Week 6 with Marsski (and Inside the Line columns)

Marsski

MAC Marvel
YTD NCAA: 17-15, +0.38
Multi-sport wagers 0-1, -0.5 units
NFL: 6-2, +3.3 units

Didn't want to lose the 14 with S Florida as they travel to U Mass.

Watched U Mass against my Bobcats and they have to be one of the worst rush defensive teams I've seen. Bobcats gashed them again and again and again, they just don't get off blocks at all. They are #118 in rush D and #108 in total D. Now, they play a top 40 offense and a top 25 passing O who is coming off a bye and should be hungry to get on the field. There will be zero home crowd. U Mass has given up 55, 34, 63, 31, 58 and this is probably the best offense they have faced. I love it, I think S Florida gets into the 50s easy....

All plays to win 1 unit unless otherwise noted...

Saturday card:

S Florida -14
OSU/Indiana Over 62.5
NC State -4

Va. Tech +6.5 (-115)
Navy -3 (half unit)
Ky. +2.5 live for half unit (+100)

(20-18, +1.18)

Pros:

Dolphins +6
Ravens/Browns Under 46

(7-3, +3.2)

Last edited:
USF is on my radar as well and I almost pulled the trigger yesterday. Any concerns on the other side of the ball?

UMass has suspended football coach Mark Whipple one week without pay and ordered him to undergo sensitivity training after using the word "rape" in describing a non-penalty call during Saturday's 58-42 loss to Miami of Ohio.

"We had a chance there with 16 down and they rape us, and he picks up the flag," Whipple said after the game in discussing a non-call on what he saw as pass interference on UMass receiver Andy Isabella.

A statement issued Sunday by UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford in announcing the suspension read, in part: "On behalf of our department, I deeply apologize for the comments made by head coach Mark Whipple on Saturday after our game at Ohio. His reference to rape was highly inappropriate, insensitive and inexcusable under any circumstance."

USF is on my radar as well and I almost pulled the trigger yesterday. Any concerns on the other side of the ball?

Not really. U Mass has a good QB but not seeing them be able to keep pace. They have one WR he looks for all the time, have to key off him. E Carolina only had 13 last week on S Fla...

Those pix against my local elevens look very good to me, mr mars. Good luck with them. I’ll be joining you but being an old cheapskate, I’ll wait till 5Dimes lowers the juice Friday .

I didn’t read your column from this week. Can you share your thoughts on OSU/IU here please?

It'll be out tomorrow...here's the OSU part. The over i got was 62.5....

Feel free to exhale, Buckeye Nation.

Last year, a thrilling last-second win by Ohio State over the Nittany Lions netted a blowout loss in a flat showing the next Saturday at dangerous Iowa. This year, Ohio State’s post-Penn State hangover should be eased by a home game against Indiana, a perennial also-ran unable to beat the Buckeyes since Earle Bruce prowled the sidelines.

Back in the friendly confines of the Horseshoe, lately you can pencil in Ohio State for half a century when facing Big Ten foes. In fact, OSU’s last five Big Ten homes games—against Rutgers, Illinois, Michigan State, Penn State and Maryland—have netted 50 points a game on the dot. That won’t change Saturday against an Indiana defense that let Michigan State’s zombie offense drop 35 on them.

Urban Meyer seemed to be searching for a motivational ace up his sleeve this week challenging his team in the media saying their best football is yet to come. That’s a lot nicer than saying our defense allows more big plays to be produced than a Broadway theatre.

Fact is Ohio State’s defense was diced by the three teams they have faced with a pulse on offense—Oregon State, TCU and Penn State—giving up an eye-popping 19 plays of 25+ yards. The inconsistent linebacker and safety play isn’t likely to get fixed this week considering that Indiana threw for 420 yards last season, a 2017 season-high against Ohio State. The Hoosiers have scored 92 combined points the past four years against Ohio State, a higher total than any Big Ten East team outside of Penn State.

If we don’t think Ohio State gets their leaky defense fixed this week, and we don’t think Indiana has the defensive chops to slow down Dwayne Haskins and the fellas, then what are we saying? Take the over and watch the scoreboard flip.

The Pick: Over 64.5

That BG Toledo game is so compelling in the volatility of it. Would not be surprised to see BG win outright and would not be surprised to see Toledo win by 38.

Enjoy the articles. You are a very good writer .. nice mix of information and humor and you can tell a lot of thought is put into how the article is formed. It is a talent.

Best wishes

Also we are already at week 6 or whatever it is and I still have no idea what Akron is. Ayudame

Mars I came in looking for your opine on over in Ohio/Kent St. looks like you like it. BOL on the week, and I too enjoy your articles...you do a great job.

That BG Toledo game is so compelling in the volatility of it. Would not be surprised to see BG win outright and would not be surprised to see Toledo win by 38.

Enjoy the articles. You are a very good writer .. nice mix of information and humor and you can tell a lot of thought is put into how the article is formed. It is a talent.

Best wishes

Thanks VK.

Unless BG suddenly fixes its run D, I think its eventually gonna turn into an ass-beating. Only thing keeping me off Toledo is Guadagni being knocked out last week.

On Akron: Sneaky good D....don't let that fluky win over NW influence you too much...
I got the MAC East:
1.Ohio/Buffalo
3.Miami
4.Akron
5.Kent

6.BG

Back