Week 9 B1G Thread ...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
First let me say...

*I am big-time under the weather, like brutal so this will be somewhat short and sweet. It is also why it has taken this long to get a thread going.

Lets look back at last week in conference...

Iowa defense is good at stopping the run. Maryland is a running team. 23-0 Final. That was the keep it simple, stupid cap of the day. Sometimes it is right there in front of ya and you overthink things, right? Absolutely.

Illinois and Wisconsin pretty ho-hum. The exciting part was a brief white-out that coated Lovie Smith's beard even a more magical white.

I said the 'hold ya nose' play was Rutgers and it sure was. In fact, those beasts of the east almost won it on the field. The Cardiac Cats won't have anything easy, now will they? This was an ugly one with around 470 in combined offense. Was it the sandwich of all sandwiches? Absolutely.

Team value got up off their asses after that heartbreaking defeat and rolled Minnesota in Lincoln. Now... it becomes a fun November with this team. Will I bet them several times? Absolutely.

Purdue looked great. Ohio State simply has no defense this year due to injuries? Coaching? who the heck knows. It is bad. And now, they have not been able to run the football for awhile. Ohio State has beaten one team over .500 this year. ONE. And that was a team that they were trailing by 13 points in the 4th quarter. Meanwhile the Boilers just were having fun out there. Great win for that school and their fans.

Michigan went into East Lansing and controlled the game. Even mother nature couldn't do her trick. The fun thing about this game is how the offensive line controlled the 4th quarter. We stated for almost months now that Michigan needed to treat this as a true rival and they did and that is how you take control of the state for what should be quite sometime. I feel bad for Felton Davis. He seems to be a good kid and was one helluva receiver. Non-contact injuries are hard to take.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, on to this week...

I dunno about you but 6.5 points is too much for Wisconsin to be laying on the road to the Cats. Now, this has been a LONG stretch of tough games for Northwestern so the tank could be drying up but this feels like a pretty tight game they can win on the field. You would have the backdoor in play as well. Interesting noon match here.

Penn State is hosting the Hawkeyes. Last year was an absolute dogfight. The Lions are 6.5/54 currently. Both those numbers seems a bit high to myself. On a neutral right now, I would have this game damn near a pick'em. I think this is another dogfight like last year. Early prediction is 26-24 Iowa.

Purdue is catching 2.5 and 50.5 as of this writing at East Lansing. Here is the thing this week, you will start hearing more and more about Michigan State injuries. Some are true, some are not. They have been complaining about injuries for 4-5 years now. You know how you counteract that? Depth. They don't not have depth because they do not recruit great and have so many guys that get kicked off the team due to legal issues. It will take them a solid 2-3 deep recruiting classes to be anywhere near the level they were 5 years ago. So, lets talk Lewerke. It is in my estimation he has been banged up for awhile. That is pure speculation. So, he was awful last week, obviously. Half of his throws were out of bounds it seemed like. So, after the game...ever the 'truthteller' (loud ass snicker) here is what was said about Brian Lewerke...

Dantonio said Lewerke did no practice all week (then started him in the game)

Warner (OC) said he practiced all week.

Lewerke quote
"Uhhh...I think coach d said I did not practice at all"

So, who do you believe? Good question. So...as far as capping this game it really is one of the great outliers and some of the other injuries as well.

Purdue meanwhile comes in high as a kite. This is a noon game in a dreary stadium (cold, team just lost their big game). This is not the best situation for them. Although, I feel their offense should be able to create opportunities against the Michigan State defense. Tough game here to be honest. In the old days, Sparty would roll over and die in this instance. We shall see this week.

I have nothing really to say about Bethune-Cookman and Nebraska. I did hear Alabama was trying to schedule Bethune in 2024 for November though.

Oh yeah, Illinois and Maryland. Lots of running plays to be had by all. Should be a good one! Will I watch it? Absolutely.... not.

Michigan vs BYE. Bye may have more yards than Sparty did.

Ohio State vs BYE. Urban already forgot about it.

Rutgers vs BYE. Bye -3.5

More to come later in the week!

-Wild wild west shaping up to be fun. Who ya got coming out?

-Many Michigan State fans are already discussing if losing to Ohio State is better since wining could perhaps help clinch East for Michigan.

-How many bowl teams does the conference get?

-Biggest surprise in conference this season?

Last year PSU was a dog fight in Kinnick. Big diff. Jewell had the game of his life. Question is when PSU regains its motivation. They could have very easily lost to Indiana

That is for next week but for capping ahead purposes. He remembers last year. He isn't happy about it. He's prolly chewing on a shoe right this instance thinking about it.

Iowa at PSU

The PSU passing game was much more effective last year. Maybe teams were overly focused on Barkley but in any event, Brown faces a much weaker offensive football team this year.

The total in that game is way too high. Iowa is likely a top ten slow pace team.

Fondy at NW

NW was likely looking ahead and resting after their early season schedule. Then they had to actually work but they did answer that bell.

NW has been starting a lot of games slow this year since the Purdue game. I think it is important whenever you play Wisconsin to start ok or else Wisconsin gets to dictate the game. They seem to have some issues when they feel pressured to score, meaning they seem more susceptible to pressing and committing turnovers.

Illy at Maryland
Tough game. That was a pretty disgraceful performance by terps offense last week. And their run defense looked vulnerable against what had been a not so Bueno iowa rushing offense prior which makes me think Illinois can do something on the ground. I generally like home team bounce back spots against bad teams but something feels wrong here. Total is tough because both teams rate to run more than throw and there are a lot of question marks about each offense and each defense ability to stop the opposing run.

Purdue at MSU

Without Davis making great plays on balls that Lewerke just gives him a chance at, I cannot find what this MSU team has to offer offensively. I think the defense has proven itself at this point as actually good. Tough spot for both teams in my estimation but at this point in the season, I prefer to take my chances with the team moving in the right direction than with the disappointed teams. Just looking at the two teams it looks like Purdue has the big play makers that could be the difference. With that said, not sure yet what the proper line is yet.

Last year PSU was a dog fight in Kinnick. Big diff. Jewell had the game of his life. Question is when PSU regains its motivation. They could have very easily lost to Indiana

You have to adjust the line 3 points in favor of Penn State just for the idiotic in-game coaching decisions Franklin is bound to make.

Give me the Hawkeyes,

Last edited:
Massive swing game with Wisky-NW. You could almost argue it's a lose and go home game in the B1G west when you consider tie breakers. As a Purdue fan and future ticket holder I'll be cheering on Bucky knowing Purdue controls their destiny at home vs Wisky & Iowa the next few weeks.

I expect an ugly dog fight in East Lansing but I'm optimistic that Purdue can make Sparty one dimensional through the air and also optimistic that Sparty won't make Purdue pay for it. The danger is big plays/turnovers for TDs/special teams in an early morning cold one. Anything can happen here but I'll trust in the team in better form with enough weapons to get 20+ points on the board here which should be enough to escape with a W.

Oh....and NW and Purdue are giant PSU fans down the stretch. They get Iowa at home and Wisky at home a couple weeks later. Penn St sweeping those will put Purdue and NW in prime position to steal this thing.

I just got down on Iowa with the line move back up to 6.5, bought the hook to 7. I honestly dont see how Iowa doesnt win the game SU so I will probably dabble on the ML as well. I believe two starting PSU WR's very questionable and #9 hasnt had any chemistry with them anyway. If MSU got in their ass in HV, imagine what Iowa and that DL will do. PSU may win, but it will be a battle and no Saquon to bail them out this year. Give me a more disciplined team with better trench players who seem to be trending in the right direction while PSU seems to be fading. PSU doesnt tackle very well so that should come in to play here as well. Plus, you have Mr Peanut always ready to blow the game and freeze under pressure. Weather looks cold and rainy, perfect for Iowa. Michigan look ahead possibly for PSU. I've got revenge for Hawkeyes too after last years last second loss. Iowa seems to have one of these mediocre teams just be a bit better than mediocre every few years when the conference is down and have a 10 or 11 win season, this could be it.

Could be my biggest bet of the year.

Michigan St fined 10,000 for last Saturday. Both coaches and Bush reprimanded. Case closed.

Glad that's all settled and done with properly. I'll have some updated thoughts on this week's card later tonight.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...ncussion-could-miss-game-saturday/1758047002/

Alex Hornibrook going through concussion protocol, could miss Northwestern game

MADISON – Jack Coan’s last game action at Wisconsin came in the 2017 regular-season finale at Minnesota.

That could change Saturday when UW (5-2, 3-1 Big Ten) faces host Northwestern (4-3, 4-1) because starter Alex Hornibrook is going through the concussion protocol and his status for the key Big Ten game is uncertain.

UW coach Paul Chryst acknowledged on his radio show Thursday night that Coan and backup Danny Vanden Boom are ready to play Saturday if needed.

"Jack and Danny have got great purpose and they both have a vision of what they want to be," he said on his radio show. "So they are really sponges in the classroom...

"Should we need them I feel confident with both."

UW did not list Hornibrook on the team’s injury report Thursday, and he was seen doing conditioning work after the team's light workout. Conditioning work is part of the protocol for players who suffer concussions.

Hornibrook has started all seven games for UW. Vanden Boom has gotten late work in two games.

"Jack has taken a ton of reps with our ones and our twos," Chryst said on his radio show, "because we always knew that if something were to happen (to Hornibrook), he would be the next one to go in. He would be the one to start or to finish out a game if it is in the balance."

Coan appeared in six games as a freshman in 2017 and completed all five of his passes, for 36 yards.

Chryst, speaking to reporters after practice Thursday, commented on Coan’s patience despite sitting out so far this season.

“I think he has been great,” Chryst said. “We’ll talk about it weekly where we’re at with it. I think he has been purposeful in his work and preparation in practice.

“I think he is enjoying and appreciating the opportunity to truly keep learning.

“When you’re a freshman you’re going through a lot of stuff. …Now he has taken one lap around the track. I’ve been pleased with the way he has handled it.”

Hornibrook suffered a concussion as a redshirt freshman in 2016 in the regular-season finale against Minnesota. He did not play in the Big Ten title game, a 38-31 loss to Penn State, and came off the bench in the Cotton Bowl.

Bart Houston started UW's final two games that season. He completed 16 of 21 passes for 174 yards in the loss to Penn State and hit 11 of 12 attempts for 159 yards in a 24-16 victory over Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl.

Hornibrook was 2 of 2 for 19 yards and a touchdown in the Cotton Bowl.

Chryst believes Coan is a better player today than he was last season despite the fact he has not played in a game this season.

“It has been significant, as it should be," he said on his radio show when asked about Coan's development. "You’re talking about a guy in his first year of college football and now his second lap around the track.

"I think Jack has done a great job in the spring and summer and in fall camp."

Secondary update
UW defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard will be shuffling the secondary again this week.

Cornerback Deron Harrell, who started the last four games, suffered a leg injury during practice Wednesday and is out this week.

"I liked where he was going," Chryst said. "He's got to get back healthy."

Safety Scott Nelson (leg) is out and will miss his second consecutive game.

Senior safety D'Cota Dixon, whose right ankle was taped heavily Thursday, is questionable. Dixon was injured in UW's victory over Nebraska and did not play against Michigan or Illinois.

Freshman safety Reggie Pearson (leg), who has practiced this week, has been cleared to play.

Lines really differ on Wisconsin game. I saw a 7 earlier in the week (think Tuesday night when I was putting in G1 WS), now I have a +4, +4.5, and +6 -105

Hit the +6 semi-heavy

Lines really differ on Wisconsin game. I saw a 7 earlier in the week (think Tuesday night when I was putting in G1 WS), now I have a +4, +4.5, and +6 -105

Hit the +6 semi-heavy
Went from 6 to 4.5 around mid day today just like that.

Thursday is release day/etc.

All I can think of.

Just think...that guy failed to beat out Hornibrook for the starting job. But then again, somehow Ian Book failed to beat out Wimbush

Just think... the guy who started every game in 2017, threw four TDs in the Orange Bowl, and was a Davey O'Brien preseason watch list beat out the guy who has never started a college game. With that type of analysis you'd fit in well at blankets, but you're probably too busy deny the holocaust happened or stating African Americans shouldn't vote on twitter.

Just think... the guy who started every game in 2017, threw four TDs in the Orange Bowl, and was a Davey O'Brien preseason watch list beat out the guy who has never started a college game. With that type of analysis you'd fit in well at blankets, but you're probably too busy deny the holocaust happened or stating African Americans shouldn't vote on twitter.

I mean, there is the fact that Miami totally fizzled out at the end of the year, that its pass defense made just about every opposing quarterback look phenomenal. You could have looked at that.
But if you think i've done either of those two things (which I haven't and actually haven't come close to doing) I wouldn't expect you to have looked for a half-second into Miami's pass defense/Miami at the end of the year.

Yeah, gonna stick to my opinions that Hornibrook sucks, the Holocaust happened, and blacks are fully entitled to vote lol :) And not resort to making baseless personal attacks when I can't depend my viewpoint in college football. Really low!

Would also like to say that I troll on twitter all the time. Meaning that I contradict myself all the time...cause it's the fucking internet. So you can make me out to whatever you want me to be depending on your preconception of me. I could be a hardcore liberal or a conservative, a Bortles supporter, a Bortles hater, who knows. You ask anybody who knows me, they know I don't do either.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...ncussion-could-miss-game-saturday/1758047002/

Alex Hornibrook going through concussion protocol, could miss Northwestern game

MADISON – Jack Coan’s last game action at Wisconsin came in the 2017 regular-season finale at Minnesota.

That could change Saturday when UW (5-2, 3-1 Big Ten) faces host Northwestern (4-3, 4-1) because starter Alex Hornibrook is going through the concussion protocol and his status for the key Big Ten game is uncertain.

UW coach Paul Chryst acknowledged on his radio show Thursday night that Coan and backup Danny Vanden Boom are ready to play Saturday if needed.

"Jack and Danny have got great purpose and they both have a vision of what they want to be," he said on his radio show. "So they are really sponges in the classroom...

"Should we need them I feel confident with both."

UW did not list Hornibrook on the team’s injury report Thursday, and he was seen doing conditioning work after the team's light workout. Conditioning work is part of the protocol for players who suffer concussions.

Hornibrook has started all seven games for UW. Vanden Boom has gotten late work in two games.

"Jack has taken a ton of reps with our ones and our twos," Chryst said on his radio show, "because we always knew that if something were to happen (to Hornibrook), he would be the next one to go in. He would be the one to start or to finish out a game if it is in the balance."

Coan appeared in six games as a freshman in 2017 and completed all five of his passes, for 36 yards.

Chryst, speaking to reporters after practice Thursday, commented on Coan’s patience despite sitting out so far this season.

“I think he has been great,” Chryst said. “We’ll talk about it weekly where we’re at with it. I think he has been purposeful in his work and preparation in practice.

“I think he is enjoying and appreciating the opportunity to truly keep learning.

“When you’re a freshman you’re going through a lot of stuff. …Now he has taken one lap around the track. I’ve been pleased with the way he has handled it.”

Hornibrook suffered a concussion as a redshirt freshman in 2016 in the regular-season finale against Minnesota. He did not play in the Big Ten title game, a 38-31 loss to Penn State, and came off the bench in the Cotton Bowl.

Bart Houston started UW's final two games that season. He completed 16 of 21 passes for 174 yards in the loss to Penn State and hit 11 of 12 attempts for 159 yards in a 24-16 victory over Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl.

Hornibrook was 2 of 2 for 19 yards and a touchdown in the Cotton Bowl.

Chryst believes Coan is a better player today than he was last season despite the fact he has not played in a game this season.

“It has been significant, as it should be," he said on his radio show when asked about Coan's development. "You’re talking about a guy in his first year of college football and now his second lap around the track.

"I think Jack has done a great job in the spring and summer and in fall camp."

Secondary update
UW defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard will be shuffling the secondary again this week.

Cornerback Deron Harrell, who started the last four games, suffered a leg injury during practice Wednesday and is out this week.

"I liked where he was going," Chryst said. "He's got to get back healthy."

Safety Scott Nelson (leg) is out and will miss his second consecutive game.

Senior safety D'Cota Dixon, whose right ankle was taped heavily Thursday, is questionable. Dixon was injured in UW's victory over Nebraska and did not play against Michigan or Illinois.

Freshman safety Reggie Pearson (leg), who has practiced this week, has been cleared to play.
Crap i have a northweatern ticket

That‘d be Matt Allen. Brian‘s brother. The backup already got some experience earlier in the season cause of Matt‘s struggles in performance (not injury-related)

MSU backup punter injured as well idk who will even punt?!

MSU will be without these starters vs. Purdue:

-Brian Lewerke
-Cody White
-Felton Davis III
-Josiah Scott
-Josh Butler
-David Beedle
-Matt Allen
-Jake Hartbarger
-Tyler Hunt

Brushing up on some numbers, came across this surprising one.

Not only does Purdue have the best RZ D in the B1G allowing only 73% scores on 26 trips...they allow the fewest TDs in the league as well. Just 11 of 26 trips resulted in opponent TDs = 42%. NW would be next at 45%, then Wisc & Mich St allow 50%. For reference Michigan allows 73% TDs, but opp have only gotten into the RZ a league low 15x. IND allows TDs 77% of the time.

While SK brushing, I'm polishing up my Iowa bet tonight, live from Soaring Eagle Casino, taking a break from craps table to watch end of this WS. I'm buzzed, I'm rambling...

43 and 80% chance of rain in HV tomorrow I see. Me thinks this won't help PSU issues on O and with WR drops, injuries. PSU could be breaking in some new freshman WRs, not ideal weather or defense to do that. If Iowa can just limit the run game, they win, possibly in convincing fashion. PSU shaky freshman K as well now gets to deal with elements.

I have Iowa 2 different ways at 6 and 7, teased with UGA and Iowa ML at +205.

I'm even debating wearing some Hayden Frye son glasses for the game but realized JoePa wore tinted glasses too. At least I think Hayden wore them??

I'll be racing home tomorrow to watch $$ grow on my pine trees....at least I hope. 20-16 Iowa is my wild, rambling, gambling, fumbling, bumbling, stumbling guess. And I think I'm being overly nice to PSU being that close.

All else fails.....James Franklin
Purdue tempting AF now, but nobody likes wants Sparty, probably when they win. As Meek Mill would say, "fuck em"

I'll log off now, war damn Hawkeyes cuz I think it's close to an eagle and I don't know they're sayings.

BOL on your bets boys.

Cause PSU will have to play defense now :)
Only thing that scares me tbh, Iowa should bully them on both sides of the ball. And I rarely bet totals, but maybe bet unders once a millennium in any sport. It'll be a defensive battle with special teams tds, defensive scores and turnovers so deep in their own end that O gets short field. Never fails when I bet under, but this bet can lose so long as Hawk covers anyways.

Only thing that scares me tbh, Iowa should bully them on both sides of the ball. And I rarely bet totals, but maybe bet unders once a millennium in any sport. It'll be a defensive battle with special teams tds, defensive scores and turnovers so deep in their own end that O gets short field. Never fails when I bet under

So much trust in Iowa outside Kinnick?

So much trust in Iowa outside Kinnick?
Defense travels, PSU seems exposed/demoralized. Iowa 2x Sparty that play same type of style, Sparty went in and won. PSU in their heads, coaches stressing etc. this is a 7-5, 8-4 PSU team, Iowa great chance to rep West v Michigan. Iowa good history in HV, sans 2 years ago. Won't be 110k there with weather and team failures.

Defense travels, PSU seems exposed/demoralized. Iowa 2x Sparty that play same type of style, Sparty went in and won. PSU in their heads, coaches stressing etc. this is a 7-5, 8-4 PSU team, Iowa great chance to rep West v Michigan. Iowa good history in HV, sans 2 years ago. Won't be 110k there with weather and team failures.

Gotta love an explanation with some French in it :)

Not a lot to add...

Never got a final MSU injury list they will be down a few guys it looks like.

I guess the punter is out. That is a big problem.

Line is strange, figured it would cross 0 at some point.

Iowa, still think they are a good play.

The number is gone to take NW. Game feels weird now.

Really never had a true opinion of the Friday night game at all.

As I said, lots of running in Illinois n Maryland.

-----------------------------------------

Looks like small chances of rain showers throughout Purdue-MSU. Nothing significant. No crazy winds.

GL Saturday.

Florida is my personal big play, grabbed early in week. I think they might win outright.

I'll be sparse this weekend...enjoy!

Back