Week 9 discussion

saints hae a good d though, surprisingly. think the jets are showing their true colors now...they arent a good team

i think pass d much more so than run,, really depends if jets defense can keep them around so jets can rush it 50 times. jets can do some work rushing the ball, just a matter if they will be afforded that luxury. geno scares me against a team that throws so many looks at the qb but at least if anything rex outta be able to somewhat prepare him for his brothers schemes i would think..

Only thing keeping me off the titans is the rams d is pretty decent & tenny doesnt really have many weapons.

Also stl didnt get beat up by seattle the way other teams have...the hawks actually looked disinterested.

That game should be a shitfest so i dont want any part of it

really hard to find points in that gm..

Ok maybe not a dream, both teams off a bye but Colts off beating the undefeated Broncos @ home, now on road without their #1 target in the passing game. Houston has looked awful all season but I think rally around Keenum. He played a pretty solid game vs a very tough defense @Arrowhead, I think as long as Houston has Tate or Foster he will have the opportunity to make some big plays. Colts run d is bad, I don't think they have looked rock solid at all. They have a pretty easy november schedule I would say this is the toughest game they have....perception is that the Colts beat Seattle, SF, Denver, Houston should be another W. I don't think it plays out that way

i agree, it either hou or nothing, just have to see about the backs 1st.. i dont think indy will have lot of success pressing up on hopkins and johnson and def think keenum proved in a tough spot that he capable of getting the ball down the field to playmakers...going from wayne on 3rd downs to stone hands DHB gonna be bit of a problem in Pep hamiltons 2 yards and a cloud of dust offense if those 3rd downs are being dropped. i think this may turn TY into a star but not sure he ready for the role to make the big time drive moving plays over and over as of yet..

Dolphins qualify as a 50 point swing play. But not sure if I could take em

think im gonna tease them with under, play under straight, and maybe take some of the ml.. why? i dunno.. i think their pass d can put ginger back in his place, problem is cincy should be able to run the ball and not sure i can say the same thing about fish.. think it gonna be close and pretty low scoring, both these teams been cashing in red zone trips at a really high clip, against a couple sound defenses kinda think they both regress a little in that department and again i expect quite a bit of rushing in this gm.. under prob best but these damn gms slip over somehow a lot lately so i like the idea of mia and under teased cause i just dont see 49 points in this gm and think fish can certainly play with a td at worst..

2dabank everything you say there makes sense, but i just keep thinking that if this game were on a sunday, nobody would be playing it either way. its just a pretty uninteresting matchup where either team could win if the sticks fall their way. no play for me, with a slight lean towards cincy bc i think they are an upper tier team in the NFL but no real feel.

Fish won't have a problem running the ball tonight if Maualuga is out :)

Ray Mal is certainly a good run defender but don't get ahead of yourself bc the bengals still have a solid D line and a beast in the middle in Vontez so not sure missing Ray has the impact you speak of.

do the bungals have any other injury issues on D?

Ray is questionable
Hall is out

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports Dolphins RT Jonathan Martin has "gone AWOL from the team the last couple days."

Per Glazer, Martin had an incident in the team cafeteria this week when teammates jokingly said they wouldn't sit at a table with him. Martin reportedly "flipped out, smashed a food tray on the ground, took off, and they haven’t seen him since." Glazer adds that Martin has entered a treatment facility, though it's unclear what kind of treatment he's seeking. The Dolphins have listed him as doubtful for Thursday night against the Bengals. Tyson Clabo has been reinserted into the lineup at right tackle. It's unclear how long Martin will be away. The Miami offensive line is in shambles.

2dabank everything you say there makes sense, but i just keep thinking that if this game were on a sunday, nobody would be playing it either way. its just a pretty uninteresting matchup where either team could win if the sticks fall their way. no play for me, with a slight lean towards cincy bc i think they are an upper tier team in the NFL but no real feel.

i agree that it a gm that could go either way and id almost certainly pass on a side if it was sunday,, do think i would like under if it was sunday maybe more so the way primetime gms have went for the most part.. actually have come to like under more than anything else here just hate playing totals under 44 these days, think teasing phins is relatively safe and feel much better teasing these lower totals up as usually it only one little bs thing that gets me when they do get over the number.. still torn on whether id be better off just playing the under straight where it sits or teasing it up with fish?

Fish won't have a problem running the ball tonight if Maualuga is out :)

i think you have little more faith in their run gm than i do, granted it has been better but against bills and a pats team that giving up a buck fifty to everyone since their interior being decimated with injury, with or w/o mal i still think cincy rush defense better than those teams.. you prob know the goings on of the fish more than me, any truth to the talk they starting to implode from within? i wish i could trust their run gm cause that would make this under a really easy play..

Thursday Night Football

Cincinnati @ Miami

Ryan Tannehill will enter this game four days removed from absorbing six sacks and eight hits in a Week 8 loss to New England. Tannehill is on pace to take 74 sacks, two shy of David Carr's record, set back in 2002 with the expansion Texans. Indeed, Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland has surrounded his franchise quarterback with expansion-level pass protection that will likely be exposed (again) in Week 9 by a ferocious Bengals D-Line capable of dominating games. On pace for an underwhelming 26:21 TD-to-INT ratio and 17th in the league in passing yards, Tannehill is a low-end QB2 against Cincinnati's top-11 pass defense. ... Tannehill's target distribution since Miami's Week 6 bye: Mike Wallace 20, Brian Hartline 17, Charles Clay 11, Brandon Gibson 10, Rishard Matthews 7, Lamar Miller 6, Daniel Thomas 2. ... Wallace has a theoretically favorable matchup versus the Bengals' Leon Hall-less secondary, but has looked like a genuinely bad signing by Ireland to this point. Pro Football Focus has charged Wallace with seven drops -- third most among NFL wide receivers -- and he's on pace for 69 catches, 910 yards, and a career-low three touchdowns. Despite a $60 million contract, the Dolphins' coaching staff has made no real effort to treat Wallace as a featured receiver, and his route-running limitations show up when he isn't getting manufactured touches. Wallace is a boom-or-bust WR3 option on Thursday night.

Slot receiver Gibson ruptured his patellar tendon against the Pats. Matthews will experience the biggest playing-time bump, but Clay could be the primary fantasy beneficiary as Tannehill's hot-route safety valve when his protection inevitably collapses. The Bengals have been stingy versus tight ends, but Clay is a solid back-end TE1 coming off an eight-target game. ... Hartline teased fantasy owners with two early-season touchdowns, but has since settled into his usual chain-moving possession role. He's failed to clear 70 yards in six consecutive games and is scoreless in four straight. While he remains capable of a big game every now and then, Hartline simply lacks playmaking ability to sustain worthwhile fantasy stats. He's a low-upside WR3 versus Cincinnati. ... The Fins haven't been committed to a run game this year -- they're 30th in the NFL in rushing attempts despite the protection woes -- so it was borderline stunning to see playcaller Mike Sherman dial up a season-high 31 runs last week in Foxboro. Only time can tell whether that's an indication of game plans to come. (My money is against it.) View lead back Miller as a shaky flex play against the Bengals' No. 9 run defense, a unit that could be better with injured Rey Maualuga (MCL sprain) replaced by Vontaze Burfict at middle linebacker. The Bengals have permitted just two 20-plus-yard runs and three rushing touchdowns in eight games. ... Committee partner Thomas is averaging eight touches per game and is never a viable fantasy play.

Editor's Note: Rotoworld's partner FanDuel is hosting a one-week $300,000 Fantasy Football league for Week 9. It's $25 to join and first prize is $25,000. Starts Sunday at 1pm ET. Here's the link.

Andy Dalton is a streaky passer who just so happens to be on one of his rolls entering Thursday night's date with Miami's No. 19 pass defense. Dalton had two three-game stretches last year similar to the one he's currently on, registering an 8:3 TD-to-INT ratio in Weeks 2-4 and 9:0 mark in Weeks 10-12. Dalton's TD-to-INT ratio was 10:13 in his other ten games combined. Dalton is surrounded with enough talent and this matchup is favorable enough that he's worth serious consideration as a QB1 streamer and should be viewed as a locked-in starter in two-quarterback leagues against the Dolphins. Just don't think he's suddenly become a fantasy star. Dalton is a limited passer who lacks big-play arm talent and is an average athlete. ... Dalton's target distribution during his three-game hot stretch: A.J. Green 26, Marvin Jones 19, Giovani Bernard 15, Jermaine Gresham 12, Tyler Eifert and Mohamed Sanu 11, BenJarvus Green-Ellis 1. ... Green will tangle with stud LCB Brent Grimes on most of Thursday's snaps, but runs routes on both sides of the formation and will also see time against RCBs Dimitri Patterson and Nolan Carroll. Grimes doesn't shadow opposing No. 1 receivers. Green's matchup is unimposing and he's the No. 5 fantasy receiver over the past five weeks, catching balls from an on-fire quarterback.

Sanu (shoulder) hasn't practiced this week, potentially paving the way for Week 8 breakout star Jones to get the first-team nod at Miami. To this point, only Jones' playing time has been a concern. He's seeing the second most targets on the Bengals during Dalton's three-week roll, stringing together consecutive stat lines of 3-71-1, 4-57-1, and 8-122-4. Jones is a solid WR3 play at Miami, and especially so if Sanu is declared inactive. ... The Dolphins have allowed the second most fantasy points to tight ends, so neither Gresham nor Eifert has a difficult Week 9 matchup. The obstacle is their weekly target split, which has effectively prevented one from emerging. Eifert and Gresham have both failed to reach 70 yards in every game this year. They're high-risk, low-ceiling shots in the dark. ... It became crystal clear weeks ago that Bernard wasn't going to overtake Green-Ellis for feature back duties. This is a true timeshare, and Law Firm isn't going away. An inside-the-tackles grinder without big-play running talent or a passing-game role, Green-Ellis' weekly fantasy usefulness is always tied wholly to goal-line scores. He hurts you if he doesn't get one, and Green-Ellis has scored just once over the past five weeks. Bernard's touches have been down recently, but he's still the best fantasy bet in Cincy's backfield because coordinator Jay Gruden makes a consistent effort to get Bernard into space, where Gio is a playmaker. Bernard is a high-end flex play against Miami's bottom-dozen run defense, which coughed up 154 total yards and two touchdowns to Patriots running backs last Sunday. Green-Ellis is a TD-dependent flex.

Score Prediction: Bengals 23, Dolphins 17

think im gonna tease them with under, play under straight, and maybe take some of the ml.. why? i dunno.. i think their pass d can put ginger back in his place, problem is cincy should be able to run the ball and not sure i can say the same thing about fish.. think it gonna be close and pretty low scoring, both these teams been cashing in red zone trips at a really high clip, against a couple sound defenses kinda think they both regress a little in that department and again i expect quite a bit of rushing in this gm.. under prob best but these damn gms slip over somehow a lot lately so i like the idea of mia and under teased cause i just dont see 49 points in this gm and think fish can certainly play with a td at worst..

went ahead and teased fish +9 and under 49 and played 1st half under 21.5, not sure i particularly like the 1st half under any better than gm but figure if it goes over 1st half i can re-pop a better number in 2nd half depending how the gm is looking... gl everyone

Lotsa good unders on the board tho. Take your pic this week.

I love unders but with the way the rules are in this sport and how the cowboys and broncos games went over after looking completely dead last week I just don't think it's worth it

I love unders but with the way the rules are in this sport and how the cowboys and broncos games went over after looking completely dead last week I just don't think it's worth it

this has been my line of thought for the last year and a half

I prefer to just take the team total over for the team I think will win the game (and sprinkle both tt overs if I really like the over for the game) and it hasn't turned out so badly. Not too often does the team that wins the game not cover its tt but it obviously does at times..

A few primetime stats -

There's been 2 key factors behind primetime game total results thus far this season, expressed through the following questions:

What will the loser score?

Games in which the loser has scored 10 pts or less have gone 7-0 to Under.

Games in which the loser has scored at least 11 pts have gone 16-2 to Over.

Who will cover ATS: the Home or Road team?

Games which the home team covered are a dead even 7 & 7.

Games which the Road team covered have gone 9-2 to Over.

General total stats overall
1st half...: 12-12-1
2nd half..: 16-8-1 to Over
Full-game: 16-9 to Over

General total stats - Thursday NF
1st half...: 4-3-1 to Over
2nd half..: 5-3 to Over
Full-game: 6-2 to Over

The road team is only 4-4 SU, but 6-2 ATS on Thursday NF. The 2 home teams to defy the general road trend here scored 49 & 37 team points. Home teams failing to cover the spread have scored 13, 16, 11, 27, 22 & 13 point team totals.

The Favourite is 7-1 SU on TNF. The only SU Dog winner was, as hindsight now makes pretty clear, a false Dog: the Chiefs beating Philly in Week 3. That game, if played tonight, would obv. not be lined now as it was then.

---------

Some current lengthy statistical droughts for certain result-sequences in primetime...

- 21 games have gone by since a team won SU after trailing @half-time.

- No Dog has won a game SU after trailing at half-time (25 games).

but did anyone think those were going to go under?

the fact that they were so low scoring was just not what was supposed to happen

Line says WAS to me, but rg3 looks like he's 40% so I don't know how I can back them (and he got tossed around last week)

really wanna play over in that gm even tho i figure skins will run quite a bit, prob feel better about it if cousins started. who knows wtf rg3 gonna give from week to week but i agree line kinda makes me think skins be ok which to me means points cause rivers outta slice and dice this defense..

is it just me or do steelers look like a really good bet? pats giving up over a buck fifty on the ground since losing the interior of their defense, i like the way bell looks as a runner and think he gets over 100 easy and helps pit control this gm. pit holding qbs to a pretty low rating and doubt that changes much against a banged up brady who hasnt been on track with his guys all yr (although i think brady has carved lebue defenses up plenty not exactly the same guy right now).. getting a td in a gm i think pit could very well win seems like gravy to me..

is it just me or do steelers look like a really good bet? pats giving up over a buck fifty on the ground since losing the interior of their defense, i like the way bell looks as a runner and think he gets over 100 easy and helps pit control this gm. pit holding qbs to a pretty low rating and doubt that changes much against a banged up brady who hasnt been on track with his guys all yr (although i think brady has carved lebue defenses up plenty not exactly the same guy right now).. getting a td in a gm i think pit could very well win seems like gravy to me..

I like it a lot. New England has been begging to lose games all year but teams constantly do inexplicably stupid things and the Patriots magically win. No way it's sustainable.

Interesting to me that Jets have alternated wins and losses all season (currently playing off a loss - a bad one for that matter) and Rex has never lost the sibling rivalry. Believe I read 4-0 SU against his brother. NO consensus favorite of the day as well. Jets ML worth a look.

Best bet of the day has to be Car TT ov - they scored easily on Atl last season with less of an offense against a better Atl D. Atl has struggled to run the ball on Car last couple matchups and see no reason that changes as Car rush D is best it has been in recent years and Atl's rush O is really bad. They have had 2 bad offensive showings this year - vs Sea and Arz - and Atl's D is not anywhere close to those defenses. All the talk this week out of Atl has been about the offense - how the team is adjusting to Jackson's running style and should improve and how Roddy will help take double teams away from Gonzo - but that is not going to help Atl's horrible rush D and propensity to give up big plays, both of which feed right into Car's offensive philosophy.

Interesting to me that Jets have alternated wins and losses all season (currently playing off a loss - a bad one for that matter) and Rex has never lost the sibling rivalry. Believe I read 4-0 SU against his brother. NO consensus favorite of the day as well. Jets ML worth a look.

i def like them with the points..

2-0 SU and ATS as Raves' DC when Rob was DC of the Raiders (2005-2008). And 2-0 SU and 1-1 ATS as Jets' HC when Rob was DC of the Browns and Cowboys (2009-2013).

[TABLE="width: 256"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: xl65, width: 64"]2006[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65, width: 64"]2008[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65, width: 64"]2010[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65, width: 64"]2011[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl65"]BAL 28[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65"]BAL 29[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65"]NYJ 26[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65"]NYJ 27[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl65"]OAK 6[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65"]OAK 10[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65"]CLE 20[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65"]DAL 24[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

What a shitty card.

The saints are a matchup nightmare for the jets.

offensively sure but jets will kill saints defense at the point of attack and should be able to control this gm from the offensive side to a extent imo...

Rj Bell:

Falcons @ Panthers (-7.5) -- 1 p.m.

First time Panthers favored over Falcons since 2008. Most points Panthers favored over Falcons since 1997.

Panthers covered by 58 points combined the last three games

Teams Carolina have defeated this season: 6-24 SU combined

The next game after a loss: Atlanta 22-5 ATS last 27
Off a loss of 6 or more points: 16-1 ATS last 17

Away underdog off away loss: 64% since 2003

Falcons: least passing yards per game in the NFL

Cam Newton in one-score games: 2-14 SU in career

When line opened in May, Falcons favored by 1.
Vikings @ Cowboys (-10) -- 1 p.m.

Dallas 7-1 ATS this season

First time Cowboys double digit favorite in nearly two years (11/6/2011)

Cowboys have covered only 6 of 22 games as a home favorite

Underdog has covered 71% of Dallas games (40-16 ATS the last 4 seasons)

Tony Romo has won 21 of 25 games (SU) in November

Cowboys: 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] highest percentage of TDs scored in the Red Zone.

Cowboys +4 turnovers last week.
Historically, NFL teams +4 in turnovers covers 93% of the time with an average ATS margin of +15. Dallas was outgained by 350 yards last week, and underperformed ATS by 13 points. Outgained by a total of 650 yards on the season.

Dallas +9 turnover margin this season (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] best in NFL)

Play at New Orleans next week

Saints @ Jets (+6) -- 1 p.m.

Jets: 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] biggest home underdog for NYJ since 2007

Any underdog who lost by 30 or more last week: 61% since 1990

Jets: -12 turnover over margin worst in league (tied with Giants)

Saints have covered 13 of 15 regular season games under Payton

Saints: (Last 7 seasons): Saints have covered 62% of games at home
but less than half their games on the road

Saints as a road favorite: 6-12 ATS last 18 under Coach Payton

Saints: Give up most yards per rush attempt than any time in the NFL

Saints favored by 3.5 in this game before last week’s games (likely overreaction)
Titans @ Rams (+3) -- 1 p.m.

Jeff Fisher as a underdog: 88-57 ATS (61%) in his coaching career

First game against old team (Tennessee) for Coach Fischer

Road Favorite off a bye: 45-13 ATS (78% last 13 seasons)

Bye week may be extra helpful to injured QB Locker

Chiefs @ Bills (+3) -- 1 p.m.

Only 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] time in 25 years that an 8-0 team playing a team with a losing record is not favored by MORE than a field goal.

KC schedule strength in question: defeated only one team with a winning record (Cowboys)

ESPN has KC ranked #1 . . . Vegas has KC tied for 9[SUP]th[/SUP]

Chiefs worst in turnover margin last season. Best this season.

Bills last 33 games: lost against the spread by a NET 142 points combined

The week AFTER playing the Saints, teams are 46-81 ATS (36% since 2005)

Alex Smith last 34 games as a starter: 28-5-1 SU

KC defense gives up second smallest percentage of TDs in Red Zone.

Only two teams worse on offense (per play) than Bills (tied with Pats)

Buffalo 4-0 ATS at home.
Chargers @ Redskins (pk) -- 1 p.m.

Only 2 teams with better offense (per play) than San Diego
but Chargers have the worst defense (per play)

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] East Coast trip for San Diego this season – but Chargers are off bye.

Eagles @ Raiders (-2.5) – 4:05 p.m.

Raiders as a favorite: 5-19 ATS

Teams favored week after playing Mike Tomlin’s Steelers: 13-33 against the spread.

Eagles: No offensive TDs the last TWO games.

Eagles: 8[SUP]th[/SUP] best net yards per play in NFL

Only Jacksonville worse than Philly for percentage of TDs scored in the Red Zone.

Raiders: least passing yards per game in NFL.

Favorite in Raiders games: 11-4 ATS last 15
Buccaneers @ Seahawks (-16) – 4:05 p.m.

Biggest underdog for Tampa Bay since 1996

Second biggest favorite ever for Seattle (data back to 1978)

Seattle: 16-6 ATS overall last 22

Winless underdogs (week 6 or later): 62% ATS (since 1992)

Seattle (starting in 2005): 69% ATS at home (49-22-1)
On road during same period: 39% (29-45-1)
If simply play on at home, against on road: 94-51-2 (65% winners)

Tampa 20-12 ATS on the road

Bucs have lost 12 straight games when opponent has not rested starters

Seattle plays at Atlanta next week.

Seattle outgained 339 to 135 yards vs. Rams last week.
Ravens @ Browns (+2.5) -- 4:25 p.m

Ravens smallest favorite over Browns since 2008

Any Road Favorite off a bye: 45-13 ATS (78% last 13 seasons)

Off last 22 losses, Ravens won the next game 19 times (SU)

Baltimore 11-0 SU (9-2 ATS) under Harbaugh with greater than 7 days rest.

Flacco 11-0 SU vs. Browns in career

Only 4 teams worse than Baltimore (net yards per play)

Browns: Tied for best defense (per play)
Browns defense yielding 27 points per game last 4 games

Browns winless when QB Hoyer does not start.

Home team has covered 5 of 6 Ravens games

Baltimore defense gives up smallest percentage of TDs in Red Zone.

Baltimore: least yards per rushing attempt in NFL

Steelers @ Patriots (-6.5) -- 4:25 p.m.
Steelers have not been a bigger underdog with Big Ben at QB since 2007

New England has won 34 of 37 regular season home games (SU)

Pats outgained yardage-wise on season

Only two teams worse on offense (per play) than Pats (tied with Bills)
Only Tampa Bay has gained less yards per pass attempt than Patriots.

Any Away underdog off away loss: 64% since 2003

SNF: Colts @ Texans (+2.5) – 8:30 p.m.

Road Favorite off a bye: 45-13 ATS (78% last 13 seasons)

Based on Vegas power rankings: Colts have defeated the 3 best teams in the NFL (Denver, Seattle, San Fran)

Colts outgained each of last 3 games, by over 300 yards total

ESPN has Indy ranked 3[SUP]rd
[/SUP]Vegas has Indy ranked 11[SUP]th[/SUP]

Houston 6[SUP]th[/SUP] best per play differential
Colts: 17[SUP]th[/SUP] best per play differential

Houston: 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] worst turnover margin in NFL

Houston defense gives up second highest percentage of TDs in Red Zone.
Offensive scores only 29[SUP]th[/SUP] highest percentage of TDs in Red Zone.

Both teams off bye: may hurt hot Indy; may help cold Houston

Colts/Texans: Home team has covered 6 straight in series.

MNF: Bears @ Packers (-10.5) – 8:40 p.m.

Bears: only 4[SUP]th[/SUP] time greater than 10-point underdogs in last 10 seasons.

Bears: Covered only 1 game this season.

Home team in Packers games have covered 13 of 15 ATS

GB: 33-11 ATS in Division (12 of last 13 ATS)

Packers best offense in NFL per play
and best “yards per play” differential in NFL

Chicago: Giving up most yards per pass attempt in league

Male sheep dominant in every statistical phase against NFC super bowl favorite LW. Lose heartbreaker at home yet came out of game remarkably well physically. Mentally? Dunno. But ram defense should dominate again tw. Rams offense will feed suddenly emergent rb Zach Stacy against #24 run defense and pretty sure of moderate success there. If rams failures in the red zone continue, this could be easiest under on the board.

tee- I believe the total has moved from 39 to 40.5. I agree with you, on paper this looks like an under if there ever was one.

i played the 1st half under 20 and i also teased the number up to 45.5 (clearly went early on this) with panthers-1.5... i think absolute worst case on this total is tied at 20 and next points win but i made it much lower..

That Vikings total just keeps going up

i fucked up bad on that one, i knew i liked it thu but wasnt completely done so i waited.. feel like a ass cause saw a lot of value in over 47..now not so much and just cant play out of principle of screwing myself out of several points.. still think it prob gets over as i made it like 51-54 type range with some potential for more..

im all in on the square plays this week. KC and NO. Tuel is garbage and NYJ sucks. I don't care where the "sharp" money is going

Back