Week 9 ML Dog Discussion

NMSU Qb could decide to throw instead of run around , I couldve had a chance in that one.

He may have an illness Friday night going into this week.

Press, regarding the Ponies....
I know it sounds weird, but with LSU having a bye and the ponies off the big win.....might be a decent crowd at Yuleman.....not that it will be imposing, but the situation is nice for Tulane off the loss....

Just talking out loud....

Purdue. Penn State coming off the biggest win of the Franklin era, going on the road for an early kickoff. This is a classic letdown spot.

Thoughts on Utah St home +205 vs SD St Friday?

One thing that bothers me about SD St is that they haven't been challenged by a decent team in what, a month, more, all year? Nice for them to finally get the dominating scoreboard result after some games they dominated, but didn't show in terms of points. Utah St not what they used to be, but if you stop the run (somehow S Bama did), can SD St win this game threw the air or with more balance then they typically have? Not quite sure I even like Utah St with the pts yet, but just want to get other's feedback. Last year SD ST dominated, but I wonder how much of that may have been Ag's hangover from beating Boise? These guys haven't played a bunch recently.

UConn +218?...ECU has been dog in every IA game this year and did have alot of near misses. Here they are -7 UConn a bit of an enigma to me. Off one of their better offensive outputs of the year in terms of yardage in the loss to UCF, but only scores 16. Looking at some of their other games...they move the ball, but RZ O is terrible....but so is ECU. Seems like UConn likes to kick FGs in RZ and ECU likes to turn it over there. I guess if ECU doesn't turn it over like they normally do they win this game...but ECU just always does.

Iowa State +209. ISU off a bye, at home and have played alot of teams tough, tough enough to win in some cases....Baylor and Ok St. Played even with Texas in the first half until Horns blew them away in the 2nd. K St won the last 2 years, but just by combined 7 pts.

Duke +213. I don't necessarily like them, but they just played Army 2 games ago and are off a bye week. So they have alot of recent prep for an option team and Duke has won the last 2 vs Jackets.

Kentucky +172. Not sure if UK has potential to let down here, I mean they don't have too many big wins like they had last week. Not really much to like about Mizzou right now is there?

Texas Tech +290...feels like anything could happen in this game, as in TCU wins by 4 TDs or Texas Tech wins by 4 TDs. I don't know. I probably wouldn't play this ML so not sure why I am putting it here...TCU just isn't that good so it wouldn't surprise if they lose. Nothing to like about a Red Raider D either though.

Oklahoma St +159. Little gun shy going against WVU after last week, but Ok St > TCU perhaps?

Georgia +258. Georgia ran all over SC and couldn't pass. Vs Vandy they couldn't run but threw it all over. Can they put some balance together? They did outgain Vandy like 4:1 in that loss. I like of like the Dawgs off the Vandy loss - bye week- hated rivalry game. Seems like a good bounce back spot, or is the Gator D too good for that?

Florida State +172. Feels like a one possession game being decided late perhaps. Not a good matchup for Noles D based on how they've played vs good O teams this year, but sometimes I wonder what Clemson team shows up week-to-week.

Arizona State +250. Assuming that a Duck team on a 5 game skid will win? Az St QB situation a mess, but they nearly came back to beat Wazzou relying heavily on running direct snap to RB out of their sparky formation after Wilkins got hurt. I like it much more if Wilkins can go over the frosh QB. Wilkins seemed to be ok from the ankle injury last week, but then got a shoulder stinger.

If I had to pick 1 to play right now it would probably be Georgia.

Purdue. Penn State coming off the biggest win of the Franklin era, going on the road for an early kickoff. This is a classic letdown spot.

This and there will actually be some thank the lord we fired Hazell buzz and energy in the stadium. I think Purdue has a very real shot to win this straight up. My disclaimer is always I'm a giant homer but I also was in here two weeks ago talking about how Iowa would embarrass this team.

I have Ave to say though that Parker has this team buying in and they think they will win Saturday. The best thing I saw against Nebraska was the awful running back pass trick play that gifted Nebraska their first td but Parker acted like he didn't even care. They rallied anyway where a Hazell team would've added insult to injury.

Obviously Purdue will have major issues up front protecting Blough but they'll get created to move him around and buy some time. I'm oddly excited about this one...which probably means bad things...lol

Michigan State. I don't really even like MSU to cover, but last year's result was such a shocker that I'd have to say that MSU has better than a 1 in 12 shot this year. More like 1 in 6.

Line feels like a trap, but Arizona +190/200 (ish) has to be work a look, especially with Dawkins playing

Have not had much time this week to contribute.
Last week did well on the points but none of my ML dogs won outright
This week considering the following
Navy +7 and ML
Texas Tech + 9.5 and ML
Iowa State +7 and ML
Nebraska +9 and ML
UTEP +5 and ML
Lots of home dogs this week, 24 teams if I counted right

Have not had much time this week to contribute.
Last week did well on the points but none of my ML dogs won outright
This week considering the following
Navy +7 and ML
Texas Tech + 9.5 and ML
Iowa State +7 and ML
Nebraska +9 and ML
UTEP +5 and ML
Lots of home dogs this week, 24 teams if I counted right
I like em. I may even tease all of them.

Anyone think Navy has a chance?

I would suppose they have a chance. Navy continues to exceed expectations while USF is trying to live up to their's. 300+ rushing yards allowed vs Temple last week, wow. And Navy did a number on them last year...as in 22-9 first down edge and ran for 428.

How bad is Flower's hamstring injury?

Normally a game I'd like Navy in, but don't feel like I have a pulse on what might happen here. USF should get theirs, certainly better than last year assuming Flowers can be mobile and run like his normal self. I'm not worried about the USF O so much, just like Houston and Memphis, teams can move the ball and sometimes score a good bit on the Mids, but it is how the D plays the Navy option that determines the outcomes.

Guess I lean USF to win and would rather take them to cover, but doubt I play it.

Do you like Navy here?

Wyoming +460 anyone?

Now I am not your typical handicapper. I don't know anything that other people here don't and in fact I learn alot from reading what people here say even if I watched the game. I'm just not analytical like that, I watch games for entertainment, fun excitement and hopefully to cheer winning bets to victory!

So I just don't want anyone to blindly follow what I say, if you like what I say then sure, follow your gut and hunches if they align with me, great, hopefully we win together. But always trust your own instincts first and foremost. I might present information that you haven't looked at the way I am typing it, but it is just some opinions, observations and historical perspective that anyone could do.

Ok, now Wyoming. I like betting Wyoming, sometimes I get lucky and they backdoor the spread, or even a lucky ML winner like SD ST several years ago when they were 19 pt dog. This year there have been two WYO ML play wins discussed in our threads (vs CSU and AF). I went to a game there once and drank too much the night before and rode a mechanical bull in downtown Laramie and kicked some butt in foosball! Maybe I have a soft spot for the Pokes, or a hardon depending on your perspective. I have bet them against Boise alot...and lost alot. Vs Boise, WYO covered last year +34/35 but they were dominated really and got under the number only when Boise let up in the second half. Last time in Laramie it was downright embarrassing to have money on Pokes, which I did.

Series history (italics in Laramie):
2015 Boise -35 (34-14) Boise led 24-0 and 34-7
2014 Boise -12' (63-14) Boise led 56-7 after 3 qrt
2013 Boise -24 (48-7) WYO led 7-0, Boise scored the next 48
2012 #21 Boise -15' (45-14) WYO held to just 54y rushing on 32 att (1.7)
2011 #7 Boise -35 (36-14) WYO led 7-0 in 2nd, Boise scored next 36 with 374-51 yardage in that span
2010 #3 Boise -23' (51-6) Boise led 34-0 halftime with 409-39 yardage
2007 Boise -12' (24-14) Boise led just 7-0 halftime and only outgained WYO by 41 yards
2006 Boise -7' (17-10) WYO held Boise scoreless 2nd half and to season low 246y, 174 below their avg
2003 Boise -23 (33-17) Boise 31-13 first down edge
2002 Boise -6 (35-13) Boise went 11-1, WYO 2-10 this year

Avg line 19.45.
Avg line in Laramie 13.
Avg score 38.6 - 12.3
Avg score in Laramie 42.2 - 11.4

Boise dominates them. A roster mismatch. Wyoming has only scored a high of 17 pts vs them once. Boise has been damn good for quite a while, Wyoming has not. In the span of years covered above, Wyoming has just 3 winning seasons while Boise has 11 double digit win seasons out of 14 seasons.

Currently WYO is averaging 34.4 ppg O....that is their best since 1996 (prior best was 2013 31.3 - a year '03 that was also one of their worst defensively and got Christensen fired). Typically WYO is struggling to score avg somewhere in the high teens to twenties. The D is improved some this year, mainly in how they are flying around and getting turnovers.

The current number is 14/460.

I look back to the last time Boise came to Laramie in late mid November 2014, that line was 12.5 (according to Phil Steele, my notes have it at 14). In Bohl's first year, that 2014 Wyoming team was not good. They finished just 4-8, they allowed 44 sacks! Boise by comparison finished 12-2, MWC and Fiesta Bowl Champs. Back in 2012, Boise was favored by 15.5, just 1.5 pts higher than this current number. Wyoming entered that game 1-6...Boise was 6-1.

Turn the page to 2016, Boise may be on track to again take the MWC Championship and a New Year's Day bowl, but this Wyoming team is clearly not in the same position, they have a competent offense both running and passing, a play making QB, an all-conference RB, a more experienced OL, on D they have a Thorpe Award Semi-finalist, force turnovers (#1 MW) and score D TDs (tied #2 nationally at 4). Why then is the line the same when atleast one of the teams are not the same. Clearly there would be value by point spread comparison on Wyoming plus points here. But an upset win? Improbable to the highest degree based on history.

There is danger here. Danger that Boise boat races them per usual.

But Boise hasn't been quite as dominant as their usual self. Of course their was the 49-21 win at N Mex. But they seemed to shut it down in Corvalis and let Ore St back in the game. The ho-hum game vs Utah St. They seemed to shut it down vs Col St and let them back in the game. Last week they made mistakes that allowed BYU to hang around and Cougs almost beat them. I'd submit that Wyoming brings a better O than BYU, CSU ,Utah St, and Ore St. Not a better D than some of those teams, but if Boise is going to have close games in the 4th qrt vs some of those teams and Wyoming can move the ball better and has the 7220' stadium rocking then maybe we see something this series hasn't seen in almost a decade, a close game.

As a fan of the game and as somebody who bets games for the short-term excitement of it rather than the long-term strategy of efficiently making money, there is nothing better than being on a big unexpected upset backed up by a nice payday if it hits. Wyoming knocking off Boise St is not a bet for the risk adverse, probably not smart either. It might take luck, it might take some questionable penalties or no calls, it might take Bronco turnovers (which they sometimes give away more than you'd think...3 INTs vs W ST, 2 INTs vs BYU - and Wyoming is good at getting INTs).

I'm not trying to tell anyone to take this with me. Follow your own head and gut. But if Pokes come out on top, raise your glass to the Brown and Gold and think of me sitting somewhere in my Wyoming shirt (I have shirts for almost every team I wear on game day according to bets) basking in the profit of an unexpected upset.

Don't laugh, lunch money on Utah. UW may win but I think in typical Utah fashion this comes down to the final minutes.

Wyoming +460 anyone?

Now I am not your typical handicapper. I don't know anything that other people here don't and in fact I learn alot from reading what people here say even if I watched the game. I'm just not analytical like that, I watch games for entertainment, fun excitement and hopefully to cheer winning bets to victory!

So I just don't want anyone to blindly follow what I say, if you like what I say then sure, follow your gut and hunches if they align with me, great, hopefully we win together. But always trust your own instincts first and foremost. I might present information that you haven't looked at the way I am typing it, but it is just some opinions, observations and historical perspective that anyone could do.

Ok, now Wyoming. I like betting Wyoming, sometimes I get lucky and they backdoor the spread, or even a lucky ML winner like SD ST several years ago when they were 19 pt dog. This year there have been two WYO ML play wins discussed in our threads (vs CSU and AF). I went to a game there once and drank too much the night before and rode a mechanical bull in downtown Laramie and kicked some butt in foosball! Maybe I have a soft spot for the Pokes, or a hardon depending on your perspective. I have bet them against Boise alot...and lost alot. Vs Boise, WYO covered last year +34/35 but they were dominated really and got under the number only when Boise let up in the second half. Last time in Laramie it was downright embarrassing to have money on Pokes, which I did.

2011 #7 Boise -35 (36-14) WYO led 7-0 in 2nd, Boise scored next 36 with 374-51 yardage in that span
2007 Boise -12' (24-14) Boise led just 7-0 halftime and only outgained WYO by 41 yards
2006 Boise -7' (17-10) WYO held Boise scoreless 2nd half and to season low 246y, 174 below their avg

Avg line 19.45.
Avg line in Laramie 13.
Avg score 38.6 - 12.3

Boise dominates them. A roster mismatch. Wyoming has only scored a high of 17 pts vs them once. Boise has been damn good for quite a while, Wyoming has not. In the span of years covered above, Wyoming has just 3 winning seasons while Boise has 11 double digit win seasons out of 14 seasons.

Currently WYO is averaging 34.4 ppg O....that is their best since 1996 (prior best was 2013 31.3 - a year '03 that was also one of their worst defensively and got Christensen fired). Typically WYO is struggling to score avg somewhere in the high teens to twenties. The D is improved some this year, mainly in how they are flying around and getting turnovers.

I look back to the last time Boise came to Laramie in late mid November 2014, that line was 12.5 (according to Phil Steele, my notes have it at 14). In Bohl's first year, that 2014 Wyoming team was not good. They finished just 4-8, they allowed 44 sacks! Boise by comparison finished 12-2, MWC and Fiesta Bowl Champs. Back in 2012, Boise was favored by 15.5, just 1.5 pts higher than this current number. Wyoming entered that game 1-6...Boise was 6-1.

Turn the page to 2016, Boise may be on track to again take the MWC Championship and a New Year's Day bowl, but this Wyoming team is clearly not in the same position, they have a competent offense both running and passing, a play making QB, an all-conference RB, a more experienced OL, on D they have a Thorpe Award Semi-finalist, force turnovers (#1 MW) and score D TDs (tied #2 nationally at 4). Why then is the line the same when atleast one of the teams are not the same. Clearly there would be value by point spread comparison on Wyoming plus points here. But an upset win? Improbable to the highest degree based on history.

But Boise hasn't been quite as dominant as their usual self. Of course their was the 49-21 win at N Mex. But they seemed to shut it down in Corvalis and let Ore St back in the game. The ho-hum game vs Utah St. They seemed to shut it down vs Col St and let them back in the game. Last week they made mistakes that allowed BYU to hang around and Cougs almost beat them. I'd submit that Wyoming brings a better O than BYU, CSU ,Utah St, and Ore St. Not a better D than some of those teams, but if Boise is going to have close games in the 4th qrt vs some of those teams and Wyoming can move the ball better and has the 7220' stadium rocking then maybe we see something this series hasn't seen in almost a decade, a close game.

As a fan of the game and as somebody who bets games for the short-term excitement of it rather than the long-term strategy of efficiently making money, there is nothing better than being on a big unexpected upset backed up by a nice payday if it hits. Wyoming knocking off Boise St is not a bet for the risk adverse, probably not smart either. It might take luck, it might take some questionable penalties or no calls, it might take Bronco turnovers (which they sometimes give away more than you'd think...3 INTs vs W ST, 2 INTs vs BYU - and Wyoming is good at getting INTs).

I'm not trying to tell anyone to take this with me. Follow your own head and gut. But if Pokes come out on top, raise your glass to the Brown and Gold and think of me sitting somewhere in my Wyoming shirt (I have shirts for almost every team I wear on game day according to bets) basking in the profit of an unexpected upset.

great post.

I might be starting to like Tulsa a little. They have played well on the road this year. Played tOSU tough in the first half (although threw 2 pick-sixes in heavy rain). They didn't come out playing well at Fresno, got down 31-0! But they rallied for an unbelievable comeback win there. Took Houston to the absolute wire as well 2 weeks ago.

Scoring O AAC ranking
Tulsa #2 39.7 ppg
Memphis #4 38.4 ppg

D'Angelo Brewer leads AAC in rushing ypg (114.71), and James Flanders is #4 with 93 ypg.

Sr QB Dane Evans and Memphis QB Ferguson are pretty even...Ferguson a little more efficient in compl %, TD-INT ratio, but pretty even and Evans is in his 4th year starting. One difference is that Ferguson is getting sacked, more, maybe due to Evans' experience can get rid of the ball better. Memphis is getting sacked just over 3x per game (119th nationally). Neither team rushes the passer great, but Tulsa is actually a little better getting sacks (13 vs 7 on the year).

There is a big difference in Scoring D, AAC ranking
Tulsa #11 32.1 ppg
Memphis #2 22.6 ppg

Memphis would appear to have the better D and their statistical rankings look good, but some of that is bolstered by allowing just 7 pts and 314y to KU, 3 pts and 294y to BGSU, 14 pts and 313y to Tulane. On the other hand Temple, for instance got 531y and over 6 ypp with 27 pts against Memphis D. And I think Tulsa's offense brings something to the table alot closer to what Temple did compared to the bad teams this Memphis D has padded it's stats against.

Tulsa has never been known for playing good D and Memphis should be able to run the ball on Tulsa, as most teams have. But if Memphis' D is not as good as I think then Tulsa can hang tough, punch for punch.

Hard to be impressed with alot of the play out of Memphis the last few weeks...Tulane led them 7-3, 7-6 and Memphis only led 13-7 at HT (won 24-14). At home vs Temple, Owls actually led 13-0 (2 short FGs), Memphis did come back for a 34-27 win (scored TD on D and ST), but Tem QB passed for career high 445! (only game ever over 400y for him). Temple outgained them 531-323.

I just haven't seen much out of Memphis to impress me since they played tough at Ole Miss.

Certainly seems like Tulsa could win this game. Memphis was a beast last year and beat the Golden Hurricans 66-42 (just 42-35 in 3rd qrt).

It's going to come down to how much damage Memphis does in the running game and if Tulsa's O is efficient enough to keep up. I think the later will happen so the former is the biggest concern, but maybe Tulsa can do some damage on the ground themselves.

great post.

Thanks. Not much compelling "here's how it will happen", but hopefully it can be a close game. No doubt the best team that Wyoming has fielded for this game in quite some time. The point spread is more indicative of series history rather than WYO improvement, unless the oddsmakers don't think the WYO improvement is real, or some kind of mirage built on inferior opponents. We'll find out 8 hours from now. +525 now. Not going to be easy!

Marc Lawrence‏ @MarcLawrence

From This Week’s Playbook Football Newsletter: Memphis is 0-7 ATS home vs. Tulsa while the host in the series is 1-12-1 ATS.

Tulsa is only 1-2 ATS road games this year, but in 2015 they were 4-0 ATS on the road as underdogs (barely backdoored ECU for that cover) and 6-0 overall fav/dog. Looking at their 2 deep online, 15 of the 22 defenders are Jr or Sr...every skill player on O is upperclassman except for #3 WR Hobbs (30r-406y), while OL has been pretty healthy with mostly consistent lineups, 90 career starts between the starters and depth. Seem like a pretty veteran and healthy team to be taking the road here.

Great stuff s--k, GL today

Thanks best to you as well! Let's get some upsets!

Georgia 50 to win 115
FSU 50 to win 87
Tulsa 50 to win 112
Wyo 10 to win 52.

May add to Wyo later if I want to step further out on that limb.

agree, good stuff s-k and others
best of luck to all
going to stick with the following 1/2 unit on points and smaller on ML

Iowa State
Nebraska
Texas Tech
UTEP
adding Tulsa
adding Oregon State

Wyoming +460 anyone?

Avg line 19.45.
Avg line in Laramie 13.
Avg score 38.6 - 12.3

Glass raised, my friend. Nice call, and enjoy the win.

Thanks. Not much compelling "here's how it will happen", but hopefully it can be a close game. No doubt the best team that Wyoming has fielded for this game in quite some time. The point spread is more indicative of series history rather than WYO improvement, unless the oddsmakers don't think the WYO improvement is real, or some kind of mirage built on inferior opponents. We'll find out 8 hours from now. +525 now. Not going to be easy!
BOOM!

View attachment 41590

That was fun!

If I'd a grabbed my balls coulda really made out. Did end up risking just 20 for 105 plus big 2.5u play on the spread for a nice overall take.

You know Boise has just played with fire all year it seems. If you watched the game there was a time in the 2nd quarter where Boise looked like the Boise everyone knows, unstoppable. They had that 99y drive after WYO was stopped on 4th and 1 at the goaline for a TD, but WYO answered right back. And then the 2016 inconsistent Boise played the rest of the game.

Really thought that Wyoming's lack of pressure would be their downfall, they go two sacks right before half to stop any potential Boise drive there before halftime, but all game, they couldn't get much, until the 4th quarter and the ironic that Wyoming's biggest weakness being their pass rush, creates the fumble and safety and ultimately the win.

Definitely was a fun bet to watch come in.

Gator D dominated Dawgs, but Tulsa rolled and FSU came oh so close. Good 2-2 ML outcome on those still and 3-1 ats on them.

Lots of nice upset wins on the board today, hopefully everyone getting some!

agree, good stuff s-k and others
best of luck to all
going to stick with the following 1/2 unit on points and smaller on ML

Iowa State
Nebraska
Texas Tech
UTEP
adding Tulsa
adding Oregon State

Two near misses on the ISU and Nebraska. Man ISU let so many opportunities get away in that game. But assuming you play them with the spread also those two cashed! Didn't see any UTEP...TTech & Tulsa nice winners, and let's go Beavs to close it out!

Glass raised, my friend. Nice call, and enjoy the win.

S-K, nice fucking call! Wow!

Great hit on Wyoming s--k!!

Legendary

Cool thanks everyone. I did have a similar wrong call on UConn vs USF a few weeks back. So you win some and you lose some, nice to have it go your way sometimes! But you got to take some chances to get the payoffs.

This is an absolutely huge game for Army if they are to become bowl eligible.

West Point is a magical place. Great to see them winning again...great to see them bounce back from that awful loss last week with a road win this week!

Great call on WYO. I took them ATS but helluva call nonetheless. the writeup was extremely helpful.

Back