what an ending to the year

Isles need to win... imagine a SO to decide the future with a backup vs a callup... how can you not enjoy this?

They're making the point on the broadcast that I was wondering about when it happened. How did they not clear that puck with 10 to go.

Ugh.

You're right, though, the Isles need to win this game, that's one. Two is this goalie has actually had a pretty good game, what a crushing loss this would be for him. Three, if they lose, what does it say about the Ryan Smyth trade?

By the way, I shootout to decide who gets the final playoff spot would be pretty fantastic.

I was against the SO initially, but I've come to really like it.

Islaners seem to be playing for a SO

I think they were shellshocked. They're definitely back on their heels. They just don't want to give up the odd-man break.

They also may not have a lot of confidence in their goalie right now, though I think that would be unfounded.

They won the draw and got two chances, but not great ones.

Here we go with the shootout.

You've gotta love it.

Oh, brutal, the Isles goalie got taken down on that goal, but it was by his own guy.

What a shot to the nuts.

The guy's got Yoda on the back of his mask.

I cannot root against him now. No possible way.

Sorry, Santa, go Isles.

He did it again.

Sorry, Santa, that's a tough beat. But you've gotta root for that kid. What a shootout win for him.

That guy won four straight games for the Isles and he f**king won that shootout. Good for him.

Now, sadly, we won't get the Leafs in the playoffs, but the Isles are a good story.

I wish we could drop out say the 'Ning and put in the Leafs. But maybe that's just me.

He did it again.

Sorry, Santa, that's a tough beat. But you've gotta root for that kid. What a shootout win for him.

no doubt Joe, couldnt ask for a better ending to the season, well I could , lmao but no excuses for the Leafs ie Clemmonson, no regrets as they did what needed to be done last night.

Isles just did what needed to be done more:shake:

now I need a beer... kind of a shame now that the Leafs are out to only have 3 Canadian teams in, but what can ya do...

looking forward to going over the matchups tomorrow when I sober up and my heart rate slows to normal

That was the ultimate tease for the Leafs & fans.

At this point I recall my bet on the Leafs at NYI. UP 2-0 & a disallowed goal to boot, and those fuckers lose in extra time for me. Nice to know that result, which cost me money, cost them the post season.

I was going to bet the Isles here, too, but figured the number would suck. Frankly, I'm kind of glad I didn't. I'd have had a heart attack.

So now, it's time to start 'capping these series.

I never thought in my wildest dreams that there is a goalie worst than Raycroft.

Scott Clemonson was brutal in the shootout. Even a maniquan has more movements than him. Just brutal.

I think he was waiting for guys to make the first move, but apparently that doesn't work when your five hole is the size of the Sahara. Then they just blow it by you.

all the players should have known dubie poke checks... something like 6 of 8 on the SO so far he tried the poke check...

I didn't know about that, Santa, but if that's true that was sort of poor coaching--particularly on the last one. Because at that point, Dube couldn't lose the game, he could only give up the tie. So it was that much more likely that he'd take a chance.

Sure enough, he did and he won with it.

In that spot you've got to give your guys that info.

Not that it's a huge loss for the Devils, but still, it's interesting to know.

Now the Devils get the 'Ning, a team I've seen zero minutes of hockey from this year so I have no idea what that series holds.

FWIW...standings with no shootouts...

Right now:

(1)Ottawa - 103
(2)New Jersey Devils - 96
(3)Atlanta - 90
(4)Buffalo - 103
(5)Pittsburgh - 95
(6)Carolina - 88
(7)Toronto - 87
(8)Montreal - 85
---------------------
(9)NY Rangers - 85
(10)Florida - 84
(11)NY Islanders - 83
(12)Tampa Bay - 83
(13)Washington - 69
(14)Boston - 67
(15)Philadelphia - 55

AND..the west

(1) Detroit - 111 points
(2)Vancouver - 100 points
(3)Anaheim - 106 points
(4)San Jose - 105 points
(5)Nashville - 104 points
(6)Dallas - 98 points
(7)Minnesota - 94 points
(8)Calgary - 93 points
------------------------
(9)Colorado - 88 points
(10)St. Louis - 75 points
(11)Columbus - 68 points
(12)Edmonton - 68 points
(13)Chicago - 65 points
(14)Los Angeles - 64 points
(15)Phoenix - 60 points

What's really, really interesting about that, Ripped, is that those standings might be be more representative and therefore a better indicator for the playoffs.

Joe, dont quote me on teh exact 6 of 8, but it was something like that, 6 of 9...

heard it during the Leafs / Isles game broadcast on Thursday too, its his thing apparently all teh way from AHL on up. Getting aggressive on the SO is a good thing, take it to teh shooter etc

i had seen that Ripped, but am behind the SO, Leafs in or out... it makes for a better game in the regular season with teams not just going for the 1 pt an getting out of town.

only negative, and Im by no means saying to change it, but if its good for the regular season its good for the playoffs. Only thing is, NHL has been like that forever.

Nothing beats a sudden death OT in the 7th game

What's really, really interesting about that, Ripped, is that those standings might be be more representative and therefore a better indicator for the playoffs.

I know.....I really hate the Senators being a Leaf fan but I think they're really flying under the radar this year and that could be a good thing given that there isn't much pressure on them compared to years past.

Back