Week 5 What Have We Learned

We excel at delivering Top 10 recruiting classes. But we further excel at coaching them down to the nth degree once they get on campus. TCU gets the leftover players that Texas doesn't want but they've somehow managed to win 6 of the last 7 in the series. Actually, there's no "somehow" about it.

-Small sample size, I know, but I don't remember seeing a collective group of better hands than the Alabama offense. WRs. TEs. RBs. All can catch, and well. I'm sure they'll run a tackle eligible play sometime this season and he'll catch the ball.
- Haven't heard, but who did Leach throw under the bus this week? Anyone but himself, I'm sure. Unbridled clown.
- I love BYU. They're everything I don't see in Austin - executing, disciplined, no bullshit football team. And, yes, Zach Wilson is really good.
- And on the subject of hands, or a hand. I know everyone has seen it, but it's worth watching again. Give up 7 inches to a WR? Meh, he's got it.
On the Arkansas game vs Messy St. I can’t remember quite what we paid Pelini but I’m sure it’s a high number.

You could’ve paid me a can of Copenhagen and bought me a beer and I would’ve switched to a zone defense in the LSU/Moo State game. I come a bit cheaper I guess.

I don’t know if there is a line for it but watch how many more games Messy St loses. We were the gimmick test for the record breaking game but Arkansas and all there 2 and 3 stars showed you it ain’t too difficult.

I believe in Ole Miss way way more.

College Football Moron of the Week Revealed.

No, it wasn't the Texas moron who on first and goal from the TCU half-yard line with less than a minute left tried to extend the ball over the line and fumbled to cost his team the game.

No, it wasn't the Abilene Christian moron who, when his team was down 23-0 and getting crushed, broke wide open for a sure 65-yard for a TD, but started celebrating at the 20 and got tackled and cost his team a TD

It was the kentucky Moron of the Week on his way to a sure TD on a beautiful 70-yard run who started celebrating and gesturing to the crowd at the 25, allowing the Ole Miss DBs to tackle him inside the five, then two plays later, when he was stood up in the grasp of two Ole Miss D-linemen, tried to extend the ball, fumbled it and cost his team a TD

Last year UK's pass D gave up only 28 plays of 20 yards or more. This year through 2 games they have already given up 9 such plays.

One week after allowing Bo Nix to complete 60% with a 8.6 ypa and 3-0 ratio, Ole Miss' Matt Corral to pass 24-29 (83%!) 320y 4-0!

UK did outgain Ole Miss 559-459 (7.6-6.9), including rushing for 408 (7.3)! UK only suffered one turnover, a well documented fumble at the goal line from a RB who was showboating two plays earlier and got tackled from behind. That was UK's first possession of the game, Ole Miss went 3-and-out and UK had their TD just 4 plays and 29 yards later to tie the game 7-7 so that was an empty possession because they got the ball back so fast and scored I'm not sure it made much difference in the outcome. There were some other issues for the Cats like a missed FG (this after just missing on a TD pass one play before), that FG at the time would've put UK up by 10, a sack on 4th down from the M35 in the 4th qrt...and that missed xpt in OT. UK was also called for three defensive PIs, all told Ole Miss got 5 first downs by way of penalty.

Chris Reynolds did start and play for Charlotte after being injured and questionable over the prior 3 weeks while we waited for Charlotte to take the field again. He went 24-32-314-1-0 and in the process bacame the second player in school history to surpass 4000 career yards.

FAU's new QB was Nick Tronti making his first start, he would pass for just 11-22-98-2-0 but did lead the Owls in rushing 10att-94-TD.

FAU only crossed midfield once in the 1st H, but FAU's D was able to limit the 49ers points with sacks on two different drives on 3rd down in the RZ that forced a made FG and also a missed FGA. Charlotte led just 10-0 at HT although it could've been a larger lead. At halftime Charlotte had a 165 to 72 yard advantage. Charlotte missed another FG to open the 3rd Q and then FAU got it going scoring 21 straight points among those was another sack of Reynolds this one he fumbled setting up a 16y FAU TD "drive". Charlotte cut the lead to 17-21. In heavy rain, up just 4, Willie Taggart opted for a 4th down and 1 at the C17 instead of a FG and Charlotte stopped them with 2 minutes left. Charlotte moved the ball 73 yards as time was ticking away only to run out of time at the F09. Charlotte did outgain them 396-315 (5.4-5.7).

FAU's D had 12 TFL with 6 sacks among those!

Kinda feel bad for Trey Lance. Dude had one game to “prove” himself for scouts against central ark and he wasn’t awful but not the lights out performance he had hoped for

FSU finished the game with a 531-307 TY edge (6.48-5.79) and 31-18 FD advantage in their come-from-behind win vs Jacksonville State 41-24. FSU outrushed them 263-63 (5.0-2.9).

FSU started Tr Fr QB Tate Rodemaker, but after gaining just 60 yards on the game's first four possessions (INT, missed FG, punt, punt), he was relieved in the 2nd Q for Jordan Travis who immediately led FSU on a TD drive.

Jax St led 14-0 after the first quarter although Jax St had just 78y of O in the quarter as their first TD was a 13y pick-six. With Travis in the game the Noles would score 5 straight TDs scoring as follows: 14-7, 21-7, 21-14 HT. FSU tied it to open the 3rd Q...21-21, but Jax St wasn't done going back up 24-21. FSU would score the game's final 20 pts....41-24 F.

The lack of FSU pass rush vs a team like Jacksonville State must be a concern, the DE and QB pressure issue has been a concern all year. Only 2 sacks this game (Jax St attempted 31 passes) and zero credited QB hurries. Kaindoh (1.5 tfl) did play after missing Miami and being injured vs GT. On the year FSU has just 3 sacks and 2 QBH through 3 games.

If we are talking areas Clemson needs to shore up, I think it is the OL. Miami has the big name pass rushers on the edge, but it appears Clemson has a weakness in the middle. If Miami can make some plays off the edge and Clemson can't hold up inside, well, that will make for some interesting moments.

If any bettor in the country committed suicide it's probably because of Patterson and TCU.

Last week TCU (+2x) scored at the gun to pull within 3 and replay showed there was probably one second left if TCU wanted to challenge it. Kick the PAT and they cover. The ref asked Patterson if he wanted to kick the PAT, but explained that with only one second left the game would be over even if they recovered the onsides kick. Patterson waved it off, didn't bother to try the PAT, TCU failed to cover.

Against Texas they were one point under on the total with 8 seconds left and had the ball in their own territory. He chose to take a safety instead of punt or just have Duggan throw the ball a mile into the air. Duggan ran back and through the end zone, gave up two, and the total went over as the clock expired

Imagine being a guy who was on the wrong end of both plays.

I was on the wrong end last week, right end this week, but both endings were pure luck, decided on a coach's whim.
Why Is the ref giving Patterson REALLY BAD advice? Last week, TCU could have conceivably scored a TD on the kickoff.

Why Is the ref giving Patterson REALLY BAD advice? Last week, TCU could have conceivably scored a TD on the kickoff.
My thoughts exactly, MW. Every year one or two teams take an on-sides kick all the way.

They didn't have the conversation recorded, it was what Patterson told beat reporters after the game.

It doesn't make sense to me, but Patterson also played the second string QB the entire first half before putting the starter in for the second half which doesn't make sense either

I can’t remember quite what we paid Pelini but I’m sure it’s a high number.

I couldn't understand why LSU was so inept on D v, Miss State, but I didn't realize LSU had hired Pelini. Once I found that out after the game I understood.

Pelini is one of those guys you see often in football, he memorized one way to do things and never changes, no matter what. He doesn't even understand the concept of change or adapting to new developments.

He was at OU for a while and didn't impress anyone, then lucked into the Nebraska job and was so stupid he had no idea how to behave as a head coach, let alone what to do. He took over a Youngstown State program that had won 9-to10 games every year for a decade and was under .500 for three years, 6-5 one year, and had one good year 12-5 when he first took over.

I don't understand why LSU hired the guy

I think Pelini was their DC for the 2007 national title year. Maybe he was there a year or two before. Orgeron must have wanted him. There were better available candidates to fill that position obviously. SEC has changed a lot since then, like you say, Bo hasn't changed.

WKU and MTSU opened with 4 straight 3-and-outs. MTSU had a FG blk’d and WKU made one. MTSU scored the next 10, WKU tied it before HT…10-10. MTSU made it into WKU territory on their first two 2nd H possessions, but punted 3 straight in the 3rd/4th quarter while WKU took a 13-10 lead. WKU extended that lead 20-10 with 6 minutes to go. MTSU would convert 4th down twice on their 12p 75y TD drive with 2 minutes left. WKU recovered the onside kick and killed the clock. All statistical categories even. O’Hara went 23-33-217-1-0 and led rushing with 25att-98-TD. Pigrome 21-36-188-2-0 and led rushing with 16att-55y.

Navy QB Dalen Morris did not travel to Air Force, even if he had it likely would’ve only lessened the margin in which Navy lost by. So Navy started their 3rd different QB in as many games. Air Force was without some 30 total players who were thought to be part of their football program entering the 2020 season (“turn-backs” allowing for leave from the program during covid). Among those 30 missing players, mostly on defense, were all 5 returning starters on defense plus their returning starting QB. Still, Air Force dominated the game. As happened in the BYU game and for the first half of the Tulane game, Navy’s OL was dominated by the opposing D. On the bright side, some good red zone Navy D forced AF to kick 4 FGs instead of scoring TDs keeping the game 19-7 entering the 4th Q even though the yards up to that point were 343 to 166 (73 of Navy’s yards were on a scoring play). Navy’s bend don’t break D wore down at the end and the score ballooned to 40-7 with AF scoring on their final 3 possessions.

Georgia Southern jumped out front, but ULM was able to hang in there. It was 21-10 with ULM knocking on the goal line with just :02 seconds left in the 1st H and after a timeout ULM passed up the FG and scored a TD to make it 21-17 at the break. Georgia Southern scored out of the half, then blk’d a second punt in the game falling on the later in the EZ for a 35-17 lead. ULM stormed back 35-23 (missed xpt), then scored again with just 5 minutes left…35-30. ULM forced a three-and-out and would go 13- 72y, but on their final play QB Suits was stopped just short of the EZ as time expired. ULM finished with a 426-369 TY edge (5.8-6.2) although 225 of ULM’s yards came on their final 3 drives of the game. Suits 31-54-334-2-0, leading rusher 7att-51y. Werts only passed 3-7-29-0-0 and added 34y rushing. King and Kennedy combined 35att-255y-3TD.

Oklahoma scored on their first 3 possessions. Iowa State was moving it too, but ISU had to finish off their drives with FGs and OU led 17-6 2nd Q (all 3 FGS were kicked from inside the opposing 20). Both teams punted then ISU started with 42 and 28 yard completions on their way to their first TD of the game and OU would miss a 54y FG...17-13. Teams traded 30-something yard FGs...20-16. A 65y ISU TD late 3rd Q put them up 23-20. OU tied on a 51y FG...23-23 early 4th. Purdy fumbled and 4 plays later OU had a 30-23 lead mid 4th Q. But then perhaps the biggest play of the game, an 85y ISU KO return put them at the O13 and 2 plays later it was tied again 30-30. Rattler took a 3rd down sack and had to punt, and a 36y Breece Hall run keyed an ISU TD drive for the 37-30 lead. OU was moving it, converted a 4th down and with a first down at the I34 with 1 minute left, Rattler threw a deep INT in the EZ and ISU killed the clock.

From an OU perspective, there were 15 missed tackles after just 7 last week. Most of the 15 were by the same collection of players, namely Pat Fields who had atleast 5. The secondary played poorly both in coverage and tackles after the catch. Breece Hall made a couple of OU defenders look bad and the Sooner OL didn't protect or run block well in spots. Rattler wasn't all bad considering the OL in front of him and some of the passes he put on the mark that were flat dropped. Purdy was just 13-of-25 passing but he didn't make any mistakes (except for the fumble) while making some timely plays with a better supporting cast. Yup, ISU has a better supporting cast around their QB than OU does. How the mighty have fallen.

There weren't many yards or points to open the Tulsa- UCF game. Tulsa actually turned it over on 3 of their first 4 possessions then gave up a safety on their 5th! UCF jumped out to a 16-0 lead. Tulsa downed a punt at the 09 and after a 1y loss and a false start, Tulsa's D collected a safety. UCF fumbled, but with Tulsa's O still struggling it took them 10 plays to go 30 yards and a 20y FG...16-5. A 45y pass put UCF in the RZ, but the Knights would miss a 21y FG, but next Knight possession would see them go for a 4th down at the T01 and convert for the 23-5 lead under 2min left in the 1st H. Tulsa went 19, 21 and 48 yards before the half and made it 23-12 HT. Tulsa had more yards on their last drive of the 1st H than they had on all their other 1st H possessions total! UCF fumbled the opening KO and 1 play later it was just 23-19. UCF kicked a 26y FG...26-19. A 49y pass keyed a Tulsa scoring drive, but they would miss an xpt to trail by 1...26-25. Amazingly UCF would punt on their next 4 possessions with only one crossing midfield. Tulsa scored to lead 31-26 (2pt no good). With the clock running down Tulsa added a FG...34-26. UCF got to the T33 as time expired.

UCF scored on 3 of 4 RZ trips with only 2 of the 4 being TDs (missed 21y FG, made a 26y FG). Early in the game the Knights did benefit from good field position, later with some great Tulsa punting, UCF would have to begin 4 drives from inside their own 10 yard line, only one of which they were able to take for a score.

UCF was penalized 18x for 124 yards a week after being called for 19x for 139!

Total yards ended up pretty even 455-438 for UCF (5.4-6.0), but Tulsa outrushed them 165-125 (3.8-3.7)

If we are talking areas Clemson needs to shore up, I think it is the OL. Miami has the big name pass rushers on the edge, but it appears Clemson has a weakness in the middle. If Miami can make some plays off the edge and Clemson can't hold up inside, well, that will make for some interesting moments.

My thing is +15 is fucking absurd. I'm on the +15 and the ML +450 for some basic plays....I'll pay to see it this early.....November, it would be a different story.

King will make this game interesting all by himself.

My thing is +15 is fucking absurd. I'm on the +15 and the ML +450 for some basic plays....I'll pay to see it this early.....November, it would be a different story.

King will make this game interesting all by himself.
For what it's worth, Clemson has won 37 straight when favored by 10 to 20 points.

Back