What have we learned after 3 weeks of college football?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by s--k
Bill Synder can win a game after saying they need 11 new players on offense at halftime.

talk to me...

LaTech was outplaying them in the first half. Synder was asked at halftime how to improve the offense and his response was "getting 11 new players". Ofcourse he didn't and they won the game.

Two questionable replay reviews against LT, one mattered, one didn't. Two no calls on PI for LT's final drive in 3OT. Some improper clock timekeeping on LT's game tying 4th qrt drive (which was corrected by refs on the field). Perhaps stacking the deck with some home cooking in little apple?

Northwestern d is for real.

Atleast 2 or 3 all conference players on that D. O needs to come around more to win some B1G games. After next week Minn, at Mich, Iowa, at Neb before midseason bye. That D will give them a chance to win each one, but O needs more still.

Coach Urban Meyer said post game he didn't want to take anything away from how good Hawaii played last week vs his team. Didn't hear him give NIU the same credit this week, maybe it is sinking in that it isn't the other team's effort that is the issue, it is his own.

Again confirming now 3 weeks worth of games, Minnesota offense is extremely limited. ONE TD vs Kent St (just 13 first downs).

Coach Urban Meyer said post game he didn't want to take anything away from how good Hawaii played last week vs his team. Didn't hear him give NIU the same credit this week, maybe it is sinking in that it isn't the other team's effort that is the issue, it is his own.

was 12 tweeting on the sideline?

I agree, but do you really need to be "up" to open some running lanes and hit some open receivers?

When the lights are brightest they've shown they can turn it "on" or "up", however they way they are playing vs Hawaii or NIU on offense they are leaving the door open to get beat. It is just fortunate for them it is very very hard to envision somebody on their schedule that looks like WMU, IU, Mary, PSU, Rut, Min, ILL beating them. They are lucky that a C game from them is still good enough to beat a near A game from everyone else...they just aren't going to look very good doing it. Maybe vs WMU they show up on offense?

It’s difficult mentally. You are 20 years old and already achieved so much. You’ve made a list of goals and you’ve accomplished them, you’ve won the conference and Natl Championship, so what is the goal? What is the motivation? Its why it’s hard for schools (or even pros) to go back to back, yet alone get enthused to beat a team you know you can easily demolish.

I don't get that though. What do you have that is better to do? Obviously this happens a lot, I am not saying otherwise ... but I don't get it. When I played pick up basketball games I tried hard no matter what .... why wouldn't you try hard on the field? Also, aren't all these guys auditioning for nfl at a program like tosu? Why take off games, halves, series or snaps when you have a humongous meal ticket opportunity in front of you? Because they are kids, is the answer I guess .. .but seems like a waste.

Dogs of 20+ went 12-1 yesterday.

Thats may happen again this week?
That tells you that big favorites are making sure to coast and save the intensity for bigger games. Coaches are in for the win and not to crush weak opponents for the fans. Buckeye ticket holders (students) all got hammered on their football pools.

I wouldn't hire Sonny Dykes to coach my high school team - calling a pass play while Texas has zero timeouts was atrocious. I get it that if the catch was made, the game is over and the Cal TE was wide open but he choked and dropped it. - whenever the human element is involved, run the ball, take another 40 seconds off the clock and punt it deep. You sir are a moron.

That's really what it's about. OL play has been poor. Doesn't matter who the rb is if the holes aren't open so no need to force feed Zeke 35 carries and put tread on the tires against cupcakes.

Weber is part of the plan for this season in that OSU needs a capable #2 rb. So he needs the work. Dunn, not so much.

I think tosu needs to get humming on offense before Weber or Dunn get any meaningful reps. Oline can't block. Doesn't matter who qb #1 is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saban's talk of his concern of player safety and pace of play was all lip service. 101 offensive plays and 59 passes

The team on the right won the game and are apparently the second best team in the country

[TABLE="class: mod-data"]
<thead>[TR="class: header"]
[TH]Matchup[/TH]
[TH]
i
[/TH]
[TH]
i
[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead> <tbody> [TR="class: highlight"]
[TD] 1st Downs [/TD]
[TD] 24 [/TD]
[TD] 22 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: indent"]
[TD] 3rd down efficiency [/TD]
[TD] 3-9 [/TD]
[TD] 7-14 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] 4th down efficiency [/TD]
[TD] 0-1 [/TD]
[TD] 1-2 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: highlight"]
[TD] Total Yards [/TD]
[TD] 428 [/TD]
[TD] 324 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Passing [/TD]
[TD] 149 [/TD]
[TD] 247 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Comp-Att [/TD]
[TD] 6-9 [/TD]
[TD] 15-23 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Yards per pass [/TD]
[TD] 16.6 [/TD]
[TD] 9.5 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Interceptions thrown [/TD]
[TD] 1 [/TD]
[TD] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Rushing [/TD]
[TD] 279 [/TD]
[TD] 77 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Rushing Attempts [/TD]
[TD] 51 [/TD]
[TD] 42 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Yards per rush [/TD]
[TD] 5.5 [/TD]
[TD] 1.8 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Penalties [/TD]
[TD] 7-95 [/TD]
[TD] 6-38 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Turnovers [/TD]
[TD] 3 [/TD]
[TD] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Fumbles lost [/TD]
[TD] 2 [/TD]
[TD] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] 1 [/TD]
[TD] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Possession [/TD]
[TD] 26:46 [/TD]
[TD] 32:58 [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Saban's talk of his concern of player safety and pace of play was all lip service. 101 offensive plays and 59 passes

Did anyone ever think it was anything else? Player safety concerns is the easiest route to a rule change. Though Ole Miss did suffer several injuries in the game

The team on the right won the game and are apparently the second best team in the country

[TABLE="class: mod-data"]
<tbody>[TR="class: header"]
[TH]Matchup[/TH]
[TH]
i
[/TH]
[TH]
i
[/TH]
[/TR]
[TD] 1st Downs [/TD]
[TD] 24 [/TD]
[TD] 22 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] 3rd down efficiency [/TD]
[TD] 3-9 [/TD]
[TD] 7-14 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] 4th down efficiency [/TD]
[TD] 0-1 [/TD]
[TD] 1-2 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Total Yards [/TD]
[TD] 428 [/TD]
[TD] 324 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Passing [/TD]
[TD] 149 [/TD]
[TD] 247 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Comp-Att [/TD]
[TD] 6-9 [/TD]
[TD] 15-23 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Yards per pass [/TD]
[TD] 16.6 [/TD]
[TD] 9.5 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] 1 [/TD]
[TD] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Rushing [/TD]
[TD] 279 [/TD]
[TD] 77 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Rushing Attempts [/TD]
[TD] 51 [/TD]
[TD] 42 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Yards per rush [/TD]
[TD] 5.5 [/TD]
[TD] 1.8 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Penalties [/TD]
[TD] 7-95 [/TD]
[TD] 6-38 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Turnovers [/TD]
[TD] 3 [/TD]
[TD] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Fumbles lost [/TD]
[TD] 2 [/TD]
[TD] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] 1 [/TD]
[TD] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] Possession [/TD]
[TD] 26:46 [/TD]
[TD] 32:58 [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

A tremendously unimpressive win there. I've been on the MSU bandwagon since last year when I had them in my top four for most of the final month and the end of the season. Ironically, now that the rest of the country puts them in the top four I'm inclined to drop them out. Sure they were just running with a healthy lead for half of the game, but if you can't win the line of scrimmage against AFA for better rush yards than that -- that's bad.

A tremendously unimpressive win there. I've been on the MSU bandwagon since last year when I had them in my top four for most of the final month and the end of the season. Ironically, now that the rest of the country puts them in the top four I'm inclined to drop them out. Sure they were just running with a healthy lead for half of the game, but if you can't win the line of scrimmage against AFA for better rush yards than that -- that's bad.

Classic letdown spot after beating Oregon, wouldn't read too much into that. College is such a situational game, seems they were just going through the motions and we've seen it a million times before, but if it carries over to next game...

haha yea NC played that bad
Mich St is a fraud imo. One, they should have lost to Oregon - late in game Adams missed a guy open by 20 yards in the end zone with Oregon down 3. You won't find an easier throw but no one talks about it. Then I had AF +24.5 and was watching the game a little - every time I watched AF was gashing them 7 yards it seems. the 3 fumbles, one returned for TD, were the game. AF could easily have won that game. Mich. St. defense is not that good. Normally I'd say OSU would kill them but they look like crap too. Everyone but Ole Miss has looked to have serious weaknesses.

I learned UTEP games are going to play out vastly different than a year ago. They are not nearly as slow (pace I mean, secondary is slow teehee) as they were a year ago ... more balanced ... and play much worse defense. I thought it was a product of opponent the first few weeks but saw all I needed to against NMSU to know they are going to have issues against decent offenses all year long.

Team was a dead under team last year. Not so much anymore.

this is what stood out to me from the line

JFC that aint nice lookin at all

Mich St is a fraud imo. One, they should have lost to Oregon - late in game Adams missed a guy open by 20 yards in the end zone with Oregon down 3. You won't find an easier throw but no one talks about it. Then I had AF +24.5 and was watching the game a little - every time I watched AF was gashing them 7 yards it seems. the 3 fumbles, one returned for TD, were the game. AF could easily have won that game. Mich. St. defense is not that good. Normally I'd say OSU would kill them but they look like crap too. Everyone but Ole Miss has looked to have serious weaknesses.
Yea Mike MSU looked like crap against AFA. AFA had a fumbled scoop and score early in the game and a fumble in the second half. They also had 3 trips to the red with no points and still only lost by 14

Should probably keep in mind that nearly half (203) of AF's yards came on their final 3 drives of the game. By contrast AF went 3-and-out on 3 of their 5 first half drives. Mostly, MSU did their damage in the first 2+ qrts. AF did their damage in the final 1.5 qrts. AF loaded to stop the run and make Cook beat them.

197 (5.3ypc) vs Oregon and 196 (4.9ypc) vs WMich. 77 (1.8ypc) vs AF would have to be anomaly I would think. Cook still got his numbers. Load up to stop the run and Cook beats you. Play the pass and they will run. Let's see what the game this week holds, if CM can create similar problems for MSU's ground game then you might be on to something.

MSU had a trip into the RZ resulting in 0 pts as well (blk'd FG). I only counted 2 RZ trips for AF resulting in 0 pts, not 3. But still yes, AF could've had more pts than they did.

i learned bronco mendenhall doesn't value second half timeouts and that the byu qb is a straight up G.

Back