What have we learned after 8 weeks?

Michigan's "great" defense has lately faced....teams ranking in scoring offense against FBS winning teams

75th, 82nd, 106th, 79th, 57th (Nebraska), 79th, 65th (Western Mich), then Irish with Wimbush.

I mean, maybe little sister should actually play someone (healthy) before opening its yap about great D?

The whole B1G sucks, ND sucks, who are we to play? Some super fast SEC school with a juggernaut of offense?

The whole B1G sucks, ND sucks, who are we to play? Some super fast SEC school with a juggernaut of offense?
There is like one SEC school like that. The rest of the offenses are pedestrian. As far as the quoted above. You just play your schedule. It was ranked as one of the hardest in the country... Nothing you can do about your opponents.

What is have learned....

MSU not that good
Mich not much better but should cash my ov8.5 wins ticket. Gets love that they shouldn’t. Will prob go to playoff and do what MSU did a few years back vs bama.
Wisconsin lacks depth and is pure fade material.
Iowa is better than i expected but maybe not since they play in weaker of the 2 divisions.
PSU extremely overrated and has just one player.
OSU defense is average to below average.
Overall, big 12 not great when you think of what they were suppose to be.

Michigan's "great" defense has lately faced....teams ranking in scoring offense against FBS winning teams

75th, 82nd, 106th, 79th, 57th (Nebraska), 79th, 65th (Western Mich), then Irish with Wimbush.
So in each case, Michigan is what? One of three or four winning FBS teams that the opponent has played? So their performance against Michigan makes up 1/3 or 1/4 of the stat that is being averaged? That's going to skew things significantly.

So in each case, Michigan is what? One of three or four winning FBS teams that the opponent has played? So their performance against Michigan makes up 1/3 or 1/4 of the stat that is being averaged? That's going to skew things significantly.
Yep you might want to run those numbers using games not involving Michigan. Because Michigan's defense has a large role in why those teams scoring offense metrics are as low as they are. Pretty safe at this point to call that defense great IMO.

Despite piss poor in game coaching decisions, Michigan is the real deal. Just enough offense to balance out the best defense in the country. Their bye week can’t come at a better time to give them a chance to exhale off two revenge wins + this draining MSU game.
What Michigan has is a huge yardage differential, and the size of the O/D yardage differential correlates pretty well with success in the playoffs.

OSU in 2014 +2500 yards
Bama '15 +2300
Clemson '16 +2900
Bama '17 +2600

And that's after two playoff games and a conference championship game in each case.

For this year, Alabama's at +2050, Clemson's at +1800, and Michigan is at +1600. Georgia, Washington State, Miami, and TAMU are at +1100, and Washington and Iowa are at +1000. Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Penn State, Oregon, and LSU are under 1000. So Michigan's number is elite.

The problem is Michigan has been dominant in this stat once or twice previously under Harbaugh at this point in the season and then reeled off a few unexpected losses.

Last edited:

I mean, maybe little sister should actually play someone (healthy) before opening its yap about great D?

They’re 1st in defensive S&P+ and have held every opponent well bellow it’s average production ytd. Based on the evidence to date, we can say they have a GREAT defense. If you want to debate that you’re just making a concerted effort at being combative.

prior to the win Saturday Michigan was 0-17 vs ranked opponents on the road guys. That doesn’t equal greatness today tomorrow or next week. This team hasn’t done anything yet if you evaluate it objectively. Potential is there for sure but accomplishments are short to this point. Having ND, MSU and osu all on road in a season is tough. Let’s see what happens moving forward. What is he 2-5 vs the teams that matter. That is yuck.

There is like one SEC school like that. The rest of the offenses are pedestrian. As far as the quoted above. You just play your schedule. It was ranked as one of the hardest in the country... Nothing you can do about your opponents.

That was my point.

SEC offenses always look much better out of conference and in bowls, though. Talent level is still the highest overall. On both sides of the ball. Big 10 and ACC are the closest. PAC 12 and Big 12 way behind. Just look at the NFL roster numbers by conference.

As for this year Alabama is just on another level. Best offense they’ve had. Clemson could possibly contend. Michigan defense is great. Not sure they’d be able to score enough. Unfortunately, I think it’s basically a done deal already.

Missouri has a really good offense too by the way. They always roll up numbers out of conference. Like they did at Purdue. But they look mediocre in the SEC, hence the 0-3 record. Same with ole miss.

Missouri has a really good offense too by the way. They always roll up numbers out of conference. Like they did at Purdue. But they look mediocre in the SEC, hence the 0-3 record. Same with ole miss.

I remember somebody saying that they were gonna miss a crucial part of their offense for the Memphis game...guess it didn‘t matter

As for this year Alabama is just on another level. Best offense they’ve had. Clemson could possibly contend. Michigan defense is great. Not sure they’d be able to score enough. Unfortunately, I think it’s basically a done deal already.

My impression that Michigan has some receivers capable of making big plays (dpj, black) but the playcalling is way too shy to go for the deep pass (tried and worked once I believe vs msu) often enough. Mich needs to do this more often to stretch the field and make its tight ends that more effective

prior to the win Saturday Michigan was 0-17 vs ranked opponents on the road guys. That doesn’t equal greatness today tomorrow or next week. This team hasn’t done anything yet if you evaluate it objectively. Potential is there for sure but accomplishments are short to this point. Having ND, MSU and osu all on road in a season is tough. Let’s see what happens moving forward. What is he 2-5 vs the teams that matter. That is yuck.
This goes both ways though. First, rankings are BS. I'll take last week as an example. Does anyone realy think Michigan St was the 24th best team in country? Sure some do. Many do not. If not for a fluke win at PSU they are not ranked. I personally do not take that as a win against a ranked team past week. It's better to look at things after the season. Nobody will think that win was great other than a conference road game win when Michigan State is playing in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl or in the Motor City Bowl around Christmas.

Back