Week of September 4th thru 6th Plays and Analysis Thread (Plays added)

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
8-4 + 7.20 units.

I cannot complain with th first week as I was able to get a nice start to the season. Last nights game still stings though. Thats football for you. It's going to happen. Dave Wannstedt certainly should be on the hotseat now. Felt very good up 14-0 in that game but turnovers were killer to say the least. Feel solid about my capping though. Leaned to Colly, Kentucky and Fresno as well but never pulled the trigger. Just didn't have enough time to get to those games in full.

From a local perspective. Utah is a very good team and obviously the final score isn't indicative of how well they played. They are faster than I thought and have an excellent defense. I like how Michigan adapted in 2nd half and how they wouldn't quit. Going to be a fall of ups and downs but thats alright. Sparty just had too many mistakes out in Berkely. Thought Ringer would play better. Dell was excellent though and they needed to find that go-to receiver. More on Western and Central Michigan later in the thread.

Texas Tech -9.5 -110 5 units

Some observations from the Red Raiders game against Eastern Washington. I think the final score is quite deceiving. You gotta look inside these boxscores at little things. You'll gain an edge this way each and every game you cap. The yardage difference was 536-341. Thats actually a bit low for Texas Tech especially in a OOC game. Yo ualso expect TT to score a bit more against foes such as. They missed two FG's in 4th qtr and also got stopped at the EWU 3yard line in the 3rd quarter. The biggest thing though is they had 18 penalties for 169 yards. That sort of stuff tends to happen when your not totally focused on an inferior opponent. I expect that to change this week. On trhe other side of the ball EWU stats are skewed no doubt. They had just 22 yards rushing and only 40 yards total in the first half. They had two long drives in the third quarter that encompassed 10 minutes in gametime. Those both went for TD's but one was aided by a Texas Tech muffed punt. Basically throw out the third quarter for the Red Raiders. They never had the ball all too much. Ewu also went for it a few times obviously in 4th as the game was out of reach. They lost the T.O.P. game and hence didn't have as many scoring opportunities.

Nevada posted a 49-13 win over Grambling State. Interesting that Nevada ran 53 times for 426 yards but still lost the T.O.P. by 2 minutes. Grambling was stuffed against the run but that doesn't bother me too much. Texas Tech is going to pass, pass and pass some more. GSU was decen through the air completing 13 of 27 for 205 yards(8.3 pp). This was only a 21-0 game at halftime. Seems to me(without watching this "battle") that Grambling wore out a bit in the second half.

I really like this Texas Tech team this year. I think their defense, although not good, is better than in recent campaigns. Harrell to Crabtree and company is a fun thing to watch. Getting this under 10 was great to me. I expected higher to be honest. I know some of the early birdies even got a better number. I know its road and its chalk but the bottom line is I think they can run this team off the field. Don't usually have to worry about backdoors with Leach at the helm. I see them rolling and absolutely love this play. Looking for say a 55-24 final.

Northwestern -6.5 -110 3 units

This is what situational cappers would call a wet dream. Another line I am suprised at but will happily take. Guys like Spek and VK have covered this game quite well. Northwestern is dangerous this year and should have no problem here. If they cannot get motivated for this one they shouldn't be out on the field. Always like road games in non-hostile enviroments as well.

Wyoming -3 -110 3 units

Back to the well baby! I really do think that this line got overdramatized after last week. I was hesitant at first, I won't lie but the bottom line is styles here conflict and we get the better end of it. One thing Wyoming did very well last week was the run defense. We are tallking under two ypc. Less than 40 yards rushing is phenomenol. Ohio was able to go with the passing game but thats something the Flyboys don't have in their arsenal. They lost their leader in Carney and a lot on defense. The trenches imo are a mismatch and we should see Wyoming dominate this game. I was close to playing more but feel more comfortable at this size play..lol.

CMU/Georgia O56-110 2 units

Think we'll see a lot of scoring in this game. Looking back at the Georgia-Goergia Southern tilt their was plenty of offense in the 45-21 final. Georgia actually gave up 300 yards to their instate opponent. Another thing I liked from that game was their was 25 total possessions. Thats the ball changing hands over 6 times a quarter. Offense can do some work that way and get some scores. Central Michigan beat Eastern Illinois 31-12 in the first week. The opposing QB was able to pass for over 200 yards on 19-28. We've seen CMU go into Clemson last year and get hammered 70-0. Well, they will prolly lose pretty soundly again but not as bad and they should be able to put up some points for themselves as well. A final of 45-21 sounds about right.

WMU/NIU O54 -110 2 units

Northern Illinois almost got a win over the Big 10 up at the Dome on Saturday. They gave up a score with 22 seconds left. They had another shot but couldn't get it in the endzone as time expired. Their was 800 yards combined offense in this game(600 passing). NIU had a very nice per pass average(11.2) on 17-29 for 326 yards. Yes its Minny's defense but impressive enough. I was really looking into Western Michigan week one at Nebraska. I didn't pull the trigger as their was a few concers for me and luckily I didn't as the Huskers spoked them 47-24. Hiller was excellent as advertised as he passed for 342 yards. They couldn't run at all though amassing just 8 yards on the ground. Another game where their was a nice amount of drives with 29. I'll take that all day. Gotta like passing teams for overs. I think we'll get to this one pretty easily. Both teams around 30 is my projection covering this easily.

Good luck to everyone this week. I have a few others I will dive into but thats it for now.

Last edited:
You gotta look inside these boxscores at little things. You'll gain an edge this way each and every game you cap.

cheers to that. Nice boxscore analysis on both ends of this game BAR. Those hidden yards of 18 penalties for a 169 yards is huge. The 13 points they allowed to GSU is deceiving too. Grambling had a 10 play 64 yard drive , a 9 play 64 yard drive and a 10 play 85 yard drive that all resulted in zero points.

Nevada used a lot of no huddle in this game as well.

I was thinking this game was coming out around that two td area and was thinking of nevada as a dog at that number. Was surprised where the line came out but then figured it might go to two td by kickoff. After reading your writeup i dont care if it gets there. Convinced me to stay away from wolfpack.

With nevada running the no huddle and texas tech fast pace , and the two combining for 1,238 yards of offense last week , what do you think of the over 64.5 ?

Suprised at the number on that as well VK. I honestly had just glanced over it. Reasoning. Like anyone, its no fun having side and total on same game. You don't do a full "box-in" when you chalk to the over but still it sucsk if Nevada had the ball late in game and needed them to score. That being said, I am going to look at it again. There will be many, many plays in this contest with the two styles colliding.

BOL this week, BAR. Card looks very solid, as always.:shake:

And thx for pushing me on/to Texas Tech. Just wish i'd have made it a full play before the line went up, but it is what it is.

:cheers:

Strangely enough, those are all on my card for this week and just waiting to pull on the Ball St/Navy over......GL this week and nice start to the season:smiley_acbe::cheers:

Looks good BAR. Im gonna tail you this week on the Northwestern except currently bookmaker has 7, I'm gonna grab that since its just going to go up from there.

GL! lets cash in:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good start to the '08 season, Big Guy. :tiphat:
I think I'll play TT and Wyoming.
But I'm probably the only person on the board who will be on Dook.
I think Cutliffe makes a huge difference, and NW has to show me more than they did last week to gain my respect.
Good luck on those totals.:cheers:

BAR, your thoughts please.

Tulane/Bama Hova 44
If Bama can put up 34 against Clemson, I think it's reasonable to believe they can put up more against Tulane. So, the question becomes will Bama try to run up the score? My answer: yes. Saban will keep Bama nation hyper. He opens with a convincing win over ACC-favorite Clemson, then blows out a small Louisiana school (since they give Bama so much trouble) at the home opener. Add to this that Tulane's HC Toledo has an offensive mind, so I would think Bama allows a garbage TD or two at the end of the game. With the spread and the total, Vegas is expecting a 37-7 win by Bama. I could see Tulane getting out of Tuscaloosa with only a TD, but will Bama only post 37 against Tulane?

Wake/Ole Miss Hova
I don't have an in-depth write-up for this one, just the fact that both these offenses seem to be clicking right out of the gate. I realize Ole Miss's D is better than Baylor's and Wake's D is better than Memphis's, but I favor offense in this game.

wyoming makes me cringe..hard for me to back shit teams..

love TT..get em bro.

Love Wyoming in this spot....Card looks sold....Will be on more than a few of these...Rolling with SC tonight?

BAR, your thoughts please.

Tulane/Bama Hova 44
If Bama can put up 34 against Clemson, I think it's reasonable to believe they can put up more against Tulane. So, the question becomes will Bama try to run up the score? My answer: yes. Saban will keep Bama nation hyper. He opens with a convincing win over ACC-favorite Clemson, then blows out a small Louisiana school (since they give Bama so much trouble) at the home opener. Add to this that Tulane's HC Toledo has an offensive mind, so I would think Bama allows a garbage TD or two at the end of the game. With the spread and the total, Vegas is expecting a 37-7 win by Bama. I could see Tulane getting out of Tuscaloosa with only a TD, but will Bama only post 37 against Tulane?

Wake/Ole Miss Hova
I don't have an in-depth write-up for this one, just the fact that both these offenses seem to be clicking right out of the gate. I realize Ole Miss's D is better than Baylor's and Wake's D is better than Memphis's, but I favor offense in this game.

Interesting on Tulane/Bama game. You may be on to something there. Remember, they put up a lot of points for having run the ball so much. Pretty impressive with the new clock rules and whatnot. Thats also with 3 FG's. Those are more than likely TD's against Tulane. Def. would lean to the hova there.

I had Ole Piss last week. There was a combind 900 yards offense in that game. Was a lot of that Memphis from late? I understand they had to pass a lot more early with such a quick deficit. That always helps yardage totals and sometimes points scored. No definitive lean here but can see where your going with the 46.5

wyoming makes me cringe..hard for me to back shit teams..

love TT..get em bro.

Wyoming was giving me the willies at first as well. I had to put last week aside and look objectively and think this is a line overreaction. 'Boys will get the job done.

Love Wyoming in this spot....Card looks sold....Will be on more than a few of these...Rolling with SC tonight?

Thanks brah. Been flip-flopping on this game all week. Prolly best to sit out. Love some of the stuff I have heard in last 12 hours or so that would make me lean to the Gamecocks though. Maybe Bob will stuff it down to like 8...lol..yeah right.

Great start BAR - thanks for the all of the write-ups.

With you on Wyoming and looking at WMU TT over 29.5. BOL this week.

Thanks brah. Been flip-flopping on this game all week. Prolly best to sit out. Love some of the stuff I have heard in last 12 hours or so that would make me lean to the Gamecocks though. Maybe Bob will stuff it down to like 8...lol..yeah right.

lol I think there is a better chance that he knocks it down then bumps it up...You are right it is probably best to sit out if you are flip flopping (me in NFL tonight) BUT then again I am a degenerate and will have a play on the game lol...BOL on whatever you decide..

Beauty of a week 1. GL this week. I personally promise that Wyoming cashes. Oh and here's a cool pic of the Michigan stadium that was taken by a Utah fan last weekend.

-1389476202_photo5.jpg

CMU/Georgia O56-110 2 units

Think we'll see a lot of scoring in this game. Looking back at the Georgia-Goergia Southern tilt their was plenty of offense in the 45-21 final. Georgia actually gave up 300 yards to their instate opponent. Another thing I liked from that game was their was 25 total possessions. Thats the ball changing hands over 6 times a quarter. Offense can do some work that way and get some scores. Central Michigan beat Eastern Illinois 31-12 in the first week. The opposing QB was able to pass for over 200 yards on 19-28. We've seen CMU go into Clemson last year and get hammered 70-0. Well, they will prolly lose pretty soundly again but not as bad and they should be able to put up some points for themselves as well. A final of 45-21 sounds about right.

Like it. GL

The more I look at it, BAR, the more I'm liking that Georgia OVA too. I actually think CMU can put up 10 there.

I hate to be record police here, but I know you didn't mean to do it, and it might screw you up down the road. Didn't you go 8-4 not 8-3 with loses on Tenn, Wyoming, Pitt and Miami OH?

I hate to be record police here, but I know you didn't mean to do it, and it might screw you up down the road. Didn't you go 8-4 not 8-3 with loses on Tenn, Wyoming, Pitt and Miami OH?

That totally makes sense.

LOL, I too was wondering.

I added a few "action" plays Thursday so my numbers are a bit different overall.

Northwestern -6.5 -110 3 units

This is what situational cappers would call a wet dream. Another line I am suprised at but will happily take. Guys like Spek and VK have covered this game quite well. Northwestern is dangerous this year and should have no problem here. If they cannot get motivated for this one they shouldn't be out on the field. Always like road games in non-hostile enviroments as well.

I LOVE IT!!!

Might make this my 500* Windsor Game of the Week!

Back