Week 9: Showdown in the Shoe

Marsski

MAC Marvel
YTD: 50-38, +14.75

E Michigan hasn't won that many games but they have been in all of them. Biggest loss was in OT by 7 to my Bobcats. They have a tough D that always keeps them in the game.
Now, they go on the road to face NIU who hasn't been that impressive to me--beat up on shitty Kent & BG but 14-13 vs. Buffalo and misleading win over Huskers.

I will take those points...

E Mich +8 to win 1 unit

Will be back later in the week with OSU/PSU thoughts....

Week 9 Card:

E Mich +8 to win 1 unit
Toledo -25 to win 1 unit

Cal +3 to win 1 unit (-115)
Minnesota GG +7.5 to win 1 unit (-115)
OK State/WBGVU Over 74 to win 1 unit

Arizona State +3.5 to win 1 unit (-115)
Buckeyes -7 2H to win 1 unit (-120)
Arizona TT over 32 to win 1 unit (-120)

Teaser:
Buckeyes ML/Under 60.5 to win 2 units

56-41, +16.25

Last edited:
Question...

Why isn't OSU/PSU a night game?

I get all the new TV regulations etc but I would have figured this would be 730/800 almost for sure.

Question...

I get all the new TV regulations etc but I would have figured this would be 730/800 almost for sure.

Yeah, i thought it was gonna be a night game too. I know Urban has been complaining about playing all of the away night games...maybe Gene made sure it was in afternoon??

Question...

Because the game is on Fox and they want the world series in the primetime slot. Total crap.

I don't even know...does the world series get big ratings?

OSU/PSU should be a ratings bonanza...
Two of top Four biggest markets in US playing. I mean, it could be Tampa and Arizona and it would still be ahead of any CFB games. I keep forgetting about the Fox element this season. It changed things.

Don't worry, we get that exciting Minny-Michigan game at 7:30 next week. Nothing better for a Saturday night than a 16-10 stinker.

Two of top Four biggest markets in US playing. I mean, it could be Tampa and Arizona and it would still be ahead of any CFB games. I keep forgetting about the Fox element this season. It changed things.

Wait what, Tampa?

May have some weather coming into CBUS Saturday.
85 percent chance of rain right now @ kickoff...could be a wet one, helps slow the track one would think

They got a mess on their hands in Boulder after pulling the starter and playing 3 in a shutout loss to Wazzou. Hard to see them getting things straightened out and I was fairly impressed with what I saw especially on third down (13/19) from Cal vs Zona. Didn't want to lose the 3...

ADD:

Cal Bears +3 to win 1 unit

I'm shocked that Colorado is favored. Home field also brings nothing to them at this point in the season. In terms of QB, defense and overall physicality they are outmatched. Colorado's soft offensive line doesn't have a chance to help out its poor qb, whoever one plays. We already saw for instance vs Wazzou what kind of pressure Cal's sack attack is capable of. I don't see how the Buffs put up points.

I have Iowa/Minnesota pretty even up in my book. Should be low scoring game, I'll take the points. Minny needs this game to go bowling, Fleck knows it too and I think they pull out all the stops...

Minnesota GG +7.5 to win 1 unit

Concerned here about Minny's run D. LJ Scott really tore them up after having done nothing all season and Iowa's O revolves around its top running back. Thoughts?

My rule is never give points with Iowa at home. 10-20 over the last five years as a home favorite, but Iowa has been that way for years. I learned years ago to take Iowa with points in big games at home, but never give points with them. It's saved me a lot of money over the years. They are better as road favorites than home favorites.

Same with Georgia. No matter who coaches them over the years they are poison as home favorites. But they were one of the best SU road teams under Richt--maybe the best, although I never did the math to see--and better than .500 as a road favorite..

Concerned here about Minny's run D. LJ Scott really tore them up after having done nothing all season and Iowa's O revolves around its top running back. Thoughts?

Not really too scared of Iowa's run game...Big Ten results: 33/89 vs NW, 38/191 vs Ill, 25/19 vs MSU, 23/82 PSU
I like Wadley but not really seeing great production here...I think they have had some OL injuries. Minnesota just ran for almost 3 bills on Illinois...this is going to be a smash mouth game for sure and I just don't see Iowa as any better than Minnesota in a power football match-up.

And as Tahoe Legend points out, Iowa is also a bad home favorite. I thought it was worth playing above 7.

OSU/PSU

I think weather is going to play a big factor in this game giving Barkley an off-track that will slow him down along with a Buckeye DL that will be in the backfield all game. I do think Penn State will try to use him in a pass-catching role since OK was killing OSU with passes to backs. I think OSU will make McSorley beat them and the weakest link in my opinion will be trying to cover PSU's excellent TE.

I think a wet ball will hurt JT & Co. who still haven't had a big game vs. a top opponent, and I expect them to lean on the run game. I think OSU OL is a bit underrated right now and I look for Weber/Dobbins to have some running lanes.

Assuming we have some weather, I look for a smash mouth game where both coaches are playing it close to the vest with so much on the line. The best unit on the field will be the OSU defensive line in my opinion, and I expect the end of the game to be Urban gripping as the Buckeyes fend off a late challenge from PSU.

I think we see something like 24-20 Buckeyes...I teased OSU down to ML and pushed under up.

Played a two unit teaser...

OSU ML/Under 60.5 to win 2 units

Hmm can't take under having already laid the lumber on the favorite, this weather stuff is gonna be an issue...just hard to quantify it I guess.

Any updates for CMH?

Hmm can't take under having already laid the lumber on the favorite, this weather stuff is gonna be an issue...just hard to quantify it I guess.

Any updates for CMH?

Forecasted weather in CMH for Saturday: 100 percent chance of rain, afternoon showers expected, wind 15-20 mph

Reactions: KJ
It sounds like Ball State will have to throw a redshirt freshman to the wolves tonight in Muncie as he practiced with the first team this week. Their top receiver has a groin injury and is questionable. They give up sacks right and left. They have the # 92 run defense. I don't think we will see more than 10 out of the Cardinals who haven't scored a touchdown this month. Even though I don't like the spot for the Rockets, it's hard to see this game being close...

ADD:

Toledo -25 to win 1 unit

Last edited:
Lets do it ksimpsc...

May have jumped the gun on my weather call in CBUS...forecast now has showers arriving earlier in day and mostly clear by kickoff...I guess we shall see

Back