What have we learned after 7 weeks of the season?

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I said it last week and Friday night and will say it again tonight...

It is gonna be a wild end to the season. I know a few of the front runners have easy schedules coming in till the end but this will be a lot of fun...

You were right. Ton of great finishes even in some of the lower tier games. Should be a lot of fun down the stretch. The Georgia Bama sec championship game should be a good one.

It rained alot today in Michigan

Capture_1508018365522_11403316_ver1.0.PNG

It sure did...

Basically been raining at my house for about 21 hours straight off and on...mostly on...

Jeff Brohm has his team playing so far over their head and that is a good thing. Wisconsin was SO much better than them today and there his kids were fighting and keeping it close.

Josh Rosen thinks he can outrun pass rushers, he can't, stop trying.

Khalil Tate is really really fast.

Move along nothing to see, just a typical Ohio State - Nebraska game.

PAC 12 is terrible. NO birth for this conference unless it’s Stanford.

And I gave up on OSU just in time for them to rip off impressive ATS blowouts.

Dabo and his staff still can't or won't put the best QB on the field. Bryant was too hurt to play, and Cooper just isn't good enough. Meanwhile the 5-star who lit it up last week after Bryant sprained his ankle was glued to the bench. The loss is entirely on the staff, who refused to play the best player (despite their motto to the contrary).

- This is the first year where I won't feel too bad if the undefeated mid major does not make the playoff. The USF and UCF schedules are the biggest jokes since schedules have been made. I will still advocate that the winner of their game will deserve a shot in the playoff if they are undefeated but either one of them would be by far the least deserving mid major team since the system started.

- UNT is going to be a short stepping stone for Littrell. Kids played hard even when it seemed impossible.

- No lead is safe, even when you have a good defense (MSU) and the opponent has a bad comeback offense (Minny). You have to play the full 60 to win easy.

- There are few coaches I have made more money backing than Mike Riley. With that said, he should be let go. There is really no excuse for the product on the field. when one your best players is a QB transfer from tulane who is prone to huge mistakes, you have a problem. I realize these players are recruits from the prior staff, but there is just no way this program should accept getting humiliated at home for the third time this year. You have to make a change because something isn't right. Either the players are horrible or Riley has lost his touch ... he had far, far, far, far better teams with presumably less far, far, far, far less talent than Nebraska. Were I a corn fan, I could accept the offense stinkage given their best player is hurt but how do you give up a td on just about every drive in winds like that? He has to go.

- It really isn't a newly learned thing but the Ville defense is an atrocity. They have the best QB and best college football player in the country and BC has a qb who is barely capable of throwing the nerf football accurately from ten feet away and they got outscored 45-42.

- This is going to be an interesting time to mention it, given they imploded late and gave up a big number but the texas tech defense is better than most years for them.

I have to run. more later

No respect for teams like UW who try to sneak into playoffs with soft schedule but lose as 18 pt faves anyways. Football scum of the earth

O'korn sucks. No repeat of his performance vs Purdue. vs a solid running defense that can contain higdon isaac evans um can only hope to score on defense

Thanks for the lamar jackson hype. Guys who bet on his games know that he sucks. Defenses just need to be smart and focus on covering him in zone reads.

Sometimes you gotta make bets that are instinctively uncomfortable. Oregon state, alabama - a million and last week ohio state vs md with all those points. Oddsmakers understand how big suckers humans are for comfort for flashy teams and the "sure thing"

List of teams to just avoid betting on no matter the spread:

Pitt
Kansas

Whoever is facing Bama or USF

I'm still completely confused by Boise State. Comprehensive victory on the road against a strong, and undefeated, SDSU squad a week after looking mediocre against BYU and getting smoked at home by Virginia. I just don't know what to make of them.

why the Lamar Jackson hate, cavs? He went 19 for 39, 332 yards, 2 tds and 1 int, 22 carries for 180 yards and 3 rushing tds ...8.5 per pass and 8.1 yards per rush.

They should put his name on the heisman right now. He's 7th in passing yards and 27th in rushing yards, with no help on his team.

It's pretty much him vs Bryce Love at this point.

Darnold, Rosen, mayfield and rudolph have basically eliminated themselves.
Barkley as a heisman would be one of the biggest jokes in heisman history. He is averaging 0.2 yards more per carry than Jackson on a team loaded with skill talent, and Jackson still has more than one and half times more rushing tds than Barkley has. If he even gets invited to the ceremony they should melt all the heismans and start over.

I guess Taylor for Wisconsin is in the running?

I feel bad for Eason. Kid got thrown to the wolves last year behind a garbage OL and no WRs (his best WR was a 5'7" punt returner). He works his tail off in the offseason and he clearly beats out Fromm in the spring and every coach agrees. He gets injured after 3 series and he'll never see the field again this year at UGA (most likely will transfer). Now I 100% agree with Fromm staying as the starter and he is the leader of the team but I still feel bad for Eason. I hope it works out for him.

GT could very easily be undefeated and setting up for a huge game vs Clemson in 2 weeks. I won't shed a tear over their 2 close losses though.

UF's uniforms were an abomination and made our Power Ranger unis vs Boise St a few years ago look good.

Just fade Neb and Tenn the rest of the season.

FSU is 104th in penalties per game and it shows. They are brutal to watch. So many pres-snap penalties.

Dungey at Cuse is a blast to watch.

Not enough of people giving love to Jalen Hurts. He has really improved as a passer and is completing 63.1% with 8 TD and only 1 INT. Not to mention he's rushed for 558 yards and 6 TDs.

ND is quietly one of the best 1 loss teams and should be in the top 10 imo. I think they beat USC this weekend and I'm still just not a fan of Helton as a HC.

Bryce Love is a beast and sadly most people couldn't tell you what team he plays for.

Auburn sucks.

- Washington Huskies miss John Ross in a big, big way.

- Vols don't want their coach there anymore. In addition, that coach made a terrible move at QB based on what I saw on the field. Maybe it was a long term decision but if you are playing the best QB currently on your roster, the guy who gives you the best chance to win .. I cannot believe that he made that move. Which means, either the kid just had a horrible game or Jones was desperate. I think it was the later and I think we should start thinking about who they bring in next.

- Every once in awhile you need reminding that a decent rush defense does not always translate into being able to defend the option. Army wore EMU out.

- Saw some very interesting coaching decisions this past week. I will highlight one of them ... down 24-7 with 6 and a half minutes to go and with 4th and 15 from the opponent 40 yard line, texas state opted to punt the ball. I had the under and was quite happy about it but I didn't understand it ... well, because it is stupid.

-Something I do a lt when texting buddies is to do the "I guess the Ga State offense is better than the new england patriots" when they outperform any reasonable expectation on a given week, or similar comments. This past week one of those same buddies was joking about how Tulane wiped the floor Tulsa, and the following week lose to FIU while Tulsa beats Houston relatively easily. So he was joking about why we even bother capping. I admit to asking the same question but on a given week of X number of games you are going to get X number of anomalies and while I will continue to point them out as they are occurring we need to keep in mind the reality of fluctuation of play with these young kids from week to week.

- Notre Dame loss to UGA still looking pretty good. I mentioned it last week or the week before, they are a threat to make the playoff. Very tough schedule so if they run the table it is impossible to deny them really.

- Nevada offense finally gelling. Some folks here had a feeling they would have a big offensive season and I think it is starting to show a little.

why the Lamar Jackson hate, cavs? He went 19 for 39, 332 yards, 2 tds and 1 int, 22 carries for 180 yards and 3 rushing tds ...8.5 per pass and 8.1 yards per rush.

They should put his name on the heisman right now. He's 7th in passing yards and 27th in rushing yards, with no help on his team.

It's pretty much him vs Bryce Love at this point.

Darnold, Rosen, mayfield and rudolph have basically eliminated themselves.
Barkley as a heisman would be one of the biggest jokes in heisman history. He is averaging 0.2 yards more per carry than Jackson on a team loaded with skill talent, and Jackson still has more than one and half times more rushing tds than Barkley has. If he even gets invited to the ceremony they should melt all the heismans and start over.

I guess Taylor for Wisconsin is in the running?

Lamar may accumulate some pretty stats. But i find him woeful against any decent secondary. Against any good defense. He can explode against an awful defense but he's a loser against quality competition.

Bryce Love atm, no doubt.

Barkley often has to rush vs 8 in the box. But hes also so effective catching and at special teams

I feel bad for Eason. Kid got thrown to the wolves last year behind a garbage OL and no WRs (his best WR was a 5'7" punt returner). He works his tail off in the offseason and he clearly beats out Fromm in the spring and every coach agrees. He gets injured after 3 series and he'll never see the field again this year at UGA (most likely will transfer). Now I 100% agree with Fromm staying as the starter and he is the leader of the team but I still feel bad for Eason. I hope it works out for him.

GT could very easily be undefeated and setting up for a huge game vs Clemson in 2 weeks. I won't shed a tear over their 2 close losses though.

UF's uniforms were an abomination and made our Power Ranger unis vs Boise St a few years ago look good.

Just fade Neb and Tenn the rest of the season.

FSU is 104th in penalties per game and it shows. They are brutal to watch. So many pres-snap penalties.

Dungey at Cuse is a blast to watch.

Not enough of people giving love to Jalen Hurts. He has really improved as a passer and is completing 63.1% with 8 TD and only 1 INT. Not to mention he's rushed for 558 yards and 6 TDs.

ND is quietly one of the best 1 loss teams and should be in the top 10 imo. I think they beat USC this weekend and I'm still just not a fan of Helton as a HC.

Bryce Love is a beast and sadly most people couldn't tell you what team he plays for.

Auburn sucks.

Still waiting to see Jalen reliably throw the ball down the field against a decent secondary like FSU

I'm still completely confused by Boise State. Comprehensive victory on the road against a strong, and undefeated, SDSU squad a week after looking mediocre against BYU and getting smoked at home by Virginia. I just don't know what to make of them.

I feel like their D is quite good in a midmajor sense. And there ST return game, very consistent. The O, you never know what you are going to get.

Thankfully we can evaluate players after a full regular season for Heisman rather than half the season. But yes, Lamar Jackson has very little at his disposal and that to me does make him more impressive. In the same sense I think Colt McCoy should've won the Heisman isntead of Bradford. At this point, I don't think Jackson is the Heisman frontrunner. As at QB you can't be at the helm and have your teams lose game. This is why I will NEVER EVER say that Robert Griffin should've won the Heisman. As a QB you are expected and must do more to get your team the wins. A RB, or WR or D player, you don't have to will your team to wins. As a QB you do.

That is a fine position, as long as you acknowledge when, in a rare case, a 2-time player is deserving. Didn't Jason White and Matt Leinhart have better seasons after they won it? I can't remember exactly, but I do remember the conversations about them winning it a second time. I'd have to refresh my memory on their seasons.

Thankfully we can evaluate players after a full regular season for Heisman rather than half the season. But yes, Lamar Jackson has very little at his disposal and that to me does make him more impressive. In the same sense I think Colt McCoy should've won the Heisman isntead of Bradford. At this point, I don't think Jackson is the Heisman frontrunner. As at QB you can't be at the helm and have your teams lose game. This is why I will NEVER EVER say that Robert Griffin should've won the Heisman. As a QB you are expected and must do more to get your team the wins. A RB, or WR or D player, you don't have to will your team to wins. As a QB you do.

As at QB you can't be at the helm and have your teams lose game

Bingo

It's a meaningless award then if that's your criteria, but we've all kinda come to that conclusion anyway at this point. Best player period, or meaningless.

Tebow was the one that worried me about repeating. I thought the media would anoint him.
By the way, Archie finished fifth in Heisman voting as a freshman and may* have stole votes from Buckeye OL John Hicks who was the Heisman runner-up that year. Randy Gradishar was sixth that year as well.

*According to John Hicks

If it's the best player Jackson is heads and shoulders the best above Love who is light years above Barkley...well maybe not, but the PSU desperation makes it seem that way. Just quit the corny, smarmy ceremony and do away with the damn thing. It's useless if Jackson isn't somehow the front runner at this point.

Randy Gradishar reference! Top notch.

I disagreed with RGlll and struggled with, but ultimatley agreed with Lamar Jackson - even though both of their teams lost games because of their poor games. As a QB you can't have poor games and lose IMO. It depends who else and what else is out there however. Last year, there was no other best player, Jackson was it. For RGlll, think I would've gone been Trent Richardson if my memory is right. I know I advocated Suh or Spiller before as well, that was the year that Ingram won it? Ingram was a nice story, but a weak winner to me.

It isn't just the QB on the team winning the most games, but, relative to the other candidates, as a QB you can't be the reason your team is losing games and be a Heisman winner....unless, like last year, that is still the best choice.

A whole host of things goes into it. VK has come out very early and very strong for Jackson, but it doesn;t matter right now. It matters in December. We have more games to grade these players on and their resumes will help us decide.

I think we are reminded weekly, and it is probably the only thing Lou Holtz said that ever made sense...you get a different team every week. In college football you can't always expect bad teams to stay bad, you can't expect good teams to stay good, you can't expect teams off misleading losses to perform better, you can't expect teams off undeserving wins to perform worse. Teams change, variables within those teams change, to a certain degree expect the unexpected.

I just don't think it is close between Jackson and #2. Put Jackson on Okst, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Alabama, Washington, USC (Ya, I said it), Notre Dame, UGA, LSU, Clemson, FSU, .. you name it .. they would most likely be undefeated right now. But he doesn't have that talent around him. And I don't think you can seriously blame him for the ville losses. Just my opinion which is worth 3 cents and leftover burrito but I think his season this year is MUCH better than his season last year.

I know you are correct ... that a Heisman QB probably isn't coming from a 5 loss team. But that is a shame.

I cannot stand the Barkley talk. That one is the most ponderous one. He isn't even outperforming all the backs in his own conference. They are so desperate for him to win for some reason that I cannot figure out. When ESPN starts talking about kick return yards, you know they are trying to influence people into the wrong choice. I might give a nod of the head to talking about those yards if it were a defensive player doing that also, but not a running back, particularly when we know the only reason he is returning any kicks is for heisman positioning. in fact, I am so pissed about him being talked about as a front runner that I will show how lousy he has been.

PAC 12 is terrible. NO birth for this conference unless it’s Stanford.

And I gave up on OSU just in time for them to rip off impressive ATS blowouts.
Pac 12 is closer to being like the Mountain West than the SEC. Just a mediocre conference that has no chance of receiving a Final Four berth unless Darnold and USC go on a crazy run and the NCAA needs ratings.

Pac 12 is closer to being like the Mountain West than the SEC. Just a mediocre conference that has no chance of receiving a Final Four berth unless Darnold and USC go on a crazy run and the NCAA needs ratings.
The SEC is the wrong choice here for a comparison but I get what you are saying

Lamar cannot reliably throw the ball downfield. He is a huge downgrade over Rudolph or Mayfield. Speedy linebackers like those of Texas would contain him if they had some discipline. But that K State backup ran on them too

What's that have to do with this ridiculous trophy?

Lamar is an overrated nobody without a future or a winning team. Hes like that goalkeeper on a crappy team playing vs a juggernaut. Makes amazing saves and gets hot numbers but just looks good sometimes and nothing more. Hot numbers running but can't be relied to drive against a good D let alone win. His performance vs Houston last year and Clemson and NC Stste says everythinng. Otherwise he jacks his numbers up vs crappy competition like unc. fuck lamar jackson

172 yards against akron
211 yards against iowa

Ok .. two great games. Tip of the cap on those, but if two great games is the criteria, I can find quite a few heisman candidates at the rb position. Here are the rest ...

88 yards vs pittsburgh. not bad, certainly not great ...
Tevin McCaster rushed for 73 on Pitt
Justice Hill rused for 91 on Pitt (at a better ypc)
kirvonte Benson rushed for 196 on pitt (at a better ypc)
taquon rushed for 112 on pitt
Dontae Stickland rushed for 80 on pitt.

Safe to say his performance against Pitt was nothing out of the ordinary.

47 yards rushing on ga st (note he had 142 receiving yards)

treon harris had 91
seth rowland had 76
sabree curtis had 73
benny lemay had 79

Household names all. Suffice it to say his performance against Ga St was nothing spectacular

56 yards rushing on Indiana

JK Dobbins 181
JT Barrett 61 !!!! Exclam
Jordan Ellis 44
LA Ramsby 108
wesley fields 44
Ronnie Harris 71
karan higdon 200

Ouch. Suffice it to say that his performance against Indiana was not spectacular

75 yards rushing against northwestern

J kincaide 86 yards
d Jones 108 yards
j cleveland 54 yards
Taylor 80 yards
Borten 34 yards

At least he is closer to average against nw than the other ones ..

btw akron gave up over a 90 yard rusher to ISU, Troy, bgsu and western michigan, so while Barkleys game was by far the best against akron, it wasn't super special.

Can we cut it out with this guy? Please.

Some deserving kid is going to get screwed when this guy gets an invite to new york or the trophy will have zero meaning ever again if he wins. Please stop. It's not even that funny. It's just a sad, sad, sad, thing they are trying to force on people.

I'd like your post more clown except you seemed to demean David Montgomery, and you know that don't fly round here

Lamar cannot reliably throw the ball downfield. He is a huge downgrade over Rudolph or Mayfield. Speedy linebackers like those of Texas would contain him if they had some discipline. But that K State backup ran on them too

Let Rudolph and Mayfield carry the ball 16 times a game and see how they fair after getting hit that many times with their throwing. It's a lot harder to do. Do Rudolph and Mayfield throw better balls? Sure ...

I'd like your post more clown except you seemed to demean David Montgomery, and you know that don't fly round here

More just tired of writing the names by the time I got to the other backs against akron.

McSorley is a more deserving candidate on his own team
Taylor is a more deserving candidate in his own conference, at his position
Love is a far more deserving candidate by the numbers and good luck saying his competition sucked compared to Barkley.

It's just silly and it needs to stop. I feel bad for the kid at this point.

I bet he has another shitty game where he is basically shut down but has one or two decent runs to skew his stats or some kick return that makes them go bonkers for him in undeserved fashion this next Saturday.

And BTW, I like Barkley. I just think it's the dumbest shit ever that he is being considered as a heisman candidate when he hasn't been that great. Hell my unlv rebels have a kid with better numbers than him.

Jackson was bad against LSU in the bowl game last year, but if you take the games against the next best defenses he's played over his season and a half (FSU & Clemson twice), he has a combined 1,200 yards & 11 TD's with 3 INT's. That's not too shabby.

Louisville has a bad OL & a terrible DL. Makes what he does all the more amazing. He's been sacked almost 60 times in his career, including 20 times in those 4 games.

Last edited:
Back