What did we learn week one?

RonG

Other than he fact that I don't know half as much as I thought. The opening weekend was a very disappointing and humbling experience. I'll leave it up to the wonderful poets on this site to make this thread a must read. On to next week.

I learned that once again I need to pace myself to NOT fall asleep and miss the late gms. God getting old SUXS!

I learned, or was reminded, that fumbles are the great bane of good handicapping.

I learned just how bad UNC coaching staff is. They started out throwing and threw all game on a great secondary. They threw 40 times for 3.9 YPA. Their best players (Hood and Logan) only got 16 carries and ran for 152 yards on a rebuilt front 7. That is about as bad as you can get. Their dumb gameplan also gave Georgia the ball to wear down the UNC run defense. It's a loss that program can entirely blame on the coaching staff.

Have said that as Eason gets more playing time Georgia is going to be damn good.

Didn't think it was possible for Bama to get better but they will have a whole new dynamic with Hurts at QB.

I learned Someone needs to buy Dabo an abacus or some shit to teach him how to count...because going up 9 means letting a team potentially score 7 can't beat you at the end of the game.

I am with Scarf. If I learned anything it is that nothing has changed with college football coaches when it comes to not being able to count or understand the concept of time.

I learned Someone needs to buy Dabo an abacus or some shit to teach him how to count...because going up 9 means letting a team potentially score 7 can't beat you at the end of the game.
Looks like another position for Laurex's " Common Sense Coach " is needing at Clemson as well.

I hear you, Prov. The play that baffles me is how the kid on 3rd down isn't explicitly told to stay in bounds to keep the clock running...another thing that made no sense there. Gave Aubby another 30 seconds for no reason

USC gave up

UCLA receivers dropped so many passes. Rosen struggled at times, but he got it going late.

There's a reason Trevor Knight is not at 0u any more. Any QB that runs 15yds backwards on almost every dropback isn't going to make it.
The Ag D is going to be monstrous. There was so much player rotation that the depth really showed. Garrett and Hall out for many plays. Big Mac out for many plays . A little dropoff with the second DE's , but the tackles did well.
Not impressed with Mazzone . Up 15, ball down in Ags end of field. Six yards on first down, throw incomplete, throw incomplete, punt. Unbelievable.

Bama---what I saw of it. The thing that I like about them, and there will be a few instances someone will find, when they make a play they go back to the huddle. If there is a call against them, maybe some disgust, but not a slinging of the arms , yelling and screaming. Just line up and play. Sure there's jubilation over a good play but not a grand display of "look at me". Very workman.
Conversely, 0u. Chest thumping. Aw shucks moments. --your getting your ass kicked. I'd focus if I was you.

I'm not picking on the paperclips or saying the sun shines out of Bama's ass, but the consistent teams seem to show a certain mannerism vs. the team of just gifted individuals. If I'm saying that right, as most are gifted.
Hell, the Ags were shit talking and it almost cost them the game. The cheap shot in Lambeau, another example.

Bobby Petrino is going to cover a lot of spreads this season

Paul Chryst is a better football coach than Les Miles - not that I ever thought highly of Miles

If I'm the AD at Auburn or LSU, I would do whatever it took to hire Tom Herman away from Houston

1st half UNDERS in week one are still gold. I didn't bet enough of them.

That the outcome of the Clemson game was likely fixed.

That Alabama is pretty much unbeatable with Jalen Hurts under center - and I don't mean just this season.

Quick question.

Not tie games ... just in games where a team is leading ... I challenge all of CTG ...

Find me two examples of a team leading and having a game losing fg attempt blocked and returned for a TD in the last two minutes of a game.

I challenge you. Someone had to have had the good side or bad side of that occurring.

But I honestly do not recall it ever happening. I have seen it in a tie game before once that i can think of.

Now ... how many times have you seen a team go 80 or 90 yards in under a minute? How many times have you seen someone catch a hail mary?

Confident that Auburn drops the ball if wide open in the end zone at the end anyway for reasons I will not discuss ...

But I challenge you. It is horrible coaching.

No that was tied. Kick was 55 yards too i believe...meaning most coaches punt. So that one does not count. Starting to think it has never happened

75% of football coaches would be destitute and unable to function in society if not for the safe haven of the football world and culture.

Eddy Pineiro is the real fucking deal. He will be the reason the Gators do better than they should which isn't saying much. Its nice to have a kicker you dont have to worry about.

Quick question.

Not tie games ... just in games where a team is leading ... I challenge all of CTG ...

Find me two examples of a team leading and having a game losing fg attempt blocked and returned for a TD in the last two minutes of a game.

I challenge you. Someone had to have had the good side or bad side of that occurring.

But I honestly do not recall it ever happening. I have seen it in a tie game before once that i can think of.

Now ... how many times have you seen a team go 80 or 90 yards in under a minute? How many times have you seen someone catch a hail mary?

Confident that Auburn drops the ball if wide open in the end zone at the end anyway for reasons I will not discuss ...

A long, long time ago I won an NFL bet on a blocked FG returned for a TD on the last play of the game. The Jaguars was one team. I think they were playing the Steelers. I don't remember what side I had, or the exact situation. I just know I won.

Quick question.

are you saying Dabo is a moron?

worse than the minny coach?

Sorry, I screwed up my post above. Fixed it.

I agree with you CC. Which is the more likely way to lose from a statistical probability standpoint? Having a FG blocked and returned for a TD, or having the opposing team hitting a Hail Mary at the end of the game? Think about it?

Is Dabo really that dumb? I know he's an Alabama grad and looks the part, but is he that dumb, or was the game manipulated. I vote for the latter.

Bobby Petrino is going to cover a lot of spreads this season

Paul Chryst is a better football coach than Les Miles - not that I ever thought highly of Miles

If I'm the AD at Auburn or LSU, I would do whatever it took to hire Tom Herman away from Houston

1st half UNDERS in week one are still gold. I didn't bet enough of them.

That the outcome of the Clemson game was likely fixed.

That Alabama is pretty much unbeatable with Jalen Hurts under center - and I don't mean just this season.

great guy, great recruiter.....horrible....and i mean fucking HORRIBLE coach

so frustrating

great guy, great recruiter.....horrible....and i mean fucking HORRIBLE coach

so frustrating

I agree. He is the Mark Richt of the SEC West. And just like I argued with UGA fans for years that they need a new head coach, so it is with LSU fans. Been saying for years they won't win anything with Miles running the show. If I'm LSU, I do whatever it takes to get Tom Herman.

Some observations:

Missouri is still terrible on offense. They managed 462 yards but it took them 100 plays to do it. People seem to think Drew Lock is some kind of pro prospect, but he spent all of last year at around less than 5 ypa and he wasn't much better yesterday.

Pitt was also bad on offense. I know Nova is no patsy, but they couldn't muster 300 yards of offense and couldn't run the ball worth a shit.

Kirby Smart, the perennial darling assistant coach who Georgia couldn't hire fast enough is just as much of a dolt as the rest of these idiots. I'm sure everyone saw this, but deep into the second half, late 3rd quarter I think, they faced a 4th and short near midfield. They line up to go for it, but merely attempt to draw UNC offside, and they don't bite. Rather than do what most sane people would do and just let the play clock expire and take the meaningless 5 yeard penalty, Smart robotically CALLS TIMEOUT to save the 5 yard delay penalty. He was TRAILING in the game at the time. When will these coaches figure out that 2nd half timeouts are gold, not to be pissed away? They are certainly worth a hell of a lot more than 5 inconsequential yards when you are going to punt anyway. I'm no Georgia backer, but that made me angry. How is it possible for someone to earn so much money, yet be so mind numbingly stupid? Again, as I mentioned above, only in the bubble of the football culture could that be possible.

I know they were playing in a monsoon for part of the game, but Florida drew UMass, who many had pegged as the #128 team in FBS this year and they failed to crack 5 YPP.

Colorado State gave perhaps the weakest effort I have witnessed in many years on Friday night.

On the good side, Houston's Big 12 table is ready. They just carry themselves as good teams do. They make the plays that good teams make. I remember late in the second half they had a 3rd and medium, and Ward tossed up a deep ball that the Houston guy made a fantastic juggling catch on. It was a play that the game kind of hinged on at the time. It's the kind of catch that most teams who are trying to spring an upset will make a good effort on, but will have it just slip through their fingers. Not Houston.

Kudos also to Toledo. That new coach put up a great performance in their bowl game, and he walked into a pretty challenging situation and handed Arky State their lunch in their opener.

I thought BC was really unlucky. Still looking stout on D, and their offense made some strides. Couldn't score much but at least they were able to throw the ball downfield a bit. I think they'll knock some people off. GT was in no way the better team in Dublin.

When the Clem xpt was blocked/missed leaving the game 19-6 i knew i was fucked... and would get the backdoor woodshed up the ass late score from Auburn to land on 6. Even then it took a stupid roughing penalty to keep a drive alive or Aub would have faced a 4th and 10 with low percentage for keeping the drive alive. There's times you just know you're going to get the high colonic....Also knew no way Dumbo was going to kick a fg at the end despite being up only 6 at the time so wasn't surprised there, it was just the woodshed coming to fruition.

I agree. He is the Mark Richt of the SEC West. And just like I argued with UGA fans for years that they need a new head coach, so it is with LSU fans. Been saying for years they won't win anything with Miles running the show. If I'm LSU, I do whatever it takes to get Tom Herman.

I would take him in a heartbeat....we were close with Jimbo last year

How the fuck he finessed his way outta that shit last year is beyond me(money be damned....that wasn't it)

I would take Gary Patterson......I would take Lane fucking Kiffin

it is an abomination....the staff is loaded too, outside himself and Cam

he has to win the SEC I think to keep the job

When the Clem xpt was blocked/missed leaving the game 19-6 i knew i was fucked... and would get the backdoor woodshed up the ass late score from Auburn to land on 6. Even then it took a stupid roughing penalty to keep a drive alive or Aub would have faced a 4th and 10 with low percentage for keeping the drive alive. There's times you just know you're going to get the high colonic....Also knew no way Dumbo was going to kick a fg at the end despite being up only 6 at the time so wasn't surprised there, it was just the woodshed coming to fruition.

I had Clemson -6.5, and felt exactly the same way you did as it played out. I knew I was doomed. I lost the play on a blocked xp, and subsequent idiotic, drive-sustaining Ben Boulware roughing the passer. I had a fantastic weekend, but that one still haunts me. I had the game handicapped perfectly, yet still lost.

I had Clemson -6.5, and felt exactly the same way you did as it played out. I lost the play on a blocked xp, and subsequent idiotic, drive-sustaining Ben Boulware roughing the passer. I had a fantastic weekend, but that one still haunts me. I had the game handicapped perfectly, yet still lost.

Ironically that is how I feel about the Alabama game.

Sorry, I screwed up my post above. Fixed it.

I agree with you CC. Which is the more likely way to lose from a statistical probability standpoint? Having a FG blocked and returned for a TD, or having the opposing team hitting a Hail Mary at the end of the game? Think about it?

Is Dabo really that dumb? I know he's an Alabama grad and looks the part, but is he that dumb, or was the game manipulated. I vote for the latter.

I knew that the extra pt would be blocked or missed.

Here is also food for thought on the decision and why it is particularly strange. He just cost his alumni a fortune. In other words, he cost the program a fortune by not kicking (not really since we know Auburn scores if he kicks and makes the fg and he would have missed) the fg. It is not a coaching decision he would be blamed for after the fact. Everyone cheering for clemson wanted him to kick, particularly the big money donors who all had clemson minus.

Leggett had a particularly good game for Auburn, I thought.

Ironically that is how I feel about the Alabama game.

Yeah, basically took the game over the total by themselves. Very tough break there. I felt strongly that which ever Alabama QB played, they would gain some traction in the 2nd half. Unfortunately for under backers, they gained a little too much traction.

Yeah, basically took the game over the total by themselves. Very tough break there. I felt strongly that which ever Alabama QB played, they would gain some traction in the 2nd half. Unfortunately for under backers, they gained a little too much traction.

The bomb followed by the pick right before halftime just took whatever heart was in the tin man west coast pretty boy athletes and crushed it. They played an ok half and could have been ready down 10-3 to give it a go. At least well enough to not quit. They quit. Bama broke their will.

Some great hits in that game.

The bomb followed by the pick right before halftime just took whatever heart was in the tin man west coast pretty boy athletes and crushed it. They played an ok half and could have been ready down 10-3 to give it a go. At least well enough to not quit. They quit. Bama broke their will.

Some great hits in that game.

:rofl:

It's not just that. The USC punter drops the ball at the 10-yard line etc. I had the full-game under to close out several four- and five-game parlays -- busting the total cost me about 12 hundo.

Squares got slaughtered for the most part.

Aside from Bama, it payed to be opposite the steam.

speaking off dumb and dumber

let us take out the fact that B Harris just isn't very good, right? or he is great if you ask the staff

1st and 10 at the 30 with over a minute.......you of course get the false start to push you back 5 more, because that is what an LSU coached team does.

the time to "turn him loose" is then? LF leaves the game and enter Guice(starter quality, easily).....Obv kid made a bum throw(Ive watched it 30 times and again just now), but wouldn't this be the time to just get a bit closer?

i know it is total MMQB, but just odd

Mizzou might not score against an SEC opponent this year. Thinking of taking a taking a loan on my 401K when Georgia plays them in a couple weeks.

CC, it wasn't a blocked FG but I'm sure the ending of last year's Michigan/MSU game will probably sit with a lot of coaches forever. I had 2u on Clem -7 and felt there was no chance he'd kick until amazingly the RB ran out of bounds on 3rd down leaving the 45 seconds. If that hadn't happened, I think Auburn would have had about 10 seconds left. But with 45 seconds you have to kick it, though again I didn't think he would. And we all know the way the game was going I'm sure the Clemson kicker would have missed it.

I'd like to see the odds for Houston to make the playoff when they come back out. I know its early but I see the Pac 12 and Big 12 pretty much out of it already - only Wash and Stanford have a chance in Pac and I don't see it with either of them. OK and TCU are outside looking in now - OK maybe if they beat OSU and run table. I don't see the shit looking SEC getting 2 teams in either - Bama and maybe ACC and B10 get 2, though OSU and Michigan schedules should not allow that to happen.

Watch for Oklahoma to run up scores now.

How did Kent St score 13? I saw the 2H and I thought their QB might die. Had PSU -20 and felt lucky with the push.

National titles in 2016 won't be won with cam cameron or Mike debord as offensive coordinators. Stuck in stone age. Know from experience being a Michigan fan.

Count me as one of the many that had Clemson -7.....
I still laughing though. I made an investment on SMU TT over 19 1H. The score was 17 - 7 with 2 minutes left in the 1H. SMU completes a pass to get inside the red zone. Two losses and three penalties later it was 3rd and 40 from the 46. Next play a 46 yard TD pass. 24 - 7 You win some you lose some LOL.

Indeed. But the better you are as a handicapper, the more often you will find that the flukes hurt you rather than help you.

Not sure how we can have 2 page of posts and no mention of Chubb. Pure dominance pretty much his whole career.

After week one of college football, what did we learn?

What did we learn?

Continue to keep my wagers lower in week 1 and 2 unless they are returning a crap ton of their team.

Louisville was mentioned before, but having their maturity + petrino going into week 1 was huge. Most kids are getting amped up for week 1, still gelling and making mistakes cause of real gameplay, nerves, hype etc.

Yes gsro. We still can enjoy this without getting killed. I somehow came out of the weekend on the plus side after the FSU game. I took me 48 hours to recover from the Kentucky meltdown. Never seen a home team lay down after a 35-10 lead. Still shaking my head.

Anyone think there's a clear cut fav? 52-3 is a misguided score I think

Back