What Have We Learned After 8 Weeks?

Ya a nice Silky cameo.

Will Clemson shut down the GT option with their excellent DL?
I would think that Clemson also took great benefit from the bye week after coming off the loss to Cuse. I thought that Cuse had a great time moving the ball against Clemson but that was with the passing attack from Syracuse they were more worried about.

Cub - who was the dude that QB's USF a decade ago that was your alleged point shaver? Man I hadn't thought about that hole deal in a longgg time. Pretty sure it was you that was convinced. Was that in the Leavitt/BJ Daniels era?

not sure it was me, but Matt Grothe rings a bell.

I really shudder to think of point shaving taking place in CFB but it would not surprised me. Who would have to be roped into a scenario like that for it to take place? I always assumed in CBB it was more realistic with only 5 guys on the floor at a time but in CFB with 11 on a side at a time I figured that would not be such an easy feat.

Rocket-football-logo1.jpg

South Florida game definitely suspect. Not scoring and letting tulane score 3 touchdowns in a row where there was a huge talent disparity reeks of point shaving where line started coming down on game day. Gonna need to go back through the schedule to see if there were other times this year and will keep an eye on it anytime USF is a big favorite.

I tracked all their line movement last night, I'll post accordingly.

Nothing gets my juices flowing like a good point shaving potential situation!

My initial question was what personnel would have to be involved for it to happen since there are so much more players on the field for football. Running back definitely makes sense.

I
I can give you several more that are unconfirmed but I would say there was an 80% chance it happened.

That isn't even counting that weird ass FSU year a few years back.
I would never be able to prove it, but 1st Hs in Jameis' 2nd year was blatantly obvios.5

But don't go and leave your kids unattended

Has nothing to do with anyone there or who has been there for a long time. So not even close to being funny. Time to let that sthpid shit go. People were hurt and people are paying the price. Move on, PSU is one of the nicest campuses in the country and one of the best environments. Plus you get a great education.

Has nothing to do with anyone there or who has been there for a long time. So not even close to being funny. Time to let that sthpid shit go. People were hurt and people are paying the price. Move on, PSU is one of the nicest campuses in the country and one of the best environments. Plus you get a great education.

Super friendly people overall, I think it's the quaker influence. And plus you get incredible cheesesteaks :)

Fresno State dominating SDS was no fluke. That is a very good looking team. They pounded SDS into submission. They have an O-line made up of guys who all look like they started as tight ends, then lifted weights until they got up to 300. No fat on any of them, just big, quick, athletic looking guys.

Baylor backup QB looked like the real deal when he came in and almost won the game for Baylor. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get the start this week. They are starting to look more like a Matt Ruhle team every week.

Riley Ferguson is playing games with the injury list at Oklahoma. His overall plan seems to be to not even mention when guys are injured unless the press already knows it, and to pretend like guys who are not going to play are progressing well and will probably play. He kept the fact hidden last week that Mayfield did not practice all week.

Mayfield is telling the press he no longer has hard feelings about Texas Tech and their staff, but he does. If he can run up the score he will.

The new K-State QB can run like a deer--may be the fastest guy in the Big 12--but he throws like one too.

A lot of teams have come out of the bye week looking like different teams and some have used the bye week to turn their season around. Arizona and Arizona State are two prime examples.

Just about every Power Five team has improved during their bye and won the following week. Among teams coming off a bye this week are:
Ohio State
N C State
Georgia
Florida (Fla and Ga play each other)
Stanford
Washington
Clemson
Auburn
S Carolina
Nebraska

Last edited:
Destruction of USC @ NotreDame:
Everybody has watched USC underachieve this year....I would note that 11 starters were missing or playing with injury for USC in South Bend, USC forced to start a 4th string true frosh at DT, with obviously no rotation behind him and 2 True Frosh forced to play on OL. So, yes the USC team was a train wreck last week, but it is still in the driver's seat for RoseBowl with a lot to play for....Love ran for 300 yds against Sun Devils and Carr practiced for the first time in 3 weeks today....I think USC is built much more to play against Sun Devils than this year's ND team. Predict USC cover's SunDevils or Helton may need to Uber home from LAX like the last time USC lost in Tempe....USC 0-6 in last 6 weeks ATS...that is tough to accomplish.

Everybody has watched USC underachieve this year....I would note that 11 starters were missing or playing with injury for USC in South Bend, USC forced to start a 4th string true frosh at DT, with obviously no rotation behind him and 2 True Frosh forced to play on OL. So, yes the USC team was a train wreck last week, but it is still in the driver's seat for RoseBowl with a lot to play for....Love ran for 300 yds against Sun Devils and Carr practiced for the first time in 3 weeks today....I think USC is built much more to play against Sun Devils than this year's ND team. Predict USC cover's SunDevils or Helton may need to Uber home from LAX like the last time USC lost in Tempe....USC 0-6 in last 6 weeks ATS...that is tough to accomplish.

Appreciate the thoughts!

Thanks, i'm on board! I actually have to cover this game. Hope you don't mind if I use your awesome analysis as a launching point? Will USC be healthier on vs ASU, though? Helluva long injury list on Donsbest! A lot of guys listed as questionable, a corner downgraded to doubtful. Are you optimistic despite that?

Last edited:
A lot of guys listed as questionable, a corner downgraded to doubtful.

Read at one spot that Isiah Langley will replace Marshall. He's played a bunch, not sure how much was ST and how much was in pass D. Never started. Marshall on the other hand had started every game since he's been on campus (2-1/2 years). But then read in from the article below that they may move Ajene Harris to CB and put somebody else, Yakili Ross, at nickle. Harris started some last year. Don't know much about Ross. USC roster bio says he will compete for PT at safety.

Some other notes:

GUSTIN RUNS

Outside linebacker Porter Gustin is no longer in a walking boot.

Gustin took part in some light running at practice on Tuesday for the first time since last month, when he suffered a toe fracture and torn biceps.

He has been out for five consecutive games.

QUICK HITS

Helton said “there is hope” that starting defensive tackle Josh Fatu could return at Arizona State after he was out for Notre Dame with a concussion. Fatu began running on a treadmill, but has not practiced. … Freshman running back Stephen Carr, who has been out with a foot injury since a loss at Washington State last month, participated in about half of practice. Helton said Carr has made “significant improvement” since last week and did not rule out a possible return against the Sun Devils. “He did some change of direction for the first time,” Helton said. Carr had rushed for 298 yards in the first four games. … It was 103 degrees at the start of USC’s practice on Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/24/usc-cornerback-iman-marshall-out-with-mcl-sprain/

Fresno State dominating SDS was no fluke. That is a very good looking team. They pounded SDS into submission. They have an O-line made up of guys who all look like they started as tight ends, then lifted weights until they got up to 300. No fat on any of them, just big, quick, athletic looking guys.

Baylor backup QB looked like the real deal when he came in and almost won the game for Baylor. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get the start this week. They are starting to look more like a Matt Ruhle team every week.

Riley Ferguson is playing games with the injury list at Oklahoma. His overall plan seems to be to not even mention when guys are injured unless the press already knows it, and to pretend like guys who are not going to play are progressing well and will probably play. He kept the fact hidden last week that Mayfield did not practice all week.

Mayfield is telling the press he no longer has hard feelings about Texas Tech and their staff, but he does. If he can run up the score he will.

The new K-State QB can run like a deer--may be the fastest guy in the Big 12--but he throws like one too.

A lot of teams have come out of the bye week looking like different teams and some have used the bye week to turn their season around. Arizona and Arizona State are two prime examples.

Just about every Power Five team has improved during their bye and won the following week. Among teams coming off a bye this week are:
Ohio State
N C State
Georgia
Florida (Fla and Ga play each other)
Stanford
Washington
Clemson
Auburn
S Carolina
Nebraska

Auburn has their bye this week. Will play @ aTm next week

Back