Week 4 What Did We Learn

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bengals are learning to be a winning team...they struggled in the first half vs Jax but the better team came through.

Kyler Murray is really continuing to grow and grow and grow

Zach Wilson, for that matter, seems to be growing. Finally a strong performance from him, led his team to its first win of the season.

Kirk Cousins wasn't taking some kind of great individual step forward, he just needed to face a team that could hit him in the mouth with a hard pass rush.

Why is Big Ben still unretired?

Prescott is really good. Most importantly, he wants to get better.

One of my biggest peeves with professional starting QBs is to see them on the sidelines between series just doing nothing, sitting on their ass, maybe assessing astrological issues.

Prescott is relentless on the sideline between series, always with the pad in his hand looking at defenses, trying to figure out how to best attack on the next series.

Love that.

The titans continue to not be able to find a reliable kicker. Didn’t help having aj, Julio, Dupree, Farley etc all out but still should have at least tied

are we sure wilson grew or just had benefit of finally seeing a crappy defense? I’m not a big Wilson buyer but the kid has had bout the toughest possible schedule to start his nfl career you could have faced! I’d think he has some good games vs bad d’s. Unfortunately for him he play in what prob the best defensive div in football!

I dunno if ive learned this but I’ve decided props are my new way of trying to attack the nfl! So far I’m 2 for 2 which means I’m basically a expert!! Lmfao

I was reminded that cousins is still a fucking stiff. Just when I started forgetting and buying into Vikings possibly being a good team! Lol

If ppl wernt buying cardinals yet they going to be now! That unfortunate since I been on that bandwagon since I saw Murray play! Lol.

I didn’t bet them today tho. Might have missed my last chance for great value? It was just a watch and see for me as Rams defense has really had Kyler’s number in the previous meetings. Wish I was a insider and had heard the confidence I heard in cards in post game interviews. They a very motivated and confident group! That game clearly meant a lot to them to announce they have arrived. Good god the west is strong!

Omg. I just saw ravens highlights. Im a huge harbaugh fan but for him to run Lamar on last play of game to get over a 100 rushing yards is insane! Imagine If he got hurt! Wow. Any wonder they had so many injuries out of preseason worrying bout their preseason record? Lol.

Again nothing we don’t already know but these refs have way to much influence on games! Far to many flags on 3rd or 4th down all across the league. Stay the fuck out of it unless it clearly a case that pi caused the incompletion!! 80% the ones I’ve seen the wr is hand fighting and creating just as much contact as the db!

I have no patients for the fact every time defense defends a pass they have to get up and look around before they celebrate!, and they best better not celebrate too much! That another thing, explain to me how the defense gets a turnover and the whole freaking team runs to endzone to pose that not “taunting”, compared to some the crap they do call taunting it makes no damn sense!

Nagy let somebody else call the plays this week which was smart since he was god awful in what he called for fields in Cleveland. There no way anyone should put that browns disaster on Fields! Just look at the positions he was put in, the fact he wasn’t given any easy throws/reads to get him into the game, or that they only handed to rb 10x all game! Honestly shocked he wasn’t fired before he got on plane! Mfer wouldn’t have gotten on my plane after he just did that to the rookie qb I invested real draft capital in!

I know it was the lions and now Montgomery hurt which isn’t going to help matters, I know I’m gonna get lash back around here, but I don’t care, There no chance in hell Dalton would be my qb ever again! My mom a huge bears fan so I want the best for them and that is undoubtedly fields playing, best way to learn is playing! 209 yards on only 11 completions something you won’t get from the ginger. Just let him take his lumps along the way, as long as Nagy not calling plays he should be as good the other rookies. They need to get Allen Robinson the ball more!

Only 4 other teams have went for 450 yards and 30 points in 1st 4 games, the other 4 all went to SB! Step on up cardinals! The way they bullied Rams on the ground today was very impressive!!!

are we sure wilson grew or just had benefit of finally seeing a crappy defense? I’m not a big Wilson buyer but the kid has had bout the toughest possible schedule to start his nfl career you could have faced! I’d think he has some good games vs bad d’s. Unfortunately for him he play in what prob the best defensive div in football!
That’s what I was thinking. Tenny D is horrible

Yes but in fairness to him he had been playing some the best defenses in the league, so maybe the truth lies somewhere in between? As I said unfortunately for him and the jets they got 5 more games in div against all very good defenses!

I’m really annoyed with Vikings at moment but might be I should be putting sone respect on the Browns defense?? They have put together b2b insanely good defensive performances. We knew they were gonna be improved, we knew it probably take some time replacing most the secondary, we could worry the comp level in these 2 suspect with qb play, but they did a number on 2 elite wr’s today! Huge test for them next week!

I’m really annoyed with Vikings at moment but might be I should be putting sone respect on the Browns defense?? They have put together b2b insanely good defensive performances. We knew they were gonna be improved, we knew it probably take some time replacing most the secondary, we could worry the comp level in these 2 suspect with qb play, but they did a number on 2 elite wr’s today! Huge test for them next week!
I didn’t see any of that game. Looks like they really shut Vikes down?

I didn’t see any of that game. Looks like they really shut Vikes down?

I only saw bits and pieces. Saw 1st drive where it looked like Vikings would have no problem hanging 30 then next thing ya know it was 3rd qrtr and they hadn’t scored again. Cut to 4th and I kept trying to switch back hoping they have a drive when it was still 11-7 but every time I saw they got ball and I switched over it was 3rd and 6+ and another incomplete pass coming!

For whatever reason cousins kept throwing it bums directions instead of Jefferson or theilen! I have to find a replay or have someone tell me wtf was goin on with that? Blanket coverage on both of them? While shutting down the run game and backs in passing game? Doesn’t seem possible does it? Cook obviously wasn’t all the way healthy yet. He made impact early but got less and less as game went on. Somehow he got 6 targets and only 2 catches for 10 yards! How the Fuxk that happen while they were apparently all over the 2 stud wrs also?!!! Mattison did fine Job as check down guy in cook place last week but got no targets in this one. I’m having a hard time deciding how much was great defense and how much was cousins and Vikings doing cousins and Vikings things?? Lol.

Jets should have another easy go of it for their offense in London next week, falcons defense doesn’t offer much resistance! Long as jets don’t think too highly of themselves this week I could see them on a 2 game win streak going into their bye! Then they feel real good bout themselves just in time to see pats again and get embarrassed! Lol

Without Dupree and Farley yes it is

They not all that good with them are they? Good news ya’ll got plenty of time to figure it out since you have the biggest gift playoff spot available! Even easier than Cowboys path to playoffs! Reminds me of half the years Brady was getting handed div crown and 1st round bye! What a luxury to play in a div where you the only team who capable of winning more games than they lose!!

Colts sold their soul gambling on Wentz who a dumpster fire, he might be able to play qb I dunno, what I do know is he clearly not a leader, nobody following him through a wall! More like he drinks the kool aid then everyone else changes minds and goes hone! Lol

They not all that good with them are they? Good news ya’ll got plenty of time to figure it out since you have the biggest gift playoff spot available! Even easier than Cowboys path to playoffs! Reminds me of half the years Brady was getting handed div crown and 1st round bye! What a luxury to play in a div where you the only team who capable of winning more games than they lose!!

Colts sold their soul gambling on Wentz who a dumpster fire, he might be able to play qb I dunno, what I do know is he clearly not a leader, nobody following him through a wall! More like he drinks the kool aid then everyone else changes minds and goes hone! Lol
They are getting better, new coordinator, bunch of new players, but those 2 were their big offseason additions to upgrade the d so not having them hurts. Im not concerned long term IF those two and Julio and AJ are healthy. If not it’ll be a problem.

They are getting better, new coordinator, bunch of new players, but those 2 were their big offseason additions to upgrade the d so not having them hurts. Im not concerned long term IF those two and Julio and AJ are healthy. If not it’ll be a problem.

Right on. Like I was saying, they have plenty of time to get healthy and correct things. 8 wins would most likely win this division! lol. Probably 9 to be safe but I’m sure that take it!

Right on. Like I was saying, they have plenty of time to get healthy and correct things. 8 wins would most likely win this division! lol. Probably 9 to be safe but I’m sure that take it!
Lol I’ll worry if they lose to the jags next week. I’m actually more worried about the OL than the d. 7 sacks by the jets is embarrassing. They will still win dd games and the division, once you’re in anything can happen, but def have things to clean up. Long season, and most of these guys sat out preseason so continuity is an issue, for now

Lol I’ll worry if they lose to the jags next week. I’m actually more worried about the OL than the d. 7 sacks by the jets is embarrassing. They will still win dd games and the division, once you’re in anything can happen, but def have things to clean up. Long season, and most of these guys sat out preseason so continuity is an issue, for now

If it makes you feel any better I said at beginning of the year that jets front 7 was gonna be able to keep them in a lot of games vs teams w suspect olines! (Guess that shouldn’t make you feel better! Lol), that was before they had few tough injuries tho. Im sure along w most the rest of the country (besides you and Brewers! Lol) I didn’t really watch any of this game, I’m assuming some those sacks prob were due to not having 2 leading wrs so had to hold ball longer?

What I’m really hearing is they have multiple weaknesses! The d and the line!! Lol. Not that you need much a defense anymore, if that was the case kc wouldn’t always be in the afc ship or SB! Just play decent and opportunistic defense should be enough with what their offense outta be. Of course when you need to get Henry 20+ carries it be best if ya could get offense back on the field. Or the positive spin, he can keep the d on the sideline where they look best!

Bills are kinda coasting on offense and still pasting teams. How the hell did they lose to Pittsburgh Week 1?

Steelers need special teams and defensive excellence to win games. Tomlin will have them pushing the envelope of legality at all times to get an edge, hence lining up offsides on a FG (the whole left side appeared to be in the neutral zone, not just Haden), Watt getting away with a trip on Rodgers, etc. They do catch what appears to be a fraudulent Broncos team next week. I've seen the Broncos in Pittsburgh with Lock before, it wasn't pretty.

I saw three trips yesterday, one by Tampa, one by TJ Watt, one by Dallas. Only one team got penalized, you can guess which.

Cowboys are really clicking on both sides of the ball right now. Run/pass balance has been exceptional. Pass rush is coming around, and Diggs is already a Pro Bowler after just four weeks, although the rest they gave him in the fourth quarter which they told the announcer was "load management" was peculiar. But remember they're playing this well without Demarcus Lawrence, with a gimpy Cooper and without Gallup on the outside. CD Lamb didn't even do much either.

I was impressed with how scrappy the Panthers played. If they can give Darnold a clean pocket they're going to be a hassle for Tampa. I count at least 6 wins in their next nine games before things get rough late.

Cleveland is playing some serious playoff football right now.....run game and defense. They'll need Landry back for the playoffs to restore some balance. Chargers and Cards next two weeks will be great tests.

Watched a good bit of the 2nd half of Ten-NYJ......Saleh doesn't appear to trust his running game. Wilson made some strides but he still doesn't protect the ball great and still makes mistakes. Tennessee and Tannehill hung in pretty well without their starting WRs, extending the game late. 298 yards passing with 35 targets to Jeremy McNichols, Chester Rogers, Josh Reynolds and Nick Westbrook-Ikhine? Give Tanny a bonus in defeat. Titans are the class of a very soft division.

KC is giving up 31 points a game. Wow. Lucky they have that Mahomes guy, and that Freak at WR. 42 points with 23 yards from Kelce? Six touchdowns with no drive under 65 yards. Chiefs/Bill next week.....YUM.

Rams got away from their running game even though Henderson was sharp all game. McVay has made a career off the slot receiver running deep crosses against teams that don't see it much. Is this a sign that the divisional teams have it figured out? Maybe.....I see you Seattle on the schedule next.

I look at the numbers in the Seattle game and wonder what the hell happened? Russ had 149 passing, Carson had 30 rushing, DK had 4 for 65 and Lockett 4 for 24 and they still put up 28 and won? Deebo.....dammit you slayed me. 26.8 points in the last 17 minutes of the game, all while trailing, all with Lance at QB.

Last note, it totally sucks that the Manning brothers aren't broadcasting the next 3 weeks.

And we learned that Shannon Sharpe remains an idiot.

“I might be the only one, but I feel very comfortable in saying, Cam Newton could be doing a better job than what Mac is doing currently.”
—Hall of Fame tight end and Fox NFL analyst Shannon Sharpe during the Bucs-Patriots game Sunday night.

Bills are kinda coasting on offense and still pasting teams. How the hell did they lose to Pittsburgh Week 1?

Steelers need special teams and defensive excellence to win games. Tomlin will have them pushing the envelope of legality at all times to get an edge, hence lining up offsides on a FG (the whole left side appeared to be in the neutral zone, not just Haden), Watt getting away with a trip on Rodgers, etc. They do catch what appears to be a fraudulent Broncos team next week. I've seen the Broncos in Pittsburgh with Lock before, it wasn't pretty.

I saw three trips yesterday, one by Tampa, one by TJ Watt, one by Dallas. Only one team got penalized, you can guess which.

Cowboys are really clicking on both sides of the ball right now. Run/pass balance has been exceptional. Pass rush is coming around, and Diggs is already a Pro Bowler after just four weeks, although the rest they gave him in the fourth quarter which they told the announcer was "load management" was peculiar. But remember they're playing this well without Demarcus Lawrence, with a gimpy Cooper and without Gallup on the outside. CD Lamb didn't even do much either.

I was impressed with how scrappy the Panthers played. If they can give Darnold a clean pocket they're going to be a hassle for Tampa. I count at least 6 wins in their next nine games before things get rough late.

Cleveland is playing some serious playoff football right now.....run game and defense. They'll need Landry back for the playoffs to restore some balance. Chargers and Cards next two weeks will be great tests.

Watched a good bit of the 2nd half of Ten-NYJ......Saleh doesn't appear to trust his running game. Wilson made some strides but he still doesn't protect the ball great and still makes mistakes. Tennessee and Tannehill hung in pretty well without their starting WRs, extending the game late. 298 yards passing with 35 targets to Jeremy McNichols, Chester Rogers, Josh Reynolds and Nick Westbrook-Ikhine? Give Tanny a bonus in defeat. Titans are the class of a very soft division.

KC is giving up 31 points a game. Wow. Lucky they have that Mahomes guy, and that Freak at WR. 42 points with 23 yards from Kelce? Six touchdowns with no drive under 65 yards. Chiefs/Bill next week.....YUM.

Rams got away from their running game even though Henderson was sharp all game. McVay has made a career off the slot receiver running deep crosses against teams that don't see it much. Is this a sign that the divisional teams have it figured out? Maybe.....I see you Seattle on the schedule next.

I look at the numbers in the Seattle game and wonder what the hell happened? Russ had 149 passing, Carson had 30 rushing, DK had 4 for 65 and Lockett 4 for 24 and they still put up 28 and won? Deebo.....dammit you slayed me. 26.8 points in the last 17 minutes of the game, all while trailing, all with Lance at QB.

Last note, it totally sucks that the Manning brothers aren't broadcasting the next 3 weeks.

Steelers pass rush played like bills insulted their momma’s!! Beginning the year, Not much action in preseason, and watt and company were possessed. Like you mentioned the offense still rounding into form. It was just a any given Sunday special. Obviously if they played next week for a playoff spot bills would win by 20ish

QB Categories

- WE GOT OUR GUY FOR THE NEXT DECADE, SLEEPING LIKE A BABY
Arizona
Dallas
Cincy
Buffalo
Baltimore
LA Chargers
Chiefs
Jacksonville

- WE GOT OUR GUY FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS AT LEAST, WE HOPE
LA Rams
Carolina
Chicago
Seattle
San Fran
Philly
Miami
New England
NY Jets
Cleveland

- HE'S A GOAT, AS LONG AS HE WANTS TO WE'LL OBLIGE
Tampa Bay
Green Bay

- MR RIGHT? WELL, MR. RIGHT NOW
Minnesota
Atlanta
New Orleans
NY Giants
Denver
Indy
Tennessee
Las Vegas

- YOU COULD SAY WE'RE IN LINE NEXT APRIL
Washington
Detroit
Houston
Pittsburgh

Love 'em Gandy

Think the only one I'd move would be Indy up to the next tier, maybe Vegas as well but that one needs more encouraging endorsements from management

Carr def belongs with “we got our guy” unfortunately as kj pointed out the management and gruden too goofy to realize! Maybe he be better off if they didn’t! Except he has such command the offense he better off staying, I’m sure he could pick up another quick tho, he a worker, one offseason then camp snd he be rocking and rolling!! He has a 5 year deal coming where he be a top 10-12 guy for all of it!

I’d put Indy in the “we on the clock” tier. I really think wentz a putz. He lacking in vital leadership areas imo.

I say that bout wentz and I thought it be a home run when Indy traded for him. Full discloser! I was wrong! Lol

Houston needs a good lawyer, they have a qb. Or had! At least so they can trade him! It crazy. Watson must have really done some raping?

How does New Orleans lose that game? Sure Danny has the best game of his life, but even then.

3 trips past the 50 in the 1st half and zero points. This one is on the coaches. Jameis played pretty well and so did Tay…..cracking Winston’s rhythm is something they gotta figure out when rotating

How does New Orleans lose that game? Sure Danny has the best game of his life, but even then.

3 trips past the 50 in the 1st half and zero points. This one is on the coaches. Jameis played pretty well and so did Tay…..cracking Winston’s rhythm is something they gotta figure out when rotating
Payton coached one of worst games I've ever seen him do yesterday.

When he couldn't get the play in and it forced a timeout that look Jameis gave him was very telling.

I do think Brees was involved a lot more in the game plan than I originally factored in, and it's taking Payton a bit longer to get to that level alone

Not to be harsh but ya’ll just not very good! Gmen lousy asses should have came into that game with the same record if not for flat out stupidity costing them the thu night game vs the WFT, then last week they had no business losing to atl when they were the better team for 56 minutes, only difference in that one was they spread the stupid mistakes out over the entire game to keep atl in it! Only reason I didn’t love nyg was all their wrs were banged up. But really that just made their wr Corp equally bad as your aints.

You sound like my teaser who has been asking me this question for the last 24 hours and the answer is still I don't know.

Not to be harsh but ya’ll just not very good! Gmen lousy asses should have came into that game with the same record if not for flat out stupidity costing them the thu night game vs the WFT, then last week they had no business losing to atl when they were the better team for 56 minutes, only difference in that one was they spread the stupid mistakes out over the entire game to keep atl in it! Only reason I didn’t love nyg was all their wrs were banged up. But really that just made their wr Corp equally bad as your aints.
I don’t think we honestly know yet. Get a few starters back soon….doesn’t happen often Saints loss is on Sean P but this was one of em

I don’t think we honestly know yet. Get a few starters back soon….doesn’t happen often Saints loss is on Sean P but this was one of em

I didn’t hardly watch any of it so ill take your word for it. I saw the goofy play where hill tried to throw deep and got picked, why would they have him doing that? Let him do goalline and plow in but brees gone there no need to take Winston out to throw deep! I’m pretty confident they not a playoff team or fringe w 9 wins at Best but they certainly a tough one to figure out as their results all over the damn place.

I didn’t hardly watch any of it so ill take your word for it. I saw the goofy play where hill tried to throw deep and got picked, why would they have him doing that? Let him do goalline and plow in but brees gone there no need to take Winston out to throw deep! I’m pretty confident they not a playoff team or fringe w 9 wins at Best but they certainly a tough one to figure out as their results all over the damn place.
Then you missed the play right before where Jameis completed the long TD pass that was called back for offensive holding lol.
I have watched every play this year…they aren’t a great team by any stretch but the Saints have players and good ones. Just a bizaare game

Then you missed the play right before where Jameis completed the long TD pass that was called back for offensive holding lol.
I have watched every play this year…they aren’t a great team by any stretch but the Saints have players and good ones. Just a bizaare game

lol. Was it a blatant hold or some typical nfl bull shit? So Winston throws a td and called back so they insert Hill to throw deep? Odd.

Oh there no doubt ya’ll still have some really good top end talent, my concern was depth after them having to get under cap, Thomas really screwed everyone too. He would make jamis so much better! I was really rooting for saints to be good for 1st time ever cause I want Winston to succeed but by time the season got here just didn’t think he was getting the team brees left behind.

A few things really jumped out at me.

First, I look like an idiot for going all in on the Hot Take factory statements of the Giants and Colts’ seasons being over last week. Good call by me there.

But one thing you really remember in a week like this is that it’s still the NFL and there’s a desperation that happens when you’re winless. Kudos to the Giants and Colts for going on the road and not quitting. More on them in a second.

Second, the major actionable thing I took away from this week overall is, unfortunately, injuries.

This may be one of those weeks were there isn’t as much talk about injuries because you don’t have some big name, starting QB have their leg ripped off and thrown into the sea. Which is something part of me wants to see, but also feels bad about ever rooting for.

But the point is, this week, a bunch of teams started getting cluster injuries. Cluster injuries and just volumes of injuries. For example:

Tampa Bay basically doesn’t have any cornerbacks any more. Yes, they brought in Richard Sherman, but I think he’s the only one who made it out of that game healthy. Which means none of their starting corners from the season are around. I’m pretty sure they’re signing practice squad players at this point. This secondary has huge issues with injury. This screams overs with this team. The major problem with that, as we saw last night, is that when there’s no Gronk, Brady isn’t as good in the redzone.

Denver didn’t so much have positional cluster injuries, although with two of their WRs out you could argue they already did, but they took a number of hits on defense yesterday. I don’t know who’s out or not for next week, but the overall hit to Denver coming out of this game was really significant. Which is shitty for the Donks and also bad for me personally as, if these two teams were healthy, I’d definitely be betting Denver at Pittsburgh next week. As it is, I think that game is Pittsburgh or pass.

Pittsburgh is also a mess, but I feel like they’re a slightly healthier mess than Denver right now. And, if Bridgewater is out next week, I can’t in good conscience bet on Drew Lock over Big Ben—even though Ben looks like shit right now and will probably limp his way through this entire season before he retires. I’m still sticking with, ‘The Steelers suck,’ until further notice—even though at -1 this week they’re very tempting.

Speaking of injuries, the hits just keep on coming for San Francisco. I saw a lot of love for Seattle coming into this game and I stayed off because I’m trying to believe my SF to win the division bet still has legs. But this week their kicker couldn’t go and now Jimmy G. is hurt. This might be a blessing in disguise in some ways at the QB spot, but I’m not sure of that. They also lost Trent Williams on the OL. Their secondary also worries me. Basically, this team has more questions than answers for me right now. Which is funny because if people keep betting up Arizona, I will probably be on the other side and back this MASH unit on Sunday. Arizona is historically a really bad favorite. Great dog, but a bad favorite.

Maybe the one other team that felt like it got really dinged up coming out of last night was Green Bay which sucks. I mean, I was on them so it would have sucked more had they not gotten the money, but it still sucks because GB was really falling into that category for me of, ‘They’re back and ready to run their way up to 13 wins.’ Now they may have to limp along here for a week or two. Nice let down spot for them this week, imo, especially vs. a Cincy team that has started really slow in the first half all year and is finally making noise about doing something about it.

All right, let’s see if anything from specific teams can make us money.

Philly: This is one I know, and I hope that I’ve been able to help some people with them the last two weeks. Also, I’m mad I didn’t play the over in this game. I don’t even have a good reason, I just didn’t look hard at totals this week because there were sides I liked and well, phtpth, missed out on the money here.

Here’s the thing, as early as the draft Philly knew and essentially admitted their secondary was the weakest part of the team. They lost Jalen Mills to NE, the were already thin at corner, etc. Then, in the draft, they chose to go skill players and OL this year and save CB for free agency/the draft next year. Totally fine. But now Brandon Graham is out. This means you can block this Eagles’ DL if you have a decent OL. That means you are going to give your QB time to feast on that secondary.

This is exactly what has happened the last two weeks. And there’s no reason to think that will not continue for the rest of the season. If this team plays a good QB with a decent OL, they’re giving up 27. Conversely, the Birds did something smart yesterday which may be really good for Jalen Hurts long term. They. Played. Fast. It helped they were playing a defense that can’t stop anyone, but this is the way this team is going to see if Hurts is their guy. And it’s great for overs.

Big problem for the Eagles on offense is, yesterday only one OL who was their Week 1 starter was their Week 4 starter. They’re going to be an OL problem child all year.

Kansas City: I finally understand who Mahomes reminds me of, it’s young Brett Farve. There are times when his mobility would allow him to just take the 5-6 yard play the defense has broken down to give him. But instead he tries to do something awesome for like 30+. Which is cool, but also really frustrating. You’re better than they are, just keep moving the ball. Also, this team can’t stop anybody. So stop being dumb, take six and nine yards a play, and win 30-24.

Also, I can’t believe it’s over a decade later and we’re still talking about Andy Reid not being able to manage a clock, but we are. I can talk more about this if anybody cares, but this is also frustrating. Anyway, I’m teasing Buffalo this week. I can’t see any other way. KC’s defense demands it.

Buffalo: I heard a stat this AM that the last team to throw up to 30+ point shutouts was the 2001 Ravens team that won it all. I don’t think Buffalo’s defense is that good, but damn this team seems like they’re in playoff form.

Tennessee: Sigh. So, I think Tenny made a bit of a business decision this week. I don’t know how hurt Brown and Jones are, but they were hurt ‘enough’ that Tenny said they could beat the shitty Jets without them. And here we are. Again, it’s still the NFL and these guys are playing for their lives every week. Also, this sucks for Henry because you shouldn’t force that guy to start carrying your team in Week 4. Do that and he won’t make it until Week 20 when you really need him. I still like this team, but this was a bad loss, no way around it. You allowed seven sacks for fuck’s sake. SEVEN. IN ONE GAME. TO THE JETS. May make for a good bounce back team this week, though you need to see what the injury situation is.

Fuck the Jets. I won’t play it, but what a terrible spot for them in London this weekend.

Atlanta: Atlanta also sucks, and I keep telling myself to throw out that Week 1 loss and look at this team accordingly. When you do that what you see is a team that is getting better on offense and, esp. yesterday, really moving the ball well. But they are still a team that doesn’t really know how to win. I have a lot of trouble backing them unless they’re in really favorable spots or are catching a lot of points.

Washington: The secret is out. I’m not sure who said it here either last week or the week before, but this defense is a mess. That secondary is a mess. They can’t stop anybody, which is a huge problem, because the entire premise of Washington competing for the playoffs is, that defense is so good, they will score 20 and win. Not right now they won’t. Now you’re asking a rookie to play over his head to give you a shot every week.That’s worked twice against two bad teams in NY and Atlanta, but that luck is going to run out in a big way—as we saw vs. Buffalo.

Carolina: This was such a super sexy pick this week. So many seemed like they were on it that I laid off Dallas thinking maybe I was the one who was missing the boat here. But without McCaffrey you can just scheme this team different. And if you have a good OL or can get a good game out of your OL, well, it’s probably going to be a long day for Carolina, at least against good teams.

That said, in the scheme of their schedule, I don’t think this was penciled as a win. I like the spot for them at home this week. Philly may give them fits if they play fast and move Hurts around, but I think everything Carolina wanted to do against Dallas’ OL but couldn’t, they do here. They had 1 QB hit and zero sacks this week. WAT. My guess is they fix that vs. Philly. Also, KC ran for like nine yards a carry against Philly. That inability to stop the run should allow Carolina to be far more balanced and have more success this week.

I hate to keep saying this, but Dallas is good. The big question was going to be that defense, but that’s always been one thing Dan Quinn can do. This game wasn’t as close as the score. Dallas is good.

Miami is a total clusterfuck. I’m not sure how many people saw this coming, but it’s a disaster. Like, I give the Giants credit for winning in NO. Yes, the Saints collapsed, but the Giants won that game. I’m not totally sure Indy won this game as much as Miami lost it. This entire team looks confused and like they’re falling apart. It’s giving me flashbacks to early Flores when people thought he was in over his head. No way I can back this team right now or any time soon.

Indy: Same. I don’t care that they won. No way I can back them. Unless you can tell me they’re playing a team that cannot stop the run at all. Then, cool. Then I will look at them. Otherwise, hard pass. They got up off the mat yesterday, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them end up back there next week, largely because they have to go to Baltimore. At night. Fuuuuck that.

Baltimore: I had the Donks, I was wrong. Now, had I known Drew Lock would be playing an entire half of that football game I would ‘not’ have had the Donks, but these things happen. Also, I thought this was a good let-down spot for Balty. Kudos to them for treating that last second win in Detroit almost like a loss, and kudos to Lamar for this win. Denver admitted that their game plan was to make Lamar beat them from the pocket. And Lamar beat them from the pocket. I think this bodes poorly for Indy next week too.

Chicago is going to go back to Dalton if he’s healthy, which may be the right thing to do since Nagy doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing with Fields. But I don’t have any faith in Dalton behind that OL and if he’s back under center, I’m back looking to play against the Bears.

Cleveland: This team is good. One thing that jumped out at me yesterday, and Cleveland really embodies this, was how the good teams found a way to win and the teams that are just on the cusp of that, found a way to lose a game they should win. For example: New Orleans, Tennessee, New England (not the better team, but could have easily won that game and didn’t). Conversely, a team like Cleveland goes in, Mayfield sucks out loud, but their defense holds Minny to next to nothing, and get it done in Minny. I think Cleveland is good.

Minny: I still think this team is who I’ve thought they’d be all year.. They seem like they’re on that same level as a handful of mid-tier NFC teams with Seattle, Arizona, Carolina, and NO, but slightly worse. Anyway, nothing about the NFC North is interesting to me to back unless it’s a healthy Green Bay. Everything else, I’ll pass or go against. Yes, including Detroit who apparently could have had a shot in that game but had like five trips into the redzone where they got exactly zero points. Impressive.

New Orleans
: Twinkie has talked a bit about how you blow an 11 point lead with six to go in the game. But all I saw at the end of that thing was an NO defense that seemed gassed and a Saquon Barkley who felt like he could do anything he wanted to them. Which, short of putting two fingers in their asshole at an area Hooter’s, I believe he did. Still, looking at the box score, I’m genuinely confused at how this team lost. So is my teaser which never did anything to hurt anyone and is now dead in the street.

A couple of overall notes:

As overs make a comeback (did they finally split 50/50 yesterday?), there are some teams I want to look at to provide them:
  • KC
  • Arizona
  • LA Rams
  • Tampa
  • Dallas
  • Washington
(Also, the Raiders are 2-1 to the over going into MNF, so they could make this list as well)

Teams that have have not hit an over through four weeks:
  • NE
  • Denver
  • LA Chargers
  • Pittsburgh
There’s then a huge number of teams that are 1-3 to the over, but one of which that may surprise you is Buffalo. You need two teams to hit an over.

Teams that are currently 3-1 or better ATS:
  1. Dallas (4-0)
  2. Denver
  3. Buffalo
  4. Arizona
  5. Green Bay
  6. Cleveland
  7. Carolina

Buffalo and GB are on a run of three straight here, btw.

Teams that are 1-3 ATS so far (everybody bad, also KC & TB):
  1. KC
  2. TB
  3. Jax
  4. Wash
  5. NYJ
  6. Pitt
  7. Philly
  8. SF
  9. Atlanta

Obviously Pitt is on a three game streak here, same with Philly. And KC was 0-3 ATS before yesterday.

I’d go into sacks allowed, but I think yesterday really skewed some of the numbers for teams. Tenny gave up seven so now they’re the worst in the league—obviously skewed. Denver gave up five, skewed. But sandwiched in there are Chicago, Miami, and the Jets. Which still applies.

Also, Cleveland is still giving up like three sacks a game. That is not good. Same with Baltimore. That probably won’t matter for Baltimore this week vs. Indy, but it may for Cleveland out in L.A. vs. the Chargers.

it's absolutely crazy that arizona is still +750 to win the nfc after watching them go into LA and never struggle with the lambs, while the fuckaneers and slackers are both patching together defenses to get by each week. looking at the schedules, i wouldn't be surprised if the cards get 1st seed.

Through four games this year, the Chargers in the third quarter have put up 7, 3, 0, and 0 points respectively.

Something to think about when thinking about second half totals.

Raiders are a team to stay away from. They're about as erratic a team I've ever seen.

They seem to adjust well, though. Isn't this three straight weeks where they've come back hard out of half and either won or made it a game. Probably not a first half team though as evidenced by, well, their entire season so far.

A few things really jumped out at me.

First, I look like an idiot for going all in on the Hot Take factory statements of the Giants and Colts’ seasons being over last week. Good call by me there.

But one thing you really remember in a week like this is that it’s still the NFL and there’s a desperation that happens when you’re winless. Kudos to the Giants and Colts for going on the road and not quitting. More on them in a second.

Second, the major actionable thing I took away from this week overall is, unfortunately, injuries.

This may be one of those weeks were there isn’t as much talk about injuries because you don’t have some big name, starting QB have their leg ripped off and thrown into the sea. Which is something part of me wants to see, but also feels bad about ever rooting for.

But the point is, this week, a bunch of teams started getting cluster injuries. Cluster injuries and just volumes of injuries. For example:

Tampa Bay basically doesn’t have any cornerbacks any more. Yes, they brought in Richard Sherman, but I think he’s the only one who made it out of that game healthy. Which means none of their starting corners from the season are around. I’m pretty sure they’re signing practice squad players at this point. This secondary has huge issues with injury. This screams overs with this team. The major problem with that, as we saw last night, is that when there’s no Gronk, Brady isn’t as good in the redzone.

Denver didn’t so much have positional cluster injuries, although with two of their WRs out you could argue they already did, but they took a number of hits on defense yesterday. I don’t know who’s out or not for next week, but the overall hit to Denver coming out of this game was really significant. Which is shitty for the Donks and also bad for me personally as, if these two teams were healthy, I’d definitely be betting Denver at Pittsburgh next week. As it is, I think that game is Pittsburgh or pass.

Pittsburgh is also a mess, but I feel like they’re a slightly healthier mess than Denver right now. And, if Bridgewater is out next week, I can’t in good conscience bet on Drew Lock over Big Ben—even though Ben looks like shit right now and will probably limp his way through this entire season before he retires. I’m still sticking with, ‘The Steelers suck,’ until further notice—even though at -1 this week they’re very tempting.

Speaking of injuries, the hits just keep on coming for San Francisco. I saw a lot of love for Seattle coming into this game and I stayed off because I’m trying to believe my SF to win the division bet still has legs. But this week their kicker couldn’t go and now Jimmy G. is hurt. This might be a blessing in disguise in some ways at the QB spot, but I’m not sure of that. They also lost Trent Williams on the OL. Their secondary also worries me. Basically, this team has more questions than answers for me right now. Which is funny because if people keep betting up Arizona, I will probably be on the other side and back this MASH unit on Sunday. Arizona is historically a really bad favorite. Great dog, but a bad favorite.

Maybe the one other team that felt like it got really dinged up coming out of last night was Green Bay which sucks. I mean, I was on them so it would have sucked more had they not gotten the money, but it still sucks because GB was really falling into that category for me of, ‘They’re back and ready to run their way up to 13 wins.’ Now they may have to limp along here for a week or two. Nice let down spot for them this week, imo, especially vs. a Cincy team that has started really slow in the first half all year and is finally making noise about doing something about it.

All right, let’s see if anything from specific teams can make us money.

Philly: This is one I know, and I hope that I’ve been able to help some people with them the last two weeks. Also, I’m mad I didn’t play the over in this game. I don’t even have a good reason, I just didn’t look hard at totals this week because there were sides I liked and well, phtpth, missed out on the money here.

Here’s the thing, as early as the draft Philly knew and essentially admitted their secondary was the weakest part of the team. They lost Jalen Mills to NE, the were already thin at corner, etc. Then, in the draft, they chose to go skill players and OL this year and save CB for free agency/the draft next year. Totally fine. But now Brandon Graham is out. This means you can block this Eagles’ DL if you have a decent OL. That means you are going to give your QB time to feast on that secondary.

This is exactly what has happened the last two weeks. And there’s no reason to think that will not continue for the rest of the season. If this team plays a good QB with a decent OL, they’re giving up 27. Conversely, the Birds did something smart yesterday which may be really good for Jalen Hurts long term. They. Played. Fast. It helped they were playing a defense that can’t stop anyone, but this is the way this team is going to see if Hurts is their guy. And it’s great for overs.

Big problem for the Eagles on offense is, yesterday only one OL who was their Week 1 starter was their Week 4 starter. They’re going to be an OL problem child all year.

Kansas City: I finally understand who Mahomes reminds me of, it’s young Brett Farve. There are times when his mobility would allow him to just take the 5-6 yard play the defense has broken down to give him. But instead he tries to do something awesome for like 30+. Which is cool, but also really frustrating. You’re better than they are, just keep moving the ball. Also, this team can’t stop anybody. So stop being dumb, take six and nine yards a play, and win 30-24.

Also, I can’t believe it’s over a decade later and we’re still talking about Andy Reid not being able to manage a clock, but we are. I can talk more about this if anybody cares, but this is also frustrating. Anyway, I’m teasing Buffalo this week. I can’t see any other way. KC’s defense demands it.

Buffalo: I heard a stat this AM that the last team to throw up to 30+ point shutouts was the 2001 Ravens team that won it all. I don’t think Buffalo’s defense is that good, but damn this team seems like they’re in playoff form.

Tennessee: Sigh. So, I think Tenny made a bit of a business decision this week. I don’t know how hurt Brown and Jones are, but they were hurt ‘enough’ that Tenny said they could beat the shitty Jets without them. And here we are. Again, it’s still the NFL and these guys are playing for their lives every week. Also, this sucks for Henry because you shouldn’t force that guy to start carrying your team in Week 4. Do that and he won’t make it until Week 20 when you really need him. I still like this team, but this was a bad loss, no way around it. You allowed seven sacks for fuck’s sake. SEVEN. IN ONE GAME. TO THE JETS. May make for a good bounce back team this week, though you need to see what the injury situation is.

Fuck the Jets. I won’t play it, but what a terrible spot for them in London this weekend.

Atlanta: Atlanta also sucks, and I keep telling myself to throw out that Week 1 loss and look at this team accordingly. When you do that what you see is a team that is getting better on offense and, esp. yesterday, really moving the ball well. But they are still a team that doesn’t really know how to win. I have a lot of trouble backing them unless they’re in really favorable spots or are catching a lot of points.

Washington: The secret is out. I’m not sure who said it here either last week or the week before, but this defense is a mess. That secondary is a mess. They can’t stop anybody, which is a huge problem, because the entire premise of Washington competing for the playoffs is, that defense is so good, they will score 20 and win. Not right now they won’t. Now you’re asking a rookie to play over his head to give you a shot every week.That’s worked twice against two bad teams in NY and Atlanta, but that luck is going to run out in a big way—as we saw vs. Buffalo.

Carolina: This was such a super sexy pick this week. So many seemed like they were on it that I laid off Dallas thinking maybe I was the one who was missing the boat here. But without McCaffrey you can just scheme this team different. And if you have a good OL or can get a good game out of your OL, well, it’s probably going to be a long day for Carolina, at least against good teams.

That said, in the scheme of their schedule, I don’t think this was penciled as a win. I like the spot for them at home this week. Philly may give them fits if they play fast and move Hurts around, but I think everything Carolina wanted to do against Dallas’ OL but couldn’t, they do here. They had 1 QB hit and zero sacks this week. WAT. My guess is they fix that vs. Philly. Also, KC ran for like nine yards a carry against Philly. That inability to stop the run should allow Carolina to be far more balanced and have more success this week.

I hate to keep saying this, but Dallas is good. The big question was going to be that defense, but that’s always been one thing Dan Quinn can do. This game wasn’t as close as the score. Dallas is good.

Miami is a total clusterfuck. I’m not sure how many people saw this coming, but it’s a disaster. Like, I give the Giants credit for winning in NO. Yes, the Saints collapsed, but the Giants won that game. I’m not totally sure Indy won this game as much as Miami lost it. This entire team looks confused and like they’re falling apart. It’s giving me flashbacks to early Flores when people thought he was in over his head. No way I can back this team right now or any time soon.

Indy: Same. I don’t care that they won. No way I can back them. Unless you can tell me they’re playing a team that cannot stop the run at all. Then, cool. Then I will look at them. Otherwise, hard pass. They got up off the mat yesterday, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them end up back there next week, largely because they have to go to Baltimore. At night. Fuuuuck that.

Baltimore: I had the Donks, I was wrong. Now, had I known Drew Lock would be playing an entire half of that football game I would ‘not’ have had the Donks, but these things happen. Also, I thought this was a good let-down spot for Balty. Kudos to them for treating that last second win in Detroit almost like a loss, and kudos to Lamar for this win. Denver admitted that their game plan was to make Lamar beat them from the pocket. And Lamar beat them from the pocket. I think this bodes poorly for Indy next week too.

Chicago is going to go back to Dalton if he’s healthy, which may be the right thing to do since Nagy doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing with Fields. But I don’t have any faith in Dalton behind that OL and if he’s back under center, I’m back looking to play against the Bears.

Cleveland: This team is good. One thing that jumped out at me yesterday, and Cleveland really embodies this, was how the good teams found a way to win and the teams that are just on the cusp of that, found a way to lose a game they should win. For example: New Orleans, Tennessee, New England (not the better team, but could have easily won that game and didn’t). Conversely, a team like Cleveland goes in, Mayfield sucks out loud, but their defense holds Minny to next to nothing, and get it done in Minny. I think Cleveland is good.

Minny: I still think this team is who I’ve thought they’d be all year.. They seem like they’re on that same level as a handful of mid-tier NFC teams with Seattle, Arizona, Carolina, and NO, but slightly worse. Anyway, nothing about the NFC North is interesting to me to back unless it’s a healthy Green Bay. Everything else, I’ll pass or go against. Yes, including Detroit who apparently could have had a shot in that game but had like five trips into the redzone where they got exactly zero points. Impressive.

New Orleans: Twinkie has talked a bit about how you blow an 11 point lead with six to go in the game. But all I saw at the end of that thing was an NO defense that seemed gassed and a Saquon Barkley who felt like he could do anything he wanted to them. Which, short of putting two fingers in their asshole at an area Hooter’s, I believe he did. Still, looking at the box score, I’m genuinely confused at how this team lost. So is my teaser which never did anything to hurt anyone and is now dead in the street.

A couple of overall notes:

As overs make a comeback (did they finally split 50/50 yesterday?), there are some teams I want to look at to provide them:
  • KC
  • Arizona
  • LA Rams
  • Tampa
  • Dallas
  • Washington
(Also, the Raiders are 2-1 to the over going into MNF, so they could make this list as well)

Teams that have have not hit an over through four weeks:
  • NE
  • Denver
  • LA Chargers
  • Pittsburgh
There’s then a huge number of teams that are 1-3 to the over, but one of which that may surprise you is Buffalo. You need two teams to hit an over.

Teams that are currently 3-1 or better ATS:
  1. Dallas (4-0)
  2. Denver
  3. Buffalo
  4. Arizona
  5. Green Bay
  6. Cleveland
  7. Carolina

Buffalo and GB are on a run of three straight here, btw.

Teams that are 1-3 ATS so far (everybody bad, also KC & TB):
  1. KC
  2. TB
  3. Jax
  4. Wash
  5. NYJ
  6. Pitt
  7. Philly
  8. SF
  9. Atlanta

Obviously Pitt is on a three game streak here, same with Philly. And KC was 0-3 ATS before yesterday.

I’d go into sacks allowed, but I think yesterday really skewed some of the numbers for teams. Tenny gave up seven so now they’re the worst in the league—obviously skewed. Denver gave up five, skewed. But sandwiched in there are Chicago, Miami, and the Jets. Which still applies.

Also, Cleveland is still giving up like three sacks a game. That is not good. Same with Baltimore. That probably won’t matter for Baltimore this week vs. Indy, but it may for Cleveland out in L.A. vs. the Chargers.

I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think the hamstring injuries to AJ and Julio are that bad. I think it’s a combination of Tenn being cautious as hammies can be tricky, and you don’t want it to linger all year, along with it being a long season and it’s early, and neither got work in the preseason so they are working up to game speed and putting them out there “injured” now only increases chance of aggravating the injury. Let them rest, I’d guess one plays Sunday, at least. The OL is a more troubling issue as this is the 2nd game they’ve gotten whipped, but not sure I can put it on them here as they had absolutely zero pass catching threat to speak of

Back