Week 8 Plays: Tell me why I'll lose

Seabass

Pretty much a regular
I've decided to finally start posting my plays here...not because I have any intention of people tailing me, but because I feel like I've gotten away from really evaluating what I am doing wrong when I make bad decisions. If you disagree with my thinking on a game, let me know why-that is exactly what I'm looking for here. But hey, if you feel like telling me you like my card, I guess I'll take that too.

All bets are almost always 2 units, unless I indicate otherwise.

Georgia Tech +9, -101
Bought this one solely for value, expecting it to be bet down to Clemson -7 or so. I'm currently hoping to achieve a nice middle opportunity...but I'm looking to do more research as the week goes on to see is this GT bet is worth simply keeping.

Boston College +3.5, -104
Bought this one solely for value, but clearly messed up pretty badly. I thought the public would hammer it down to a 3 point game or even 2.5, but that was clearly a bad judgment. Is there a reason that I should have expected FSU to be more popular, here? If I can't middle it, I'm going to end up going with BC and hope that they can end their struggles against FSU-BC has played a lot of strong teams, so this is nothing new for them. Problem is, they've played those teams at home...hoping the half point gets me a W, here.

Uconn/West Virginia o 48, -105
The first pick that I'm definitely keeping, bought it because I think it will cash. WVU has only had one game that would have been under this total, 37 vs. East Carolina...a game that was plagued by TO's and missed opportunities. The question is whether UConn can get at least 10 or so on West Virginia, and I think they can. This is homecoming in Uconn, and I think that UConn +21 could be worth a look too...but Navy ran all over them, and I don't see why WVU can't match it. WVU will score on UConn...but UConn will come out motivated and probably find a way to keep up for the first half or so. I think this final score ends up looking similiar to the 41-17 UConn had against Navy.

Oregon State -2.5, -105
Oregon State has two bad losses, against Boise and Cal. They just beat Washington by 10, though, on the road...and maybe I'm valuing that too much, but Arizona is pure trash. They lost to Washington at home...and I think without a 20-7 victory over Stanford, OSU is favored by more than a FG in this one...I think we all know at this point that 20-7 over Stanford is meaningless...

Notre Dame -12.5, -105
The con on this one is that UCLA hasn't lost by more than 10 all season. The pros, though, outweigh the con. Notre Dame is coming off a bye, and probably realizes at this point that it is time to blow someone out to get their respect back. The offense is slowly figuring it out. More importantly, the way to beat Notre Dame is to beat on their secondary...Minus Olson, will UCLA be able to exploit the secondary? I doubt it. To me, UCLA coming east to ND just represents such a step-up in class that they won't be used to it. ND is the best team they have faced this season.

Texas -6.5, -109
Another game where I'm really just looking at pure talent differential. Texas has blown everyone out this year with the exception of Ohio State, and beat Oklahoma handily on the road, back when Adrian Peterson was still alive. Nebraska has looked pretty good against a bunch of terrible teams, and they looked horrible against USC...who is probably overrated at this point, too. Texas simply outclasses Nebraska, and takes care of business in this one.

More may be coming later...thoughts?

just my thoughts

Georgia Tech +9, -101

This one looks very good to me. Georgia Tech is my pick to win the ACC this season and I think they could easily win this game.

Both these teams are trash, but in that situation getting points should be the right move

Uconn/West Virginia o 48, -105

West virginia should get this themselves. (I wouldn't expect much from Uconn here) but looks decent

Oregon State -2.5, -105

you are certainly overvalueing oregon state here. They are still one of the worst teams in the pac-10 and this will be a huge spot for arizona. Should be a low scoring toss up, but giving points on teh road with this beaver squad might be a little risky

Notre Dame -12.5, -105

everyone on this board seems to be on notre dame here but I disagree. ND is still a very overrated team and UCLA has an underrated defense. Ive watched ND a lot this year and they just arent that impressive. UCLA's defense should be able thold them to about 30 or less and I wouldnt count out this Cowan kid, he seems very poised and mobile. I have been fading UCLA all yaer but I think this could be a close game.

Texas -6.5, -109

I Like Nebraska here but if you got texas under 7 I wouldn't disagree. This game is going to be HUGE for Nebraska and I think they have a great shot at pulling it off.

seabass, one word of warning about Texas, they have won their last two games, which were close until both teams produced 5 TOs a piece!! I'm not saying Texas is not bad, and I'm not saying they are not the right side here, I'm just saying to be careful weighing their last two performances.

beer.gif

Its early to fully evaluate...

I agree very much that people underestimate UCLA's defense. If the new Qb can produce points then I would have to say UCLA looks very attractive....UCLA defense is very solid IMO...

Again , I agree with cautioning yourself laying chalk with Oregon State. Hell everyone though WASH was going to destroy them last week...Zona plays solid defense...

Agree with you on GT as Clemson is thin @ WR and anytime they catch points you have to listen....

No opinions yet on the rest. GL

BC QB nursing ankle and foot injuries
Associated Press
Sun, Oct 15, 2006
BOSTON -- Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan missed practice on Sunday as he tried to recover from a left foot injury sustained in the Eagles` victory over Virginia Tech.
``He still has an ankle problem but now he has something going on in his foot,`` coach Tom O`Brien said Sunday. ``He`s gimping around. He`s limping a bit. He`s come around before. Hopefully he`ll be able to do it again.``
Ryan injured his ankle in BC`s first game of the season, then aggravated it in the second one. He was limping in the second half of Thursday night`s game, which the Eagles won 22-3.
``He`s obviously shown his toughness in the past,`` O`Brien said. ``It`s not something we would like to have. We`d like to have him at practice every day.
``He`ll practice when he can get out there,`` O`Brien continued. ``We`ll see how he is Tuesday and go on from there.``
The Eagles play at Florida State on Saturday. Oddsmakers have not yet released a line for this matchup.
Ryan was not available for comment after Thursday`s game because he was being evaluated. O`Brien would not comment on what treatment or tests Ryan had.
Also Sunday, O`Brien said he would try out other players on the team to replace walk-on Steve Aponavicius for kickoffs. The left-footed sophomore, who had never played in a football game before Thursday night`s game against the Hokies, was a perfect 4-for-4 with two field goals and two extra points, but his kickoffs were short.
Wide receiver Brandon Robinson took over on kickoffs near the end of the game.
``We`re going to have to reinvestigate that this week,`` O`Brien said. ``We`ll kick earlier this week, probably chart some kicks and do some things that we didn`t get to last week.``
O`Brien said he didn`t think traveling to Tallahassee would unsettle Aponavicius, who played soccer in high school and was discovered fooling around in Alumni Stadium with a borrowed football on the first day of classes his sophomore year.
``I don`t think anything fazes him,`` O`Brien said. ``I wasn`t worried about him last week and I`m not worried today.``

So that is why the line is now off-line. My chances of middling that bet are shot, but I still think that BC plus the 3.5 is probably a decent bet.

For what it is worth, I think Ryan will play. He did get hobbled a little bit in the VA Tech game, but I would be shocked if he didn't get in there against FSU...and the injuries don't seem all that big in order to really present the kind of problem it was in the CMU game.

Thank you all for your opinions so far...obviously I wouldn't have made the plays if I wasn't dead-set in my thinking, but this is the kind of stuff that I really like to have so that when I look back, I'll know that I should have known better...

looks pretty solid seabass...I just worry that this is only GT's second road game and Clemson is in a huge revenge spot, I think this is the type of game where Ball makes some mistakes. gl.

Hunt-while the GT pick seems to be one of the more popular ones that I listed, I definitely am still considering dumping it for some sort of a middle. I want to see how the line movement keeps going up until gametime though-I'm in no rush, and I'm certainly at least moderately confident on GT +9 if I have to be...

Adding a couple, probably my last 2, unless someone puts up a real good argument on this site (or if the MTSU line ever comes out)

Virginia Tech -13 -113
I love taking teams going back home after getting pasted on the road. Virginia Tech can't beat good teams, it appears. What they have shown, however, is an ability to blow out average/below average teams, and that is exactly the level that Southern Mississippi plays in. This is also a night game-how many times do you see VA Tech not blow someone out in a night game at home?

Miami -20.5 over Duke, -101
Yes, the team is in turmoil. Yes, Larry Coker isn't really the kind of big time coach you want to get your team back on track. Yes, eight players are suspended. But c'mon. This is Duke. Remember when we all tried to convince ourselves that Duke would beat Virginia? 37-0. With players suspended, some guys on Miami might get a shot who don't usually...and you better believe that the backups on the U are better than the starters at UVA. Coker cracks the whip this week, and his players respond by throttling Duke, even at home.

I know you were curious about why it was OFF so I came across that article.

With ya in VaTech....(at least in logic)

Now there are 31 suspended players from that Miami-FIU incident...not sure of the breakdown though

okay, I'm going for a run and then going to bed, before I end up betting the entire board...

Penn State/Illinois u 43
Morelli is probably not going to play due to his concussion. The backup Clark actually suffered whiplash. There is a good chance that both don't play. Regardless, Illinois has managed to score when facing D's that struggle to stop the run. Penn State is not one of those D's. I don't think Penn State scores more than 28, regardless of QB, and I really don't think Illinois scores 14.

Like I said, seriously, I have got to get off...not gonna bet this game, but be CAREFUL if you like West Virginia minus all those points friday...

FYI, The ACC and Miami (4-2) suspended Carlos Armour, Chris Barney, James Bryant, Tyrone Byrd, DajLeon Farr, Ryan Hill, Bruce Johnson, Charlie Jones, Brandon Meriweather, Brian Monroe, Derrick Morse, Randy Phillips and Anthony Reddick.

Mich St -6.5 -106 over Northwestern
Fun fact of the day: Michigan State is 1-16 ATS after losing straight up the previous week. God damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Seabass said:
Mich St -6.5 -106 over Northwestern
Fun fact of the day: Michigan State is 1-16 ATS after losing straight up the previous week. God damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I am looking at this game close as well. Mich ST, you are not really this bad are you?!?! I just can't picture Northwestern winning but I sure as hell do not trust MSU that much...

Tennessee -11 (-107)
One of the games I've been thinking about...made a decision after reading some thoughts around the web, and FMN...

My card is getting a lot bigger than I like it...

Yeah, no kidding on Miami. I still think I'm going to cover the line I got, but it's really making me wonder if its worth hitting on Miami again.

Do people honestly think that Duke is going to keep this game competitive? I just don't see it...

UCLA's defense is being underrated? Who have they played? They played Utah at home.. Utah has shown they STINK on the road and can't move the ball there...

Oregon? Torched them for 30 in about 40 mins and let up. That game was a blowout don't let anyone fool you. LA to Indiana is a lonnnnnnng trip and UCLA will have to put up 20 pts at least to cover here... don't see it happening.

N.D. also seems to be one of the teams to benefit most from a bye. Work on timing, play calling, and getting re-focused. Blowing out the Bruins is a MUST for their season. I don't see N.D. struggling here... I expect a big bounce back. We saw what Cal did against Oregon, and UCLA hung a legit 3, maybe 10 on them when the game mattered.

As far as the BC/FSU early line move before it went off...I think alot of people are waiting for a spot to fade O'Brian's crew..I know I am...so FSU at a FG looked tasty when it came out...

Be interesting to see where it pops back up at.

Oregon? Torched them for 30 in about 40 mins and let up. That game was a blowout don't let anyone fool you. LA to Indiana is a lonnnnnnng trip and UCLA will have to put up 20 pts at least to cover here... don't see it happening.

Oregon's QB got knicked up as well...

Both these teams are trash, but in that situation getting points should be the right move

I can understand if someone thinks FSU and BC are overrated...but calling them trash? BC has one loss, and has beat Clemson, BYU, and VT. Hardly trash if you ask me.

I think BC is the right side here.

UCLA's defense is being underrated? Who have they played? They played Utah at home.. Utah has shown they STINK on the road and can't move the ball there...

I watched every minute of that Oregon game and their defense did not play that badly. yes they got jumped on early but it happens on the road and it was against one of teh best offenses in the nation. Oregon also started with great field position. Holding Oregon to just 30 at home especially with the first quarter debale is actually impressive to me.

Seabass,

I'm keying in on the Georgia Tech game myself. I think a ML play may even be in order there.

West Virginia rolls here. UConn will not be able to slow the Eeers down. Look for another 150/150 rushing performance from White/Slaton.

I think the Nebraska D is good enough to keep this game close. I'll probably pass, although alot will depend on what I hear about the Texas secondary.

I would not even consider Oregon State. Not sayin they won't cover, but they have played awful in spots this year.

BOL this week.

Hail to Pitt ! ! !

I can understand if someone thinks FSU and BC are overrated...but calling them trash? BC has one loss, and has beat Clemson, BYU, and VT. Hardly trash if you ask me.

I think BC is the right side here.

probably did go a little far in finding a synonym for overrated there. The ACC is trash though, IMO.

Sloppy weekend so far...

Anyway, I bought off of GT by taking Clemson -8 +107. Let's root for a 8 or 9 pt game here...or a Clemson rout, I guess would be fine too. I just never had any intention in betting this game and finally got a number that I was decently happy about taking. I think Clemson could run them over.

Back