Week 8 What Are We Learning

Harbaugh? Guy is a disaster most big games. Given how well Michigan recruits, not sure he’s even top 10
i agree with that till past 2 years. ....guess kind of combine career weighted with most recent....i would of had jimbo up there...for career ferentz might be a top 10 coach. But for what he did at stanford/what stanford is now and what harbaugh has done last 2 years re-shaping that team more to his stanford days of pounding the rock and defense is one of the most impressive things i've seen especially in light of the rumors he wanted out to go to nfl and people had written him off as a good coach.

wittingham is a up there , mark stoops., gundy........riley/day still have something to prove to me....not a deep list of elite coaches

I had OSU -28 -120 so watched the game. Probably the most misleading score of the weekend. Iowa's defense did a great job shutting down OSU offense - Iowa's offense just kept giving it back to OSU (6 TO, 1 Pick 6, 1 pick inside Iowa 20). Finally Iowa defense just wore out and probably just mentally checked out. You can only take so much. OSU has yet to face an Offense with a pulse - ND, Iowa, Wisc. Rutgers, MSU, Toledo. And good D's like ND, Iowa have kept their O in check. Not that Michigan has been any great thing either, but I'm liking my Michigan to win B10 at 8-1 more and more. I'll still hedge vs. OSU if they are both undefeated and then let ride in Championship vs. West winner. But I think that hedge will get cheaper

I missed it after the Alabama game, but heard on a podcast that Saban told Holly Rowe that Bryce Young hasn't practiced since the week leading up to the Arkansas game and gets treatment for his shoulder during the games. Might explain a little why the timing has been off the last 2 games. Bye week comes at a good time. Also good to see Eli Ricks on the field. Looks like he's finally been healthy enough to practice and learn the playbook. Good upgrade to the pass defense

I looked in on that game a few times...seemed like very conservative, to the extent of predictable, run plays called on critical downs?
You are correct. Started a freshman because Morgan was hurt, but I’m certain that was not a game time decision and they had a full week to prepare. Zero creativity. I suspect hubris

What about Ohio State taking knees at the end of the 2Q following an Iowa punt? I think there was 1.5 minutes left and OSU had 1 timeout left. They were maybe at their own 30? Their O hadn't been very good in the 1H so I just assume the staff didn't want to make a mistake, which is ok, but you're the Ohio State O and you don't try to go on a 2min drive at home there? Lots of respect for Iowa D in that situation, or lack of trust of their QB?

I’m pretty sure there was under 40 seconds left. I had them in the first half and was hoping they would try to get a FG, but they took one knee and ran off so there wasn’t much time left at all. I also don’t think they had a timeout, but not sure on that.

I’m pretty sure there was under 40 seconds left. I had them in the first half and was hoping they would try to get a FG, but they took one knee and ran off so there wasn’t much time left at all. I also don’t think they had a timeout, but not sure on that.
I think youre right. Im pretty sure there was like 38 secs left when they started that drive.

The Ivy League has real football players. I watched some of the Harvard/Princeton game the other night and those teams are filled with big, fast, tough football players. I enjoyed watching them.

The Ivy League likes to promote the idea, "oh, we don't give football scholarships," and technically they don't, but the coaches don't just sit around all off-season and then hold volunteer tryouts. They recruit just like all the other schools.

The ideal Ivy recruit is a kid who is a good player, maybe not quite good enough or not quite big enough or fast enough for a P-5 school, who comes from a lower or middle income family and can qualify academically AND financially. If you are good enough to play you get admission, plus academic scholarships all the way up to 100% of the cost depending on your family income.

Now, with Affirmative Action rife in the league, you don't even have to meet the high academic standards most students have to meet

They recruit just as hard as the service academies and compete for a lot of the same players. The level of football is high FCS. Holy Cross is undefeated and ranked 8th in FCS rankings this year. Harvard played them and lost by 8 points, but Harvard is only about the fourth or fifth best team in the Ivy League and lost to Princeton--tied for lead in the Ivy League--by 27.

They ran a list of NFL players from the Ivy League and it was about the same as from the top FCS schools and more than a lot of the Group of Five schools. Harvard has four currently in the league, tied with JMU and more than almost all the ACC conference schools. More than some Power 5 schools for that matter. The average number of Ivy league players in the NFL in any given year is around 15 or so.

Last edited:
@jedi ninja and @CPA-hole

You are both correct. For some reason I thought there was 1:41, but there must've been when Iowa still had the ball and punted yet. I watch so many games at once, it is actually difficult to remember a lot. I was trying to make some point about how the coaches maybe didn't trust Stroud given the O had some issues vs Iowa D in the 1H, but it appears I misremembered how much time was left. :40 and I am pretty sure they had one time out, the little white dot next to their team name and score, but that little time in their own territory, there isn't anything wrong with going to the locker room in that situation.

@TahoeLegend

Nice pickup, they did talk about the guys in the NFL who come out of the Ivy League. How about that guy Jack Ford, I wish he had a podcast and I could just soak up all the Ivy stories that guy has. I have made a big concerted effort to follow the Ivy League this year, problem is I just can't devote the time to it that I really wanted to with all the other games. My favorite thing about ESPN is that they put those Friday night games on and that they have almost all the others weekly on the + streaming platform (a random one or two vs non-con won't be, but they can be found elsewhere).

Nobody has the history and the tradition the Ivy League does, the history of the sport is the Ivy League, period.

Problem is the gameday atmosphere and fan support is lacking. It's too bad, because a crowd that is really into a game can impact it for the home team and lead to a comeback or help sustain an effort out of the players plus it adds to the viewing experience seeing and hearing all of it. But in the Ivy League, we see empty seats is about all - in most games. Sometimes some stadiums have ok crowds.

Not sure if you've ever watched The Game Tahoe, Harvard-Yale. Now that is one where the stadiums get sold out for, it's obviously a big deal. I think GameDay broadcast from it years ago. It's hosted by Harvard for the first time in like 5 years due to some weird things like stadium renovations (they played in Fenway I think instead that year) and covid (Ivy canceled football). So that is quite a big deal for their fans.

Now, with Affirmative Action rife in the league, you don't even have to meet the high academic standards most students have to meet
I don't think you understand what Affirmative Action is.

"The Academic Index (AI) is used by Ivy League schools to ensure that athletes are not admitted with significantly lower academic qualifications than the general student population. The index is based on GPA, SAT/ACT tests scores, and SAT Subject test scores. All athletes must have at least a 176 to play at any of the “Ancient Eight” schools."

A few thoughts:

Texas - Sarkisian is obviously taking a lot of heat for not benching Ewers but I was ok with it despite thinking a switch probably allows them to win relatively easily. The reason is that Texas still had possibilities at reaching the playoffs so long as they had the "we didn't have Ewers" argument to go along with running the table. Without that argument, they don't stand a chance and you cannot make that argument if you bench him imo. So would Card have given them a better chance to win this past Saturday with Ewers obviously not himself? Absolutely. I just think it was worth the risk for the ultimate goal. It didn't work out, obviously but I think there was decent cause to keep him despite it increasing the chances of losing. I don't blame the officiating for that game but it appears the punishment for leaving the league will be quite high.

BYU is probably the most disappointing team of the season.

Looking at the condensed stats of last week.

Mississippi State outgains Alabama 293-290, but loses 6-30? Bama opened with two long scoring drives for TD, then a short field TD after MSU was stopped 4th-1 at their own 29. 21-0 Bama 8 min to go in the 2nd Q, that would be the last TD Alabama would score the rest of the game. Their next drive produced a FG. Alabama barely crossed midfield on average their next 4 possessions. Then they had a 6p 2y possession after a MSU muffed punt for a FG and later drove for a third FG. 76 of MSU's yards were on their final possession. There was only one turnover.

Missouri only outgained Vanderbilt 308-299. Mizzou lost 4 TOs (net -3). Vandy's INT was in the EZ just before HT. Vandy also missed 2 FGs and Mizzou missed 1. Vandy wasn't able to score points on sustained offensive possessions, they scored on D after a fumble recovery inside the M05 and had a 1p 80y passing TD for their points.

Georgia State completed just 9 passes on 23 attempts while App State completed just 7 passes on 17 attempts. App St rushed for 404 to Ga State's 228

Old Dominion outgained Georgia Southern 446-415, but lost 23-28. Ga So actually led 21-10 3rd Q. ODU scored just 1 TD on 5 RZ trips and was also poor 25% on 3rd down, while Ga So was 2-for-2 on scoring TDs in the RZ and was better than 50% 3rd down. ODU missed 2 FGs too.

Marshall and James Madison combined for 8 TOs with JMU losing 5. Marshall converted 2 of those TOs into 10 pts off just 26y of offense. A bad snap or something on a Marshall punt set JMU up at the M17 which they got a TD out of and they led 12-2 (Marshall blk'd an xpt and returned it). JMU was 0-17 on 3rd downs! JMU had 12 3-and-outs! JMU starting QB Todd Centeio DNP and his backup Atkins was just 13-35-164-1-4 and he was sacked 7x.

Eastern Michigan did outgain Ball State 346-292, but Ball State had 3 critical TOs one that arguably cost them the game late. In the 1H they fumbled and threw an INT both in EM territory then with a 16-13 lead in the 4th Q, Ball St threw an INT at their own 28 which EM converted it into ultimately the game winning TD. Ball St's last possesion was a punt and EM killed the final 5+ minutes.

Toledo lost 6 turnvers (net -5), outgained Buffalo 447-398 but lost 27-34 at Buffalo. Toledo led 27-10 entering the 4th Q with UB driving. Bulls made it 27-17, UT was sacked and went 3-and-out punt, UB drove for TD to make it 27-24. UT then threw an INT at their own 43 which UB turned into a TD and the 31-27 lead 8min to go! UT was SOD at their own 46, but UB fumbled it back. With 4min left UT was INT'd again at the B40. Buffalo punted with :47 left. UT advanced to the B22, but on the final play of the game, UT's final pass was INT'd at the B02. Buffalo also had a 72y fumble ret TD in the 1H.

Bowling Green did outgain Central Michigan 354-306, but CM lost 4 TOs. Early in the game, CM started to rotate their QBs. RB Nichols is injured and I think they suffered some additional RB injuries in this game.

Akron outgained Kent State 492-455. Kent's starting QB DNP and it took Kent's O a bit to adjust. Akron led 10-0 and 17-14 before Kent took a 21-17 HT lead. Kent led by as many as 13 2H, but Zips cameback to only lose by 6. Akron threw INTs in Kent territory in each half.

In some categories Western Mich - Miami O appeared to be an even game (FD 21-21, TY 304-305). However, WM D got 7 sacks! While the WM O was just under 50% on 3rd down, MiaO converted just 2-of-13 3rd downs. Redhawks also only scored 1 TD on 3 RZ trips. WM did miss 2 FGs. There was 1 turnover in the game, a MiaO fumble in their own territory that WM converted to a FG.

ECU won 34-13, but only outgained UCF 458-426. UCF was -4 TOs

Memphis outgained Tulane 415-344. Most of those Memphis yards came in the 2H as Tigers went 3-and-ount on 4 of their first 5 possessions. Memphis also muffed a punt at their own 12 = Tulane TD and Tulane got a 90y punt return TD. Tulane led
21-0 end of 1st Q with just a 107-60 TY edge. Tulane dominated the 2nd Q 141-24 TY and led 35-0 HT. The final was 38-28.

Cincy won just 29-27 over SMU, but Bearcats had 379-259 TY edge. Cincy kicked 5 FGs from the SMU 13, 8, 34, 26 and 14 yard lines. They had one from the 26 blk'd that at the time would've put Cincy up 32-14. Instead it was 29-14 and SMU made a late push with a would-be failed 2pt try costing them the tie. SMU was just 2-of-15 3rd down, but 4-of-5 4th down. 181 of SMU's 259 yards came on their final 3 drives of the game.

Tulsa won just by 11 at Temple, but Tulsa had a 454-280 TY edge. Tulsa thew INTs on their first two possessions of the game, one Temple ret'd for a TD, so Temple led 10-0 with just 22 yards of offense 5 minutes into the game!

Liberty totally dominates BYU 41-14, 28-12 FD, 300-71 RY, 247-187 PY and 547-258 TY and Liberty was -2 TOs

UAB lost 4 TOs (net -3) in their 17-20 loss at WKU

UTSA had about a 150y edge on North Texas but had to score in the final seconds to get the W. In the 1H UTSA was SOD at the NT38 and missed a FG from the NT20 then later settled for a FG from the NT15. North Texas benefitted from an INT on the first series of the game for an early 3-0 lead. In the 2H UTSA got a short field TD after a NT INT. The HT score was just 6-3 in what was expected to be a high scoring game, the 2H delivered with 49 combined pts. There were 5 lead changes in the 4th Q, the final with just :15 left.

Texas State was held to -6y rushing as Southern Miss won 20-14 despite losing 3 TOs (-2 net).

Rice and LaTech went to OT with Rice winning after LT failed on their 2pt attempt in the bottom of the 1st OT. Rice had a 487-373 TY edge, but Owls lost 3 fumbles (-2 net TOs). Rice fumbled at the LT01 and fumbled a punt at their own 28. LT actually led by 10 on three occasions here, but Rice came back on 4 2H TDs on first 5 possessions. Rice led 35-27 late, but LT drove for TD and converted 2pt try to tie 35-35 with just :37 to go.

Wyoming had 529-217 TY edge over Utah State, won 28-14. Pokes had some drives stall around the USU 30 after 50+y drives that ended in FGs. One USU's only two TDs came off a muffed punt recovery at the W17. USU started tr fr QB who was their 4th string. Wyoming sacked him 6x.

Fresno had 510-138 TY edge over New Mexico!

Colorado State had a 386-157 TY edge, but needed a TD in the final minute to win 17-13. Hawaii led 13-3 HT - Hawaii had to kick FGs from teh C10 and the C07 while CSU was SOD at the H03 and the H33 in the 1H. CSU had another SOD in the 2H at the H10. Sustained drives were the theme, Hawaii had 4 1H possessions, CSU had just 3. Hawaii O never crossed midfield in the 2H.

Colorado lost 4 TOs (net -3) in the 9-42 loss at Oregon State. Two of their turnovers came in garbage time, a fumble at the O15 and an INT from the O10 into the EZ.

Oregon was aggressive in their win vs UCLA. The game was 3-3, then 10-10. Ducks went up 17-10 and recovered an onside kick and took that for a 24-10 lead as a major fork in the road in this game. It was 31-13 HT. UCLA made it 31-16 to open the 3rd Q, then the Ducks converted 4th-1 at their own 27 and 4th-1 at their own 38 on a drive that eventually put them up 38-16. As you can tell TDs vs FGs were a big factor in this game. UCLA was in the RZ 4x, only got 1 TD. Ducks scored 4 TDs on 5 RZ trips.

Washington drove to the Cal 23, Cal 18 and Cal 16 on their first 3 possessions but came away with just 6 pts. Cal on the ohter hand only advanced into UW territory on their 4th and final possession of the 1H, when they were sacked and taken out of FG range. Washington's first 3 drives of the 2H were 3 TDs, but Cal had found their O by this time. UW did get up by more than 1 score once in the 4th Q, Cal cut it back to 7. Their final drive was SOD at the W42.

There were 10 turnovers in the Duke-Miami game...8 by Miami. Van Dyke was injured on a sack in the 2nd Q and did not return.

Pitt outgained Louisville yet lost by 14 and were net -3 TOs

Virginia had a 411-202 TY edge at GT, but 4 TOs kept the score close, only won 16-9. GT lost 2 TOs themselves, ugly game. QB Sims for GT started, but left early with injury.

Clemson outgained Syracuse 461-291, but 4 TOs lost for Clemson (net -3) hurt them.

@TahoeLegend

Nice pickup, they did talk about the guys in the NFL who come out of the Ivy League. How about that guy Jack Ford, I wish he had a podcast and I could just soak up all the Ivy stories that guy has. I have made a big concerted effort to follow the Ivy League this year, problem is I just can't devote the time to it that I really wanted to with all the other games. My favorite thing about ESPN is that they put those Friday night games on and that they have almost all the others weekly on the + streaming platform (a random one or two vs non-con won't be, but they can be found elsewhere).

Nobody has the history and the tradition the Ivy League does, the history of the sport is the Ivy League, period.

Problem is the gameday atmosphere and fan support is lacking. It's too bad, because a crowd that is really into a game can impact it for the home team and lead to a comeback or help sustain an effort out of the players plus it adds to the viewing experience seeing and hearing all of it. But in the Ivy League, we see empty seats is about all - in most games. Sometimes some stadiums have ok crowds.

Not sure if you've ever watched The Game Tahoe, Harvard-Yale. Now that is one where the stadiums get sold out for, it's obviously a big deal. I think GameDay broadcast from it years ago. It's hosted by Harvard for the first time in like 5 years due to some weird things like stadium renovations (they played in Fenway I think instead that year) and covid (Ivy canceled football). So that is quite a big deal for their fans.
I've attended that game a few times and enjoyed it every time. No problem with crowds and enthusiasm for that game, but I've noticed the same thing you did on some of the TV games--stadiums half-filled.

Stanford his having the same problem this year . Looks like the stadium is half full at best, and that's the new stadium which is much smaller than the old classic Stanford Stadium. They just announced today they are giving free tickets to anyone who wants to attend the remaining home games

And Cal. Hippies don't really like football and they especially don't like losing football. Did anyone hear Marshawn Lynch's comments about the fans at the Cal game? He wants it to look like it did when he played there, well, this Cal ain't that Cal. He said on TV MF and shit about fans not turning out to the game. It didn't sound as harsh as it could've when somebody says MF and shit about empty stands, but he wasn't liking what he was seeing.

I think at the Ivy League, and I've only been learning Ivy football for about 1 year now, it seems to be that sports and especially football just isn't important. There isn't the rally around the football team, school spirit, let's go to the game it's a social outing. I actually read, I think it was some former Yale players or somewhere, but football players by the academic staff tend to actually be looked down upon. Like they aren't really there for the education, they are just there to play football - which couldn't be more false than it would be anywhere else. The ones that go there, sure they go there to play football, but they specifically choose to go there over other scholarship offers because of the Ivy degree that they get at the end of the day. And they are passing up free rides to have to pay the tuition at the Ivies. Football is just different at the Ivies now. I see pictures of back in the 70s and 60s and the places were packed. Not now.

Great documentary you've probably seen, Harvard Beats Yale 29-29. I like it a lot. I like nostalgia and story telling about rivalries and old timers. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

And Cal. Hippies don't really like football and they especially don't like losing football. Did anyone hear Marshawn Lynch's comments about the fans at the Cal game? He wants it to look like it did when he played there, well, this Cal ain't that Cal. He said on TV MF and shit about fans not turning out to the game. It didn't sound as harsh as it could've when somebody says MF and shit about empty stands, but he wasn't liking what he was seeing.

I think at the Ivy League, and I've only been learning Ivy football for about 1 year now, it seems to be that sports and especially football just isn't important. There isn't the rally around the football team, school spirit, let's go to the game it's a social outing. I actually read, I think it was some former Yale players or somewhere, but football players by the academic staff tend to actually be looked down upon. Like they aren't really there for the education, they are just there to play football - which couldn't be more false than it would be anywhere else. The ones that go there, sure they go there to play football, but they specifically choose to go there over other scholarship offers because of the Ivy degree that they get at the end of the day. And they are passing up free rides to have to pay the tuition at the Ivies. Football is just different at the Ivies now. I see pictures of back in the 70s and 60s and the places were packed. Not now.

Great documentary you've probably seen, Harvard Beats Yale 29-29. I like it a lot. I like nostalgia and story telling about rivalries and old timers. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

That’s a good read. You’ve probably heard of him as you follow the game. Outside of the rollercoaster his career has been, that’s not the 1st thing that comes to mind. I remember the Harvard offer specifically and told people at the time, “that kid needs to take that”….hard not to follow one’s own dream and he has had an interesting ride for sure.

Be tough it was my son though not to have swayed him one way…

That’s a good read. You’ve probably heard of him as you follow the game. Outside of the rollercoaster his career has been, that’s not the 1st thing that comes to mind. I remember the Harvard offer specifically and told people at the time, “that kid needs to take that”….hard not to follow one’s own dream and he has had an interesting ride for sure.

Be tough it was my son though not to have swayed him one way…

yeah he's the current Incarnate Word QB? I actually only heard of him this year because he's at the Word. I was going to ask you about him in a message actually. I'll read the link.

Whenever I heard the name Lindsey Scott all I hear in my head is the Georgia radio announcer saying Lindsey Scott like 5 times in the Florida game.

I see where he says he wasn't ready to be a QB out of high school, when he was choosing between Harvard and Tulane. Lots of people do it so it's not impossible, but so many huge life decisions and responsibilities all of a sudden out of high school. I know I wasn't mature enough, I almost wish that I could go back and make different decisions because now I'm more prepared and I could choose a different path and why and what it means. But like Scott, you don't want to change it because where you are, who you got and how you got here. I didn't know he transfered all that much, like Missouri. I just knew really LSU to some FCS to now Incarnate Word. That's a lot of living the college football life over 7 years.

A few thoughts:

Texas - Sarkisian is obviously taking a lot of heat for not benching Ewers but I was ok with it despite thinking a switch probably allows them to win relatively easily. The reason is that Texas still had possibilities at reaching the playoffs so long as they had the "we didn't have Ewers" argument to go along with running the table. Without that argument, they don't stand a chance and you cannot make that argument if you bench him imo. So would Card have given them a better chance to win this past Saturday with Ewers obviously not himself? Absolutely. I just think it was worth the risk for the ultimate goal. It didn't work out, obviously but I think there was decent cause to keep him despite it increasing the chances of losing. I don't blame the officiating for that game but it appears the punishment for leaving the league will be quite high.

I don't know about the FF angle. When you're a .500 coach, your QB is drowning and the team desperately needs to win the game, then you sub for Ewers and don't give it a second thought. You have a good backup QB who would have won the game. Sarkisian failed the team in not doing benching Ewers and that's just another big flag against him.

I really want the guy to do well but that was a major, confidence-eroding decision by Sarkisian on Saturday.

I don't know about the FF angle. When you're a .500 coach, your QB is drowning and the team desperately needs to win the game, then you sub for Ewers and don't give it a second thought. You have a good backup QB who would have won the game. Sarkisian failed the team in not doing benching Ewers and that's just another big flag against him.

I really want the guy to do well but that was a major, confidence-eroding decision by Sarkisian on Saturday.
I disagree but that is ok because I understand your point and agree that if he subs him out, Texas likely would have won.

Other than the fact he was high as all hell that pretty much the way Marshawn talks, I don’t think the “Mf’in and shit” was extra annoyance more so than some his favorite words, I can relate. Clearly disappointed in lack of turnout but the cussing wasn’t like extra anger. I’d love to see how many takes he has to do when doing a commercial or something, I’d bet there gotta be a bunch of wasted film with him dropping a f bomb or something, “cut! remember marshawn, we can’t say that”, marshawn responds “fuck, my bad”.

Joel klatt podcast on I think the Monday show talking bout the weekend was really good/interesting breaking down Ohio st and why he thinks they the best team in the country. So tough for me to evaluate them cause the schedule hasn’t been very good despite the fact it somehow rated the 13th strongest in country (I got no freaking clue how they came up with that number, who have they played?). Anyways, I think he makes some really good points about their defense and how it prob will continue getting better under Knowles, the guy has coached less talented groups into really good defenses (that me saying this part not him) and appears to be fixing what been their biggest problem under Day. We know how freaking good Day’s teams are on offense, that never a question but to finally have a defense that not only doesn’t hurt them by giving up drives but they play a style that should get one if not the best offenses in the county extra possessions, that scary.

I still think it tough to judge them overall cause really, who have they played? But we know the offense excellent now I think it fair to start thinking the defense gonna be a whole lot better than previous years when they do play in big games. They def could be the most complete of any the top teams.

I don’t like to say things like this but I feel like the pitt/Louisville game was fixed. The problem with that theory is I don’t think it was only the officials in on it, pit definitely helped as they gave away multiple scoring chances in the 1st half. Another hole in this theory would be for some reason they did call a few touching (roughing ) the passer calls against ville that were identical or less vicious than the hits pitt was putting on Cunningham while never getting called, maybe that was due to pitt garbage qb not leaving pocket while Cunningham running all over the place but while he behind the Los isn’t he still supposed to be a passer? I was glad they didn’t call them on some monster hits pitt laid on him but then they would turn around and throw one on ville for tapping the qb, that part was weird considering every other terrible ball besides those went ville way, including the game determining call where on 3rd and a lot ville wr caught a ball out of bounds and was somehow not overturned despite his foot clearly in the freaking white. I really dunno what the Fuck was going on that game but someone should be investigated! The whole game was strange, the officiating was god awful, and holy shit pitt qb Slovis sucks, he is seriously awful!

It’s like the better pitt run game gets the worse Slovis has gotten as the year has went. Early on I thought he played ok, even good at times. Nothing he did last week was even ok. The ints he threw in 1st half were like punts! You put pressure on that statue and he a freakin mess. Lucky for them they get unc this week who can’t stop the run or get any pressure!

Joel klatt podcast on I think the Monday show talking bout the weekend was really good/interesting breaking down Ohio st and why he thinks they the best team in the country. So tough for me to evaluate them cause the schedule hasn’t been very good despite the fact it somehow rated the 13th strongest in country (I got no freaking clue how they came up with that number, who have they played?). Anyways, I think he makes some really good points about their defense and how it prob will continue getting better under Knowles, the guy has coached less talented groups into really good defenses (that me saying this part not him) and appears to be fixing what been their biggest problem under Day. We know how freaking good Day’s teams are on offense, that never a question but to finally have a defense that not only doesn’t hurt them by giving up drives but they play a style that should get one if not the best offenses in the county extra possessions, that scary.

I still think it tough to judge them overall cause really, who have they played? But we know the offense excellent now I think it fair to start thinking the defense gonna be a whole lot better than previous years when they do play in big games. They def could be the most complete of any the top teams.
I think that 13 for Ohio State is the rating for the schedule they face the rest of the season.

It's hard to disagree with Klatt after watching them against Iowa. And as bad as that score was it could have been a LOT worse. They kicked FGs four times after getting deep into Iowa Territory.

The D has been the question, but Iowa only scored because their D knocked the ball lose inside the 10 and they picked it up and took it in for their only TD.

Hard for me to think they are better than an SEC champ, but they can score with anyone

It’s like the better pitt run game gets the worse Slovis has gotten as the year has went. Early on I thought he played ok, even good at times. Nothing he did last week was even ok. The ints he threw in 1st half were like punts! You put pressure on that statue and he a freakin mess. Lucky for them they get unc this week who can’t stop the run or get any pressure!
That dude complete the simplest of screen passes that game. He was awful.

That dude complete the simplest of screen passes that game. He was awful.

After the 2nd pick in 1st half the tv guy, think it was hassleback, said “they gotta be thinking bout benching this guy”, lol. Ville was committing a ton to stopping the run too so you would think the passing game shoulda worked, they were getting some pressure on him but fuck, that no excuse for some the awful throws and decisions. One those dudes in ville front 7 gonna be a 1st round pick, I forget his name or number now but he was single handedly wrecking pitt offense. Ville d def has some nfl talent on it. That said Slovis was garbage.

I think that 13 for Ohio State is the rating for the schedule they face the rest of the season.

It's hard to disagree with Klatt after watching them against Iowa. And as bad as that score was it could have been a LOT worse. They kicked FGs four times after getting deep into Iowa Territory.

The D has been the question, but Iowa only scored because their D knocked the ball lose inside the 10 and they picked it up and took it in for their only TD.

Hard for me to think they are better than an SEC champ, but they can score with anyone

Im pretty sure where I looked showed SOS to this point and rest the year and called up till now 13, maybe I read it wrong, i sure don’t know how what they have played thus far could be considered the 13th toughest but wtf do I know?

It so hard for me to compare cause the sec champ will clearly have to beaten several teams I think prob better than most everyone osu has or will play to win big10. Like sure I believe Knowles prob is doing a tremendous job with that d but they not gonna play any team with the kind of firepower ya see in the sec, big 12, or pac-12 this yea so how good are they really is tough to say. I can see the argument why one would say they the most complete, we all know the offense elite, if the d is also looking fantastic hard to argue against them, just not sure the d getting tested enough to know how good it is.

Other than the fact he was high as all hell that pretty much the way Marshawn talks, I don’t think the “Mf’in and shit” was extra annoyance more so than some his favorite words, I can relate. Clearly disappointed in lack of turnout but the cussing wasn’t like extra anger. I’d love to see how many takes he has to do when doing a commercial or something, I’d bet there gotta be a bunch of wasted film with him dropping a f bomb or something, “cut! remember marshawn, we can’t say that”, marshawn responds “fuck, my bad”.

Yeah, he didn't say it in an insulting way, it just rolled off the tongue. It was PAC 12 after dark, kids are in bed anyway.

Did Klatt elaborate on how Marvin Harrison Jr is going to be the best WR in the NFL in 4-5 years? Not that I am in a position to say he will or will not be. The compliments the announcers give sometimes almost carry shock value with them now.

@TahoeLegend

I was a big fan of Ivy League football as a kid. In addition to sports page coverage it was a major part of the literature in the Hemingway/F Scott/John O'Hara era. if you read any of their books and short stories there was always something about Ivy League sports, usually football. I always wondered if I could do it

I had a good knowledge of the lore and history of the league. Knew a lot of Ivy League guys like RFK put football ahead of academics when they were there. Knew Tommy Lee Jones played ball there and we come from a similar background, so I knew I might like it.

I got recruited by a couple of them and they did it differently than everyone else. They invited all the guys that the various schools were interest in to Tulsa and all the schools were at this big hall, kind of an academic food court. We talked to the schools who wanted to talk to us, got to know the coaches, blah, blah. A few months later we took a train to New York City and spread out from there to whichever schools we were visiting

I've tried to keep up with it a little ever since. I keep hearing it's a very high level of football, but watching the other night I was surprised at how big and fast the players are.

Last edited:
Did Klatt elaborate on how Marvin Harrison Jr is going to be the best WR in the NFL in 4-5 years? Not that I am in a position to say he will or will not be. The compliments the announcers give sometimes almost carry shock value with them now.
I heard today he hasn’t graded out well in beating man coverage this season fwiw

I think on the podcast it was mostly focused on the defense but I did hear somewhere today he was gonna be best wr in nfl at some point, might have been him on another show or something. Not like I have game film to watch just him, or even watch osu all that much to say, seems like a pretty tough thing to project seeing how the best wrs in league today hardly seem to be the 1st couple taken in their draft, few exceptions.

Was like the lead story here, at least 2nd after the beautiful weather.

@captjohn67

I’m the Jacksonville St guy. There was a time when I was knee deep and could tell you about the two deep for Alabama a+m, or any hbcu for that matter. Those days are behind me for now. Will be interesting to see if prime time gets and interview down on the plains tho. Personally I don’t see that happening, but damn it would be great theater regardless of what happened

@TahoeLegend

All the great writers of the Hemingway era wrote about football and sports in the Ivy League. It was an easy--and pleasurable--way for a young kid to learn about the subject.

Irwin Shaw came along post WW II, just as Hemingway and F Scott were beginning to fade, and wrote one of the greatest short stories of all time about it called The 80-Yard Run. Shaw never identified a specific school where it was set in the story itself, but he said he got the inspiration for it watching football at Columbia and went back to the Columbia stadium in the spring and wrote parts of it sitting alone in the stadium.

All the great writers of the Hemingway era wrote about football and sports in the Ivy League. It was an easy--and pleasurable--way for a young kid to learn about the subject.

Irwin Shaw came along post WW II, just as Hemingway and F Scott were beginning to fade, and wrote one of the greatest short stories of all time about it called The 80-Yard Run. Shaw never identified a specific school where it was set in the story itself, but he said he got the inspiration for it watching football at Columbia and went back to the Columbia stadium in the spring and wrote parts of it sitting alone in the stadium.

I bookmarked that link and will revisit.

I don’t like to say things like this but I feel like the pitt/Louisville game was fixed. The problem with that theory is I don’t think it was only the officials in on it, pit definitely helped as they gave away multiple scoring chances in the 1st half. Another hole in this theory would be for some reason they did call a few touching (roughing ) the passer calls against ville that were identical or less vicious than the hits pitt was putting on Cunningham while never getting called, maybe that was due to pitt garbage qb not leaving pocket while Cunningham running all over the place but while he behind the Los isn’t he still supposed to be a passer? I was glad they didn’t call them on some monster hits pitt laid on him but then they would turn around and throw one on ville for tapping the qb, that part was weird considering every other terrible ball besides those went ville way, including the game determining call where on 3rd and a lot ville wr caught a ball out of bounds and was somehow not overturned despite his foot clearly in the freaking white. I really dunno what the Fuck was going on that game but someone should be investigated! The whole game was strange, the officiating was god awful, and holy shit pitt qb Slovis sucks, he is seriously awful!
Acc officiating has been pretty brutal most of the season from what I have seen.

Acc officiating has been pretty brutal most of the season from what I have seen.

You not lying. They seemed pretty hell bent on helping clemson stay undefeated last week, between the awful calls and cuse inability to stop the run it felt like another acc special. I don’t watch many unc games so between the 2 of us I’d say we have a large portion that conf covered, it hasn’t been good. They seem to be the only league who still has no clue what or what isn’t roughing the passer, that pitt/ville game coulda been a educational video of wken to call it (mostly on hits they didn’t) and wjen not to (mostly on hits they did!).

Back