What Have We Learned After 8 Weeks?

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
For starters, this isn't a good box score for an entire game:

First downs 4
Passing yards 46
Rushing yards -25
Total yards 21

Speaks some to TCU but more to Kansas. Still hard to believe they went to an Orange Bowl in '08, and won the damn thing. Mangino should have a statue somewhere on that campus.

Arizona State is the real deal. So is Notre dame, their rush attack, their offensive line.

Darnold is a turnover machine, usc sucks.

Fade Colorado. Every time.

Some teams sandbag against weaker competition (Penn State)

Ok State has a respectable defense, but Ehlinger may be running out of gas with all the hits he's taking

Wazzou's offense is in some kind of funk we should be wary about

LJ Scott has found his groove.

Public road favorites are the wordt backdoor cover liability

Bye weeks only help so much vs GT's option

On that subject of stadiums I'd like to go to...would love to be in that environment in Happy Valley. That White Out thing is one fantastic atmosphere.

LJ Scott had 21 carries for 69 yards.

Yes, I am not counting the 18 yard TD run IU let him have to get ball back where he was a bonehead. With that being said, he is getting a bit better. That line isn't great so any tough yards he can get helps them a lot.

Wazzou's offense is what it is. Lots of plays, burn a lot of clock. Obviously last week was very weird but they don't really set up to be a high-scoring team, moreso one that controls the ball.

Notre Dame is really good. Let us not forget that in all the 'USC sucks' narratives.

I have no idea what to think of Arizona State(as far as are they a legit top 15 team). They have had some nice defensive performances though.

Penn State season comes down to 3 weeks. They got leg one, now they get the real tough leg and they have the rivalry game in East Landfill still. Just very business-like up to this point. We'll see what wrinkles they saved for next week as well, I'll be very interested.

Poor Indiana. Just, poor Indiana.

Rutgers has won a few conference games,. Good for them. Brohm is a complete shit stain so it feels nice to see that victory for 'Fence The Garden' yesterday.

Miami keeps winning close games. That will count for something later in the season.

WVU gonna WVU...

No Shea now for Ole Piss. An ugly situation just got real bad.

Darnold is overhyped and he's a huge part of USC's offense, makes life harder for himself with his ridiculous mistakes and turnovers he can't even take a snap
Could be wrong but I don't remember Wimbush being able to make the kind of throws as often vs other teams as he could vs USC. USC's defensive line was outmatched and their lack of physicality didn't allow them a chance. Turnover problems poor quarterback play and a soft defense. Imo they suck

Anyone who doesn't realize the penalties imposed on USC are a 10 year sentence are foolish. PSU got a slap on the wrist in comparison

Michigan State winning with a combination of good defense and a lot of luck. Doubt they win in good weather against Michigan, and Indiana starts the wrong QB, and makes a bad fourth down decision that gives msu hope where they probably had little chance to win (let alone cover).

Anyone who doesn't realize the penalties imposed on USC are a 10 year sentence are foolish. PSU got a slap on the wrist in comparison

Yep. There should have never been football in Happy Valley again after that. How do you ever punish a team for lack of institutional control again when you let people who do the absolute minimum to stop pedophilia within their program go basically unpunished?

Michigan State winning with a combination of good defense and a lot of luck. Doubt they win in good weather against Michigan, and Indiana starts the wrong QB, and makes a bad fourth down decision that gives msu hope where they probably had little chance to win (let alone cover).

Ok sure blame the weather. Both teams played in the same conditions I don't find that claim justified at all. Sparty is a better team with a more balanced offense and a defense that has been flying under the radar all season

Regarding the slow start vs Indiana (edit)... I think Sparty was just dealing with some distraction from Scott's arrest/ looking ahead to next week

Ok sure blame the weather. Both teams played in the same conditions I don't find that claim justified at all. Sparty is a better team with a more balanced offense and a defense that has been flying under the radar all season. I think Sparty was just dealing with some distraction from Scott's arrest/ looking ahead to next week

Probably. Michigan State is always looking ahead when they play Michigan.

Sorry Frank.

-Looks like Purdue scheme worked early in the year but teams have seen enough film now to slow their offense down. Coaching makes a huge difference and it has for them this season but you still have what players you have.

-didn't learn anything new from it but L Jackson is just an amazing college football player. I am more impressed by him weekly. He now has more rushing yards and more rushing tds than Barkley from the QB position......

-you cannot absolutely trust the Texas Tech play calling to be super aggressive anymore. They were shockingly conservative this past week. Same could be said of Oklahoma State, imo.

- I am overrating the Duke passing game. It is not what I had it pegged to be preseason and early year. They are not operating on all cylinders at all

-Babers doing work up in syracuse. He has a gamer at QB and a good offensive system and he seems to be getting good play from the defense. Could be an up and coming program if it is not a stepping stone for him.

- Arizona State defense is sneaky good

-Notre Dame offensive line is beastly

-Tedford looking like coach of the year. I haven't been lining Fresno State games so I haven't been paying that much attention to them but wow at what he is doing there.

Fresno, don't know what to do with em

ASU defense, don't know what to do with em

Fresno meh, i don't get what happened to san diego state, suddenly they're so powerless. I think asu can say more about itself defensively based on the last two weeks

Fresno, don't know what to do with em

ASU defense, don't know what to do with em

Ya ASU has some bad games mixed in there. Look at the offenses faced though .. nmsu, sdsu, texas tech, oregon, stanford, washington and utah. Damn that is a tough schedule.

I was at the USC-ND game. Very surprised how USC was pushed around on both lines. ND was coming off a bye while USC playing 8 straight weeks had to be a factor. The NC St-ND line will be interesting next week. Coming off of this game, there will be a lot of love for ND, think its a great spot for the Wolfpack.

I need to stop betting on FSU. They are who they are at this point.

Agree agree agree agree agree agree

These entitled jerks have given up on their season im pretty sure. And blackman just sucks he still isn't getting any better. Yet i feel like they were still passing too often. But so little offensive scoring against f'ing louisville's D. Thats so pathetic

So much hate for Blackmon. The kid was not an early enrollee, so he does not have a grasp of the playbook. I knew this was going to be a long season. There will be spots to play them, as a Vegas will finally set reasonable lines. I hope they start dogging them. Outside of Clemson, we have a very good shot at winning out. BC and Syracuse, although much improved, should be overvalued in the next couple weeks.

So much hate for Blackmon. The kid was not an early enrollee, so he does not have a grasp of the playbook. I knew this was going to be a long season. There will be spots to play them, as a Vegas will finally set reasonable lines. I hope they start dogging them. Outside of Clemson, we have a very good shot at winning out. BC and Syracuse, although much improved, should be overvalued in the next couple weeks.

Says the man who nailed Louisville ML lol

Says the man who nailed Louisville ML lol
That was a product of the offense we were facing. We do not play well against mobile QBs. You made mention of Hurt being bottled up in game one. He did not push. Bama wanted him to stay in the pocket. He is nowhere as dynamic as Jackson. For that matter, nobody is.

I’ll be on FSU ML, if they are still dogged when my open hits. BCs straight at you rushing attack plays into what we do well.

I wanted to take college players at their word when they say they'll get revenge lol. Because fsu players were openly swearing it. This hurt me in ncaab when montez morris was going on about beating wvu and lost in the second time they played. Its just that their voice is so authoritative

South Florida game definitely suspect. Not scoring and letting tulane score 3 touchdowns in a row where there was a huge talent disparity reeks of point shaving where line started coming down on game day. Gonna need to go back through the schedule to see if there were other times this year and will keep an eye on it anytime USF is a big favorite.

South Florida game definitely suspect. Not scoring and letting tulane score 3 touchdowns in a row where there was a huge talent disparity reeks of point shaving where line started coming down on game day. Gonna need to go back through the schedule to see if there were other times this year and will keep an eye on it anytime USF is a big favorite.
I really shudder to think of point shaving taking place in CFB but it would not surprised me. Who would have to be roped into a scenario like that for it to take place? I always assumed in CBB it was more realistic with only 5 guys on the floor at a time but in CFB with 11 on a side at a time I figured that would not be such an easy feat.

Big west in ncaab is so rigged. Tout once came on covers offering 200 refund on some game uc davis vs usb i think and usb had like a ton of injuries. Game stayed within spread in grossest game ive ever seen

Brian Kelly is showing once again that he is a great coach.

USC is awful and Clay Helton won't last more than 2 more years there.

I really shudder to think of point shaving taking place in CFB but it would not surprised me. Who would have to be roped into a scenario like that for it to take place? I always assumed in CBB it was more realistic with only 5 guys on the floor at a time but in CFB with 11 on a side at a time I figured that would not be such an easy feat.
Cub - who was the dude that QB's USF a decade ago that was your alleged point shaver? Man I hadn't thought about that hole deal in a longgg time. Pretty sure it was you that was convinced. Was that in the Leavitt/BJ Daniels era?

Back to fun stuff....Penn St loses by 4 this weekend. Don't think OSU is good enough to blow a real top quality team out and PSU with a respectable team has historically played well there. Think game goes something similar to last years and Trace>Barrett. Barkley for all the talk here he is average this average that has run for 99 on 12 carries ly vs OSU and for 194 as a freshman in the Shoe. Michigan game didn't beat them up as we all thought as they were laughing and resting starters in the mid 4th quarter. Let down? Doubt that aspect comes into play, they have known all year this is their season and the bye week allowed them to reset for second half of year. Their OC is better than any coach anyone has in the B1G. This game could be epic. Id be shocked if PSU gets blown out, absolutely shocked. Even a close loss keeps them in the top 7 or 8 and still very alive for playoff. A blowout loss would not.

Let's talk about this instead, haha.

Whichever bookmaker hung that opening line of ND -3 should reconsider their line of work.

Or Syracuse +14 at Miami. And that line went up. Baffling in hindsight. Makes me tempted to back UNC. Miami can't win by a lot of points, too much complacency in the middle of games.

Herman better find a running game or Ehlinger may not make it to his 19th birthday. Took another beating this past weekend including a nasty play (referenced below) where his head bounced off the turf. Sorta wondering how clear his head was when he threw that really bad pick to end the game.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas freshman quarterback Sam Ehlinger was held out of practice Sunday and is being evaluated by team doctors for a head injury.

The school announced the move Sunday night. Ehlinger played the entire game Saturday in a 13-10 overtime loss to No. 11 Oklahoma State that ended when he threw an interception in the end zone. Ehlinger had been tackled hard on a run at the start of the possession.

Herman better find a running game or Ehlinger may not make it to his 19th birthday. Took another beating this past weekend including a nasty play (referenced below) where his head bounced off the turf. Sorta wondering how clear his head was when he threw that really bad pick to end the game.

You already mentioned the week before the amount of hits that Ehlinger has been taking. So it's disconcerting to see this issue persist. If Warren continues to disappoint from the backfield (well isn't it the lack of run blocking minus all-american left tackle whose backup is trash) would maybe make sense to rotate between shane and sam?

Back