so instead of being up 20-0 or 24-0, it was 3-0. I bring this up because he had a chance to flip the field in the first half when Florida failed to convert a third and 10 around midfield. On the play, FLA was called for an offensive PI, which is 15 yards. That would move Florida back to the 35 but give them another shot at 3rd down, but a 3rd and 25. This is the 3rd best team in the country in 3rd down defense against the 111th best 3rd down offense coming in, and Jones refused the penalty. Result: Punter drops it at the 5, forcing more conservative play calling. Should have took the penalty. Not only does the 15 yards help you call the plays on offense to exploit your opponent, but it gives Driskill another shot at a turnover under pressure. Bad coaching decision.

It appears that Marshall has gotten over that road favorite bugaboo.

If you think Purdue is going to do THAT again, you are sorely mistaken. I have no idea how a defense can possibly look as bad as Illinois has the past two weeks. The combination of poor talent and worse technique is staggering. Just an abomination.

I get the whole high/low thing from week to week, but Jacoby Brissett? That was uncalled for. Take a look at that boxscore.

Baylor had 5 yards per pass attempt and still won easily.

Miami only ran 44 plays!!! The power of the triple option I guess...

Cincinnati's pass defense might have surpassed Rice's as the worst in the game. 17.2 yards per completion to Paxton Lynch and Memphis. Maybe Fresno can give them a run, but they look like the favorite to me.

Baylor was the wrong side. Thought Texas was the better team for most of the game ( on this day ). It appeared to me that Briles just felt confident that if he didn't turn the ball over that the Texas offense couldn't make him pay and I guess he was right. But Baylor had a ten pt swing on the blocked fg, texas fumbled at the 1 and one of Baylors scores was because of a fake punt. They certainly didn't dominate the way you would want a two td plus favorite to dominate. Certainly South Carolina was far more dominant than Baylor was yesterday. Consider Baylor one of my lesser bets of the day personally but thank god they covered.

gotta give Mississippi D credit..that d was pretty efficient in getting stops..one td by bama offense.

lsu d was giving up 6.30 per play before game..it shouldn't be too shocking..jmo.

gotta give Mississippi D credit..that d was pretty efficient in getting stops..one td by bama offense.

Dominant. They were so dominant that Bama was scared to drop back and try to beat them with their "greatest arsenal of skill guys in school history".

yeah..play calling was suspect..who knows..bama gashed them at times in run game but don't get very creative on 3rd downs with lead.

Yeah it was interesting VK. I think Baylor has great balance this year though..that D is faaast.

I'm bitter about the 2010 and 2011 championships by Bama and Auburn, both of which depended on dirty hits on opposing QBs. I agree with Kyle that UT was in the driver's seat in that game against Bama, and Auburn was about to go down versus Clemson until a defender broke Kyle Parker's ribs with a vicious and flagrantly illegal hit. Cheating off the filed is one thing, but I can't stand shit like that on the field.

Otherwise, I'm not a detractor of the SEC. I don't think it's overrated.

Lulz on dirty hit by Dareus and Texas being in control of game. It was UT's 4th play of the game. They had something like 19 yards of offense at that point. There's no question the game could have turned out differently had Colt not tried to lower his shoulder into a DL, but to say that Texas would have definitely won was a stretch.

The kicking thing and Saban has truly been a nightmare. 5 missed kicks against LSU in 2011. 4 last year against AU. In that AU game, we turned down a 30 yard FG attempt to try to get a 1st down and failed. Late in games, Saban has consistently made the wrong decision lately. In the college game, I'd still rather have a terrific recruiter and an average game day coach than the other way around. I think it will yield better results, but for God's sake either get better or let your coordinators do their job. Yesterday's offensive playcalling in the 2nd half had Saban written all over it. Total departure from the previous games which I have to believe were mostly Lane. Yeldon had 120 some odd yards on 20 carries yesterday. He was gashing the Ole Miss D. So what do we do on 1st and 10 from their 29? Some kind of stupid QB run that loses 7 yards, puts us way behind the sticks and results in a miss FG. Brutal. I won't put it all on the kickers either, because a lot of these attempts are 40+ yards in high pressure situations, but at some point they have to execute. But it's the coaches' job to put them in better situations. I'd rather go for it on 4th and 3 from the opponent's 35 rather than try to make a 50 yarder

Sorry for rant. Pretty disappointed with what I've seen the last 7 games

Baylor was the wrong side. Thought Texas was the better team for most of the game ( on this day ). It appeared to me that Briles just felt confident that if he didn't turn the ball over that the Texas offense couldn't make him pay and I guess he was right. But Baylor had a ten pt swing on the blocked fg, texas fumbled at the 1 and one of Baylors scores was because of a fake punt. They certainly didn't dominate the way you would want a two td plus favorite to dominate. Certainly South Carolina was far more dominant than Baylor was yesterday. Consider Baylor one of my lesser bets of the day personally but thank god they covered.

Got stuck with the FSU/Wake game in my ABC area so didn't get to watch the game. That sucked big time. I'm in Indy too. Not sure why I got that one.

Don't make it sound like Bama offense dominated that game. They had 263 yards and were outgained by Texas with their backup QB in the game. Bama won and all we can do is speculate but losing an NFL Rookie Starting QB on the first drive of the game and throwing Gilbert in there without the starting reps in preparation is about as big an injury as has ever occurred in a title game.

One other thing I wanted to say is that Marshall has really killed themselves this year by not scheduling anyone in the non conference. CUSA is maybe the worst conference in FBS now, so they are unlikely to get any kind of test from anyone in that conference and they scheduled weak MAC squads in the NC. It's too bad...they've always had a couple of power 5 squads on their schedule in the past, like VT or West Virginia, but this year, when they have their best team, they have nothing to speak of...a total embarrassment of a schedule. I'd really be interested to see what they could do, too, because we all know Cato is good.

If everything progresses as we think it will, and 2 loss teams are going to be in the mix for the top 4, an undefeated Marshall squad with a couple of good OOC wins might have been in the conservation. You can't even consider it with that schedule. They'll probably be a double digit favorite in every game they play this year, including the bowl, unless they get some sort of guarantee for a good bowl if they're ranked high enough. (not familiar with the bowl rules). So they could go undefeated and never get tested. What's the point of that?

Don't make it sound like Bama offense dominated that game. They had 263 yards and were outgained by Texas with their backup QB in the game. Bama won and all we can do is speculate but losing an NFL Rookie Starting QB on the first drive of the game and throwing Gilbert in there without the starting reps in preparation is about as big an injury as has ever occurred in a title game.

I said it was a big injury. But to say Texas would definitely have won bc they were dominating with colt is stupid. He played 4 plays. Him staying in would have changed the whole game on both sides. Colt could have stayed in and played great, or played bad. There is no definite answer. Anyway, I'm done talking about it. Long time ago and doesn't help me or anyone make good bets in 2014

This thread is fantastic.

Coaches get in their own way so often. 1 year ago I would never bet against Saban, and would make a lot of money betting on him in big games. Now, I have zero desire to touch Bama games TBH right now. I haven't gotten to watch all of the Ole Miss game, but from what I saw I'm fairly sure that Bama could have lined up under center & ran the ball all game long. They would run the ball all the way down to the 30yd line, then pass incomplete a few times & try a long FG. Saban's special teams decisions are embarrassing. If Bama would have won by 1 pt I may have puked. Outcoached & happy for Ole Miss. Saban has made some terrible coaching mistakes the last year, & the special teams decisions are soooooooooo terrible.

Gotta give it up to myself a bit. As a die hard OU fan, I said I thought TCU had the highest probability to be the 1 game OU would lose. Now lets see if they can run the table from here on out. If they do then I think they still get into the playoffs. Teams are going to absolutely beat each other up in other conferences.

On the OU game.....that was fantastic outcoaching as well by TCU. Patterson had some great wrinkles to slow OU's pass rush, most notably by having the OL have very wide splits & make OU cover more field. Also was a big example of coaches getting in their own way on OU's part. TCU gave them plenty of opportunities late in the game & questionable playcalls keep anything from happening. Immediate reactions from fans are about how pissed they are w/ Trevor Knight....but in all reality Heupel gave him very little room to succeed in the 2nd half. Passing on 11 of 12 plays in the 2nd half?? That's outrageous when you're a running team. Moreover, there were numerous times throughout that game that OU's defense had no idea how to line up & the offense had not idea how to line up/what play is being ran. Terrible communication coming off a Bye week. OU's biggest problem right now is that they still don't have a WR Knight trusts outside of Sterling Shepard.

I think Doug Meachem needs to get a lot of credit for TCU. His development of Boykin is fantastic. I'm not saying Boykin is a top QB now, but he is miles better than he was last year. And to prove his importance even more all you have to do is look at Houston this year. John O'Korn was great as a true freshman...Meachem leaves Houston & now O'Korn isn't half the QB he was last year. Not saying losing Meachem is all the problem w/ Houston, but I do think it's a big part of it.

College football is fantastic.....this year could be really really amazing. So much parity all over the nation.

I would also like to give a "Big Ups" to Kyle for being my friend & telling me to "stop it" in betting my small plays.

Bama defense was NFL like in that Texas game. Please. Some people are bitter.

You can woulda, shoulda, coulda for every game every Saturday. That night we will never know if colt stays in but he didn't and Bama was nasty.

Illinois is going to fire Beckman. Who would you guys go after if you were them? I'm recusing myself because I went to school there, and I would probably not be able to be impartial.

Pac 12 officiating is putrid. The MAC laughs at these jokers. Be careful on Pac games as they have a huge impact.

M
I learned ...

Tackling is optional.
Clemson QB is the nuts.
So much funny here. On IPad so let's try a bit.

I love VK/CK...not only one of the best cappers I know (brass@nuxx and Rex and a few more, but CTG the best)1

I learned ...

Tackling is optional.
Clemson QB is the nuts.
Damn IPad but for a guy so smart so much dumb here

Saban isn't a big game coach?! I had Texas in that game Kyle, but the wah wah wah is old in that one bro, come on...
I'm the last to defend Bama here, but crushed by a coach,,,,,,,I assume you mean Bob Wooooops

State of Messy.... Who knew

one is for real doe....

And VK I am not calling you dumb by any stretch to be clear

One of the best on the site my bro

How many years til lsu returns to dominant fashion? I assume they've recruited well and they won't be down for long. I know the QB and fornette are freshman but are y'all playing a lot of youth across the board?

How many years til lsu returns to dominant fashion? I assume they've recruited well and they won't be down for long. I know the QB and fornette are freshman but are y'all playing a lot of youth across the board?
The biggest personnel issue at the moment is youth on the DL, especially in the middle. Currently starting a freshman and a sophomore, and all of the backups are redshirt freshmen who have been a disappointment so far. There are 9 DTs on the roster. Of those there are two juniors (one of which is injured and the other will never play), and the rest have been on campus less than two years...either true sophomores, redshirt freshmen, or true freshmen. The ends are a junior and senior, but the rest of the rotation consists of a sophomore and a couple true freshmen. The corners are sophomores, and the two most talented safeties are a freshman and sophomore...but they only play in the rotation and aren't starting yet.

With all that being said, the defensive staff will probably get an overhaul after the season. The youth is one thing but you don't have that many players consistently out of position, give up so many huge plays, and generally not even compete unless there are bigger issues.

You mentioned the youth on offense, and basically all of the skill positions are freshmen and sophomores. The top 5 WRs are a sophomore and 4 freshmen. I think time will fix the problems there. The biggest disappointment has been the OL as they are experienced and should be better than what they've been.

And it goes without saying this is a bad year to have all of these issues.

Back