What have we learned after 8 weeks?

I watched very little today but heres what i saw.

Michigan State had weather, HF and almost everything else in their favor to win this game today and they didn't. Because they are a very bad offensive football team who probably should have two more losses on the year (USU, PSU). Michigan clearly has the best defense in CFB and to head into November in this position is almost surreal. Just have to beat OSU of course but OSU will have three major advantages: HF, psychological, and of course the refs (Delaney). Great time for a bye week for us and getting some stars healthy for stretch run.

If James Franklin keeps it up and Jeff Brohm keeps it up, JB may be the next coach at PSU. I saw the tail end of IU game trying to cash my two bets (IU +15 and ML) and we almost hit the window for both, because of Franklin. That guy is unbelievably bad holding leads in the 4th. He throws the ball three times up 12 with 4 minutes left in a driving wind storm, running 30 seconds off clock. His defense gives up a 90 yard td drive to close within 5 for IU. IU onside kick recovered by PSU but then Franklin called timeout so they get to re-kick. Re-kick recovered by PSU but guy tries running with it to score and fumbles it back to IU. IU had 48 seconds and a TO to go 60 yards, but its IU. Any other team outside of Illini, Rutgers and IU probably win that game. I hear earlier he went for 1 when he should have went for 2 to go up 7 instead of 6 and the XP gets blocked. Michigan will beat them by 24 off a bye with big revenge, much like 2016. Please give me a night game and a spread at 14 or less, guessing 10?

What can you say about Purdue, did what PSU should have done, blew them the F out. Some coaches get it, some don't. Stay aggressive, use your best players relentlessly. Huge win for the PU program, good to see. Now they get to go to Sparty off the biggest high of their lives, probably a game Sparty wins tbh. Everyone down on them and all over PU, Sparty at its best when no one thinks they're good. But #4 on PU is fascinating to watch, probably my favorite CFB player right now. Wow, what a night there. This may be it for CUM, one more regular season or B1G champ loss this year, Haskins goes pro, he's gotta be donezo. The B1G has him figured out now, time to bail.

Ugly weather always an advantage for a team that plays ugly and has less talent on the field. Its just a fact. Plus they got a delay, another advantage for the home team. Ask PSU about the 4 hour delay last year and the difference both teams had during it. It may be neutral as both teams have to play in it, but don't get it twisted, sloppier weather helps sloppier teams all day and twice on Saturday's, Michigan should have and did overcome it. Bout time.

PSU was gonna lose either way just like they lost at home to more injured version of same Spartans. Peanut-led PSU doesn‘t handle big losses well

Highly paid coaches just have no understanding of strategy and clock management. Detroit 187 successfully discusses James Franklin's idiocy. Kevin Sumlin also screwed up last night. Arizona down by 1. Once UCLA gets the first down with 3 minutes left and Arizona had no time outs, they should have let UCLA score so they would have full 2 + minutes to score a TD and 2 point conversion. Instead, they let UCLA run out the clock
  • 1st & 10 at ARIZ 45
    (3:26 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for no gain to the Ariz 45

• (3:26 - 4th) Timeout ARIZONA, clock 03:26
  • 2nd & 10 at ARIZ 45
    (3:20 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for 4 yds to the Ariz 41

• (3:20 - 4th) Timeout ARIZONA, clock 03:20
  • 3rd & 6 at ARIZ 41
    (3:11 - 4th) Wilton Speight pass complete to Caleb Wilson for 17 yds to the Ariz 24 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at ARIZ 24
    (2:25 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for 5 yds to the Ariz 19
  • 2nd & 5 at ARIZ 19
    (1:35 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for 6 yds to the Ariz 13 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at ARIZ 13
    (0:59 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for a loss of 2 yards to the Ariz 15
  • 2nd & 12 at ARIZ 15
    (0:21 - 4th) TEAM run for a loss of 5 yards to the Ariz 20

Last edited:
Iowa is a good football team. If they develop their ability to run the football (Ferentz specialty is offensive line and they played much better in run blocking yesterday against the Terps) and are more balanced on offense, they will be that much more dangerous.

Tulsa - After the performance of Skipper in key spots a couple of weeks ago, the Hurricanes made a change to young Boomer. Boomer isn't close to ready. Skipper gives Tulsa by far their best chance to win football games in the now. At 1-6, Tulsa may very well just be playing for the future regardless, but the difference between the two will be about a FG difference in my lines when they play. They held Arkansas to 327 yards yesterday and lost by 23 points. That is a difficult undertaking for any team to accomplish. They are 1-6 but not nearly that bad of a football team overall. Good along both the offensive and defensive lines.

Nebraska - I know at least one person at CTG has been mentioning their potential 2h of the season value. I wasn't focused on this game but I probably saw a quarter of the plays out of the corner of my eye on one of the screens. Things are clicking for them offensively and keep getting better. Team has still bought in and as they learn Frost's system are likely to be pretty good remainder of this year, and if they can either develop defensively, recruit defensively, or get the right transfers for their secondary, they will be a force next season.

UTEP - Getting closer. You can see the competitiveness is there for this team right now and the stats of the last few weeks bear it out. Pretty funny but they ended up with no Locksley and no Metz and were still driving for a game tying score (likely go for two I would imagine for the win) late on the road in Ruston. I like the team development and execution I am seeing. Gives me hope for developing into a 4 win team next year.

NCSU/Clemson - Just not on par with Clemson at the moment (I thought they were close enough to have a shot heading into the game, wrong) and didn't coach to win. NCST gave way too much cushion on the outside to Clemson receivers allowing Lawrence to just play pitch and catch all game. Teams are going to have pressure Lawrence and/or play tighter coverage as he can make those easy throws consistently. He is going to be a really good pocket passer for Clemson. And it looks like that the further that Clemson gets from Bryant the better they are at adjusting from an offense that utilized a lot of QB running to an offense more suitable to what Lawrence can do really well and and what he cannot do very well.

Wake Forest - They have a "front running" offense. They are a great over team when they are facing below average defense (much more than your average offense facing below average defense) but when they face above average defense they struggle to block well enough and separate enough, and when the kid at qb starts getting a little happy feet and confidence lost they just struggle to be good on that side of the ball. The other side of the ball leaves a lot to be desired.

Florida State - Seems to keep getting a little better with understanding of schemes each week. Play on the field does not yet meet the talent on the field, so they can still keep improving, but they are definitely improving in execution.

Mississippi State - I have sort of noticed this prior to this week but heading into the year, I thought the experience of Fitzgerald would be a big benefit to this club but it is quite clear that he just has not developed at all as a passer and he lost a step to his running ability in the offseason somehow. As teams have figured out he cannot throw, they have been able to load up to stop the good running backs. Disappointing team to be honest.

UAB - hidden little gem of a football team. Run the ball really well and play pretty darn good defense, and they try on every down.

Kentucky - Mentioned this heading into the week. UK has a great running game and plays great defense but they are not the type of offensive team that you can expect to run away with football games against conference foes. In other words, they are generally going to be much better in the underdog role than the favorite role.

Highly paid coaches just have no understanding of strategy and clock management. Detroit 187 successfully discusses James Franklin's idiocy. Kevin Sumlin also screwed up last night. Arizona down by 1. Once UCLA gets the first down with 3 minutes left and Arizona had no time outs, they should have let UCLA score so they would have full 2 + minutes to score a TD and 2 point conversion. Instead, they let UCLA run out the coach

• 1st & 10 at ARIZ 45
    (3:26 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for no gain to the Ariz 45

• (3:26 - 4th) Timeout ARIZONA, clock 03:26
  • 2nd & 10 at ARIZ 45
    (3:20 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for 4 yds to the Ariz 41

• (3:20 - 4th) Timeout ARIZONA, clock 03:20
  • 3rd & 6 at ARIZ 41
    (3:11 - 4th) Wilton Speight pass complete to Caleb Wilson for 17 yds to the Ariz 24 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at ARIZ 24
    (2:25 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for 5 yds to the Ariz 19
  • 2nd & 5 at ARIZ 19
    (1:35 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for 6 yds to the Ariz 13 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at ARIZ 13
    (0:59 - 4th) Joshua Kelley run for a loss of 2 yards to the Ariz 15
  • 2nd & 12 at ARIZ 15
    (0:21 - 4th) TEAM run for a loss of 5 yards to the Ariz 20

Holding a UCLA -8 ticket, I was saying the same thing last night.

Another fantastic weekend of the best sport on the planet. It's so entertaining to see students having the time of their lives like the WSU and Purdue fans were doing. For WSU students it was a two-day party. I saw thousands of them late Friday night when ESPN cut in for some live segments from Pullman, all raising hell and having a great time.

Best coaching move of the week--An Arkansas player pulled one of the moron plays you see over and over and over every weekend. Tulsa player made a fair catch and the Ark player was standing about two feet away when he did. The Ark player started talking and shaking his head as if he had done something, then, for no apparent reason, punched the Tulsa player. Bang, costs his team 15 yards for no reason when they are desperate for a win. When he got to the sideline Morrison pointed to the dressing room and said, "keep going, I don't want to see you again today." Threw him out of the game. Wish more coaches would do the same. We might not see so many moron plays if they did.

Army goes for it on all fourth downs and less than 2. I love it. Wish more teams would do it. When they finally lost their nerve and punted a couple of times in the fourth quarter it eventually cost them the game. Brohm showed what happens when a team with an early lead keeps attacking instead of playing not to lose.

I'm mystified by the fact Ohio State has no running game. He has TWO great backs, the threat of a great passing game, a roster full of the highly recruitied O-linemen, and yet they appear to have no running game at all. Haskins threw 74 passes yesterday, a new Ohio State record. From Woody Hayes' day until this year they have always had a running game. Now they don't. Amazing.

And someone needs to stage an intervention with Urban. Every week he looks like he is in physical agony, including dropping to his knees with head pains. If he had any other job in the real world someone would force him to rest before he dies from whatever is affecting him.

Back to moron plays, how can any player be so dumb he can't learn not to lead with their helmet? This has been a rule for five or six years at least, meaning it has been the rule for the entire career of any current player, and yet guys do it over and over and over. The rule is clear and easy to read, it is based on sound and critical health reasons, the players are shown videos explaining the rule every year, and yet they do it over and over. The only thing I can think of is that some coaches must feel it's worth a penalty and losing a player if he can hurt an important player on the other team so they wink when they explain the rule.

Lawrence makes Clemson better. He may make a mistake now and then from lack of experience, but he can really throw the ball and has the instinct to understand where to throw it.

Mike Leach is a national treasure. He never gets a highly recruited player, but he always finds guys he can coach up and turn into guys who play hard, play smart, and are perfect for his system. It's entertaining to see him on the sideline with a tiny piece of paper about the size of half a napkin while coaches on the other side have a hunk of laminated cardboard the size of a menu in a tourist restaurant, and yet his offense is unstoppable.

Not sure how he is doing it, but UCLA no longer looks like a trainwreck.

BAR, I agree with you and other guys above who point out the sheer stupidity of allowing the clock to run out when you know you are 100% sure to lose if you do, instead of letting the other team score. I have never understood it and I never will. The only explanation I can think of is that stupidity is so common among football coaches they don't even understand the concept. If they did they would quit doing it.

Tua is an amazing QB, but it helps that Bama is one of the few teams that won't play a WR, no matter how fast and flashy he is, unless he can catch the ball. The Bama receivers made a lot of hard catches look easy yesterday just like they do every week. It's a pleasure to watch them after seeing games all day and watching balls bounce off the hands of guys who look the part but can't catch when the pressure is on.

Last edited:
NCSU/Clemson - Just not on par with Clemson at the moment (I thought they were close enough to have a shot heading into the game, wrong) and didn't coach to win. NCST gave way too much cushion on the outside to Clemson receivers allowing Lawrence to just play pitch and catch all game. Teams are going to have pressure Lawrence and/or play tighter coverage as he can make those easy throws consistently. He is going to be a really good pocket passer for Clemson. And it looks like that the further that Clemson gets from Bryant the better they are at adjusting from an offense that utilized a lot of QB running to an offense more suitable to what Lawrence can do really well and and what he cannot do very well.
Bryant consumed too many of the carries to the detriment of the tailbacks, who get better yardage than Bryant ever did even with the extra blocker. He would generally keep on the zone read whether that was the right read or not. Now we're seeing the run game blossom with fewer QB runs and an OL that features some real road graders even on the second string, like Cervenka who played the whole game-winning drive against Syracuse and Bockhorst who played half that drive. Pass protection for Clemson is not at the same level as the run blocking, which is a problem since Lawrence is still learning to deal with pressure. Right guard Simpson credits Lawrence's ability to throw downfield as one reason for the improved run game as well.

Lest I jinx the Tigers, I'll withhold further comment unless and until we beat a very talented and underachieving FSU team next Saturday. That game scares me.

South Florida is horrible. Hard to believe they haven’t lost. I hope the line this week comes in UH minus 7 or less. Also looking forward to ISU - TT number. Hope TT is getting more than a fg

The Utah St cover/over machine should get back on track this week. Don't see NM having any answers on defense for them.

Something is wrong with Urban Meyer. He felt abandoned by the university after the whole ZS controversy. I think its affecting his performance and management of the coaches and players. They are getting poor play on the OL and @ LB which is directly related to his friends that are assistants (Greg S and Bill Davis). I think there's a chance he's gone at the end of the year. Good riddance if he does go.

Michigan State is just flat out awful on offense. I don't think they get it fixed, or even can get it fixed. Bad spot for Purdue this week but I'd have the Boilermakers or nobody...

If Khaki Pants can't beat OSU this year, he never will. Buckeye fans better pray for sunny skies and no wind.

Michigan State is just flat out awful on offense. I don't think they get it fixed, or even can get it fixed. Bad spot for Purdue this week but I'd have the Boilermakers or nobody...
Their only good offensive player, WR Felton Davis tore his ACL to make matters worse.

You'll never have a better D. 13 outta 14 in the series means the gap is real.

I know all about it lol But I also know we won there 2 years ago if Delaney didn't make the call. And I know the gap between OSU and everyone else in this conference isn't what it was. It's crumbling, like CUM on his knees.

Agree something is wrong with Meyer, Marsski, but don't think it's because he feels THE U abandoned him. He may not admit it because he appears to be so self-centered, but THE U stained their own reputation by pretending to believe him.

I think he has violated his own principles so often for so long it is destroying him. A guy like UM does it once and gets away with it and thinks he has pulled it off without a hitch. Then he does it again and again, but deep inside he knows he is doing the wrong thing. He knows how low he sank with this latest episode.

A sociopath doesn't care, but a guy who starts off with principles then violates them again and again starts to feel sick. At Florida he though it was either heart problems or ulcers. Now he thinks it is headaches. I saw it over and over in guys who came to my law office.

Willie Nelson said it perfectly in one of his songs, "...one day he died, from the poison inside, brought on by the wrong he had done."

The sickness eventually becomes so prevalent it shows on their faces. It isn't showing on UM's face yet the way it does on Krzyzewski at Duke, but it will if it doesn't ruin his health first.

Great song lyric.

I tend to agree with Marsski. I think CUM saw first hand how fast and hard people would turn on him and it rattled him and took away some of his love for the institution and program. He looked so angry and defeated in that presser when he read the prepared statement he was forced to. That is why I don't think it is because of the poison inside (even if that is contributing - and I can attest to my personal levels of self-hate rising every time I commit a wrong, whether I get away with it or not. It is a thing) but because he felt in his own mind that he was trying to do the right thing by the university and his assistant coach and a past mentor. And then he had to take a public humiliation. Worse, he probably took a public humiliation rather than walking away because he thought he a decent chance at a Championship this year. Then he realized his Oline wasn't what he thought. Then he lost Bosa. Then he realized he cannot even sneak linebackers up because they aren't good enough and the db's aren't good enough. So I think he is hurting because he took the humiliation and it will all be for nothing in the end. All speculation but that man does not look healthy while coaching a game. Him watching TOSU against Minny looks like I do with my TOSU minus 4 or 5 scores ticket.

I didn't say he was a victim. I think he thinks he is a victim which is taking away his love of university and program. I think he feels neutered and humiliated.

I think UCF -21 was the best "bad beat" that I have ever been the beneficiary of. I guess I lost track of some of that game because as I read the play by play of the fourth quarter it was horrifyingly bad luck for ECU backers. Holy crap.

Only team with a sliver of hope agsinst Bama is LSU. Not convinced they can score enough but d is solid, although missing their LB for the 1h due to targeting will hurt.

I'm not saying Urban is a victim. I'm saying HE THINKS he's a victim. He absolutely thinks the university hung him out to dry, go back and look at that press conference when he acted like a horse's ass. I agree 100% that the university stained its own reputation by keeping him and I feel ashamed about it as a proud graduate of THE OSU.

You Michigan guys do crack me up with the conspiracy theories. JT Barrett got that first down. Barely, but he got it. Play better and you don't have to talk about aliens in the locker at Area 51.

Urban Meyer is done only if he decides to be. The university has made their deal with the devil already.

- You can’t redeem timeouts at the half for groceries, tickets to a Broadway play or anything else. Use the damned things. Clock management taught by Mack Brown is not the way to go. Watched TCU just milk the clock in the last 3 minutes of the game Saturday while Lincoln Riley, with one of the most explosive offenses in the business, just sat on his three timeouts waiting for TCU to run out the clock, and they did with a FG.

- Please coaches, put your QB under center when you need a 1/2 yard on 4th down. I want it to be 4th and 1/2, not 4th and 6th when you put him in the gun. Just get under center and sneak the damn thing.

- If there is a worse passer in D-1 football than Nick Fitzgerald then I’ve not seen him. Figured LSU would suffocate Miss. State because of his ineptness. About as easy an offense to defensively scheme for as there is. Fitzgerald run right, Fitzgerald run left, Fitzgerald throw a pick.

- Thank you, ESPN, for getting you score ticker update figured out. Shouldn’t have been that difficult, but at least you finally got it right.

- Urban looks cooked. He may actually have a real heart problem now. Not sure how much longer he’ll continue, at least at Ohio State.

- Finally, I’m still not there yet having an official with a pony tail, especially the most important one wearing the white cap. (See Navy game this past weekend.) I guess I’m a dinosaur, but oh well.

HI GANG...I'M GOING TO MAKE THIS SIMPLE. THIS CAN BE A THREAD FOR WHAT WE LEARNED AND WE CAN ALL BENEFIT FROM IT FOR THE PURPOSES OF CAPPING GAMES OR WINNING MONEY...OR IT COULD TURN INTO A CRYFEST / DEFEND OUR FAVORITE SCHOOL / BUT HE DID THAT, OH BUT HE DID THAT THREAD.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT...I AM GOING TO FUCKING DELETE ANYTHING I THINK IS FUCKING STUPID. THE DEFINITION OF FUCKING STUPID IS THIS: SOMETHING THAT THE AVERAGE CTG READER 1. DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT , 2. IS WHINING LIKE A BABY , 3. IS SO REPETITIVE THAT THE 95% OF US HERE TO LEARN AND MAKE MONEY WANT TO WALK AWAY FROM THE SITE.

IF YOU DON'T REALLY LIKE THESE RULES, YOU CAN FILE A COMPLAINT TO THE PARTNERS. THERE IS A TOLL FREE LINE SET UP FOR ANYONE INTERESTED: 888-YOU-STFU

ENOUGH OF THE GOD DAMN BULLSHIT GOING ON WITH THIS FUCKING PLACE. I'M HERE TO WIN AND MAKE MONEY AND LEARN SOMETHING FOR OTHER EDUCATED MEMBERS...NOT HEAR PEOPLE WHINE AND DEFEND...GO TO ANOTHER SOCIAL MEDIA FORUM FOR THAT HAPPY HORSESHIT.

AND QUITE HONESTLY, ANYONE WITH A PROBLEM WITH THIS, I DONT GIVE A SHIT AND ALSO, YOU PROBABLY ARE HERE FOR THE WRONG REASONS. SO DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS ON YOUR WAY OUT.

HI GANG...I'M GOING TO MAKE THIS SIMPLE. THIS CAN BE A THREAD FOR WHAT WE LEARNED AND WE CAN ALL BENEFIT FROM IT FOR THE PURPOSES OF CAPPING GAMES OR WINNING MONEY...OR IT COULD TURN INTO A CRYFEST / DEFEND OUR FAVORITE SCHOOL / BUT HE DID THAT, OH BUT HE DID THAT THREAD.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT...I AM GOING TO FUCKING DELETE ANYTHING I THINK IS FUCKING STUPID. THE DEFINITION OF FUCKING STUPID IS THIS: SOMETHING THAT THE AVERAGE CTG READER 1. DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT , 2. IS WHINING LIKE A BABY , 3. IS SO REPETITIVE THAT THE 95% OF US HERE TO LEARN AND MAKE MONEY WANT TO WALK AWAY FROM THE SITE.

IF YOU DON'T REALLY LIKE THESE RULES, YOU CAN FILE A COMPLAINT TO THE PARTNERS. THERE IS A TOLL FREE LINE SET UP FOR ANYONE INTERESTED: 888-YOU-STFU

ENOUGH OF THE GOD DAMN BULLSHIT GOING ON WITH THIS FUCKING PLACE. I'M HERE TO WIN AND MAKE MONEY AND LEARN SOMETHING FOR OTHER EDUCATED MEMBERS...NOT HEAR PEOPLE WHINE AND DEFEND...GO TO ANOTHER SOCIAL MEDIA FORUM FOR THAT HAPPY HORSESHIT.

AND QUITE HONESTLY, ANYONE WITH A PROBLEM WITH THIS, I DONT GIVE A SHIT AND ALSO, YOU PROBABLY ARE HERE FOR THE WRONG REASONS. SO DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS ON YOUR WAY OUT.

Wow that Jets loss yesterday really hit you hard didn't it lol.

:abouttime:

Wow that Jets loss yesterday really hit you hard didn't it lol.

Just trying to get things back on the rails. I always try to make decisions based on the same factors I evaluate members come to this site for...to learn something, to make myself think...and to help me become a better bettor.

I have zero patience for the total out of control BS fest some of these threads have become.

NCSU/Clemson - Just not on par with Clemson at the moment (I thought they were close enough to have a shot heading into the game, wrong) and didn't coach to win. NCST gave way too much cushion on the outside to Clemson receivers allowing Lawrence to just play pitch and catch all game. Teams are going to have pressure Lawrence and/or play tighter coverage as he can make those easy throws consistently.
State likes to play quarters, and they were focusing on taking the run away, so they had to compromise somewhere. Their pressure did get to Lawrence a number of times.

Despite piss poor in game coaching decisions, Michigan is the real deal. Just enough offense to balance out the best defense in the country. Their bye week can’t come at a better time to give them a chance to exhale off two revenge wins + this draining MSU game.

I'm not saying Urban is a victim. I'm saying HE THINKS he's a victim. He absolutely thinks the university hung him out to dry, go back and look at that press conference when he acted like a horse's ass. I agree 100% that the university stained its own reputation by keeping him and I feel ashamed about it as a proud graduate of THE OSU.

You Michigan guys do crack me up with the conspiracy theories. JT Barrett got that first down. Barely, but he got it. Play better and you don't have to talk about aliens in the locker at Area 51.
It wasn't even about that. It was about the officials that day. It would have never made it that far at all to be honest. Crooked ass Jim Delaney. But, I digress... Back to the subject at hand...Week 8 learning.

Agree on the Michigan D. One of the best in the country.

LSU is just as good, with even more speed and better D-backs.
Not sure how much faster than can be than Mich defense.

And they're DB's are good...real good, we have the highest rated corner duo in the country though.

Michigan's "great" defense has lately faced....teams ranking in scoring offense against FBS winning teams

75th, 82nd, 106th, 79th, 57th (Nebraska), 79th, 65th (Western Mich), then Irish with Wimbush.

I mean, maybe little sister should actually play someone (healthy) before opening its yap about great D?

Back