What did we learn...week 1?

Marsski

MAC Marvel
Please chime in with your thoughts.

I'll start...here's the games I watched...

Buckeyes/Beavers: OSU missed Jordan Fuller at safety something fierce as the replacements took bad angles and generally leaked oil all over the runway in OSU's smashing of the Beavers. OSU's young linebackers also were overrunning plays and didn't get settled until Tuf Borland got into the mix. Tuf coming off an Achilles injury. Watch their status for Rutgers but especially for TCU.

I thought the offensive play calling was actually better without Urban. Haskins only ran the ball once I think which is about 20x less than JT used to...Tate Martell seemed like a definite downgrade in passing ability when he played but did have a nifty option pitch play.

Oregon State's offense could be OK. They definitely have an explosive back.

USC/UNLV: The 18-year-old USC QB got better in the second half and he has some WRs that were getting open in man-to-man on UNLV. He looked pretty bad in the first half when they were dinking and dunking. Look out for UNLVs offenses this year in the Mountain West, RB Thomas is fast as blazes and the QB is a gamer. USC didn't really wear them down as much as hit big passing plays that were there because UNLV was bringing the house.

Illinois/Kent: Illiinois had a bunch of last minute suspended guys but they still looked like usual Illinois until the second half. WR Dudek is still legit but the QB from Va Tech was serviceable at best. Woody Barrett played pretty well for Kent and maybe they won't be the doormat of the MAC like I expected. Kent definitely seemed to tire as the game went on defensively, not sure how deep they are with that roster.

Mich/ND: When Michigan plays an immobile QB, look out. Wimbush was able to neutralize the pass rush somewhat by using his legs. Thought Michigan's D coaching really tightened the screws in the second half. I kind liked how McCafferty looked honestly when he was playing for Patterson. Mich OL has problems. I think you have to spy Wimbush and make him beat you over the top. He looked a little better than last year.

Don't know what to make of the Maryland/Texas game I watched. I thought Ehrlinger had some good throws into tight windows, but not sure strip club enthusiast Tom Herman called a great game. Maybe Maryland's just good and they are gonna shrug off their bad situation and be decent this year.

Duke/Army: Thought Duke's QB Jones looked pretty damn good, can make plays with his legs and arm. I've never seen Army throw the ball as much as they did. Duke was shutting down the option, but still. Army's secondary looked a little lost....how are they gonna do on the Big Island vs Hawaii? Duke seems like a good bet vs. Ga Tech (as always)....I lean towards them being able to put up points @ Northwestern next weekend...

Minnesota/N Mex St....The freshman QB for Minny seemed serviceable, really liked his freshman WRs. RB Smith is gonna have another big year and OL run blocking was good. Still, it was NM State...Thought NM St QB was making good throws but tons of drops. They seemed a good bit better than game 1 at least on offense although that's not saying much.

Other random notes: Alabama QB battle is over, Tua looks great...Wisky's QB looked terrible against WKy....Appalachian State always plays tough in early season big games. I'm betting they won't be getting many invites from the Big Ten in the future....Surprised to see Iowa crush N Illinois especially with both starting tackles out with suspensions. Is their defense that good or was N Illinois bad? I did not see the game....W Michigan looks to be an OVER team....

And by the way, what is up with Hawaii? I'd love to hear some thoughts from the late night degenerates who bet the Navy/Hawaii game...Hawaii QB Cole McDonald threw for 418, 428 now back to back weeks...

Last edited:
PSU has a ton of freshmen on both sides of the ball that it‘s trying to break into key positions. The growing pains are real and now they face a power 5 school.

Navy took a bit to get going. They didn't execute their blocking scheme in the 1Q. Probably the worst 1Q I have seen Navy play in a few years. Maybe a little Hawaii hangover there, not sure. They wore Hawaii down but it was too late. Shit load of points which was good for me (bail out game on the over). Hawaii will score some points this year no doubt. Best they have looked since their Sugar Bowl season

Think it was rinkrat but he made the good point in game that Hawaii could be 5-0 going in to conference play with rice, @army, and duqen left coming up. @army could be a tough game but second time seeing the option may help.

Think it was rinkrat but he made the good point in game that Hawaii could be 5-0 going in to conference play with rice, @army, and duqen left coming up. @army could be a tough game but second time seeing the option may help.

Good point about the second time on the option...

I always wondered what offensive football would look like if you mixed together, the most archaic and asinine aspects of the pro-style and spread offenses...

No longer have to wonder anymore thanks to Mr. Harbaugh.

I always wondered what offensive football would look like if you mixed together, the most archaic and asinine aspects of the pro-style and spread offenses...

No longer have to wonder anymore thanks to Mr. Harbaugh.
Add that to having exactly 0 offensive tackles that should be playing and you get a nice ole pile of hot trash.

rutgers new oc used huddles and a slow, deliberate pace. babying a true freshman qb could be part of it. i get the feeling they aren't running up tempo even with rescigno. sitkowski has a big arm, but stared guys down and was late on a lot of stuff. i see why they like him and throwing him into the fire vs texas state wasn't much of a risk. he's not ready for columbus

And by the way, what is up with Hawaii? I'd love to hear some thoughts from the late night degenerates who bet the Navy/Hawaii game...Hawaii QB Cole McDonald threw for 418, 428 now back to back weeks...

Hawaii operates like a well oiled machine, like they are playing pitch and catch with their eyes closed. Some aggressive calls by Rolo as well. UH led 28-0 with a blk'd punt for TD. Navy cut into the lead, I think it was a 10 pt game at one point when Navy QB stopped on a play (thought he heard a whistle?), but there was no whistle so it was a big loss on the play for Navy and it killed their momentum. Navy did get their O going with some nice FB dives and Perry got outside on a few, but it was just too late as they were multiple TDs down before they seemed to wake up. Navy is going to use Abey as a short yardage/goal line QB due to his bigger frame.

Surprised to see Iowa crush N Illinois especially with both starting tackles out with suspensions. Is their defense that good or was N Illinois bad? I did not see the game....

It was very low scoring close game early, neither team could do much in the first half. You could tell that NIU and Childers was struggling vs the Iowa D. At HT it felt like it could go either way still, although NIU hadn't done anything to instill confidence. NIU blk;d a punt on first series, but missed a FG. NIU missed another FG in the first half as well so NIU could've led 6-3 HT instead of being down 3-0. Iowa just dominated the 3rd qrt, totally overran the NIU OL and Iowa O started getting chunk plays.

Duke/Army: Thought Duke's QB Jones looked pretty damn good, can make plays with his legs and arm. I've never seen Army throw the ball as much as they did. Duke was shutting down the option, but still. Army's secondary looked a little lost....how are they gonna do on the Big Island vs Hawaii? Duke seems like a good bet vs. Ga Tech (as always)....I lean towards them being able to put up points @ Northwestern next weekend...

Army's QB is a better passer so I think they are calling more passing plays to take advantage of some of his ability. But better passing QB for Army still isn't saying much. I enjoyed seeing a healthy and confident Jones for Duke.

I thought Brett Stockstill wasn't going to make it out of the Vandy game. Dude took a beating. Running with no regard for his well being. He has had trouble staying healthy. Not sure if he was just trying harder because it was Vandy, but if he is going to play that way all year, he will be missing games again at some point.

No surprise, but BAMA kicker sucks. 2H missed XP and short FG. cost me the 2nd H by a point...Bastard. Just waiting to see this on Van Pelt, but won't because ESPN is choking on that cock.

Indiana ended the game SOD at the FIU 1 up by 10 with like :05 left. It was almost like IU was intentionally trying not to score with their final play calls. Which is fine with me clinging to a +13 FIU wager. But got really lucky. Most coaches don't care, they punch it in.

Liberty was without 4 starting players (suspended) for the ODU game, but they dominated.

I hit my breaking point yesterday with football. There is no balance to the game anymore and very little physicality. The product is horrible. It has been regressing that direction for a few years now but I think we finally hit the point of ridiculous and where I am pretty sure I don't want to spend my Saturdays watching it.

To help out though ....

South Carolina/Coastal - Played with pace more than normal which they did practice and we knew was likely but just to confirm, they are playing a faster pace of play. Offense, now healthy, looks more dangerous than last year. Coastal looks serviceable on both sides of the ball. They couldn't match the athletes on the gamecocks side of the ball but their schemes are nice and they play hard. One of the better products as a game I saw all day, if you throw out the officiating crew.

Kent State/Illinois - Both teams playing faster. Product was hard to watch

Houston/Rice - Either Rice offense is more serviceable than I thought or the Houston defense is not as good as I thought. Play calling from Houston was suspect. Rice defense is horrible. Product was hard to watch

Texas/Maryland - Terps offensive line is really good and they have some play makers. Texas looked bigger as a team but didn't seem to get a lot of separation from their WR group, didn't create a ton of big holes for the backs. Maryland should have been better the last few years and maybe this is the year they have it together. Texas normal preseason hype was just that, hype. That team belongs nowhere near a top 25 conversation. They continue to be more interested in smoking weed and chasing girls than playing football, being too stupid to realize if they concentrated on football they could still smoke weed and they would get even more girls. Excuses for that program are over. Flagship school of the State with by FAR the biggest fan base in the State, with by FAR the most booster money in the State, playing in a State that has some of the best high school talent in college football. Just zero excuse to go lose to a Maryland team that has distractions all over the place and that beat you last year. Also, tired of the blown coverages and dumb plays from this team. shout out to Timh and a congrats as his boys play with actual heart. Just sick of them sucking when they shouldn't and I know it is the culture of Austin that is just destroying their program.

Ole Miss/Texas Tech - Rebel QB looked pretty good. They are playing super fast pace. Texas Tech likely in for a long year as that game was needed to sniff bowl eligibility as if they lose to Houston in a few weeks they are most likely staring 1-5 in the face and then everyone knows it is lame duck coach time. Defense looked more like normal Texas Tech defenses and less like they did last year though some of that might have been Ole MIss who looked sharp. Product was disgustingly bad.

Oregon State/TOSU - Over 100 pts scored. Wide receivers for Ohio State are really good. Haskins looks good. Offensive line looks good. RBs look pretty good. Defensive line looks really good (playing against a very good Oregon state offensive line) but the linebacking and secondary play looked suspect at times. if not fixed, they will probably be a dead over team all year. Look out. This team is gonna be tough to beat. Oregon State should be competitive against PAc12 teams who are capable of shooting themselves in the foot on offense (hard to expect Oregon state to stop anyone without that). Football product was horrible.

Texas State/Rutgers - I only saw bits and pieces. Rutgers played slower than I would have expected but they were also playing from a significant lead most of the game. Texas State tackling was a little better than expected. Not much to add since I only saw a little bit of it other than the parts I watched were at least football.

FAU/Oklahoma - Game tilted me a little. FAU tackling was ... well I am not sure .. cause I never saw any. Oklahoma defense looked improved. Not sure what to make of the offense yet due to the opponent quitting in the first quarter. Watched just about every play of this game and I suggest that no one else does. That isn't football. They ruined the sport.

UNLV/USC - I ended up with a UNLV +1900 ml ticket on this game and it had a shot middle of the second half before the USC offense opened up a little more and they were able to convert drives into TD's. In the first half they were settling for FGs. UNLV play calling is really good, and they have good skill position players. They are going to score on a lot of teams. USC taken a step backwards for the near future though probably an easier fade earlier in the year than later.

Notre Dame/Michigan - woof. Michigan offense looked really, really good compared to Bethune-Cookman. Patterson we know for a fact is capable of huge games. At what point do the Wolverines look in the mirror and say "we need to do what everyone else is doing and just go really fast and throw 5 yard passes to guys because the defense is not set up yet and that is undefendable and we can put up 50 pts a game instead of our 20" ? At least the wolverines were not three yards and a pile of dust. They were 1.5 yards and a pile of dust. There is more imagination in brain dead people on life support than the Michigan offense. They make it so easy on the opponent to defend them. I thought with the addition of a QB that they know they can trust to make plays that they would open it up. To be fair, with their lack of blocking up front, it makes everything hard. Just saying the wolverines saying "we just have no qb" cannot use that excuse anymore. The good news for the Wolverines is that the defense looks just as good as last year. They are gonna stuff the run on most teams and they can really rush the passer (cannot always make the tackle when they get there) and generally their coverage was really good. ND receivers made some amazing catches in the game. ND looked decent at the line of scrimmage, the receivers looked like playmakers even if they didn't get separation, the rbs looked ok and winbush looked serviceable with his arm and good with his legs. Their defense completely dominated the Michigan offensive front. Looking at their schedule, which is tough by any standard, it actually lines up good for them other than the timing of the USC game as USC should be better by then. Notre Dame could easily be a playoff caliber team this year. This game had the best football product that I watched all day.

Bowling Green/Oregon- Just wanted to mention that isn't football.

Last edited:
Cincy made a QB change to rFr Desmond Riddler and didn't look back (Hayden Moore started).

Indiana ended the game SOD at the FIU 1 up by 10 with like :05 left. It was almost like IU was intentionally trying not to score with their final play calls. Which is fine with me clinging to a +13 FIU wager. But got really lucky. Most coaches don't care, they punch it in.

OH wow, I'm gonna mention that in my write up.
Other spread related plays I saw were Illinois/Kent o/u and Bama/LV o/u. Michigan game was a sweat no matter what you bet.

Harbaugh still uses wired headsets. He walked out to midfield to check on Bush's injury and the cable kid had a ton of cord he was unraveling for Harbaugh. Jim is the only one that doesn't use wireless headsets I think? Dude is weird, in a good and funny way. Just wish he could win some more games so that weirdness had some relevance.

He cannot win a big game. Hard to stay coach at Michigan when you cannot win a big game.

UMASS could possibly be a blind full game/1H/2H/ & opposition TT over type team.

Did anyone see what they did before HT? They were already down 3 or 4 TDs, but with clock running at like :07 left in the half, and nowhere near scoring territory, they did not have to run a play. But they did, Ford threw up a pass that was tipped and INT's and BC tacked on like a 50y pick-six with :00 on the clock before HT. There was nothing positive that was going to happen there for UMass, instead they got disaster.

He cannot win a big game. Hard to stay coach at Michigan when you cannot win a big game.
And he hasn't been the same 'guy' since the theft in Columbus.

I believe that took a lot out of him.

I also think he faced the facts that he has to not only beat other teams but Delaney etc as well. They already limit themselves enough as it is but between the other realities and a few other things I won't speculate on... he is totally different since that game, emotion-wise.

Alcorn State is the best SWAC team. GT defense with new 3/4 attacking were inspired. David Curry on the warpath. We did some fumbling that cost backers a cover. Their defense will be much better imo, important, exciting development.

One thing we learn every year is to not to overreact to the first week.

Let things shake out a bit, all around the country.

Imagine if USU/Appy and to a lesser extent UNLV finishes off their games in proper fashion? There was some wild stuff that did and could of happened all over the country.

I would throw in, with regard to Michigan ... taking more risks is more doable when you have a defense that can get you a three and out after the turnover. They clearly can see what is not working and they continue to try and make that work. Take some chances. Open up that offense ... spread them out and then give it to Higdon. (sp). and he might actually have some room to run. Do virtually anything but what you are currently doing on offense. It isn't lack of talent.

Being in a coinflip that came down to turnovers in Atlanta without Trey Adams means UW is a playoff contender despite the L.

ND just got past it’s hardest situation breaking in this new offense against the Michigan D. They have a mulligan available to them and look like a contender.

Year 4 with all his own guys and Michigan still has no answers blocking on the edge, combine that with no urgency in obvious 2 minute situations - seems doubtful Michigan is ready to leap past 8-9 win range and that’s spoken as a fan of the team.

Oklahoma looks just as legit as last year. Maybe better if this FAU offense is even 80% of what it was last year.

I don’t think there’s a defense capable of stopping Bama with Tua and I mean that literally. I don’t think any team they face through January can stop them from consistently driving.

Hawaii is officially fun again.

Arizona offensive line is a tire fire.

South Carolina defense looks very meh and got no valuable reps for Georgia against the Coastal option-ish attack.

Wisconsin has the truest identity in the Big Ten on the field.

Utah in the trenches is gonna be very tough.

Jim Harbaugh should have more camps in exotic places, he should take the boys to Lisbon or Barcelona next summer. . .
That really has nothing to do with the team and how they played.

That is basically a bonus of having big donors willing to give these guys a great experience as a college student.

Michigan doesn't pay their players, so at least give them something.

They eliminated it as part of spring practice basically, which is good.

I forgot, I also learned I expected Iowa to lose in a game that Kirk Ferentz was going for the all-time winnest coach record. Not great timing to go against Hawkeyes. They got a fire lit under them in the locker room by someone.

I'm just trying to be funny, I hear you. That shit was disappointing. I will stop piling on. :)
It isn't piling on at all.

It is just funny what he gets critiqued for.

Critique the offensive philosophy all day. It needs to go out the window.

But, class trips and wearing a hat to a press conference gets people up in arms. The guy isn't perfect, but man, despite less wins at least he isn't a shitbag like A LOT of coaches.

Speaking of learning...and I'll get to this in B1G thread...

Wisconsin is the most overrated #4 ranked team in some time to start a season.

Alcorn State is the best SWAC team. GT defense with new 3/4 attacking were inspired. David Curry on the warpath. We did some fumbling that cost backers a cover. Their defense will be much better imo, important, exciting development.

I see GT had 55y pick-six called back right before HT leading 20-0. The DB likely would've been tackled or pushed OOB on that one had they not held. Replay is on my local Fox Sports now.

Northwestern and Utah defenses were both impressive, tough, fast, and both are sure tacklers, something you don't see in every game.

Colorado defense looked good and they have a linebacker who was making plays all over the field on every play. Very impressive player.

I like teams with great kickers, guys like Carlson was at Auburn the last couple of years where you know a team is going to get points as soon as they cross midfield. Washington and Auburn both debuted new kickers and neither one did his job, and neither is reliable in my view. Utah State has a great one, the ball booms off his foot like it did with Carlson, Georgia has one who drills them from +50 with ease, Utah, as usual, has a good one, and Colorado has a good one plus he's gets to kick a lot of his at altitude. I expect all four to win some money for me this year.

Maryland players were so much quicker and more explosive than Texas players you could see it on every play. They impressed me last year and I see the same explosiveness this year.

I have no respect for Texas Tech coaches and they were a disgrace against Ole Miss. I lost count of the times players led with their helmet on tackles. It happened so many times--one player got disqualified, another got a penalty for it but stayed in the game and promptly did it again and got disqualified on the second one--I suspect their coaches are teaching them to do it because they think it makes them tough. I liked the way Ole Miss played under their accidental coach last year and they looked just as sound yesterday. Too bad they're in the toughest division in football, but they are a well coached team and their QB may be the real reason Patterson left for Michigan.

Hard to understand how things have gone so wrong at Michigan. ESPN said they have now lost 17 straight to ranked teams and are only 9-9 in their last 18 games.

Oklahoma looked like a Barry Switzer team yesterday wit great athletes all over the field. I don't know if their defense is actually any better or not. FAU was no test and Mike Stoops is there, but they added some great athletes from the last recruiting class and Riley has now gotten involved both in both recruiting and coaching on the defensive side. The overall athleticism for OU is better than anything you see outside the SEC.

As usual I was baffled by what handicapping system touts and guys who sell their picks use. I never look at them until I finish my handicapping so I won't be influenced. Four teams appeared more than any other teams. C Carolina, (3 wins last year and with a new QB, going on the road to play a tough SEC team), Illinois (5 wins in two years, giving 17 points), FAU (losing their QB and going on the road to a top five team), and Louisiana Tech giving 10x points on the road against a respectable program in their own conference (I'm an admirer of Skip Holtz and like to bet La Tech myself, but not giving 10x on the road. I don't like giving 10x on the road in ANY conference game), Even worse the "smart money" came pouring in on FAU, at the last minute. I can't imagine any handicapping system that yields those teams.

Bottom line, a fantastic weekend. I loved having college football back, I love seeing the spirit and effort and traditions, and I love the display of athleticism. And I love to watch the crazy fans.

I've always loved college football and I love it more every year and it gets greater every year. Bring on week 2!!

I forgot to add I was impressed by the job Edwards has done at Arizona State. I had my doubts, but they were sound in their schemes and well coached, Not sure how much talent they have because I ignored them when they named Edwards because it had been so long since he coached and because he had spent most of his career on pro teams. He must have assembled a good staff because they weren't making a lot of bonehead plays, weren't making dumb mistakes, and weren't playing to the crowd. I realize UTSA was not a great opponent, but he has the Sun Devils playing hard and showing discipline.

Back