Week 3 B1G...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I want to get this started before we get lost in the shuffle around tomorrow's activities etc...

Few things to discuss....

-How bad is Minnesota?
-Why is Don Brown allowed back in the practice facility?
-How do we rate the OSU running backs overall?
-I definitely need a low-down on the Iowa-NW game as I saw none of it. I predicted the score pretty close though...so whoopy.
-What is the latest on the Wisconsin situation? Is that decision coming tomorrow?

I'll start with the home-team. I did start getting a bit of question in my head after watching Minnesota on Friday night. I knew they had a bad defense but man... Anyways...with that being said...I expected that even with a medium showing on Saturday Michigan could take care of Sparty pretty easily, despite it being a rivalry game. Obviously, quite wrong.

What went wrong? Um...I told you the corners were going to be an issue. You lose a guy like Ambry and have a guy with no hips and a youngster out there and bad things will happen. Obviously, a lot of flags early...which is fine if you want to call it tight..at least be consistent. They were not...but it should never come to that. But, again, I didn't think Lombardi could take advantage of that at all. I still do not rate him highly. He made some nice throws, at the perfect times. He deserves credit but that may well be his biggest moment all season.

So, sticking with the defense...despite Don Brown leaving those guys out there on islands...somehow Michigan got very little pressure against a shaky OL. That, I cannot explain other than to credit the Sparty players. They won the trenches.

On offense, that was my least favorite Gattis called game in 13 months. Why pound it into the middle? It felt like JH manball concepts at times. Joe is a competitor and fought hard but he also forced things in the 2nd half. The young OL was average on Saturday after a very good first start.

Now, young OL and young QB...you expect bumps in the road. You expect 3 losses this year...the outrage is when you lose to what will be a 3 win team, tops...and an instate rival. Hence, here we are.

With all that being said...down 3 in the 4th quarter and a critical 3rd and 3...Rocky throws a soft floater that the MSU kid catches... problem is...he didn't...it hit the ground. Refs call it a catch... somehow...NO CHALLENGE FLAG! I am still curious who is in charge of this? I would assume an analyst has constant contact with the coach? Obviously the bottom line is Jim...but this is general a system of things in football to get that red flag thrown. Absolutely ridiculous they blew that. They could of 'stolen' a home game by getting the ball back there only down 3 points.

The whole coaching staff deserves a D for Saturday. A few quotes after were interesting. Brown needed to go last year but he keeps hanging on and it sucks. Gattis is still my guy... Wish JH wasn't johnny family guy now and still had ants in his pants but oh well...age and children happen to people.

To the rest of Saturday...

About what you would expect in Happy Valley...I will say...Fields has improved immensely as a passer. He is making more and more NFL throws now.

Indiana got the job done eventually....Rutgers is getting more competitive...

Anyone with a recap of Nebraska and Wisconsin?

That Friday night game, wow...just won...

Purdue playing really solid ball right now. I have only seen a few clips...but looking at the boxes...they are taking care of business....

An Iowa QB had 50 pass attempts...what year are we in?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week...

Couple quick thoughts and questions....

I had planned before last weekend on playing IU with points this weekend. I need to sit and think about this a bit and perhaps look at all angles but that is still in my head... total in that game is intriguing as well...

I need to watch Iowa film. The one win doesn't get me high on Michigan State at all. Will they be more competitive than they should despite very little time to learn a new system? Perhaps. But I still feel pretty good about how I have them capped overall.

Welcome back Nebraska, this should be a fun game. Northwestern is playing their part so far.

Even though Rutgers is showing signs of life, this is still a practice game for Ohio State. It just depends on how you want to attack this looking for spots in-game.

I doubt this Purdue-Wisky game happens...but if so...that is a lot of intrigue for me...

Illinois looks like hot garbage and Minnesota is so bad defensively. Will that matter this week? I would think a bit...can they outscore them enough to cover though?

This is a let-down spot for PSU and Taulia and company will see an actual defense again. This is a lot of points but it should be right around the number you would think. The Lions did well vs the IU offense overall and obviously last week is a game you can be excited about holding them under 40 to be honest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the thread late-night Wednesday.

Let's have some great discussion boys.

wisky ain't playing again. no way they can be in the conf title game, not playing a fourth of your games, is there?

Iowa's top receiver Smith-Marsette suspended for the Mich St game (OWI after NW game) for anyone who has a lean. Don't know what to make of that game, Iowa fan-- they look like shit so far but always play NW terrible. Petras has received high praise during the preseason but very much still getting his feet under him. I'm not impressed by MSU either. Not a Mel Tucker fan. Line seems a touch high, but I did expect Iowa to be a small favorite.

Last edited:
Iowa's top receiver Smith-Marsette suspended for the Mich St game (OWI after NW game) for anyone who has a lean. Don't know what to make of that game, Iowa fan-- they look like shit so far but always play NW terrible. Petras has received high praise during the preseason but very much still getting his feet under him. I'm not impressed by MSU either. Not a Mel Tucker fan. Line seems a touch high, but I did expect Iowa to be a small favorite.
Thx for the info

Just watched 4th qtr of nw/iowa. Basically a repeat of the 3rd. I think nebraska wins on Saturday, assuming they're no worse than -1 in turnovers and they get a reasonably fair shake from the zebras.

Omar Manning says he's playing. Manning, Wandale, McCaffrey, and Mills with Martinez should be too much for the cats. I think our defense should do fine. NW just not a good enough OL or enough speed at WR. I suppose they may churn out a few 13 play drives for pts, but can you really count on doing that multiple times?

Iowa is 0-2, but could just as easily be 2-0 or 1-1. Iowa had the lead in the second half of both games and couldn't keep it. They outgained both opponents and while NW's early turnovers last week gifted Iowa some free points, Iowa themselves have turned it over as well. Turnovers have been even in both their games 2 a piece vs Purdue and 3 a piece vs Northwestern. Iowa is still trying to find their right mix starters in some spots on D and OL.

Iowa's new punter is a 23 year old Australian freshman Tory Taylor, is top 10 nationally with a 46.10 avg on 10 punts.

I would want to bet them vs Mich St, but I don't like the line as I could easily envision another one possession game either way.

Iowa is 0-2, but could just as easily be 2-0 or 1-1. Iowa had the lead in the second half of both games and couldn't keep it. They outgained both opponents and while NW's early turnovers last week gifted Iowa some free points, Iowa themselves have turned it over as well. Turnovers have been even in both their games 2 a piece vs Purdue and 3 a piece vs Northwestern. Iowa is still trying to find their right mix starters in some spots on D and OL.

Iowa's new punter is a 23 year old Australian freshman Tory Taylor, is top 10 nationally with a 46.10 avg on 10 punts.

I would want to bet them vs Mich St, but I don't like the line as I could easily envision another one possession game either way.

it always hard to wanna lay points with them.

Iowa or nothing. Desperate and more talented team, at home, playing a team who just beat their arch rivals....Line is where it is for a reason.

Iowa or nothing. Desperate and more talented team, at home, playing a team who just beat their arch rivals....Line is where it is for a reason.

I agree, it just when the option is laying a td with them or passing I often choose pass. I do think they the right side but doesn’t mean they won’t end up grinding out a ugly 3-6 point win.

Okay...News...Notes and Thoughts...

Wisconsin did cancel the Purdue game after I started this thread. No surprises here... I fully expect that they cancel the Michigan game as well. Yes, 15 players have the 21 day protocol but methinks that things would be different with QB's available (not sure their current percentages but it sounds like it was THEIR decision again).

Michigan best OL, Mayfield, is out. Nothing significant here... thankfully... as he was very late opting back in. He is a first round pick next spring.

Michigan will have 3 new starters in total this week. Plenty of excellent young talent there, so I do not mind this at all.

This was apparently overheard last week...

"An early sideline interaction: After the first series, when Michigan went three-and-out, Josh Gattis came over to the Michigan offensive line and asked them what the problem was. He asked them in very loud terms, what’s the problem with the complacency? He really laid into them"

Indiana TT for me this week...maybe game over too...

I do think they win it on the field...say 31-24 / 30-27 kinda game.

Whop should do a lot of damage...Michigan will score as well...

I think Don Brown will adjust a bit... but the issues at CB are what they are. You could move Dax over, but that creates another hole.

Perfect football weather this weekend....

I honestly have no interest in the rest of the conference this week...

Iowa and MSU should give some clarity.... NW and Nebraska will be a fun one as well...

How are these Wisconsin games not forfeits? You have 100-man rosters. No dates available for rescheduling. Go play the game. They are choosing not to play without their full roster.

Forfeit.
They absolutely should be forfeits.

They play crap schedules to pad their W/L year in and year out. They didn't want to have the chance of losing some games they shouldn't.

If the QBs were healthy, they would be playing.

I don’t disagree with you guys at all but ultimately what would that mean? Nobody would consider any win gained in that way would they? I mean we just gonna throw a extra win on the total of whomever wiscy doesn’t play? Surely wiscy can’t be considered for any kind of title games or playoffs if they only play 4-5 games right?

I don’t disagree with you guys at all but ultimately what would that mean? Nobody would consider any win gained in that way would they? I mean we just gonna throw a extra win on the total of whomever wiscy doesn’t play? Surely wiscy can’t be considered for any kind of title games or playoffs if they only play 4-5 games right?
B1G rules: play 6 games & eligible for championship game

So 6-0 gets in. I assume over a 7-1 team.

Can’t imagine CFP though. If OSU loses, that’ll just be SEC-ACC Challenge.

B1G rules: play 6 games & eligible for championship game

So 6-0 gets in. I assume over a 7-1 team.

Can’t imagine CFP though. If OSU loses, that’ll just be SEC-ACC Challenge.

i don’t know the particulars but judging off what you guys saying it really don’t seem fair to the others what they doing. Like other than the qb how many guys we talking bout wiscy missing?

i don’t know the particulars but judging off what you guys saying it really don’t seem fair to the others what they doing. Like other than the qb how many guys we talking bout wiscy missing?
What if Indiana stays undefeated and then has a RB or two test positive before they play Ohio St on 11/21. They can just decide not to play that game & stay undefeated, right?

Or even better, Northwestern could choose not to play Wisconsin, knocking Wisconsin out of eligibility for the B1G championship game (Wisconsin would them be down to 5 games).

What if Indiana stays undefeated and then has a RB or two test positive before they play Ohio St on 11/21. They can just decide not to play that game & stay undefeated, right?

Or even better, Northwestern could choose not to play Wisconsin, knocking Wisconsin out of eligibility for the B1G championship game (Wisconsin would them be down to 5 games).

you don’t gotta make the argument to me, I understand what you saying. I’m just asking how many exactly is wiscy missing? I feel like I recall one the big10 rules being something about percentage of team having it you gotta shut down as one the conditions to a season, I don’t know what it was exactly tho or how many wiscy has on the Rona list?

Hey, @B.A.R. .....best of luck this week.

I can't find that CFB underdog contest anywhere. Can you link me or direct me? Thanks

I thought @B.A.R. would find this funny but Jets fans are jerking it to the thought of luring Harbaugh to save the franchise. I am definitely in favor of him staying in Ann Arbor.

I thought @B.A.R. would find this funny but Jets fans are jerking it to the thought of luring Harbaugh to save the franchise. I am definitely in favor of him staying in Ann Arbor.
He's a helluva pro coach.

But, he lost his fire between Nov 16 and Jan 17...

It circles around on occasion but not the same guy.

This is his last job most likely ..whether he retires after this year or in several years.

The media will fire up the NFL rumor mill soon though. It's like clockwork every year.

I heard someone say when harbaugh done at Michigan he will buy a RV and drive around the country, and he wasn’t joking so think BAR right this be it for jimbo.

He's a helluva pro coach.

But, he lost his fire between Nov 16 and Jan 17...

It circles around on occasion but not the same guy.

This is his last job most likely ..whether he retires after this year or in several years.

The media will fire up the NFL rumor mill soon though. It's like clockwork every year.
His offenses are consistently way too conservative for my liking. You guys can't be thrilled that he looks like he will never get over the hump and beat Ohio State and win the conference.

His offenses are consistently way too conservative for my liking. You guys can't be thrilled that he looks like he will never get over the hump and beat Ohio State and win the conference.

imo nobody going to Michigan and consistently beating osu anytime soon. Maybe a oddball year but not often. I think anyone killing harbaugh for what he done there is completely unrealistic. I kinda agree with the conservativeness on offense but fact is The difference in recruiting power is far to great, osu the only big10 team bringing in the kind of athletes to look like and compete with the southern powers.

You would think he could find one freaking qb at some point! Lol

imo nobody going to Michigan and consistently beating osu anytime soon. Maybe a oddball year but not often. I think anyone killing harbaugh for what he done there is completely unrealistic. I kinda agree with the conservativeness on offense but fact is The difference in recruiting power is far to great, osu the only big10 team bringing in the kind of athletes to look like and compete with the southern powers.
Michigan is a traditional power and should be able to challenge OSU.

Michigan is a traditional power and should be able to challenge OSU.

I disagree. Traditional yes but I believe it much easier to get the kind of athletes you need to osu for a number of reasons. That simply ain’t happening anywhere else in the big10, I don’t think it matters who you hire.

Derrick Davis Jr announcing tomorrow

Penn St/ Ohio St/ LSU

Some LSU guys feel good here. Would be really weird off the Sage announcement on Halloween.

Figure I’d put this here get more action.
Y’all have an inkling here B10 guys?!

Would be wild if he ends up in BR

Yeah, but I understand what it is now. He had it in 2016 but tough to win in that situation

They are a football factory, no one else is in conference. Nothing will change for a long time either.

Penn St/ Ohio St/ LSU

Some LSU guys feel good here. Would be really weird off the Sage announcement on Halloween.

Smoke?

Anyone?

Bet your ass I’m tuned in to the Meeeeeeexhigan game early

Bet your balls to a barstool type bet

I really hope Wisky plays next Saturday....and it's not due to who they are playing ....

Yeah, but I understand what it is now. He had it in 2016 but tough to win in that situation

They are a football factory, no one else is in conference. Nothing will change for a long time either.
Ohio State is clearly the top program in the conference but Michigan should at least be a real threat to them and probably win 2 out of 5 games against them instead of being blown out every year.

Penn St/ Ohio St/ LSU

From an OSU insider

Again, my pick is OSU. But I do think LSU has made a major push in recent months, he has been talking to them pretty extensively since the spring.

It's still hard for me to wrap my brain around it being LSU without a real visit with the coaches and everything, but I know that has always been a school that he respected in terms of the DB legacy.

I really think PSU is out. A big part of my confidence in OSU over the past year has been that I just don't think he's going to PSU.

Right or wrong, I'll be able to go into more detail after the announcement.

Along with the 3 OL shuffle... expect to see things a bit different in secondary...maybe more Dax at corner. We'll see.

I still have TT, basic play (25.5....is 25 currently). I'll keep eye on game total live.

No regular thread this week but I'll definitely be peaking my Liberty boys TT (smaller than usual ... possessions worry me).

Along with the 3 OL shuffle... expect to see things a bit different in secondary...maybe more Dax at corner. We'll see.

I still have TT, basic play (25.5....is 25 currently). I'll keep eye on game total live.

No regular thread this week but I'll definitely be peaking my Liberty boys TT (smaller than usual ... possessions worry me).
Indiana TT?

And why not the game over in VT/Liberty instead of Liberty TT? Have you been planing the Liberty TT in previous weeks?

Back