Week 6 B1G...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I think it is the 6th week, right?

Well, this is traditionally the last week of the year for conference play but we'll be playing games till the week before Christmas. Overall, we haven't lost as many as I would have thought to this point with the Rona... but I'lll knock on wood real quick in hopes the virus doesn't have burning ears...

Okay... lets talk about last week...

I didn't see one iota of Purdue and Minnesota but obviously caught the controversy...

Brohm today...

That is a tough pill to swallow, obviously. At least Rondale was back and spectacular...

So, yeah, Nebraska...wow. Now, they lost to the two best teams in conference then won a game vs a winless team that outgained them... surely they could carry that momentum and beat the hapless Illini. Nope. Frost simply hasn't gotten it done yet. I believe that the only team they have beaten in his tenure that is over .500 is a 7-6 Michigan State team a few years back.

Hopefully you guys saw @tee*dub pop into the random @RetroVK thread this past week and recommend Iowa as a big play last week. They just pounded the Lions in Happy Valley. As with a few teams in conference...injuries and opt outs have hurt them...with that being said they really outplayed Indiana in week one and acquitted themselves pretty solid against Ohio State thereafter. Since then, it is gradually getting worse and worse. Surprisingly, Mr. Peanut isn't hearing too much criticism. Iowa is just playing Iowa football.

Northwestern has a really good defense. Mertz is still young, and it showed. Berger will be a good one, but Wisky doesn't have that feared RB this year to make the offense hum like it should. Lets remember that their previous games were versus two horrible defenses. Their offense is somewhere in the middle most likely.

I saw around 30% of the OSU and Indiana game live...I watched it on the 60 min B1G Network segment this morning at 5am. Penix did Penix things.. .Indiana had A LOT of opportunities. Much like a few years ago, you can pass on this Buckeye defense. Obviously, we'll have to wait for the playoffs to really cap that out as far as a W/L. Indiana forced turnovers and got some sacks. I give them a lot of credit for not giving up. They are a legit top-15 team... I figured top 25 coming in but they are even a bit above my expectations.

A classic 3OT thriller in Jersey on Saturday night. First thing... Rutgers plays as hard as anyone in the country and Shiano has all these outcasts motivated. They are back on the rise, to be a solid team sometime in this decade. Michigan is what they are, a terrible defense with some guys who can make plays on offense...

More on Michigan...

-The OL guys did NOT return Saturday. I didn't see that till a bit before the game and was surprised at the news.
-Kwity Paye was still out.
-Cam McGrone, LB, is likely out for the year. He was a budding star last year but has been very average this year, fwiw. Great kid though, tough break.
-I am not sure if we have discussed Bob Shoop. He was hired from Messy St this off-season. He is regarded very highly as a defensive coach. He was to work with the safeties. He has not been with the program since September. There is an illness and also some sort of investigation going on. That is all that is known (guessing HR). Well, those safeties are being coached by a grad assistant I believe. Oh joy, lol.

Obviously, they had planned on playing both QB's this past week. Joe has plenty of talent but simply isn't seeing it out there as he needs to be. I feel like after a mistake or a few mis-reads he gets nervous. Anyways, Cade has been regarded highly in practices the past 12 months or so. He is a throwback...he does a lot of thing solid but nothing great. With that being said, he has a quick release, and makes plays. I like his attitude as well. He'll start this week, lets see how he does with a full game and versus a big-time program (albeit one that is 0-5).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, onto this week...

The traditional Friday Nebraska game...with Iowa has it has been for awhile now...You'd expect that Iowa does what they have been doing the last few weeks...This line is 13.5 for a reason. I am not sure how I feel about that number for now though....obviously check weather as well...

Ohio State with a scrimmage in Champaign. I would think they get a lot done in the first 2.5 quarters then coast on in...despite last weeks offensive explosion I am not sure I trust Illy to help on a game total here. I'll defer to others who have more Illinois knowledge on that thought though...

Maryland should be back playing this week and catches Indiana in a letdown spot...They beat Michigan for first time since '87... had a good road win in East Lansing then played their hearts out last week. This is a definite flat spot. Obviously we need to know the status of some Maryland players. This will be a good test to really gauge this Terps team.

Looks like Minnesota has some issues with Covid so this game may not get played... pause on thoughts here...

Michigan State off a Rona bye week hosts Northwestern. This series is generally wild, no matter the strength of the teams. This feels like one of those games again, with NW coming off the big win last week and a whole bunch of 'playoff' talk this week. The line seems appropriate. You know my feeling on Sparty this year but this is a game I'd wait a bit to bet and maybe get a discount on the Cats in-game or at halftime.

Rutgers heads to Purdue... Two teams off tough losses... Rondale gonna play again? Plummer is starting, right?

TV executives couldn't get far enough away from Penn State and Michigan... we have a desperate Nittany Lions team vs a Michigan team looking for their first home win. This matchup really sums up the year 2020...I saw the total get bet up at open for good reason. Almost every team Michigan has played has posted a season high in points. Michigan, offensively, should be a bit more consistent this week with Cade at the helm... probably. Hopefully the boys are back on the OL...that would help a lot. This is definitely a game I feel we'll see some points... I was hoping for a 54 or so but that isn't sitting there right now. This is a week for the PSU offense to get some confidence...while Michigan hopes to keep the 2nd half vibes going. It is two bad teams, but has the potential for a good game.

With that being said...lets go back in time 23 years ago...to a classic matchup between these two...I post this mostly for the brilliance of Keith Jackson...

Yes, Keith was fantastic. His intros to games were unmatched, as was his pxp and everything else.

On the subject of the B10 and Ohio State, if you really want to know why Tom Herman is in trouble (the Athletic):

Since 2017, Ohio State has landed seven five-star prospects out of Texas, and that doesn’t include Dobbins, who was a high four-star and the No. 46 overall player in the class. During that same span, Texas has landed only four five-star prospects in its own state.

OSU vs. UT, 5-stars from Texas since 2017:

2022Quinn EwersQBteam-logo-191-50x50.pngOhio State
2022Caleb BurtonWRteam-logo-191-50x50.pngOhio State
2021Donovan JacksonOGteam-logo-191-50x50.pngOhio State
2021Ja'Tavion SandersATHteam-logo-182-50x50.pngTexas
2020Jaxon Smith-NjigbaWRteam-logo-191-50x50.pngOhio State
2019Garrett WilsonWRteam-logo-191-50x50.pngOhio State
2019Jordan WhittingtonATHteam-logo-182-50x50.pngTexas
2018Cade SternsSteam-logo-182-50x50.pngTexas
2018B.J. FosterSteam-logo-182-50x50.pngTexas
2017Jeff OkudahCBteam-logo-191-50x50.pngOhio State
2017Baron BrowningOLBteam-logo-191-50x50.pngOhio State

Last edited:
s--k - I'm not sure but will keep digging and post what I can find. Locksley tight lipped for privacy reasons I guess.

s--k - I'm not sure but will keep digging and post what I can find. Locksley tight lipped for privacy reasons I guess.

Right. A lot of people are interested in Maryland this week, myself included probably, based off of the life they've shown combined with a let-down spot for Indiana. Concern is what kind of ball does Maryland return to the field with and who is or isn't playing. Not sure we will get the same Maryland team we saw last in Happy Valley with the layoff and the practice and personnel disruptions.

OT, I haven't been doing a thread since conference play started up...

You guys know my affinity with Liberty...

I only played them small last week, finally suffering a TT loss (they should have won out outright)....

They are playing UMASS on Friday....

I repeat...UMASS

I expected a TT 49+ min...

47 currently...

1h will be 27.5 I am guessing...

Just sayin....

OSU with 8 or so players testing positive. But they got clearance to practice today. Don't know who's affected but hopefully this is it.

OSU with 8 or so players testing positive. But they got clearance to practice today. Don't know who's affected but hopefully this is it.
Interesting.

Thx for noting.

Obviously, I'd expect them to play if possible. They can't lose out on too many games.

Great post BAR! Great job covering the Michigan injuries, found a few on PSU

PSU is now without their top 3rbs as Ford is out for the year. That leaves two true freshman. Starting TE Friernuth announced out for year, didn’t play vs Iowa. #1 CB out last two games, no word on Sat.
Didn’t see last week Iowa game but assuming Clifford named starter after being benched then coming in late last week and throwing two tds but two ints including a pick 6. Not sure of the #s but guessing PSU has to be about last in TO margin.
With Mich DBs and injuries to our pass rushers, best way to attack would be with Clifford through air instead of their backup who just runs.

I know it was ugly, but with Cade in and picking up a W last week, Mich has the edge here mentally. Not sure if PSU has given up on the season but something way off there despite the injuries and Parsons opt out.
I’ll be on Mich to cover, I see this as a 10 point win and I’ll try to watch some of this and act to myself like it’s a normal PSU Mich game for 2nd place in the division. Fun year!

ive been to probably 5 Mich PSU games, literally made a best friend by asking him to go to the 94 game, Wheatley v Kijana. Was a loss but we don’t care now, we were just in awe and pros were all over that field for both teams.

Other fondest memory was being in end zone for Manningham TD in 06 and then Chris Perry td in OT. I also went to a game where I left at halftime with Tate Forcier at QB and a PSU and Mich fan fought in the bathroom line in the mud about whose stadium has a higher capacity.

Yes, there was a time where OSU wasn’t so dominant and these two teams were the elites. A time too long ago. And now this mess.

Great post BAR! Great job covering the Michigan injuries, found a few on PSU

PSU is now without their top 3rbs as Ford is out for the year. That leaves two true freshman. Starting TE Friernuth announced out for year, didn’t play vs Iowa. #1 CB out last two games, no word on Sat.
Didn’t see last week Iowa game but assuming Clifford named starter after being benched then coming in late last week and throwing two tds but two ints including a pick 6. Not sure of the #s but guessing PSU has to be about last in TO margin.
With Mich DBs and injuries to our pass rushers, best way to attack would be with Clifford through air instead of their backup who just runs.

I know it was ugly, but with Cade in and picking up a W last week, Mich has the edge here mentally. Not sure if PSU has given up on the season but something way off there despite the injuries and Parsons opt out.
I’ll be on Mich to cover, I see this as a 10 point win and I’ll try to watch some of this and act to myself like it’s a normal PSU Mich game for 2nd place in the division. Fun year!

ive been to probably 5 Mich PSU games, literally made a best friend by asking him to go to the 94 game, Wheatley v Kijana. Was a loss but we don’t care now, we were just in awe and pros were all over that field for both teams.

Other fondest memory was being in end zone for Manningham TD in 06 and then Chris Perry td in OT. I also went to a game where I left at halftime with Tate Forcier at QB and a PSU and Mich fan fought in the bathroom line in the mud about whose stadium has a higher capacity.

Yes, there was a time where OSU wasn’t so dominant and these two teams were the elites. A time too long ago. And now this mess.
Great post.

'94 game was on ESPNU yesterday I think.... obviously that PSU team was so good that year...

Great stories...

I actually lean Michigan a bit too but they'll need to score points...because they'll give up points...

Mayfield and Hayes are practicing again this week...hopefully they play.

Great post.

'94 game was on ESPNU yesterday I think.... obviously that PSU team was so good that year...

Great stories...

I actually lean Michigan a bit too but they'll need to score points...because they'll give up points...

Mayfield and Hayes are practicing again this week...hopefully they play.
Damn, pissed I missed it.

they’ll score points. PSU secondary sucks from what I’ve seen and in games I haven’t that also seems to be case. Safeties specifically. Not like ours doesn’t but more likely their QB turns it over and it snowballs.

This is the highest total ever for a Michigan game under Harbaugh as coach.

Harbaugh is 19-4-1 to the over (by avg of 11.44) at Mich with posted total of 52+.
He is 13-2 to the over (by avg 12.93) at Mich with total of 54.5+.
He is 6-0 to the over by avg of 22.58 points where total is 52+ and Mich is dog or is favored by less than 10. Obviously, two of those are the last two against the Buckeyes (over by an avg of 36.5), and the others are this year's games against everyone other than MSU (over by average of 15.6).

Anyone interested in the over in this one?

This is the highest total ever for a Michigan game under Harbaugh as coach.

Harbaugh is 19-4-1 to the over (by avg of 11.44) at Mich with posted total of 52+.
He is 13-2 to the over (by avg 12.93) at Mich with total of 54.5+.
He is 6-0 to the over by avg of 22.58 points where total is 52+ and Mich is dog or is favored by less than 10. Obviously, two of those are the last two against the Buckeyes (over by an avg of 36.5), and the others are this year's games against everyone other than MSU (over by average of 15.6).

Anyone interested in the over in this one?
I was at 54.

I am still looking at it.

They keep losing players on defense... And should be more consistent on offense

Weather looks good

I was at 54.

I am still looking at it.

They keep losing players on defense... And should be more consistent on offense

Weather looks good
Did the total move on injury news, or was it just a disagreement between the public and the oddsmaker?

Did the total move on injury news, or was it just a disagreement between the public and the oddsmaker?
I think disagreement.

It moved 3 points the first 16 minutes it was open at Circa on Sunday (Circa opens totals earlier than anyone ).

I was a Nebraska fan growing up as a kid in the 1980s. Watched them win 9-10 games every year and lose to one of the southern or Florida schools in the bowl like clockwork. 1994 was SWEET! Not to mention we had tons of Miami Hurricane fans at my high school (a couple guys from my school went and played there, Kosar, Marucci). I graduated in 1993. Would've loved the chance to wear my Husker shirt to school after that one!!

I was a Nebraska fan growing up as a kid in the 1980s. Watched them win 9-10 games every year and lose to one of the southern or Florida schools in the bowl like clockwork. 1994 was SWEET! Not to mention we had tons of Miami Hurricane fans at my high school (a couple guys from my school went and played there, Kosar, Marucci). I graduated in 1993. Would've loved the chance to wear my Husker shirt to school after that one!!
As a kid growing, the Friday after Thanksgiving meant OU/Nebraska. Miss those days.

The crazy thing about 60-3 is that it very easily could have been 62-1. Absolute screw job in the 94 Orange Bowl and then half the team had the flu vs Texas in 96 and we were still a 4th and 2 stop away from likely winning. Hard to believe how bad it's gotten.

Ahem......there was another undefeated team in '94. Yeah, I am still bitter.

Stats like that remind me how Danny Ford played for the Bear (captain) and then went undefeated against Paterno, Switzer, and Osborne. Clemson and Michigan have still never met.
My stepdad still tells me the story of a joint team meal with both Penn State and Clemson where Paterno got up and talked about Danny Fords mom in not so nice terms. Danny tells his players to get up and walk out in the middle of the meal, then Clemson proceeds to roll them in the citrus bowl. You ever heard this story?

My stepdad still tells me the story of a joint team meal with both Penn State and Clemson where Paterno got up and talked about Danny Fords mom in not so nice terms. Danny tells his players to get up and walk out in the middle of the meal, then Clemson proceeds to roll them in the citrus bowl. You ever heard this story?
No, I don’t recall it. I do recall that I watched the game on TV in Press and Pete Maravich’s old house, the one with the famous concrete floor in the basement Pete had to keep dribbling on when he watched TV.

Coincidentally, it was only about two blocks away from where I watched OU/NU in 1971, which is about 150 yards from Dabo’s New house.

Looking at Michigan given how the line is basically a PK. Any reason I shouldn’t pull the trigger?
I read an article at one of our paysites that was a PSU writers analysis of them and it was horrid...

40% ish of the points they have given up have been directly from offensive turnovers...

Dotson is really the only weapon...

Ugly team...

Michigan at least has a bit of momentum...

How are we playing this Lib/UMass game :)
So, I played the over 47 max bet on Tuesday.

It's 46.5 right now.

If you can get the first half under 28, I'd play that too. It is really shaded at some spots right now. First half play is about the number although I expect 31-35 points.

Seems so crazy to hear you talk bout Michigan and the defense being a big problem. Isn’t that the side of the ball harbough has playing at a high level?

When liberty played north Alabama as huge favs was there a reason Willis didn’t play? They so interesting (in many ways) but particularly the way they able to go from fast paced against teams they feel superior than to a team who tries to eat clock and really limit possessions against the better teams they face, what a great coaching job being done there! I Was so sad they couldn’t pull off that ncst game as would loved for them to face coastal with them both undefeated last game of year! That gonna be a good one!!

So, I played the over 47 max bet on Tuesday.

It's 46.5 right now.

If you can get the first half under 28, I'd play that too. It is really shaded at some spots right now. First half play is about the number although I expect 31-35 points.

H1 is 27.5 Over -190 for me. I stuck with my game play.

Fair enough... They are putting a pretty high tariff on that 1H number.

makes sense. With coastal on deck I would assume they go to their slow it down clock eating style assuming they hang a big lead in the 1st. Put them away and go on cruise control.

I know I’m alone here if I can recall.

I think Ferentz is a good coach.
I do think he’s “good,” in fact I would say very good. But I do also think it’s not unrealistic to have expected more over the last two decades. The guy came in and remarkably turned the program completely around immediately. That being said, the 2 and 3 loss seasons of the early 2000s are now a distant memory. Big difference between good and great, and even though it’s Iowa, I feel like he should have done a bit better with that program in the grand scheme of things.

makes sense. With coastal on deck I would assume they go to their slow it down clock eating style assuming they hang a big lead in the 1st. Put them away and go on cruise control.
So, they ended half kicking FG after being at the 2

2h still needs 3 scores to get to the number

Options are there.

Oh damn, that drive taking up 18% of 3rd with a missed FG is ominous .

We'll need 1-2 turnovers.

Back