**** Week 7 Discussion****

Seahawks@Rams

Since Pete Carroll took over as coach of the Hawks, these 2 teams have gone 7-1 to Under (30.37 ppg) in their 8 meetings, with the Rams averaging 12.0 ppg (10.25 ppg @home). Over these 8 meetings the losing team has never scored more than 13 pts (SEA 2 losses & STL 6). So immediately the HtH stats between these 2 teams points strongly to an Under. This is further backed up by a defensive bounce back trend that applies for the Hawks in this game. In losing to the Cowboys, the Hawks conceded 30 pts.

Since Carroll took over as coach, here's what the Hawks numbers look like playing off a game in which they conceded 20+ pts, and subsquently facing an NFC opponent:

2010-11 & 2011-12
ATS ..... 7-3
O/U ..... 7-3
PPGA ... 22.30

Since 2012-13
ATS ..... 7-1
O/U ..... 2-6
PPGA ... 12.50

Under Carroll, the Hawks have from day 1 consistently shown up ATS off a poor (by their standards) defensive effort. But since 2012, that ATS consistency has been accompanied by a noticable improvement in their defensive efforts. So, off conceding 30 pts to the Boys, they're in a spot where over the last 2 & a bit seasons they've conceded barely more than 12 pts - all but what the Rams individually have averaged against them since Carroll arrived at the helm.

Just to note: the reason why I singled out their playing an NFC opp. off such an outing, and not included AFC opponents is for the following reason (which I expand on here because beyond this particular game it's watching out for in the weks to come) -

2010-11 & 2011-12: points conceded
vs. AFC
19 pts or less ....... 2 ..... 25.0% rate
20 pts or more ..... 6

vs. NFC
19 pts or less ....... 11 ... 42.3% rate
20 pts or more ..... 15

Since 2012-13: points conceded
vs. AFC
19 pts or less ....... 5 ..... 45.4% rate
20 pts or more ..... 6

vs. NFC
19 pts or less ....... 23 ... 74.1% rate
20 pts or more ..... 8

Where the Hawks defense has shown a significant improvement in restricting NFC sides to 19 pts or less since the 2012-13 season, they're still putting in subpar efforts by comparison against AFC teams (indeed, their prior rate from their 'bad defensive era' vs. NFC teams is almost identical to their current rate from their 'good defensive era' vs. AFC teams). These 2 teams have played twice @STL with the Hawks in this spot of having conceded 20+ pts in their previous game: Once in the 2010-11/11-12 period (Rams won 20-3), and once since 2012 (Hawks won 14-9 on MNF).

The Hawks being off a SU loss here would be my one concern with playing the FG Under, since the only Over between these 2 teams w/Carroll as coach was a Hawks 30-13 win @STL in late 2011. The typical kind of game where the quality team with a bee in its bonnet delivers the Over almost entirely by themselves: with only a 42.5 line in this seemingly new era of higher scoring, it can hardly be ruled out. If I could, I'd opt for the Rams TT Under, but I don't have the option. So I'm on the fence between FG Under & Hawks ATS, and I hate being on the fence (you choose 1, and it's doubly bad news if you lose & the non-pick wins), so I'll prob. end up not betting.

-----

Oh, in the Carroll era the Hawks are 3-1-1 ATS & 4-1 to Over (25.40 ppga) on the road off a home loss. The kicker is that every one of those games comes before the 2012-13 season (which means they all precede that significant improvement in the Hawks defense).

Andy Reid off a bye is a crazy 13-2. Leaning KC.

0-2 SU and ATS L2 and 11 of those 15 games were at home:

[TABLE="width: 599"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Date[/TD]
[TD]Day[/TD]
[TD]Week[/TD]
[TD]Season[/TD]
[TD]Team[/TD]
[TD]Opp[/TD]
[TD]Site[/TD]
[TD]Final[/TD]
[TD]Line[/TD]
[TD]Total[/TD]
[TD]SUr[/TD]
[TD]ATSr[/TD]
[TD]OUr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2-Jan-00[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]17[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1999[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Rams[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]38-31[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]42[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]O[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]24-Dec-00[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]17[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2000[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Bengals[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]16-7[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-10.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]35[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]L[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22-Oct-01[/TD]
[TD]Monday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]7[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2001[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Giants[/TD]
[TD]away[/TD]
[TD]10-9[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]36[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]20-Oct-02[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2002[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Buccaneers[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]20-10[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-3.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]37[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]28-Sep-03[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2003[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Bills[/TD]
[TD]away[/TD]
[TD]23-13[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]40.5[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17-Oct-04[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2004[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Panthers[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]30-8[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-10[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]41.5[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]23-Oct-05[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2005[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Chargers[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]20-17[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-4[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]47[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]L[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12-Nov-06[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]10[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2006[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Redskins[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]27-3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-8[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]41.5[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14-Oct-07[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2007[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Jets[/TD]
[TD]away[/TD]
[TD]16-9[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-4[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]26-Oct-08[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2008[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Falcons[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]27-14[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-9[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]45[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11-Oct-09[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2009[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Buccaneers[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]33-14[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-15[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]O[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7-Nov-10[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]9[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2010[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Colts[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]26-24[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]46.5[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]L[/TD]
[TD]O[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]30-Oct-11[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2011[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Cowboys[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]34-7[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]48.5[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]W[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]28-Oct-12[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2012[/TD]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]Falcons[/TD]
[TD]home[/TD]
[TD]17-30[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-2.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]45.5[/TD]
[TD]L[/TD]
[TD]L[/TD]
[TD]O[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17-Nov-13[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]11[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2013[/TD]
[TD]Chiefs[/TD]
[TD]Broncos[/TD]
[TD]away[/TD]
[TD]17-27[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]49[/TD]
[TD]L[/TD]
[TD]L[/TD]
[TD]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]19-Oct-14[/TD]
[TD]Sunday[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2014[/TD]
[TD]Chiefs[/TD]
[TD]Chargers[/TD]
[TD]away[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]45[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

If I could, I'd opt for the Rams TT Under, but I don't have the option. So I'm on the fence between FG Under & Hawks ATS, and I hate being on the fence (you choose 1, and it's doubly bad news if you lose & the non-pick wins), so I'll prob. end up not betting.

BOL today. Fisher and the Rams have never lost four in a row.

Seems like a decent spot for Steelers. They got their home and away out of the way with Browns. Last week was bad spot. Lost a miracle to TB. Tough fought away win at Jax looks better now as well as Raven loss. Oilers off two "good" losses and no notable wins. They have poor passing game and really not that strong of a defense. They must be thrilled they are 3-3. Clowney spectacle tonight. Im sure he gets used on a big play. Steelers have to win as they have Colts and ravens on deck. Oilers have shitty Tenny. Gotta think Steelers get it done.

Plus it looks a little like the Dan Pastorinis are a bit of a public road dog and off a key number. Take it with a grain of salt, the NFL sometimes is like Mandarin to me or things occur like last night that in hindsight are perfectly obvious

I just watched the Gruden/Tirico preview for game. If you watch it you will come away thinking Oilers are free money as Steeler defense is in shambles. Maybe they are right or maybe just conventional wisdom.

Houston and Pitt look pretty even right now, both mediocre teams. So 3 points for Pitt home field seems about right. The +3.5 probably did/does have value.

That being said, Fitzpatrick is a ticking time bomb. If Houston had any semblance of a QB, they'd be a wild card threat. With Fitzpatrick, they are like all of the other teams with bad QB play -- unpredictable.

Depending on the weather, it's tough not to consider the OVER 44 here considering all of these primetime games have plenty of scoring. It might just be a coincidence, but some people have said the NFL wants high scoring national tv games to improve viewership. As such, we see a lot of penalties to entice scoring. Through 7 weeks, that theory is starting to become truth.

Lets talk about monday night football

While its been a PT season of repeated blowout results, the one time slot that's been least prone to the trend has been MNF. TNF & SNF have, in a combined 14 games, produced just 4 results decided by 10 pts or less (avg. winning margin of 20.28 ppg). MNF has, in just 7 games, produced the same number of games decided by 10 pts or less (avg. winning margin of 12.0 ppg, & if SF hadn't managed a pick 6 inside the last minute of last week's game then that would drop to 11.0 ppg).

This reality can be viewed in another way: the SU winners on TNF & SNF have combined to averaged 36.5 ppg, whereas the SU winner on MNF has averaged 29.85 ppg (almost a full TD lower than the avg. for the other 2 timeslots). Obv. the fewer pts the winner scores, the closer the final margin is likely to be.

The NFL has generally been avoiding the truly boring blowouts in its prized timeslot.

I just watched the Gruden/Tirico preview for game. If you watch it you will come away thinking Oilers are free money as Steeler defense is in shambles. Maybe they are right or maybe just conventional wisdom.
Before the KC/NE game a few weeks ago, Gruden talked about how the NE offensive line was struggling bad. And you know how that game turned out. Just saying......

Back