• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Week of October 18th-20th Plays and Analysis Thread

Lloyd being Lloyd concerning an injury

Here's what Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr had to say on the Big Ten's teleconference Monday afternoon regarding the injury status of star tailback Mike Hart.

On whether Hart can offer his input about whether he's ready to play: "Well, I think, you know the injury that he has it's always a lot to do with how a player feels. Ultimately you have to watch him, and as a coach and as a trainer, and make determinations from there. Certainly any player with an injury of that type is ... It has a lot to do with how they feel and then we go from there once they indicate they're ready to play."
On whether it's easy to tell if a running back's injured ankle is bothering him: "My experience is what happens on one Saturday can change dramatically towards the end of the next week. Depending on the seriousness of the injury it's more obvious in some cases than others."

Turnovers and other misc UM notes

Last year's University of Michigan defense was reputed for stopping the run. Talk of the Wolverines' D this season frequently turns to takeaways.

Through seven games, the Wolverines rank second nationally behind Cincinnati with 23 takeaways, thirteen of which have come in the past three weeks.
"It's really (about) getting a lot of guys to the ball,'' Michigan senior strong safety Jamar Adams said Monday. "The more guys on the ball, the more the running back's getting hit from different directions and the ball kind of squirts out of there.
"In the passing game, guys are executing their drops a lot better, the defensive line is getting a pass rush where the quarterbacks kind of have to throw the ball up there sometimes.''
And when that happens, the Wolverines are getting interceptions. Eleven, to be precise.
Adams, free safety Brandent Englemon and cornerback Morgan Trent have two apiece. Nickelback Brandon Harrison has one, as does safety Stevie Brown, linebackers John Thompson and Obi Ezeh and defensive end Tim Jamison.
On the fumble front, defensive end Brandon Graham has forced three, while Jamison and linebacker Shawn Crable have forced two each. Cornerback Donovan Warren leads the Wolverines with a pair of fumble recoveries.
"Certainly it's been a big part of our play in the last month,'' Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said. "We've not only caused turnovers, we've taken advantage of them offensively by scoring quite a few touchdowns when we get the ball.''
Michigan's next opportunity to increase its takeaway total comes Saturday against Illinois (5-2, 3-1 Big Ten), which has committed 14 turnovers.

Lineup Update
The makeup of the offensive line this week isn't set in stone, but it seems likely that the Steve Schilling at right guard and Mark Ortmann at right tackle combination will continue for a third game.
"You can tell, the more time they get in there with those positions, they get more comfortable,'' Michigan left tackle Jake Long said.
Schilling started the season at right tackle, but switched to right guard when the team's top two players at the position got hurt. Ortmann then came off the bench to move into Schilling's old position.
The line may not revert to its original makeup until starting right guard Alex Mitchell fully recovers from a sprained knee.
"It may be another week (for Mitchell),'' Carr said. "But we're working hard to get him back.''
At middle linebacker, Carr said he expected middle linebacker Thompson (ankle) to be at full strength. Ezeh, who has started the last three games at the position, is still listed as the starter.
Carr added that he hopes backup weakside linebacker Brandon Logan will return to action this week.

Back to the night
For the first time this season, and the first time since the Penn State game last year, the Wolverines will play at night. Michigan, which is 21-10 overall in night games, beat the Nittany Lions 17-10 in 2006.
"One of the great environments I've ever been in, in college football, was at Penn State,'' Carr said. "There was an electricity there because of a lot of things.
"I think the same thing will happen this week. It is a game where you know there's a lot on the line because of the season.''
Michigan has played Illinois after dark only once, beating the Fighting Illini 35-31 in 2000.

Minnesota game time
Michigan's Oct. 27 home game against Minnesota is set for a 3:30 p.m. kickoff. It will be broadcast by ESPN Classic.

Interesting MSU-tOSU article

EAST LANSING -- They are united by a common maize and blue enemy. And, Michigan State and Ohio State are kindred spirits in many ways.

OSU favored Michigan State's admission to the then-Big Nine in the late 1940s while Michigan vigorously opposed it. So what if the move was self-serving in the sense that Buckeye officials saw Michigan State as a threat take recruits away from U-M.
Then in 1973, after Ohio State and Michigan ended the regular season undefeated following their 10-10 tie in Ann Arbor, the Big Ten athletic directors held a secret vote to decide which team would represent the conference in the Rose Bowl. Rumor had it that MSU cast the deciding vote that delighted the Buckeyes and outraged the Wolverines.
But, the ties that bind the two programs resemble a bowl of spaghetti now that Mark Dantonio is the head coach of the Spartans.
Everybody should know by now that Dantonio was a graduate assistant at Ohio State while Buckeye head coach Jim Tressel coached Buckeye quarterbacks, receivers and running backs in the early 1980s. Dantonio later served as Tressel's defensive coordinator at Youngstown State from '86-90, and at OSU from 2001-03.
Spartan offensive coordinator Don Treadwell was also on Tressel's Youngstown State staff ('86-91). MSU linebackers coach Mike Tressel is the son of OSU running backs coach Dick Tressel who is an older brother of Jim Tressel.
Buckeye offensive coordinator and line coach Jim Bollman was the MSU O-line coach under Nick Saban (95-97) while OSU safeties coach Paul Haynes was the Spartan cornerbacks coach under John L. Smith ('03-04).
Michigan State tackles and tight ends coach Mark Staten was a graduate assistant for Tressel in Columbus ('02-03). Meanwhile, strength and conditioning coach Ken Mannie was a Buckeye grad assistant in '84 and earned his master's degree from OSU in '85. MSU director of player development Dino Folino began his coaching career as an OSU grad assistant under the late Woody Hayes ('74-75).
Even head trainer Jeff Monroe is a '72 graduate of Ohio State.
But it doesn't stop there.
"Obviously we know their coaching staff well," Tressel said. "I'm so old that I was (Treadwell's) position coach at Miami of Ohio in 1979. So I've known Donny for a long time. (MSU's) quarterback coach happens to be Dave Warner, who I was his quarterback coach at Syracuse in '80."
Ah, even more reasons for U-M to despise the Spartans

good stuff so far, bar. look forward to see if today brings any addiciones

Got a few of the totals we discussed and a few sides that will prolly make the cut tonight/today..just a little short on time right now but rest up tonight

thanks fellas...Great start!

lets do it again morrow night..I'll be back in morning with thoughts on the games...storms rolling in so will have to shut down the net for the night

kooky.
i'm debating hedging/middling illy...and kentucky still too...like we spoke about. kentucky cuz i'm having 2nd thoughts that the gators will blow them out. illy, cuz of dr bob creating a semi-nice middle.

UM/Illy thoughts? or are u planning on sticking it out w/ Illy?

Hell of a storm last night over here. The hail was so loud we couldn't hear each other talk.

Followed you on Rutgers. Nice hit! Love the Florida play. A fresh Florida team against a team prime for a massive letdown.

Quick Thoughts

Line went from Pk to 3.5 betwen VEGAS openeing and offshores opening. This game means much more to Uconn in my mind. UL has two losses and may still be in the race in this kooky season but at same point they had such high expectations starting the year. Uconn will run, run and run some more. Lorenzen and play-action will keep UL on their toes. Uconn should be able to put up a lot of points. Yes, UL will score but the Uconn defense is very solid and will get some stops. Homecoming and a statement game for the Huskies because they are not getting respected as of yet.

I will get more indepth on UM-Illy game right now. Mixed felings after Bobs move. basically, Illinois has ben pointing to this game for a long-time. It was a def lookahead aspot last week and a win here at night against a ranked team will be huge for Zok and the program. Again, Juice is the type of QB that gives us troubles. If he was anything of an accomplished passer I would say Illinois rolls. Hart will play but hopw effective will he be? As Hunt was telling me last night, a lot depends on what UM does to start game on offense. If they open up being aggressive in the passing game they could easily go into Champagne and walk away with the win. UM gets up for playing at night too. Looks as though Wisky and MSU games will be 3":30 affairs so this is the only one this year. Last year UM ent intio what Carr said was the most electric atmosphere ever at PSU and won 17-10. This is going to be a fun game. I wouldn't advise Illy as a play now though at the new line.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

You won head to head last night BAR...that TD called back on the punt was big...USF could have been up 24-10 with a lot of momentum.
With ya on NW tonight..let's get it done.

Auburn-LSU u42.5 -110
Miami-FSU u41.5 -110
Texas -24 -110 2 units
Colorado ML +150

Thats the rest of the card. Going back to the well again on FSU-Miami under. If either team hits twenty I will be shocked. LSU-Aubrun is going to be a brutal game much like last year. Aubbie shutting down Felix and D-Mac last week showed they are for real. Flynn is playing so shitty right now I don't know how LSU will generate offense. I see a 17-7 type of game here. Texas, it makes sense. Gotta go with my Horn boys on this play.

Like those under's....I never really looked at the totals this week, but now that you bring those 2 up, i may have to play them. on Texas as well
But on KU

Auburn-LSU u42.5 -110
Miami-FSU u41.5 -110

Texas -24 -110 2 units
Colorado ML +150
UNLV -3 -110
Northwestern -8.5 -110 2 units
Uconn +3.5 -115 2 units
Illinois +3 -110 2 units
Indiana +7.5 -110 2 units
Florida -6.5 -110 2 units

STEED,

A&M and Nebraska is a game I am still looking at. This much I know, NU is on a full tank mission right now. Kellar has no problem being shady and his line from last week indicates as much. This team has quit. Now, do they rally this week and show some life after this weeks firing? I dunno. Aggy is also a shit team that you can never count on. This though I think is key. Remember all those gaping holes in the USC-NU game in middle of defense. Aggy can take advantage of that big-time. They should be able to run for 300 yards or so if they come to play. Strong lean on Aggy.

Auburn-LSU u42.5 -110
Miami-FSU u41.5 -110
Texas -24 -110 2 units
Colorado ML +150
UNLV -3 -110
Northwestern -8.5 -110 2 units
Uconn +3.5 -115 2 units
Illinois +3 -110 2 units
Indiana +7.5 -110 2 units
Florida -6.5 -110 2 units

like the 1st two unders, texas, coloroado, unlv, nw, flor, and indiana.

Against ya on UConn.

I think Mich wins the game, I am no fan of Juice and at PK now, I don't see any value on Illy.

GL this weekend, I think I am going to give them unders a longer look def seems right

ETG, no way I would play Illy now at the Bob induced numbers. You have to have a FG in this game. I was hoping for 4.5 as the number but didn't get it. Oh well.

liking colorado and illinois... i don't think the +1 should scare ya big al... the illini win this game... good luck, my friend...:cheers:

Back