Week One Early Discussion

Sparky1019 said:
I haven't made a final decision yet until I see preseason. Just like NFL. But at this point UCLA had a really good team last year. Even though it just came to me that they don't have lost Maurice Drew. But I still think them, as well as Miami (Florida) and Notre Dame will be the teams to contend with this year. No more initial reasoning to it. Sorry if this doesn't help out much.

I didn't mean to put you on the spot here and I know you were just listing some lines that looked good to you off the top of your head.
beerchug.gif

Just to give you a "head's up" before you lay money on UCLA, they have had some key losses off their successful team from last year:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]KEY LOSSES[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OFFENSE:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2] Drew Olson-QB, Marcedes Lewis-TE, Mike McCloskey-C, Robert Cleary-OG, Ed Blanton-OT, Maurice Drew-TB (NFL)[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DEFENSE: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Wesley Walker-OLB, Justin London-ILB, Spencer Havner-ILB, Marcus Cassel-CB, Jarrad Page-SS [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

UCLA will be losing 58% of their RB production; 100% of their QB production; 41% of their WR production; 2.58 of OL experience; and 44% of their defensive production. These are pretty substantial and I think it's safe to say that they will be "rebuilding" this season.

On the other hand, after a disappointing 7-5 season last year, Utah brings back 16 starters as well as a score of experienced players. They look to be back to their championship level this season and will contend with BYU and TCU for the Mountain West Conference Title.

beerchug.gif

Prepare for the upset

pags11 said:
if Utah gets to +7, I'll be interested...

I've made the line Utah -6 for this game and I think the Utes have a very good shot at the SU win. At the very least, there will not be much if any home field advantage for the Bruins since students do not begin classes until 3 weeks later. The Utes will travel well for this one and have very good crowd support. UCLA starts a new QB and loses their top RB from last year. There are other reasons, but that should be enough.

Get as many points as possible on Utah and play 'em.

I just don't see Utah being favored rju...and you know I respect your opinion...UCLA still has a nice HFA and has the other Olson at QB and the back-up RB from last year is still pretty talented...+7 to +7.5 represents a lot of value for me with Utah...

Vandy +30 is a good call....Michigan is always shaky in their first game. Love the Miami 'Canes -3.5. I think it will go down as the game gets closer because everyone will get on the FSU bandwagon. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

pags11 said:
I just don't see Utah being favored rju...and you know I respect your opinion...UCLA still has a nice HFA and has the other Olson at QB and the back-up RB from last year is still pretty talented...+7 to +7.5 represents a lot of value for me with Utah...

pags, I think anytime you can look at a game where 1 dog has a good chance of winning SU and is catching more than +4 points, THAT'S good value. We all see things a little different though and I understand this. I'd love to get it at +7 or +7.5 myself.
beerchug.gif

Oklahoma -28 vs. UAB: Oklahoma has the best defense in the nation -- and they are deep as well! Hackney is gone and Brown has already admitted back in the Spring that they will have to rely a lot on their RBs this season and the run game. They will not be able to run against Oklahoma! I seriously don't think UAB will score a single point!

**IF YOU CAN GET ONE OF THOSE PROP BETS THAT WILL LET YOU TAKE AN O/U ON UAB'S TEAM POINT TOTAL IN THIS GAME, TAKE THE UNDER! I'M THINKING THEY MAY ACTUALLY GIVE UAB A 14 POINT TOTAL OR BETTER WHICH SHOULD BE EASY MONEY FOR US! BE LOOKING FOR IT!**

I was looking at this game a bit more in-depth tonight and noticed a major height/weight disadvantage at the UAB CB positions against Oklahoma's WRs. ALSO, there is a major size -- height and weight -- advantage on Oklahoma's offensive line in contrast to UAB's. I think Oklahoma should have no problems presenting a balanced attack against UAB the entire game.
beerchug.gif

my only concern is that OU hasn't covered many of the big spreads in rescent years at home, but no way in hell I bet UAB here...

Back