What have we learned after 10 weeks of college football?

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Very interesting week 10 overall, from start to finish...

Lets get to the good stuff!

-LSU doesn't have an offense against a good defense. I think most of us knew that. Alabama won a nice, gritty one (yes, that is what we will call a 4 touchdown+ win)

-In the last 3 games Michigan opponents have faced 3rd down 34 times. They have converted 4 of 34 of those. Two were a yard or less and the other two were in garbage time of blowouts.

-Nebraska hasn't quit at all on the new staff. You have to give them credit. They had several mistakes today, but were in the game in the 4th quarter.

-The Georgia Tech and NC game was 'weird' but they finally covered. They should of had 50 points minimum in the game.

-BYU coaching staff just cost their players a chance to get a road win with some bad coaching at the end of the game.

-Clemson will have not played anybody for months but they are a machine on offense. They are leaving no doubt right now. We knew the schedule was shit last offseason but they are punishing teams. Much credit to them. They made the big change early and have rocketed since then.

-Keep hating on Notre Dame but they are a pretty damn good team. They have a lot of November nightmares to overcome this year but they will be undefeated or at 1 loss come selection time.

-Georgia defense still has some issues and they will get torched by the Bama offense but they went in today and showed what being a good team is all about to UK. The Cats fought though and it is fun to see them competing at a semi-high level.

-The Pac 12 is just wild (as I watch Wazzou win this game in the last minute). You just never really know on a week to week basis.

-Monroe is an interesting team once again. You never know with this team. The situation today was good and trust me I wanted that one bad for my RSW bet but they just blew them out. You gotta love 'The Belt'.

-Congrats to UTEP

-Among several of us, after the USF and Tulsa game predicted 3-4 losses for the Bulls so today was absolutely no surprise. There are more to come in November, buckle up.

-Illinois scored 55 points today. I just thought that was kind of funny.

-Tennessee is in such a bad spot right now. They are 5 years away from even competing for a division title. They are not good and do not have P5 conference talent past the top of the roster. It is bad. Pruitt said they are pretty evenly matched...against Charlotte....yes...this happened.

-SMU is sneaky. I don't feel as bad that Mich gave up 20 to them earlier this year.

-Miami is another dumpster fire. The handling of QB's is just ridiculous. What the heck is Richt doing these past few weeks?

More B10 thoughts in the thread tomorrow night...

Ohio State is not going to get anything fixed. LB play is awful and they can't run the ball a lick. This is who they are. Maybe they can squeeze by MSU, but I think Spartans as a home dog is looking pretty juicy. Michigan should be favored and will win in Columbus.

App two weeks ago UVA last week. Look to fade teams who newly enter top 25 but aren‘t used to being ranked. Same concept applies to teams who newly acquire bowl eligibility. Succeeds breeds complancy

App two weeks ago UVA last week. Look to fade teams who newly enter top 25 but aren‘t used to being ranked. Same concept applies to teams who newly acquire bowl eligibility. Succeeds breeds complancy

I like going against teams that just lost their chance of winning the conference or better yet going against teams right after they have been eliminated from the national championship hunt.

I like going against teams that just lost their chance of winning the conference or better yet going against teams right after they have been eliminated from the national championship hunt.

Yea thats why I took Mizzou yesterday! Even tho it was Fla homecoming

I’ve learned that this is the last year I will be suckered by college football media that LSU/Bama is the game of the year

And we all believed before that it was Penn State vs Ohio State LMAO

A blowout by Purdue and 42-7 loss at Meeshigan later....

And we all believed before that it was Penn State vs Ohio State LMAO

A blowout by Purdue and 42-7 loss at Meeshigan later....
Michigan/Ohio State is the game. Period.

It's like Duke/UNC in hoops, Red Sox/Yankees etc. Hate them all you want, blowouts be damned. That's THEE game.

Next week go against Kentucky who can't make it to the SEC championship game and LSU who was eliminated from playoff consideration. These teams have nothing to play for next week.

Did LSU even expect to make the playoffs before the season tho? I like to compare with preseason goals. But yea looks solid

Did LSU even expect to make the playoffs before the season tho? I like to compare with preseason goals. But yea looks solid

They probably never expected to have a chance but fact is they did before the blowout loss to Alabama. Now all motivation is gone and they will probably be flat next game.

When will Mike Leach get the respect he deserves and land a big job. What he did at Texas Tech and now at Washington State is flat out amazing.
As for Leach, Tahoe said it very well last week. He loves these jobs. Fat checks, pressure is virtually nil...I think he's made it clear that he doesn't want some "big job" and programs will not approach him. Why not be a lifer making 2-3 milly a year at Wazzu? He'll make more as time goes by but he clearly doesn't need the bullshit that comes along with a higher profile job.

Michigan ran it 52 times on Penn State and PSU couldn‘t do anything to stop them. Not sure what Wiscy‘s game plan will be tho. They may wanna pass it 40 times

Next week go against Kentucky who can't make it to the SEC championship game and LSU who was eliminated from playoff consideration. These teams have nothing to play for next week.

Both go on the road to face soft conference foes. Not that I disagree with your premise whatsoever, but it'll take some intestinal fortitude to hitch your financial wagon to Tennessee and Arkansas.

Last edited:
-Clemson will have not played anybody for months but they are a machine on offense. They are leaving no doubt right now. We knew the schedule was shit last offseason but they are punishing teams. Much credit to them. They made the big change early and have rocketed since then.
Closest comparison is Florida State 2013.

Both go on the road to face soft conference foes. Not that I disagree with your premise whatsoever, but it'll take some intestinal fortitude to hitch your financial future wagon to Tennessee and Arkansas.

Plus doesn‘t Kentucky get up for Tennessee? LSU tho

I will post some deceiving finals but first let me post my coaching "I don't get it" of the week.

I want to say there was a little over a minute to go in the game with BYU having a first and 10 at the Boise 13 trailing 21-16 and with one timeout (at least per the television). They get tackled in the field of play ... Boise coach does not use a timeout. If you stop them, you go to knees, if you don't stop them you will have about a minute left to get into FG range or better. Nope ... Harsin lets the clock run. There will be a lot of focus on the way the game ended for BYU but that was just awful by Harsin.

Deceiving Finals

UCF 52 Temple 40 - 670-630 yardage advantage and each team had 35 first downs. Great defense. UCF broke a 40 yard run when trying to pick up a few first downs and end the game and made a fg when stopped to win by DD. For most of the game, Temple appeared the better team.

Alabama 29 LSU 0 - Alabama with a 576 to 196 yardage advantage and a 29-13 FD advantage.

Auburn 28 TAMU 24 - 29-13 FD edge !! 421-228 Total Yards edge (!!) and controlled the game throughout. Late rally by Auburn.

Memphis 59 ECU 41 - 29-26 FD edge to ECU, 639-556 yardage edge for Memphis. Memphis was the better team but by one score, not three.

Intermission fun fact - Central Michigan had 138 total yards of offense against EMU yesterday

Wyoming 24 SJSU 9 - In what is both a deceiving final that flatters SJSU and a bad beat for SJSU backers at the end. 475-244 yardage advantage tells the story of the game as far as a deceiving final, as Wyoming should have won by 21+, but with a minute or so to go and facing 2nd and 9 at the SJSU 20, rather than take knees for the win, the Cowboys faked a student body left running play, rolled out the QB to the right and found an open man in the EZ ..17-9 prior, 24-9 final, spread roughly 13.5, I didn't check closing number.

USM 26 Marshall 24 - 50 Points were scored in this game. Marshall with a 15-13 FD advantage (not a typo 28 total first downs) and a 249 - 222 yardage advantage. Not a typo, they combined for 471 yards. Each team had a non-offensive TD in the game. I would imagine that the under in this game was the worst bad beat of the day, totaled in the mid to high forties.

Intermission Fun Fact: UTEP won

Tennessee 14 Charlotte 3 - Guess who was the most dominant defense on an SEC playing surface yesterday? If you guessed Charlotte, you are correct. Charlotte had a 244-192 yardage advantage and held Vols to 20 yards rushing on 26 attempts. Little doubt who played the better game yesterday, in what was one of the most embarrassing performances in Vols offensive football history. In case you were wondering, weather appeared perfect.

App St 23 Coastal Carolina 7 - 405-178 yardage advantage for App St, and Coastal lone score was a defensive one. Could write for a long time on this one but I will just refer you to go to the play by play yourself. Ridiculous game.

SDSU 31 UNM 23 - SDSU with 401-142 yardage advantage yet needed to rally to win. That's right folks, UNM scored 23 points with 142 yards of offense. In addition to SDSU backers being screwed out of the money, an SDSU TD when the player should have slid (ended up giving UNM a possession with a chance to tie with enough time to do it) after breaking through late in the game also sent the game over the total. This one is probably right up there with the USM game as far as unlucky results

LSU has an inferiority complex when it comes to Bama. I personally think everyone is missing the true display from yesterday. No one will give Bama a game this year. They had an 8 game preseason to get where they are now. Unless they have 5+ turnovers for TDS they will not lose to anyone. Sure LSU played scared (rightfully so) but the talent discrepancy is immense beyond words for any team that faces Bama. Bama is in the heads of LSU coaches, players and fanbase beyond description. Roll the dice and use yesterday to dictate the rest of the season at your own peril.

Most reasonable LSU predictions had them losing to Florida, Auburn, Georgia and Alabama. Texas A&M may finally get their first SEC win over the Tigers but I wouldn’t bank on it. Not many teams not named Alabama could manage a 9-3 or 8-4 record with LSUs schedule. Lesson learned - when you ask for Alabama’s best they will give it to you. Ouch.

The old maxim that if you have two quarterbacks you have no quarterbacks is obviously not embraced by Justin Wilcox, head coach of Cal. He likely cost his team the game by insisting on substituting qbs in the middle of drives. I understand the logic of creating packages for quarterbacks and letting the back up qb play for a drive or two, but substituting in the middle of a drive makes no sense. Chase Garbers was having a great drive toward a TD or at least a FG in the 4th quarter when Cal put Brandon McIlwain into the game, who promptly threw an interception in the end zone to kill the Cal drive. While they covered last night, I am not sure I want to bet Cal unless Wilcox realizes that he needs to stick with a single qb per drive.

I believe that Air Force had their second offensive possession at very start of 2nd quarter. Army controlled the ball for 13 minutes on opening drive. That will keep your totals down.

Pretty sure Richt has early dementia. His playcalling was beyond atrocious. The way he uses his QBs is ridiculous. Nearly everything about the guy is burned out.

2nd possession 1st qtr. Ball at midifield 4th and 1, fucking downpour, dude throws bomb, Rosier threw it out of bounds, I cant emphasize enough how clueless this dude is!

I had Miami -5.5 1st half. Duke had about 10 yards outside 1st play of game. Miami holder slips on first PAT cuz of downpour, so brainiac decides to for 2 on second TD, maybe you should of ran the ball, like how you scored the 2 tds, nope, Rozier rolls right, gets dumped, doesnt even throw ball. Score 12-7.

It took me a minute to get my bearings after that display.

2nd half Cutcliffe makes adjustments, Richt takes a shit

ISU coach has done more, with less, than any coach I have witnessed.

Campbell will have no problem landing a big job as soon as this offseason. Leach on the other hand has been fantastic for a long time but has always been stuck at lousy programs. The guy practically begged Miami the last few times they were looking for a coach and he was never even considered.

LSU has an inferiority complex when it comes to Bama. I personally think everyone is missing the true display from yesterday. No one will give Bama a game this year. They had an 8 game preseason to get where they are now. Unless they have 5+ turnovers for TDS they will not lose to anyone. Sure LSU played scared (rightfully so) but the talent discrepancy is immense beyond words for any team that faces Bama.
That's not even close to true, I wouldn't say there's any talent discrepancy between Alabama and Clemson, except Tua.

Pretty sure Richt has early dementia. His playcalling was beyond atrocious. The way he uses his QBs is ridiculous. Nearly everything about the guy is burned out.

2nd possession 1st qtr. Ball at midifield 4th and 1, fucking downpour, dude throws bomb, Rosier threw it out of bounds, I cant emphasize enough how clueless this dude is!

I had Miami -5.5 1st half. Duke had about 10 yards outside 1st play of game. Miami holder slips on first PAT cuz of downpour, so brainiac decides to for 2 on second TD, maybe you should of ran the ball, like how you scored the 2 tds, nope, Rozier rolls right, gets dumped, doesnt even throw ball. Score 12-7.

It took me a minute to get my bearings after that display.

2nd half Cutcliffe makes adjustments, Richt takes a shit

Like I said in the In Game thread, David Cutcliffe vs. Mark Richt was the biggest coaching mismatch of the week.

I have been posting for a decade about what a horrendous football coach Richt is. Richt being paid to coach football at the DI level for the past two decades has to rank amongst one of the greatest financial scams of all time.

Campbell will have no problem landing a big job as soon as this offseason. Leach on the other hand has been fantastic for a long time but has always been stuck at lousy programs. The guy practically begged Miami the last few times they were looking for a coach and he was never even considered.
He received a "U" in deportment. Does not share and play well with others. The man probably hates the ass kissing and manners required for major donor smoozing

Why not stay at Wazzu, keep winning and chill. The quest for “the job” is a blood sucker and you will end up an angry, unhealthy cocksucker like Urban, despite all his success

Amazing how inaccurate Haskins is. Yeah tOsu has a sophisticated pass offense, but that’s about it. And as the weather gets colder and teams see more tape I just feel they haven’t come close to rock bottom.

For the life of me I can’t figure out who is more garbage and has thrown in the towel more out the Miami, Florida state and south Florida. Guess talent ain’t everything.

Disagree on Kentucky letdown- they r still playing for New Year’s Day bowl at least- this loss saves them the embarrassment of sec title game loss. Plus I kinda think Tennessee is running out of gas.

Notre dame seems to be good enough to win out. When this happens Bama and Clemson will be fighting over who gets them in the semis as it will amount to a scout team walkthrough before the title game. Wouldn’t be surprised if the spread for bottle dame vs either Clemson or bama would be more than the 4 tds they lost to bama by last time in bcs title game.

Ps I think this is the year solich and Ohio finally win the Mac and it will be well deserved for Frank

The fucking STUPID pussy NCAA needs to change its rules. Its an absolute CRIME that Devin White had to miss half of the biggest game of his life for fucking pushing Nick Fitzgerald. Like an announcer said there needs to be something like a Flagrant 1 and Flagrant 2. These college athletes only get so many opportunities to play, most of them don't go pro, and college is special anyways. They should only miss for something really, really egregious, not this borderline pussy bullshit like a fucking shove. FUCK the pussy NCAA

I think they will revisit the suspension and ejection part of the rules but it could be tough to go backwards in player safety for them. I just hate the ones where I see a form tackle and helmets end up hitting.

While they are discussing that rule change, I hope they can address PI on an underthrow.

I think they can portray the rule change as something that isn't "going backwards" on safety. Just what they eject players for now would be the "flagrant two" stuff (borrowing bball terminology). In a sense, they could call even more targeting calls,depending on how they would word the flagrant one category. Point is to stop kicking these kids out of games for jack shit! Fucking criminals!

I learned that Iowa was the best team that Purdue has faced this year and is really fortunate to come away with the win. Brohm knew he had to get to the 30's to beat them and also knew they couldn't put together 7-10 play drives against that front 7 and took great 1-1 shots down the field...it worked with some amazing execution by Blough and Wright on the outside. Brilliant...but I came away extremely impressed by Iowa on both sides of the ball.

Pitt wins to get to 5-4 and that’s 3 covers in a row. It’s a season of what ifs for them. Losing 2 close games to Notre Dame and North Carolina and having to play 2 horrible weather games vs UCF and Penn State. Still, they’re in first place and have a chance to play for their first conference championship. Amazing.

Like I said in the In Game thread, David Cutcliffe vs. Mark Richt was the biggest coaching mismatch of the week.

I have been posting for a decade about what a horrendous football coach Richt is. Richt being paid to coach football at the DI level for the past two decades has to rank amongst one of the greatest financial scams of all time.

Your knowledge of college football is always rock solid. Always learn so much from the SEC boys on here. Count me as one that thought he was competent in the past, I knew Kirby was much better but I was lost when I didnt identify CMR as average at best. He seems so stubborn, and yet so anxious. It's time for him to retire. The U is a complicated place. Seems like another fail for them.

Your knowledge of college football is always rock solid. Always learn so much from the SEC boys on here. Count me as one that thought he was competent in the past, I knew Kirby was much better but I was lost when I didnt identify CMR as average at best. He seems so stubborn, and yet so anxious. It's time for him to retire. The U is a complicated place. Seems like another fail for them.

Jimmy‘s son is a UVA grad. Obviously it‘s a smart group ;)

Back