Week 7 B1G...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
This is slowing turning into a mess... and no I am not referring to the Michigan season...the conference in general...

A few quick bullet points...

-Minnesota has already cancelled for this week.
-Michigan paused activities yesterday. The only thing they have done well this year is the Covid battle. Word on the street is that a lot of the positive tests are false negatives. As of late last night, the game vs Maryland was expected to be played.
-Ohio State obviously didn't play last week and needs to play the next two weeks in order to get that playoff spot.
-Oh man, Northwestern, what in good lord are you doing last week? That is a bad loss. And no, I am not underestimating Michigan State. That is a good win though, good for their kids.
-The Iowa QB showed some youngness last week and I feel that game plan at times was not the best (from what I saw).
-I feel terrible for Penix. This is two years running now.
-Rutgers just plays hard. This has been a good story in the conference this season.
-Back to Michigan, it is obviously a mess. Injuries upon injuries and good ole bad chemistry is back. You could possibly see Dan Villari this week at the QB position.
-Good for Penn State to get a win but that doesn't mean things are all rosy. The end of season schedule though could be a nice boost for them and give them a bit of a shot in the arm.

Onto this week...

Penn State is now a double-digit favorite? That might be a bit of an overreaction. With that being said, Rutgers is due for a letdown after the past few weeks...

Who is the Indiana backup? I literally do not know. What a bummer, that would have been a great game to watch this week.

Tough to lay DD's with Iowa but Illinois is pretty bad.

Obviously I need to hopefully figure out what the story is with Buckeye players out with virus. With that being said, they should wallop Michigan State. I layed the points already and will wait weather out for possible TT's/halves etc. This reeks of 47-14 all day long. At this point, it is style points time to be honest...

I'll get more into Mich/Mary as status of the game is clearer as well as injuries. With that being said, the opener of +7 was a gift. This game is off the board right now but in any case you have to expect Maryland to win outright as long as they have a healthy team.

Nebraska and Purdue should be a competitive game.

Obviously next week is rivalry week all around the conference. It will be very interesting to see how many games get cancelled the next two weeks and what adjustments may be made on the 19th...

Wild year everyone, all I can say at this point.

Penn State is now a double-digit favorite? That might be a bit of an overreaction. With that being said, Rutgers is due for a letdown after the past few weeks...

The line probably makes sense from a power rating standpoint though. Michigan was -12 at Rutgers and last week Mich / Penn St were about a 1 pt favorite over eachother, basically even, so looking at it that way it isn't surprising that Penn State might be favored similarly over Rutgers as Michigan was. While one could say the Michigan line vs Rutgers was too high, Penn State just beat Michigan implying they should/could be favored by more than Michigan was. That doesn't take into account how hard Rutgers has been playing this year. Seems like PRs and oddsmakers are sometimes slow to adjust for such things.

I feel like the Wisconsin line of 14.5 over Indiana is too high even given that Penix is out. That is a lot and I have really hard time thinking that this IU bunch isn't going to step up for the absence with everyone else raising their game. That and I generally do not regard this Wisconsin team very high. Matchup wise, if IU is going to just try and run and ugly it up, the Badgers will handle that.

Backup IU QB is Jake Tuttle, Utah transfer. I don't know much other than he's been there a couple years after transferring in. On the assuming he has some talent and skill, I will take IU and the points this week. If Tuttle doesn't have the tools, I will lose and so will the Hoosiers special season.

Penix completed just 2 of his first 15 passes, going 6 of 19 for 84 yards prior to injury. Wow.

Indiana's recent games vs Wisconsin are ugly! UW has won 10 straight by an average of 36 ppg! Although they don't play every year and considering some of the gains Indiana has made on defense in recent years under Allen, the history might not be very predictive.

2017 #4 UW(-13.5) 45-17
2013 #17 UW(-24) 51-3
2012 6-3 UW(-7) 62-14
2011 #4 UW (-40) 59-7
2010 #6 UW(22.5) 83-20
2009 #24 UW(-11) 31-28
2008 4-5 UW(-9.5) 55-20
2007 6-2 UW(-9) 33-3
2006 3-1 UW(-11.5) 52-17
2005 3-1 UW(-17.5) 41-24
2002 5-1 UW(-11) 29-32
2001 3-2 UW(-14.5) 32-63 (Randle El)

My only two cents is regarding tOSU situation, needing to get these games in being an absolute must for them next 2 weeks. I hear (not necessarily here) a lot of talk people saying tOSU is screwed etc etc. I don't think a lot of people realize there is an absolute shit ton of money to be made if they get these 2 games in (simply assuming they win them), not just for tOSU, but, the entire conference, each team/school individually. Insane $$$'s. That doesn't mean something won't screw things up, but, I'm pretty sure all teams involved, conference officials, etc will do everything they possibly can (even if it means bending rules, sweeping a few things under the rug) to make sure tOSU gets these final 2 games (wins) in, especially with all the revenues lost to due to Covid this year and probably at least spring and possibly fall next year as well.

Michigan could actually keep its arch-rival OSU out of the playoffs. Just cancel that final game and then Michigan gets to celebrate its rival's demise and dejection.

That would be pretty awesome. Talk about the ultimate rivalry dick move! But the Big Ten (and Michigan) would lose out on the playoff money without a participant. Still, would be pretty great.

Purdue's leading tackler, David Barnes was ejected for targeting in the 3rd Q. He had started 29 games.

We got the two teams big ten refs hate the most in West Lafayette. Zero holds called against nebraska opponents all year. Another huge hold called against us at exactly the right time to fuck us. Purdue been getting raped by the officials the last two weeks.

OSU will be a blind play for sure, if they play. Huge let down for Sparty and OSU style points. BAR touched on it, no need to elaborate. Only way to play it.

Not really getting that Rutgers line. One team plays hard, one doesnt. M stinks, PSU win not that impressive. They still stink this year, just have to turn them over. Clifford played pretty flawless last week, I wouldnt bet on that for two weeks. Rutgers Super Bowl is vs PSU each year, not expecting a let down. More likely let down for PSU, finally winning and winning at M. What are they playing for now? 3-5? Does that get them bowling this year since all are eligible? No clue and no clue if there are enough bowls.

Maryland is an obvious play catching any points. That said, dont get the Maryland offense last week. They continue to be the most puzzling team in the B1G over the last few years, box of chocolates. Nothing else really needs to be said about M, cancel the OSU game, I'll be happy. Fake dead if you have to, easy to do since the team has no pulse this year.

Terps were without two starting WR Jarret, Jones, starting RB Funk, and starting C Jones and starting guard. Their pass protection suffered and the chemistry and timing was not there with the Receivers. They should be in better shape this week.

Terps were without two starting WR Jarret, Jones, starting RB Funk, and starting C Jones and starting guard. Their pass protection suffered and the chemistry and timing was not there with the Receivers. They should be in better shape this week.
What in the fuck last week?!

dipped my toe back in and Maryland put it in my stink hole....

Big 10 isn’t going to let an undefeated team of theirs get shut out of a conference championship game and potentially the playoffs. Queue some schedule changes coming to get OSU another game, if needed.

Last edited:
Big 10 isn’t going to let an undefeated team of theirs get shut out of a conference championship game and potentially the playoffs. Queue some schedule changes coming to get OSU another game, if needed.
Heard they are trying to change the rules now, making OSU eligible by lowering the minimum. I don’t give a shit how good you are, if you play 5-6 games and others had to play 9-11, you shouldn’t be allowed in playoffs, ever.

Heard they are trying to change the rules now, making OSU eligible by lowering the minimum. I don’t give a shit how good you are, if you play 5-6 games and others had to play 9-11, you shouldn’t be allowed in playoffs, ever.

I don’t think that’s going to happen, but I do think we are going to potentially see some shuffling of some games around so OSU gets to 6.

What in the fuck last week?!

dipped my toe back in and Maryland put it in my stink hole....
Yes, there was no sufficient info out there on which players were effected due to privacy etc...making it a real crap shoot on availability....

I don’t think that’s going to happen, but I do think we are going to potentially see some shuffling of some games around so OSU gets to 6.
So, here's the thing ...

OSU has no one to blame but themselves.

They could have played last week. They did not go over the % needed to cancel a game. They ducked (lol, joking) Illinois.

So, if they don't make it, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Barry is all about that conference money.

Osu and Wisky can still play in Champions week, just not for the title.

I just saw the Penix injury on the Big Ten replay. Man that is tough. Wasn't even contact. He got hurt slowing his stride as he ran out of bounds. Sucks.

Indiana's recent games vs Wisconsin are ugly! UW has won 10 straight by an average of 36 ppg! Although they don't play every year and considering some of the gains Indiana has made on defense in recent years under Allen, the history might not be very predictive.

2017 #4 UW(-13.5) 45-17
2013 #17 UW(-24) 51-3
2012 6-3 UW(-7) 62-14
2011 #4 UW (-40) 59-7
2010 #6 UW(22.5) 83-20
2009 #24 UW(-11) 31-28
2008 4-5 UW(-9.5) 55-20
2007 6-2 UW(-9) 33-3
2006 3-1 UW(-11.5) 52-17
2005 3-1 UW(-17.5) 41-24
2002 5-1 UW(-11) 29-32
2001 3-2 UW(-14.5) 32-63 (Randle El)
Indy has never had a D this good as well....no doubt

Hoosiers backup is a former 4 star recruit who was one the highest rated pocket passers in the country correct? Man 14 seems like a whole lot for a wiscy team im not completely sold on anyways.

Bucks will get in, they are the biggest reason there is even a season this year for the big ten. Nebraska helped as well, but let's be real, bucks being good this year had major influence for $$$. If the bucks didn't think they would be good this year, Day and company wouldn't have even taken the lengths they did to get the season played.

Great thread as always.

I feel like the Wisconsin line of 14.5 over Indiana is too high even given that Penix is out. That is a lot and I have really hard time thinking that this IU bunch isn't going to step up for the absence with everyone else raising their game. That and I generally do not regard this Wisconsin team very high. Matchup wise, if IU is going to just try and run and ugly it up, the Badgers will handle that.

Backup IU QB is Jake Tuttle, Utah transfer. I don't know much other than he's been there a couple years after transferring in. On the assuming he has some talent and skill, I will take IU and the points this week. If Tuttle doesn't have the tools, I will lose and so will the Hoosiers special season.

I feel opposite. Although I agree with all of your thoughts. Penix was an amazing athlete. My heart goes out to him. They will not score much.

I like whisky, under, IU tt under

I feel opposite. Although I agree with all of your thoughts. Penix was an amazing athlete. My heart goes out to him. They will not score much.

I like whisky, under, IU tt under

the backup kid was highly rated coming out of HS, I don’t think they lose much in the passing game honestly amd I think their aggressive d will keep them around. 14.5 seems like way to much imo.

the backup kid was highly rated coming out of HS, I don’t think they lose much in the passing game honestly amd I think their aggressive d will keep them around. 14.5 seems like way to much imo.
Penix was everything to making IU offense potent.

I feel like whisky will run it up best they could and reffing will go their way cuz IU is now doomed and Whisky needs to be seen as awesome or some shit to BCS.

I love IU D. That is why I lean under I see 14.5 as a tease to IU backers

Penix was everything to making IU offense potent.

I feel like whisky will run it up best they could and reffing will go their way cuz IU is now doomed and Whisky needs to be seen as awesome or some shit to BCS.

I love IU D. That is why I lean under I see 14.5 as a tease to IU backers

I think Hoosiers offense will be more capable with this kid than you do. I actually think penix often hurt them and from all accounts I’ve read this backup can spin it, he was one the top rated pocket passers coming out so I think he be able to get it out to their weapons. I think the number has more to do with wiscy being overrated than teasing Iu backers but I been wrong before. I like Hoosiers being back in the overlooked dog role also, I think they thrive in that spot.

Honestly it prob better to pass cause I just don’t think we have seen enough from wiscy to know what they are. Whipping a terrible Michigan team and a Illini team decimated by injuries or covid (dunno which, just know they were missing a lot that game) then scoring 7 vs NW is far from impressive. I dunno their defense as good the numbers cause there just not enough data points to know.

I think Hoosiers offense will be more capable with this kid than you do. I actually think penix often hurt them and from all accounts I’ve read this backup can spin it, he was one the top rated pocket passers coming out so I think he be able to get it out to their weapons. I think the number has more to do with wiscy being overrated than teasing Iu backers but I been wrong before. I like Hoosiers being back in the overlooked dog role also, I think they thrive in that spot.

Dude, I hear everything you say. I guess the majority of my opinion is on the weight I place on the traumatic Penix loss. He was still underrated. Single handedly won PSU game and IU fans knew was at least a once in a decade player for that program. It fucking sucks. I dont think public understands. I dont love whisky but I know the Big 10 is crooked. GL bank

Dude, I hear everything you say. I guess the majority of my opinion is on the weight I place on the traumatic Penix loss. He was still underrated. Single handedly won PSU game and IU fans knew was at least a once in a decade player for that program. It fucking sucks. I dont think public understands. I dont love whisky but I knew the Big 10 is crooked. GL bank
You might be right I just don’t think the actual qb play will be a huge drop off. As I said above might be better to pass, just hard to not take 2 tds against wiscy for me. I have a fairly big card so this might not make it (although I think I’ll be using Hoosiers in the ml dog contest) gl to you as well buddy.

I think the one thing we do know about Indiana - Wisconsin is that both defenses are very good. Some might say they trust the Wisconsin D more, and I can see that. But IU D should be fairly trustworthy as well.

Both offenses I believe are, or now, will be limited with no Penix and Wisconsin not having their annual run all over your strong rushing attack it's more on their QB, but he has limited quality receivers in my opinion. UW does it more with the scheme and execution than they do athletes. IU has a better RB than can be found on the UW depth chart currently, but Hoosiers have not been able to get Stevie Scott going, which is concerning. Their improved rushing numbers last week, somebody can help me out, but was that primarily out of a wildcat with the freshman RB? That will be a one week trick. UW D will have a plan for that. IU has better receiving options, but are going to have to rely on a less experienced and largely unknown commodity at QB. Maybe he will get it done. Maybe he won't.

I think positives and negatives can be found on both sides with one point of agreement, both defenses can and should be plenty capable of handling what the other offenses are going to try and do.

It's just a bunch of points to give a quality team even without their QB assuming the backup can play, I guess maybe I should like the Under more.

FWIW on the OSU game. I'm playing the under. I don't think style points are in play with the amount of guys missing. I'm thinking more Tressel ball style and the OSU defense will step up.
Comment from an insider that would know.

I won't disclose names, position groups, or numbers, but will stick with what I wrote last Saturday that it's "not good." I'm looking at this game as one where OSU shows up, plays their tails off, gets out with the W, and gets back home. I can see Kevin Wilson trying to get this game in a comfortable mode and then get the darn thing over with. I don't see this game as a style points opportunity at all, unless somehow that presents itself.

So, here's the thing ...

OSU has no one to blame but themselves.

They could have played last week. They did not go over the % needed to cancel a game. They ducked (lol, joking) Illinois.

So, if they don't make it, they have no one to blame but themselves.
I disagree. Think they did this because they didn't know who could be affected. If everyone got on that plane, there would have been many more exposed and missing games due to contact tracing. They made the choice to give them the best opportunity to play the final 3 games.
They are already missing significant players for MSU game this week.

I think OSU blows them out fields had the worst game of his career. MSU coming of a huge win. I don’t see MSU running wild on OSU so I think they handle them.

Last edited:
I think OSU blows them out fields had the worst game of his career. MSU coming of a huge win. I don’t see MSU running wild on OSU so I think they handle them.

i think sparty wrs might be able to get loose for some plays but no interest betting it. Kinda lean over.

I disagree. Think they did this because they didn't know who could be affected. If everyone got on that plane, there would have been many more exposed and missing games due to contact tracing. They made the choice to give them the best opportunity to play the final 3 games.
They are already missing significant players for MSU game this week.
That's fine, and safety first.

I am just saying ..just like Wisconsin early this year...it wasn't protocol that caused cancellations... it was the schools decision...

5 starters out: Myers, Munford, Petit Fr, LB Tuf Borland, Safety Josh Proctor out.

That's three starters on OL and a middle LB and "the good safety" out. Borland being out isn't a big deal but Proctor and OL pieces hurt.

Back