Week of July 8--Best CFB Stories on the Net

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Demand high for ND-USC

More than 61,000 Notre Dame alumni requested tickets for the school's Oct. 20 football game against USC, making it the second-most demanded ticket in school history.

The 61,685 tickets sought for the game is second only to the 66,670 alumni ticket requests received for last year's Penn State game, the school said.

Notre Dame Stadium holds 80,232 people. The school distributes about 32,000 tickets a game to alumni, undergraduate parents and benefactors, 16,000 to season ticket holders and 11,000 to students, with the remainder going to university use, faculty and staff and to opponents.The Sept. 22 game against Michigan State is the seventh-most demanded ticket with 55,149 requests and the Boston College game on Oct. 13 is eighth at 54,922.

With more ticket requested than are available, tickets are distributed by lottery. Notre Dame expects to mail refunds next week worth more than $8.6 million to unsuccessful lottery participants. That's the second most ever. Last year, the school sent refunds of $11.7 million.

Crimson Tide self-reports three football violations

Friday, July 06, 2007 IAN R. RAPOPORT
News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - The University of Alabama has self-reported three secondary violations committed by its football program since Oct. 16, 2006, according to documents obtained by The Birmingham News.

Two of the violations occurred after Nick Saban was announced as the Crimson Tide's coach on Jan. 4, though one of those happened "unbeknownst to (Saban and his) staff," documents say. Two of the violations involved a representative of athletics interest (booster) having an impermissible contact with a recruit.

The information was obtained by The News following a request made through the state's open records law. Additional information, such as names of those involved, was not available in the summary of reported violations committed from Oct. 16, 2006, through July 2, 2007.

"Secondary violations occur in all sports," said Chris King, UA associate athletics director for compliance. "The NCAA manual is so thick, they're going to happen. These violations were all isolated and inadvertent. It shows that our compliance system is working."

King said he and the coaching staff are working together to minimize such instances.

On Dec. 7, 2006, UA reported a booster had an impermissible contact with a prospective student-athlete during a game in a skybox area. This violated a bylaw that states, among other things, that such meetings cannot include more than a greeting. At the time of the episode, Mike Shula was still UA's coach.

In the Jan. 26, 2007, violation, an Alabama graduate assistant provided round-trip transportation for a recruit's mother and a family friend for a recruit's official visit to campus. NCAA rules state that a school cannot transport friends, relatives, or legal guardians for an official visit.

In the violation reported on Feb. 7, 2007, a booster had an in-person contact with a prospect at his high school. The booster, who provided the recruit with a book on the history of Alabama football, was sent a letter of reprimand.

The football staff "had no involvement" in the violation, according to a note attached.

Alabama athletics spokesman Doug Walker had said the school would soon send a report to the Southeastern Conference regarding allegations that Saban had improper contacts with three Miami-based prospects. The report has not yet been made available.

During the same time period last season, the football team committed two secondary violations.

Additionally, the baseball team; men's track and field team; women's track and field team; women's tennis team; and swimming and diving team committed one violation each.

It’s a gimme: Jackets won’t outclass Dogs

By Mark Bradley | Saturday, July 7, 2007, 06:19 PM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
mark_bradley.mug.jpg

Mark Bradley

<!---->
Perhaps you saw the “Gimme 5” in which an editor of Athlon Sports listed five reasons why Georgia Tech (which Athlon ranks No. 14) will have a better season than Georgia (No. 16.) Perhaps you even agreed. If so, you’re wrong. Tech won’t be better, nor will it beat Georgia on Nov. 24.

Here are 20 reasons why:

1. Chan Gailey: Pretty fair coach. Mark Richt: Really good coach.

2. Georgia’s No. 1 quarterback beat out three teammates for the job. Tech’s No. 1 quarterback couldn’t beat out Reggie Ball.

3. Last season should have been Georgia’s worst under Richt, and the Bulldogs still won nine games and finished in the AP Top 25.

4. Last season should have been Tech’s best under Gailey, and the Jackets still lost five games and finished out of the AP Top 25.

5. Chan Gailey: 0-5 against Georgia. Mark Richt: 6-0 against Tech.

6. Tech is welcoming what is believed to be a fine recruiting class. Georgia welcomes what is believed to be a fine recruiting class every single August.

7. For all the fuss made over Jon Tenuta’s defense, it should be noted that the Georgia D, coached by the unappreciated Willie Martinez, finished ahead of Tech last season in total defense, scoring defense, pass defense and turnovers created.

8. Tashard Choice is one of the nation’s best backs. Kregg Lumpkin will become one of the nation’s best backs when Georgia finally decides to keep giving him the ball.

9. Uga VI is always happy to pose for photographs. The Rambling Wreck has gotten camera-shy.

10. Chan Gailey: Respected more by NFL teams than by his carping constituency. Mark Richt: Beloved throughout Bulldog Nation.

11. Tech people believe the absence of Ball will constitute addition by subtraction. What Tech people haven’t fully grasped is that the absence of Calvin Johnson will constitute subtraction by subtraction.

12. The last Georgia coach to lose to Tech was fired nine days later. Talk about motivation to keep winning.

13. The last Tech coach to beat Georgia was largely responsible for all those new seats atop Bobby Dodd Stadium, for which Bulldogs fans are most grateful one Saturday every two years.

14. Tech has a new offensive coordinator in John Bond, who’s replacing Patrick Nix. Georgia has a new offensive coordinator in Mike Bobo, who’s essentially replacing Mark Richt. Point and counterpoint.

15. Chan Gailey: Has taken Tech to one ACC title game, where it managed two field goals. Mark Richt: Has taken Georgia to three SEC title games, where it managed two championships.

16. The SEC is the nation’s best football conference. The ACC might be the fifth best.

17. If Ball was as terrible as Tech fans now believe, how’d he win 29 games? And how come his coach never noticed?

18. This could well be Larry Munson’s last season. Would fate be so cruel as to allow the King of Worry to have all fears realized just as he bids farewell?

19. Chan Gailey: Has played Georgia five times and has seen his teams score a total of 56 points. Mark Richt: Saw his team score 51 points the first time it faced Gailey’s team.

20. I picked Tech over Georgia last year and was somewhat incorrect. I now feel about the Jackets beating the Bulldogs the way I used to feel about the Braves not winning the NL East: I’ll believe it only when I see it. I don’t expect to see it anytime soon.

But remember Hawaiiguy's post: His backup (Graunke) will come in to continue the beatdown.

[FONT=&quot]Posted on: Sunday, July 8, 2007[/FONT]
<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="width: 100%;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0in; width: 75pt;" valign="bottom" width="100"> <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:75pt; height:75pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\JOHNGA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg" o:href="http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/persbilde?Avis=M1&ID=FLEWIS&border=1&MaxW=100&Q=80"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->
</td> <td style="padding: 0in; width: 7.5pt;" width="10">
<o:p> </o:p>​
</td> <td style="padding: 0in;" valign="bottom"> Brennan won't be pouring it on
[FONT=&quot]By Ferd Lewis
Advertiser Columnist [/FONT]

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="MsoNormalTable" style="width: 0.75pt;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="1"> <tbody><tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0in;"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- // preset the variables to keep from getting js errors if the get content fails var topixcats = [ ]; var topixcrawled = 0; // Retrive js variables from topix var topixcats = [ ]; var topixcrawled = 1; //--> </script><script language="JavaScript"> <!-- var topixID=7016; if ( topixcats.length > 0 ) { document.write('<tr><td></td><td>'); document.write('<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%" bgcolor="#f0e8d9" class="subHeadline">'); document.write('<tr><td colspan="2">RELATED NEWS FROM THE WEB
</td></tr>'); document.write('<tr><td colspan="2">Latest headlines by topic:
'); document.write('<tr><td colspan="2">'); for( i = 0; i < topixcats.length; i++ ) { document.write('• ' + topixcats.name + '
'); } document.write('</td></tr>'); document.write('<tr><td colspan="2">Powered by Topix.net
</td></tr>'); document.write('</td></tr>'); document.write('</table>'); document.write('</td></tr>'); document.write('<tr height="10"><td>
transparent.gif
</td><td width="188">
transparent.gif
</td></tr>'); } //--> </script><o:p> </o:p>
</td> <td style="padding: 0in;"> <o:p> </o:p>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
A team to launch up the Top 25 polls. A Heisman Trophy candidate at quarterback. Twelve regular season games in which to do it.<o:p></o:p>
You might forgive <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">University</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Hawai'i</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> football coach June Jones for wanting to stick with Colt Brennan a little longer in games this season to make a point. Or, several dozen of them.<o:p></o:p>
So it was somewhat surprising, not to mention refreshing, to hear Jones say he actually intends to get backup quarterback Tyler Graunke more work — and Brennan an earlier hook — in games in which the Warriors open up big leads.<o:p></o:p>
"I want <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tyler</st1:place></st1:City> to play a lot this year. I'll probably take him (Brennan) him out a little sooner," Jones said last week at a luncheon.<o:p></o:p>
Voice prints have authenticated Jones as the speaker.<o:p></o:p>
The Brennan Line, the point at which college football's single-season record holder for touchdown passes (58) was removed from games, took on a remarkably early bent in 2006. In a season of pinball-like scores, four times Brennan got to watch the end of the third quarter from the sidelines. Twice more he exited with 11 minutes or more remaining in the fourth quarter. Rarely was he on the field to finish what he started.<o:p></o:p>
Which presented the Colt Quandary: Where does UH's self interest end and pouring it on begin? If the Warriors' fortunes go as expected this year, especially in the early going when the schedule is larded with Division I-AA teams and opponents coming off losing seasons, it could be a recurring question. And a potential problem, if you let it.<o:p></o:p>
In this season, above all, you want to afford Brennan an opportunity to show what he can do in the victories, giving him a chance to compete for awards and records. But not to the point of risking injury in unnecessary situations or giving even the perception of piling it on for the sake of statistics. Nothing would taint an honors candidacy faster.<o:p></o:p>
So it is reassuring to hear Jones reason that the statistics and records will accumulate on their own. That if Brennan is going to have a 600-yard game, it won't be because UH poured it on some overwhelmed victim or let Brennan linger dangerously.<o:p></o:p>
"If that (a 600-yard game) were to happen in a game that was close, then, that's good," Jones said. "(But) I'm not into stats. Really, I'm not. They happen in what we do. But I've never set out to do it, even when Timmy (Chang) was going after the national record (for career passing yardage in 2004). I knew it was going to happen. I didn't even have to try to do it."<o:p></o:p>
Jones maintains he is looking not only at this season but the future in deciding how long of a leash Brennan will play on. "He (Graunke) gets a lot of time, period, but he's going to be the guy next year (2008) and he's got to know how to do all those things under game conditions," Jones said.<o:p></o:p>
"How do you start your first game (in three seasons) at <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State> (the 2008 opener)? He's gotta be ready."<o:p></o:p>
By sticking with that game plan — and with a little luck — Brennan can bag his share of records and honors while the Warriors set the stage for his successor.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Update re ND QB situation:

Where the Huskies Go | by Jay

Is this nothing more than yellow snow? We report, you decide.

Despite Zach's protestations to the contrary (see previous entry: "I don't know who's going to start"), David Frazer (Zach's dad) talked to Dennis Dodd about the Irish QB iditarod:
"From what we know Sharpley is going to be the guy," David Frazer told me from his office in Harrisburg, Pa. "Jones will be put in for a few trick plays. Clausen won't play this year."

Wow. That lends credence to an unsubstantiated blog that surfaced earlier this summer. It stated that Clausen had surgery on his throwing elbow. No one has confirmed the surgery or Clausen's playing status.

But that would make sense. If Clausen is still healing from surgery it would be wise to sit him out.

"The way Charlie described it, he doesn't think he has the passing game this year," David Frazer said. "He wants somebody to throw it five yards (downfield). They're going to run it more.​
The editorialzing above is Dodd, and he gets the key points wrong (as Dodd is wont to do). He mentions the story on Clausen's elbow from an "unsubstantiated blog" (the story was immediately substantiated by ESPN), and claims nobody has confirmed Clausen's status (in fact, ND's Brian Hardin confirmed Clausen would be ready for practice on August 6th).

Leaving Doddy aside, the quotes from D. Frazer are interesting. The Sharpley-starting scenario is probably the one least-considered by the Irish grapevine; if Clausen wasn't ready for Georgia Tech, the conventional wisdom was coaslescing around DJ (especially with the Charlie-talks-spread-option-with Rich-Rod stuff). But we shouldn't forget Evan. By Charlie's own account, he had the best grasp on the offense coming out of the spring game, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in there under center against the Yellow Jackets.

Assessment Firesale! Is SMQ Out Of His Mind?! Every Team Must Go!
By SMQ
Posted on Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 09:12:29 AM EDT
</I>

salesman.jpg
No Hub for most of the week, at least, thanks to an unidentified 'net problem at home and Comcast's booked-solid local schedule - I'd like to know why I couldn't watch Entourage Sunday night, too, if it's not too much to ask - but I will be able to focus on closing out the Absurdly Premature/Reasonably Anticipatory Assessment series before getting around to on-the-record predictin'.
I only made it to about a third of the country since March, a sloth's pace, the entirety of which is listed below the jump. There's one more random offering today before I ask the esteemed readership to turn selection committee. Check them that's gone before, then drop a comment below (or for the registration averse, a line at sundaymorningqb-at-yahoo-dot-com) letting me know which team(s) you'd like to see go under the knife before the week's out. And, yes, this is a democracy: majority rules. Unless I decide otherwise.

<TABLE height=1 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width=750><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD>March 12: Tulane</TD><TD>March 13: Baylor</TD><TD>March 16: UCLA</TD><TD>March 20: Kentucky</TD></TR><TR><TD>March 21: Oregon</TD><TD>March 22: Arizona State</TD><TD>March 23: BYU</TD><TD>March 27: Missouri</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD>March 28: Troy</TD><TD>March 29: Iowa State</TD><TD>April 3: Alabama</TD><TD>April 4: Akron</TD></TR><TR><TD>April 5: Cincinnati</TD><TD>April 9: UL-Monroe</TD><TD>April 10: Army</TD><TD>April 11: Syracuse</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD>April 18: Florida</TD><TD>April 20: Southern Miss</TD><TD>April 25: Southern Cal</TD><TD>May 1: North Texas</TD></TR><TR><TD>May 3: SMU</TD><TD>May 8: Nevada</TD><TD>May 14: Tennessee</TD><TD>May 21: TCU <TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD>May 24: Notre Dame</TD><TD>May 29: UAB</TD><TD>May 30: Georgia</TD><TD>May 31: Temple</TD></TR><TR><TD>June 1: Houston</TD><TD>June 12: Wyoming</TD><TD>June 14: Nebraska <TD>June 25: Florida International</TD><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD>June 27: Oregon State</TD><TD>July 2: Michigan</TD><TD>July 6: Washington</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- poll box --><TABLE width="40%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End poll box --><!-- End center content section -->

Big 10 Network to Launch August 30 with Full Slate of Shit Games

In an effort to fulfill their promise of "event equality" - airing an equal number of men's and women's sports - the Big Ten Network has announced they will launch on Thursday, August 30th with a highlight show followed by a slew of football games the conference guarantees will be as unappealing and ass-boring as any of the women's lacrosse match ups or gymnastics competitions that new network will also broadcast.

The BTN, which is which is currently only being carried on Ron's Cable Service and Pet Food Emporium in Cheboygan, Michigan along with Viva Las Cable in the Dominican Republic, will kick of its schedule with the sure-to-be-instant-classics Appalachian State vs. Michigan, Youngstown State vs. Ohio State, Florida International vs. Penn State and Northeastern vs. Northwestern which has been re-dubbed the "You Say Tomato, I Say Tomoto Bowl."

"People were worried that they'd get screwed out of the excitement of Big 10 men's basketball and football due to our event equality policy," said Big 10 Commish and SEC-basher extraordinaire Jim Delany. "But as you can see from the football games we're airing, we've figured out a way to make everything about the new network as appealing as the debate of an agriculture bill on CSPAN."

Delany then blasted cable providers across America for not dropping HBO, CNN, Lifetime and the Weather Channel in order to carry the Big Ten Network. "If you need to know the weather, look out a fucking window," said Delany. "But if you look out that same window, can you see Penn State-Iowa women's water polo immediately followed by the Big 10 Fall Fencing Classic. Answer? Hell no!"

When reminded that by dropping Lifetime a lot of women's programming would be lost, Delany corrected himself saying he meant cable providers should can Spike TV and "all that crappy Japanese game show programming they show where the contestants always get hit in the nuts."

boring_tv+txt+2.jpg

Things Are Getting Out of Hand at Toledo

The Toledo Blade continues to hammer away at the Toledo athletic department. The latest: University officials bartered their way to $700,000 worth of goods and services in 2006.

Although barter-trade agreements are commonplace at many universities and legal, Toledo officials appeared to have taken the policy to an extreme. Akron, for example, engages in trade agreements totaling about $270,000.

One abuse cited at Toledo involves a $5,000 trade with Honey Baked Ham in 2004, of which $4,050 was used for gift certificates for athletic staff members. Another $500 was used for a staff Christmas party that year.

Football coach Tom Amstutz, above, drives a beefy 2007 Honda Ridgeline thanks to an arrangement with a local dealer.

Even the Blade entered barter agreements with the university. In exchange for advertising panels inside the Glass Bowl and Savage Hall, 100 reserved football season tickets and other items, Toledo received $82,400 worth of advertising space in the newspaper in 2006. Looks like some execs at the Blade are going to have to do without perks from now on. ...

Toledo President Lloyd Jacobs has already ordered a massive restructuring of the department, citing problems with team travel, lack of financial control and unlawful handling of medications.

Will Les Miles Replace Lloyd Carr?

Who is next in line to coach Michigan? It could be none other than Les Miles, the Louisiana State coach who appeared to damage some relationships last week with his comments about — among other things — voting Florida over Michigan in the USA Today poll after the Gators defeated Arkansas in the Southeastern Conference title game.

That vote helped to put Florida in the BCS title game over Michigan, which is where Miles played and later served as an assistant under Bo Schembechler.

Speculation continues to build that Wolverine coach Lloyd Carr will retire at season's end. In January, officials made a change in Carr's contract that has helped lead to reasoning that the coach, who turns 62 on July 30, will call it quits.

Previously Carr was promised a $300,000 bonus if he were employed as Michigan's coach on July 1, 2008. The new contract promises the bonus to Carr if he is employed by the university in any capacity until July 1. Again, in any capacity, meaning he doesn't have to be coach.

Jim Carty of the Ann Arbor News believes Miles has a better chance than most candidates to replace Carr. He writes:

"Miles has the resume — having thrived at both Oklahoma State and LSU — plus he's charismatic and is typically given rave reviews by former players, assistant coaches, and the people he's worked for. You add those qualities to top-notch recruiting, a stint in the NFL and his Michigan ties [former player and assistant coach], and there's a lot to like."

It could help that Miles had maintained a relationship with Schembechler, who died Nov. 17. Carty writes:

"There are still rumors kicking around that Schembechler and Miles had grown apart in recent years over some LSU vs. Michigan recruiting nonsense, but both men dismissed that in separate conversations about their relationship last July. Bo said he watched every game Miles coached in his first season at LSU; Miles talked about how he still called his old coach for advice."

This And That

Posted on Monday, July 9, 2007 at 01:00AM by CFR in This and That | Post a Comment
Call this a 'spring cleaning' of sorts. I bookmark interesting items all the time and try to address them. The ones that go un-addressed ... sit there in my bookmarks folder and take up space. Much of that out was simply deleted earlier this week but I've saved some items for commentary below.
BALCO, Journalism and The Law

We all love the First Ammendment. Thousands of years of civilization have passed and such a basic liberty has yet to be guaranteed to a great many people around the world. In the United States that freedom is almost universal (outside of the classic yelling "fire" in a movie theatre type scenarios). Thing is, certain speech has consequences.
When some reporters published secret grand jury testimony about the BALCO investigation, they broke the law. A great many journalists have come to their defense and there are in fact shield laws to protect journalists who break the law under certain scenarios. This shouldn't be one of them.
In the eyes of the American justice system, there is no difference between the two parties - and that's what makes the American justice system so great. Everyone is treated equally regardless of how much a sleazeball or saint one is thought to be.

Do you really think Jason Giambi would've admitted his usage of steroids if he had known his supposedly sealed testimony would later be leaked to the press? Would Barry Bonds have even copped to the "clear" and the "cream"? If we are ever to get to the bottom of this steroid problem, then we need people to testify, including players that are currently playing in the big leagues. If players believe that whatever they say behind closed doors will be leaked to the press and ultimately the public, they will never testify and we will never really get to the bottom of the problem.​
In this tension between the First Ammendment, journalism, truth and the sanctity of sealed testimony, I side with the courts here. The journalists in this situation were not censored or muzzled, but there are consequences to their actions and as frustrating as that is to witness, the right thing is to prosecute both the person who leaked the testimony and the people who published something that wasn't theirs to publish.

Cost Of Living
Most expensive college football towns, per Money Magazine.
  1. Stanford (Palo Alto, CA)
  2. UCLA (Los Angeles/Brentwood/LA's West Side, CA)
  3. USC (Los Angeles, CA)
No surprise. In spite of that, those three are also tops in the NCAA in total all-sports team championships. Well, maybe "most sports" since football isn't counted much to USC's chagrin.

The Terrapins Formula
But head coach Ralph Friedgen argues the unexplainable becomes quite explainable with the use of a statistic he learned during his time with the San Diego Chargers called major offensive errors.
"That's winning it for us; there's no doubt about it," Friedgen said. "It has at every level I've coached at. It's something I believe in very strongly, and it's one of the reasons we won our first year here."
The statistic is derived by adding a team's interceptions, fumbles, dropped passes, sacks and penalties during a game and dividing that by the team's total number of offensive plays. The key is to keep the result under 12 percent -- meaning that the team is committing a human error on 12 percent or less of its plays.
Maryland has been outgained each time during its five-game winning streak. But the Terrapins have stayed under the 12 percent threshold four times, winning despite a 12.7 percent rating against Clemson.
Through the years, Friedgen said the formula's accuracy is around 95 percent. In the past two years at Maryland, its accuracy has been closer to 90 percent.
Frozen In Time
A recap of some of the best games of 2006, dated Nov. 21 of last year. "Who needs a playoff?"
Indeed.
Man Law
They're silly, but Miller Lite's Man Law commercials have some redeeming value. I beam with pride watching Jim Kelly's stirring defense of "going for it" and a win over a tie.
And then there's the great Off-Fense sign.
ManLawOffense.jpg
Relegation
I like college football how it is, but I've always found the soccer process of "relegation" interesting. If this game weren't already so great, this proposal by Whit Watson might be intriguing.
As an aside, in the same article Watson demonstrates some of the challenges of an eight-team playoff. The ideal setup is much larger than what can be reasonably played in college football. Throw in mission creep and it's just more evident by the day that Florida President Bernie Machen's disastrous week<STRIKE>end</STRIKE> in Destin hopefully put the playoff issue to bed for a long time.
Crazy Game
An interesting read by the FanHouse's David J. Warner on a hybrid football game born out of the tensions of war: Austus.
One of the central tenets of Australian football is the mark . Any player who catches a kick that's 15 yards or longer can "mark the ball" and take a free kick from behind the spot of the catch. Cowley, who knew that the Americans were much better at passing the ball than kicking it, created a game based on Aussie Rules that allowed players to mark the ball after catching a forward pass .
Thus was born Austus, a hybrid of Australian and American football games that allowed the servicemen from different countries to play football against each other. Austus matches began to draw big crowds in 1943, in part because of the game's novelty, but also because of the much more balanced competition. The Australians continued to kick, but the Americans proved highly accurate with the pass, which wowed the spectators and made for very close and very exciting matches. Austus matches allowed both countries' servicemen raise large sums of money for various war charities and helped bring the two countries a little closer together.
There was hope that Austus matches would continue after the war, but alas, that was not to be. Once American forces returned home, they resumed playing American football, and the Australians went back to playing Aussie Rules. Austus faded into a remote corner of history and was forgotten.
Heisman Frustration
The New York Times tackles the strange voting process for the Heisman Trophy. It's controversial, but then, so is college football. At the end of the day it remains the greatest individual award in all of sport and I have no problem with Troy Smith having won it last year.
Nature of the Game
I'm always amused when fans of certain schools associate the academic reputation of the school with their athletes. The connection is quite often overstated. Look no further than UCLA and their heavy reliance upon "special admits" to field quality athletic teams:
At the other end of the spectrum, according to the survey of 19 Western public institutions, were UCLA and San Diego State. Seventy percent of scholarship athletes at UCLA over the previous three years were special admits; for SDSU, that figure was 64.5 percent.
By contrast, the percentage of special admits for the general student body is far lower: about 3 percent at UCLA and 20 percent at SDSU.
“In order to be competitive in Division I-A athletics, you're going to have to have some flexibility compared to your normal admission policy,” UCLA Assistant Vice Chancellor Tom Lifka said. “We need those students if we're going to be competitive in certain sports.”
I don't find anything particularly wrong about this, but it's worth noting. Our Sturdy Golden Bear is less pleased, however.

USC's 2006 Offensive Frustration
This was written in December before the Rose Bowl.
But this year's offense?
They have the first-ever Trojan first-team All-America tandem of wide receivers in Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith, and a third first-teamer in tackle Sam Baker. There's a second-teamer in center Ryan Kalil and a first-team All-Pac-10 quarterback in John David Booty.
How did those five come up so short on the same two season-defining plays in USC's two Pac-10 losses when USC couldn't get the ball past the line of scrimmage?
Both losses were on the offense, which committed four big turnovers at Oregon State and scored just seven points against UCLA.
"At first, we were rolling," freshman tailback C. J. Gable said after the UCLA game. "I don't know what happened. They figured out what we were doing. They were right where I was running the ball before I got there."
For all sorts of reasons, USC had no response other than panic. Nor does it have one today. The UCLA game is not talked about around campus these days. But the Trojans will have to deal with a Michigan defense that's better than the Bruins' on Jan 1.
USC's Web site fans aren't waiting until then. After a year of holding their fire on the two-headed replacement for offensive coordinator Norm Chow, they've placed the blame squarely on offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, 31, and quarterbacks coach Steve Sarkisian, 32. The son of Carroll's mentor, Monte Kiffin, is the guy who sends down the plays from the press box.
But it's not just the design of the plays, or the timing of the calls, or even the way they practice. What USC is doing right now just isn't working and not inspiring the kind of confidence a dynasty must among its own players.
With 32 years as a college coach and having been twice recognized as the nation's top assistant, Chow exuded a hard-nosed belief in his way of doing things and generated confidence in Heisman Trophy pupils Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart.
He could also stand up to Carroll. The result of those philosophical battles almost certainly benefited the Trojans' offense, as did his experience in many big games.
Running an injured Chauncey Washington into the game on short-yardage situations against UCLA was as ill-advised as switching 260-pound fullback Ryan Powdrell to tailback for his career-ending short-yardage try against Nebraska.
And since the Arizona game, USC has yet to replace injured third-string fullback Stanley Havili. Who can win with a 10-man offense? Despite playing 15 freshmen this year by Game 3, there doesn't seem to be much evidence of Carroll's call for competition on offense. Only the tailback spot has depended on first-year players, and that's mostly because of injuries.
What happened to Allen Bradford, who looks so good in practice?
Why haven't the young offensive guys been able to play more? On defense, they just couldn't beat out the starters. But at least they had the chance.

Although the second-half scoring outburst confirms the immense raw passing talent of quarterback John David Booty, I hunch USC's not out of murky waters with its offense.
Check back again in December and see if the concerns are the same.
USC Song Girls
How about eleven or so minutes of 'em? The Trojans are hoping to make a trip to New Orleans as title favorites this year. That's nice and all but c'mon, there are few things more re-assuring than seeing Song Girls hopping around on the Rose Bowl turf on January 1.
Clip One:
<OBJECT codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0 height=350 width=425 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/za5sdjLjYM8" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT>Clip Two:
<OBJECT codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0 height=350 width=425 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9WECx9fhuI" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT>***
Pig Stye
A breakdown of last year's mess at Arkansas.
Houston Nutt found himself in a precarious position this season - win or prepare for unemployment. The pressure has mounted against Broyles whose record with coaching hires is pathetic at best and tragic at worst (Danny Ford, Stan Heath, Jack Crowe, etc, etc). The Broyles clones haven’t had anything but sporadic success since Lou Holtz left the school in 1984. Broyles fired (aka forced a resignation from) Holtz despite a 60-21 record and 6 bowl appearances in 7 years citing that he wasn’t performing up to the ‘best of his abilities’. The Razorbacks most successful college basketball coach, Nolan Richardson, also left in an embarrassing media circus after he openly accused Broyles of treating his program as second class citizens.

So Nutt knew his place, he remained the obedient coach and hired Gus to placate the fan base for Mr. Broyles. No real fundamental philosophy change was ever expected to take place but Malzahn brought with him the kinds of players who could keep Arkansas competing for SEC West titles for several more years as well as a “perception” of offensive improvement. Whether Nutt ever intended to alter his offense over time is debatable, clearly his immediate concern was winning enough games to keep his job. And to do that he played to the strength of his team: their running backs. He didn’t allow Malzahn to install his hurry up offense and instead instructed him to utilize McFadden and Jones as the centerpiece of the Razorback offense.

These kids and their parents were misled, a common occurence in High School recruiting. Broyles contention that “experts” have determined Malzahn’s offense can’t work sounds like sheer nonsense and this would have been known prior to hiring Gus and recruiting his kids from Springdale. Plus how effective will these claims be if Florida ever gets its spread option to operate effectively (or if Alabama had hired a coach like Rich Rodriguez to install a similar system at Alabama). I believe Houston lied to both Malzahn and his recruits making promises he really couldn’t keep. But Houston did so under extreme duress from his AD. The Arkansas players and Malzahn can say they are satisfied and want to be Razorbacks but it looks to be nothing more than a smokescreen to obscure growing discontent within the program.

People can criticize Gus Malzahn, Mitch Mustain and Damian Williams but at the end of the day, it seems like some kind of promises were made about the Arkansas offense. Some pundits have come to Arkansas coach Houston Nutt's defense and although I think he's a good guy, it's very likely he made a serious mistake in this situation. Perhaps a mistake his experience should have taught him to avoid.
Where You From?
NFL players by state. Speaking of California players: L.A. area players, South Park style.

A Hurricane Doesn't Spin Like That

College football's inconvenient postseason truth.
One Hand Out Of The Grave
Bob Toledo's not dead yet. Just in time to steal back the next Chris Horton and Chris Markey type players from his former employer, too.
No Surprise
The fifth most valuable sports brand? The Rose Bowl. Bigger than the Final Four, bigger than the Olympics, up there with the FIFA World Cup and the Super Bowl.
The Real World
Guess how many full-time investigators the NCAA has?
The answer is 3. And a total investigative staff of about 25. Enforcement costs money. Belatedly nailing the bigger cases (such as SMU and Alabama with Albert Means) and using them as leverage is so much more cost-effective. It also fatally undermines the organization's credibility when it comes to enforcement, but hey.
My problem has always been that there's so many stupid rules out there. Real cheating and real competitive imbalance looks a lot different than what we actually get all huffed up about every few months. Perhaps the NCAA's done its job in that regard, on the cheap. Just don't count on heavy-handed enforcement for the small stuff.
This Is Smart
The newer, tamer SMU.
The Humanitarian
Maybe, just maybe, the guy isn't rotten to his core? Hm. Also: an interesting interview with Pete Carroll. The answers won't be satisfactory to some but it is a little more revealing about how he handles USC's business.
Bonus: a CNBC "Business of Innovation" special interviews Pete Carroll (starts about halfway through the audio link).
Spread Is Such A Dirty Word
There's a philosophy behind it, it's not just a crutch for people who like to throw the ball and don't care about running and defense and like *style points*.
"Sometimes people hear spread and think, `Oh, you throw the ball every down,' " Kelly said. "That's not true. What it means to me is, you're making the defensive spread and cover the entire length and width of the field. The more people you spread out, the more people they need to spread out. When that happens, you create running lanes.
"The philosophy really is to spread 'em and shred 'em."
Remind Me Again
Which sport's postseason is the sham and which is pure and holy?
Sigh
Why do we so hate and envy highly paid football coaches? I occasionally hear these little straw men "what does it say about our society's values in that we pay educators so little and football coaches so much?"
It says absolutely nothing.
Can It Be Taught?
From the Wall Street Journal:
Thanks to new technology, the seemingly uncanny ability of many top athletes to anticipate opponents’ and teammates’ maneuvers might now be taught to average competitors. Often, the best players in a sport aren’t the fittest or strongest, but those with “field vision” - knowledge of where teammates are at all times, where the ball is headed and what opponents plan to do. Such talent has long been assumed to be innate, and impossible to teach, reports Jennifer Kahn in Wired (no link available). But now, a movement in sports training aims to use technology to show ordinary athletes how to think like superstars.
I'm skeptical.
An Unlikely Fix
[A] proposal, which will likely be finalized this summer, calls for the eight Sun Belt football schools to play at least 11 home football games in a two-year period. That would cut down on road games against top Division I-A teams that often pay as much as $600,000 a game.

Hooray!
Talking With The Man
An interview with Boise State coach Chris Petersen. He's not a playoff fan.
SB: The BCS has actually been pretty beneficial for you guys - you probably wouldn't have been in the Fiesta Bowl without the BCS system. That being said, what are your thoughts on the BCS as opposed to a playoff system?
CP: I like it. I really do. I've been around football for a long time, growing up with it. I grew up with the bowl system, and I really like the bowl system. And so I just don't see the clear-cut answer yet to the playoff system. If it would have been the plus-one, we still wouldn't have been that plus-one team going to play for the national championship. So now all of a sudden you create a bracket, and you know, you're always going to have that debate and that argument. And I can see both sides of the fence on this issue, but to tell you the truth, I like the bowl system. I really do.
SB: But unless you guys are absolutely perfect during the season, the bowl system makes it incredibly difficult for you to get into the national title picture. A team like USC can still lose a game or two and stay on the national map. Does it bother you to go into the season knowing that you're at a huge disadvantage when it comes to competing for a national title?
CP: No, because I think this: I think as our conference gets better, I think when we play better people down the road, I think when our facilities continue to grow and this program continues to change, I think that situation will change for us. You know, there's not much error in any of this. USC can lose one game. We can lose no games, so neither one of us has much error as you go through your season. I just try not to get caught up in those situations. We just worry so much about ourselves and playing to the best of our ability, and we really believe that if that happens, then good things are going to happen for Boise State no matter what the system is. And that's what happened to us last year. People were going, `What about getting into that national championship game?' Well, we wouldn't have been in it anyway! They would have chosen somebody else with a plus-one, unless you set up a big old bracket of 16 or eight teams. And then maybe they would have put us in. I don't know.
Yahoo/Rivals Merger
CNBC's Darren Rovell on what's likely to happen.
For Laughs
1) English "Pub Name" generator. The possibilities are limitless. My first effort: "The Caimans and Beer".
2)Sandal flask. Cool, but then at some point you have to realize your booze has been hiding under your feet for several hours.

EDSBS TOP 25: 1-3, BECAUSE WE ARE SLOW AND HUNG OVER.

Again, what you’re about to read is straight foolishness. But at least we admit that.

The preliminary, subject to all edits, clarifications, admissions of complete brain spasm:

1. USC. No cracks. Just none: USC remains a smooth, creaseless facade of sheer talent with brilliant coaches pulling the levers, ensuring that anyone with half a tank of rationality will pick them at number one. This is also the obvious pick, too, which is sad but true for those of us who really love to make the contrarian’s pick.

pete_carroll.jpg

The Tony Robbins of football continues to inspire with excellence and synergistic practices, you angels, you.

The wobbliest piece of USC’s American Quilt of Talented Angels–we’re sure Pete Carroll calls it something like that, as opposed to the old Cartesian oppression of “depth chart”–is at wide receiver, but even there the term “wobbly” remains, well, wobbly since Vidal Hazelton and Patrick Turner fit the mold of unmanageable USC receivers: tall, fast enough, good route runners with balletic skills to bring down balls in coverage.

Defensively, Carroll continues to run a pro defense in college garb. The worst they’ve looked was against Football Jesus, and that was, after all, Football Jesus. (Praise his name!) Brian Cushing has all the makings of (backhanded compliment coming) a great college-only linebacker, and Sedrick Ellis can probably already begin writing generous checks based on the credit of a fat pro contract he’ll receive for being huge, fast, and fond of playing defensive tackle.

They play in a league that, with the exception of Oregon State, has shown little ability to catch USC and bring them back to the peleton. Throw in a road game against Nebraska and Notre Dame, two teams they still outclass in terms of talent, facilities, and coaching Q, and USC is an easy, easy, easy pick.

The skeptic interjects: Last season, far from a clean slate for USC, showed several deep cracks in the veneer of invulnerability, especially in terms of offensive output. The loss to UCLA seems potentially terrifying given how manhandled the USC offense truly was, especially on the corners where smaller, seemingly less talented cornerbacks owned USC’s wideouts. Booty’s more turnover prone than his predecessors, and the departure of <STRIKE>Steve Sarkisian</STRIKE> Lane Kiffin prior to the 2006 season did take something of USC’s offensive prowess away. (God damn you, tasty and free Bud Light.–ed.)

2. Michigan. Holy, gobsmacked hell, what in the living daylights is Michigan doing here? A team that lost its bowl game by mucho when its defense couldn’t figure out USC’s innovative “throw long to Dwayne Jarrett” attack, a team that couldn’t stop Ohio State from heaving its waterboy across the goal line in their rivalry game, a team that when the chips were down showed all the creativity of Futurama’s Bender minus his brain when confronted with a problem in a big game (”I am Mike Debord, please insert QB Waggle.”)…why here?

762505129_03a349fc3a_m.jpg

Michigan as Bender? It’s a comparison we should expand on…

A cakey road schedule helps, as does the siren song of returning starters Mike Hart, Chad “Average Michigan White Guy qb Mark XIV” Henne, and Mario Manningham. On defense they’ve got Alan Branch and Lamar Woodley to replace, but otherwise will plug holes systematically as they have been wont to do during Carr’s tenure. If this is a sucker’s pick, it won’t be exposed for many weeks after an early season matchup with Oregon at home, or at least not until the Ohio State game, which by all accounts Michigan should win, but won’t.

The skeptic interjects: Forecasting off the schedule izz dumm–Florida was supposed to have no shot with a 5.15 grade schedule last year, and yet somehow ended up by luck in the national title game with one loss. The Big Ten, like any really competitive league, tends to handicap itself in the national title race by pulling ambitious crabs back into the bucket of teams with at least one loss. And, as always, Michigan’s problems begin and end with one word: Sweatervest.

Tressel_in_grey_sweatervest.jpg

The eleventh-ranked google image result for “sweatervest,” and problem number one for Michigan.

3. West Virginia. Overranked? Sure, but if you’re gonna go, go out in flames atop the 12 cylinder Dodge Tomahawk that is the West Virginia offense and its counterpart, the wildly unpredictable Texas Hold ‘em game that is their 3-3-5 defense. Pat White, Steve Slaton, Darius Reynaud, freshman Noel Devine…all weapons in the hand of the (just one more metaphor and we’ll stop, we swear) four-armed Goro that is Rich Rodriguez’s offense. Frankly, we have to walk away from the computer for a moment to calm down.

(Punches wall, screams. Returns.)

goro.jpg

The Mountaineers’ offense: Goro wins.

The schedule’s nice and easy, the defense will…well, whiskey-cranked WVU fans will just have to pray they hold serve a few times. This team remains the most pure fun to watch period, as evidenced beautifully by their bowl game versus Georgia Tech. Even when down 35-17 in the third, we didn’t doubt for a second they would at least threaten to win within a margin of three points or so, and for two very good reasons:

1. It’s West Virginia, and
2. Chan Gailey was coaching on the other sideline.

Their biggest rival is undergoing a change in management (Louisville), and a quick eyeballing of the schedule looks relatively bump-free. We say: Vroom, vroom, y’all.

The skeptic would like to have a word with you. Despite having a linebacker named John Holmes, little suggests West Virginia will achieve consistent penetration and stop playing roulette on defense, scoring huge on one spin of the dial and then losing it all on the next hand. The skeptic would like to have a word with himself, please Even with the disastrous performance versus Louisville, however, they still placed 28th overall in the nation…not elite, but still very good, and well beyond the “holding serve” criteria.

John Clay Won't Suit Up For Badgers This Year

Posted Jul 9th 2007 5:35PM by Brian Cook
Filed under: Wisconsin Football, Big 10, NCAA FB Recruiting
bret-bielema-180w.jpg
What you mean need learn from books?

Early in last year's recruiting year, which goes February to February, John Clay was one of the most hyped players in the 2007 class. His puzzling lack of offers led to rumors of academic issues; those rumors were accurate:
John Clay, a former all-state tailback from Racine Park High School and a key member of the University of Wisconsin's 2007 freshman class, has failed to meet the NCAA's minimum academic eligibility standards and won't be allowed to play for UW this season.​
The Badgers have no pressing need for Clay's services with the return of freshman sensation PJ Hill, but they are now extremely thin. Past Hill they have only sophomore Lance Smith, who rushed for 345 yards last year spelling Hill, and incoming freshman Zach Brown. The Journal-Sentinel article linked above implies that Wisconsin will probably admit him and get him eligible a la Michael Bennett instead of sending him to prep school, where there's a chance he could get poached by another school.

Spencer Ridenhour to Transfer

By Mike Section: Football
Posted on Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 07:43:44 PM EDT

</I>

ridenhour.jpg

Nothing official out of the football program yet, but there is a blog out there reporting that Penn State safety Spencer Ridenhour is going to transfer out of the football program.

This is unfortunate if true, but not completely surprising.

Ridenhour was in the mix to get the starting strong safety spot last year but lost out to Anthony Scirrotto. This year he had a chance to earn the spot vacated by Donnie Johnson, but it appeared early on in the spring that the coaches awarded the job to Tony Davis to lose.
Ridenhour didn't help his situation by landing in Joe's doghouse right before the Outback Bowl last year for the dreaded "violation of team rules." Now he finds himself riding the bench behind guys with more eligibility than him.

Wall, meet chalk.

Ridenhour will be missed. He was a very talented player who reportedly hit like a very angry man in the backfield. Though he probably wouldn't have seen the field much this year, he still would have provided valuable depth and might have had a chance of seeing the field as a nickel back. I'm sure he'll land somewhere and be a solid player for another team. On the bright side this move will pave the way for young guys like Nick Sukay and Chaz Powell to see more reps in practice.

His won't be a huge loss for the defense in 2007, but you hate to see someone with his talent go. Ridenhour was part of the class of 2004 that included Dan Connor and Anthony Morelli. He joined the team when the program was at its lowest point. He was one of the ones who believed when nobody else did. Loyalty like that should be rewarded. It's too bad his career didn't work out the way he had hoped.

Good luck, Spencer. I feel like we hardly knew you.

UPDATE: It is official. FOS has the official word

Tressels Pay Forward Again

July 09 2007 09:33 PM -- Filed in: Tressel
How fortunate must Youngstown State feel right now? Although Jim Tressel hasn't coached at YSU since 2000, that hasn't disconnected the tie that binds. It was announced today that Jim and Ellen Tressel, along with Ellen's parents, have donated $1 million to Youngstown State. The money is earmarked for the athletic department in hopes of building a new indoor athletic facility, which is to be named the WATTS Center (Watson and Tressel Training Site).

This newest donation isn't anything new. It's only one of several Tressel has made in recent memory.
In January 2003, he and Ellen donated $125,000 to YSU for a student recreation facility. Ellen's parents, Frank and Norma Watson, matched that with another $125,000.

Later that year, the Tressels jumpstarted a foundation to support cancer research, the Tressel Family Fund, with a $62,000 donation to the James Cancer Center.
On top of that, the Tressels donated $100,000 to the Ohio State library renovation in 2006. If you aren't keeping a tally, that's about $1.3 million in total. And, those are just the ones we know about.

It's one thing to preach Woody's mantra of Paying Forward, it's entirely another to live the credo.

Busted: South Florida Recruit Clipped for Contempt

Posted Jul 10th 2007 1:00PM by Matt Glaude
Filed under: Big East, NCAA FB Recruiting, NCAA FB Police Blotter, Tampa Bay
cuffs1.jpg
It is widely known that the University of South Florida maintains one of the premier criminology and criminal justice programs in the State of Florida. It's just a shame that most individuals associated with the university generate their acumen in the field through first-hand experiences within the state's legal system.

Today's newest enrollee? How about uber recruit Mike Ford who managed to exude criminal laziness on two fronts: first, in not heading down to the Department of Motor Vehicles and getting a new driver's license and motor vehicle registration; and second, in not showing up for his court date:
USF freshman running back Mike Ford was arrested on a contempt of court charge early Friday morning in his hometown of Sarasota.

Ford, who was released Saturday morning after posting $2,000 bail, had an outstanding warrant for receiving three citations over the past 16 months and then failing to show for a June 12 court appearance. Ford received the initial citations on March 31, 2006 and Feb. 23, 2007 for driving without a license.

Additionally, on May 29, 2007 Ford was cited for driving with a suspended license and driving an unregistered motor vehicle.
While some may condemn Ford for tarnishing the reputation of Jim Leavitt's surging program, others may recognize Ford's desire to simply carry on the tradition his future teammates have already established. Just a few short months ago, South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe managed to get pinched for serving delicious beverages to impressionable, underage children.

NCAA Still Investigating Recruiting Dinners at Papadakis
By Paragon SC Section: Football
Posted on Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 11:45:13 AM EDT
</I>

From Wolf's Blog while I was away.
Dept. Of Investigations
USC's compliance office is still conducting its investigation into recruiting dinners at Papadakis Taverna. This originally became an issue right before the USC-Texas game and players were interviewed last November during the week of the Cal game, much to the chagrin of the football program considering what was at stake that week. Some believed the investigation was wrapped but we've confirmed that it is alive and well. It's important to point out that compliance offices work independently from the athletic dept. and work on their own time frame.

OK, if the NCAA wants to investigate an issue that has been dead for a while now that's fine with me. But it would seem that the Reggie Bush situation is little more important and seeing that the NCCA has only 3 investigators it would seem only logical to go after the bigger fish, though I can understand that the Bush investigation is at a bit of a standstill.
On a side note, I have heard that Petros has a lot of negativity towards Bush etc. over the whole mess but he might be better served making sure his yard is clean before worrying about someone else's yard. It is hard to say if there was any wrong doing at his dad's restaurant but it would be the smart move to keep one's mouth shut until daddy's tavern is cleared of any wrongdoing. I'm just sayin'...

Early enrollee decides to go home, seek other school

By MATT WINKELJOHN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/10/07
The turnstiles are spinning at Georgia Tech, where Union Grove linebacker Steven Sylvester and Tallahassee running back Richard Watson on Monday became the third and fourth players to commit in a week.
The quality and quantity of recent recruiting has been such that one newcomer may have helped push out another Jacket, as freshman Steven Threet has left the program as the second Tech quarterback to transfer in recent months.
"That is the case," Tech coach Chan Gailey said of the 6-foot-5, 220-pound Threet's decision to leave despite solid grades since enrolling in January. "He gave reasons, but I don't like to speak for guys. He was in school, and I don't know if he has withdrawn, but he has gone back to [Adrian] Michigan."
Reggie Ball started the past four seasons at quarterback, but the position has become a crucible for competition.
Junior Taylor Bennett is entrenched as Ball's successor, but sophomore Jonathan Garner transferred to Marshall in the spring rather than remain in a logjam. Behind Bennett (in no order) were Calvin Booker (eligible after transferring from Auburn), Threet, underclassmen Kyle Manley and Byron Ingram, and highly-regarded freshman Josh Nesbitt, who arrived this summer.
Threet may have seen himself in Garner's shoes when, on July 2, Sean Renfrees of Scottsdale, Ariz. — one of the nation's top quarterback prospects — committed to Tech is a busy week that saw the Jackets double to eight their commitments, including Hilliard, Ohio, linebacker B.J. Machen.
Also, sophomore defensive lineman Anthony Egbuniwe is a new Jacket, Gailey said, transferring from Tulsa. He, like Threet, will by NCAA rules have to sit out next season. Threet will have four seasons of eligibility, Egbuniwe three.
Gailey also said, "nothing has changed," with sophomore cornerback Laurence Marius, who left school in the spring and returned home to Key West, Fla.
Jacksonville wide receiver A.J. Jenkins may be the next player to commit to Tech, but coaches are focusing on many players, including Thomasville defensive lineman Brandon Thompson, Chamblee High lineman Omoregie Uzzi, Buford linebacker T.J. Pridemore and Gainesville defensive lineman Keith Wells.

Five UTEP players arrested for bar brawl

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1184166326796&lmt=1184166326&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1184166326796&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Futep%2F007051.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&flash=9&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
You've never been in a bar-room brawl until you've been in one in a border town, or so the old saying goes.
Five UTEP players were arrested, along with a formerly dismissed UTEP LB, following a brawl outside an El Paso bar. The most egregious charge stems from sophomore WR Tufick Shadrawy trying to strip the gun away from a police officer responded to the call.
Two 20-year-old sophomores -- receiver Tufick Shadrawy and linebacker Brian Wilkins -- were arrested on charges of assault on a public servant and interference with public duties. Shadrawy also was accused of attempting to take a weapon from a law enforcement officer, and Wilkins was accused of resisting arrest. Sophomore defensive back Damon Cromartie, 20, was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct.
Linebacker Isaiah Carter and defensive back Brandon Thigpen, both 17-year-old freshmen, were accused of public intoxication.
Emeri Spence, 22, was arrested on charges of interference with public duties and resisting arrest. He was recently kicked off the team, UTEP officials said.
The players have since been released from jail on bond following their cuffing and stuffing.
UTEP head coach Mike Price isn't in the loop just yet, but offered an exceptionally weak statement to the media. Price said he was "monitoring the situation and will take disciplinary action if necessary."

Tennessee Recruiting, Now With Extra Sketch

Posted Jul 11th 2007 8:14AM by Brian Cook
Filed under: Tennessee Football, SEC, NCAA FB Recruiting, Featured Stories
This is the reason that skepticism is advised when evaluating the ginorbus SEC recruiting classes that have been all the rage recently:
Defensive lineman Rolando Melancon is the third member of Tennessee's 2007 signing class headed to junior college. ... Alcoa defensive end Rae Sykes is expected to enroll at Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College, while Chattanooga defensive end Cory Hall will attend Northwestern Mississippi Junior College.​
Said classes are never all that they seem.

I say that Something Must Be Done. We must Think Of The Children. When the NCAA allowed oversigning they probably didn't have this sort of rampant phone-booth stuffing in mind. Tennessee's 2007 class was a whopping 32 kids. Now it's down to 29... er... somewhere between 26 and 28:
The Vols have just two scholarships remaining for three signees who have yet to enroll. Defensive back C.J. Fleming (Highland Springs, Va.), defensive end Rufus Williams (Mims, Fla.) and tailback Dennis Rogan (Fulton) are the three remaining signees.​
Skettttttchy! If Tennessee pulls a Christmas miracle the other two guys qualify, some kid is getting the proverbial finger from UT. At the moment the Letter of Intent does nothing for the person who actual signs it except remove available options; it's time to make the LOI a two-way commitment.

For the record, the departed are the #6, #10, and #32 (you are loved!) recruits in Tennessee's class according to Rocky Top Talk.

UO football Top recruit Wade ineligible; Manley says he'll transfer

<TABLE style="MARGIN: 0px 0px 5px 5px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #dfe9c9 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: #dfe9c9 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #dfe9c9 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #dfe9c9 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fdf1e7" align=middle>FACTBOX

The Ducks

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Wednesday, July 11, 2007 BRAD SCHMIDT and JEFF SMITH
The Oregonian Staff
The University of Oregon flag hanging from Jerry Wade's home in Northeast Portland will remain on display, even though his son, Myles Wade, won't be in Eugene as expected this fall.
Myles Wade, the top in-state football recruit from the class of 2007, is academically ineligible to play for the Ducks next season, Jerry Wade said Tuesday. The 6-foot-3, 320-pound Wade instead will play at Arizona Western College in Yuma, with the hope of transferring to Oregon for the 2009 season.
Wade verbally committed to Oregon in June 2006, before his senior season at Portland's Central Catholic High School. The 17-year-old defensive lineman signed with Oregon in February, but his grade-point average will prevent him from donning a Ducks jersey this fall, Jerry Wade said.

AZTECS REPORT
Long confirms that Aztecs lose another offensive lineman

By Mick McGrane
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 10, 2007

San Diego State senior offensive lineman Peter Manuma, who transferred from Long Beach City College last year, is academically ineligible and has left school, Aztecs coach Chuck Long said yesterday. The 6-foot-4, 280-pound Manuma, who emerged from spring drills as the projected starter at left guard, did not play last season. He entered spring drills as the backup at center to redshirt freshman Trask Iosefa, but had positioned himself to become the starter at left guard.
Junior Mike Schmidt, who started two games last season, will likely enter fall camp as the No. 1 candidate at the position.
Asked how much of an impact Manuma's departure might have on an offensive line that returns three starters, Long said:
“In all honesty, we really hadn't had the chance to get to know much about him. He had a decent spring, but he had never played. He was still going to be in a competitive battle (in the fall).”
Manuma is the second SDSU lineman to leave the program in the past month.
Whitley Fehoko, considered the nugget of Long's first recruiting class last year, left SDSU in mid-June. Fehoko, who according to Long also left school academically ineligible, started six games last year.
On a positive note, Long said, six of the team's seven incoming freshman offensive linemen are currently enrolled in summer school at SDSU.
The Aztecs open fall camp Aug. 9.

Five Coaches that Must Win This Year

by Brian Sakowski @ 7:45 am. Filed under Analysis, Coaching, BCS Conferences, ACC, Pac 10, SEC, Big East
<!-- meta -->Every year we come into the season wondering which coaches will not be around for the following season. A few lucky coaches get that big win against their rival at the end of the year to save their job for the next. Looking ahead, these are the 5 coaches that I think need to win now or they will not be around coaching their respective teams come 2008.
1. Karl Dorrell (UCLA) - Last year 7-6; UCLA Career Record 29-21. The Bruins’ fans in Westwood have grown weary of year after year of mediocrity under Dorrell. I really believe that the win against USC last year saved his job, and allowed him to have a one-year reprieve. This season all the cards are in place as he has all of his recruits and 21 returning starters. The Bruins should be able to win their first four games, but the next three against Oregon State, Notre Dame, and Cal should set the tone for the rest of the season. For Dorrell to keep his job I think he needs to finish in at least the top 3 of the Pac-10 and get 9 to 10 wins. But to get a real feel how Bruins fans feel about Karl Dorrell head over to Bruins Nation .
2. Al Groh (Virginia) - Last year 5-7; Virginia Career record 42-33. When Groh came to Virginia he revitalized the program and started bringing in big named recruits. But since 2002 where the Cavs had 9 wins; their win total has diminished since then. The 2006 season was the worst, only winning 5 games but with an experienced offensive and defensive line Groh has the hogs up front to set a solid base for a winning season. He will have to improve on an offense that was last in the ACC in passing, 11th in the ACC in points per game, and leading rusher with only 772 yards. Most of the yards came against the weak teams on the schedule. The first half of the schedule has 4 games the Cavs should win, but they end the season with Wake Forest, Miami, and Virginia Tech. Groh needs at least 8 wins this year to save his job.
3. Greg Robinson (Syracuse) - Last year 4-8; Syracuse Career Record 5-18. This will be Robinson’s third year as the coach of the Orange and he did improve from his first to his second, which wasn’t hard considering he won only 1 game in his first season. This year the Orange will have better personnel to run Robinson’s West Coast Offense scheme, but only return 10 starters from last year’s 4 win season. Syracuse opens with a winnable game against Washington but does not have another slam dunk until 7 weeks later against Buffalo. It might be a little early to think about using the hook on Robinson, but Syracuse was a once proud program and in the Big East today they should be going to a bowl game ever year. In their last 5 years, they have only gone to one bowl game (shared conference title in 2004 with 6 wins) and in total have 21 wins in that time span. For Robinson to keep his job, the Orange have to go bowling this winter.
4. Tyrone Willingham (Washington) - Last year 5-7; Washington Career Record 7-16. Right now Tyrone Willingham needs some luck. Last year he lost his starting quarterback in October, when it looked as if the Huskies were well on their way to a bowl game. In 2007, the team outlook does not look as bright as they will have to replace half of their starting core from last year’s 5 win team. The Huskies will be starting a 19 year old at QB with Jake Locker and have to improve on a rushing game that only averaged a little over 3 yards a carry. The defense has many holes in the secondary and linebacking core. For Washington to consider going bowling, they must win their first two games against Syracuse and Boise State because the only other games that look like winners are Stanford and Washington State. Willingham has a tough task ahead of him, and for him to keep his job safe he will need 5 or 6 wins this season. That might not seem like much, but with the schedule and what he has coming back, it will me a monumental task.
5. Ed Orgeron (Mississippi) - Last year 4-8; Mississippi Career Record 7-16. We all know that Head Coach Ed Orgeron can sell hummers, but the jury is out about his coaching. The Rebels have not gone bowling since 2003 when they had a young man by the name of Eli Manning behind center. Since Manning has left, the Rebels have won 11 games in 3 years and haven’t sniffed the postseason. There is a QB controversy right now between Seth Adams and last year’s starter Brent Schaeffer, right now Orgeron says Adams is the man. The strength of the offensive unit is the line and BenJarvus Green-Ellis is back after his 1000 yard season of 2006. Ole Miss optimistically could begin the season 2-2 before tough games against Florida and Georgia. After those two games I see wins against Louisiana Tech and Northwestern State. Orgeron will need to find two more wins to go bowling and save his job for another season. It is going to be tough.
Honorable Mentions: Phillip Fulmer (Tennessee) and Tommy Bowden (Clemson)

July 11, 2007

If they all cheat, why is OU the one always getting caught?

I'm declaring this Vindication for Mack Brown Day. All of a sudden, those lopsided losses to OU are a bit more understandable. Some of us knew our guy Mack couldn't get out-coached like that year after year without something nefarious going on. Turns out, there was. Oklahoma cheats.
Some of us thought it might be different under Bob Stoops. Sure, Barry cheated. We mistakenly assumed that Stoops had cleaned up the program. I hadn't heard one report of guns in the dorm. We're reminded this week that nothing has changed. There are three certainties in college football: Steve Spurrier will tick someone off; Notre Dame will be on national television a lot; and Oklahoma will be caught cheating.
I don't know if Stoops will be fired for being forced to forfeit his team's 2005 victories. Probably not. That's not the way they do things at OU. He might get himself a contract extension.
The NCAA said OU was hit hard because three players accepted improper payments from a car dealer. That 8-4 season is now 0-4. That come-from behind victory over Oregon in the Holiday Bowl never happened.
''It's a penalty that goes on penalizing because it's there every year,'' Grant Teaff told the Los Angeles Times. ''Fifty years from now, folks will look at the records and say 'What does that mean? What caused that?' ''
The Sooners will be on probation through 2010 because of previous violations by the basketball team. ''Above all, we do not believe that erasing the 2005 season from the record books is fair to over 100 student athletes and coaches who played by the rules and worked their hearts out for a successful season that year,'' Oklahoma President David L. Boren said in a prepared statement. Of course not. What else would the OU president say? Some things never change.

Smart Football, Vol. 1: Scheme Stability

by HornsFan Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 12:51:13 AM EDT

This is the first installment of what we hope will be a regular series throughout the rest of this summer and the 2007 football season. The format is simple: I've got a lot of questions about the strategic side of football, and we've now got a resident expert who's going to join us to talk through some of the more nuanced topics of the sport. BON, please say hello to Chris from Smart Football. He runs a fantastic site exmaining football strategy, and now he's bringing the fun over to us. Enjoy and chime in with your own thoughts in the comments below.
Chris, I want to start with the idea of adjusting your scheme to fit your personnel. One of your last blog entries talks about this on a theoretical level, which I want to get into a bit today.
In 2004, Texas' offensive coordinator adjusted the offense the Longhorns were running to account for the personnel he had on hand. Namely, he implemented a "zone-read" spread attack that utilized his superstar quarterback.
After Vince left following the 2005 championship, Davis was put in an awkward position, having to choose between restructuring the offense to suit his new personnel situation and trying to see if Texas could still thrive in an offense similar to what worked so well with Vince Young.
Before we get into Texas specifics, let's tackle the theoretical aspect of this. What's your opinion of what a coach should do when put between a rock and a hard place like Davis was? Is it more prudent to teach a new offense around the new personnel? Or, was Davis right to look at his situation and conclude that teaching a new offense to a young quarterback was riskier than sticking with the scheme McCoy had learned during his redshirt season?

Good questions, Peter. The revolving-door-of-talent problem is one of the most difficult problems a gameplanner will face.
For starters, I don’t believe it is ever "prudent" to junk your system and teach some entirely foreign system. It may be the right move, but it is always drastic. The goal instead is to have a system flexible enough so that you never have to completely go back to square one. Without being an expert on Texas, I don’t think they had to do this at all, even if the triggermen were as different as they were.
Why is this the case? Think about the huge sunk costs a team simply gives away by training its players and coaches in a given system and then chucking it for an entirely new one with new schemes that require new skills.
But your question stems from basic common sense. "Yesterday we had Vince Young, today we don’t. We have to change something." But what, exactly? And what is the difference between installing a new system and just being "flexible" within your existing system?
To answer these questions, let’s think about what a football offense is. On one level, a football offense is no more than a collection of all the various things you could do to attack the defense and score points. In a world of perfect information and where teaching time is zero (think Keanu Reeves in the Matrix: "Woah, I know Kung Fu") all teams would run Madden football offenses: you could run any and all plays, formations, concepts, and gadgets you wanted, and you could even trade for an entirely new QB in week six, the day before your game, and that new QB would have full mastery of your complicated and multifaceted offense on gameday.
In real life, of course, you actually have to use your limited practice time to teach, practice, and execute these concepts. Moreover, players can only absorb so much. So you are constrained by what you can effectively teach. Bill Walsh could take over any team in the country, but his players could only run what passing offense he could import to them in whatever time allotted. This is the most significant constraint on building a system and gameplanning, as it makes all your choices of what to include and not to include significant.
(In a bit of a digression, the NFL can be so sophisticated because it is essentially a 24/7/365 sport. If a professional player cannot master the offense or defense then they will fire that player and find someone who will, while in college or high school you are limited by the kids you have. This gap has narrowed somewhat, however, with more widespread information and better teaching tools.)
Football offenses are generally made up of units - QBs, runningbacks, receivers, offensive line - and each unit has its own rules, information, and concepts that it must learn in order for a given play to work. So the first constraint is just how good you are at teaching your offense to your players and then how good you are at getting them to execute on gameday.
There is a second, important, but slightly less profound constraint. Once you know that you cannot run every single system and every play ever designed (i.e. a Madden offense), you need to fit them together in a way that (a) works together, and (b) reduces how predictable your offense is by combining formations, looks, and actions. This is the simple idea that you don’t want the other team to know what is coming. You become predictable if you always runs the ball from the I formation and always throw it from spread formations. Even more problematic is when a team lines up in a quirky formation and always runs a particular bootleg or gadget play, thereby telling the opposition exactly where the ball is going.
All this background may be painfully obvious. But the point is that when a coach crafts his scheme, he must craft it well enough so that: (a) he has enough tools to attack any defense he faces; (b) his offense fits together in a way that complements itself and doesn’t give away what he is doing before the play begins (and even after that); (c) is condensed enough that it can be effectively taught to his players so they may execute it; and (d) ensures there is significant carryover from year to year.
For this last point, Texas provides a great example: Vince Young was a special, unique talent, but it was clear that sooner or later he was going to be gone, and eventually you were going to have to run your offense with another QB who did not have Vince’s special talents.
So how does a coach create an offense that is small enough and coherent enough to be taught and executed with sufficient diversity to be effective?
Let’s look at the running game, which you would imagine must have changed significantly since Vince left. With Vince Young, Texas typically put Vince in the shotgun and often ran the "zone read." (See: here.) With a less mobile QB, you might put him under center and put the back in the single back set. Yet, everyone else’s assignment is the same, and even for the runningback, while his footwork may differ, his aiming points and coaching points remain the same. The only difference is (a) how the defense reacts and (b) what you want to emphasize.
(Editor's note: Greg Davis actually decided to keep Colt McCoy in the shotgun, and tried to run a similar offense to what Young was excelling with. What's most fascinating is that - as Davis adjusted what he did with Vince Young to suit his strengths - so too did Davis adjust mid-season in 2006 to McCoy's strengths. In any case, Chris' point is illustrated well here. Davis hasn't blown up his scheme with personnel changes; instead, he's made minor adjustments to a successful scheme. That keeps things consistent and teachable.)
We turn to the blocking schemes. Whether you use the zone read, the traditional one-back zone, or the zone with a lead blocker, the important thing is you are still using a "zone" blocking scheme for your offensive linemen. This gives each offensive linemen certain rules depending on who is in front of them, who to combination block with the other offensive linemen, and who will move to the second level to block a linebacker. Did Texas need to change this when Vince departed? No. If their rules were well-crafted enough, they should not really care. With a new QB you may see different defensive fronts, you might be more or less effective at running in general, but as far as schemes are concerned, it’s not an issue.
To emphasize what I mean, let’s look at Vince Young again. With Young, Texas’s typical set had had four line of scrimmage receivers (three wide receivers and a tight end) and two running threats (the actual RB and Vince Young). This meant that defenses could not afford to run two-safety defenses, because teams that did (a) had insufficient men "in the box" to play the run, or (b) they left certain receivers uncovered for quick passes, like USC did in the championship game. Over the course of the year with Vince Young, the passing game opened up because the defense - even on passing downs - was very concerned with the run. Was Vince going to take off? Was Texas going to get its big offensive line there for the runningback? Who had the ball? The back or Vince?
With a dropback QB like the ‘Horns have now, the calculus is more like you see in the Pros. Take the Patriots with Tom Brady. They use a great deal of spread, one-back, and one or two-tight end sets, along with the zone running game. Brady is no threat to run, so the "game" becomes whether Brady will hand it off to the runner or will he keep the ball for a play-action pass. Often, defenses sit back with two deep safeties or some kind of deep shell coverage, and thus open up the run game.
The point of all this, is that it is not a matter of "changing offenses," but instead just about telling your QB to line up under center instead of gun and ... that’s about it. From there it is just adjusting to the defense. You may mix in the zone-read stuff, but it becomes complementary rather than the emphasis. The reason is simple: defenses react to what they fear. One reason Vince had such a great QB rating the Championship year was in part because he had improved as a thrower, but maybe even moreso because everyone was so scared of the running game or Young’s scrambles. This dramatically affects the defense and the types of coverages they face. (For further discussion of this topic, see here and here.)
(Editor's note: As noted above, Greg Davis wound up keeping Colt McCoy in the shotgun, but Chris' point still stands. Davis left Colt in the shotgun because (in my view) even after the run game sort of sputtered out a bit and it became clear McCoy couldn't run the zone read, McCoy showed tremendous talent as a passer and thrived with the extra time and vision from the shotgun.)
So the moral isn’t that you need to redo your offense every year - God help you if you do. Instead you begin with a base playbook and you just emphasize certain parts some years more than others. If your offense is well designed, everyone keeps their same assignments and you have the same plays, but maybe you used a few different formations or personnel groups and, at the end of the day, you called fewer zone reads and more play-action passes. The goal remains, as always, to make your offense look complicated to the defense while simple for your players.
Thanks, Chris, for the chat. I'm already looking forward to Volume 2.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Head man hierarchy

Unveiling the nation's 10 best and five worst coaches

Posted: Wednesday July 11, 2007 12:14PM; Updated: Wednesday July 11, 2007 2:48PM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad width="100%">
Carroll.jpg

Pete Carroll has led the Trojans to a 59-6 record and two national championships since 2002.
Robert Beck/SI

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad>
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Before I unveil the Mailbag's third annual list of the nation's 10 best and five worst head coaches, we're going to do a little exercise in geometry (a scary proposition, considering this was far from my favorite class in high school).
As always, these rankings are based primarily on recent performance. However, I've never actually made it clear what I mean by "recent performance." This was made painfully clear to me a few months back, when for the first time I did one of these columns for basketball, and was immediately deluged with e-mails lamenting the exclusion of Jim Boeheim, Lute Olson and -- I'm not making this up -- Gary Williams. Yes, all three have won national titles, but somewhere on Wikipedia, there's probably an entry for "College Basketball's Biggest Underachievers: 2004-07," with that trio's mug shots displayed prominently on the right-hand side.
I can't emphasize this part enough: This is not a career-achievement list. This is a real-time picture of who's doing the best and worst jobs right now.
So to try and avoid a similar, inevitable outcry for Bobby and JoePa, I want everybody to visualize a big, inverted triangle. Inside this triangle there are six horizontal lines. The widest one at the top? That's the coach's performance in 2006. The one below that, 2005. The one below that, 2004, etc., down to the sixth, really skinny one, which is everything prior to 2002. So not only am I emphasizing the past five years, but I'm also weighting the seasons within that period as well in descending order.
As a result, there were some changes this year to the 10 best. Former staple Kirk Ferentz plummets off the list following two mediocre seasons. Jim Grobe, meanwhile, wins an ACC title and jumps on board.
One other note: As always, candidates had to be a Division I-A coach for at least the past three seasons to be considered for either category. So Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Charlie Weis, Bret Bielema and Chris Petersen aren't eligible just yet. Neither, mercifully, are Greg Robinson or Ed Orgeron.
Top 10 best coaches headed into the 2007 season

1) Pete Carroll, USC: Carroll's "worst" season since 2002 last year still involved 11 wins, a Pac-10 championship and Rose Bowl victory. He followed that up with a fifth straight top-three recruiting class.
2) Urban Meyer, Florida: Now 61-12 in six seasons as a head coach, Meyer has demonstrated a keen ability to adapt to his personnel, winning a national title while utilizing a receiver (Percy Harvin) and a QB (Tim Tebow) in lieu of a reliable tailback. Not a bad recruiter, either.
3) Jim Tressel, Ohio State: Throughout last year's 12-0 regular season, you could tell every last Buckeye marched to the beat of his coach. Tressel knows how to play to his team's strengths, whether by playing conservative during the '02 title season or spreading things out with Troy Smith.
4) Mack Brown, Texas: Another year, another 10-win season for the 'Horns, who have now posted six in a row. Last year's 10-3 finish came despite starting a freshman quarterback (Colt McCoy) and enduring a season of injuries and suspensions to what became an oft-torched secondary.
5) Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: As mentioned previously, Stoops' reputation has taken a hit in recent years, but let's keep things in perspective. The Sooners still won 11 games and a Big 12 title last year despite RhettBomar's dismissal and AdrianPeterson's injury.
6) Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech: After suffering a brief drop-off post-Michael Vick, the Hokies have won at least 10 games in four of the past five seasons and had the nation's top-ranked defense in each of the past two years (and No. 4 the year before that).
7) Jim Grobe, Wake Forest: Grobe was already highly respected before last season. Then he led a moderately talented team (compared to the NFL-stocked rosters elsewhere in the ACC) to a conference title, even after losing his starting quarterback and tailback to injury. Clearly, the guy can coach.
8) Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia: Rodriguez has been running the spread-option since before anyone knew what it was, but it's amazing how much recognition it can garner -- and how you can post consecutive 11-win seasons -- once you have Pat White and Steve Slaton.
9) Mark Richt, Georgia: You can't argue with his overall results -- 61-17 and two SEC titles in six seasons -- but Richt drops a few rungs this year for his mishandling of the Dawgs' quarterback situation early last season (when Georgia lost to Kentucky and Vandy) and the Sugar Bowl meltdown the year before.
10) Gary Patterson, TCU: Does anyone get less credit for running a consistently successful program than this guy? Since 2002, the Horned Frogs have posted records of 10-2, 11-2, 11-1 and 11-2 (wedged around a 5-6 aberration) and beaten the likes of Oklahoma and Texas Tech.
Just missed: Rutgers' Greg Schiano, Auburn's Tommy Tuberville, USF's Jim Leavitt, Navy's Paul Johnson and Cal's Jeff Tedford.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">

1.gif

1 of 4

1.gif

1.gif

1.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
Groh.jpg

Al Groh has developed NFL talent at Virginia, but has yet to produce a consistent winning product on the field.
AP

1.gif
1.gif
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Now comes the hard part. The worst coaches list was extremely difficult this year because: a) A couple of my old standbys (Chuck Amato, John L. Smith) finally got fired; and b) There seems to a growing rash of guys who have proven to be absolutely lights-out recruiters but haven't done squat on the field. On the one hand, this would seem to be a pretty clear indicator of bad coaching, but on the other hand, recruiting is a fairly major part of a coach's job.
So how do you balance those? By simply gauging who's doing the least with the most.
The Five Worst

1) Al Groh, Virginia: Matt Schaub. D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Heath Miller. Ahmad Brooks. Groh has produced his share of talent in Charlottesville. So what does he have to show for it? A 25-23 ACC record and a whole bunch of Christmas dinners in Charlotte and Boise.
2) Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M: Having now had four years to gauge Coach Fran's tenure in College Station, I think we can safely describe it in one word: disappointing (15-17 Big 12 record). A program like A&M's should never be this mediocre for this long.
3) Tommy Bowden, Clemson: How does a team with James Davis, C.J. Spiller and Gaines Adams manage to lose four of its last five? How does a program with Clemson's resources fail to crack 8-4? And how has Bowden managed to survive half a decade on the hot seat?
4) Bill Doba, Washington State: With each passing year, it becomes painfully apparent that Doba -- a super-nice guy and former legendary high school coach -- is in way over his head. After a successful 10-3 debut in 2003, he's gone 8-17 in the Pac-10 since.
5) Karl Dorrell, UCLA: Last year's USC upset was the first sign Dorrell's Bruins were finally turning the corner -- and they promptly followed it up with that Emerald Bowl debacle. On paper, UCLA looks like a BCS contender this year, but Dorrell's track record doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.
Just missed: Georgia Tech's Chan Gailey (who gets a one-year reprieve for winning a division title, even if he did still manage to lose his requisite five games), Nebraska's Bill Callahan, Arizona's Mike Stoops, Illinois' Ron Zook and Arkansas' Houston Nutt.
Now, on to your questions:
I think safeties are getting more important every year. Look at what Reggie Nelson did last year for Florida. So who is this year's great safety? I think Kenny Phillips, because Miami has produced some great safeties and played very well last year.
--Wilco Mulder, Nieuwehorne, The Netherlands
First of all, that's the coolest name of anyone ever to write in to the Mailbag. Secondly, it's always good to hear from my readers in Holland. And yes -- you're definitely on to something with your safety theory.
It's not like safeties haven't been important all along. There's a reason guys like Ronnie Lott, Jack Tatum and, more recently, Roy Williams and Ed Reed are held in such high regard. But I do think we're seeing a change in the type of athletes who play the position and the way coaches use them. Traditionally, safeties were known primarily for roaming around and delivering the big hit. Seeing as they're usually the last line of defense, the emphasis was on tackling ability. But more recently, we've seen the emergence of faster, more versatile guys like Nelson (who was arguably the most important member of Florida's national championship D) and LSU's LaRon Landry, Utah's Eric Weddle and Texas' Michael Huff, who could best be described as playmakers. These are guys who are as skilled in pass coverage as any cornerback (oftentimes they've played corner as well) but can also get up and blitz or generally wreak havoc.
At first glance, this year's crop isn't quite as exciting as last year's, though Phillips is definitely at the top of the class. A starter since practically day one his freshman season, he very much fits the mold of the new-age, athletic safety. Also keep an eye on Tennessee's Jonathan Hefney, Boise State's Marty Tadman, Kansas State's Marcus Watts and Rutgers' Courtney Greene (all of whom, as free safeties, have more freedom to make big plays).
With the verbal commitment of Rivals.com's No. 2-rated QB E.J. Manuel to Florida State, do you feel one commitment really boosts the decisions of other highly rated prospects from other offensive positions?
--John, Scranton, Pa.
I'm not usually the type to follow recruiting that closely until closer to Signing Day, but that particular announcement definitely caught my eye. For one thing, it's the most significant signing to date of the Jimbo Fisher effect at FSU. Manuel is a quarterback from Virginia who could have gone just about anywhere but chose the Seminoles, despite their recent struggles. Obviously, the chance to go play for the guy who mentored JaMarcus Russell was a pretty strong selling point (especially considering Manuel's other reported favorite was LSU). Furthermore, you can tell things are changing in Tallahassee because in the past BobbyBowden's program always seemed to wait until the last minute to get most of its major commitments. The 'Noles already have 12 reported pledges for 2008, a signal that Bowden's new staff is being more aggressive early in identifying and pursuing the guys they like.
And yes, there's definitely legitimacy to the domino effect in recruiting, particularly with high-profile quarterbacks. It happened at Florida both when Chris Leak and Tim Tebow committed -- other big-name guys quickly followed. It could happen here. Recruits take notice when a high-profile guy commits somewhere. They take it as a sign that it could be the place to be. However, much will depend on FSU's performance on the field this season, as well as what kind of networking, if any, Manuel does with other blue-chippers around the country, either at camps or in the postseason all-star games.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">

1.gif

2 of 4

1.gif

1.gif

1.gif

1.gif
McFadden.jpg

Darren McFadden ran for 1,647 yards and 14 touchdowns last year and was most dangerous under center in the Wildcat formation.
Bob Rosato/SI

1.gif
1.gif
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Does Arkansas have to win at least 10 games before Darren McFadden has a shot at winning the Heisman?
--Josh, Searcy, Ark.
Not necessarily. While the Heisman has become more and more intertwined with the national title race in the BCS era, there are several other factors at play. Lately, it seems like the deciding factor in the Heisman race is putting up huge performances in big, nationally televised games. Troy Smith did it. Reggie Bush did it. Matt Leinart did it. In a 12-game season, McFadden is not going to run for 150 yards and three touchdowns every game, but if the 45-yard day comes against Ole Miss in a game no one outside the South sees, it's probably not going to hurt him that much. What will hurt him is if Auburn or Tennessee shuts him down in a game of critical importance.
McFadden goes in as the preseason favorite, since he finished second last year, so he'll get the benefit of the doubt at least a couple of times. And if the Razorbacks continue to run that "Wildcat" formation for him, it's only going to help. I do think Arkansas needs to at least stay in the SEC title hunt for most of the season. They could lose a few games and McFadden could still win it if voters feel like he wasn't the reason. (Remember, Arkansas lost its last two regular-season games last year but McFadden still placed high.) If the Razorbacks sink to 7-5, however, chances are D-Mac will have stumbled himself at some point.
Any chance of an upset in the Appalachian State-Michigan game Sept. 1 at the Big House? The Mountaineers have an explosive offense and are just plain fun to watch.
--Kevin Weis, Tryon, N.C.
I never say never to anything in college football -- but this one comes pretty close. Yes, it's a rare and somewhat intriguing scenario for a big-name, top-10 team to be opening its season against the defending I-AA (yes, I still use that designation) national champion. And yes, we've seen no shortage of I-AA over I-A upsets in recent years. But it's one thing for an upper-echelon I-AA team to knock off a bad I-A team (like New Hampshire over Northwestern or Montana State over Colorado), but when you're talking about a team like Michigan, the disparity in size and depth is just way too much. The most realistic scenario is that the Mountaineers could hang with the Wolverines for about a half, but eventually all that Mike Hart pounding would wear them down.
How about an update on the Ty Willingham rebuilding job at the University of Washington? I think the early season home game against Ohio State should be a big test. This seems like a good intersectional game that has been flying somewhat under the radar.
--Tom Semones, Cincinnati
I think that Ohio State game has definite upset potential because it's early in the season, when it's likely the Buckeyes' untested offense will still be a work in progress. That said, Washington's offense will have to be much improved to have any success against OSU's defense. Remember, the Huskies got off to a pretty good start last year, winning four of their first five (including UCLA and at Arizona) and nearly knocking off USC before QB Isaiah Stanback went down and the season went south. Stanback was the heart and soul of that offense and a talented enough athlete to become a Cowboys fourth-round pick even after the injury.
This will be a critical year for Willingham, and much will depend on the performance of his new quarterback, redshirt freshman Jake Locker, the Huskies' savior-in-waiting the past two years. Willingham has recruited well enough and the defense should be dependable enough for Washington to be a bowl team if Locker comes through. The biggest problem, however, is going to be that murderous schedule. The Huskies could definitely use an upset against either Boise State (Sept. 8) or Ohio State (Sept. 15) early to get the momentum going. And they definitely can't afford to lose at Syracuse the first week.
Speaking of which ...
Simple question: Will Syracuse ever be good again?
--Larry, Stamford, Conn.
This has been coming up a lot around here lately -- from our Syracuse summer intern, Mallory Rubin. Actually, I think Mallory has thrown in the towel. When I showed her this question, her response was, "Don't count on it."
I'm slightly more optimistic, which is why my simple answer to your simple question is, yes. The more difficult questions, however, are when will that be, and will Robinson still be the coach when it happens? You know I don't like to judge a coach too soon, but I can't say Robinson has offered much reason for optimism so far. Mostly what he's done is install an offense his quarterbacks weren't suited for, generate little-to-no recruiting buzz and lose his one great hope, sophomore running back Delone Carter, five months before the season even started. I understand why Syracuse hired Daryl Gross as its AD (he's the guy who endorsed Carroll at USC), I understand Gross's long-term vision, but I just don't see Robinson as a good fit. Syracuse is a uniquely Northeast institution and someone with Northeast ties would have an easier time creating enthusiasm for that program.
1.gif
</TD><TD width="100%">#cnnStewartBk {margin-bottom:6px;padding:5px;font-size:12px;border:1px solid #666;height:98px;} #cnnStewartBk div {background:#ccc;height:98px;} #cnnStewartBk img {margin-right:6px;}
stewart_book.jpg
Stewart Mandel's first book, Bowls, Polls and Tattered Souls: Tackling the Chaos and Controversy that Reign Over College Football, will be released Aug. 24. Pre-order your discounted copy today.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Is there a minimum quantity of your book we can purchase that will guarantee being published in the Mailbag?
--Bret, Omaha, Neb.
Just mentioning it gives you a definite leg up.

1.gif

3 of 4

1.gif

1.gif

1.gif

1.gif
t1_spirosittingNEW.jpg

Jordana Spiro is one week into her reign as official Mailbag Crush.
Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com

1.gif
1.gif
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>In reference to your discussion of "running back by committee," you said, "About the only team recently to have much success with the approach is LSU." I can't believe you failed to mention the 2004 Auburn Tigers team with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown.
--Bryan K. Walton, Wilton, Iowa
I could not believe how many e-mails I got just like this one. C'mon, people -- two people do not constitute a committee. As my colleague Pete McEntegart pointed out, if such a committee held a meeting, what would they talk about? How could they hold a vote on anything? There'd be too many ties.
What you're referring to with Williams and Brown (or McFadden and Felix Jones, or Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber III) is a running back tandem, and Lord knows there have been plenty of those over the years, most notably Army's Doc Blanchard ("Mr. Inside") and Glenn Davis ("Mr. Outside"). It's my understanding that when someone uses the term "running back by committee," they're referring to a team that lacks a true feature back and rotates between three or more guys, none of whom get significantly more carries than the others. Which is why I pinpointed LSU as my example: Last season, the Tigers finished 31st nationally in rushing despite no one back getting even 100 carries (Jacob Hester had 94, Keiland Williams 76, Alley Broussard 74, Justin Vincent 57 and Charles Scott 46). By comparison, in the Auburn example above, Williams had 239 carries, Brown 153.
Of course, it occurred to me after the fact that one particular running back committee would probably take exception to my comments: The Four Horsemen.
Hi Stewart. Just thought that I would pick up on the point that you made about Brits in your last Mailbag. As a HUGE fan of college football (yes, we do exist in England), please note that I have pre-ordered your book on Amazon (though I have also pre-ordered the new Harry Potter books). I also note with interest that this year's Celebrity Crush, Jordana Spiro, studied at RADA in London (about a mile from where I write). That alone makes Jordana as English as Prince Charles (but a hell of a lot better to look at!)
--Matt Rees, London, England
As it turns out, the Mailbag has quite a cult following in London. I found this out both first-hand from my friend Sasha, who just returned from a postgraduate program there, as well as through several e-mails like the one above. So to our friends across the pond, thanks for the support and no more soccer jokes (for at least a couple of weeks).
As for the aforementioned Ms. Spiro, I'm happy to report that your responses to her selection were overwhelmingly positive. (Though there were a few pretty vicious haters).
Kudos on the 2007 crush. Jordana is an unbelievably cute tomboy. And as a follow up to Jenna you can't do any better. Well done!
--Dwight, Atlanta
Rest assured, Jenna will not be forgotten. She retains Crush Emeritus status.
Jordana ... totally unexpected. Not too shabby, though. Good choice.
--Scott, Baton Rouge, La.
Jordana appreciates your compliments and says she agrees 100 percent with Les Miles. (OK, I made that up).
Maybe I'm just too spoiled (see my hometown), but Jordana Spiro is nowhere near hot enough to represent the College Fotball Mailbag. As a former college football player, this is an outrage. I wouldn't have a crush on her if I saw her in a bar, let alone the fantasy world of the Mailbag.
--Steve, Newport Beach, Calif.
Oh great -- another SoCal-Louisiana feud. I know who I'm siding with on this one.
As a single, Jewish guy who's currently deployed in Iraq, thanks for brightening my day with your selection for Celebrity Crush.
--
MSgt. Jonathan Wolf, USAF Balad AB Iraq
And now you've just brightened my day. Who knew the Mailbag Crush could have a global impact?
YES! OK, here's the deal Stewart. As your longest-standing Mailbag contributer (honestly, look for my John David Booty question that you published in your first-ever Mailbag, but more importantly, as a single, Jewish sportswriter in Chicago, any chance you can set me up on a REAL date with Jordana? Thanks in advance. You complete me.
--Matt Sohn, Pacific Palisades, Calif.
I'm not sure which is more disturbing -- this e-mail or my mug shot in that original Mailbag. Please don't answer.
I know I'm on the other coast, but I'm Jewish, 28, single and a lawyer. If Jordana informs you of any pending trips out to Hollywood, please pass on my e-mail address!!!
--Michael, Los Angeles
Oh I will. I'm sure the cops can use it to trace where they should deliver the restraining order.
The July 3rd edition of the Mailbag was a cry for help if I've ever seen one.
--Dave, Lexington, Va.
C'mon, Dave. What edition of the Mailbag isn't a cry for help?

1.gif

Sooners Punished; What About USC?

<BLOGITEMBODY>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=310 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnImgAdPad width=300>
t1_bush.jpg

Reggie Bush reportedly received over $300,000 from a pair of agents while he was still playing for USC.
Donald Miralle/Getty Images

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The NCAA committee on infractions handed down its sanctions against Oklahoma on Wednesday for last year’s Rhett Bomar/J.D. Quinn car-dealership fiasco. For failing to properly monitor the players’ fraudulent employment, the university -- which was already on probation for the Kelvin Sampson phone-call scam in basketball -- will see its stint in the penalty box extended for two years, through 2010, forfeit two scholarships in its next two recruiting classes and must vacate its eight wins from the 2005 season, in which both Bomar and Quinn participated.

That’s certainly a lot of wrist-slapping over the stupidity of two players whom the program already dismissed, but based on past precedent, it pretty much fits the crime. While the sanctions might cause a little bad p.r. for the Sooners in the short-term, in reality they will have little effect on the program’s future (as painful as it must be for that 2005 Holiday Bowl banner to come down).

The bigger issue to me is one I addressed in a Mailbag a couple of months ago but which, for the most part, continues to go unspoken: Reggie Bush. Now that the NCAA has dropped its hammer on Oklahoma, how hypocritical is it going to look if, as expected, it lets fellow powerhouse USC off scot free for what most reasonable people believe to be far more egregious transgressions.

As previously reported, the NCAA’s largely powerless enforcement division has thus far failed to make any headway in its investigation of the alleged extra benefits Bush and his family received from two potential sports-marketers, as detailed in several reports by Yahoo! Sports. Not only has Bush refused to cooperate with investigators but he's essentially bought the silence of the people who originally brought the allegations through a legal settlement. Barring a dramatic development, USC is unlikely to endure any ramifications.

The longer the NCAA remains silent on the matter, the more the conspiracy theories grow among fans of other programs around the country incredulous that the Trojans -- who fans of other national-title contenders would no doubt love to see taken down a peg -- are dodging this bullet. Wednesday’s Oklahoma news won’t help matters.

Mind you, the committee that determined the Sooners’ sanctions is a different entity entirely from those who do the actual investigating. In Oklahoma’s case, the investigation was made much easier by the fact the school itself uncovered the scheme and self-reported it.

But I’m guessing most of the public doesn’t care about such semantics. Most people are going to read the line about OU "failing to monitor" its athletes’ employment situation and say, "Well, shouldn’t USC have been monitoring Bush’s dealings with agents?" According to Yahoo!, the agents were on the sideline and in the locker room throughout Bush’s final season.

So what do you think? Are the sanctions against Oklahoma too strict, too lenient or just right? And what will your reaction be if the NCAA ultimately fails to find evidence of wrongdoing in the USC/Bush case?

Blackmon gets his waiver, will go into practice as a starter

Posted by [URL="http://blog.al.com/trackingtigersabout.html"]Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times[/URL] July 11, 2007 8:56 PM

The path has been cleared for linebacker Tray Blackmon to resume his Auburn football career.
Blackmon, who will be a sophomore in the coming season, has been granted a waiver by the NCAA after not attending school in the spring semester. Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said Wednesday that Blackmon will go into preseason practice as the starting middle linebacker.
Blackmon was suspended for the first six games of last season and for the Tigers' 17-14 victory over Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl. He dropped out of school for the spring semester to deal with personal issues and returned for summer school.
"He's good to go," Muschamp said. "He's had a really good summer."
Blackmon was one of the nation's top defensive prospects when he signed with Auburn out of LaGrange, Ga., in 2005. He sat out a redshirt year before missing the first half of last season. He returned in time to play a major role in Auburn's 27-17 victory over eventual national champion Florida.
In another football development ...
Defensive back Ryan Williams of B.C. Rain High School in Mobile has been cleared by the NCAA and needs only to be cleared by Auburn officials to join the team. It is expected that will happen within a matter of days.
Williams and lineman Nick Fairley of Williamson were at the center of a grade-changing controversy. Fairley will apparently not qualify and is expected to attend junior college.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>2005 Oklahoma Goes 0-4 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
445384.jpg

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top>By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Jul 11, 2007

Texas is no longer the 2005 Big 12 champion. Baylor, Texas A&M and Kansas State are owed bowl checks. Silly, huh? According to Pete Fiutak, that's no crazier than the NCAA's ruling that Oklahoma, because of Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn being given money from a car dealership, must forfeit all eight wins from the 2005 season.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

By Pete Fiutak

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Allegedly, Oklahoma didn't win any games in 2005 because of the mortal sins of former quarterback Rhett Bomar, who (gasp!) took a few dollars for basically being the Oklahoma quarterback, and lineman J.D. Quinn who (oh heavens!) also got some coin for a no-show gig at a car dealership.

The NCAA has you brainwashed in thinking that what these guys did was morally wrong in some way, but that's a discussion for another time. The oppressive, self-serving organization forced OU to forfeit all eight of the wins from 2005, and now the can of worms is open wide as far as what should come next. As you read this, the words Reggie and Bush are probably all over LSU and Oklahoma message boards.

It's all silly. I don't care that the wins don't technically count. You don't care that the wins don't technically count. Anyone with a brain doesn't care that the wins don't technically count. Those games happened, and that can't be changed. Or can they?

What the NCAA should've done is punish OU with a bowl ban or scholarship limitations. If the organization really had any teeth, it would force the school to pay back all revenues from games played with the "illegal" players. I don't believe any of that should really happen, but it makes far more sense than taking away wins on games that actually happened. So, if we're going to do this, then let's really, really do this.

Therefore ...

- You have to go all the way now that the precedent has been reestablished. John Wooden's ten national titles at UCLA? Bu-bye, thanks to Sam Gilbert. The national titles under Bear Bryant at Alabama? Memorex. In fact, you can pretty much wipe away anything that happened in the SEC, Southwest Conference and Big 8 before the mid-1980s, (and really, you can dump the all-time record books altogether on those conferences if you honestly want to punish teams for booster involvement). Actually, you can forget about most of the national champions in both football and basketball. If you're really going to do this, NCAA, then do it.

- Nebraska gets the 2005 Big 12 North title, and not Colorado. Now, the Huskers didn't lose to Oklahoma, so therefore they are given the win on a forfeit, finish 5-3, and thanks to a 30-3 blowout of the Buffs, are the official 2005 Big 12 North champions. Unless, Vince Young, and the rest of the 2005 Longhorns can regroup and play the 2005 Nebraska team for the Big 12 title, Texas is no longer the official 2005 Big 12 champion. It didn't beat the North champion.

- Baylor University must be paid reparations for the bowl game it would've gone to, now that football team is 6-5. It most certainly would've gotten a 12th game.

- The same goes for Kansas State. The Wildcats, thanks to the forfeit win, are now 6-5, and owed back pay for the bowl game it would've gone to.

- The same goes for Texas A&M, who now also finishes 6-5.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Of course it does, and that's the point. Oklahoma won those games, whether or not Bomar and Quinn were given a few hundred dollars, a few million, or a ham sandwich. Had they gambled on the games, been caught using steroids or human growth hormones (just wait until that Pandora's Box opens up), or had been guilty of actually messing with the games themselves, then the forfeiture of wins might be justified. Then you're talking about the integrity of the game, as opposed to what amounts to a thumbing the nose at an antiquated and unfair policy.

Someday, someone will realize that it's absolutely fine for college players to accept gifts, money, cars, whatever from boosters, or anyone who wants to provide the swag. When that happens, Oklahoma will get the eight wins back from 2005. For most of us, those wins will have never left Norman.

Tennessee O-Linemen Go On a Diet

Posted Jul 13th 2007 5:36PM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Tennessee Football, SEC, Tennessee
tennessee-o-linemen.jpg

Yes, you read that correctly. Tennessee wants smaller offensive linemen. From the Jackson Sun:
In 2005, Tennessee made headlines with an offensive line that averaged 328 pounds, more than most NFL teams. But what was supposed to be an asset turned out to be one of the weakest parts of the team.
So Vols offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe has stressed the need for more quickness and athleticism in his linemen. Cutcliffe wants to make the screen pass a big part of his offense, which requires agile linemen.
The projected starting offensive line this season will average 304 pounds.
For Tennessee, less is more.
Indeed, the Vol Offensive Line in 2006 was not effective in opening holes for the running game: the Vols only managed to rush for 1400 yards on 380 carries, a 3.7 YPC average. Although QB Erik Ainge was only sacked 13 times, he was harassed and hurried into making too many errant throws. Tennessee's huge O-line, whose potential was eagerly anticipated by Vol fans in last year's pre-season, became the bane of an otherwise potent offense.

The O-line wants to report for Fall duty a full 122 lbs. lighter. Good luck with the diet, fellas.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Football Basics ... Explaining the Cover Two </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
445180.jpg

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top>By John Harris
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Jul 10, 2007

You watch 47 football games a weekend. You read every football publication, chirp on message boards about your team, and talk about the sport 24/7. Even so, you might not necessarily know what all the terminology means. Over the next several days, Football Professor John Harris will explain some of the various terms and schemes.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Football Basics

Explaining the Cover Two
[/FONT]

You watch 47 football games a weekend. You read every football publication, chirp on message boards about your team, and talk about the sport 24/7. Even so, you might not necessarily know all the terminology and occasionally get lost in what the announcers are saying. That's fine ... you're not alone. Professor John Harris will explain some of the terms and schemes and what they mean.[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By John Harris<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>[/SIZE][/FONT]The concept of the cover two defense has been around for many years, but it’s been only in the past ten years, since the introduction of the cover two by Tony Dungy in Tampa, that it started to gain popularity in both the NFL and college football. The scheme is simple, really, and when played effectively, with key players at key positions, it’s extremely difficult to move the ball effectively through the air. The key to a cover two defense is to demand accurate, pinpoint accuracy from the opposing quarterback, which is why it’s a perfect scheme against most college quarterbacks.
The easiest way to think about the cover two is like a zone defense. Two safeties and two corners split the field into two halves, playing those halves equally.

That's it.
Each safety has what is called “deep half responsibility”. The safety aligns 12 to 15 yards from the ball, dependent on offensive formation, down and distance, and opposing game plan. He then ‘roams’ from middle of the field to the sideline on passing downs and “fills in the alley” on running downs. Covering an entire half of the field seems difficult against the pass, but with solid linebacker play and a good cornerback ‘jam’ (more on those later), the safeties' job can be relatively easy. Without either one, the safety is going to have no chance to be successful. As with most other coverage schemes, the safeties responsibility is to not give up the deep ball – keeping everything in front.
The corners responsibility is “jam, release and stay in the flat”. A corner in this scheme doesn't have to be a jet with 4.3 wheels (it helps, of course), but he does have to be a guy with good hips and the ability to be physical at the line of scrimmage. Most corners will play from four to five yards off the outside receiver and will adjust if motion comes to his side. Once the ball is snapped, the corner must disrupt the receiver coming off the ball, jamming him to the inside, or “funneling” him to the inside. He CANNOT allow the receiver to take a direct route on his pattern or the safety will have too much room to cover, too soon. If the corner can “redirect” the receiver inside, the area with which the safety has to cover is now cut down significantly. If the receiver takes an outside release the corner “squeezes” him to the sideline as much as possible, giving the safety time to get “off his hash” to play “on top of him”. The corner will then play underneath the receiver until another threat comes into his area, the flat. Once that happens, he will slow down, squat and read the quarterback’s eyes, reacting to a ball thrown in the flat. Good cover two corners can bait QBs by staying underneath the outside receiver as long as possible, knowing that a flat threat is approaching then breaking on the ball before it’s even thrown by the unsuspecting QB.
The linebackers are also key to the cover two defense. The dilemma, though, is that linebackers must think to stop the run first, then pass drop. In the cover two, that pass drop, to alleviate some of the pressure on the safeties, has to be at least 12 to 15 yards in depth. That’s tougher than it seems. So, the quicker the run/pass read by the linebacker, the sooner each one can get to his drop zone, the more difficult it is for a quarterback to throw over their heads. In some cases, strongside linebackers will run with tight ends/inside receivers down the seam to allow the safeties more freedom to play closer to the sideline.
Offenses will try to beat the cover two in two different areas – the “hole” (behind the corner and in front of the safety) and the aforementioned seam (roughly down the hashmark). Throwing the ball into the hole is as tough as it gets, but a receiver who beats the jam easily and gets outside with little resistance gives his QB a bigger hole to throw into…and a nightmare for safeties. Many teams are now trying to use slot receivers to get down the seam to put that safety in a world of hurt, but if the smaller receiver gets bounced around by linebackers, he may never get to a point where he can hurt the deep half playing safety.

South Carolina football recruit Quintin Richardson has been suspended from the team after he was arrested Friday night and charged with marijuana possession.
Deputies responding to a call about shots fired at a suburban Columbia apartment around 7 p.m. found Richardson and three other men around a car that matched the description given by the caller, Richland County Sheriff's spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan said.
Officers who searched Richardson found marijuana in his pocket and arrested him, authorities said.
Richardson has been suspended from the Gamecocks per team policy, athletic officials said.
Richardson, a 6-foot-4, 276-pound offensive lineman from Spring Valley High, was among the top recruits in the Gamecocks' incoming freshman class, which was ranked in the top 10 by many recruiting experts.
Richardson was arrested Friday at the same apartment complex where he was stabbed during a fight June 24.

Back