Week 8 What Are We Learning

Luigi Cristobal is probably a downgrade from Mandy Diaz and I believe the clown is making 8 million a year. When you go into a coaching search with the criteria of the hire having to have ties to the program or area you go from being the best program in the country to irrelevant for 20 years and counting.

Luigi Cristobal is probably a downgrade from Mandy Diaz and I believe the clown is making 8 million a year. When you go into a coaching search with the criteria of the hire having to have ties to the program or area you go from being the best program in the country to irrelevant for 20 years and counting.
Alabama suffered from that same attitude after Bryant died

From @JROCK1966 "One of the more shocking scores from today is FIU currently up 27-0 at the half over Charlotte.....considering how really terrible FIU is, the only explanation I can muster is Charlotte players have quit on their coach.....there was a time a few seasons ago I thought Will Healy was an up and coming coach destined perhaps for a good P5 job...guess not and really sad to see."

I really want to like Sarkisian, for a number of reasons.

But it doesn't matter if Ewers was playing with one arm, hurt hand or any other bullshit today, he was abysmal. And he was abysmal from the get-go. He should have been pulled in the 3Q and that's not even in question. Hudson Card wins this game today by 10 points.

If you don't make that move for whatever reason them you're just not equipped to be a head coach at a high level. It should have been a simple decision. And if we can't entrust Sarkisian with that type decision then we have have the wrong coach. Period.

Last edited:
Charlotte gets a 2pt conversion with for no reason on the last TD of the game to give me a 2H cover by a .5 pt!

blk'd xpt lost me the BC+11.5 1H (lost by 12) - missed xpt last night gave me a push on Princeton-Harvard Under 47

Any other xpts or 2pt decisions win or lose you games this week?

I don’t even probably have to look, but did they lose to Duke? I only ask because it was mentioned on this site by a few to be on that game.
I didn’t bet it, so I’m guessing I know the answer.

Several big 2Hs by teams:

Clemson 17-0 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Kansas 20-7 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Ohio state 28-0 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Army 34-7 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Duke 28-14 (crushed Miami both halves)
Buffalo 27-7 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Memphis 28-3 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Maryland 21-7 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Purdue 21-14 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Ok St 17-3 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Wake Forest 22-6 (covered both halves
Liberty 21-0 (won both halves)
LSU 28-0 (Ole Miss has a 2H scoring problem in a few games now)
UTSA 28-21 (didn't cover 1H, won 2H)
Marshall 17-0
Stanford 9-0
Colorado St 14-0
Vanderbilt 14-0
Fresno 28-3
Air Force 7-0
TCU 21-0
Louisville 17-3

There were very few drops. As in 1 or 2.

Ewers wasn't in the same zip code on many of his throws. And several of his passes could have been fair caught.

He was that bad, injured or otherwise.
I watched the second half and remember more than that. The last pass that was an INT was 100% on the WR. I'm not saying he's Joe Montana but I think the WR's should get some blame as well.

From @JROCK1966 "One of the more shocking scores from today is FIU currently up 27-0 at the half over Charlotte.....considering how really terrible FIU is, the only explanation I can muster is Charlotte players have quit on their coach.....there was a time a few seasons ago I thought Will Healy was an up and coming coach destined perhaps for a good P5 job...guess not and really sad to see."
Classic bet against the favorite team. Neither should be favored and clearly not by that much.

Also Rice as a favorite on the road has no business being favored. They somehow won the game w/o covering a 2.5 point spread.

It won't happen but if Swinney relly wanted to maximize his chances in the FF this season Uiag wouldn't see another start. He wreaks of uncertainty in the pocket, hopping around like he's auditioning for a tap dancing role. Klubnik wasn't asked to do a ton yesterday but stepped into a really difficult circumstance and the team rallied around him to get the win. That two-pointer dart he threw on the run is indicative of his capability. He does everything better than Uiag - pocket presence, accuracy, decision making, ball security, mobility, you name it. If Swinney would get him immersed with the first team and get a start under his belt, you'd see all the things Klubnik can do that Uiag cannot.

Charlotte was off their bye, played UAB last week, covered 1H and game (UAB covered 2H) and 'only' lost by 14 and their D had one of their better games over the last 1+ seasons.

It could be that they put a lot into that effort and when it didn't yield results, they showed up yesterday not caring again. I still can't believe they didn't put up some pts. I only watched the 2H because I got involved there, but reading a little now, they fumbled twice and threw 2 INTs in the 1H, lead to 3 short field TDs for FIU. When I was watching some of their game last week I think it was, they were talking about a stadium expansion. The stadium there is a bowl that is below ground level so they can add an upper level that would sit above the existing stands. But I hear that and I'm like, why would they do that? Unless these schools have more money than they know what to do with. They are moving up to AAC aren't they? They don't need more seats, they will just have more empty seats then.

I also took that 2H Over 27.5, which lost (they scored 22). But in the 2H Charlotte was stopped on downs at the F09 and FIU threw INT from the C01. There very easily could've been 5 2H TDs rather than 3.

Not learned, known, just frustrated, San Diego State is just bad enough to make you think they can lose any game they play, but just good enough to steal your money (like the Hawaii ML or the Nevada 1H, game or 2H spreads). Their QB now was a safety 3 weeks ago. His first start was vs Hawaii, UNR was his second. There was a scramble he had in the 3rd Q where UNR was in position to sack him on 3rd-long near midfield, but he ran around and ended up running it all the way in for a TD. Any hope left UNR on that play, if they had any hope at all to begin with.

Why did Howard have to leave the game for Kansas State and why did he come back? I had nightmares about Rubley's failed QB sneak at what their own 30?

It won't happen but if Swinney relly wanted to maximize his chances in the FF this season Uiag wouldn't see another start. He wreaks of uncertainty in the pocket, hopping around like he's auditioning for a tap dancing role. Klubnik wasn't asked to do a ton yesterday but stepped into a really difficult circumstance and the team rallied around him to get the win. That two-pointer dart he threw on the run is indicative of his capability. He does everything better than Uiag - pocket presence, accuracy, decision making, ball security, mobility, you name it. If Swinney would get him immersed with the first team and get a start under his belt, you'd see all the things Klubnik can do that Uiag cannot.
You were certainly correct sir

I think Brian Kelly is making chicken salad out of chicken sh!t in Baton Rouge. Looking like November 5th will be the day both the East and West are decided in the SEC

I'm glad because it's my team, but Mike Leach can't have an offense that just doesn't work at all against one of his yearly divisional opponents

Pretty surprised that Saban let Jermaine Burton play honestly. There must be more to the story, though I know the takes on social media will be scorching about him being desperate or something.

I don't guess there's anything more to say about aTm and Jimbo. Nice win for South Carolina, but Aggies should be upset at what they are getting in year 5

That SC - A&M game was really shaping up for an Aggie win as it ended the 2Q into HT. SC really hadn't done much on O, just the KO ret and turnover fueled pts. SC had 17 pts of just 19 yards of offense! Where I fault A&M and Jimbo, not so much that they got behind like they did, but that they weren't able to win the game in the 2H. Aggies outgained them 398-286.

Stanford kicks 5 FGs to win 15-14, shut out ASU in the 2H. 5 FGs on 400y of O. They were 0-3 TDs in the RZ and made FGs from the A26, A18, A26, A18 and A29. They also SOD at A35 and threw INT from the A24. Almost a holy shit moment at the end. ASU's last gasp effort in the final seconds, 4th-19 from the S43, ASU at first appeared to get a pass down the sideline the WR made a one-handed grab at the S01 and may've even scored! They put the ball the S01 with :03, but replay stopped to review and the miracle reception was incomplete as WR's foot was OOB. If that would've been complete, coupled with the way Ore St won on the farm 2 weeks ago would've just been so insanely crazy.

What about Ohio State taking knees at the end of the 2Q following an Iowa punt? I think there was 1.5 minutes left and OSU had 1 timeout left. They were maybe at their own 30? Their O hadn't been very good in the 1H so I just assume the staff didn't want to make a mistake, which is ok, but you're the Ohio State O and you don't try to go on a 2min drive at home there? Lots of respect for Iowa D in that situation, or lack of trust of their QB?

Charlotte was off their bye, played UAB last week, covered 1H and game (UAB covered 2H) and 'only' lost by 14 and their D had one of their better games over the last 1+ seasons.

It could be that they put a lot into that effort and when it didn't yield results, they showed up yesterday not caring again. I still can't believe they didn't put up some pts. I only watched the 2H because I got involved there, but reading a little now, they fumbled twice and threw 2 INTs in the 1H, lead to 3 short field TDs for FIU. When I was watching some of their game last week I think it was, they were talking about a stadium expansion. The stadium there is a bowl that is below ground level so they can add an upper level that would sit above the existing stands. But I hear that and I'm like, why would they do that? Unless these schools have more money than they know what to do with. They are moving up to AAC aren't they? They don't need more seats, they will just have more empty seats then.
He just got fired

I think Brian Kelly is making chicken salad out of chicken sh!t in Baton Rouge. Looking like November 5th will be the day both the East and West are decided in the SEC

I'm glad because it's my team, but Mike Leach can't have an offense that just doesn't work at all against one of his yearly divisional opponents

Pretty surprised that Saban let Jermaine Burton play honestly. There must be more to the story, though I know the takes on social media will be scorching about him being desperate or something.

I don't guess there's anything more to say about aTm and Jimbo. Nice win for South Carolina, but Aggies should be upset at what they are getting in year 5
The best possible hire for LSU, it’s clear now(not that it wasn’t before).

0 vs LSU
20 vs Auburn
35 vs Vandy
3 vs UK
0 vs Tulsa

Those are the last 5 2H points out of the Ole Miss Offense, why have they been shutout 2H twice and only scored 3 on UK?

Charlotte gets a 2pt conversion with for no reason on the last TD of the game to give me a 2H cover by a .5 pt!

blk'd xpt lost me the BC+11.5 1H (lost by 12) - missed xpt last night gave me a push on Princeton-Harvard Under 47

Any other xpts or 2pt decisions win or lose you games this week?
Grabbed A&M +5.5 in game when they were down 10-0. Jimbo then decided to kick the FG from the 5 yard line to make it a one score game. A&M lost by 6…

Don't keep up with Indiana, but look at time of possession. They barely had the ball in the second half. Rutgers just ground them down. Indiana scored on opening k.o. return for a TD and after that scored 10. I can say they never looked like they quit. Interested in others' thoughts because I'll be looking for another opportunity to fade them.

It's rare.

Having said the above I was really impressed with Uiag's presence / support on the sideline once he got benched. He stayed engaged and looked to be helping Klubnik out. Just what you want from a team leader.
Shades of Jalen Hurts. That attitude will help him moving forward no matter what his playing time ends up being.

Liberty is a failed 2pt conversion away at Wake from being 8-0 heading to Arkansas. That will be an interesting game Nov.5th.

Looking like a 10-2 season for them. Hugh Freeze would then be 38-13 at Liberty. Do any of the p5 come calling after the season?

It's rare.

Having said the above I was really impressed with Uiag's presence / support on the sideline once he got benched. He stayed engaged and looked to be helping Klubnik out. Just what you want from a team leader.
Completely agree here. Seems like a good team player.

He’s just not that good I guess

Liberty is a failed 2pt conversion away at Wake from being 8-0 heading to Arkansas. That will be an interesting game Nov.5th.

Looking like a 10-2 season for them. Hugh Freeze would then be 38-13 at Liberty. Do any of the p5 come calling after the season?
Freeze is just a great coach and its about time he landed a big job.

Auburn probably is ringing him 7 times a day
If the conference will allow it, I'd expect Freeze to be AU's next head coach. He is who the boosters want, and they usually get who they want. Think they may have to wait on hiring an AD that will do what they want. The last AD resisted the desires of the boosters and that's how they ended up with Harsin, or at least that's my understanding of it from talking to a few folks

Only coaches I'd put ahead of Kelly is Saban and dabo.....who is number 3 besides Kelly....jimbo would of been in my top 5 before this year...I'd give jumbo some more leash he's a good coach

Buy Kelly's black mark is he has never recruited a good qb......amazing actually

Dabo is why DJ has a great demeanor about it really really like way Dabo is handling this saying dj is still our guy......imo dj is a heck of a qb, and has been throwing dimes this year. Was not the problem with the offense last year

Freeze might be the ultimate play down to ur competition play up to your competition coach

Back