Weeknight CFB...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
THIS, all from the Tulsa world...

A surging Tulsa team has won 10 of its past 12 games, beginning with last year's 34-17 win at Southern Miss. The Hurricane dominated the second half, scoring 27 unanswered points.

Southern Miss is a stout opening test. The Golden Eagles are 3-1 and had a league-opening 19-14 victory at UCF on Sept. 26.

KEYS for TULSA

1. Don't allow highlight-reel plays

Southern Miss has had 21 plays from scrimmage totaling 20 yards or more this season. Many of the Eagles' big plays involve freshman running back Damion Fletcher. TU must not miss tackles on Fletcher and its secondary can't be fooled by play-action passes.

2. Finish off drives with TDs
Tulsa opened the season with 11 straight scores in the red zone before stalling twice against Navy. TU needs to take advantage of deep drives with touchdowns, not field goals. Easier said than done 1/3 the Eagles' defense has allowed the third-fewest number of TDs nationally since 1999.

3. Thirty-something
The 30-point barrier has been a measuring stick for TU in Steve Kragthorpe's 42-game coaching career. The Hurricane has won 20-of-24 games when hitting that mark, including a 34-17 triumph in Hattiesburg last season.

Tulsa run offense vs. Southern Miss run defense
Tarrion Adams' status for this game is unknown. Brandon Diles and Courtney Tennial are bruising backs that'll challenge Southern Miss' defensive line. Freshman Dexter Taylor may get a few more touches. Southern Miss has only allowed one rusher to gain more than 58 yards.
Advantage: Even

Tulsa pass offense vs. Southern Miss pass defense
Wide receivers Ryan Bugg and Idris Moss have developed into playmakers, combining for 449 yards on 27 catches. Quarterback Paul Smith threw for a career-high 285 yards and three touchdowns versus Navy. Southern Miss already has seven interceptions this season.
Advantage: Tulsa

Southern Miss run offense vs. Tulsa run defense
Freshman Damion Fletcher will be Conference USA's next star. The running back is averaging 122.8 yards per game, which ranks seventh nationally. Tulsa, with more depth at defensive line, held run-oriented Navy to 66 yards below its average.
Advantage: Southern Miss

Southern Miss pass offense vs. Tulsa pass defense
Tulsa's secondary recorded four interceptions against Southern Miss last season, but only has three this season. Southern Miss hasn't given up a sack all season. Shawn Nelson is the favorite target of quarterback Jeremy Young.

Special teams
Southern Miss kicker Darren McCaleb is one of C-USA's best. The Eagles had a punt block against UCF. Tulsa has blocked two fi eld goals and a punt this season, but has been erratic in its kicking game, with a 28-yard fi eld-goal miss and three kickoffs going out of bounds.
Advantage: Southern Miss

Intangibles
Tulsa has won 10 of 12 games, beginning with last year's dominating win at Southern Miss. Host TU takes its fi rst step toward defending its C-USA title on national TV. Southern Miss, with its tradition, won't be fazed playing in big games.

I made the game a little higher. I'm not betting big, but I am on the favorite for a little.

Prediction: Tulsa 31, Southern Miss 23
The play: Tulsa for a small bet

GL all...

:shake:

This, from Anthony Hanshew of the Huntington Herald-Dispatch...

HUNTINGTON -- Marshall football players and coaches have had their fill of forgettable first quarters.

As much as penalties, turnovers and a punishing schedule, slow starts have led to a 1-3 record entering Conference USA action. Opponents have piled up a combined 44 points before Marshall's first score this season.

First quarter deficits have been a theme against West Virginia (14-0), Hofstra (14-0), Kansas State (7-0) and Tennessee (9-0). Marshall obviously would prefer not to battle uphill again on Wednesday against the University of Central Florida.

The Herd and UCF kick off in a duel of 1-3 teams at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Joan C. Edwards Stadium. ESPN2 will televise the game.

"This year I really can't say what it would be like being on top of a team early because this entire season we've been playing from behind," Marshall quarterback Bernard Morris said.

Another slow start led to last year's 23-13 loss at UCF. Morris was knocked free from the ball on the second play from scrimmage, leading to a 5-yard, Steven Moffett-to-Brandon Marshall touchdown pass.

The Golden Knights' 7-0 lead less than five minutes into the game extended to 17-0 at halftime and 20-0 midway through the third quarter.
"We didn't start fast last year," Morris said. "They got on top of us and never looked back."

Considering the circumstances, Thundering Herd coach Mark Snyder expects UCF's best shot. The Golden Knights have lost three straight, including last week's C-USA opener against Southern Miss.

"You need to get back on the winning track and I'm sure they'll come in focused," Snyder said.

Morris isn't dodging the personal significance of Wednesday's game.

The Orlando, Fla., native grew up just minutes from the Citrus Bowl, home of UCF football. With dozens of family and friends in attendance, Morris was pulled from last season's loss.

He completed eight of 13 passes for 72 yards in the disappointing setback. Morris is among eight Florida natives on Marshall's roster.

"Nobody talks about it as much as I do because I know Moffett; I know (UCF leading wide receiver) Mike Walker," Morris said. "This means so much to me to get this win. Last year I started on what was basically my home field because I played all of my high school games there and we didn't get the win.

"That was very disappointing to me and I don't want to have that feeling again."

Snyder is well-aware that he might have to deal with an adrenaline-rushed quarterback early on Wednesday.

"I would hope, being a competitor that this is going to be special for him," Snyder said. "Steven Moffett played against him in high school and he knows a lot of those guys, as do a lot of our Florida guys.

"I hope it does mean something special to him. But from my standpoint, he still just has to go out and let the game come to him."

My take:

UCF off a bad loss in which they outplayed the other team... has had basically same prep time (give or take a couple of days).

I realize the Marshall movie deal with Matthew McConaghey or whatever is gonna be tomorrow and no doubt will that be a chilling deal - but UCF is more talented and a little better on both sides. I made UCF the favorite and would have been happy to bet it at a PICK 'em. POints are merely bonus.

The play: C. Florida plus 3.5 for a medium bet...

GL Rex - nice points on the Tulsa matchups. I was very impressed they could knock off Navy in Annapolis. Being able to get that Navy team off the field is not an easy task.

CKR,

With you on CF tonight!!!!!! Question for you, how are your CATS going to respond against South Carolina on Saturday. I know CATSFAN is taking South Carolina, what do you have to say about the game, knowing that South Carolina is 4-1 SU & ATS vs. Kentucky at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

:bow:

nice hits Rexie.....winning money on these weeknight games are like double hits ....lol...

GL rest of the week..

Thanks fellas.

Will be on Florida State if it goes below 10.

Also will be betting TCU moneyline and have taken 3. Will try to tell why later if and when I get time...

FSU wins big!

I don't know what your reasoning behind FSU, but I think personally FSU turned the corner in their last game. The Seminoles ran the ball at will against Rice and N.C. State has been run on all year long (by far inferior teams). FSU always has talent and I think the O-Line is finally healthy and ready to roll over the Wolfpack. The Wolfpack is way down as evidence of their loss to Akron and blowout at the hands of an average Southern Miss team! I think FSU is going to run the ball down the Wolfpacks throats, opening up an ocassional play action pass downfield for big yardage. B.C. had the Wolfpack game wrapped up with a 4th and 1 at the Pack 22 and couldn't finish this team off, FSU will not make the same mistake! I know that Amato has done well against FSU, but that was with teams that had far superior talent to this Wolfpack team. Throw in the fact that N.C. State actually went to Tallahassee and won a turnover filled game last year and I think 10 or below actually looks like a generous line!

Exploiter: More or less you said it. Revenge game deal too, and Bobby knows they need to win out to win the division.

I just laid 9.5 for a small bet.

On TCU for a little more. Billy is on the favorite but I thought taking 3 was the right thing, and I also took some plus-125 earlier today. Ballard is healthy enough to go and the Froggies traditionally do well after a loss under Patterson. Expect a rebound tonight...

GL!

On it too playa...

TCU 30 Utah 17

Utah has 13 points and 365 yards in two combined games vs boise st and UCLA. Unless Utah can throw the ball all over the field tonight and make the plays byu and their passing game were making I dont see how their offense gets rolling tonight.

The one thing Im not a big fan of is jeff ballard and his limited practicing recently due to his shoulder being a little nicked up. But the kids a gamer so you know he'll be out there. The backup, marcus jackson was 11/13 for 148 yards and two td's vs baylor in week one so there isnt much of a dropoff in terms of having a backup capable of running the offense tonight.

Back