Week 8 ML Dogs

I’m likin’ Eastern Michigan as well fwiw.

It is a save your season type play. The concerning part is that they are in a save-your-season type position.

I kinda tried to see if I could make a case, but really can't.

WM has been outgained 3 straight weeks, but EM has been outgained in both MAC games and only outgained Central Conn by like 20 or 30 yards. EM is in a bad place.

Central Mich just crushed them. They showed some stuff pregame that had the EM coach saying something like "our guys think it's a big game, but not a rivalry". CM coach said "it's a rivalry when you have Michigan in your name". So if one wanted to...it could be said that EM took the recently downtrodden Chips lightly and CM on the other hand put emphasis on it? But if you think that EM almost lost to Central Connecticut the week before - it is more than just want to and caring.

EM had 10 pt lead 1st H and 9 pt lead 2nd H last week vs Ball St, but were -3 TOs (Ball St did outgain them by 80y) and Ball St won 29-23. Not the shame there used to be losing to Ball St, EM was only 1pt home fav.

If Central wasn't a rival...is Western? I mean, the correct answer is they both are, but why act like Central isn't? Will it matter? EM hasn't been able to get a pass rush, poor OL play...it's like the Illinois game was the peak of their season, which is not what you want in week 3.

One thing they have going for them, Ryland is a really good kicker.

What you see?

Creighton is 0-5 vs Western

Western is a good running team

Eastern gave up 300y rushing vs Central and nearly 200y vs Ball St

This big of a home conference rivalry dog is appealing, but what about EM is appealing right now?

Just have to be total contrarian to even consider it the way they are playing.

If anything...the last 2 years have been close, 3 pt games each last two years, the prior 3 not really.

It is a save your season type play. The concerning part is that they are in a save-your-season type position.

I kinda tried to see if I could make a case, but really can't.

WM has been outgained 3 straight weeks, but EM has been outgained in both MAC games and only outgained Central Conn by like 20 or 30 yards. EM is in a bad place.

Central Mich just crushed them. They showed some stuff pregame that had the EM coach saying something like "our guys think it's a big game, but not a rivalry". CM coach said "it's a rivalry when you have Michigan in your name". So if one wanted to...it could be said that EM took the recently downtrodden Chips lightly and CM on the other hand put emphasis on it? But if you think that EM almost lost to Central Connecticut the week before - it is more than just want to and caring.

EM had 10 pt lead 1st H and 9 pt lead 2nd H last week vs Ball St, but were -3 TOs (Ball St did outgain them by 80y) and Ball St won 29-23. Not the shame there used to be losing to Ball St, EM was only 1pt home fav.

If Central wasn't a rival...is Western? I mean, the correct answer is they both are, but why act like Central isn't? Will it matter? EM hasn't been able to get a pass rush, poor OL play...it's like the Illinois game was the peak of their season, which is not what you want in week 3.

One thing they have going for them, Ryland is a really good kicker.

What you see?
I admit my initial attraction to this game is based off their earlier performances this season. I thought they played my Wildcats tough and I thought Glass was on fire at Illinois. Not sure what has happened since though and why Glass is throwing interceptions left and right I'm not sure. But being a rivalry game I thought they may be a live home dog. In addition, my trends below have the home team winning 50% of the time. This is not a bad percentage when trying to pick a dog. But now reading your post has me re-thinking it a bit....

emu.jpg

I fade SDSU giving more than a TD. Taking SJSU +8 and small ML.

I like it as well.

San Diego St O is pretty anemic. The D might be a little better this year.

Even last year SD St beat them just 16-13 (27pt fav) and SJ outgained them by 2 yards!

SJ has been super competitive this year. Even last week, all kinds of things went wrong, they got down big and were able to comeback to tie. It shows resolve and fight even if it doesn't show much maturity and consistency with how their games have gone...up and down, good and bad.

If we get some of the good SJ, especially on O, and some of the average O that SD fields weekly, upset could definitely be in the cards. Going to be interesting to see how SJ can do vs the Aztecs' D.

Why can’t oregon st beat cal? Interesting game since cal offense terrible but who can’t score on beavers, I like beavers offense but cal will be only the second good d they have faced but I don’t think cal d is anywhere close to as scary up front as utes who dominated beavers last week., I think osu can score, they should get plenty of chances. 11 seems like a ton I’m def taking the points, thinking bout the ml.

Same goes for Colorado. Wazzu can’t stop anyone. Don’t see why Montez and co can’t light them up and this comes down to who has ball last? Again all over the dd.

Zona as well. Guess there a theme this week in pac12! Bruins started it off the other night and think there another dog or 2 to follow!

Didn’t even mentioned asu. Don’t really like them but another spread that seems high.

Why can’t oregon st beat cal? Interesting game since cal offense terrible but who can’t score on beavers, I like beavers offense but cal will be only the second good d they have faced but I don’t think cal d is anywhere close to as scary up front as utes who dominated beavers last week., I think osu can score, they should get plenty of chances. 11 seems like a ton I’m def taking the points, thinking bout the ml.
I find these numbers interesting. The SU record here for my query is 7-0. I'm not all that scared off by the undefeated home record because, if I had a dime for every undefeated trend I backed then lost, I wouldn't be gambling. Well, not entirely true, but hopefully you get my point. What I find interesting here is the average line for all these similar games is -35. The standard deviation is 12 and look at the BC/Army line... -23.5. Do the math...really uncanny! The line for the Cal/OSU game, however, falls well outside of the range. When I see this, I immediately think of the Public and a quick check at my fav consensus sight reveals it sitting at 73% for Cal. I know I might sound all wackadoodle and shit but, bottom line, I think Cal is most likely a Public darling.

cal.jpg

Hope you guys don't mind me blowing up this thread with all my crazy shit but I think I found a recurring theme for this weekend...thru my research this week I have found home teams, off a bye week facing teams without a bye, do not have favorable stats. One would think that the home team with more rest would fare better but my stats are not showing this to be true. I went ahead and provided a list of home teams that fall within this category below. SMU, Ga. Southern, Okie State, Cal, Utah State (@s--k this is your call!!) are several. For a complete list see below. One other one that peeked my interest was Liberty....how is Maine? Are they any good?

hometeams.jpg

vk said said:
Oregon State - Cal QB makes this possible, doesn't it?

I find these numbers interesting. The SU record here for my query is 7-0. I'm not all that scared off by the undefeated home record because, if I had a dime for every undefeated trend I backed then lost, I wouldn't be gambling. Well, not entirely true, but hopefully you get my point. What I find interesting here is the average line for all these similar games is -35. The standard deviation is 12 and look at the BC/Army line... -23.5. Do the math...really uncanny! The line for the Cal/OSU game, however, falls well outside of the range. When I see this, I immediately think of the Public and a quick check at my fav consensus sight reveals it sitting at 73% for Cal. I know I might sound all wackadoodle and shit but, bottom line, I think Cal is most likely a Public darling.

I do like Oregon State. For full disclosure, I frequently like Oregon St - I've bet every week this year, some MLs and have a RSW Ov on them. So I might not be super objective on them.

Last week was bad bad bad, honestly, I thought Oregon State was past those type of woodshed games.

Which really makes this game super important for their team culture and innerworkings. To bounceback and prove to themselves that all the work and the what the coaches are preaching is working. They have bye on deck, so another bad showing here and they have 2 weeks to be stuck with the Utah and Cal results.

Now to the tangibles. I think this game comes down 100% most certainly to Jake Luton. Oregon St will have success or failure all on his play. He can play really well and is a better QB this year, but still susceptible to streaky play - see the 2nd H vs Hawaii for instance.

With a QB that can lose some mojo mid-game it is an iffy proposition to give him full faith and confidence facing this Cal D. But, this is what he must do, and Ore St's hopes totally hinge on it. He threw his first INT of the season last week, now the ratio is 14-1 - pretty good.

Oregon State has played well in both road games this year (at Hawaii 28-31 - Beaver's D played really well...and at UCLA 48-31...team came out absolutely on fire). So I like that.

I also like Oregon State's O in general, they have nice skill weapons. The OL has only given up 8 sacks on 216 pass attempts (3.7%).

Oregon State's YPP O is a healthy 6.24 and they convert 3rd downs really well, 47% 2nd best PAC12 and top 20 nationally.

Contrast that with Cal's O, sub 5 YPP ranks them 109th and 36% 3rd down conv 97th nationally (last in PAC12). This we know, the Cal O is bad. Remember the North Texas game? They could only score 23 pts on a not good CUSA D. See that NT is allowing avg 35 ppg to their other 5 foes. Now Cal, has posted some better numbers in other games, but that was with Garbers at QB. Now they have Modster, downgrade.

Go Beavs!

Hope you guys don't mind me blowing up this thread with all my crazy shit but I think I found a recurring theme for this weekend...thru my research this week I have found home teams, off a bye week facing teams without a bye, do not have favorable stats. One would think that the home team with more rest would fare better but my stats are not showing this to be true. I went ahead and provided a list of home teams that fall within this category below. SMU, Ga. Southern, Okie State, Cal, Utah State (@s--k this is your call!!) are several. For a complete list see below. One other one that peeked my interest was Liberty....how is Maine? Are they any good?

View attachment 43677

Can't offer you anything on Maine.

More posts and information is much better than less JRock, so keep doing what you do so long as you enjoy doing it.

Bye weeks I always think fall into whatever case somebody wants to make for them. Do they provide an opportunity to get healthy and more detail practice and gameplan for your next opponent? Yes. Can they get a team out of game rhythm and break any momentum a team had into the bye? Yes.

Utah St is a very good team, but I have not been super impressed with them this year. I don't want to knock them because there isn't much to knock other than they just are not as clean as they have been prior. they have the potential to regain their 2018 form, so proceeding with caution against them is probably wise.

Nevada can be a pesky team. They pulled 3 upsets last year as small dogs and found a way to beat Purdue in one of their two dog roles this year.

Malik Henry made his debut last week. He's the very hyped QB formerly from Florida St and Last Chance U.

I personally am not sure if he will be boom or bust here. I do like that he was able to get full game starting action for the first time last week and actually had to lead game winning drive after San Jose came back on the Pack. So he's faced some pressure and adversity atleast.

Wish I had a little more confidence in Henry, but if he has all the supposed talent he does, then he should be an upgrade to a team that was already solid. Will need to hope that Utah St plays mostly in their 2019 form and don't regain last year's dominance. Stats like these matter little this far into the season, but the reason Utah St has been a little off is alot of attrition on OL, D and receivers. So they stand to get better the deeper into this season they get compared to the first half. But throwing $10 on a long shot dog of this caliber still makes sense to me.

Tremendous thread this week.

I think this is THE week.

LFG.

Really hope it is.

I was 1 out of 4 MLs last week (site down not posted, won Tenn, lost Mich St, OMiss and MiaOh) and did hit 1 out of like 5 two weeks ago (Ore St). But just getting 1 a week among 3 or 5 others isn't getting it. Haven't won more than 1 any week this year and mostly getting skunked with zero. Need a couple to come in this week to put a smile on my face.

Really hope it is.

I was 1 out of 4 MLs last week (site down not posted, won Tenn, lost Mich St, OMiss and MiaOh) and did hit 1 out of like 5 two weeks ago (Ore St). But just getting 1 a week among 3 or 5 others isn't getting it. Haven't won more than 1 any week this year and mostly getting skunked with zero. Need a couple to come in this week to put a smile on my face.
It is a well capped week.

This is the perfect time of year for upsets.

We have a good sample size now of a lot of these teams.

Game on.

Toledo 3 pt dog at Ball St now?

Toledo could be on 3rd string QB (1st and 2nd string injured vs BG 2nd H), but that 3rd string QB is Eli Peters, who isn't great, but started many games last year 18-7 ratio (4 INTs vs Ball St LY - ouch!).

Feels like a HUGE adjustment in the line.

Ball St improved, although trailed both NIU and EM by more than 1 score before 2nd H comebacks.

Bobcats been steaming up...8.5. I still will have Kent + but got some cold feet on betting they will win.

Beavers almost blew it with dreadful 3rd qrt, but they were able to get it going again in the 4th.

An abysmal 2nd H by Charlotte. Just about ruined my mood watching it, I would've been better to turn it off at HT and just check the final. Four 15y personal penalties on the day so far, about 90y in penalties on them, some negating FDs, some giving WKU FDs (once a very suspicious call the ref seemed hesitant to even announce it and there was no video evidence of it when WKU would've punted and instead went on for TD). Just a really disheartening half to have seen. However, best thing the day doesn't end there. Two more waves of games to go.

Time for nighttime fun. Let's Go!

Got the beavers but the other pac-12 doggies off to poor starts.

Came close w Tulsa. Kicking myself for going Purdue instead of gtech in the contest. I was back and forth there and choose wrong. Nothing new. Lol.

Anyone like any the not so great slate of late games?

I have zona w the points, Havnt convinces myself of ml.

I can’t get behind BYU, Boise just always seems to beat me when I try them.

Hawaii interesting, as is over.

Anyone like any the not so great slate of late games?

I have zona w the points, Havnt convinces myself of ml.

I can’t get behind BYU, Boise just always seems to beat me when I try them.

Hawaii interesting, as is over.

I took UH with the pts, but don't want to invest more in that game unless I do real well or real bad here in this time slot, hahaha.

You have feelings in the Nevada - Utah St game? Nev is up to +980

Eastern hit.

When you think about what we are trying to do, we are trying to predict things that shouldn't happen, anticipating unlikely outcomes. There were some today...Vandy? Illinois? Hell Kansas almost won!

You just can't make reasonable cases why those things happen. So I feel bad about Eastern. They did it with a QB making first ever start...set a season high passing yards for EM. Good win for them.

San Jose sucked.

I've said this way too many times. The thing that pisses me off the most is a ML dog that doesn't cover ATS because they ATS win is supposed to cover the ML risk. I pick teams that fail at that way too often unfortunately. San Diego St just totally owned time of possession. They had a 10 minute drive for a FG. So fucking Aztec O and they still covered. Was a pretty critical and controversial play when it was just a 10 pt game. Punted ball live hit a Aztec blocking, ruled on the field San Jose ball. Refs talked about it and said "he was blocked into the ball". The Aztec was blocking yes, but he wasn't pushed into the ball, he was just there on the field blocking and the ball hit him. Would've been great field position for San Jose and could've got a score out of it maybe. Shitty call.

Hope Nevada can do something, but they are getting a little unlucky already, outplaying Utah St and trail by 9.

Man....Nevada ain't winning this shit. Love started 4-of-16 passing. Ran a KO back and got a safety after a punt. Now Utah St is playing better and Nevada doesn't have anything.

Coastal Carolina was the one that did me in. I would've gotten my money back had they pulled it off but....

:embarassed:

Coastal Carolina was the one that did me in. I would've gotten my money back had they pulled it off but....

:embarassed:
Obviously you know that I said it would be a dog week.

I did one 4 team parlay of all ML dogs for fun.... 1/5 of a unit.... paid 50-1

You can guess the Triple OT loser :(

Here are some ....

UNLV - Fresno just gave up 340 on the ground to AFA, UNLV off two impressive games in a loss to Boise (deceiving score) and win at Vandy, and have a varied rushing attack. Long shot for sure but possible.

Oregon State - Cal QB makes this possible, doesn't it?

Akron - Dare i say it? Buffalo has only reached 400 yards once all year (429) and it happened when they had 90 plays in the game. Akron looked slightly improved last week.

Old Dominion - Every once in awhile my radar pings. This game is making my radar ping.

Tulane - Good DL could mean slowing down the Memphis run game, and as we saw AGAIN last week, Brady White isn't going to beat you very often. Tulane could potentially score with Memphis in the event of a shootout as well. Seems reasonable but something feels off... maybe because of what tulane did to them last year (note that was a weather game which Memphis struggled in multiple times last year)

MTSU - thoroughly outplayed FAU last week in defeat, and UNT not to be trusted.

Marshall - Schizo team, FAU is a schizo team. FAU is florida based and will get higher betting volume than normal. Always a dangerous combo.
Unlv was more competitive than the score

Oregon state came in (largely for named reasons) but i didnt wvwn have ats

Akron didnt get it done but remember i mentioned buffalo offensive production? They had 254 total yards. Still won by 21 but I felt this was a good ml shot

Odu - radar was picking up a dolphin not a submarine

Tulane - motivation too much there. Felt wrong but had to be mentioned

Mtsu managed to blow it again

Marshall and the refs got it done

Gtech too. Man I was so torn between them and Purdue in contest. Guess which one I picked. Lol. Purdue had a shot, Tulsa kinda did too but just couldn’t score.,
I knew I had forgotten another big one.

Back