Week 8 ML Dogs

ProV1Colt

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 7 Winners
Winners go here, I post tomorrow.
Gonna chill and watch Chiefs Pats.

What a week. We had a ton of Dogs win this week. In our Underdogs Contest we had a few go 3 for 3. 2 for 3.
Some big dog hits as well.
Go Big Orange

On to Week 8......

Let’s discuss.

Best performers this year (scoresandodds closing numbers)

BYU +331, +1098
Cincinnati +447, +105
Coastal Carolina +256, +125
Duke +130, +105, +105
Hawaii +711, +384, +155

Iowa State +289, +184 back to back weeks
Kentucky +416, +292
Liberty +172, +222, +317
LSU +317, +135, +217

Middle Tennessee State +132, +130
Pitt +148, +140
San Diego St +184, +367
Texas +120, +226
Texas Tech +446, +260
UAB +160, +215
ULM +188, +211
Virginia Tech +262, +211

Last edited:
Not a ton of values stick out to me, but alot of small-ish dogs that could bark...

Az St
Tulsa (if dogs—depends on Storey’s status)
Sparty
Buffalo
Ole Miss
Marshall
Coastal Car
Minny
NC St
Memphis
Miss St
Old Dom
Wazzu

Washington State currently favored. I tend to like Oregon a little.

Looks like the best week of the year for mid level dogs.

Terps - No doubt Iowa has been playing good football but so has Maryland for the most part. And Iowa has been beating up on bad teams or teams in bad spots (Indiana last week). Iowa has been forced to throw more and Stanley has done great doing it but Terps pass defense isn't bad at all (held rutgers to 8 yards passing, bg and minny under 200 and have yet to give up a 300 yard passing game. Terps will have to find a few first downs against the tough Iowa rush defense. With both defenses matching up well against the strength of the opponents offense, the under looks extremely solid and that makes me think that Terps are hanging around at a minimum. Teams are pretty even in reality ..... so lots of value on that ML

Miami Ohio - Should be a competitive game throughout with MOH having a decent rush defense and the offense showing signs. lots of line value when you compare this line to the Buffalo minus their star line ... it implies a humongous spread when Buffalo hosts MOH. MOH is a good little team but sits at 3-4 with road trips to NIU and Buffalo and a home game to ohio still remaining on that schedule. This is an extremely important game to MOH's bowl eligibility chances and they are playing their best ball of the year.

Virginia - Duke is struggling a little on offense right now but has been getting fortunate. 304 total yards against GT and were outgained in their 14 pt win, 327 yards in their loss to VT, outgained by a yard against baylor and somehow had 40 pts on 399 yards, 14 first downs and 301 yards in the win against NW and were outgained there too and they had 381 yards while slightly outgaining Army in that victory. Basically this team is South Carolina from last year in some respects. They play great defense (Like Scary did) and they are catching a lot of breaks (Jones injury aside). UVA playing really solid football almost all year. The two teams seem evenish to me. Nice to see this game mean something ... I like both these programs. In any event it should be a low scoring game and UVA should be right there in the fourth with a chance to win.

UTEP - I am hearing from reliable sources they have a shot

SMU - Held an option attack to 23 pts in regulation earlier in the year, Again a situation where the team desperately needs the win if they want a shot at bowl eligibility. SMU might be better than we think having played UCF, Michigan, TCU and at UNT already this year. SMU QB hicks threw for 375 yards on them last year and is getting major defensive class relief as Tulane is giving up big yards per attempt in their pass defense. The concern here is the revenge from last year but this seems to line up well. And as much as SMU is desperate for a win to sniff bowl eligibility, so is Tulane. This should be a dandy of a football game and I for one am excited to watch it.

NCST - I have a lot posted in my thread about this one but vet qb vs inexperienced qb, clemson secondary maybe not as good as normal, ncst rush defense is pretty good which would force the kid to beat them, ncsu confident against clemson.

Wake Forest - They might be able to score in this spot and you never know what you are going to get with FSU

ULL - What? Ya I said it. Jalin Moore, who is App St best weapon is out for the year. This ULL team has a good offense. They laid an egg against Coastal Carolina with just 381 ...but 310 vs Miss St, and 288 vs bama. In the last couple weeks against lessers they are just putting up huge numbers. I think they can score quite a bit on App State here and with the injuries and the QB of App State still at least a small question mark in my mind, I could see ULL pulling off a shocker in a shootout. The ULL ATS is probably my favorite play of the week.

Purdue - Have some skill guys and some QB's and a play caller that might be able to generate pts against that Buckeye defense. I keep waiting for Ohio State to wake up and have a huge game where they put it all together but it hasn't happened yet with their inability to control either line of scrimmage. Obviously Purdue will be pumped under the lights (UTL Weeno)

Old Dominion - I am probably playing them. I would be lying if I said I had any clue what so ever as to what will happen in this game. That makes me think the 5ish point dog play has some value.

Vanderbilt - It feels like an absolute nightmare spot for Vanderbilt but this is a pretty significant line to be laying for that offense against the Dores defense. Will Vandy be able to shrug off their choke job last week and show up against what will be an inspired UK team? eh Maybe not. Just know that UK is not the kind of offensive team that is gonna run away and hide on Vanderbilt in most cases.

USC - I saw some signs of spirit from USC last week. Their defense is starting to play at a high level and the QB/OC are getting more comfortable taking shots down the field. Team is certainly capable of competing in this one and the UTAH performance last week will have their attention. Utah defense could make life pretty tough on USC though. Interesting game. Very interesting game. Should be a great watch.

Nevada - Better team getting points is always worth a look imo.

Terps - No doubt Iowa has been playing good football but so has Maryland for the most part. And Iowa has been beating up on bad teams or teams in bad spots (Indiana last week). Iowa has been forced to throw more and Stanley has done great doing it but Terps pass defense isn't bad at all (held rutgers to 8 yards passing, bg and minny under 200 and have yet to give up a 300 yard passing game. Terps will have to find a few first downs against the tough Iowa rush defense. With both defenses matching up well against the strength of the opponents offense, the under looks extremely solid and that makes me think that Terps are hanging around at a minimum. Teams are pretty even in reality ..... so lots of value on that ML

Miami Ohio - Should be a competitive game throughout with MOH having a decent rush defense and the offense showing signs. lots of line value when you compare this line to the Buffalo minus their star line ... it implies a humongous spread when Buffalo hosts MOH. MOH is a good little team but sits at 3-4 with road trips to NIU and Buffalo and a home game to ohio still remaining on that schedule. This is an extremely important game to MOH's bowl eligibility chances and they are playing their best ball of the year.

Virginia - Duke is struggling a little on offense right now but has been getting fortunate. 304 total yards against GT and were outgained in their 14 pt win, 327 yards in their loss to VT, outgained by a yard against baylor and somehow had 40 pts on 399 yards, 14 first downs and 301 yards in the win against NW and were outgained there too and they had 381 yards while slightly outgaining Army in that victory. Basically this team is South Carolina from last year in some respects. They play great defense (Like Scary did) and they are catching a lot of breaks (Jones injury aside). UVA playing really solid football almost all year. The two teams seem evenish to me. Nice to see this game mean something ... I like both these programs. In any event it should be a low scoring game and UVA should be right there in the fourth with a chance to win.

UTEP - I am hearing from reliable sources they have a shot

SMU - Held an option attack to 23 pts in regulation earlier in the year, Again a situation where the team desperately needs the win if they want a shot at bowl eligibility. SMU might be better than we think having played UCF, Michigan, TCU and at UNT already this year. SMU QB hicks threw for 375 yards on them last year and is getting major defensive class relief as Tulane is giving up big yards per attempt in their pass defense. The concern here is the revenge from last year but this seems to line up well. And as much as SMU is desperate for a win to sniff bowl eligibility, so is Tulane. This should be a dandy of a football game and I for one am excited to watch it.

NCST - I have a lot posted in my thread about this one but vet qb vs inexperienced qb, clemson secondary maybe not as good as normal, ncst rush defense is pretty good which would force the kid to beat them, ncsu confident against clemson.

Wake Forest - They might be able to score in this spot and you never know what you are going to get with FSU

ULL - What? Ya I said it. Jalin Moore, who is App St best weapon is out for the year. This ULL team has a good offense. They laid an egg against Coastal Carolina with just 381 ...but 310 vs Miss St, and 288 vs bama. In the last couple weeks against lessers they are just putting up huge numbers. I think they can score quite a bit on App State here and with the injuries and the QB of App State still at least a small question mark in my mind, I could see ULL pulling off a shocker in a shootout. The ULL ATS is probably my favorite play of the week.

Purdue - Have some skill guys and some QB's and a play caller that might be able to generate pts against that Buckeye defense. I keep waiting for Ohio State to wake up and have a huge game where they put it all together but it hasn't happened yet with their inability to control either line of scrimmage. Obviously Purdue will be pumped under the lights (UTL Weeno)

Old Dominion - I am probably playing them. I would be lying if I said I had any clue what so ever as to what will happen in this game. That makes me think the 5ish point dog play has some value.

Vanderbilt - It feels like an absolute nightmare spot for Vanderbilt but this is a pretty significant line to be laying for that offense against the Dores defense. Will Vandy be able to shrug off their choke job last week and show up against what will be an inspired UK team? eh Maybe not. Just know that UK is not the kind of offensive team that is gonna run away and hide on Vanderbilt in most cases.

USC - I saw some signs of spirit from USC last week. Their defense is starting to play at a high level and the QB/OC are getting more comfortable taking shots down the field. Team is certainly capable of competing in this one and the UTAH performance last week will have their attention. Utah defense could make life pretty tough on USC though. Interesting game. Very interesting game. Should be a great watch.

Nevada - Better team getting points is always worth a look imo.

I have only run through the line card a couple times this week, but I can say that you hit on every one I was thinking of.

I even thought of UTEP....for a second... but actually you know what LaTech can be a little schizo at times...wouldn't be a total shock really.

Only exception is Indiana. What you see there? I don't like that Penn State just lost, that is the primary concern betting on them to lose 3 straight at this point with an IU upset. Can see that game being competitive though.

And I don't think UTEP can win but because my friend (Much better handicapper than me) thinks they can I will have at least something on them for the ml because I cannot allow that to happen without having something on it.

I'd try Indiana and MSU.
I just found an angle supporting Indiana today. It's good to hear that someone more knowledgeable about Penn State is open to the idea.

So, Indiana and NC State for me (will hope to lose the bet, but will have a consolation prize if Clemson's playoff hopes are dashed). What else?

Last edited:
And I don't think UTEP can win but because my friend (Much better handicapper than me) thinks they can I will have at least something on them for the ml because I cannot allow that to happen without having something on it.
Are you old enough to have had something on that BYU game back in '85?

I have only run through the line card a couple times this week, but I can say that you hit on every one I was thinking of.

I even thought of UTEP....for a second... but actually you know what LaTech can be a little schizo at times...wouldn't be a total shock really.

Only exception is Indiana. What you see there? I don't like that Penn State just lost, that is the primary concern betting on them to lose 3 straight at this point with an IU upset. Can see that game being competitive though.
Two straight losses = demoralized.

Penn State @ Indiana: Some SDQL mojo for you guys' Indiana pick....pic 1 shows previous game margins and total offense comparisons and has a 4-1 SU & 4-1 ATS record for the home team. Adding total defense in pic 2 we get 1-0 SU & ATS. Of particular note, I entered the positive turnover margin for IU in pic 1 and it came back as 0-0 SU & ATS in pic 3...in other words, all of these results in pic 1 came with home teams that had a negative turnover margin. It begs the question that, if a team with a negative turnover margin can have such good results, what does that say about the chances for a team with a positive turnover margin?

iu2.jpg

iu1.jpg

iu3.jpg

UTEP @ Louisiana Tech: Home teams are 0-2 SU & 0-2 ATS in this situation. Louisiana Tech has already lost once a this season after coming home off a big road win. FWIW....

utep1.jpg

The greatest upset in the history of the WAC. Only game Utep won all year. I can remember the NFL Today talking about that game the next day.

I tend to agree....this situation produces a 4-0 SU and 0-3-1 ATS record for the home team. Look at those scores how close they are.

smu.jpg

No. I was in high school at the time. Stadium was empty but every resident of the city was at the game...... go figure. Lots of interceptions

incidentally, some of the most hateful comments I ever heard at sporting events were El Pasoans yelling at BYU basketball players. There seemed to be a legitimate dislike for that school in El Paso. I have some theories having lived there but won't share.

Our basketball players took special exception to the sharpness of Shawn Bradley elbows.

After SU wins by UCLA and UL-Monroe last weekend, an ATS win by Nebraska, an ATS loss by NM State, and since the beginning of 2017, road dogs of lines less than 10pts, worse total defense, and both fav & dog have negative turnover margins are currently 19-13 SU and 26-6 ATS. This week we do have a couple hits coming up. It is active on USC and Old Dominion this Saturday. BOL in what you decide Gents!

trend1.jpgtrend2.jpg

I just found an angle supporting Indiana today. It's good to hear that someone more knowledgeable about Penn State is open to the idea.

So, Indiana and NC State for me (will hope to lose the bet, but will have a consolation prize if Clemson's playoff hopes are dashed). What else?

PSU was all out of sorts last week. Illini gave them a game until the 4th quarter. IU has played with them the last few years, they have just self imploded with turnovers and mistakes. IU usually good for one solid win a year, why not this week? PSU is reeling, lots of angst in HV about Franklin, players parents saying its time for him to start blaming himself, OC is regressing, D is inexperienced etc etc. That said, could PSU win by 20 plus, sure. But worth a stab.

One that stood out was Tulane winning big.

Tulane (-7) 32, SMU 23 (Oct. 20, 3:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU)

I found this on that link above, was that it?

The Tulane game is interesting because SMU was the team they lost to on the controversial play at the goal line to end the game that kept them at 5 wins. Now, I don't think there would be anything extra solely based on that, I just think that this Tulane team needs every single win they can possibly get no matter if it is SMU or Tulsa who they crushed. They can not afford to care more about some games and less about others at this point in the year because they need 4 out of 6 no matter who they come against.

Tulane has only played to their potential once this year vs teams their own size that was vs Memphis. They were tied in the 4th qrt at UAB before losing by 7. UAB owned statistical edges. There were a few key plays at Cincy, but Cincy was definitely the better team in that 16 pt loss. So in those 3 games we have seen the best Tulane has to offer, something close to the worst and something in between. Really they are just an average team at best. It's weird, they have only been in the RZ 11x this year, 3rd worst in the nation ahead of just Wyoming and Akron. Tulane has gotten some big play TDs to offset their poor RZ numbers compared to some of those other bad teams they share company with there. They just have trouble getting pts sometimes without big plays. Only 14 first downs vs UAB and Cincy. Putting a scoring drive together without a big play is not something they have proven to be especially good at.

It is hard to know what you get with SMU. Would rate them below average yes. I feel like they are definitely better than they were early September, but still a work in progress with alot of work left to do. Brown at QB should make them better, but he also is really raw and can and will make costly mistakes.

I don't see myself ML SMU. I would think Tulane wins this game....SMU is definitely the weakest AAC team they have played.

Has Tulane made the move to McMillian at QB? Feel like they might be better off for it. For every good game Banks has, he has 2 or 3 bad ones. Will probably be tough for Fritz to make that move. Until they get better OL play it may not matter who the QB is.

I have smu to ticket but in defense of tupane cinci and uab are miles ahead of smu defensively

Having a hard time justifying where my ML money might go this week. Here are a few I'm thinking of:

Miami, Oh +256
Not ideal conditions for Miami, having to face option right in the middle of their key MAC schedule with trip to Buffalo on deck. What Miami does have going for them is they have rebounded from some early season struggles once they got to play some teams their own size. QB Ragland was completing just 54% with 5.5 ypa and 3-2 ratio in the first 3 games vs Marshall, Cincy and Minny. Since then he is 69%, 8.0 ypa, 7-1 ratio last 4 weeks vs BGSU, WMich, Akron and Kent. And Redhawks actually have some balance...avg 212ypg last 4 weeks on the ground. On D, facing the option is another animal, but fundamentally, Mia is pretty sound vs the run and been pretty good at creating negative yardage plays on D. Impressively they held Minny to just 2.68 ypc and the MAC's best rush O Western Michigan was held to 84y below their avg with just 3.3 ypc (Bronco ssn avg is 5.09). It is a veteran group who is playing well on both sides of the ball. Army is nails. But last week was a joke at San Jose with all the turnovers, Knights win vs Buffalo can't be discounted though. I feel like Army often finds itself in close games though and there are plenty of examples of Army playing MAC teams that produced close competitive games - this could be another one.

Ball State +130
Second to last home game and they won't be back til Nov 13th. These teams have been in a ton of one score games...Ball St has played in 4, EMich in 6. This one figures to be another. Both teams playing solid D, I give Ball the O edge. EM hasn't had a conventional run game all year so they have been utilizing QB Glass to manufacture a running game, after coming into games alot, he got his first start last week and played a real good 1st H, problem is he has a knee sprain and although the coaches won't say if he is out or not, he was on crutches during the second half last week and widespread speculation is he is out....even if he wasn't his game is running and he won't be able to run so no reason to play him. That puts the game squarely in Weigers hands who can be ok when given time, but when pressured he struggles. Ball St is decent at getting pressure and EM is bad in allowing it. So EM will have to gameplan around that, or they could utilize some yet to be seen young running QB. Some mystery here. I do not anticipate EM being flat, but it should be noted that beating Toledo, getting that Mouse off their back was a huge game last week (had lost 11 straight to UT) and they did beat Ball St by 42 last year, so the chance for that is there. Both teams need this game and both teams have solid defenses, I'll side with the better O and urgency of making the most of 1 of 2 remaining home games.

Charlotte +664
I kind of stumbled upon Charlotte last week and while I do not want to overreact to their win vs a bad WKU team, this Charlotte team probably isn't as bad as people might think. They have a decent run D, App ST only ran for 139 and 3.9ypc. For the season they are allowing just 92ypg and 3.3ypc. They aren't great at defending the pass, but what is Stockstill's health? His ankle injury was bad enough that he couldn't return in an important game at FIU last week. His backup is a little limited throwing and more of a runner. So that is an interesting angle considering what this point spread and odds are. Assuming no Stockstill it is hard to justify this number I think. Adding to the intregue Charlotte will have a new QB making first start with Reynolds injury last week, Miami, Fl transfer Sherriffs steps in. He was good last week vs hapless WKU but the game was already in hand and he wasn't asked to do much or faced any kind of pressure. Hasn't ever really done much so hard to gauge him in terms of expectations here. Alot of the MTSU stats are bad, but have to take them with a grain of salt considering their schedule. They did allow an FIU team not known for passing prowess to go for 311. And FAU ran for 272, Marshall for 209. Charlotte not very consistent with their run game, but LeMay is a decent back. With last week's loss this is a really big game for MTSU to keep pace in the East and I expect them to play like it, but, actually, Charlotte, whether real or not, 49ers may believe they have something to play for too, they are also 2-1 in league play like MTSU. Can't really remember Charlotte kids believing they had something to play for, kind of makes 6.6:1 worth a small shot, maybe.

Kent State +184
Full disclosure I have been riding Kent ATS the last 3 weeks and have gone 1-2 in those. There is something I see in Kent that keeps me coming back. And sometimes there are things that should make me stay away. This is just Kent's 3rd home game of the year and I like the idea of taking a new head coach trying to create a new identity at home for a rivalry game, the Wagon Wheel vs Akron. Kent has some life in them. Could've beat Ohio last home game, actually if you count Howard, Kent is 2-0 ATS at home this year. Not sure what there is to like about Akron. The offense is just offensive. Just 235 yards last week at Buffalo, just 259 yards two weeks ago against Miami. Granted those are better teams than Kent. Akron's D is supposed to be their strength, but they allowed over 400y to each of those and Kent does have alot of potential on O. Not consistent and error prone, but when they get it right, there are things Kent can do on O that gives them a shot here. There is just nothing that Akron does well and I get that they are favored because Kent historically isn't good. Last year Akron won by 10, but Zips had just 191 yards of O in that one, Kent outgained them (a much worse Kent O than 2018 version). Two years ago Akron won by 4 with 7 lead changes. I want to buy what Sean Lewis is selling for this game, bye on deck, this seriously is their superbowl vs their #1 rival.

UTEP +1098
VK planted a seed on this one. I saw it and kinda thought about it for a minute like I normally do on ugly dog specials. UTEP is a little more than just an ugly dog though, this team has played some decent games unlike some prior editions. Only lost to North Texas by 3, what? Did what a team should do vs bad offenses, held UTSA to 278y and NMSt to 311y. Miners actually outgained both those teams in losing by 7 and 11 pts. North Texas only outgained them by 11. What in the name of Dana Dimel is going on here? Well, the challege gets tougher this week playing a talented and experienced LaTech team. Don't believe there are any real edges in this game, LaTech will have to come out with a B-game type effort. They do have FAU on deck if they think there are bigger fish to fry. When, or if, one bets against LaTech, the hope if for a WTF game out of J'Mar Smith and from time-to-time he delivers. He's not the most efficient or most accurate, so that is something UTEP will have to count on. Maybe LaTech already had that game this year, no shame in losing to UAB. Understatement alert, this would be fairly surprising. Feel like UTEP is playing better ball (even look back to the Tennessee game) compared to years past. This team appears to have bought in, hoping for a productive and reenergizing off week. Need to check health of Locksley.

ULL +1243
Going to give VK some props on this one too. When I started looking at it, I really started to like it. Can anyone guess the highest rated QB in the Sun Belt? How about Andre Nunez the Sr QB for ULaLa! He is 68%, 8.8 ypa with 11-4 ratio. App St QB Thomas is #2 rated passer by the way. Anyone know what RB has the highest ypg in the Sun Belt? Trey Ragas with 99.83 ypg...7.0 ypc vs Miss St...6.9 ypc vs Bama...6.6 ypc for the year. They also have a guy Calais who is avg 8.7 ypc on 34 att. Anyone know who has the most TD receptions in the Sun Belt? Ja'Marcus Bradley...6 TDs on just 17rec (16.71 ypc). So this team has some weapons. Everything is new for ULL this year with Napier in charge and they seem to be responding well...did lose by 2 vs Coastal Carolina, but the last 2 weeks took care of business vs bad teams they should've beat. Obviously the challenge gets much much tougher this week and App has shown ability to dispatch lesser foes (45-9 vs Charlotte, 52-7 vs South Bama). Last year App St won 63-14 vs a demoralized Cajuns team so alot of improvement is needed here to close that kind of gap. Generally doubt any look-ahead for App St, but they do travel to Georgia Southern on a short week coming up, so a chance, a small chance they may be putting some work in on that game just because they are playing a team they beat by 7 TDs last year and GaSouthern is 3-0 Sun Belt, 5-1 overall. Coaching staff probably smarter than that, but you never know. This game will require something out of the ordinary to occur here because ULL ain't just matching up in this one, but it does appear to a higher degree of possibility than your run-of-the-mill 25 pt dog.

I may have some more thoughts tomorrow.

I think I made Latech -24 s--k.
Someone better than me likes utep and told me he thought they had a shot at a win.
So I bet them and will be adding a little moneyline.

I don't mind taking the blame if they lose by 38 but don't want to take credit for it if they win. I am straight tailing someone.

Charlotte @ MTSU: My hats off to you @s--k !! I think you have probably found the best bet of the weekend right here. I did my normal comparisons of previous game margins, turnovers, total O and total D and found the home teams have done very badly in this situation. They have a SU record of 1-6 in SDQL database history. This is the only game in the results that is a big fav. All the rest are dogs except one small fav. This tells me, fwiw, that this line is possibly very wrong. My one concern is we are not the only ones who have stumbled upon this game as it looks like Charlotte is a very Public dog. But hell, even the Public wins sometimes, right? Thanks again for your post and go 49rs!

char1.jpg

Charlotte @ MTSU: My hats off to you @s--k !! I think you have probably found the best bet of the weekend right here. I did my normal comparisons of previous game margins, turnovers, total O and total D and found the home teams have done very badly in this situation. They have a SU record of 1-6 in SDQL database history. This is the only game in the results that is a big fav. All the rest are dogs except one small fav. This tells me, fwiw, that this line is possibly very wrong. My one concern is we are not the only ones who have stumbled upon this game as it looks like Charlotte is a very Public dog. But hell, even the Public wins sometimes, right? Thanks again for your post and go 49rs!

View attachment 35413

It is definitely an interesting game with the QB unknowns on both sides. Little point spread respect for improvement that Charlotte has shown. MTSU was -13.5 there last year, 16.5 now. MTSU did win that one 35-21 after leading 28-7. I remember having MTSU in that one and getting nervous as MTSU didn't do much in the 2nd H and UC got it going better. This line just implies to me they think Stockstill is playing. His running ability has always been a big part of his game especially when the play breaks down and they need to move the chains. Stockstill can run with reckless abandon. Will he be able to now? He got hurt on the 1st play of the 2nd qrt when FIU rolled up on him from behind. Game was 3-0 FIU lead at the time. Fact he could not return tells me something. We just don't know what the recoup has been this week. MTSU hasn't said.

The backup O'Hara is a JUCO, didn't have any offers out of high school. Only MTSU and Souther ILL offered him out of JUCO last year. So he isn't exactly highly regarded. That isn't to say that ordinary people can't rise to the occasion, but talent evaluators have passed on him. Being thrown into action last week he went 9-20-114-0-1 and ran 21att-85-TD in 3 quarters.

One other thing, MT S Moffatt will miss the 1st H due to targeting. He is one of their best defenders.

Couple others I'm considering:

Oregon State +241
Oregon State has shown life this year but faded in their last 2 games to turn close contests into lopsided scores...they trailed by 7 in the 2nd qrt, then Arizona St went up by 14 and OSU was SOD at the A06 and Beavs lost by 28. They had a 30-28 3rd qrt lead vs Wash St, then trailing by 12 they fumbled into the EZ for a touchback and lost by 19. This Oregon St team can do some things on O; they ran for 261 vs ASU and 276 vs WSU. WSU only outgained them by 33 yards. QB Blount is hitting 65.6% on the year, 7.9ypa, 7-1 ratio. Problem for the Beavs is the D and it is bad. But California O is playing bad football. Bears have turned it over 14x in the last 3 games, 19 on the year. QB McIllwain has a 1-7 ratio since he became the primary QB 3 weeks ago. After playing plenty off the bench, he became the primary QB after Fr Gabers went 4-9-44y with 2 INTs vs Oregon. 2017 starter and week 1 QB Ross Bowers was pulled for more mobile options plus he has a thumb injury and hasn’t seen the field since week 1. They could go back to Gabers this week or rotate like they did in weeks 2/3. Either way, Cal’s QB situation isn’t great. The two leading receivers are back from ‘17, Wharton and Noa, but their yards per catch are down 4.5-3 yards per reception. RB Laird has a ypc down 2 yards per carry compared to last year. They aren’t getting enough out of the conventional running game that is why they want the running QBs in there. Cal O has just 19 plays of 20 yards or more (ranks 121st). Oregon State O by comparison ranks 13th in 20+y plays. Cal has a better D than O. OSU has a better O than D. Reasons for optimism with Jonathan Smith at the helm here, they just need to play 4 quarters and not 2-1/2 – 3-1/2. Could be the week that Cal figures it out and plays a clean game on O vs poor Ore St D. Or it could be the week that all Ore St’s yards and trips to the RZ convert to points and they win. Don’t think it is that unlikely Beavers win vs a struggling Cal team. Cal has lost 14 straight PAC12 road games.

Purdue +351
I think I want this one to happen more than it actually has a chance to. Purdue has shown big play ability, 39 20+y plays (ranks 19th) ranked next to the likes of Clemson. Ohio State giving up big plays, 35 20+y, ranks 99th with the likes of Coastal Carolina. Good look for Purdue, bad look for Bucks. Purdue has padded the stats vs lesser competition and even if OSU D isn’t playing sound fundamental football it is going to get a lot tougher for the Boilers here. Blough has been good though, 68%-9.1ypa-10-2 ratio. Passed for 572 on Mizzou. And then PU can run too, 8ypc vs NW, avg 5.25 ypc for the year. Rondale Moore leads with 45rec as they try and get him touches (only 9 rush att but 15+ypc). So this Purdue O has some tools. If the O can continue to have success they’ve enjoyed this year, the onus is going to fall on this D to play the game of their lives, because they are going to need the game of their lives. I wouldn’t call the Purdue D bad, but vs a team with weapons like Ohio State that spreads the field and can win any number of ways, Boiler D will have to penetrate better, tackle better and get off the field better, just do everything better than they have at any point this year vs a quality opponent. Hard to see PU D winning these battles consistently. There is something about when an elite blue blood travels to a play a team like Purdue that is up and coming and hungry...I just get excited. Because I love upsets and I love top teams losing when they aren’t supposed to. The fact that Ohio State has played down to their competition the last 2 weeks and are underachieving concerns me because they have the ability to play better and if the coaching staff gets the most out of them this week, they could win easily, like it isn't even a game. I think Ohio St will be motivated as much as Purdue and that worries me for the upset. Really, when I started dreaming of this upset this summer I figured OSU would come in here fat and happy. Instead people are doubting them and they've won ugly last 2 weeks as big favorites. But if we get the OSU team that played ugly vs IU and Min and we get an A game out of Purdue, upset could be in the cards. Personalities are what they are and I really like the Brohm/Holt macho act vs CUM and staff. Their egos are on the line, biggest game of Brohm's career. I like that.

One other one I forgot:

Indiana +447
Last year Indiana had 209-145 1st H yard edge, yet trailed 28-0 1st qrt before making it 28-14 HT. PSU scooped-and-scored a fumbled punt. IU stopped them but roughed punter and PSU continued on for TD. PSU recovered fumble at I38 and got short field TD. Plus PSU ran opening KO back for TD. IU's O struggled in the 2nd H. Hoosiers bottled up Barkley, McSorley passed for 315 (but was sacked 5x). PSU only outgained them by 18 yards. In 2016 IU bottled up Barkley again, holding him to ssn low 58y in week 11. IU would fumble 5x! One fumble was at IU06, the final fumble came with :29 left at the IU09 which PSU ran in for a D TD to win by 14. IU outgained them 454-409.

A couple really frustrating games for IU.

Before their 21-17 loss to MSU and 27-26 loss to Ohio State this PSU team was thumping teams by a 222-105 margin. Boy that seems like a long time ago now. Even in some of those...in the 1st H....vs App St it was tied 10-10, vs Pitt PSU only led 14-6, vs Kent PSU only led 28-10, vs ILL PSU only led 21-17 (trailed in the 3rd)....73-43 combined score in teh first halves. What PSU did was really turn it up in the second halves of those games and pulled away from bad teams in weeks 2-4. In all their games, the only one you could say PSU just dominated start to finish would be Kent and Kent is Kent so...

Not sure where this PSU team's head is right now, after blowing the Ohio State game, then going into their bye week thinking they could be elite and coming out and losing to a 2-3 Mich St team as a DD fav. That is the problem when everything gets built up to one game and that game and the goals associated with winning that game are lost what is left?

I know one thing, Indiana is very hungry for a break-through win. Want-to doesn't win games, but if we are weighing the drive and emotion of these two teams, I do not question Indiana's. This is their only marque home game left.

The game for IU was disappointing last week, they did not compete well. I think that sets up well for a circle the wagons moment here in their 2nd of a back-to-back homestand. Containing McSorely assuming he is running around alot is the biggest challenge I see. This is the third time they have played against him and have held up pretty well...it isn't like PSU has been driving the length of the field on them, it isn't like PSU is just manhandling IU D. It seems to me that IU has had some pretty good gameplans for facing PSU, but turnovers are ruined it all. And they could again, some teams just can't get turnovers under control and an opponent just has their number.

Indiana feels about the same this year as they did in 2016 and 2017...IU really hasn't been good on O since 2015 so the 2016 and 2017 teams were transitioning to more of a D oriented team which is what this team is as well. Last year the line was 18 in Happy Valley, 2016 it was 7 in Bloomington. Those were better Penn State teams.

If, a big if, if Indiana can avoid turnovers I think they can play heads up with PSU and this game goes down to the 4th qrt and at that point I'd take a chance on a 2 TD home dog to pull out a win.

UL-Lafayette @ Appy State: Yikes boys. I don't have any SDQL that would support your Louisiana pick. On the contrary, my SDQL says Appy State ain't slowing down anytime soon. Home teams are 4-0 SU & 4-0 ATS in this situation according to my favorite parameters. BOL to you guys if you play it and major kudos if it hits!

appystate3.jpg

Back