Week #4

I love your post and thoughts. I have only one issue with what I see so far.

Maryland @ Michigan
Homecoming for BAR and Hunt. Spartans on deck for Maryland, and Iowa on deck for Michigan. Wolverines have won/covered the L6 with the Terps, so I'll be on them here as well. Would love to see the line at 14 or less, but will take it at 17 or less.

The Terp have a very poor ATS record in conference (9-21-2) from 2018 and beyond. Here is what I will add Michigan covered 8-2 in conference last year and coming in after 3 terrible teams this line will be a higher than you project. Last season Michigan -16 @ Maryland. Mich nailed them 59-18.

Dont be surprised if this line is -21 or more.

Again I appreciate you taking the time to put some notes down. I just wanted to give you heads up on this one.

Mich probably covers but I just dont like that they are playing such a weak schedule and laying big points accordingly. I think the books could possibly give out a wacky high line in this one. -21 to -28 is what could possibly happen.

thanks spottie :shake:

much appreciated. glad it came out at 17. actually think a more patient person than myself might even see a 16.5 or 16 at some point this week. BAR will have better thoughts on this game for sure. i know it's a step up for UM, but i'm not big on the terps. appreciate their offense, but not much more. just feel UM will wear them down and pull away late. when i was guessing at lines I was using my numbers from last week, so understand your thinking too.

Any better time than now for ASU to can Herm? Gotta think with all the BS he's put them through the buyout would be negotiable.

And if ISU are catching points at home to Baylor...I'll proudly bet on em and sound like a homer.

you were right, KJ :shake:

herm is gone. utah's favored by a bit too much, but i'm not going against them.

ISU a very small fav. baylor not the same on the road. was hoping to see a hm dog, but wasn't meant to be.

Love reading your situational angles yanks. Travel ball...those were the days.

thanks, brother. :shake:

and it's not even my kids this time around, lol. my youngest is a senior in HS. my son went on to play 2 years a JC, but looks to be giving it up this year unfortunately. but with my kids grown, i got pulled back intp coaching 9 yr olds...forgot how much i loved it...so this will be my 3rd season with them over the last year and a half. coaching a new generation...and will probably do it again whenever i'm a grandfather, lol.

I will be on UNC…that is all.

Actually I hope they come out as a dog but thinking it could be a PK or even up to Heels -2.5 but either way I will be on em as I think this is one we will just outscore them in a crazy game where the Irish all of a sudden find their offense against our D.
Also liked the way the Wake game played out and not just because I had the over. I was planning to take wake already in week 4, so the game vs liberty may get me a couple points of value. I like wake anything above 7 pretty much in what should be a fun one. May just take the over though if it is reasonable.
Probably no value on Minny, Michigan or Ohio State after yesterday but still agree that all three are worth a look depending on lines of course.
Actually had Troy in week 3 and plan to take JMU in 4 if given another DD line at open.
Had Cincy in week 3 and feel lucky to cover with the early 18 vs late 22.5, but I like Indiana in week 4 if they put a 21.5 out there, but I think it may be closer to 17.

UNC still around a pick. I like them too, but will wait and see. Would be totally appropriate for this game to fly over the number, lol.

Me too with Wake. It's at +7 now. Anything more, and I'm playing them.

Michigan and Ohio St had value, but was really hoping Minny would be a dog. Not the value I wanted as a road fav.

Indiana line isn't high enough, imo. I was hoping for 21, but would consider +17. Below that is cutting it close with Cincy.

I am horrible at picking pretty much any games involving teams out west, so no opinion on any of the pac 10 games.
Thanks for putting these early thoughts out there, really appreciate it!

happy to help and contribute a bit. and very happy to see this kind of discussion.

as for pac-12, it's setting up for a lot of dogs to bark...especially if the lines get up to where they should be. they're just begging for more USC and UW backing right now, not to mention Oregon. lines are light across the board, except Utah at ASU. gotta pay a premium for that side.

I understand what Soto has done but I'm saying he's in the tank now (for a star) and he'll need to come out of it next year. Otherwise you going to give him that with 2 bad years in a row?

Judge is totally going under the radar on this run because the steroid records are still on the books. And probably always will be. I love him as a player and watching him play RF - and seems a very humble guy to boot. I hope he gets his money - though I think it's a mistake to give him more than 5 years.

I understand what Soto has done but I'm saying he's in the tank now (for a star) and he'll need to come out of it next year. Otherwise you going to give him that with 2 bad years in a row?

Judge is totally going under the radar on this run because the steroid records are still on the books. And probably always will be. I love him as a player and watching him play RF - and seems a very humble guy to boot. I hope he gets his money - though I think it's a mistake to give him more than 5 years.

agree with everything you're saying.

i'm afraid judge is gone, tbh. cashman is a numbers geek, a glorified accountant. and hal isn't his father. they won't pony up anything ridiculous, but someone will. whether it's the giants or whoever, someone will give him the years he's looking for.

gotta hand it to him for betting on himself. class act, and a helluva ballplayer when healthy.

because Soto is 23, and a generational type player, he is worth it (the years). money is debatable, and I don't understand how he gets in funks at times...but he won a ring as basically a teenager. and i look at how he rises to the occasion against the elite pitchers. as much as i love judge, i can't say the same thing about him (yet, at least.) bases is crazy though with everything guaranteed (years/money). such a huge risk to pay players after their prime, for past results.

to each their own about ohtani. he's an incredible player, and unique thanks to the circumstances (the power he had as a FA entering the league), but he's not the mvp. trout is still a much better hitter. and take ohtani away from the halos, and guess what...they're still a way, way below .500 team. how TF is that valuable?

take Judge away from the yanks, and they'd be lucky to sniff a wild card game. after their incredible start to the season, they have been one of the worst teams in the game...at Pittsburgh levels for a long ass stretch (no offense) ;) ...yet Judge has singlehandedly kept them alive.

assuming Judge is doing this cleanly, because testing has caught even Tatis Jr, this is the single greatest non PED season ever. 59 HRs in 146. 1 more HR and he ties The Babe at 60 in 152. 2 more HRs and he ties Maris at 61 in 162. Exactly 61 years after the magical 1961 season! He's doing this while playing amazing CF, stealing bases, and leading in all the major offensive categories. look at OPS+ or wRC+ or anything, and it's not remotely close. just a point below in AL batting average too...while 20 HRs over the next best in MLB.

back in the day, i was totally enveloped by the cheaters...Mac, Sosa, Bonds, etc...and they still had to hit the ball. considering PEDs, Bonds has still had the best seasons in my 50+ years. but take the PEDs away, and there's nothing that compares to the season Judge is having right now. that's got me seriously pumped up to see how it all unfolds, as an old school fan of the game.
doesn't seem to be too much fanfare following this though, and I think it's cuz we were all duped during the steroid era. hard to trust anything is real/legit any more.
Awesome post.

My one take here and it's not really even that hot ...

MLB does very little to market their stars. Bottom line, and that's why the fanfare is so small.

Between what Sho-time has done for a few years and Aaron this year, MLB has that opportunity to really promote and they simply don't.

caught up on the day finally :)

here are some of the lines i'm watching/checking constantly...
- WF +7...as soon as i see +7.5 or better, i'm taking them.
- KSt +13...as soon as I see +14 or better, taking them too.
- Stanford +13...as soon as I see a +14 or better, taking them as well.
- Wazzou, Oregon St, and Arizona...all around +6, give or take...looking at +7.5 or better, and i could jump in on any or all.

Utah is over priced at ASU, but not going against them. I watched USA screw with my Bruins yesterday. They could've won had the coach not tried a fake FG. Not laying 21 points on the road even against Colorado. Not saying I'd back the Buffs either. Just not doing that with the Bruins.

Love FSU, as I've said all season. But if/when that hits 17, you almost have to consider BC considering the history.
Still undecided about Iowa/Rutgers, Ark/A&M, ND @ UNC, Baylor @ ISU, TCU @ SMU, JMU @ Appy St.
To back Indiana, would need +17 or better vs Cincy, but doubt I play this game.
Wanted Minny as a dog, not a small road fav at MSU. Not sure if I'll do anything here.
BYU, Aubbie, and Ville games kinda on the radar too, but nothing close.

Awesome post.

My one take here and it's not really even that hot ...

MLB does very little to market their stars. Bottom line, and that's why the fanfare is so small.

Between what Sho-time has done for a few years and Aaron this year, MLB has that opportunity to really promote and they simply don't.

very true.

but i think MLB pushes Ohtani, at least here in LA...to the point where earlier this year I found it sickening. the amount of ohtani hype, when he wasn't even doing very well at the time, actually made me dislike him to an extent. stupid, i know...but i know other baseball (non yankee) fans out here who agreed with me.

maybe you didn't get it in your area like we did here.

manfred screws up everything though. ;)

ok, here's the card as of Sunday night. obviously much more to come, but putting it on one post.

Michigan (-17) for 1
Ohio St (-18) for 1
Syracuse (-9) for 1
Florida (+10) @ -105 for 1
Toledo (-1) @ -118 for 1
Miami (-26) for 1
Texas (-4) for 1

and as post #63 shows, there will hopefully be a lot of dogs added to my card over the coming days.

:tiphat:

Arizona got hit. Was at 6 and climbing last night, and here it is at +3. Damn. :(

To a lessor extent, SJST climbed from 4 to 6 overnight too.

There are some 16.5s out there for Michigan. Sometimes going early costs value. Can't believe the Gators are up to +11 now. Other times, waiting (like with Arizona) costs all value as well. Hate when that happens...

- Wazzou, Oregon St, and Arizona...all around +6, give or take...looking at +7.5 or better, and i could jump in on any or all.

Utah is over priced at ASU, but not going against them. I watched USA screw with my Bruins yesterday. They could've won had the coach not tried a fake FG. Not laying 21 points on the road even against Colorado. Not saying I'd back the Buffs either. Just not doing that with the Bruins.

Love FSU, as I've said all season. But if/when that hits 17, you almost have to consider BC considering the history.
Still undecided about Iowa/Rutgers, Ark/A&M, ND @ UNC, Baylor @ ISU, TCU @ SMU, JMU @ Appy St.
Wanted Minny as a dog, not a small road fav at MSU. Not sure if I'll do anything here.

as promised, and as available at BaS right now...

Wake Forest (+7.5) for 1

thanks, brother. :shake:

and it's not even my kids this time around, lol. my youngest is a senior in HS. my son went on to play 2 years a JC, but looks to be giving it up this year unfortunately. but with my kids grown, i got pulled back intp coaching 9 yr olds...forgot how much i loved it...so this will be my 3rd season with them over the last year and a half. coaching a new generation...and will probably do it again whenever i'm a grandfather, lol.

That is awesome yanks. You will be coaching the next 105 mph hurler.

because Soto is 23, and a generational type player, he is worth it (the years). money is debatable, and I don't understand how he gets in funks at times...but he won a ring as basically a teenager. and i look at how he rises to the occasion against the elite pitchers. as much as i love judge, i can't say the same thing about him (yet, at least.) bases is crazy though with everything guaranteed (years/money). such a huge risk to pay players after their prime, for past results.

to each their own about ohtani. he's an incredible player, and unique thanks to the circumstances (the power he had as a FA entering the league), but he's not the mvp. trout is still a much better hitter. and take ohtani away from the halos, and guess what...they're still a way, way below .500 team. how TF is that valuable?

take Judge away from the yanks, and they'd be lucky to sniff a wild card game. after their incredible start to the season, they have been one of the worst teams in the game...at Pittsburgh levels for a long ass stretch (no offense) ;) ...yet Judge has singlehandedly kept them alive.

assuming Judge is doing this cleanly, because testing has caught even Tatis Jr, this is the single greatest non PED season ever. 59 HRs in 146. 1 more HR and he ties The Babe at 60 in 152. 2 more HRs and he ties Maris at 61 in 162. Exactly 61 years after the magical 1961 season! He's doing this while playing amazing CF, stealing bases, and leading in all the major offensive categories. look at OPS+ or wRC+ or anything, and it's not remotely close. just a point below in AL batting average too...while 20 HRs over the next best in MLB.

back in the day, i was totally enveloped by the cheaters...Mac, Sosa, Bonds, etc...and they still had to hit the ball. considering PEDs, Bonds has still had the best seasons in my 50+ years. but take the PEDs away, and there's nothing that compares to the season Judge is having right now. that's got me seriously pumped up to see how it all unfolds, as an old school fan of the game.
doesn't seem to be too much fanfare following this though, and I think it's cuz we were all duped during the steroid era. hard to trust anything is real/legit any more.

Fair points, but Judge aint pitching with a 2.50 era.

makes me want to go watch this tonight
1663641519783.png

This is still the record in my eyes,

just tossing this out for discussion. i've been doing PR#s for a handful of years. don't necessarily trust my work, so i also make a composite merging mine with two others and averaging them out. haven't looked to see if espn has updated their SP+ yet, but i've finished my work for the week...and here are the two games with the largest discrepancy to the lines that are available. (just brought one of them up in Hunt's weekly thread.)

i make Mich St a 4 pt home fav. coming into the week, i was really leaning Minny thinking they'd be a FG dog. with Sparty a 3 pt home dog right now, that's a 7 point variance to the line. it's got me seriously considering taking a shot, or why put all the time into these numbers, right?

the other game of note is that i make LaTech a 7.5 dog to South Bama. just watched USA play this weekend, and they deserved the W in Pasadena. this week's game wasn't even on my radar. but with USA being a 13.5 fav, there's a 6 point variance to the line. was super impressed by USA, but maybe they shot their wad vs the Bruins?

anybody looking at these sides?

also, i don't go strictly by my numbers fwiw. as an example, i make Michigan a 14 pt fav this week, but took them at -17 pts. the numbers are just one factor in many, and i love the situational shit (sometimes too much).

I love talking mlb shop. It's the greatest sport in the world with discussions on history, stadiums, milestones. The history of it beats the product on the field.

Judge should be on espn every night for his at bats. Ohtani is horribly marketed. It's a shame the two best players imo on earth are on the same team and can't even sniff third place in their own division.

I love talking mlb shop. It's the greatest sport in the world with discussions on history, stadiums, milestones. The history of it beats the product on the field.

Judge should be on espn every night for his at bats. Ohtani is horribly marketed. It's a shame the two best players imo on earth are on the same team and can't even sniff third place in their own division.
The Yanks are on Apple+ Friday. Almost the same. Lol

right? the greatest sport in the world, but maybe not to watch. ;) the only major sport without a clock too, until Manfred F's that up next year.

totally agree. should be front and center every night.

KSt is holding firm at +13.
Lost all hope with Arizona after it got hit Monday AM.
Wash St and Ore St are sitting on the precipice of +7s, and I'm gonna try to hold out for +7.5s.

but as promised, part two...

Stanford (+14.5) @ -117 for 1

Last edited:
Mich St has fallen to +2.5 overnight. Still considering that side due to the line value. But along the lines of last week's Sooner thrashing of Nebby, i added another game that i wasn't planning on playing this week.

Utah (-13.5) @ -120 for 1

posted my thoughts in the week four discussion thread. utes aren't tired or hurt, and have no reason to be looking ahead. if the sun devils can flip the switch after Herm getting the boot, then i'll tip my hat. this play is all about the possibility of them rolling over though, like the huskers did the previous week. asu was embarrassed, and considering all that has gone on (wrong) with that program lately, just can't see them rebounding in one week against a powerful utah team.

updated card as of Tues at lunch...

Michigan (-17) for 1
Ohio St (-18) for 1
Syracuse (-9) for 1
Florida (+10) @ -105 for 1
Toledo (-1) @ -118 for 1
Miami (-26) for 1
Texas (-4) for 1
Wake Forest (+7.5) for 1
Stanford (+14.5) @ -117 for 1

more to come as the lines slowly move.

i remember bonds every at bat was live cut in on espn .......sportcenter would lead off with pujos everday etc......baseball was marketed on espn all the time, talked about........now you won't see 1 first take segment on baseball, and for most people who don't pay extra for mlb network the casuals don't have any talking points to even know about the sport to try to get excited about......i lost interest in baseball when baseball tonight went away and it went off the air

Mich St has fallen to +2.5 overnight. Still considering that side due to the line value. But along the lines of last week's Sooner thrashing of Nebby, i added another game that i wasn't planning on playing this week.

posted my thoughts in the week four discussion thread. utes aren't tired or hurt, and have no reason to be looking ahead. if the sun devils can flip the switch after Herm getting the boot, then i'll tip my hat. this play is all about the possibility of them rolling over though, like the huskers did the previous week. asu was embarrassed, and considering all that has gone on (wrong) with that program lately, just can't see them rebounding in one week against a powerful utah team.
Agree.

Obviously helps to see another shit show (Nebby) roll over last week in same situation.

Nice job waiting out the 13.5 120 as I am sitting on 14 but similar to last week don't think it matters as I have this one as a 20+pt victory for Utah, so we shall see if we strike gold two weeks in a row with these plays.

You ever play Team Totals?

I’m thinking of RR the top 10 teams TT overs …..BM let’s you RR TT….hit a 4 teamer last week….

Think it’s time for these top teams to start scoring in bunches.

I have Mich, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, USC, and Ohio st in mind……not taking Clemson with DJ at QB…..no trust in him….

Going back to the Alabama 1Q ,1Q over, 1H , 1H O and 1H TT over……hopefully the defense and special teams can duplicate last week………it’s cringy to watch Alabama offense at times……

i remember bonds every at bat was live cut in on espn .......sportcenter would lead off with pujos everday etc......baseball was marketed on espn all the time, talked about........now you won't see 1 first take segment on baseball, and for most people who don't pay extra for mlb network the casuals don't have any talking points to even know about the sport to try to get excited about......i lost interest in baseball when baseball tonight went away and it went off the air

i was the same...totally on board with all their record breaking seasons...but we all got burned.
i didn't even know baseball tonight wasn't still around. with MLB network, i really don't watch espn much except for games. it's a shame though.

Nice job waiting out the 13.5 120 as I am sitting on 14 but similar to last week don't think it matters as I have this one as a 20+pt victory for Utah, so we shall see if we strike gold two weeks in a row with these plays.

thanks, CB. that's the hope. utes should roll, but hopefully it'll go as planned. was good timing though, because i see 14.5s and one 15 out there now.

just wish the lines i cared about would move in my direction, lol...

You ever play Team Totals?

I’m thinking of RR the top 10 teams TT overs …..BM let’s you RR TT….hit a 4 teamer last week….

Think it’s time for these top teams to start scoring in bunches.

I have Mich, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, USC, and Ohio st in mind……not taking Clemson with DJ at QB…..no trust in him….

actually i do play TTs every week, but they go un-posted. i use BM, betanysport, and betonline. none of them have TTs available until day of the game...so because i'm not around much on weekends, i don't post them. i do ok, but nothing special. they're often much easier than game totals though, because you only need to be right about the one side...so yeah, find your spots where elite teams will pile on. i also make some live plays every week that don't get posted.

one that comes to mind was just last week. was texting with BAR, filling him in on the USA/UCLA game. he suggested the UCLA TT over 17.5 for the 2nd half. we both played it, and actually had to sweat it out until that late FG thanks to some earlier BS in that game. shoulda been an easy winner, but thankfully it still cashed. i bring that up because BAR can verify the details...but also because i'm not around much, so those kinda plays I don't post. i'm a fan of TTs though, as well as any live action where I feel there's added value.

congrats on the 4 teamer. find what works for you and stick with it.

Judge got his 60th!!!!!!!!

Yep! 60 HR in 147 games! 7 less games than The Babe!!! 95 years after that 1927 season of lore, of Murderer's Row. Hunt was right about the history of the game. We all know the numbers, the players, and love it all. Means so much, even though it was way before our time...because that's what we grew up with, the stories/the history. Baseball goes hand in hand with our country. Always has, always will.

Next up is 61!!! He'll do it in way fewer games than Maris' 162, and that will be the true, non PED/steroid, HR record. 61 HRs exactly 61 years after 1961. All while leading the league in every major offensive category, including being on pace for the triple crown!!! He's first in average now too after tonight.

Had baseball practice tonight. Got home in the 8th. Was on the phone with my son, catching up, and bitching about the gawd awful NYY pitching. Then comes Judge in the 9th. I screamed GTFO from my garage, where the entire neighborhood could surely hear it, then just watched while listening to my 20 yr old son freak out on the phone. Had tears coming down my face, and wasn't crying. Just tears...and amazement at what i've been watching.

I know we were all duped, many times...so I pray that this is truly, finally legit. If so, it is hands down THE single greatest season by a player in the histpry of the game. This isn't the live ball from a couple years ago, where dbags like Gleyber could hit 30+. The next closest dude hit his 40th tonight. 20 less, and that guy can barely hit over the mendoza line. And Judge is doing it all with class. No bat flips, no pimping, no showing anyone up...just 100% class. It'll break my heart to see him leave in free agency, but that's for another day. This is the magic of baseball, so I'm fully enjoying the moment. My 9 year olds I coach are all into Judge, Pujols going after 700, and their local team (the Dodgers) chasing a ring. I know it's not like this everywhere...but here, in my small part of the world, baseball is still our pastime.

Still patiently waiting on Kansas St, Washington St, and Oregon St lines to climb just a bit. All that $ coming in on Oklahoma, USC, and Oregon...yet you're making me wait on key numbers. ;)

anyhow, as i wait, a few action plays. joining Tim on the Thurs nite over. you'd think this should be 400-500 yards of offense per team. better not see a 24-23 type game, lol. the other two i've talked about before, in this thread or another. my composite numbers have the largest discrepancy to the lines with both MSU and LaTech, so played them both small.

Coastal Carolina/Georgia St over 62 for 1/2
Michigan St (+3) for 1/2
Louisiana Tech (+13) for 1/2

lets see what tomorrow brings...
hopefully some solid line movement in my favor, and #61 in the evening.

:tiphat:

actually i do play TTs every week, but they go un-posted. i use BM, betanysport, and betonline. none of them have TTs available until day of the game...so because i'm not around much on weekends, i don't post them. i do ok, but nothing special. they're often much easier than game totals though, because you only need to be right about the one side...so yeah, find your spots where elite teams will pile on. i also make some live plays every week that don't get posted.

one that comes to mind was just last week. was texting with BAR, filling him in on the USA/UCLA game. he suggested the UCLA TT over 17.5 for the 2nd half. we both played it, and actually had to sweat it out until that late FG thanks to some earlier BS in that game. shoulda been an easy winner, but thankfully it still cashed. i bring that up because BAR can verify the details...but also because i'm not around much, so those kinda plays I don't post. i'm a fan of TTs though, as well as any live action where I feel there's added value.

congrats on the 4 teamer. find what works for you and stick with it.
I actually played the live over at 59 and 59.5……remember you talking about the over so I tailed…..
Then added 2nd half over instead…..missed by the hook cause UCLA went for 2 and missed

USA can ball…..their TT will be one to look into….and the overs too…..

Back