E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
Favorites: 12-14
Dogs: 10-4
Totals: 0-3
ML Parlay: 1-1
Overall: 23-22 +2.87units
SouthCar: 2-1

Mondays/Wednesdays are my days to do my research, will update this stuff later in the week, here are current leans of games I was able to get into. Nothing locked in yet but will be adding to this as the night goes on.

Tuesday:

Do you take the team who has balance on offense with no threat of a defense or do you take the team who has no offense but has been tough on defense. Temple really could of been pretty decent this year by MAC standards but DiMichele going down has killed this offense and eventually your defense tires out and you lose games. There is a chance however that DiMichele will be back, currently no lean on this game right now, need to dig more.

Temple unsure of starting quarterback

By Kevin Tatum
Inquirer Staff Writer
For the third consecutive week, the decision on who will start at quarterback for Temple will come on game day.
That will be Tuesday, when the Owls host Ohio at Lincoln Financial Field in an 8 p.m. game to be featured on ESPN2. There is a possibility that quarterback Adam DiMichele could return after sitting out the last three games because of a shoulder injury he suffered Sept. 20 at Penn State.
"He's not pain-free yet," Owls coach Al Golden said yesterday. "His velocity is increasing. His distance is improving. But I can't at this time name him the starter. We're still worried about him protecting himself.
"We'll take it up to Sunday and Monday to see where he's at. If he's ready to play, he'll start."
Temple (2-5, 1-3 Mid-American Conference) is just past the halfway point of the season, and getting its playmaking leader back would be a big boost for a team whose defensive efforts have been good enough to produce wins.
The Owls are third in the MAC in scoring defense with 19.3 points per game. Offensively, they are next-to-last in scoring with 17.1 ppg.
"We only start two seniors on defense, and you're starting to see the new wave of guys," said Golden, who played at Penn State and was the defensive coordinator at Virginia for five seasons before going to Temple. "Ultimately, they trust right now . . . they believe . . . they finish at a very high level. They finish probably better than any defense I've been around."
In DiMichele's absence, redshirt freshman Chester Stewart has guided the Owls. He went into their last two games still feeling the physical after-effects of his first collegiate start in a 7-3 loss to visiting Western Michigan on Sept. 27.
There had been some question about junior Vaughn Charlton's being forced to give up a redshirt season if Stewart wasn't ready to play.
Temple is 1-2 with Stewart calling the signals. He threw three interceptions last week in a 24-14 loss at Central Michigan, where he was 15 of 32 passing for 163 yards and a touchdown. For the season, Stewart is 53 of 106 through the air, with seven interceptions and four touchdown passes. He has played in all seven of the Owls' games.
In Temple's 28-10 win at Miami of Ohio on Oct. 4, Stewart threw for three scores.
"Chester did a lot of good things [last week]," said Golden, whose Owls will face an Ohio team that is 2-5 and 1-2. "He also did some costly things. We're trying to make a jump, that's right now a year-three jump, with a quarterback who is in his first year. He's made a lot of progress, but he's not year-three. We went from a 23-year-old man to a 19-year-old kid, basically. That's hard to do during this stretch."

Auburn 1st half:

Line is not out yet but have my reasons for this bet:

"We're not playing good right now. This is a transition year but we're going to get better," he said. "I don't know whether we'll win any of these last five games but I'll tell you one thing, all you got to do is look back at the first seven. We led every game at halftime. Some things didn't work out in the second half but we fought hard in every game. We played well. We hadn't been beat by 30 points. There's time when you'd think we'd lost that game by three or four touchdowns and it came down to basically the last play or so.

Auburn is still fast on defense and thats really how you contain WVU. You don't let them beat you outside. They still have a big time coaching advantage in this game. I think WVU is soft, especially on defense.. If they are down at half (AU), depending on the amount, maybe they don't have enough offense to get back in so my thinking with this game is that they have a good gameplan to start the game and they cover the 1st half line. As a coaching staff, they've seen the high-powered spread offense with a running QB and they've had success slowing it down (UF). As bad as AU has looked this year, they are still probably the best team WVU has seen all year and definetly the most physical.

SJST +7.5:

Tough place to play for WAC foes and SJST has been able to keep it close at home with Boise in the last 2 meetings. Last 2 games at home against Boise, SJST lost by a combined 10 points..Boise although undefeated and highly ranked has some chinks in their armour. Their running game isn't operating like they are use to and SJST has a tough rush defense..They benefitted from 5 Hawaii turnovers last week to make the score a little deceiving. I do think this line is going no where but up so I will wait on it.

CMU-3.5:

Maybe I am a sucker here? The glass bowl hasn't been defended by Toledo this year (0-3) and they face a tough tough CMU team who just ripped off 3 straight wins since the Purdue heartbreaker. CMU is still 4-0 in the MAC and a slip up here would be crucial with Ball St looming late in the year which is likely for the division. CMU should win the battle on both sides of this game. Right now it appears to me that Toledo is offensively challenged...Maybe people are waiting for news on LeFevour? The replacement Brunner played fine last week. Think this line is short and has me scratching my head.

Illinois -1:

After 4 straight losses, Wisky seems to be a team who once had high hope for a season that has now slipped down the tubes. I like the play-making ability Juice gives Illinois and I feel like they have a lot more team speed all over the field.. I don't think Wisky can attempt to trade scores here and Illinois is playing much better football right now on both sides of the field. Likley a ML play while it sits at -1.

BC ML:

BC had 5 turnovers to VT's 1 turnover and still managed to sneak out the win at home. While UNC had its chances to win last week, I was pretty spot on about Sexson not playing well and no one being able to step up at WR besides Nix. Again, the Tate loss will be felt because he requires attention from the defense thus freeing everyone around him up. BC brings a very strong run defense to this game which is going to force Sexson to win the game with his arm which I don't think he can. UNC defense has been oppotunistic with interceptions this year so Crane has to take care of the ball and with 9 INT's on the year, he hasn't been good doing it but I think BC is just the better team here.

be back in a bit

Last edited:
I'm with you on the Auburn game. I think Auburn gets away from home and relaxes, smacks White in the mouth and wins this one.

I'm with you on the Auburn game. I think Auburn gets away from home and relaxes, smacks White in the mouth and wins this one.

Good to see and GL

Locked in the following:

Ole Miss -4.5 (2.2 to win 2)

Ole Miss -4.5 (3.3 to win 3)

Which game is tougher to get over? Up 20-7 in the 4th with 10 min to go and losing or going on the road playing the #2 team and down 24-3 at half so you were never really in the game. Houston Nutt WANTS this game a lot too, a whole lot. He also has to be the 2nd most knowledgeable person in the world with the players Arkansas has this year and can make a gameplan to exploit them. Arky RB Michael Smith is questionable with a concussion and Casey Dick will be under heavy pressure all night. Ole Miss routs Arkansas badly.

Bama -7 (2.2 to win 2)

I believe Bama shut it down last week up 24-3 and I don't care about Tennessee beating up Miss St. I do hate that Cody is out because he is the centerpiece to their 3-4 defense and a monster in the middle but their offense is just too powerful and this game means so much to Bama. I just think Tennessee is a team that is closer to their previous 6 games and Bama is pretty damn good. Stevens is going to have to keep this game close with his arm. Also think Bama has proved themselves on the road this yr

Last edited:
Favorites: 12-14
Dogs: 10-4
Totals: 0-3
ML Parlay: 1-1
Overall: 23-22 +2.87units
SouthCar: 2-1

CMU -3.5 (2.2 to win 2)

Updated:

Bama -7 (2.2 to win 2)
Auburn +130 (1st half) (2 to win 2.6)
CMU -3.5 (2.2 to win 2)
Temple Under 42.5 (1.1 to win 1) *played at work

Still going through a bunch of games, there are quite a few I like this week, still not hitting favorites like I expect myself to.

Looks like we'll be on several of the same plays (already with ya on Bama, UNDER Ohio/Temple) and looking to be on Auburn (most likely the UNDER in this one) and LOVE the CMI play...hoping to get an even 3 but will buy at 3x if it looks like it will get to 4. GL bro!

Looks like we'll be on several of the same plays (already with ya on Bama, UNDER Ohio/Temple) and looking to be on Auburn (most likely the UNDER in this one) and LOVE the CMI play...hoping to get an even 3 but will buy at 3x if it looks like it will get to 4. GL bro!

nice stuff mags. under looks ok as of right now and I really like CMU, don't think they are going to have a letdown and backup QB played real well last week. I might of bit early.

adding a future

UF to win the BCS (2 to Win 16)

Since I don't think they are going to lose again this year in the regular season I feel like it was worth to bet now. A 1-Loss SEC team has a real good chance of getting in with plenty of time left in the season. I think they have found their offense with the addition of the 2 mini-charged race cars they got to along with Harvin probably making them the fastest offense in the country. The defense will continue to improve all year. They are currently the tied with Okalahoma at +800 sitting at 5 and 6 w/ USC, Bama, Texas, Penn St all in front of them.

BOL this week ETG. I think SJSU takes care of business personally. Probably dabble with the ML myself.

Thanks JPICKS- I will probably be on that game, waiting to see what the line does as we get closer to Friday....

Colorado St -8 (2.2 to win 2):

Anytime you are outrushed by an AVERAGE of 371 yds over your last 3 games, I think its safe to say you suck. Colorado St is no world beater by any means but SDST is in the dumps. I was a bit hesitant with this play because CSU has only been a favorite one time all yr (UNLV) but they covered. Also liked seeing JPicks on CSU and that put me at ease. I see no reason for SDST to start playing better here.........Probably have a big card this week, waiting on a whole bunch of lines still.

Last edited:
Good thread man.

Some of you guys starting to get me interested in Auburn. Great qoaute on first half play for them. Also leaning SJSU on Friday night as well. Need to research some more. Love the bama play. No thoughts on Ole Piss.

nice future grab as well.

I would not bet on bama. cody is so critical in this game. UT's Guards are two of the biggest in the country. Bama's middle LBs won't know what hit them since they have been running free all year to stop the run, and now they are gonna be hit in the mouth. tennesee's run D will also prevent bama from the great success they've had all year, and i don't think the playcalling will be quite as easy as it has been all year. I'm going up there and i'm really worried about us in this game.

I would not bet on bama. cody is so critical in this game. UT's Guards are two of the biggest in the country. Bama's middle LBs won't know what hit them since they have been running free all year to stop the run, and now they are gonna be hit in the mouth. tennesee's run D will also prevent bama from the great success they've had all year, and i don't think the playcalling will be quite as easy as it has been all year. I'm going up there and i'm really worried about us in this game.

Thanks Tide for the thoughts. Its my understanding that Cody plays maybe 1/2 of the defensive plays anyway as it is? I'm not downplaying his loss in the middle, as I said, having that mountain in the middle of the 3-4 is critical, I also do have respect for the Tennessee OL but from what I have seen from them overall this year as a team, its very unimpressive. Stevens is not a good passing QB and I feel like they will be limited with their offense. Tennessee is pretty tough on defense overall (maybe 2 or 3rd in total D in the SEC) but I think the Bama OL has their way up front like they have all year. The biggest thing is for Bama to keep its focus for a whole game, I maybe prefer a closer first half than a blow out so they eventually wear down Tennessee and keep pounding at them and have their way in the 2nd half instead of getting undressed in the locker room after the 2nd quarter and letting Tennessee fight back into this game. Have fun at the game

Good thread man.

Some of you guys starting to get me interested in Auburn. Great qoaute on first half play for them. Also leaning SJSU on Friday night as well. Need to research some more. Love the bama play. No thoughts on Ole Piss.

nice future grab as well.

Thanks BAR. Pretty much for me, I'm expecting Auburn to come out with the superior gameplan here. Auburn DC shut WVU down last yr when he was at Pitt, Tubberville and his staff have shut down the Tebow spread so they know what they are going up against. I think Auburn just smacks them in the mouth from the start.

As far as that future goes, if there is only 1 undefeated team in the country, I like the chances of the SEC Champ (UF) getting in. Plain and simple, they are the fastest offense in the country and I think they are poised to make it back there if everything goes their way,.

Nawlins - Thanks buddy

i don't disagree with any of your points. i'm just not comfortable to lay a TD in this spot. Then again i have been waiting for UT to "click" all year and it hasn't happened. I fear their red zone defense. Jones and McCoy seem to have been non existant recently. They are going to have to get many more looks. I KNOW we will have a huge ocaching and confidence edge here though. that has to be worth a couple points. i'll be rootin for you!

on illy with you and the rest of the world, which worries me but still looks like the right side

want to play auburn badly tonight but their offensive woes are still a red flag for me, even against the mediocre dub V front 7

they definitely look like the right side though, and have the tools to dominate the trenches and speed to keep pat white at bay- like ECU and other squads have done this year.....
and didnt know that they have lead at halftime every game this year. good stat

GL this week ETG

UT's best O-Lineman Anthony Parker was injured last week and is questionable for the game and UT's line has been absolutely horrendous all season long. It has been as big a problem as the quarterback disaster. I know the stats on Stephens don't look good, but he is light years ahead of Crompton. If Stephens would have started vs UCLA and Auburn, UT would be 5-2, no doubt in my mind. That being said, all he is right now is a game manager which doesn't go well with a team than can run the ball and can't protect the passer. I think UT has a chance to cover if and only if they can run the ball and get the play-action working off of the threat of running the ball. Stephens has hooked up with Denarious Moore twice in the past two games for 60+ yards passes and UT needs big plays like this because they won't be able to consistently drive the ball on anyone much less Bama. They also need to at least get a few first downs to keep a really good defense off of the field. Tennessee's defense was on the field over 42 minutes against Georgia. It is impossible to play good defense if your on the field that much. I kind of lean the under 41.5 on the game and think the line is about right. I look for Bama to win a low scoring game from anywhere from 4-10 points. Bama 20, Tennessee 10.

UT's best O-Lineman Anthony Parker was injured last week and is questionable for the game and UT's line has been absolutely horrendous all season long. It has been as big a problem as the quarterback disaster. I know the stats on Stephens don't look good, but he is light years ahead of Crompton. If Stephens would have started vs UCLA and Auburn, UT would be 5-2, no doubt in my mind. That being said, all he is right now is a game manager which doesn't go well with a team than can run the ball and can't protect the passer. I think UT has a chance to cover if and only if they can run the ball and get the play-action working off of the threat of running the ball. Stephens has hooked up with Denarious Moore twice in the past two games for 60+ yards passes and UT needs big plays like this because they won't be able to consistently drive the ball on anyone much less Bama. They also need to at least get a few first downs to keep a really good defense off of the field. Tennessee's defense was on the field over 42 minutes against Georgia. It is impossible to play good defense if your on the field that much. I kind of lean the under 41.5 on the game and think the line is about right. I look for Bama to win a low scoring game from anywhere from 4-10 points. Bama 20, Tennessee 10.

Great thoughts man, looking forward to facing you in Columbia in WK10. That under isn't a bad idea at all btw.

on illy with you and the rest of the world, which worries me but still looks like the right side

want to play auburn badly tonight but their offensive woes are still a red flag for me, even against the mediocre dub V front 7

they definitely look like the right side though, and have the tools to dominate the trenches and speed to keep pat white at bay- like ECU and other squads have done this year.....
and didnt know that they have lead at halftime every game this year. good stat

GL this week ETG

Its unfortunate Cap, I was too late to the Illinois party and the line moved up to 2.5 so I never put the bet in and it is still a lean. I think the bye week is going to prove to be a really good thing for Auburn and I think we see an improved showing of offense this week.

Great thoughts man, looking forward to facing you in Columbia in WK10. That under isn't a bad idea at all btw.
Don't know if I look forward to facing that defense, but somehow someway UT seems to always pull it out against SC. I think that finally stops this year. I might actually be heading to that game. SC is one of the few SEC stadiums I haven't been to and would like to get to them all. Might wait til we have a better team going out there though:hang:.

Don't know if I look forward to facing that defense, but somehow someway UT seems to always pull it out against SC. I think that finally stops this year. I might actually be heading to that game. SC is one of the few SEC stadiums I haven't been to and would like to get to them all. Might wait til we have a better team going out there though:hang:.

Columbia is a good time, hit up 5 points to party. Its a night game on ESPN so the stadium should be pretty loud.

Tulsa -23 (2 to win 2):

I don't want to wait for this to go over 24 on Sunday when everyone in the world is on Tulsa. Bottom line here, there is a very good chance UCF has to score 37+ to cover this spread. They've done that 0 times this year. Tulsa is undefeated, the only game on TV, ranked, averaging 64 points at home, and lost twice to UCF last season including the conference championship.

:cheers:

excellent move in finding that article and backing Aub 1H only....

you are the only one i saw that made the effort to do the research, and look how it paid off. man, they fell apart in the second half

nice hit bro

Thanks a lot Cap, happy it played out the way it did. Was watching the game with 2 buddies who went to WVU so I was rooting hard for my 1st half then I jumped on their side for the 2nd half. Bill Stewart is still an f'en moron and has no clue how to coach, even if they did win that game. That guy should fix the helmets, not walk around on the sideline with a head-set...................Can't get into too much detail here but playing SJST+7 (2.2 to win 2)

Last edited:
Troy - Thanks a lot, hopefully I have that breakthrough week I've been waiting for, feel good about this card of games.

DMoney - Thanks man, best of luck to you as well

DDK - Thanks and GL to you as well

Notre Dame -10 (2.4 to win 2):

I usually don't buy points but the number 10.5 makes me uneasy. I also am a full-time hater of ND but I have to give them a try here. Washington is finished and have been since Locker went down. No Locker means no cover for UDub. Washington has gone 4 straight games without a Cover since that BYU game and really don't see a reason for it to change here. ND is 0-2 on the road but the loss at UNC was accompanied by 5 turnovers and they the Mich St game they were another victim of themselves but Washington isn't close to either one of those teams. Willingham might want to try and fire his troops up for this game but its not happening imo. The Washington defense has been horrible lately giving up over 240yds/game on the ground in their last 3 contests and ND should def be able to show some balance here in this game on offense. The ND defense is nothing to get all excite about but neither is the Washington offense. I like ND coming off a bye and tough loss to UNC to right the shit and pick up win #5 here. I think ND wins by 17+

I am still going through a few games, will likely be all finalized some time 2night.

Updated Card:

Temple Under 42.5 (1.1 to win 1)
Bama -7 (2.2 to win 2)
CMU -3.5 (2.2 to win 2)
Tulsa -23 (2.2 to win 2)
SJST +7 (2.2 to win 2)
ND -10 (2.4 to win 2)

Future: UF to win NC (2 to win 16)

I just noticed that I have a lot of fav's this week which so far, hasn't worked out well for me but I can't get my panties in a bunch over that, just picking the games I like. I do like this card of games a lot this week and have a few other games on the radar.

LSU ML (2.5 to win 2):

My hand is forced in this game because of where the line is. According to this spread (LSU gets 4 for homefield and maybe 4.5 if its at night), on a neutral field, the line is UGA -2.5 and if the game was @ UGA, then they would be 6-6.5 point fav's over LSU and I don't buy that. Richt has an excellent road record in SEC play but there are a few reasons I like LSU to win this game. Below is the starting OL for UGA:

LT = Boling, True Sophomore
LG = Glenn, True Freshman
C = Jones, True Freshman
RG = Davis, Redshirt Sophomore
RT = Anderson, Redshirt Freshman

We are talking about 2 true frosh in the middle of that line and with RJF expected back for LSU, that is going to be some trouble for UGA. LSU is very deep on the DL rotating 9 players with RJF in and I think LSU wins this matchup in the trenches. On the other side of the ball, UGA has the leading rush defense in the SEC but I go back to that Bama game when UGA faced a big dominant OL and look at what happened. LSU and Bama probably have the 2 best OL's in the conference and I think similar to the SC game, eventually the LSU OL will wear them down..Now there are some matchups that are concerning like Stafford throwing on that secondary but I think LSU is going to bring some heat and try to get pressure on Stafford and if his young OL doesn't hold up or play like it did versus Vandy, his time is going to be limited. LSU will find points tough to come by but so will UGA I believe. The juice isn't killer and playing at home, I think LSU has enough to win this game which is all they have to do on the ML.

Also, this is going to be a very physical game and UGA has a pissed off Urban Cryer and UF team waiting in the wings. I think UF is going to win by 10+ in that game next week.

Going out and getting too drunk on Thursday night saved me money tonight. I decided to take it easy, watched the 1st half of the Boise game, didn't like what I saw and got out of the game with a Boise 2nd half play that I was lucky to hit but at the end of the day I can walk away 2night with basically a push.

Found this article on the CMU game, I really love this game, upgrading CMU to 3units.

October 24, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Chips invade Glass-Bowl Stadium
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Chips invade Glass-Bowl Stadium "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Chips invade Glass-Bowl Stadium"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT>

Chips Invade Glass Bowl

Steve Bushong
ChippewaCountry.com Senior Editor
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in the Message Boards

On Saturday the Chippewas take on their fifth MAC opponent of the year on Saturday against the Toledo Rockets. The Chippewas enter Glass-Bowl Stadium with a 5-2 record (4-0 in MAC play), while the Rockets hold a 2-5 (1-2) record.

The Chippewas are coming off an emotional 38-28 win against hated rival Western Michigan. In this game, Dan LeFevour was held out with an ankle injury. Backup Brian Brunner took the snaps and had an excellent day, going 20-for-28 for 346 yards and a touchdown. LeFevour is expected to start against the Rockets on Saturday.

The Rockets had a nice win of their own recently against the Michigan Wolverines. The Rockets rolled into The Big House and walked away with a narrow 13-10 win in a defensive battle. The difference in the game was a 100 yard interception return for a touchdown by #28 S Tyrrell Herbert. The Rockets followed up this monumental upset with a less than stellar performance at Northern Illinois, resulting in a 38-7 defeat.

For the series, the Rockets lead 17-16-3 but the Chippewas have won three straight and are going for a fourth. The last meeting between these two teams was the scene of Antonio Brown's coming out party. In his first career start, Brown recorded 9 catches for 105 yards and a touchdown, in addition to 93 total return yards.

This year's meeting promises to have a similar outcome for the dynamic Brown, who had another excellent game last week against WMU. Brown found his way into the endzone using his fifth method of his career. With a 2-yard pass to tight end Rocky Weaver off of a reverse pass, Brown added a touchdown pass to his credit (to go with his rushing, receiving, punt return, and kick returns for touchdowns in his career).

The major story on Saturday will be the Chippewa offense. Prior to last week, the CMU offense had not returned to its explosive 2007 form (34.8 points per game). After piling up 38 points against a very talented and experienced WMU defense, the Chippewa offense has found its stride once again.
<!--Start poblah 200 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1203/708453.jpg', '708453.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Poblah had a career high 81 yards against Western.', 'cmuchippewas.com', 1224898490000, 'poblah 200', 1203, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
708453.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>cmuchippewas.com</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Poblah had a career high 81 yards against Western.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End poblah 200 Image-->
Balance was the theme of the game against the Broncos. CMU has always had success throwing the ball (267 yards per game in 2007, 265.9 ypg in 2008), but running the ball with consistency has been a major struggle for the Chippewas this season.

That all changed last week with the emergence of freshman tailbacks Bryan Schroeder and Paris Cotton. Schroeder went for 106 yards and 2 scores off of 25 carries. As a team, the Chippewas accounted for 41 carries for 176 yards, three touchdowns on the ground.

Couple this type of explosiveness and balance on offense for CMU with a suspect defense for Toledo and you have yourself a recipe for a lot of points. Toledo has allowed an average of 32.4 points per game this season.

Toledo runs a version of a 4-2-5 defense. The leading tackler for the Rockets in 2008 is #42 LB Archie Donald (61). Donald is also tied for the team lead in interceptions (2).

Toledo has received excellent play from its safeties as well. #8 SS Barry Church and the aforementioned #28 FS Tyrrell Herbert are second and third on the team in tackles with 54 and 40 stops, respectively.

"Church and Herbert are the leaders of the secondary and leaders of the defense overall," reports Head Coach Tom Amstutz. "They are players who we can count on to make big plays. They have good communication and a good relationship with each other that makes them a stronger force."

A fourth player to keep an eye on for the Toledo defense is #34 Rover Lester Richmond. As a strong safety/linebacker hybrid, Richmond will be lined up all over the field for the Rockets and Saturday. Richmond has recorded 35 total tackles for the season, with 2 TFL.

However, after these four players the Rockets really struggle to find playmakers. These four players are all in the top 5 in Toledo tacklers, and combine for 4 out of 5 of the interceptions grabbed by the Rockets in 2008.

Another alarming trend for the Rockets is their inability to get any sort of pass rush. In seven games for the Rockets, they have recorded only 6 sacks. Regardless of who plays quarterback for the Chippewas, they will have all day to get the ball downfield to CMU's talented receivers. Stopping the run could also be an issue for the Rockets front four. The four down lineman for Toledo average only 256 pounds a man.

Offensively, the Rockets run a version of the spread not unlike the Central Michigan version. The Rockets will typically go with a three receiver, one back, one tight end formation. Junior #11 Aaron Opelt returns at quarterback. For the season, Opelt is 147-for-238 for 1264 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Opelt is efficient at quarterback, but not explosive or dangerous. The Rockets average only 191 yards per game through the air. Opelt has only thrown over 200 yards twice this season (257 at Michigan, 265 against Fresno State).

However, Toledo does have some talented receivers. The Chippewa secondary will again be tested this week by the duo of #88 Stephen Williams and #1 Nick Moore.

"I would say they are the most talented pair of receivers we've ever had since I've been head coach," said Amztutz. "We expect a lot out of them. Stephen Williams is a big-play receiver. He came into his own last year. We expect him to be a big part of our offense this year. Nick Moore is a senior and will be the leader of the receiving corps. He has excellent hands, and he's really developing as a special receiver."

For the season, Williams has gone for 50 grabs for 481 yards and five touchdowns. Moore has been equally dangerous, especially in his 20 catch, 160 yard performance at Michigan two weeks ago. Together, they have combined for 92 catches for 857 yards.

The Rockets have shown they will run the ball out of the spread. Toledo runs the ball about 28 times a game, and they have racked up 862 rush yards for the season (4.3 ypc). #22 DaJuane Collins leads the Rockets in rushing with 463 rush yards (6.9 ypc).

After all is said and done, CMU is just more talented than the Rockets on both sides of the ball. The Chippewas offense will improve upon its explosion against Western, as the Toledo defense will be exposed by the plethora of Chippewa playmakers.

CMU 41
Toledo 17

Updated Card:

Temple Under 42.5 (1.1 to win 1)
SJST +7 (2.2 to win 2)
Boise -3.5 (2nd half) (2.2 to win 2)
CMU -3.5 (3.3 to win 3)
Bama -7 (2.2 to win 2)
Tulsa -23 (2.2 to win 2)
ND -10 (2.4 to win 2)
LSU ML (2.5 to win 2)

Future: UF to win NC (2 to win 16)
<SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT>

Last edited:
Back